PDA

View Full Version : Boring.....just go FBS already

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Seriously, what's the point at this juncture???

BisonBacker
January 5th, 2019, 10:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CDqD1KV.jpg

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 10:56 PM
It's ridiculously boring....NDSU is basically operating at an FBS-level now and essentially has no real competition at this level. Congrats but you guys should be playing at a higher level...it's maddeningly obvious.

BisonBacker
January 5th, 2019, 10:58 PM
It's ridiculously boring....NDSU is basically operating at an FBS-level now and essentially has no real competition at this level. Congrats but you guys should be playing at a higher level...it's maddeningly obvious.

What FBS conference is going to take NDSU? You paying for the new venue/dome NDSU will need to play at the FBS level? Hey I'd love to see NDSU make the move and I may be in the minority of NDSU fans on that but I don't disagree with them in the conference issue. Some of them seem to think the dome would be big enough but it's not. Not for FBS ball. But the conference issue is still there.

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:02 PM
It's boring...if Holy Cross had won the last 7 of 8 FCS championships (which of course they nevah will) I'd be, "Is that all there is?"

Time for NDSU to move on.

BisonTru
January 5th, 2019, 11:06 PM

You're not wrong. If we could hit a switch and go we would. Unfortunately the second post was also correct.

BisonTru
January 5th, 2019, 11:07 PM
It's boring...if Holy Cross had won the last 7 of 8 FCS championships (which of course they nevah will) I'd be, "Is that all there is?"

It was time 4 years ago, but it's not up to us (NDSU).

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:11 PM
You could probably go MAC tomorrow....I understand, you're nevah going to be B1G or Big 12 probably for a variety of reasons....but you have to admit, it's kind of a joke that you guys are still FCS.

cx500d
January 5th, 2019, 11:12 PM

Aren't you the one that says you don't care about the FCS championship anyways? All you care about is getting on the Ivy schedule

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Aren't you the one that says you don't care about the FCS championship anyways? All you care about is getting on the Ivy schedule

I am...but that goes to my point basically...the FCS-level exists for a reason....it's not a level that you want to dominate like an Alabama, Clemson et. al.....it's very good football but it has its place in college athletics

BisonTru
January 5th, 2019, 11:16 PM
You could probably go MAC tomorrow....I understand, you're nevah going to be B1G or Big 12 probably for a variety of reasons....but you have to admit, it's kind of a joke that you guys are still FCS.

Why would the MAC want a team way out of their footprint???

I agree it's a joke, or geography...

cx500d
January 5th, 2019, 11:18 PM
I am...but that goes to my point basically...the FCS-level exists for a reason....it's not a level that you want to dominate like an Alabama, Clemson et. al.....it's very good football but it has its place in college athletics

If you don't care about the FCS, and all you care about is some sort of pity table scrap affirmation from the Ivies, why do you care about this?

DFW HOYA
January 5th, 2019, 11:22 PM

Of course they do...just not in the Northeast.

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:23 PM
The FCS could and should be a good level.....nothing against NDSU, but you are basically running an FBS-level program at the FCS-level....it is what it is. Congrats on your success but you are a basically an FBS program beating up on FCS teams....

DFW HOYA
January 5th, 2019, 11:26 PM
There's nothing stopping anyone else from competing with NDSU--it's not like they are in the epicenter of college football talent.

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:32 PM
They have a lot of advantages (that other schools have admittedly)....easy admissions, no real FCS recruiting competition in their area, state funding, only show in town etc etc.....again, nothing against them...but NDSU really is an outlier in the FCS world....it's no wonder they dominate at this level.

walliver
January 5th, 2019, 11:32 PM
Does any FBS conference really want NDSU?
NDSU doesn't have the stadium or the market for P5 - they currently have UCF, Memphis and Houston available if needed.
FBS currently has no football-only conferences like the MVFC, CAA football, Big South football, or Pioneer; so a G5 bid would be all sports only, and few AD's want to fly their tennis and volleyball teams to North Dakota. NDSU is a geographic outlier for all G5 conferences - and what G5 conference members want to add another "L" to their schedule?
If the Bison went independent, they could play Liberty and NMSU twice a year, but who wants to do that?
Unless the long-discussed realignment of the G5 and top FCS teams actually occurs (it has been discussed for 20 years), NDSU is in FCS for the foreseeable future and someone just needs to step up and knock them down.

cx500d
January 5th, 2019, 11:36 PM
There's nothing stopping anyone else from competing with NDSU--it's not like they are in the epicenter of college football talent.
How could a state with less people than one of your suburbs be the epicenter of football talent?

Sader87
January 5th, 2019, 11:40 PM
How could a state with less people than one of your suburbs be the epicenter of football talent?

There are really only a handful of FCS/1-AA programs in the Midwest....and kids, to your credit, are drawn to a winning program like NDSU.

Again....I'm not saying you guys are doing things wrong....just that you're at the wrong level of football.

PaladinFan
January 6th, 2019, 04:10 AM

They are also aided by teams that have already transitioned to the FBS.

Just my opinion, but I think it far less likely that NDSU has 7 titles if App State and GSU are still hanging around. Almost certainly those programs would have met in the post season a number of times the past few years.

X-Factor
January 6th, 2019, 05:52 AM
These threads are boring

When will people learn? I’m going with never

BisonBacker
January 6th, 2019, 07:13 AM
There are really only a handful of FCS/1-AA programs in the Midwest....and kids, to your credit, are drawn to a winning program like NDSU.

Again....I'm not saying you guys are doing things wrong....just that you're at the wrong level of football.

No disagreement with you there!

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Saying this run by NDSU is boring, is like saying Tiger Woods made golf boring. The run ended for Tiger, and other players got better when he returned.

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Saying this run by NDSU is boring, is like saying Tiger Woods made golf boring. The run ended for Tiger, and other players got better when he returned.

This is sports. Get better, don't drag the top down- bring the bottom up.

kdinva
January 6th, 2019, 07:49 AM

xthumbsupx

like others have said, time for the rest of FCS to improve......yet fewer kids are playing HS football, based on something I saw on ESPN last Summer.....

NDSU would beat Princeton by 30.....

WestCoastAggie
January 6th, 2019, 07:50 AM
As the pool of available players to recruits out of HS shrinks, the gulf between teams like NDSU vs most other FCS teams will get wider going into the 2020's.

Redbird 4th & short
January 6th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Agreed ... I get OP's point, but I don't want NDSU to leave MVFC (or FCS). They have raised the bar for MVFC .. I've posted playoff results (sans NDSU) since 2011 that convincingly prove that point that "the Wings" have performed better in playoffs than any other conference since 2011 ... better than CAA and Big Sky ... like .650 versus .500 better, exluding NDSU.

But I'm not so sure their model and system would work at P5 level like it does at FCS level. Sure they typically beat an FBS team ranked somewhere between 20-50 every year. But that is one game early in the season .. "trap game", if you will. Imagine if they were a P5 team, putting aside their venue limitations", who got scouted more regularly and had to now play 11 FBS games. That is a whole different grind AND and whole different game, just in term of physical skill levels and style of game putting playmakers in space. That is not NDSU's game .. and they would eventually have to adapt to that.

So that leaves them at G5 level IMO .. and why would they do that ? It is only marginally better than the FCS top 20 or MVFC top 5. So they would do what each year in G5 .... compete for some weak G5 conference title anf then go from 1 irrelevant bowl game to another each year. I just don't see how the G5 bowl series is better than FCS playoffs ... by better, I mean more rewarding. NDSU gets 3 more home games ($$$) and a trip to Frisco for "true Natty".

I wouldn't take that trade if i were them .. P5 is not realistic, and G5 is not worth it, for them .. might be for others.

So I'm glad they are FCS and MVFC. But I also don't believe they would realistically be better off by trying to make a jump. I hope they stay and that my ISUr are the next team to knock them off the mantle (ala JMU) .. we return a lot next year, and we're trying to beat them, not get rid of them.

TheRevSFA
January 6th, 2019, 08:03 AM
Also, NDSU being in frisco has helped keep the game there. While EWU brought a great contingent, had it been a EWU vs SDSU game, the stadium would be half empty.

Raise yourselves up to NDSU’s talent level, and grow your fan base/retain alumni with it.

Cocky
January 6th, 2019, 08:08 AM
I agree and disagree. Boring yes as we all know who next years winner is already. Should they move no, the rest of us need to improve. It will all work all at some point in the future.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I agree and disagree. Boring yes as we all know who next years winner is already. Should they move no, the rest of us need to improve. It will all work all at some point in the future.The 19 team is going to be a lot like the 14/16 teams. This 19 team will have to replace 24 seniors, whom, most of which were vital pieces to the Bison success. If there is a team that is going to sneak one in, this would be the year it happens. I will say this, should that 19 team win, that 20 team will be dominant as hell with the 21/22 teams potentially rivaling the 13 and 18 teams.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

JayJ79
January 6th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Schools cannot just "go FBS" without first getting an invite from one of the existing FBS conferences.

Redbird 4th & short
January 6th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Congrats to the Bison ! Also congrats to EWU .. they competed well and made things interesting down the stretch. I didn't get to watch the whole game ... picked it up last in Q3. But the most interesting stat line was this ... Bison won time of possession 40 to 20 mins .. NDSU run game obvously dictated TOP advantage which limited EWU offensive opportunities. Ironically, the 9 min Q4 Bison drive which ended in missed FG, and gave EWU a fighting chance ... still killed their chances by leaving so little time in left game. Anyway, both teams should be proud .. but Bison won by 2 TDs as most people expected.

As for 2019 .... both teams lose a lot, but Bison lose more. So I would bet on the field vs Bison in 2019 without a doubt. Bison lose a lot, plus several coaches from this 2018 team. I think it is 9 of 11 offensive starters, plus the other half of their RB duo .. granted, Anderson didn't play yesterday and Dunn missed many other games due tii injuries the last 2 seasons as well. Then they lose 7 of 11 defensive starters, plus a couple more 2nd stringers who got a lot of reps and production. Then they lose their league leading PR (i.e. WR Shepherd), half their KR touches (RB Anderson), and their Kicker who was a 4 year starter.

I'm not kidding myself into thinkng they will suddenly be out of Natty contention. But with all these starters and production losses, combined with coaching losses .... I would bet on the field in 2019.

Cocky
January 6th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Schools cannot just "go FBS" without first getting an invite from one of the existing FBS conferences.

Liberty did, but they do have almost unlimited funds.

lionsrking2
January 6th, 2019, 09:08 AM
North Dakota State has been great for the FCS brand and I hope they stick around for as long as they want. They do have some advantages but to their credit, they take full advantage. That is what champions do. We all should be focusing on what we can do to raise our own bar and use them as an example.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 6th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Does any FBS conference really want NDSU?
NDSU doesn't have the stadium or the market for P5 - they currently have UCF, Memphis and Houston available if needed.
FBS currently has no football-only conferences like the MVFC, CAA football, Big South football, or Pioneer; so a G5 bid would be all sports only, and few AD's want to fly their tennis and volleyball teams to North Dakota. NDSU is a geographic outlier for all G5 conferences - and what G5 conference members want to add another "L" to their schedule?
If the Bison went independent, they could play Liberty and NMSU twice a year, but who wants to do that?
Unless the long-discussed realignment of the G5 and top FCS teams actually occurs (it has been discussed for 20 years), NDSU is in FCS for the foreseeable future and someone just needs to step up and knock them down.

The Sun Belt would take NDSU as a football-only member and that would probably put a gulf between the SBC and the CUSA and MAC and get the league closer to the MWC. The problem is that the nearest football opponent would be in Arkansas. Heck if Idaho didn't actually suck they probably would've been retained and they were even more of a geographic outlier than NDSU.

And I'll say again that people bring up Georgia Southern and App State and that's without question part of it, but Montana and Delaware (really the whole CAA, but Delaware is the main one) have dropped off a cliff and haven't gotten back up. Before NDSU's first season of playoff eligibility pretty much everyone would've considered both of those programs elite, but since 2011 I think both teams have had at least 4 losses every season. And those that just think the CAA and Big Sky have gotten better since then, get real.

Hammerhead
January 6th, 2019, 09:39 AM
The MAC is a not more competitive than the MFVC. Plus, say goodbye to tailgating and have a big attendance drop if games are in the middle of the week. Then there is only a small chance of a meaningful bowl game if we managed to schedule some top 20 teams in our non-conference games.

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 09:48 AM
This is like saying that Alabama should move to the NFL. Or maybe the CFL would be the next step?

caribbeanhen
January 6th, 2019, 09:54 AM
This is like saying that Alabama should move to the NFL. Or maybe the CFL would be the next step?

I just want to see the Bison play Alabama........

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 6th, 2019, 09:56 AM

If Alabama wins 7 titles in 8 seasons and does it over the span of two coaching staffs then that would be equivalent, but it took them 9 seasons to get 5 titles, 3 were close calls (NDSU won 5 of the 7 titles by double digits).

Also, they've done it under a single head coach who is considered one of the best ever whereas I would surprised if Chris Klieman is still coaching at K State in 5 years (it's just hard to win there).

There's just no comparison.

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 09:56 AM

I'll have to be on the lookout tomorrow night for signs that say, "Bama Wants NDSU!" :D

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 09:57 AM
It was boring 5 years ago. It’s made the subdivision unwatchable for nearly a decade.

We thought the app state run was unbearable...

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 10:02 AM

Outside of app and GSU, most of the recent FBS move ups had little to no national FCS success. Competing in FCS isn’t a requirement. An invitation or threatening the ncaa is all you need to do.

AmsterBison
January 6th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Since NDSU started playing a DI schedule in 2005, the FCS has 28 wins against P5 programs. From 1978-2004, the FCS had 12 wins vs P5 teams.

NDSU fans don't seem to find the championships boring* so maybe it's teams who can't compete with NDSU who should look to move up.

* I'm hoping they find the regular season boring enough that I can snag some season tickets again, but next year is not going to be anything but boring.

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Many starters for NDSU should be starting for P5 programs. It’s shocking how under recruited they were. Is the upper Midwest that overlooked by the Big 10 and Big 12?

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 10:14 AM
The FCS could and should be a good level.....nothing against NDSU, but you are basically running an FBS-level program at the FCS-level....it is what it is. Congrats on your success but you are a basically an FBS program beating up on FCS teams....

It’s more like a P5 program beating up on FCS programs. The overwhelming majority of their postseason contests this decade haven’t even been remotely competitive. Most are blow outs over before halftime.

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Many starters for NDSU should be starting for P5 programs. It’s shocking how under recruited they were. Is the upper Midwest that overlooked by the Big 10 and Big 12?

The University of Minnesota made a huge mistake by hiring Tim Brewster as a head football coach. From 2007-10 he had a 15-30 record. During that time he lost to NDSU and USD and was lucky to squeak by SDSU. Before losing to the Bison, he said that they would no longer be on the schedule because the Gophers were not going to recruit from that area. The jackass seemed to have forgotten that the Outland and Rimington award winner, Greg Eslinger, had come from Bismarck. Sure aren't any decent players to go after in his tiny mind.

Why recruit local players when you can go to Florida or Texas to bring in players? Why do you think that the Gophers haven't been to the Rose Bowl since Jan. 1, 1962? Yes, the U of M could screw up a two car funeral- meanwhile, all the neighboring states have had success in the sport. It is sad.

Panther88
January 6th, 2019, 10:26 AM

This.

Congrats on yet another, bison.

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 10:26 AM

The rest of FCS is wondering at what point is your wife going to catch you cheating and lead to the downfall of your dynasty.

Panther88
January 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM

Those two conferences are too busy attempting to go head to head vs the sec schools in sec recruiting territory.

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM

Who would I root against?

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:32 AM

#SouthernSpeed

That is the the actual answer. The problem is, the Goofers, made it clear there is not enough "blue-chips" in North Dakota/Minnesota compared to Florida and Texas and so Row-The-Boat U would rather miss out on legit P5 players who don't have that #SouthernSpeed compared to farm boys, who after spending 1 year in an S&C program get to that desired weight/goal and then produce ungodly results on the field. The thing is, NDSU takes a 4.6, 6-1, 200 LB from rural ND/MN/SD/NE/IA/WI and turns him into a 6-1, 225 freak of nature. Use that example for any position where they might be .2 seconds too slow, 2 inches too short, and/or 20-25 pounds too light and bam, there you go, that is how they miss out on a P5 athlete.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Who would I root against?

The awful, biased, CAA refs who end up favoring NDSU. xcoffeex

UNAPride
January 6th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I agree. We were discussing it on the UNA forums yesterday. At this point, they are an FBS program looking to keep some type of relevance by staying FCS and dominating. As a dual UNA/Bama fan, it reminds me a bit of the UCF mentality - just a different approach.

They have a list of excuses to back up their remaining FCS, which all seem trivial from this bystander's POV.

BisonBacker
January 6th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Agreed ... I get OP's point, but I don't want NDSU to leave MVFC (or FCS). They have raised the bar for MVFC .. I've posted playoff results (sans NDSU) since 2011 that convincingly prove that point that "the Wings" have performed better in playoffs than any other conference since 2011 ... better than CAA and Big Sky ... like .650 versus .500 better, exluding NDSU.

But I'm not so sure their model and system would work at P5 level like it does at FCS level. Sure they typically beat an FBS team ranked somewhere between 20-50 every year. But that is one game early in the season .. "trap game", if you will. Imagine if they were a P5 team, putting aside their venue limitations", who got scouted more regularly and had to now play 11 FBS games. That is a whole different grind AND and whole different game, just in term of physical skill levels and style of game putting playmakers in space. That is not NDSU's game .. and they would eventually have to adapt to that.

So that leaves them at G5 level IMO .. and why would they do that ? It is only marginally better than the FCS top 20 or MVFC top 5. So they would do what each year in G5 .... compete for some weak G5 conference title anf then go from 1 irrelevant bowl game to another each year. I just don't see how the G5 bowl series is better than FCS playoffs ... by better, I mean more rewarding. NDSU gets 3 more home games ($$$) and a trip to Frisco for "true Natty".

I wouldn't take that trade if i were them .. P5 is not realistic, and G5 is not worth it, for them .. might be for others.

So I'm glad they are FCS and MVFC. But I also don't believe they would realistically be better off by trying to make a jump. I hope they stay and that my ISUr are the next team to knock them off the mantle (ala JMU) .. we return a lot next year, and we're trying to beat them, not get rid of them.

It's not

Redbird 4th & short
January 6th, 2019, 10:38 AM
The rest of FCS is wondering at what point is your wife going to catch you cheating and lead to the downfall of your dynasty.
especially when said wife apparently knew how to swing an iron.

I assume the point of comparison to Tiger Woods is that he helped the game become more popular and raised the bar at same time. So to everyone who finds NDSU winning boring and bad for FCS football ... maybe challenge your team to just get better. All ships rise is not just a cliche .. it worked for MVFC. I would argue JMU's emergence helped raise the CAA bar in getting 6 bids .. despite their watered down conf schedule and playoff collapse .. this was easily CAA's deepest group of quality teams since 2010 .. just weren't as strong at top. I tend to think JMU dominance lead that re-emergence ... very similar but to lesser extent than what NDSU did for MVFC.

In short, it's all good as far as I'm concerned ... just compete and try to get better. Only one team can win a Natty each year anyway ... so what does it matter to all the other contenders trying to win it, that it happens to be same team 7 of 8 years. Again, I'm betting on field next year ... if I'm right, that will make for very interesting season. If I'm wrong .. someone will start a thread like this again I guess. But life will go on either way. It's just a game.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I agree. We were discussing it on the UNA forums yesterday. At this point, they are an FBS program looking to keep some type of relevance by staying FCS and dominating. As a dual UNA/Bama fan, it reminds me a bit of the UCF mentality - just a different approach.

They have a list of excuses to back up their remaining FCS, which all seem trivial from bystander's POV.

Why jump to the FBS to play in the Detroit: Oil Change Bowl with no chance of playing for a national title when NDSU can be the TRUE D1 title holder and not massively subsidize the athletic department to play in the FBS. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate fact. NDSU would lose out on the Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz, Kyle Emmanuels, etc... of the world. NDSU recruits G5/P5 kids who would be offered scholarships/PWO respectively and gives them a chance to play for a national title every year while also telling them they won't be waiting in the wings at a school like Row-The-Boat U, Sconie Land, etc...

UNAPride
January 6th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Why jump to the FBS to play in the Detroit: Oil Change Bowl with no chance of playing for a national title when NDSU can be the TRUE D1 title holder and not massively subsidize the athletic department to play in the FBS. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate fact. NDSU would lose out on the Easton Sticks, Carson Wentz, Kyle Emmanuels, etc... of the world. NDSU recruits G5/P5 kids who would be offered scholarships/PWO respectively and gives them a chance to play for a national title every year while also telling them they won't be waiting in the wings at a school like Row-The-Boat U, Sconie Land, etc...

Thanks for proving my point. Go Knights! I mean, Bison! :D

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Thanks for proving my point. Go Knights! I mean, Bison! :D

The thing is, the NCAA actually recognizes UCF as an FBS title holder. The P5 has their little 4 team suckfest where Alabama is guarenteed a spot, Clemson plays in a weak ACC, and the other 2 spots generally go to a 2nd SEC team should Alabama not win the SEC, (that was the biggest joke ever) and the B1G while the B12 stays at home and ND is irrelevant. Why attempt to make the occassional NY6 bowl knowing damn well that is the highest NDSU will ever get to. UCF proved the point to every "NDSU" team out there that the committee will never touch the G5 to ensure the circle jerk, known as the P5, will be able to remain untouched and "unblemished". You proved my point actually. If Milton was not injured for UCF, they would have had a legitmate argument once again that the P5 cannot handle losing to an "inferior" school and to do such thing would damage their ego and/or hold on the G5.

UNAPride
January 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM
The thing is, the NCAA actually recognizes UCF as an FBS title holder. The P5 has their little 4 team suckfest where Alabama is guarenteed a spot, Clemson plays in a weak ACC, and the other 2 spots generally go to a 2nd SEC team should Alabama not win the SEC, (that was the biggest joke ever) and the B1G while the B12 stays at home and ND is irrelevant. Why attempt to make the occassional NY6 bowl knowing damn well that is the highest NDSU will ever get to. UCF proved the point to every "NDSU" team out there that the committee will never touch the G5 to ensure the circle jerk, known as the P5, will be able to remain untouched and "unblemished". You proved my point actually. If Milton was not injured for UCF, they would have had a legitmate argument once again that the P5 cannot handle losing to an "inferior" school and to do such thing would damage their ego and/or hold on the G5.

I didn't even read past your first sentence. Actually, they don't but that's been a great PR campaign by UCF to use a meaningless computer ranking that was listed in the stat book to make their claim.

YEAR
CHAMPION
SELECTING ORGANIZATION

Alabama
CFP

Clemson
CFP

Alabama
CFP

Ohio State
CFP

Florida State
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Auburn
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Florida
BCS

Louisiana State
BCS

Florida
BCS

Texas
BCS

Southern California
BCS

Louisiana State, Southern California
BCS, AP, FWAA

Ohio State
BCS

Miami (Fla.)
BCS

Oklahoma
BCS

Source: College football championship history (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history) (NCAA.com)

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:58 AM
I didn't even read past your first sentence. Actually, they don't but that's been a great PR campaign by UCF to use a meaningless computer ranking that was listed in the stat book to make their claim.

YEAR
CHAMPION
SELECTING ORGANIZATION

Alabama
CFP

Clemson
CFP

Alabama
CFP

Ohio State
CFP

Florida State
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Auburn
BCS

Alabama
BCS

Florida
BCS

Louisiana State
BCS

Florida
BCS

Texas
BCS

Southern California
BCS

Louisiana State, Southern California
BCS, AP, FWAA

Ohio State
BCS

Miami (Fla.)
BCS

Oklahoma
BCS

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2018/FBS.pdf

You are wrong, as usual. Go to page 115.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 11:00 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29845&stc=1

Looks like I am right.

UNAPride
January 6th, 2019, 11:03 AM

LOL. I'm very familiar with this document and the changes in nomenclature from the 2017 version to the 2018 version.

Can you read the header at the top? It says "FINAL NATIONAL POLL LEADERS" in 2018 version (as they have added other leaders like Alabama in 2016 and ND in 2012) and not "NATIONAL POLL CHAMPIONS" as it was listed in 2017 (when those were not mentioned on that list).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2017/FBS.pdf

I've seen how you interact on this board. You always have to have the last word. But, sometimes you've just not done enough research to back up your point and that burns you up inside.

grizband
January 6th, 2019, 11:03 AM
They are also aided by teams that have already transitioned to the FBS.

Just my opinion, but I think it far less likely that NDSU has 7 titles if App State and GSU are still hanging around. Almost certainly those programs would have met in the post season a number of times the past few years.This is an interesting point

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 11:08 AM
LOL. I'm very familiar with this document and the changes in nomenclature from the 2017 version to the 2018 version.

Can you read the header at the top? It says "FINAL NATIONAL POLL LEADERS" in 2018 version (as they have added other leaders like Alabama in 2016 and ND in 2012) and not "NATIONAL POLL CHAMPIONS" as it was listed in 2017 (when those were not mentioned on that list).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2017/FBS.pdf

I've seen how you interact on this board. You always have to have the last word. But, sometimes you've just not done enough research to back up your point and that burns you up inside.

Final national poll leaders also means champions dumbass. That is why Colley had them there. The BCS was used to determine that and that is why the NCAA included them. If you don't want to play that game, you should erase a good amount of "titles" from the FBS then as I am willing to bet some that schools "claim" are invalid then. I've seen how you interact on this board. You try and stir up ****, but sometimes, you've just not done enough research to back up your point and that burns you up inside and so you have to move the goal posts to achieve your goal.

UNAPride
January 6th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Final national poll leaders also means champions dumbass. That is why Colley had them there. The BCS was used to determine that and that is why the NCAA included them. If you don't want to play that game, you should erase a good amount of "titles" from the FBS then as I am willing to bet some that schools "claim" are invalid then. I've seen how you interact on this board. You try and stir up ****, but sometimes, you've just not done enough research to back up your point and that burns you up inside and so you have to move the goal posts to achieve your goal.

I'm sorry you can't read. But, it's curious you think the Colley Matrix ranking warrants Notre Dame claiming a national championship in 2012 when they got beat by Alabama in the title game 42-14. That's some natty for the Irish!xlolx

"With the FBS moving to a four-team playoff in 2014, we only have to make it through one more year of the BCS computers."

Notre Dame is still No. 1, according to one BCS computer (https://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/11/bcs-computers-rank-notre-dame-ahead-of-alabama/1826755/) (USA Today)

You're a joke. LMAO!!!

Panther88
January 6th, 2019, 11:20 AM
#SouthernSpeed

That is the the actual answer. The problem is, the Goofers, made it clear there is not enough "blue-chips" in North Dakota/Minnesota compared to Florida and Texas and so Row-The-Boat U would rather miss out on legit P5 players who don't have that #SouthernSpeed compared to farm boys, who after spending 1 year in an S&C program get to that desired weight/goal and then produce ungodly results on the field. The thing is, NDSU takes a 4.6, 6-1, 200 LB from rural ND/MN/SD/NE/IA/WI and turns him into a 6-1, 225 freak of nature. Use that example for any position where they might be .2 seconds too slow, 2 inches too short, and/or 20-25 pounds too light and bam, there you go, that is how they miss out on a P5 athlete.

+10000

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Those two conferences are too busy attempting to go head to head vs the sec schools in sec recruiting territory.

They’re not going to convince Floridians and southerners to go up to the miserable cold of the Midwest and to a losing program.

Focus on the best players in your approximate region of the country or you let FCS schools become more powerful than you because you are overlooking players that would be going to the ACC or Big 10 east if they just lived in a different state.

Redbird 4th & short
January 6th, 2019, 11:40 AM

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/

Using the Massey Composite of 100+ polls, ACC did slip in 2018 to 4th best conference, but they were not far behind the Big12 (2nd) or Big10 (3rd) .. but all 3 were pretty far behind SEC. But if you look at ACC using same Massey Composite in the 2 prior seasons, they ranked 1st and then a very close 2nd. So there may be some spill-over love from prior seasons success, when they were right there with SEC for the 2 prior seasons.

Go Green
January 6th, 2019, 11:41 AM

Hell, Princeton claims a couple of 19th Century "national titles" that they literally awarded to themselves. :)

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 11:42 AM
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/

Using the Massey Composite of 100+ polls, ACC did slip in 2018 to 4th best conference, but they were not far behind the Big12 (2nd) or Big10 (3rd) .. but all 3 were pretty far behind SEC. But if you look at ACC using same Massey Composite in the 2 prior seasons, they ranked 1st and then a very close 2nd. So there may be some spill-over love from prior seasons success, when they were right there with SEC for the 2 prior seasons.Jimbo leaving FSU hurt them badly. Syracuse could be good but they usually get in their own way. VT used to be solid and UNC/Duke have occasional good years but this year it was Clemson and everyone else

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I don't believe NDSU's recruits are that much better than everyone else's. I do believe NDSU's player retention and development are better than anyone else at the FCS level. There's nothing fancy about what they're doing. They're not throwing any more money at their program than schools like JMU or Delaware do (in fact I'm pretty certain it's less). As has been mentioned already NDSU just can't flip a switch and move up. To fund the extra scholarships, additional women's sports to comply with title 9, increases in coaching salaries etc it's going to cost an extra $5-10M or more per year on their athletic budget. Where do you get that money from? They're squeezing about as much out of the Fargodome for tickets as they can. Do you build a new stadium? Sure but then you're looking at probably a quarter billion dollars to get something more financially beneficial than the Fargodome. ND is a very fiscally conservative state so don't expect the state or even the surrounding municipalities to help out much there (especially since they'd be leaving the other "state flagship school" behind). NDSU would need to get these funds privately.

There's a lot of clueless takes in this thread from those not familiar with these hurdles. Don't lecture us about how to spend our money (since like I said earlier an FBS move would have to be made on the backs of NDSU tickets holders and boosters) because your team can't compete with ours. If you do don't get mad when and NDSU fan responds with "Get better" because that's basically the same thing those of you whining about how NDSU should "have to" move to FBS are doing.

caribbeanhen
January 6th, 2019, 12:50 PM
I think you’re underestimating the level of talent and the bison have !

I’m not saying you don’t have a best player development but you get the best to work with right from the start, not even close really

Mocdaddy
January 6th, 2019, 02:09 PM
I think the one overlooked aspect of NDSU's roster is the quality of depth. It's been impressive to say the least. Like Alabama in the SEC, league members may have similar quality in some starting positions, but, the depth in quality shows up and wears you out. Hats off to a fine program that every green-eyed jealous FCS fan should aspire to become. I tip my hat to the dominance.

uni88
January 6th, 2019, 02:14 PM
The real secret of NDSU's success. (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?221012-The-Secret-of-NDSU%92s-Success)

:D

LU808
January 6th, 2019, 02:34 PM
It was time 4 years ago, but it's not up to us (NDSU).

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/252.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/252/byu-cougars)BYU Cougars (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/252/byu-cougars)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/87.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)Notre Dame Fighting Irish (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/349.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/349/army-black-knights)Army Black Knights (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/349/army-black-knights)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2335.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames)Liberty Flames (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/166.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/166/new-mexico-state-aggies)New Mexico State Aggies (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/166/new-mexico-state-aggies)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/113.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/113/umass-minutemen)UMass Minutemen (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/113/umass-minutemen)

You could go the Independent route....until a Conferene opens up.

BisonTru
January 6th, 2019, 02:39 PM
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/252.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/252/byu-cougars)BYU Cougars (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/252/byu-cougars)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/87.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)Notre Dame Fighting Irish (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/349.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/349/army-black-knights)Army Black Knights (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/349/army-black-knights)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2335.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames)Liberty Flames (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2335/liberty-flames)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/166.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/166/new-mexico-state-aggies)New Mexico State Aggies (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/166/new-mexico-state-aggies)

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/113.png&h=20&w=20 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/113/umass-minutemen)UMass Minutemen (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/113/umass-minutemen)

You could go the Independent route....until a Conferene opens up.

I believe you now need a conference invite.

Plus personally I want to see us win more championships. Idgaf if that’s the MWC or the MAC or the FCS. Indy doesn’t offer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2019, 02:52 PM
They’re not going to convince Floridians and southerners to go up to the miserable cold of the Midwest and to a losing program.

Focus on the best players in your approximate region of the country or you let FCS schools become more powerful than you because you are overlooking players that would be going to the ACC or Big 10 east if they just lived in a different state.

NDSU only had around 9 Floridians on this years team.

IBleedYellow
January 6th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Seeing the clueless hot takes from people that have no idea about the NDSU program other than the fact that we win is hilarious.

Keep looking like fools while your program looks like ****. Step up because we aren't even top 10 for budgets in the FCS. Imagine if we actually spent like the #1

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bison56
January 6th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Seeing the clueless hot takes from people that have no idea about the NDSU program other than the fact that we win is hilarious.

Keep looking like fools while your program looks like ****. Step up because we aren't even top 10 for budgets in the FCS. Imagine if we actually spent like the #1

^this

TheRevSFA
January 6th, 2019, 03:41 PM
NDSU 2019 hype video released

http://youtu.be/L5bqMDGWXO8

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Step up because we aren't even top 10 for budgets in the FCS. Imagine if we actually spent like the #1

How about #3?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/962455821400641536/VqPk6btP_400x400.jpg

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 03:53 PM
NDSU only had around 9 Floridians on this years team.

NDSU wins a lot more than MN, IA, ISU and NE do. Winning helps with recruiting.

It’s literally, go win at best half of your games in some random Midwest school or go win all of your games in some random Midwest school.

There’s also nearly zero G5 level teams in the immediate two states removed region.

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2019, 03:59 PM
The best thing ndsu has done on this run was a credit to their two head coaches. They found under recruited talent, including in CA and FL and convinced them to come to North Dakota.

They then developed that under recruited talent that frankly should’ve been playing at higher levels but terrible big 10 coaches were too busy chasing Texans and Floridians.

smallcollegefbfan
January 6th, 2019, 04:01 PM

Or the rest of FCS needs to pick it up and spread out in recruiting and go get more talent. There are good players in D2 missed every year. Need to find these guys and improve depth.

Sitting Bull
January 6th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Thank you NDSU. I think the Bison have made FCS more exciting, not less. And they did it straight from D2. They have been setting a great example in so many ways for FCS. They remind me of Montana 10 years ago.

Sorry, I don't see a P5 team. I don't see the P5 taunting, showboating, etc. I see a tough group of well coached kids. I would love to see W&M play them some day.

When you see the pride and enthusiasm from NDSU and their fan base, you would hate to see it fade away in the wasteland of G5 football, which is exactly what would happen. Hopefully they stick - just get a bit more competition. The day will come soon when they won't have every playoff game in Fargo.

FUBeAR
January 6th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Haven’t read the 50 or so posts in this thread, but I think I get the topic.

FUBeAR’s take on this is very simple...

If NDSU Football is offering no more than 63 scholarships, abiding by all the rules of the NCAA, of the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, of the MVFC, of NDSU, and of NDSU’s Athletics Department...& you don’t want your School/Team to have to compete with NDSU Football any longer, then you should be contacting the appropriate officials from your School/Team and requesting that they move your School/Team’s Football Program to D2, D3, NAIA, or the NCCAA.

Otherwise...Get better, play better, play harder, work harder, recruit better, hire better, pay more, attend more, do more, and donate more.

cx500d
January 6th, 2019, 05:41 PM
The best thing ndsu has done on this run was a credit to their two head coaches. They found under recruited talent, including in CA and FL and convinced them to come to North Dakota.

They then developed that under recruited talent that frankly should’ve been playing at higher levels but terrible big 10 coaches were too busy chasing Texans and Floridians.
CA?

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 06:27 PM
CA?

California?

cx500d
January 6th, 2019, 06:41 PM
California?
It hasn’t exactly been a recruiting hotbed for us

Herder
January 6th, 2019, 06:45 PM
This thread was started by the guy from Holy Cross that thinks there should not even be a playoff at the FCS level. He thinks should all just play 10 games and go home, appreciating the opportunity to play a rival each year. Not going to read his garbage.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 07:01 PM

I agree with you on that. Mercadel and Weber are the only ones I can think of from there.

Sader87
January 6th, 2019, 07:37 PM
This thread was started by the guy from Holy Cross that thinks there should not even be a playoff at the FCS level. He thinks should all just play 10 games and go home, appreciating the opportunity to play a rival each year. Not going to read his garbage.

Which doesn't take away the fact that my argument here is that NDSU winning the FCS championship every year is fundamentally boring to all involved, including NDSU fans.

Great achievement? Undoubtedly. Boring? You bettah believe it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Which doesn't take away the fact that my argument here is that NDSU winning the FCS championship every year is fundamentally boring to all involved, including NDSU fans.

Winning never gets boring. Maybe in your world.

Sader87
January 6th, 2019, 07:43 PM
It's boring to most....I've been a Pats fan since the early 1970s and I'm bored with the Pats success quite honestly.

Bisonoline
January 6th, 2019, 07:51 PM
It's boring to most....I've been a Pats fan since the early 1970s and I'm bored with the Pats success quite honestly.
Un
To most? Quit talking for other people

FUBeAR
January 6th, 2019, 07:55 PM

NCAA Division I men's basketball champions

Year
Winning Team

1964 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963%E2%80%9364_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1965 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1966 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
Texas Western (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965%E2%80%9366_Texas_Western_Miners_men%27s_baske tball_team)

1967 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1968 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1969 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968%E2%80%9369_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1970 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969%E2%80%9370_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1971 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1972 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971%E2%80%9372_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1973 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972%E2%80%9373_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1974 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
North Carolina State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2%80%9374_NC_State_Wolfpack_men%27s_basketba ll_team)

1975 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974%E2%80%9375_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

Nah. I was a big NC State Fan from about 1967 to about 1976.

Not a thing “boring” about these years of NCAA Men’s Division I Men’s Basketball during UCLA’s remarkable run of NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championships.

Not a thing “boring” about NCAA FCS Football during NDSU’s current remarkable run of NCAA FCS Football Championships.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2019, 08:04 PM

Bull**it.

Most fans love it when their "team" wins. Boring? What is the color of the sky in your world?

xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 08:06 PM

In what world is winning boring? NDSU could win 9 out of 10 and I will still treat each championship as if that is the greatest thing to happen the NDSU football.

uni88
January 6th, 2019, 08:30 PM
It's boring to most....I've been a Pats fan since the early 1970s and I'm bored with the Pats success quite honestly.Good thing for you that Holy Cross is at best the second most relevant college in Worcester.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2019, 09:20 PM

If that's the way you feel, that's fine. Some of us like watching teams trying to knock off the Pats. Maybe we should not keep score in FCS and just hand out participation medals to all.

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 09:36 PM

So, you say that you don't care- but you actually do care?

Yankees- Dodgers- Canadians- Red Sox- Patriots- Celtics- Lakers- UCLA- Notre Dame- Bama- USC- Mount Union- the list goes on- teams had dynasties- teams are dominant- but we watch sports because we never know when it will be the day that our team wins- or that the team we hate loses. It isn't like watching a rerun of a movie.

caribbeanhen
January 6th, 2019, 09:40 PM
NCAA Division I men's basketball champions

Year
Winning Team

1964 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963%E2%80%9364_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1965 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2%80%9365_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1966 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
Texas Western (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965%E2%80%9366_Texas_Western_Miners_men%27s_baske tball_team)

1967 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1968 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1969 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968%E2%80%9369_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1970 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969%E2%80%9370_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1971 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1972 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971%E2%80%9372_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1973 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972%E2%80%9373_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

1974 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
North Carolina State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2%80%9374_NC_State_Wolfpack_men%27s_basketba ll_team)

1975 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament )
UCLA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974%E2%80%9375_UCLA_Bruins_men%27s_basketball_tea m)

Nah. I was a big NC State Fan from about 1967 to about 1976.

Not a thing “boring” about these years of NCAA Men’s Division I Men’s Basketball during UCLA’s remarkable run of NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championships.

Not a thing “boring” about NCAA FCS Football during NDSU’s current remarkable run of NCAA FCS Football Championships.

I can remember David Skywalker Thompson, Monte Towe and Rick Burleson Putting a hurting on Lefties boys
That was a great era for ACC basketball

Laker
January 6th, 2019, 09:43 PM
I can remember David Skywalker Thompson, Monte Towe and Rick Burleson Putting a hurting on Lefties boys
That was a great era for ACC basketball

That year Maryland might have been the second best team in the country and never even made the NCAA.

tjamz
January 6th, 2019, 09:57 PM

They have a list of excuses to back up their remaining FCS, which all seem trivial from this bystander's POV.Just a couple excuses:
Money
Stadium Size
No invites
Don't want to step down into a G5 conference (there have been ZERO invites btw)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dewey
January 6th, 2019, 10:23 PM
Winning never gets boring. Maybe in your world.

100% agreed. Winning National Titles will never get boring for me.

Each one is amazing.

Dewey

kalm
January 7th, 2019, 04:50 AM

1) If this thread was an informal poll I'm guessing around 75% of the respondents do not agree with you.

2) Someone mentioned playing weekday games in the MAC and a reduction of tailgating. There's also the fact that most 11 game years NDSU will have 8-9 home games including the playoffs. Moving up and you'd reduce that number by two. I like more football in person and I really like tailgating.

3) Kingpin and Professor Chaos are spot on. Player development might be just as important as recruiting and there is great potential out there that goes unnoticed by many FCS schools. A few examples for us are Gubrud who was a walk-on at Eastern, Cooper Kupp who was offered by only us and PSU, and Jayce Gilder, our TE who scored on the fake field goal. He went to high school in the Bitterroot Valley but was not offered by either of the Montanas (granted perhaps they didn't need TE's in that class but many 6'4" frames can end up playing TE, DE, or grow into tackle).

4)Pwns regarding App and GS....The CAA might not be currently better but the MVFC and Big Sky are. It goes up and down for conferences but even the SLC and OVC looked improved this year. The level of athletes and as previously mentioned, FBS wins supports this. And yes, it takes time to replace traditional powers who were consistently good, but it's been happening with programs like Montana State, ACU, and Davis not being satisfied and willing to invest new facilities and/or making more hastey coaching changes.

PaladinFan
January 7th, 2019, 05:21 AM
I'd think differently, too, if this wasn't college football in 2019. Look at the FBS - it isn't any different.

I understand tickets for the national title game are selling for under face value. The game is a long way from either team's fan base and the nation is simply tired of Clemson and Alabama. They are clearly the two best teams and have been for a while.

I'm sure it would be "better" for football to see some new faces in the game, but until someone starts beating these teams, that's who we are going to keep seeing.

RootinFerDukes
January 7th, 2019, 05:21 AM

I thought I saw some CA players on the rosters over the years. I admittedly haven’t memorized them.

cx500d
January 7th, 2019, 07:02 AM

I’m not bored of it

cx500d
January 7th, 2019, 07:05 AM
If that's the way you feel, that's fine. Some of us like watching teams trying to knock off the Pats. Maybe we should not keep score in FCS and just hand out participation medals to all.

That’s what he wants, like the ivies do. When you can’t win anything, they want participation trophies now like kids rec leagues.

cx500d
January 7th, 2019, 07:10 AM
I thought I saw some CA players on the rosters over the years. I admittedly haven’t memorized them.

There have been onesie twosies at best. I’m struggling to remember one that was an impact player. We had a crappy qb 10 years ago from ca. When he was beaten out for the job he transferred, and that was the start of our run when he was replaced.

NDSUtk
January 7th, 2019, 07:27 AM
There have been onesie twosies at best. I’m struggling to remember one that was an impact player. We had a crappy qb 10 years ago from ca. When he was beaten out for the job he transferred, and that was the start of our run when he was replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIn 2010 we had 4 players on roster from CA. Including that special QB...let's not talk about him.

Since then, we had 0 for most of the time. We currently have 2. One is a redshirt freshman and too early to call. The other is Mercadel who had a nice year for us. He's been the best CA recruit in the past decade, and if my math is right we are under 10 for the past 10 years.

Laker
January 7th, 2019, 07:31 AM
CA?

He must be thinking of Minot State. They had recruited heavily there- but it didn't do them much good.

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM
So, you say that you don't care- but you actually do care?

Yankees- Dodgers- Canadians- Red Sox- Patriots- Celtics- Lakers- UCLA- Notre Dame- Bama- USC- Mount Union- the list goes on- teams had dynasties- teams are dominant- but we watch sports because we never know when it will be the day that our team wins- or that the team we hate loses. It isn't like watching a rerun of a movie.
ahem !!!!!!!!!

Da Bulls !!!

Laker
January 7th, 2019, 07:47 AM
ahem !!!!!!!!!

Da Bulls !!!

You can have Thibs back now!

BisonBacker
January 7th, 2019, 07:48 AM
NDSU 2019 hype video released

http://youtu.be/L5bqMDGWXO8

Lol

BisonBacker
January 7th, 2019, 07:49 AM
NDSU wins a lot more than MN, IA, ISU and NE do. Winning helps with recruiting.

It’s literally, go win at best half of your games in some random Midwest school or go win all of your games in some random Midwest school.

There’s also nearly zero G5 level teams in the immediate two states removed region.

Don't look now but your high falootin East Coast smug attitude is showing.

ysubigred
January 7th, 2019, 07:57 AM
NDSU is a model 1FCS program for other schools to follow! This year will be a telling year for them. They lost the HC, other assistants and 25 seniors. They win it next year then NDSU will never lose!

xsalutex Carry on!

dgtw
January 7th, 2019, 08:01 AM
If my team doesn’t win it all, I don’t care who does. Doesn’t make it boring to me if the same team wins it every year or if there is a revolving door at the top.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2019, 08:14 AM
In 2010 we had 4 players on roster from CA. Including that special QB...let's not talk about him.

Since then, we had 0 for most of the time. We currently have 2. One is a redshirt freshman and too early to call. The other is Mercadel who had a nice year for us. He's been the best CA recruit in the past decade, and if my math is right we are under 10 for the past 10 years.

Mercadel hasn't played all year. ACL tear.

IMO, our best JUCO player has been Chad Willson at LB.

NDSUtk
January 7th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Mercadel hasn't played all year. ACL tear.

IMO, our best JUCO player has been Chad Willson at LB.Sorry I meant nice year last year when he played well on special teams.

walliver
January 7th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I'd think differently, too, if this wasn't college football in 2019. Look at the FBS - it isn't any different.

I understand tickets for the national title game are selling for under face value. The game is a long way from either team's fan base and the nation is simply tired of Clemson and Alabama. They are clearly the two best teams and have been for a while.

I'm sure it would be "better" for football to see some new faces in the game, but until someone starts beating these teams, that's who we are going to keep seeing.

I don't think Bama-Clemson fatigue is the real issue. What we are seeing is that the big boys are not immune to the problems associated with the FCS playoffs. Clemson and Alabama fans who traveled well to their semifinal bowls have run into logistical issues arranging transcontinental transportation with short notice. Air fare to San Francisco that normally runs around $400 is now $1200. The CFB ran into similar issues a few years ago when the semifinals were played on a Friday afternoon. Even for FCS, attendance at the National Championship game has traditionally been poor in years when NDSU or App State have not been in the final. There will come a year when neither NDSU or JMU makes the finals and the stands in Frisco look like a mid-week MAC game.

KPSUL
January 7th, 2019, 08:52 AM
I don't think Bama-Clemson fatigue is the real issue. What we are seeing is that the big boys are not immune to the problems associated with the FCS playoffs. Clemson and Alabama fans who traveled well to their semifinal bowls have run into logistical issues arranging transcontinental transportation with short notice. Air fare to San Francisco that normally runs around $400 is now $1200. The CFB ran into similar issues a few years ago when the semifinals were played on a Friday afternoon. Even for FCS, attendance at the National Championship game has traditionally been poor in years when NDSU or App State have not been in the final. There will come a year when neither NDSU or JMU makes the finals and the stands in Frisco look like a mid-week MAC game.

Excellent point. And with the increase in ticket prices that has occurred due to the enthusiasm of the Bison fans ( and to some extent JMU) the game is now priced too high to attract many local fans looking to see one good college football game at the end of the season. Attendance may look like what we see at the low end FBS bowl games without the Bison or the Dukes playing.

X-Factor
January 7th, 2019, 08:57 AM

2x this

You just have to laugh at this ridiculous thread and some of the armchair administrators that think they know what it takes to go FBS, and in reality not a clue!

But please folks, go on telling us how big bad NDSU is unfairly beating up on the subdivision and should just go FBS so your lesser teams can someday become relevant again xlolx

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Just a couple excuses:
Money
Stadium Size
No invites
Don't want to step down into a G5 conference (there have been ZERO invites btw)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

As for the topic of this thread, I have already stated opinions:

1. the FCS is boring for FCS fans who aren't NDSU, but maybe not for casual "will watch any football" fans. The reason why is a lack of novelty.
2. Telling teams to "get better" is not really a good strategy. The problem is not anything wrong with FCS but what is right with NDSU. Most of the subdivision has never made the playoffs and is just a financial outlet for a directional state university. Those who legitimately try cannot replicate the NDSU model (confluence of attendance, atmosphere, and other factors we can talk about)

My newer take, about the comment above: There's an excellent series of articles written by Bison illustrated about NDSU moving up. Mixing their analysis and my opinion:
1) conference affiliation doesn't matter. Liberty moved up and I think what NDSU is much better and advantageous.
2) If you look at the increase in revenue NDSU has taken in over the last few years, most of it has to do with donations and merchandising (i.e fan support) and ticket revenue. That is, all of the $$$ they make has to do with their success on the field. Not student fees. Not state funding.
3) The potential for profits is probably about the same at FBS as it is in FCS. Yes, you pay more in travel expenses, but it's made up with more lucrative games.
4) NDSU already meets the minimum standards for FBS in terms of attendance (15,000), but obviously they need greater attendance to achieve greater interest by FBS teams for home and home. Here's where we get a little murky. They obviously can't expand their dome and building a new dome would be a risk because it could be a colossal waste of money if it's too big and NDSU busts at the next level; similarly, if it's too small it could be a waste of money because they may need to expand again. The purpose of a dome in the first place is to prevent the elements from ****ing with you too hard. It's probably the most valuable in late November/December (i.e the playoffs) when the elements take a serious turn, especially up there in the Dakotas. If they went FBS though, they wouldn't play more than 1 or 2 games (including a conference title game), so it wouldn't be as essential to their success.

So IMO if NDSU were to make the jump to FBS they would need to go independent first, build a new stadium that sits like 25-30k but is expandable, need early success. Will that happen? Who knows, but I guarantee you if NDSU goes FBS they will build a new stadium because it makes sense from a long-term revenue perspective (compensate for less home games by having more seats). I have no idea what Fargo looks like or where they would build this stadium, but that's what would have to happen. I think NDSU's only risk at the FCS level at this point is if they become a weird sideshow to "regular" (FBS) college football and their donations and revenue fall flat. I think that, more than anything, will ultimately cause them to go up eventually. They have a good set up right now, but the moment the model is disrupted significantly (not winning a championship in consecutive years), I think that's when they start changing things up.

RootinFerDukes
January 7th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Excellent point. And with the increase in ticket prices that has occurred due to the enthusiasm of the Bison fans ( and to some extent JMU) the game is now priced too high to attract many local fans looking to see one good college football game at the end of the season. Attendance may look like what we see at the low end FBS bowl games without the Bison or the Dukes playing.

JMU brought about 12K in 2016 when we had cheap and ample access to tickets. That's probably our ceiling unless we go on a multiple consecutive title run and start to attract some more casual fans out there.

I'd imagine Montana will bring a similar sized crowd if they ever get back. Possibly Montana State too but they're an unknown since they never get to the title match since they won that one in the early 80s.

I think a JMU/Montana matchup could risk filling Toyota Stadium up, but other than that, any Non-NDSU involved matchup isn't likely to fill it all the way up. Most combinations of regular players outside of the top 3 would give us a 10k crowd at best. JSU may combine with another school to make it a 15-18k crowd.

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2019, 09:15 AM

1. the FCS is boring for FCS fans who aren't NDSU, but maybe not for casual "will watch any football" fans. The reason why is a lack of novelty.
2. Telling teams to "get better" is not really a good strategy. The problem is not anything wrong with FCS but what is right with NDSU. Most of the subdivision has never made the playoffs and is just a financial outlet for a directional state university. Those who legitimately try cannot replicate the NDSU model (confluence of attendance, atmosphere, and other factors we can talk about)

My newer take, about the comment above: There's an excellent series of articles written by Bison illustrated about NDSU moving up. Mixing their analysis and my opinion:
1) conference affiliation doesn't matter. Liberty moved up and I think what NDSU is much better and advantageous.
2) If you look at the increase in revenue NDSU has taken in over the last few years, most of it has to do with donations and merchandising (i.e fan support) and ticket revenue. That is, all of the $$$ they make has to do with their success on the field. Not student fees. Not state funding.
3) The potential for profits is probably about the same at FBS as it is in FCS. Yes, you pay more in travel expenses, but it's made up with more lucrative games.
4) NDSU already meets the minimum standards for FBS in terms of attendance (15,000), but obviously they need greater attendance to achieve greater interest by FBS teams for home and home. Here's where we get a little murky. They obviously can't expand their dome and building a new dome would be a risk because it could be a colossal waste of money if it's too big and NDSU busts at the next level; similarly, if it's too small it could be a waste of money because they may need to expand again. The purpose of a dome in the first place is to prevent the elements from ****ing with you too hard. It's probably the most valuable in late November/December (i.e the playoffs) when the elements take a serious turn, especially up there in the Dakotas. If they went FBS though, they wouldn't play more than 1 or 2 games (including a conference title game), so it wouldn't be as essential to their success.

So IMO if NDSU were to make the jump to FBS they would need to go independent first, build a new stadium that sits like 25-30k but is expandable, need early success. Will that happen? Who knows, but I guarantee you if NDSU goes FBS they will build a new stadium because it makes sense from a long-term revenue perspective (compensate for less home games by having more seats). I have no idea what Fargo looks like or where they would build this stadium, but that's what would have to happen. I think NDSU's only risk at the FCS level at this point is if they become a weird sideshow to "regular" (FBS) college football and their donations and revenue fall flat. I think that, more than anything, will ultimately cause them to go up eventually. They have a good set up right now, but the moment the model is disrupted significantly (not winning a championship in consecutive years), I think that's when they start changing things up.

A new stadium would need to be another indoor stadium. You would lose a lot of fans in late season games due to weather. I'm not sure NDSU could sustain a 15,000 average if they were just playing for G5 bowls. I know a lot of people in Fargo, that were not big Bison fans prior to the recent streak. I even see UND fans going to Frisco as Bison fans. Even the first couple rounds of the playoffs this year didn't sell out. Just don't think Fargo has enough fans, that would come to see a non-playoff eligible team play. Pre-2010 attendance was pretty sketchy, as the fans came out for special games.

Bison56
January 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Don't look now but your high falootin East Coast smug attitude is showing.

Not the first time.

walliver
January 7th, 2019, 09:32 AM

I see independent status for NDSU as being very risky. They will struggle mightily to make up a decent home football schedule. I don't see home games against Liberty and New Mexico State bringing in the kind of crowds needed to justify a new larger stadium.

Liberty is a special situation - conferences either don't want an overtly religious school, don't want non-politically correct schools, or are afraid of Liberty's money.

Bison56
January 7th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Don't know why people always use that, do you realize they pretty much have unlimited funds?

POD Knows
January 7th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Great achievement? Undoubtedly. Boring? You bettah believe it.Don't try to ****ing speak for NDSU fans, yea, we looked freaking bored in Frisco, didn't we.

gsf23nd
January 7th, 2019, 10:22 AM

I'm not bored yet...already making plans for next year. I can tell you though that I would be bored if the best NDSU could do is some throw away bowl in Detroilet.

Bisonator
January 7th, 2019, 10:25 AM

I'd be saying the same thing if I was a Holy Cross fan too. WTF is the point of being D1 if your going to half ass it. You might as well go NAIA at this point.

UNAPride
January 7th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Interesting points being made here. There are obvious reasons NDSU isn't pursuing FBS.

And let me just say that, from all accounts, the highlight of UNA's season was going up and playing in the Fargodome. The "Alabama" of FCS. Glad the Bison scheduled my alma mater to show them how it's done up there. But, just the reference to Alabama in air quotes would bug me after a certain point.

NE and Bama are playing at the top classification of their leagues and do have competition every single year. The Pats play in a usually weak division but Bama is in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football. So, as a Bama and Patriots fan (of which I have been for both just as long as I've supported the Lions - 1985), I can also see that it would frustrate me to know that my team could compete with the big boys but were held back from doing so.

Also, we know that a conference invite isn't the problem. Liberty got a waiver and ND has made the CFP multiples times now with an Indy schedule. All other NDSU sports already have a home at the top level of the NCAA.

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36963&newsID=20472

But, I seriously doubt anything will come of such chatter. Good season NDSU!

Prime Power
January 7th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I think most of you guys that want NDSU to move up and are saying that the FCS is boring are confusing the BORING with an abhorrence towards NDSU or maybe jealousy. xdrunkyx

Sader87
January 7th, 2019, 11:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M

When does this become the NDSU theme song? After their 8th title? 9th title? 12th? 15th? xdrunkyx

Missingnumber7
January 7th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Are we saying that the UCF team that got beat in their meaningless bowl game is better than NDSU? Frost started as an assistant at Northern Iowa.

Silenoz
January 7th, 2019, 12:23 PM
You're not wrong. If we could hit a switch and go we would. Unfortunately the second post was also correct.
Pretty much

TwinCitiesBison
January 7th, 2019, 12:24 PM
#SouthernSpeed

Speaking of, what an asset the Bison have in S&C Coach (or whatever his title is now after his promotion) Jim Kramer. Entire classes have come through the program, head coaches have come and gone, and assistants have shuffled in and out, but Kramer is the rock that the program is built on. In the past 8 years, you can name the number of times the Bison have been physically outmanned on the field on a single hand, FCS and FBS combined, with a couple fingers to spare.

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Speaking of, what an asset the Bison have in S&C Coach (or whatever his title is now after his promotion) Jim Kramer. Entire classes have come through the program, head coaches have come and gone, and assistants have shuffled in and out, but Kramer is the rock that the program is built on. In the past 8 years, you can name the number of times the Bison have been physically outmanned on the field on a single hand, FCS and FBS combined, with a couple fingers to spare.

Hopefully that role change = pay raise. I know Teammakers can't fund him, but if he were to ever leave, I only hope Ryan Napoli comes home.

Grizalltheway
January 7th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Don't know if this has already been posted here, but I found it interesting.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/1/7/18170160/north-dakota-state-fbs

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2019, 07:00 PM
You can have Thibs back now!

only if you throw in a healthy Rose ... but deals off if he gets injured again.

Laker
January 7th, 2019, 07:04 PM
only if you throw in a healthy Rose ... but deals off if he gets injured again.

Some people got all bent out of shape after he said this. I don't know why they bother to follow sports if they did.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25707787/derrick-rose-minnesota-timberwolves-apologizes-saying-doubters-kill

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Some people got all bent out of shape after he said this. I don't know why they bother to follow sports if they did.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25707787/derrick-rose-minnesota-timberwolves-apologizes-saying-doubters-kill

Didn't realize Thibs was fired till just now .. wow !!

As for Rose, the dude grew up west side of Chicago .. he was very pampered and protected all thru HS and 1 scandal filled year in college playing for the pimp that is John Calipari. But Rose is a good guy who just says stupid stuff once in a while. Actually a very humble guy considering how pampered he was his whole life. And he just got snake bit with injuries so Chicago gave up on him ... but the Chicago crowd loved it when he came back and scored 25 on us couple weeks ago.

uni88
January 7th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Didn't realize Thibs was fired till just now .. wow !!

As for Rose, the dude grew up west side of Chicago .. he was very pampered and protected all thru HS and 1 scandal filled year in college playing for the pimp that is John Calipari. But Rose is a good guy who just says stupid stuff once in a while. Actually a very humble guy considering how pampered he was his whole life. And he just got snake bit with injuries so Chicago gave up on him ... but the Chicago crowd loved it when he came back and scored 25 on us couple weeks ago.Southside (Englewood I believe) but spot on.

Hammerhead
January 7th, 2019, 08:56 PM
#1 in one poll does not mean the NCAA recognizes a team as a champion. UCF isn't on this page: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2019, 12:06 AM
Also, we know that a conference invite isn't the problem. Liberty got a waiver and ND has made the CFP multiples times now with an Indy schedule. All other NDSU sports already have a home at the top level of the NCAA.

Come on now, a conference invite is not the only problem, but it is a really large component. Comparing NDSU to Notre Dame and Liberty is very disingenuous. Notre Dame has been competing and winning at the top level for a long time, had that national TV contract for many years with NBC (is that still going?), and over the years has definitely tried to market themselves to Catholics nationwide. While Liberty doesn't have the history, they can attempt the national reach from the religious side with Evangelicals, and their finances are enormous (if wikipedia is to be believed on campus enrollment is around the same size as NDSU, but 100,000 online students).

Let's take a look at other FBS independents:
Army-Is there any need to attempt comparisons with NDSU
BYU-Like Liberty and Notre Dame can attempt the national angle for those not affiliated with the school through the Mormon religion.
UMass- I admittedly do not know much about UMass but as a state school they seem like a reasonable comparison. They moved up with an invite and have looked like a failure anyways.
NMSU- Also seems a reasonable comparison. They were in the Sun Belt, travel costs seem to have been a problem for them and the conference (something that would be an issue for NDSU in any existing FBS conference). We're eventually asked to leave the conference, and this year had to schedule Liberty twice to fill out their schedule.

That list looks like 4 schools that are nothing like NDSU and 2 that have similarities, but most would view as FBS failures. The independent route looks like a really bad option.

dewey
January 8th, 2019, 06:31 AM
I'm not bored yet...already making plans for next year. I can tell you though that I would be bored if the best NDSU could do is some throw away bowl in Detroilet.

EXACTLY!

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
January 8th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Southside (Englewood I believe) but spot on.

oh right, west side used to be hotbed for chicago HS basketball so it just rolled off my tongue/fingers But Simeon HS and Englewood is definitely southside.

still can't believe Thibs was fired. I have to say .. we liked him a lot in Chicago, and our GM duo (Paxson/Forman) have done horribly since their original group (Rose, Noah, Deng, Gibson, etc) went from 40 wins to 62 wins in Thibs 1st year as coach (2010-11). But then Rose and Noah started getting hurt and Thibs wore himself out with management and eventually with players.

Sorry for thread drift ....

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2019, 07:49 AM

we'd bring about 300-500 fans lol

Noryan34
January 8th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Hopefully that role change = pay raise. I know Teammakers can't fund him, but if he were to ever leave, I only hope Ryan Napoli comes home.

Knowing a little about how the public universities system works in a few states. The name change has a high likelihood that it is mostly a way to give him a bigger pay raise than allowed under his old title.

SochorField
January 8th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Somebody mentioned "don't bit*ch, be better" or something to that affect.

Looking forward to 9/21 in Fargo.

Every team in the country is working to change the balance of power in the FCS. These programs sure as hell aren't crying about NDSU being too good. They just want to beat the hell out of them.

Go...gate
January 8th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Somebody mentioned "don't bit*ch, be better" or something to that affect.

Looking forward to 9/21 in Fargo.

Every team in the country is working to change the balance of power in the FCS. These programs sure as hell aren't crying about NDSU being too good. They just want to beat the hell out of them.

Yep. Just like in the glory days of the Yankees, Canadians, Celtics, Packers, UCLA hoops, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, etc.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2019, 06:47 AM
I thought I saw some CA players on the rosters over the years. I admittedly haven’t memorized them.There have been some, but much less than Florida.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
January 11th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Yep. Just like in the glory days of the Yankees, Canadians, Celtics, Packers, UCLA hoops, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, etc.

ahem for 2nd time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Da Bulls !!! _ _ !!!

p.s. please note use of 6 exclamation points with 2 blanks in middle .. that would be 6 Championships in 8 years. Can we get a little love please ?????

abc123
January 11th, 2019, 11:09 AM

A huge reason for that budget disparity is because the "cost" of tuition/room and board/fees are included in it. You need to pull those numbers out to get a true comparison on what a school actually spends on a sport. Just a $5K difference in tuition price over 63 scholarships is over $300K.

clenz
January 11th, 2019, 11:17 AM
A huge reason for that budget disparity is because the "cost" of tuition/room and board/fees are included in it. You need to pull those numbers out to get a true comparison on what a school actually spends on a sport. Just a $5K difference in tuition price over 63 scholarships is over $300K.There's a 5 million dollar difference in budget

JMU 10.1
NDSU 5.3

clenz
January 11th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Operating only budgets

NDSU 1.04m
JMU 2.92m

IBleedYellow
January 11th, 2019, 11:28 AM
There's a 5 million dollar difference in budget

JMU 10.1
NDSU 5.3

https://media.giphy.com/media/p73ysgcGPUhTW/giphy.gif

abc123
January 11th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Operating only budgets

NDSU 1.04m
JMU 2.92m

How much of JMU's budget is related to facility debt service for things like the upgrade to Bridgeforth or Performance Center that was brought on line in 2005? I can't find their EADA report that shows any sort of breakdown.

Overall point is there is a ton of leeway in how those numbers are reported and what goes into them, especially since most schools don't make the underlying data that goes into the reports readily available.

clenz
January 11th, 2019, 11:43 AM
JMU total cost of attendance: 24k in state 40k out of state

NDSU total cost of attendance 21k in state 33k out of state

Based on general roster comp

Average scholarship costs are about
JMU 34k
NDSU 28.5

So you're 5k difference is close. Meaning the total difference in scholarship money is about 440,000 per year.

There's still another 4.4mish dollars to account for

So...

IBleedYellow
January 11th, 2019, 11:45 AM
How much of JMU's budget is related to facility debt service for things like the upgrade to Bridgeforth or Performance Center that was brought on line in 2005? I can't find their EADA report that shows any sort of breakdown.

Overall point is there is a ton of leeway in how those numbers are reported and what goes into them, especially since most schools don't make the underlying data that goes into the reports readily available.

JMU gets 37M from student fees a year.

NDSU's total athletics budget is 26M.

Apples and Oranges, man.

clenz
January 11th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Overall point is there is a ton of leeway in how those numbers are reported and what goes into them, especially since most schools don't make the underlying data that goes into the reports readily available.Explain the difference in just operating budgets

That operating budget has nothing to do with that debt brought on. Some of the rest of the difference between 10.1 and 5.3 might be...but...explain the 1.9 extra million it takes just to operate JMU's program.

They also get something like 38 million dollars a year from student fees alone. NDSU's total budget for the entire department is almost a third less than what JMU takes in from just student fees.

JMU complaining about other schools funding in any way, shape, or form, is just laughable.

abc123
January 11th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Explain the difference in just operating budgets

That's pretty much my point, you can't explain it without seeing the source data which also means you can't compare it because you don't what is actually making up the numbers of what you're looking at. There is quite a bit of latitude in how those reports are prepared and a lot of grey area in what is sport specific or just bunched in with the athletic department as a whole and not only are different schools in different situations, but they also account for similar situations differently.

But I digress. Just wanted to point out that trying to make any sort of comparison likely isn't even close to an apples to apples comparison. I spent a fair amount of time looking through some of those reports a few years back and what you get from the source info is a completely different story than the output from the EADA site. I wish more schools made the source info available, it can be pretty interesting stuff once you know what you're looking at.

I'm have no clue about the JMU complaining about funding, nor am I sure why their subsidies/student fees are so high. I'm sure someone closer to the situation can shed some more light on that.

tierre
January 12th, 2019, 04:07 AM
James Madison is charging their students over $1,400 a year to support their athletic programs. That is highway robbery. Norfolk St. charge just as much.

ST_Lawson
January 12th, 2019, 12:27 PM
James Madison is charging their students over $1,400 a year to support their athletic programs. That is highway robbery. Norfolk St. charge just as much.

Holy crap that's a lot. That's nearly 3 times what WIU's athletic fee is ($18.07/credit hour).

Laker
January 12th, 2019, 12:34 PM

I love sports, but there should be a student riot. College costs enough the way it is.

How much longer until college sports hit the wall and we basically have two divisions- the corporate schools and then the non-scholarship schools? I know that few schools end up in the black in athletics but it seems to be getting worse.

Professor Chaos
January 12th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I love sports, but there should be a student riot. College costs enough the way it is.

How much longer until college sports hit the wall and we basically have two divisions- the corporate schools and then the non-scholarship schools? I know that few schools end up in the black in athletics but it seems to be getting worse.
The odd thing about it is JMU's tuition is allegedly amongst the cheapest in Virginia for a 4 year state school. So I guess the natural question is where to they skimp where other colleges do not?

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2019, 05:03 PM

they tell students the tickets are free but they are paying $250 a game..... they should just show up seeing how much they are paying for tickets

tierre
January 13th, 2019, 03:11 AM
I think that $500 a year should be the max. If your athletic program is getting 75% of its funding from the students then that is not good. I feel that your alumni and fans should pick up the burden not the students. That's means that a 4 year student would be paying almost $6000 to their athletic program before they graduate. Virginia passed a new law that limits the amount of money a school can use to fund their athletic budgets from the students. JMU was getting 80% of its funding from the students

mmiller_34
January 13th, 2019, 10:26 AM
they tell students the tickets are free but they are paying $250 a game..... they should just show up seeing how much they are paying for tickets

I still don’t agree with JMU’s high student athletic fee but.. that athletic fee is in support of all athletics, not just football. So.. it’s more like less than 40 dollars a game (I didn’t look up how many events JMU hosts over all sports.)

Bisonoline
January 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Start a go fundme page to finance it and find us an appropriate conference affiliation that is willing to take us then we can talk.

DFW HOYA
January 13th, 2019, 04:11 PM
I think that $500 a year should be the max. If your athletic program is getting 75% of its funding from the students then that is not good. I feel that your alumni and fans should pick up the burden not the students.

How much is the university subsidizing the band or the student council or the English department? 100% or close to it. It's a decision each school should make on its own.

NDSUtk
January 13th, 2019, 07:15 PM

Time for NDSU to move on.Wait, Holy Cross plays football?

Southern Bison
January 13th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Wait, Holy Cross plays football?About as good as Davidson...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sader87
January 13th, 2019, 10:11 PM
About as good as Davidson...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ooooo...dems fightin' words xdrunkyx

POD Knows
January 14th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Ooooo...dems fightin' words xdrunkyx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRfpcc3LZA

This is literally the only time I have heard of HC doing anything in sports.

walliver
January 14th, 2019, 08:49 AM
When looking at budget numbers, revenue sports need to be segregated from the rest.

There are two widespread revenue sports: football and basketball. A few schools get revenue from women's basketball, hockey, baseball or lacrosse.

The CAA for example stretches from Boston MA to Charleston SC for full members - that is a lot of expense transporting non-revenue sporting teams. Some other conferences are worse.

Some schools own their facilities, others rent or lease facilities. With the latter, they may or may not pay fair market values, and even fair market value varies from location to location.

That said, JMU may be the school that needs to move up. They obviously can pay coaches well enough to lure them away from peer institutions. They're playing FCS football with a FBS budget.

uni88
January 14th, 2019, 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRfpcc3LZA

This is literally the only time I have heard of HC doing anything in sports.Gordy Lockbaum, 2 way player and I believe 2 time Heisman finalist.

POD Knows
January 14th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Gordy Lockbaum, 2 way player and I believe 2 time Heisman finalist.

Sent from my XT1650 using TapatalkYea, wasn't ESPN supposed to have done a 30 for 30 on him. I didn't know who he was until I heard something about the show. I primarily put that Youtube thing in here as a means of poking whatever closet Gopher fans lurk on this board.

KPSUL
January 14th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn graduated from Holy Cross. HC was the NIT champion when those guys were playing. The NIT was on a par with the NCAA back in those days.

uni88
January 14th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn graduated from Holy Cross. HC was the NIT champion when those guys were playing. The NIT was on a par with the NCAA back in those days.

Cool! I did not know that. Unfortunately Holy Cross has slid into obscure mediocrity since those days.

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2019, 09:34 PM

Some would argue that the NIT was much more prestigious.

Sader87
January 14th, 2019, 11:38 PM
For the record, Cousy's team won the NCAA in 1947 and Heinsohn's team won the NIT in 1954.....Holy Cross also won the D1 College World Series in 1952....and yes, I know that most that post here weren't born then xdrunkyx

That being said....have respect for your goddam eldahhhs NDSU!!!! :)

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2019, 11:50 PM
For the record, Cousy's team won the NCAA in 1947 and Heinsohn's team won the NIT in 1954.....Holy Cross also won the D1 College World Series in 1952....and yes, I know that most that post here weren't born then xdrunkyx

That being said....have respect for your goddam eldahhhs NDSU!!!! :)We do, that's why we hold the 2013 team in such high esteem. xcoffeex

Go...gate
January 15th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Some would argue that the NIT was much more prestigious.

Yes.

Go...gate
January 15th, 2019, 06:41 PM

And in that period, the NIT was the more glamorous tournament. Teams got to go to NYC and play in Madison Square Garden.

Bisonoline
January 15th, 2019, 07:42 PM
And in that period, the NIT was the more glamorous tournament. Teams got to go to NYC and play in Madison Square Garden.

I remember when I was growing up that there was much more talk about the NIT than the NCAA. As a matter of fact teams waited to get an NIT invite before responding to a NCAA invite.

uni88
January 15th, 2019, 10:59 PM
I remember when I was growing up that there was much more talk about the NIT than the NCAA. As a matter of fact teams waited to get an NIT invite before responding to a NCAA invite.I think the 40's & 50's were the transitional time with the NIT being the bigger deal in the 40's and the NCAA in the 50's.

walliver
January 16th, 2019, 08:09 AM
The reason the NCAA now owns the NIT is because the NCAA began forcing teams into their own playoff instead of the NIT, were sued, were losing (as the NCAA usually does), and found it cheaper to buy the NIT than pay out damages.

In 2005, the NCAA purchased 10-year rights to the NIT from the MIBA for $56.5 million to settle an antitrust (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust) lawsuit, which had gone to trial and was being argued until very shortly before the settlement was announced. The MIBA alleged that compelling teams to accept invitations to the NCAA tournament even if they preferred to play in the NIT was an illegal use of the NCAA's powers. In addition, it argued that the NCAA's expansion of its tournament to 65 teams (68 since 2011) was designed specifically to bankrupt the NIT. Faced with the very real possibility of being found in violation of federal antitrust law for the third time in its history, the NCAA chose to settle. (The first two violations were related to restrictions on televising college football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._Board_of_Regents_of_the_University_of_Okla homa) and capping assistant coach salaries.) As part of the purchase of the NIT by the NCAA, the MIBA disbanded.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament

clickclack
January 16th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Don't worry...Greg Gattuso has them right where he wants them. You've been warned!

KPSUL
January 16th, 2019, 12:32 PM

I knew that clarification was coming. I didn't google search it before posting, just working from memory.

Preferred Walk-On
January 18th, 2019, 02:13 PM

If my FBS team were INSERT FBS TEAM HERE, and INSERT FBS TEAM HERE had been to (and even won) 7 of 8 Famous Idaho Potato Bowls (or INSERT G5 BOWL GAME HERE), than I'd be "Is that all there is?". Your thoughts?

Also, please don't use payout or national exposure as an argument, as the cost to be FBS will also be higher, especially one as geographically isolated as NDSU.

Sader87
January 19th, 2019, 07:25 PM
To the 99% of FCS fans who aren't NDSU fans.....IT"S BORING....go FBS already, you're embarrassing yourselves

HAL_9000
January 19th, 2019, 08:07 PM
NDSU only plays 4 road games a year.

NDSU does not play a FBS team (admittedly probably not their fault).

NDSU is about the only thing to root for in that area.

I applaud NDSU's success and I don't begrudge them, however, I have lost interest in the Championship game.

Just one poster's opinion.

POD Knows
January 19th, 2019, 08:17 PM
NDSU only plays 4 road games a year.

NDSU does not play a FBS team (admittedly probably not their fault).

NDSU is about the only thing to root for in that area.

I applaud NDSU's success and I don't begrudge them, however, I have lost interest in the Championship game.

Just one poster's opinion.Wow, were your other 14 posts as lame as this one.

WeAreThePride
January 19th, 2019, 09:29 PM
To the 99% of FCS fans who aren't NDSU fans.....IT"S BORING....go FBS already, you're embarrassing yourselves
It’s not boring. It’s great. How exactly are we embarrassing ourselves?

TheKingpin28
January 19th, 2019, 09:50 PM
To the 99% of FCS fans who aren't NDSU fans.....IT"S BORING....go FBS already, you're embarrassing yourselvesMaybe step your play up and stop bitching? Crazy thought. Then again, HC stepping up their play would still equal a first round exit.

Bisonoline
January 20th, 2019, 12:56 AM

Winning the National Championship is embarrassing? Whats embarrassing is you and the Ivy morons who keep hiding behind hypocritical excuses on why you wont put on your big boy pants.

DFW HOYA
January 20th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Winning the National Championship is embarrassing? Whats embarrassing is you and the Ivy morons who keep hiding behind hypocritical excuses on why you wont put on your big boy pants.

Hmmm.. you realize Sader87's team is a scholarship program playing the likes of Navy and Syracuse this fall, don't you?

Bisonoline
January 20th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Hmmm.. you realize Sader87's team is a scholarship program playing the likes of Navy and Syracuse this fall, don't you?

Yes. But he makes the same stupid hypocritical arguments you here from the IVY.

clenz
January 20th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Sader is stuck in the 1980s

That's the embarrassing part of it

cx500d
January 20th, 2019, 07:08 PM

If they are that good, why don't we see them in the playoffs?

tigonian02
January 20th, 2019, 08:01 PM

Nah northern teams are down here a ton...

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1051

Preferred Walk-On
January 20th, 2019, 08:40 PM
If my FBS team were INSERT FBS TEAM HERE, and INSERT FBS TEAM HERE had been to (and even won) 7 of 8 Famous Idaho Potato Bowls (or INSERT G5 BOWL GAME HERE), than I'd be "Is that all there is?". Your thoughts?

I was really hoping for (and quite frankly, expecting) a more intelligent response to my statement above. No worries though. I started a poll in another thread to validate your statement. Cheers! xbeerchugx

walliver
January 21st, 2019, 09:14 AM

Also, please don't use payout or national exposure as an argument, as the cost to be FBS will also be higher, especially one as geographically isolated as NDSU.

Just about every good high school player dreams about playing and winning the College Football Playoff Championship (and also the Super Bowl).

I still loosely follow App State and Georgia Southern. Both groups of fans constantly complained that they had already accomplished everything there was to accomplish in FCS. This was a little strange since is has been a long time since GSU's last national championship. After moving to the Belch and finding that it was no more competitive than the SoCon, they bragged about their bowl games. After playing a few bowl games in Montgomery and other tourist meccas, they are now starting to realize that they have hit the G5 glass ceiling and the bowl games are less exciting.

Some people will never be satisfied.

For me, the regular season is real football, and the playoffs are just lagniappe. I attend the games when I can, and purchase tickets to home games even if can't go just to support the school. But, in the end, I would rather tailgate with family and friends while playing rivals than try to move up a ladder where entry at the top will never be allowed.

As for payout and national exposure, unless you are Clemson or Alabama, the payout isn't that big and national exposure not really that valuable.

UNAPride
January 23rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
Was doing some research on a project and ran across this. Made me chuckle.

After the 1986 D2 title game:

"I wish to hell they would get out of Division II," said South Dakota head coach Dave Triplett following the game. "They can go wherever they want."

https://gobison.com/sports/1986/12/13/865301013.aspx?id=2126

Redbird 4th & short
January 23rd, 2019, 12:57 PM
Was doing some research on a project and ran across this. Made me chuckle.

After the 1986 D2 title game:

"I wish to hell they would get out of Division II," said South Dakota head coach Dave Triplett following the game. "They can go wherever they want."

https://gobison.com/sports/1986/12/13/865301013.aspx?id=2126

Courtesy of Massey, your 1986 NDSU Bison results. And to show how bad Massey ranking is/was at formulating their rankings across divisions that don't play each other ... NDSU was 13-0 playing D-II with average score of 42 - 7 against the 176th ranked SOS, this got them a #29 ranking .... slightly skewed I would say. Also note, the number of teams they played that are now FCS ... USD, SDSU, UND, UNC ... and USD played them toughest twice that year including the D-II Natty. Also note, they played 2 D-II teams that were top 100 teams on way to Natty.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat1986-12-13
at
South Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=41831)playoff
98(11-3)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134586)

Fri1986-12-05

Central St OH (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1422&s=41831)playoff
99(10-1-1)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134630)

Sat1986-11-29

Ashland (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=373&s=41831)playoff
153(9-2)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134629)

Sat1986-11-15
at
North Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5538&s=41831)
351(2-9)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134505)

Sat1986-11-08

Augustana SD (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=433&s=41831)
313(5-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134627)

Sat1986-11-01

NE Omaha (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5300&s=41831)
287(5-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134626)

Sat1986-10-25
at
Morningside (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5119&s=41831)
418(1-10)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134625)

Sat1986-10-18

St Cloud (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6775&s=41831)
306(4-7)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134624)

Sat1986-10-11
at
S Dakota St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7268&s=41831)
201(6-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134623)

Sat1986-10-04
at
N Colorado (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5625&s=41831)
291(3-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134622)

Sat1986-09-27

South Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=41831)
98(11-3)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134576)

Sat1986-09-20
at
MN Mankato (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4882&s=41831)
187(6-4-1)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134620)

Sat1986-09-06

N Michigan (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5651&s=41831)
154(5-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134619)

semobison
January 24th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Courtesy of Massey, your 1986 NDSU Bison results. And to show how bad Massey ranking is/was at formulating their rankings across divisions that don't play each other ... NDSU was 13-0 playing D-II with average score of 42 - 7 against the 176th ranked SOS, this got them a #29 ranking .... slightly skewed I would say. Also note, the number of teams they played that are now FCS ... USD, SDSU, UND, UNC ... and USD played them toughest twice that year including the D-II Natty. Also note, they played 2 D-II teams that were top 100 teams on way to Natty.

Date

Opponent

Result
PF
PA

Sat1986-12-13
at
South Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=41831)playoff
98(11-3)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134586)

Fri1986-12-05

Central St OH (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1422&s=41831)playoff
99(10-1-1)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134630)

Sat1986-11-29

Ashland (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=373&s=41831)playoff
153(9-2)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134629)

Sat1986-11-15
at
North Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5538&s=41831)
351(2-9)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134505)

Sat1986-11-08

Augustana SD (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=433&s=41831)
313(5-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134627)

Sat1986-11-01

NE Omaha (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5300&s=41831)
287(5-6)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134626)

Sat1986-10-25
at
Morningside (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5119&s=41831)
418(1-10)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134625)

Sat1986-10-18

St Cloud (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6775&s=41831)
306(4-7)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134624)

Sat1986-10-11
at
S Dakota St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7268&s=41831)
201(6-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134623)

Sat1986-10-04
at
N Colorado (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5625&s=41831)
291(3-8)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134622)

Sat1986-09-27

South Dakota (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7262&s=41831)
98(11-3)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134576)

Sat1986-09-20
at
MN Mankato (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4882&s=41831)
187(6-4-1)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134620)

Sat1986-09-06

N Michigan (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5651&s=41831)
154(5-5)
W (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=135134619)

Ahh, memories...That 1986 Team was tough. 1AA National Champion Georgia Southern was rated 35th. 6 spots behind the DII Bison!

HootyHoo
January 24th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Don't worry FCS fans, a new challenger is rising in the deep south that will challenge the Bison Dynasty. The FCS has been a one team league for a decade, but no longer. 2019 will be the year of the Owl!!!

POD Knows
January 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Don't worry FCS fans, a new challenger is rising in the deep south that will challenge the Bison Dynasty. The FCS has been a one team league for a decade, but no longer. 2019 will be the year of the Owl!!!Whoo??

TheKingpin28
January 24th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Don't worry FCS fans, a new challenger is rising in the deep south that will challenge the Bison Dynasty. The FCS has been a one team league for a decade, but no longer. 2019 will be the year of the Owl!!!You're back. I missed your tunnel vision posts that lacked a rational thought.

Derby City Duke
January 24th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Temple is dropping back to FCS? And moving out of Philly?

BisonBacker
January 27th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Don't worry FCS fans, a new challenger is rising in the deep south that will challenge the Bison Dynasty. The FCS has been a one team league for a decade, but no longer. 2019 will be the year of the Owl!!!

xlolx

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Who are the Owls? Temple is FBS.