PDA

View Full Version : UNI / Appy not happening

nmatsen
April 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041007aaa.html

Its confirmed, we are playing Drake again this year. Thats okay because it is a guaranteed victory but why are we playing in Des Moines? This is a joke. I think I am going to see if we can get Drake's athletic director to see if she can schedule us a game in the dome next year with Iowa. xsmiley_wix

UNI MadCat
April 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
It does suck, but we were pretty much SOL no matter what, from the sounds of it. Our options were going to Mississippi State, Appy St or Drake. We've got enough tough games on the schedule and considering the comittee doesn't give much weight to playing a tough schedule, we couldn't afford to do it. From the sounds of it, the proposal from MSU was "enough to make RH listen" but when they factored in paying their way down there, the fact that we already have a BCS game, etc... it didn't make sense. And I think we all know by now that both ADs and coaches of ASU and UNI wanted to avoid playing eachother at all costs. So, I guess that made Drake the "most" attractive option out of some less than attractive options.

It might make your blood boil even more but not only are we going there, but we had to buy out one of their games just to do it.

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I am rather surprised you will travel to drake but not to app... :(

mcveyrl
April 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I am rather surprised you will travel to drake but not to app... :(

It's probably exponentially cheaper for a "cupcake" game (I would never call any win a guarantee) as opposed to flying to NC, taking buses to Boone and playing in a place where the home team hasn't lost in years.

Not that they wouldn't, I'm just not surprised.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Traveling to Drake is basically a home game for UNI fans.

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM
what level of football does Drake play... sorry for my ignorance but all I know about Drake is Zach Johnson, the masters winner, went to school there

crunifan
April 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah, for those who don't know, Drake is in Des Moines. So it's only an hour and a half away from Cedar Falls.

Last year when we played in Des Moines, there were more UNI fans in the stands than Drake fans. Plus, it is pretty much a sure win. xnodx

Hopefully we can get a deal with App. State next year. I really would like to see that happen.

EDIT: They are FCS Non-Scholarship. They play in the Pioneer League with San Diego, Dayton, etc.

UNI MadCat
April 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Good recap CR.

Yes, basically it's just a chance for us to get our Des Moines alumni (of which there are MANY) even more involved. Heck, in the month of September, they'll be seeing a lot more of the Panthers than the Cedar Valley -- Ames is only 20-30 minutes from Des Moines and we play @ Iowa State two weeks earlier.

JALMOND
April 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
They're still classed as FCS. It has to look better playing them on the schedule than say, Minn State-Mankato, I would think.

nmatsen
April 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
To those who select it does, to those who have played games against Junior College teams, D-II schools, I-AA schools, I-AA non-scholly schools and I-A schools from both small and large conferences (Big XII and MAC) I can tell you that I-AA non-scholly is at the bottom of that list, considerably lower than a D-II school.

April 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM
*2007 UNI Football Schedule*

*_Date Opponent Site Time _***

*Thurs., Aug. 30 Minnesota State, Mankato UNI-Dome 7:05 p.m.*

Sat., Sept. 8 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa 6 p.m.

Sat., Sept. 15 at South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. 7 p.m.

Sat., Sept. 22 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa TBA

Sat., Sept. 29 at Illinois State* Normal, Ill. 1:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 6 OPEN

*Sat., Oct. 13 Southern Illinois* (Homecoming) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.*

Sat., Oct. 20 at Western Illinois* Macomb, Ill. 6:05 p.m.

*Sat., Oct. 27 Youngstown State* (Family Weekend) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.*

Sat., Nov. 3 at Missouri State* Springfield, Mo. 1 p.m.

*Sat., Nov. 10 Indiana State* UNI-Dome 5:05 p.m.*

*Sat., Nov. 17 Southern Utah UNI-Dome 5:05 p.m.*

* - Indicates Gateway Football Conference game

April 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
To those who select it does, to those who have played games against Junior College teams, D-II schools, I-AA schools, I-AA non-scholly schools and I-A schools from both small and large conferences (Big XII and MAC) I can tell you that I-AA non-scholly is at the bottom of that list, considerably lower than a D-II school.xrolleyesx

JALMOND
April 11th, 2007, 02:36 AM
*2007 UNI Football Schedule*

*_Date Opponent Site Time _***

*Thurs., Aug. 30 Minnesota State, Mankato UNI-Dome 7:05 p.m.*

Sat., Sept. 8 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa 6 p.m.

Sat., Sept. 15 at South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. 7 p.m.

Sat., Sept. 22 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa TBA

Sat., Sept. 29 at Illinois State* Normal, Ill. 1:30 p.m.

Sat., Oct. 6 OPEN

*Sat., Oct. 13 Southern Illinois* (Homecoming) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.*

Sat., Oct. 20 at Western Illinois* Macomb, Ill. 6:05 p.m.

*Sat., Oct. 27 Youngstown State* (Family Weekend) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.*

Sat., Nov. 3 at Missouri State* Springfield, Mo. 1 p.m.

*Sat., Nov. 10 Indiana State* UNI-Dome 5:05 p.m.*

*Sat., Nov. 17 Southern Utah UNI-Dome 5:05 p.m.*

* - Indicates Gateway Football Conference game

Damn! I knew I should have posted Wisconsin-Platteville instead of MSU-Mankato. A few dozen schools that play in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin and I had to pick the one. xoopsx

gr8ness97
April 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Wait, Southern Utah is in the Gateway????!! :p

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
still a pretty nice schedule... wish it had asu on it