PDA

View Full Version : Ty Gregorak not returning as Montana State Bobcats’ defensive coordinator

BisonTru
January 8th, 2019, 10:44 PM
https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/montana-state-bobcats/2019/01/08/ty-gregorak-not-returning-as-montana-state-bobcats-defensive-coordinator/

BOZEMAN — Ty Gregorak, who took over as the Montana State defensive coordinator in 2016, will not return to the Bobcats this fall, according to multiple sources.
Gregorak previously coached at the University of Montana, where he was the linebacker coach from 2003-09 and the defensive coordinator from 2011-15. He joined the staff at Montana State after Jeff Choate was hired to take over the program prior to the 2016 season.

mvemjsunpx
January 8th, 2019, 11:32 PM
The reason for this isn't clear yet, but it doesn't seem like he already has a job lined up.

And Andrew Schmidt's contention that Gregorak turned MSU's defense into a "top-three" unit is a stretch to say the least.

uofmman1122
January 9th, 2019, 12:02 AM
The reason for this isn't clear yet, but it doesn't seem like he already has a job lined up.

And Andrew Schmidt's contention that Gregorak turned MSU's defense into a "top-three" unit is a stretch to say the least.
True, but they definitely got a lot better.

Catbooster
January 9th, 2019, 12:28 AM
True, but the bar wasn't set very high by the previous coordinator.

mvemjsunpx
January 9th, 2019, 12:42 AM

Right. MSU's defense was shockingly terrible Ash's last couple years.

grizband
January 9th, 2019, 01:02 AM

Who's now coming back as the Defensive Coordinator.

Kane Ioane, who was the DC in 2015, is returning as the Cats new Coordinator.

Catbooster
January 9th, 2019, 01:30 AM

Hmmm... I'm not sure whether Kane was ever more than co-defensive coordinator in any way other than title. Hard to tell. I've never cared for the co-coordinator thing.

Choate is a defensive-minded coach. Kane is still fairly young. I wonder if Choate wants someone he can mold. Kane just spent 2 years as defensive quality control at Washington. Choate has good ties to Peterson, so I suppose he's satisfied that Kane can handle it. I guess we'll find out. We're going to have some young coordinators next year between Matt Miller and Kane Ioane.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 9th, 2019, 01:32 AM
1. He was fired he didnt quit. He had no choice but to "resign".
2. Last week (Tuesday or Weds) he reached out to Messingham at NDSU and talked about KState and a possible LB coaching position.
3. Ty is currently talking to one other school about a DC position
4. Gregorek is a certified tool and I hope Klieman is nt stupid enough to touch this guy.

grizband
January 9th, 2019, 01:51 AM

Hmmm... I'm not sure whether Kane was ever more than co-defensive coordinator in any way other than title. Hard to tell. I've never cared for the co-coordinator thing.

Choate is a defensive-minded coach. Kane is still fairly young. I wonder if Choate wants someone he can mold. Kane just spent 2 years as defensive quality control at Washington. Choate has good ties to Peterson, so I suppose he's satisfied that Kane can handle it. I guess we'll find out. We're going to have some young coordinators next year between Matt Miller and Kane Ioane.
Kane would definitely be a young coordinator Choate could mold to his own philosophy. With Miller and Ioane as the Coordinators next season, both MSU Coordinators will be under 40 years old. I'm already looking forward to following how they perform.

wapiti
January 9th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Top three in FCS. Yes that would be a huge stretch.

Top three in Big Sky. That is not a stretch.

wapiti
January 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know if NAU has a HC set for next year yet?

I have heard a unsubstantiated rumor he may bo going to Kansas State as LB coach.

mvemjsunpx
January 9th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Top three in FCS. Yes that would be a huge stretch.

Top three in Big Sky. That is not a stretch.

That's what I meant.

MSU only ranked in the top-3 in two defensive stats: fumble recoveries & first downs allowed. They were 4th. in all three aggregate yardage categories, but their per-play/per-carry metrics were noticeably worse (ranking about in the middle of the league). Gregorak is also known as a bend-but-don't-break guy, but MSU's redzone D this season was lousy—they allowed about 5.7 points-per-RZ-trip.

mvemjsunpx
January 9th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know if NAU has a HC set for next year yet?

They hired Memphis DC Chris Ball (they also just hired Jerry Partridge to be DC).

SUU's got an open spot at DC since Andy Thompson apparently just backed out of that job to be the DC at Sac State.

Silenoz
January 9th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Absolutely terrible under Kane
Turn around almost overnight with Gregorak
Fire Gregorak and hire back Kane

That's like something we would do

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 10:42 AM
2. Last week (Tuesday or Weds) he reached out to Messingham at NDSU and talked about KState and a possible LB coaching position.
4. Gregorek is a certified tool and I hope Klieman is nt stupid enough to touch this guy.MSU may have been the worst defensive team to set foot in the Fargo Dome this year (actually, it was probably a push between SIU and them)

Silenoz
January 9th, 2019, 10:54 AM
MSU may have been the worst defensive team to set foot in the Fargo Dome this year (actually, it was probably a push between SIU and them)

UNA and Cal Poly are both much worse

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM
UNA and Cal Poly are both much worseDebatable, I am talking about what I saw in the dome and I saw all the games. The MSU D was MIA in Fargo in the playoffs. SIU was worse on D than either UNA or CP

Silenoz
January 9th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Debatable, I am talking about what I saw in the dome and I saw all the games. The MSU D was MIA in Fargo in the playoffs. SIU was worse on D than either UNA or CP

That's the problem, you see everything through the NDSU filter, where all results are distorted because of the dominance happening. That MSU unit put up respectable numbers all season despite having one of the most anemic and one dimensional offenses in the country, where literally the best defensive player on the team was forced to run the wildcat for an entire season.

I'm not saying they were great or anything, but it's all relative.

And I don't know why Ty was let go, but knowing him he was probably pissed at the position Choate's ****-ass offense kept putting him in and let him know about it.

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 11:06 AM
That's the problem, you see everything through the NDSU filter, where all results are distorted because of the dominance happening. That MSU unit put up respectable numbers all season despite having one of the most anemic and one dimensional offenses in the country, where literally the best defensive player on the team was forced to run the wildcat for an entire season.

I'm not saying they were great or anything, but it's all relative.Yea, I watched SDSU drop 40+ on them and about 500 yards of offense, so there is that. I didn't say they were the worst D in the country, I said they were the worst D I saw in the dome with the nod to SIU. UNA seemed to be significantly more physical on defense than MSU was but teams perform different in different games, I get that.

X-Factor
January 9th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Debatable, I am talking about what I saw in the dome and I saw all the games. The MSU D was MIA in Fargo in the playoffs. SIU was worse on D than either UNA or CP

NDSU offense looked to me like they were playing harder, more focused, and a whole season of execution behind them for MSU. That had something to do with the 50 burger we hung with ease. I’m not defending MSU D because it was BAD, just not SIU or Cal Poly bad.

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 11:13 AM
NDSU offense looked to me like they were playing harder, more focused, and a whole season of execution behind them for MSU. That had something to do with the 50 burger we hung with ease. I’m not defending MSU D because it was BAD, just not SIU or Cal Poly bad.MSU should have had a whole season of execution behind them on D as well. I will settle with this, it is tie between SIU, CP and MSU for the worst D's that played in the dome this year. MSU also gave up a ton of points to Weber State and CP and I saw both those teams play and wasn't impressed with either offensively.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 9th, 2019, 11:40 AM
MSU may have been the worst defensive team to set foot in the Fargo Dome this year (actually, it was probably a push between SIU and them)
You will never get me to argue that fact. I was never happier a coach left Montana as when TG left. He is slightly above average and hes a meathead.

MSU wont be any worse, its an upgrade with him leaving

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 9th, 2019, 11:42 AM

I'm not saying they were great or anything, but it's all relative.

And I don't know why Ty was let go, but knowing him he was probably pissed at the position Choate's ****-ass offense kept putting him in and let him know about it.

He wasnt "let go" he was fired. Choate gave him the option to look like he resigned but thats not the real truth

Silenoz
January 9th, 2019, 11:48 AM
He wasnt "let go" he was fired. Choate gave him the option to look like he resigned but thats not the real truth

Isn't that the same thing?

And I imagine KSU fans are going to be livid if he gets hired as their LB coach. Coordinator for two programs that finish with middling numbers, gets fired twice, and yet somehow falls upwards into the B12? Makes no sense.

Derby City Duke
January 9th, 2019, 12:24 PM

And I imagine KSU fans are going to be livid if he gets hired as their LB coach. Coordinator for two programs that finish with middling numbers, gets fired twice, and yet somehow falls upwards into the B12? Makes no sense.

The "Lane Kiffin" school of professional advancement...xthumbsupx

clawman
January 9th, 2019, 08:38 PM
4. Gregorek is a certified tool and I hope Klieman is nt stupid enough to touch this guy.
Tool enough to OWN the Grizzlies!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 10th, 2019, 12:29 AM
Tool enough to OWN the Grizzlies!!

Aww the little bastard step brother has spoken! Everyone owns Montana now and its not gonna change in the near future.

Speaking of getting ****ing owned, you should probably have waited a couple more weeks to comment after that ass kicking blood letting in Frisco last weekend!

FUBeAR
January 10th, 2019, 06:26 AM
The "Lane Kiffin" school of professional advancement...xthumbsupxfrom which, Tom Arth must have graduated Summa cum Laude.

MTfan4life
January 10th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Yea, I watched SDSU drop 40+ on them and about 500 yards of offense, so there is that. I didn't say they were the worst D in the country, I said they were the worst D I saw in the dome with the nod to SIU. UNA seemed to be significantly more physical on defense than MSU was but teams perform different in different games, I get that.

If you want to point out one or two game outliers, you should make sure to point out that only one team all season held Western Illinois under 200 passing yards. That was Montana State. So, they were the worst D you saw all season, but in Sean McGuire's eyes, they might have been one of the best defenses he saw this season.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 12th, 2019, 03:12 AM
Somebody get the popcorn, this is gonna blow up.............................xshakingmadx

POD Knows
January 12th, 2019, 08:44 AM
If you want to point out one or two game outliers, you should make sure to point out that only one team all season held Western Illinois under 200 passing yards. That was Montana State. So, they were the worst D you saw all season, but in Sean McGuire's eyes, they might have been one of the best defenses he saw this season.They were the worst defense I saw in the Fargo dome, that was my statement and I stand by it. Actually, they were probably tied with SIU for the worst D.

SeattleGriz
January 13th, 2019, 05:16 PM

And I imagine KSU fans are going to be livid if he gets hired as their LB coach. Coordinator for two programs that finish with middling numbers, gets fired twice, and yet somehow falls upwards into the B12? Makes no sense.That's as bad as firing a winning coach for one who had an even worse showing his first year.

Grizalltheway
January 13th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Word on the street is there was some hanky panky going on between Gregorak's wife and the DBs coach.

mvemjsunpx
January 13th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Word on the street is there was some hanky panky going on between Gregorak's wife and the DBs coach.

Is there something to this beyond the "KHaslam" posts on BobcatNation (I'm guessing that's Alpha in disguise)?

BisonTru
January 13th, 2019, 08:28 PM

****ing the boss's wife.... xscanxxsmhx

Grizalltheway
January 13th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Is there something to this beyond the "KHaslam" posts on BobcatNation (I'm guessing that's Alpha in disguise)?
Yes. Word on the street.

wapiti
January 13th, 2019, 09:55 PM

Even if this is true, it is still GOSSIP!!!!! Leave it to a griz fan to be a busy body and spreader of gossip. This would be a private matter and did not need to be spread to a national forum.
Take this bag of wind back to egriz.

BisonTru
January 13th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Even if this is true, it is still GOSSIP!!!!! Leave it to a griz fan to be a busy body and spreader of gossip. This would be a private matter and did not need to be spread to a national forum.

https://media.giphy.com/media/146heXDX89mUgw/giphy.gif

Grizalltheway
January 13th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Get a grip man. xrolleyesx

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 13th, 2019, 11:29 PM
Is there something to this beyond the "KHaslam" posts on BobcatNation (I'm guessing that's Alpha in disguise)?Well you guessed wrong not me, I've been banned from that site and haven't looked at it in almost 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 22nd, 2019, 07:05 PM
Wonder why all these coaches are "resigning" at Montana State?

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/former-montana-state-assistant-mark-orphey-named-cornerbacks-coach-at/article_bc415aa0-74db-5ff4-8270-4f550999a502.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 22nd, 2019, 09:02 PM

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/former-montana-state-assistant-mark-orphey-named-cornerbacks-coach-at/article_bc415aa0-74db-5ff4-8270-4f550999a502.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Is it because the best Quarterback they could find was a LB??

Bisonator
January 23rd, 2019, 08:23 AM

Probably getting bored beating the Griz every year.xcoffeex

Iridebikes
January 23rd, 2019, 10:06 AM
Looks like he's climbing the ladder to me. Hope its an opportunity that pays off for him.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 23rd, 2019, 11:08 AM
Ty and this guy didn't just "resign" in the middle of recruiting.

Let me make a list of coaches at every level of football that quit in January.

Ty Gregorek and Orphrey........... Wonder why the only 2 to "resign" were on the same team.

If only there was more to it..............

Bisonator
January 23rd, 2019, 12:36 PM
Ty and this guy didn't just "resign" in the middle of recruiting.

Let me make a list of coaches at every level of football that quit in January.

Ty Gregorek and Orphrey........... Wonder why the only 2 to "resign" were on the same team.

If only there was more to it..............

Once you've had black........xlolx

Silenoz
January 28th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Once you've had black........xlolx

Too soon

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 1st, 2019, 12:00 AM
Its never too soon for the truth!