PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham is the place to be this Labor Day weekend!

SU Jag
April 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Its now official, city official got a big pat on the back for helping to bring in the Soutthern and FAMU for the big game Sunday September,2 for the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. Now the big weekend just got bigger! On Monday the local media announced that the night after the big SU/FAMU game in-state rivals Miles and Tuskegee will square off in the Labor Day Classic on Monday September 2@6:30. The Labor Day Classic was discontinued in 04 after the MEAC/SWAC challenge took over the Labor Day slot back in 05'. The Labor Classic in the past featured in-State schools Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Miles, Tuskegee, Albany State, and Clark-Atlanta. The Classic originally featured Alabama State and Jackson State, but after 2 years Alabama A&M replaced Alabama State. The Classic usually draws over 50,000+ exspecially when Miles and Tuskegee square off. Add that with one of the biggest rilvalries in HBCU football Southern/FAMU, city official are expected crowds and an economic impact that will rilval the Magic City Classic which is the biggest football even in Birmigham. Officials are now looking for entertainers to highlight the big weekend, and even have a 4 school battle of the bands Saturday night at the Civic Center. This even will be huge because of the on-going Dome debate in the city of Birmigham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orBLVqekl4s

Your thoughts?xthumbsupx

813Jag
April 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Sounds good. I 'll be there although my wife is a Rattler. I hope we can go to BHam twice this year.

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
My only gripe is that they should have had both games on Saturday. Have the Miles/Tuskegee game @ 4:00 or so and the SU/FAMU kick around 8 or so.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I may even have to make this game and leave Saturday night after we play Prairie View. xthumbsupx

NYSigma
April 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
This is a good chance for some of you guys on AGS who have never witnessed a HBCU game to see one. Both schools will bring a following along and both have two of the best Marching Bands in the HBCU community. It will be fun!!!

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
This is a good chance for some of you guys on AGS who have never witnessed a HBCU game to see one. Both schools will bring a following along and both have two of the best Marching Bands in the HBCU community. It will be fun!!!

This will be off the chainz!xthumbsupx They were talking about it on local sports radio, and this weekend may eclipse Magic City Classic weekend. Just think FAMU, Southern, Miles, and Tuskegee all in one city all on one weekend! I'm ready!

813Jag
April 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
It would be nice if some of us could hook up before the game.

GannonFan
April 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I probably missed it before, but why are Southern and FAMU playing in this game? I thought the SWAC/MEAC challenge paired the previous year's champs in this game - while both programs with storied histories, 2006 was not a great year really for either program, and both fell short of their respective championships.

813Jag
April 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
According to the reliable SWAC.orgxrolleyesx the game was always intended to showcase different teams each year. You can take that with a grain of salt.

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
It would be nice if some of us could hook up before the game.

Sounds like a bet to me! I talked to Tra', Mike Hayes, T.Levy and a few other of my former teammates, and they are pumped. Me and my fiance' just bought a house in Pleasant Grove, a suburb of B'ham so we'll have tons of guest that weekend!xnodx

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I probably missed it before, but why are Southern and FAMU playing in this game? I thought the SWAC/MEAC challenge paired the previous year's champs in this game - while both programs with storied histories, 2006 was not a great year really for either program, and both fell short of their respective championships.

Southern/FAMU is an intense rilvary! Well intense probably doesnt explain how much we hate FAMU and visa versa. Plus you have 2 of the largest fan bases in FCS,two of the best bands, and throw all of that in together.

GannonFan
April 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Southern/FAMU is an intense rilvary! Well intense probably doesnt explain how much we hate FAMU and visa versa. Plus you have 2 of the largest fan bases in FCS,two of the best bands, and throw all of that in together.

I don't doubt that at all, SU and FAMU are arguably 2 of the top 10 programs in all of FCS on all accounts - it's certainly a great matchup on and off the field. Just was unsure as to the selection process for this event, but the other poster cleared it up. xthumbsupx

CCU97
April 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I may have to drive over to see this game...sounds like an amazing weekend!

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I may have to drive over to see this game...sounds like an amazing weekend!

C'mon over! Hopefully some of the AGSer can meet up!xnodx

JaxSinfonian
April 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
That's gonna be a great weekend for college football in Alabama. In addition to the HBCU action, Jax State visits Alabama State down in Montgomery on Saturday, and West Alabama plays at Samford on Thursday night.

And if you can't make it to any of those championship-level games, Auburn and UAT are both at home, too (At least the Tide had the sense to bring in a championship-level team ... go Catamounts!). Too bad AAMU will be on the road, as will UAB and Troy.

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
That's gonna be a great weekend for college football in Alabama. In addition to the HBCU action, Jax State visits Alabama State down in Montgomery on Saturday, and West Alabama plays at Samford on Thursday night.

And if you can't make it to any of those championship-level games, Auburn and UAT are both at home, too (At least the Tide had the sense to bring in a championship-level team ... go Catamounts!). Too bad AAMU will be on the road, as will UAB and Troy.

Hey Jax, who does Troy and UAB have that week?

JaxSinfonian
April 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
UAB visits Michigan State while Troy heads to Arkansas for a whuppin' (I hope).

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
UAB visits Michigan State while Troy heads to Arkansas for a whuppin' (I hope).

The scoreboard at Snow looks real nice! I came down for the Spring game last week.xnodx

813Jag
April 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a bet to me! I talked to Tra', Mike Hayes, T.Levy and a few other of my former teammates, and they are pumped. Me and my fiance' just bought a house in Pleasant Grove, a suburb of B'ham so we'll have tons of guest that weekend!xnodx
When were you on the yard? My cousin played 96-98 I think.

SU Jag
April 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
When were you on the yard? My cousin played 96-98 I think.

2000-05

813Jag
April 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ok. I finished in 02. I can't wait for this game, I'm trying to get a bunch of folks from Tampa to come.

GAD
April 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
My brother and I are definitely planning on being therexnodx

JaxSinfonian
April 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM
The scoreboard at Snow looks real nice! I came down for the Spring game last week.xnodx

It is looking sharp, isn't it? Nice to have a fan in Birmingham who's not even connected to the school (you're not, are you?)

If you make it out for a game this year you'll have to stop by our tailgate. Plenty of bratwurst, burgers and 'dogs.

Cocky
April 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
This even will be huge because of the on-going Dome debate in the city of Birmigham.

Your thoughts?xthumbsupx

If The Ham gets the dome, maybe a bid for the Division I Championship Game. The proposed 40,000 seater would be just about perfect size for the game. The entertainment district, history (football and otherwise), and the plenty of other things to do in The Ham would make a perfect place for the game. Plus, Southwest flies to BHM for the Western US fans.

SU Jag
April 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM
It is looking sharp, isn't it? Nice to have a fan in Birmingham who's not even connected to the school (you're not, are you?)

If you make it out for a game this year you'll have to stop by our tailgate. Plenty of bratwurst, burgers and 'dogs.

My fiance's sister attends JSU, plus I go to church with Russel and Clay Green,William Bowie, LeRoy Clark and a few others. I've spent plenty of weekends in east Alabama.

SU Jag
April 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM
If The Ham gets the dome, maybe a bid for the Division I Championship Game. The proposed 40,000 seater would be just about perfect size for the game. The entertainment district, history (football and otherwise), and the plenty of other things to do in The Ham would make a perfect place for the game. Plus, Southwest flies to BHM for the Western US fans.

The 40,000 seater is a joke! Whats happens to all of the big games if this 40,000 seater is built?

nothingbutjsu
April 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM
With Jacksonville St/Alabama State game 90 miles down the road on Sept 1st, it'll be a huge football weekend in Alabama.

SU Jag
April 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM
With Jacksonville St/Alabama State game 90 miles down the road on Sept 1st, it'll be a huge football weekend in Alabama.

Yep!xnodx

Peems
April 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
will these be televised? or any type of media. I mean its hard to get to Alabama from Montana on labor day. Plus the Griz be playing! xnodx

SU Jag
April 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
will these be televised? or any type of media. I mean its hard to get to Alabama from Montana on labor day. Plus the Griz be playing! xnodx

ESPN U for both I think.

813Jag
April 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
ESPN U for both I think.
Do you know if Wade Streeter is still the coach at Miles? I don't think it's been determined but it'll be either ESPN2 or ESPNU

SU Jag
April 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Do you know if Wade Streeter is still the coach at Miles? I don't think it's been determined but it'll be either ESPN2 or ESPNU

Yeah, he is still there! He on his last leg but he is still there!

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
ESPN U for both I think.
I think SU vs Famu is going to be on ESPN or ESPN 2.

Cocky
April 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
My fiance's sister attends JSU, plus I go to church with Russel and Clay Green,William Bowie, LeRoy Clark and a few others. I've spent plenty of weekends in east Alabama.

You only hang out with the great ones!!

Peems
April 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I think SU vs Famu is going to be on ESPN or ESPN 2.

lets hope xnodx

GeauxColonels
April 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Its now official, city official got a big pat on the back for helping to bring in the Soutthern and FAMU for the big game Sunday September,2 for the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. Now the big weekend just got bigger! On Monday the local media announced that the night after the big SU/FAMU game in-state rivals Miles and Tuskegee will square off in the Labor Day Classic on Monday September 2@6:30. The Labor Day Classic was discontinued in 04 after the MEAC/SWAC challenge took over the Labor Day slot back in 05'. The Labor Classic in the past featured in-State schools Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Miles, Tuskegee, Albany State, and Clark-Atlanta. The Classic originally featured Alabama State and Jackson State, but after 2 years Alabama A&M replaced Alabama State. The Classic usually draws over 50,000+ exspecially when Miles and Tuskegee square off. Add that with one of the biggest rilvalries in HBCU football Southern/FAMU, city official are expected crowds and an economic impact that will rilval the Magic City Classic which is the biggest football even in Birmigham. Officials are now looking for entertainers to highlight the big weekend, and even have a 4 school battle of the bands Saturday night at the Civic Center. This even will be huge because of the on-going Dome debate in the city of Birmigham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orBLVqekl4s

Your thoughts?xthumbsupx
WOW!! xeekx xeekx xeekx

That's going to be a CRAZY weekend. I feel bad for the traffic that weekend!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "on-going Dome debate" you mentioned?

SU Jag
April 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
WOW!! xeekx xeekx xeekx

That's going to be a CRAZY weekend. I feel bad for the traffic that weekend!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "on-going Dome debate" you mentioned?

You're right about that. Traffic will be a headache. Now with the dome. The idea has been floating around for about 11-years here in Birmingham. The original idea was to have a 80,000 seat dome, and build an entertainment area around it. Many people in the inner-city was all for it, but most outside of the city were didnt like the idea. A few months back the Mayor came up with a 40,000 seat mini-dome idea and everyone was all for that except most of the people in the inner-city. With a 40,000 seat stadium you exclude the Magic City Classic(the biggest sporting event in Birmingham), and some of the larger HBCU games like the one we're talking about. So we're now stuck in the mud! Alums of both ASU and AAMU were outraged because of the 40,000 seat proposal. Many people beleive that their is a racial element to the whole thing.

jstate83
April 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
My only gripe is that they should have had both games on Saturday. Have the Miles/Tuskegee game @ 4:00 or so and the SU/FAMU kick around 8 or so.

2 day's 2 games is good for 2 reassons.

#1. It's LABOR DAY IN THE SOUTH.
Do you know how hot it will be for a 4pm or earlier kickoff.
Man..................Mofo's would be sweatin' worse than Cool Hand Luke.xlolx

#2. JSU was part of a double header Labor day weekend in Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium in '91.
We played Bamma State and Clark Atl played someone else.
The Traffic was a byotch.xeekx
TOOOO MANY people trying to get in and out at the same time.
Same with tailgating.

Can you imagine SU/FAMU fans and the 2 "hometown teams" fans trying to get into that area at the same time?xlolx

If anything, the games should be on Saturday and SUNDAY instead of waiting for Monday.
Monday could be an extended "Family Day" by getting ole boy that do the Battle of the Bands in Jackson every year.
Place would be packed for a 3rd day.

JaxSinfonian
April 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Wow ... That's plenty of pedigree to make you a fan. Hopefully Southern and Jax State will never meet on the field and make you choose.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
that should be a pretty awesome weekend... wish i could be there

mikebigg
April 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM

And one helluva smart move to use this renewal of an intense rivalry as an opening game at a neutral site on a holiday weekend...opening week at that! Man what a monster draw this gonna be. I'm gonna catch GSU vs Alcorn at the crib and then get ready for the Sunday tailgating and cookout during the pregame.

jstate83
April 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
And one helluva smart move to use this renewal of an intense rivalry as an opening game at a neutral site on a holiday weekend...opening week at that! Man what a monster draw this gonna be. I'm gonna catch GSU vs Alcorn at the crib and then get ready for the Sunday tailgating and cookout during the pregame.

That is gonna be a packed game also.

A lot of people, MYSELF INCLUDED, are gonna try and pull off that ALCORN/JSU Double header Saturday.

If this game is at 1:30 I'll be at Alcorn, hit the road and be back in time for JSU's opening game in Jackson at 6:30pm. xnodx

Hit the road for B-Ham Sunday morning to catch them Snakes and Jag's . xlolx
Gotta stock up on the Red Bull's. xlolx
This old body ain't gonna be worth a damm come Monday. xlolx

SU Jag
April 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Thats a lot of driving!xnodx

SU Jag
April 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Wow ... That's plenty of pedigree to make you a fan. Hopefully Southern and Jax State will never meet on the field and make you choose.

SU all the way, no contest! I bleed blue and gold Jax!xnodx

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
You're right about that. Traffic will be a headache. Now with the dome. The idea has been floating around for about 11-years here in Birmingham. The original idea was to have a 80,000 seat dome, and build an entertainment area around it. Many people in the inner-city was all for it, but most outside of the city were didnt like the idea. A few months back the Mayor came up with a 40,000 seat mini-dome idea and everyone was all for that except most of the people in the inner-city. With a 40,000 seat stadium you exclude the Magic City Classic(the biggest sporting event in Birmingham), and some of the larger HBCU games like the one we're talking about. So we're now stuck in the mud! Alums of both ASU and AAMU were outraged because of the 40,000 seat proposal. Many people beleive that their is a racial element to the whole thing.
Hmmmm 40,000 seems kinda dumb....and why a dome? Why not a large outdoor stadium. I would think that the construction cost would be lower as well.

I know Legion Field is falling apart...is there any talk about a significant make-over of that facility?

SU Jag
April 12th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hmmmm 40,000 seems kinda dumb....and why a dome? Why not a large outdoor stadium. I would think that the construction cost would be lower as well.

I know Legion Field is falling apart...is there any talk about a significant make-over of that facility?

Yeah, most people just want a MAJOR make-over for Legion Feild! I like that better than the dome idea.

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, most people just want a MAJOR make-over for Legion Feild! I like that better than the dome idea.
Me too. You already have a fairly large stadium...with TONS of history. Why not bring it "up-to date"?

SU Jag
April 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Me too. You already have a fairly large stadium...with TONS of history. Why not bring it "up-to date"?

Because that makes to much sense for the idiots who run this city!xnodx

Cocky
April 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Don't forget the County Commissioners. According to today's paper most have changed their mind again in less than 2 months.

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hmmmm...sounds like a problem you can find in almost ANY city in America. xsmhx

jstate83
April 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Thats a lot of driving!xnodx

It's done all the time.xnodx
Alcorn is only about 1 1/2 hours away.........(2 lane hwy the closer you get to Port Gibson).
We will get there by 9am...............Tailgate on mini grill.

Alcorns game will be over by 4:30.
We will leave and be back in Jackson in time to get a sausage off the grill at the tailgates there..................Game start's at 6:45pm.

Party Saturday night and roll out bout 8 Sunday morning.
Labor Day is alway's Road Worrier weekend in Jackson.xlolx

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 09:06 AM
sounds like a pretty easy trip...

jstate83
April 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
sounds like a pretty easy trip...

Yep.................A buddie of mine is an ALCORN Grad.xnodx
I'll go down there and talk noise about them.
He will come to the JSU game and talk noise about us.

Then we both gonna be talking noise to the Jags and Snakes on Sunday. xlolx

813Jag
April 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yep.................A buddie of mine is an ALCORN Grad.xnodx
I'll go down there and talk noise about them.
He will come to the JSU game and talk noise about us.

Then we both gonna be talking noise to the Jags and Snakes on Sunday. xlolx
That sounds like fun, that's what I did at the Florida Classic last year. Talk trash all game long. I'm bringing Rattlers and BCC wildcats with me to B-Ham.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
IT HAS ALREADY STARTED xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgR9Zng--M

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdllyHH0_ew&NR=1

xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.meacswacchallenge.com/ xthumbsupx

GeauxColonels
April 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM

vs

xlolx
I prefer the Southern video. The FAMU one was boring.

813Jag
April 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I prefer the Southern video. The FAMU one was boring.
That's how the Rattlers do it. It's a contrast of styles. I can't wait for this gamexrotatehx

SU Jag
April 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM

vs

xlolx

Its on!xnodx xnodx xnodx

GeauxColonels
April 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
That's how the Rattlers do it. It's a contrast of styles. I can't wait for this gamexrotatehx
If that's the styles, I'll chose SU every day of the week. And I'm not even a big fan of show bands.

813Jag
April 17th, 2007, 06:28 AM
If that's the styles, I'll chose SU every day of the week. And I'm not even a big fan of show bands.
Don't get me wrong FAMU has a great band especially soundwise. But to me they have to many folks marching around on the field.

SU Jag
April 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM
The game has a 1:30 kick off on Sunday right?!?!?

SU Jag
April 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Another BIG turn for this weekend. Both games will be held on Sunday. I read it in the B'ham news yesterday.xnodx SU/FAMU kick at 1:30, Miles/Skeege kick at 6:30.

jstate83
April 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Another BIG turn for this weekend. Both games will be held on Sunday. I read it in the B'ham news yesterday.xnodx SU/FAMU kick at 1:30, Miles/Skeege kick at 6:30.

A 1:30 kickoff, Labor Day weekend, in the SOUTH, end of August.xeekx
It's gonna be 120 degrees on that turf in Legion Field.xlolx

Good Lawd. xlolx

SU Jag
April 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM

Good Lawd. xlolx

Traffic will be a B*tch!xnodx

GAD
April 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Good Lawd. xlolx
yup Bring plenty of fluids to drink!

jstate83
April 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
yup Bring plenty of fluids to drink!

None of it can be alcohol.
Ya'll know it's gonna be that one section in the stadium where dang near everyone is passed out by halftime.

That sun is gonna bake people.
Especially the poor soul's that are tabbed to be the cook's at each tailgate. xlolx

There is gonna be a mad dash for those spot's in front of Legion Field on the grass.xlolx
Bet those be filled by friday afternoon.xnodx
That's the only spot on those grounds that have tree's blocking out the sun.xlolx

SU Jag
April 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
None of it can be alcohol.
Ya'll know it's gonna be that one section in the stadium where dang near everyone is passed out by halftime.

That sun is gonna bake people.
Especially the poor soul's that are tabbed to be the cook's at each tailgate. xlolx

There is gonna be a mad dash for those spot's in front of Legion Field on the grass.xlolx
Bet those be filled by friday afternoon.xnodx
That's the only spot on those grounds that have tree's blocking out the sun.xlolx

Tailgating will be rough! Better get there early because you've got 4 very large fan bases.

813Jag
April 22nd, 2007, 07:14 AM
It's going to be a busy weekend for sure. 1:30 P.M. it's surely gonna be hot but I'll be dressed for the weather. Shorts and a T-shirtxthumbsupx

SU Jag
April 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I cant wait for this double-header!xnodx I wonder how much $$$$$ will be pumped into Birmingham's economy on this weekend. They're expected way over 100,000+ for the 2 games. My next question is, will there be one ticket for to games or do you have to buy two tickets?

813Jag
April 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm checking ticketmaster to find out I can't wait for that weekend xthumbsupx

SU Jag
April 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'm checking ticketmaster to find out I can't wait for that weekend xthumbsupx

I guess tailgating will start probably by Wednesday or no later than Thurday morning. I know during Magic City Classic weekend, the open up the lots at 9:00am on Wednesday morning for the RVs to pull in, usually by Thursday afternoon damn near all of the spots are full.xnodx. All four of these schools rank near the top of their divisions in attendence every year. I think Miles and Skegee are both in the top 5 in D-II.