PDA

View Full Version : College recruiting

DD Wildcat
April 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Mass kids don't alway's get a fair shake. I have coached at Bellingham High school for 10 years and have seen plenty of talented kids get overlooked in the state. I watched as big school after big school shyed away from Ricky Santos and many other players from our leauge as well as across the state. Fortunately I had a chance to talk to a recruiter from Deleware last year and he says they think mass is producing quality athletes that are being overlooked and finally convinced people at Deleware they should be staking more intrest. For the record Deleware took 4 mass players this year hopefully it will payoff. The reason for the post is we currently have player who will be a senior next year 6'2 205 L.B who is a freak on the football field runs a 4.6 and is drawing very little intrest and it blows my mind! If you look across FCS ur a seeing more mass players, but the number should be much higher in my opinion! For the record Ricky has always been slow lol but what makes him rush well is his vision and football IQ! sorry Rick u are slow!LOL

Coach O

MplsBison
April 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I'm sure UMass wants to keep them out!

Pageoner
April 10th, 2007, 09:03 PM
ha. good read!

UNH 40
April 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Unfortunately high school athletes are looked at by college recruiters much like college players are looked at by NFL scouts. In many cases in both scinario's the athletes are judged by the level in which they competed at rather than their football playing ability. This is why you see so many great pros come from smaller schools, because the big schools are unwilling to risk giving a scholarship to a kid who competed at a lower level of high school competition.

Marcus Garvey
April 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately high school athletes are looked at by college recruiters much like college players are looked at by NFL scouts. In many cases in both scinario's the athletes are judged by the level in which they competed at rather than their football playing ability. This is why you see so many great pros come from smaller schools, because the big schools are unwilling to risk giving a scholarship to a kid who competed at a lower level of high school competition.

Good point, but I think you need to say "perceived" lower level of high school competition. What matters is the perception college recruiters have. New England high school football is not highly thought of throughout much of the country, including the Mid-Atlantic region. This is not a fair assesment.

UNH 40
April 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
[/QUOTE]good point, but I think you need to say "perceived" lower level of high school competition. What matters is the perception college recruiters have. New England high school football is not highly thought of throughout much of the country, including the Mid-Atlantic region. This is not a fair assesment.[/QUOTE]

You are correct perceived is the right word. There is a lot of good football players in the New England region. Even in my native Vermont where only 36 schools even play football.

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
You are correct perceived is the right word. There is a lot of good football players in the New England region. Even in my native Vermont where only 36 schools even play football.

It's a matter of perception...and of numbers. Thirty-six schools don't provide much depth as it relates to recruiting. Texas has over 1,100 public high schools playing football and another 100 in the private school ranks. If even one player per school got a I-AA scholarship, that would fill well over 40 schools' entire recruiting classes.

It would also help Vermont football if its flagship school actually played football. Outside of Alaska, Vermont is the only state in the Union without its flagship school playing football.

The issues of 1974 are long gone, and there's no good reason why the Catamounts aren't playing somewhere--if not the CAA, maybe the Patriot.

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
isn't vermont pouring most of their money into basketball?
i know their mens and womens teams have been damn good lately.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
If certain areas are undervalued, it would be reflected in the results of the programs that recognize it. Maybe it is. In the South, this issue is seen with regard to the various levels of play, based on school size (A, AA, AAA, AAAA, etc.). Players from the smaller schools are less highly recruited in general, though with enough athleticism it doesn't matter... Darius Walker (ND) went to a small school in GA (his backup is now a reserve at FU).

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
its too bad that northeast football has always been looked down upon from people from the south because they do play quality ball

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
It's a matter of perception...and of numbers. Thirty-six schools don't provide much depth as it relates to recruiting. Texas has over 1,100 public high schools playing football and another 100 in the private school ranks. If even one player per school got a I-AA scholarship, that would fill well over 40 schools' entire recruiting classes.

It would also help Vermont football if its flagship school actually played football. Outside of Alaska, Vermont is the only state in the Union without its flagship school playing football.

The issues of 1974 are long gone, and there's no good reason why the Catamounts aren't playing somewhere--if not the CAA, maybe the Patriot.

Or the AE so we could start a conference.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
isn't vermont pouring most of their money into basketball?
i know their mens and womens teams have been damn good lately.

Yes, but it is still piss-poor. The school plays in an old, hot gym, and it is a shame because they have great fan support.

They just gave their coach a raise but he is not in the upper echelon of AE coachs. Also, they had the full-allotment of rides three years ago, mind you, they played hoops for over 100 years.

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
yeah you guys beat them by like two points in the AE finals right?
i remember there being that clip showed alot where the vermont player dunked on the Albany player.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, right, we did beat them, for the first time at their place ever, and they were favorites, and ranked higher. Guess what? It was our second straight year we went to the tourney by beating them...and oh yeah, we graduated three of our top players the year before....they returned everyone.

Your point? It better not be funding...because this was merely our 7th year of DI compare to their 100.

Worry about that sorry-ass situation up in Durham.

Next.

Marcus Garvey
April 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM

This topic has been beaten to death in the past. There's no good reason why they ought to start a program. They'll have to deal with Title IX issues, which means dropping other men's sports and/or adding women's sports. They have no facilities, so those have to be built. There's no public outcry for football. Let sleeping dogs lie. And anyway, there's no hard evidence that a Catamount team would succeed in the same recruiting territory where they failed miserably over 30 years ago. All anyone can offer is gut-instincts. Too much money is at stake for that.

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
what happened in 74
sorry.

Marcus Garvey
April 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
what happened in 74
sorry.

That was when the University of Vermont dropped their football program. Primarily because they sucked (never won a conference title), had little fan support, the lack of prep football in Vermont, New Hampshire (compared to the southern New England states), or the neighboring region of New York (i.e., lousy recruiting base) led to the decision.