PDA

View Full Version : Maine Head Coaching Search

ccd494
December 20th, 2018, 10:09 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/source-maine-head-coach-joe-harasymiak-leaving-assistant-job-minnesota-154431377.html

Anyone aware of any decent coaches willing to be a head FCS coach for less than $150,000, while having to play two FBS programs to keep the lights on, and have no local recruiting base?

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2018, 10:19 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/source-maine-head-coach-joe-harasymiak-leaving-assistant-job-minnesota-154431377.html

Anyone aware of any decent coaches willing to be a head FCS coach for less than $150,000, while having to play two FBS programs to keep the lights on, and have no local recruiting base?

There will be a stack of resumes in Ken Ralph's e-mail box. There are a ton of good coaches making next to nothing as assistants.

Laker
December 20th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I see that he is coming to Minnesota. Maybe I'll run into him.

KPSUL
December 20th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Well the only good news is that he probably won't take any Asst. Coaches from Maine with him. They might promote from within again-that Defensive Coordinator look high energy, high performing during the playoff games. There is already a lot of very good talent at Maine returning next season. Also noticed Maine only signed 4 early NLI recruits yesterday - maybe not a lot of scholarships available at the moment? All indicative of a HC not thinking long term.

maine612
December 20th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The low number of NLI is concerning...but young squad with fewer openings. They need to promote Hetherman or he will leave too.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2018, 11:01 AM
The low number of NLI is concerning...but young squad with fewer openings. They need to promote Hetherman or he will leave too.

What's considered a low number?

phoenix3
December 20th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Hate to hear that for you guys. Really respected your HC and the job you did this year in conference and in the playoffs. Good luck in your search!

Punchy
December 20th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Maine was a beast in 2018!

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2018, 11:28 AM

If there is a silver lining for Maine it's that we're currently in a recruiting dead period right now meaning no contact from coaches to recruits until 1/10. So Maine does have some time to get coaches named and a recruiting class salvaged without falling behind other schools.

centennial
December 20th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Coach Polasek was NDSU's O coach. Now at Iowa. Had some really good offensive schemes even praised by NFL teams, play calling was not the greatest but excellent recruiter.

Probably can be had for 350. Indiana State's coach also could be had for 300. Eric Wolford would be interesting too but he is at South Carolina making 600k. I don't even think it would be easy to steal a known coordinator at 150k. This head coach salary would probably be the lowest in the Valley.

Ferris State the D2 national runner up this year. I think the coach makes 50-75k. Excellent team. Would beat a good fourth of the FCS playoffs field.

Derby City Duke
December 20th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Congratulations to Coach Harasymiak; good luck with the coaching search. That's a pretty good, young team up there in Orono.

MaineFan
December 20th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Maine was a beast in 2018!

with 18 starters back i suspect they will be even better next year. This is a good situation for someone.

cx500d
December 20th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Well the only good news is that he probably won't take any Asst. Coaches from Maine with him. They might promote from within again-that Defensive Coordinator look high energy, high performing during the playoff games. There is already a lot of very good talent at Maine returning next season. Also noticed Maine only signed 4 early NLI recruits yesterday - maybe not a lot of scholarships available at the moment? All indicative of a HC not thinking long term.

This is your fault 612!

RootinFerDukes
December 20th, 2018, 12:57 PM
If there is a silver lining for Maine it's that we're currently in a recruiting dead period right now meaning no contact from coaches to recruits until 1/10. So Maine does have some time to get coaches named and a recruiting class salvaged without falling behind other schools.

I read that only applies to in person visits. Coaches can still call/email/twitter etc.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I read that only applies to in person visits. Coaches can still call/email/twitter etc.
Yeah, looks like you're right. Learn something new every day... :)

Anthony215
December 20th, 2018, 01:21 PM
With success FCS schools have to know there's always a great chance their HC gets the call for a FBS gig either as a coordinator or HC so if Maine is smart they quickly name his replacement probably their DC to keep their recruiting class in tact. The best thing is that because he's leaving as a DC he won't raid their staff so the transition should be pretty easy if they hire within house. Seeing as though the pay is rather low (A couple PSAC D2 coaches aren't that far off his salary at Maine) unless they increase future pay if they maintain decent success they'll always be looking for a new coach every 2-4 years.....

Mattymc727
December 20th, 2018, 01:23 PM
So he wont even be a defensive coordinator at Minnesota?

I get the pay raise, but can you really shine as the 4th/5th coach on Minnesota rather than the HC at Maine? I would think its better to wait for a G5 HC gig to be offered than this....

ccd494
December 20th, 2018, 01:34 PM
So he wont even be a defensive coordinator at Minnesota?

I get the pay raise, but can you really shine as the 4th/5th coach on Minnesota rather than the HC at Maine? I would think its better to wait for a G5 HC gig to be offered than this....

Three FCS head coaches moved up this past year. K-State fans hated the Klieman hire. The other two were ECU and Charlotte, not exactly top jobs.

Tons of good G-5's and a few Power 5's hired P5 assistants. I think Harasymiak read the room. Do well at Minnesota for a couple years, get a DC job, get a better FBS HC job than an FCS coach can get. I also wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to see how things were done at schools with more than two nickels to rub together before running his own program elsewhere.

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 01:54 PM

This was my thought. I feared the JMU job more since it may have caused a mass exodus.

I think he can get a raise now and quickly work his way up in a p5.

Rossi (d coordinator at minn) was maines d coordinator in '11. Maybe he thinks Rossi can move up and he can follow him as a d coordinator.... Probably a great move for him. He'll rise fast.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Three FCS head coaches moved up this past year. K-State fans hated the Klieman hire. The other two were ECU and Charlotte, not exactly top jobs.

Tons of good G-5's and a few Power 5's hired P5 assistants. I think Harasymiak read the room. Do well at Minnesota for a couple years, get a DC job, get a better FBS HC job than an FCS coach can get. I also wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to see how things were done at schools with more than two nickels to rub together before running his own program elsewhere.

Arth also moved from UTC to Toledo. Again, not a top job.

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 02:19 PM
This outlines the situation at maine well. They still need to address the pay disparity...

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/19/sports/umaine-sports/hes-the-lowest-paid-football-coach-in-the-caa-but-umaines-harasymiak-may-receive-more-lucrative-offers/

FUBeAR
December 20th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Arth also moved from UTC to Toledo. Again, not a top job.
Jeez...did he leave Akron already? That dude doesn’t let any moss grow under his feet, does he?

jmu007
December 20th, 2018, 03:49 PM
https://jmusports.com/news/2018/12/20/cignetti-adds-hetherman-and-merritt.aspx

Maine DC Corey Hetherman hired by Curt Cignetti at JMU to same post.

"Hetherman comes to Harrisonburg after spending the previous four seasons on the staff at Maine as defensive line coach, including the last three years as the Black Bears' defensive coordinator. He led Maine's "Black Hole" defense unprecedented heights in 2018, leading to the program winning the Colonial Athletic Association championship and the program's first berth in the FCS semifinals."

fc97
December 20th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Maine and Elon screwed by Cignetti. Just lost our RB coach

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2018, 04:22 PM

Similar to how we lost our HC last year to being a WRs coach at Arizona State. Not even an OC...just a WRs coach. Still doubled his salary though.

cx500d
December 20th, 2018, 04:23 PM
https://jmusports.com/news/2018/12/20/cignetti-adds-hetherman-and-merritt.aspx

Maine DC Corey Hetherman hired by Curt Cignetti at JMU to same post.

"Hetherman comes to Harrisonburg after spending the previous four seasons on the staff at Maine as defensive line coach, including the last three years as the Black Bears' defensive coordinator. He led Maine's "Black Hole" defense unprecedented heights in 2018, leading to the program winning the Colonial Athletic Association championship and the program's first berth in the FCS semifinals."

Wow, Hetherman probably could have become the new head coach at Maine.

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Wow, Hetherman probably could have become the new head coach at Maine.

I would have thought so. What is going on in Orono?

cx500d
December 20th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I would have thought so. What is going on in Orono?

I wonder if Hetherman knew Harasymiak was leaving before he accepted the JMU job?

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I wonder if Hetherman knew Harasymiak was leaving before he accepted the JMU job?

I'm afraid this is a sign of major dysfunction at Maine. Local media has been talking heavily about needing to step up the salary for the head coach and assistants so I wonder if Harasymiak left because of Hetherman?

I could see this playing out. Cignetti offers Hetherman the gig and Harasymiak goes to the ad to try and counter and they wouldn't budge. Harasymiak sees the writing on the wall and calls his friend Rossi. This would make sense because I would think Hetherman would rather be the head guy at Maine than the defense coordinator at JMU.

How much does a coordinator make at JMU?

Only other option I can see is Harasymiak told everyone he was gone and Maine either wanted to do a search or made it clear that Hetherman was not their guy.

If the school isn't going to step up and support the program, how can they beg me for money to fund the football program with a straight face?

whoanellie
December 20th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Wow, Hetherman probably could have become the new head coach at Maine. and take a pay cut?

Derby City Duke
December 20th, 2018, 05:59 PM
I'm afraid this is a sign of major dysfunction at Maine. Local media has been talking heavily about needing to step up the salary for the head coach and assistants so I wonder if Harasymiak left because of Hetherman?

I could see this playing out. Cignetti offers Hetherman the gig and Harasymiak goes to the ad to try and counter and they wouldn't budge. Harasymiak sees the writing on the wall and calls his friend Rossi. This would make sense because I would think Hetherman would rather be the head guy at Maine than the defense coordinator at JMU.

How much does a coordinator make at JMU?

Only other option I can see is Harasymiak told everyone he was gone and Maine either wanted to do a search or made it clear that Hetherman was not their guy.

If the school isn't going to step up and support the program, how can they beg me for money to fund the football program with a straight face?

Our former DC and OC made 165K and 155K respectively for the 2018 season -- each was in his 3rd year with JMU. They'd earned salary bumps of 25K and 15K from '17 season. Don't know what they are making @ ECU but the guys they replaced were making north of 250K and the OC made 304K for the '17 season.

mainejeff
December 20th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Our former DC and OC made 165K and 155K respectively for the 2018 season -- each was in his 3rd year with JMU. They'd earned salary bumps of 25K and 15K from '17 season. Don't know what they are making @ ECU but the guys they replaced were making north of 250K and the OC made 304K for the '17 season.

So Hetherman probably could have made about the same at Maine as HC. Something doesn't smell right....unless he just didn't want to be HC at Maine.

Derby City Duke
December 20th, 2018, 06:32 PM
So Hetherman probably could have made about the same at Maine as HC. Something doesn't smell right....unless he just didn't want to be HC at Maine.

From reading the article in the Maine paper it sounds like they were going to struggle to give Harasymiak a raise which translated into no raise for the coordinators either -- and prompted Coach H to head west and the other Coach H to head south...

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 06:37 PM

Agreed. I'm afraid this is a sign of major dysfunction at maine.

As previously posted I almost wonder if Hetherman got his offer first and Maine wouldn't compete and that was the final straw for Harasymiak.

RootinFerDukes
December 20th, 2018, 06:49 PM
This past season, JMU’s DC Bob Trott was making $165K. They haven’t announced what Hetherman will make but it’s entirely possible he’d be making near Maine HC pay as a DC.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 20th, 2018, 08:09 PM
So the charter plane from JMU 2 weeks ago was not a visit with Harasymiak but more than likely a visit for Hetherman.xbowx
As much as this sounds bad for Maine it is also a reflection of what a good job this coaches did and they are not leaving the cupbooards bare. This team is loaded and now the AD needs to act quickly and get some new coaches in here ASAP. He said he had 48 resumes in 3 hrs after Harasymiak's announcement.

Also the AD mentioned Harasymiak had told him the Minnesota job was what he really wanted and if he was offered it he was going to take it. Harasymiak obviously has a plan to grow and feels this is job is best suited to get him there. Good luck Coach H.

Srdnaty
December 20th, 2018, 09:33 PM
So the charter plane from JMU 2 weeks ago was not a visit with Harasymiak but more than likely a visit for Hetherman.xbowx
As much as this sounds bad for Maine it is also a reflection of what a good job this coaches did and they are not leaving the cupbooards bare. This team is loaded and now the AD needs to act quickly and get some new coaches in here ASAP. He said he had 48 resumes in 3 hrs after Harasymiak's announcement.

Also the AD mentioned Harasymiak had told him the Minnesota job was what he really wanted and if he was offered it he was going to take it. Harasymiak obviously has a plan to grow and feels this is job is best suited to get him there. Good luck Coach H.

I listened to the ADs interview with Rich. As you mentioned he specially mentioned how Joe said it wasn't about money and that he wanted to be in a P5 conference. If that's the case I wonder if Harasymiak turned down JMU. Everyone under the sun was reporting he was their top choice. I don't think the jet was for Hetherman. I doubt that they would do that for a coordinator. It adds up.

I don't think Joe sees his path as fcs -> low level FBS -> P5.

I think he's hoping to get a coordinator job within a two or three years and be a P5 coach in 5 years.

I just don't know that he's right, but I wish him the best.

uni88
December 20th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Agreed. I'm afraid this is a sign of major dysfunction at maine.

As previously posted I almost wonder if Hetherman got his offer first and Maine wouldn't compete and that was the final straw for Harasymiak.It could be as simple as JMU offered Hetherman the DC position and he told Maine that he needed a decision on his HC candidacy and they went with the we have to follow the process response. He then took the sure thing rather than losing it while waiting for Maine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mattymc727
December 21st, 2018, 06:41 AM
Real rough spot for Maine. Doesn't matter who is coming back player wise if you don't hire the right coaches.

Maine did great 3 yrs ago, lets see if they can do it again....

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2018, 07:11 AM
Saw some bullish looking lady(?) drinking moxie at the kittery trading post. Maine's probably close to making an offer

mainejeff
December 21st, 2018, 07:18 AM
Saw some bullish looking lady(?) drinking moxie at the kittery trading post. Maine's probably close to making an offer

I saw her too! She was wearing a UNH sweatshirt.

RootinFerDukes
December 21st, 2018, 07:25 AM

That awkward moment when both rivals realize they have the same number of all time semifinal appearances. One.

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2018, 07:42 AM
That awkward moment when both rivals realize they have the same number of all time semifinal appearances. One.

UNH has 2........xdrunkyx

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2018, 07:44 AM

HAAAAAAA, don't worry jeff, when lyons and coach Mac leave in the next year or two you'll have a chance to laugh at our broke asses searching for a coach too.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 21st, 2018, 07:54 AM

That awkward moment when the Evil Empire pokes fun at the New England schools only to be wrong in his ribbingxthumbsupx

mainejeff
December 21st, 2018, 07:57 AM
I hope that JMU chokes on their "perfect" coaching staff.

xcoffeex

RootinFerDukes
December 21st, 2018, 07:59 AM
UNH has 2........xdrunkyx

I thought that 2014 game where you lost to ISU was your only one? Was the 2013 game at NDSU a semi?

edit: yep it was. I fail at memorizing the playoff appearances of other CAA teams. I'm sorry for comparing the wildcats to the black bears. xdrunkyx

RootinFerDukes
December 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
That awkward moment when the Evil Empire pokes fun at the New England schools only to be wrong in his ribbingxthumbsupx

Evil Empire? Harrisonburg isn't Fargo or Tuscaloosa.... or the Bronx in baseball.

BisonFan02
December 21st, 2018, 08:07 AM
I thought that 2014 game where you lost to ISU was your only one? Was the 2013 game at NDSU a semi?

They did....surprised they remember that one.

ccd494
December 21st, 2018, 08:09 AM
I hope that JMU chokes on their "perfect" coaching staff.

xcoffeex

I don't get this. If Maine doesn't want to get mad at coaches who leave and the schools to which they move, Maine should pay at or above market rate for its coaches.

I'm happy for both Coaches H. They are moving upwards in their careers.

I am worried for UMaine, both in the short term (Maine won a LOT of close games against some mediocre teams, and I know everyone comes back but I don't see the guarantee of the quarterfinals or anything next year) and the long term (without further investment, this program won't be able to compete at all, like the basketball team).

Mattymc727
December 21st, 2018, 08:12 AM
Hard to call it a semifinal as it was an honorary practice for NDSUs oerfect season run.

I will say it was a good playoff run for UNH that year, beating the CAA champs Maine to make the playoffs, shellacking Fordham, beating the crap out of Maine again up in Orono, and then winning down in Louisiana before the massacre in Fargo.

mainejeff
December 21st, 2018, 09:23 AM
I don't get this. If Maine doesn't want to get mad at coaches who leave and the schools to which they move, Maine should pay at or above market rate for its coaches.

I'm happy for both Coaches H. They are moving upwards in their careers.

I am worried for UMaine, both in the short term (Maine won a LOT of close games against some mediocre teams, and I know everyone comes back but I don't see the guarantee of the quarterfinals or anything next year) and the long term (without further investment, this program won't be able to compete at all, like the basketball team).

I'm more loyal to the school, program and players than I am to coaches that leave. I get it....everyone wants to advance and earn more $$$. But doesn't mean that I have to kiss their ring. Good luck to them but they are dead to me now. xpeacex

Derby City Duke
December 21st, 2018, 10:59 AM
I'm more loyal to the school, program and players than I am to coaches that leave. I get it....everyone wants to advance and earn more $$$. But doesn't mean that I have to kiss their ring. Good luck to them but they are dead to me now. xpeacex

And to think you were unhappy that I wasn't rooting for Maine in the playoffs...:)

Is the new JMU staff perfect? No. Don't even know at this point how good it will be come September.

I hope Maine can find the $$ to make a CAA-competitive hire.

Iridebikes
December 21st, 2018, 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear about this for Maine football and FCS. This young coach has done a really nice job in bringing the program along and things looked good for a while. Appears that Maine fan base and administration need to get some financial matters resolved for the long term.

Somewhat concerned for coach Harasymiak. Can someone provide some information? Has anyone benefited professionally by being associated with Minnesota football? Glen Mason maybe? others?

KPSUL
December 21st, 2018, 02:07 PM
Evil Empire? Harrisonburg isn't Fargo or Tuscaloosa.... or the Bronx in baseball.

The one in the Bronx has imploded like the Death Star !

KPSUL
December 21st, 2018, 02:21 PM
Hard to call it a semifinal as it was an honorary practice for NDSUs oerfect season run.

I will say it was a good playoff run for UNH that year, beating the CAA champs Maine to make the playoffs, shellacking Fordham, beating the crap out of Maine again up in Orono, and then winning down in Louisiana before the massacre in Fargo.

The Wildcats shellacked Lafayette in 2013 - the playoff game the Patriot League guys believe has never ended. The Fordham shellacking occurred the following year.

BisonFan02
December 21st, 2018, 02:27 PM
The Wildcats shellacked Lafayette in 2013 - the playoff game the Patriot League guys believe has never ended. The Fordham shellacking occurred the following year.

Fun fact: The Pards are still the only Patriot league team to score on NDSU.

Srdnaty
December 21st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Charlton. Our best option probably considering all of the momentum we had.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlackBearsFB/status/1076209741699969028

KPSUL
December 21st, 2018, 06:06 PM
Charlton. Our best option probably considering all of the momentum we had.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlackBearsFB/status/1076209741699969028

Was he Offensive Coordinator for the 2018 season?

Srdnaty
December 21st, 2018, 06:07 PM
Was he Offensive Coordinator for the 2018 season?

Yes

KPSUL
December 21st, 2018, 06:09 PM
They did....surprised they remember that one.

I enjoyed the first 6 minutes of the game!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2018, 06:19 PM

PL is still batting .500 against MVFC teams in the playoffs :D

grayghost06
December 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM

Call me crazy, but I'd be disappointed if our new DC made close to what Trott made. He had a ton more experience.

UNHWildcat18
December 24th, 2018, 08:28 AM
https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/21/sports/umaine-sports/charlton-named-umaine-football-coach/

not sure what to really make of this, some guy on the R/FCS reddit page wasn't a fan though

https://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/a8hajw/maine_names_oc_nick_charlton_as_new_head_coach/

maine612
December 25th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Will be an interesting year for sure. I am happy they hired from within to keep the momentum going. Filling out the rest of the staff will be the challenge.

cx500d
December 25th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Will be an interesting year for sure. I am happy they hired from within to keep the momentum going. Filling out the rest of the staff will be the challenge.

Maybe they can get the oc from Thornton academy

maine612
December 26th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Maybe they can get the oc from Thornton academy

Don't rule it out. Trojans are tough.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2019, 07:54 AM
True! I was there Labor Day weekend 2011. AND it was a TD, with missed PAT not two field goals to be sure!! AND it was Carson Wentz first college football game (albeit redshirt frosh on bench, but still counts)...Good luck today!