View Full Version : Samford Gives Hatcher A Contract Extension

SU DOG
January 30th, 2019, 01:36 PM
According to STATS FCS Editor Craig Haley, the extension is a 5 year deal through the 2023 season.

Reign of Terrier
January 30th, 2019, 02:20 PM
This is great for the Socon as a conference but terrible for individual members looking to go undefeated in conference play.

FUBeAR
January 30th, 2019, 03:31 PM
According to STATS FCS Editor Craig Haley, the extension is a 5 year deal through the 2023 season.
Locking him down just in case (not saying it will or even might, but just in the, highly unlikely, case) a more attractive job opens up in his hometown at the end of this season, huh?

Somebody’s thinking in the Athletic Dept. in Homewood.

SU DOG
January 30th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Locking him down just in case (not saying it will or even might, but just in the, highly unlikely, case) a more attractive job opens up in his hometown at the end of this season, huh?

Somebody’s thinking in the Athletic Dept. in Homewood.

WOW! That is an interesting thought that I'll admit hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure about the more attractive description, however.

FUBeAR
January 30th, 2019, 04:13 PM
WOW! That is an interesting thought that I'll admit hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure about the more attractive description, however.
Do you think it’s crossed Coach Hatcher’s mind?

Check all that apply below...

_ Without a doubt
_ Certainly
_ Of course
_ Abso-f’in-lutely

The Cats
January 30th, 2019, 10:37 PM
I think one escape from Macon was enough for Hatcher, doubt he wants to return.

CID1990
January 31st, 2019, 06:25 AM
I’m not so sure how a coach who can’t figure out how to consistently beat lowly The Citadel (with two different SoCon teams) is so valuable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
January 31st, 2019, 06:54 AM
According to STATS FCS Editor Craig Haley, the extension is a 5 year deal through the 2023 season.BTW...separate thread for this? Seems like “SoCon Off-season 2019” news to me, but maybe not...maybe Samford Football IS bigger than the SoCon.

The Homewood Fans are just might start sounding like Appy or GaSou fans soon :)

walliver
January 31st, 2019, 09:10 AM
Usually contract extensions are quickly followed by coaching departures.

All a contract extension really does is guarantee the school a decent buy-out.

SU DOG
January 31st, 2019, 09:38 AM
BTW...separate thread for this? Seems like “SoCon Off-season 2019” news to me, but maybe not...maybe Samford Football IS bigger than the SoCon.

The Homewood Fans are just might start sounding like Appy or GaSou fans soon :)

I started to put this on the other thread, but that thread was started by you, and according to your instructions we were to use that thread to discuss things our favorite team is doing in the offseason to better themselves and the SoCon. Technically, since the extension is not a change, the news doesn't qualify as a factor to better(or worsen) our team situation or the SoCon. Ga Southern or Appy fans comparison? Hope that was tongue-in-cheek as I think you know me better than that.

FUBeAR
January 31st, 2019, 09:52 AM
I started to put this on the other thread, but that thread was started by you, and according to your instructions we were to use that thread to discuss things our favorite team is doing in the offseason to better themselves and the SoCon. Technically, since the extension is not a change, the news doesn't qualify as a factor to better(or worsen) our team situation or the SoCon. Ga Southern or Appy fans comparison? Hope that was tongue-in-cheek as I think you know me better than that.Ha...you might want to jump into the fray on the Political Forum...trying to make the case that solidifying your Head Coaching situation for 5 years is NOT a development to improve your favorite Team is as far-fetched as some of the arguments I see made there.

Your kindred spirits at GaSou would very much disagree with your assertion...well, they would, in general, not necessarily or specifically with Coach Hatcher being the Head Coach solidified. They are pretty bigoted against the #HatchAttack down in StenchBurro

SU DOG
January 31st, 2019, 10:22 AM
Hopefully the extension WILL be a good move. However, Samford Fans are definitely divided on the issue.

ElCid
January 31st, 2019, 07:49 PM
Is there a clause that states he must actually institute a running game? Or not give up leads in the fourth quarter or the extension is null and void?

PaladinFan
February 1st, 2019, 10:06 AM
Hopefully the extension WILL be a good move. However, Samford Fans are definitely divided on the issue.

At this level, I think it will tie Samford to Hatcher for a while. FCS schools seem highly reluctant to buy out a coach's contract (there's just not the sort of money to throw around on bad decisions that there is at the FBS level).

I think Hatcher is a good coach. I think he's always been a good coach. The question that I have long had about Hatcher is whether he is too tied to his brand of football. Like, if something isn't working, can you rely on him to step back and make a change?

FUBeAR
February 1st, 2019, 10:26 AM
At this level, I think it will tie Samford to Hatcher for a while. FCS schools seem highly reluctant to buy out a coach's contract (there's just not the sort of money to throw around on bad decisions that there is at the FBS level).

I think Hatcher is a good coach. I think he's always been a good coach. The question that I have long had about Hatcher is whether he is too tied to his brand of football. Like, if something isn't working, can you rely on him to step back and make a change?Coach Hatcher does NOT seem to be much of a Bowie fan, does he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8