PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Rising Stars

erkU
April 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Good read.

http://southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11354&cat=exclusives

catamount man
April 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Western Carolina - Senior wide receiver Michael Hines has looked good in the spring so far and should be the top target for quarterbacks Todd Spitzer and Adam Hearns throughout the rest of the spring and the fall. Running back Willie Harper could be one to watch when he gives Mike Malone a breather. He has looked very good in the spring so far, showing he can make the defender miss. Junior kicker Jonathan Parsons has been very good in spring drills and should be one of the better kickers in the league. Senior defensive end Darren Curtis and junior offensive linemena James Singletary are two players to keep an eye on. Singletary has solid upside after moving from tight end for the 2006 season.

Hines has been one of the more consistent spots for WCU the last few years. Man, if our OL can just give Spitzer the time to spot him...........................

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

youwouldno
April 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Interesting. With regard to the Paladins, I'm most interested in seeing Jr FS Twitty, Jr DE Mars, So RB LaFrance, and So OG Haynes step into key roles.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
No mention of Offensive POY Kevin Richardson. I don't think he's entering his name into the draft this year, did I miss something...

BeauFoster
April 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
No mention of Offensive POY Kevin Richardson. I don't think he's entering his name into the draft this year, did I miss something...

No, but Southern Pigskin did! It did appear that this writer knew something about the SoCon, so I am tempted to let this slight slide...but how do you miss a returning Payton candidate??? SP doesn't give a heck of a lot of coverage (or respect) to FCS, so it really doesn't surprise me that the author left out KR.

cirnite
April 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Kevin Richardson was probably omitted because he is an established STAR. The focus of this article are the up and comers.

bobbythekidd
April 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Kevin Richardson was probably omitted because he is an established STAR. The focus of this article are the up and comers.
Look, the new guy can read!xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xlolx

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Remember, this is the same publication that wrote about how scatter-armed Justin Clark of Western Carolina would be one of the top quarterbacks in the Southern Conference last year. I take what they say with a pretty large grain of salt.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Some names I'd throw out there in the young stars category would include:

DE Tony Robertson and DT Anthony Williams, and WR Coco Hillary of Appalachian State (Hillary, who lost out to Armanti Edwards for the QB job last season, is a redshirt freshman, who had a tremendous spring). Jacque Roman was expected to have a breakout year at LB last season as a redshirt freshman, but had a bit of a disappointing year, not cracking the starting lineup until the end of the year. Roman should play up to his potential this year.

R.J. Webb, the speedy WR from Furman should finally live up to his potential. Lineman Joel Bell was mentioned in this article and as a junior, he should come into his own, too.

I also like Brandon Jackson, the CB from Georgia Southern, a lot. With more stability in the program this year, look for him to have a big year.

Citadel has some good-looking youngsters on defense, particularly in the secondary. I was impressed with them when I saw one of their spring scrimmages, but I don't really know the names.

Chattanooga should be much improved along the lines and in the defensive secondary. I had to laugh at calling UTC QB Antonio Miller an emerging star. He will be lucky to hang on to his starting job. He has been a tremendous disappointement in the past two years. The Mocs do have a wealth of good RBs you have never heard of.

Most of the names listed in the article were senior-oriented players, which was disappointing, considering the context of the story. There was also a heavy fixation with offensive linemen.

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I would like to also add de gary tharrington to the mix... he is a star in the making as well

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Tharrington was an All-Southern Conference performer as a redshirt freshman. To me, he is already somewhat of an established star. Hopefully, nothing will distract him from being even better as a sophomore.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Mr. C, you're right on. Furman's biggest potential star is RJ Webb who could, at season's end, be the top pass catcher in the league. He's tall, fast, and is great in space. Local product too, went to high school 15 min from Furman.

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Tharrington was an All-Southern Conference performer as a redshirt freshman. To me, he is already somewhat of an established star. Hopefully, nothing will distract him from being even better as a sophomore.
well in that regard i dont think edwards, acitelli, speer or roman should be mentioned bc they were all big names and starters... do you know what i mean?

Mr. C
April 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
well in that regard i dont think edwards, acitelli, speer or roman should be mentioned bc they were all big names and starters... do you know what i mean?
Like I said about Roman, he had a lot of preseason publicity, but didn't even start until the end of the season. He hasn't established himself as a star, yet. Edwards and Acitelli were all-conference as true freshmen. Speer shouldn't even be on the list. He is a good, solid player, but he might not even be a starter this season. He is getting pushed by others.

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Like I said about Roman, he had a lot of preseason publicity, but didn't even start until the end of the season. He hasn't established himself as a star, yet. Edwards and Acitelli were all-conference as true freshmen. Speer shouldn't even be on the list. He is a good, solid player, but he might not even be a starter this season. He is getting pushed by others.
ok so speer you are not to high on and roman isnt as good as people thought he would be (yet) who would your starting linebacking core be?

catamount man
April 8th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Remember, this is the same publication that wrote about how scatter-armed Justin Clark of Western Carolina would be one of the top quarterbacks in the Southern Conference last year. I take what they say with a pretty large grain of salt.

Don't mention the fact that he suffered a career ending injury BEFORE the season and didn't play a single down there mr.sports reporter. Sheesh!

GO CATS!!!

proasu89
April 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mr. C, you're right on. Furman's biggest potential star is RJ Webb who could, at season's end, be the top pass catcher in the league. He's tall, fast, and is great in space. Local product too, went to high school 15 min from Furman.

I hope Grey and Sorrells can throw it long, real long:D

Erku, great namexthumbsupx

fuEMO
April 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I thought the Spring game was very interesting for the Paladins. Most of Furman's future stars will still be considered backups in 07.

Sorrells might/could/should be the starter in 07. I think it will be interesting to see future battles between Edwards and Sorrells.

Gipson is the leading man at tailback. LaFrance and Standridge are talented and these three alone make up a solid deep running force but Mike Brown could be the best of the bunch. Brown displayed grit and speed in the spring game. I'll go out on a limb and say he runs the best of the bunch inside and outside. My bet is Brown will start in 08.

Webb and Mims sat out the spring game. Sprague looked solid. Newcomers Williams and Atchley played well too. Finally Furman has size, speed and clutch catching.

The offensive line is still a work in progress. Goolsby and Shuford are the vets but the young bucks are pretty darn impressive. Cockburn/Bell/Slaughter/Haynes/Chancellor have a bright future. I think the big question is Menocal. If he comes back in the fall, Coach McCall will have lots of options to work with.

I have to agree with Southern Pigskin about Artis but not for the same reason. Our DEs have under-performed for years. Now under the intense coaching of Pinella, I think Artis will have the kick in the ass he's needed all along. Artis is head and shoulders physically over just about anyone in the SoCon, now lets see if he lives up to it. But I think the rising star on the line will be Gaines Burdette. Moved from end to tackle. The undersized Burdette is strong and fast. He was a disruption the entire spring game, and he played every defensive down.

Which Twitty will be another rising star; Hunter at linebacker or Thomas at safety? I think they both will hold their own. Great instincts with physical abilities make for great players and they have both. I think Lerner will get more and more PT and come late season could share PT with Thacker. Lerner has great instincts but brings something I have not seen at Furman since John Ketih, real closing speed.

Mr. C
April 8th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Don't mention the fact that he suffered a career ending injury BEFORE the season and didn't play a single down there mr.sports reporter. Sheesh!

GO CATS!!!
Clark was the MAJOR reason that WCU missed the playoffs the previous year (not just my opinion, but also the opinion of folks who regularly cover WCU, the Catamount radio broadcasters and many others at WCU and coaches around the league). He didn't have the arm strength, or mobility to be an effective QB in WCU's offense. Sorry if you don't like the truth, but Clark just wasn't a very good QB, even when he was healthy and most of the league shared my view on that subject.

Mr. C
April 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
ok so speer you are not to high on and roman isnt as good as people thought he would be (yet) who would your starting linebacking core be?
I don't dislike Speer at all. He has contributed a lot to ASU since he has been there. I just understand that other players have passed him by on the Mountaineers' roster. Roman's speed made him a more effective performer in the playoffs than Speer and Speer is looking at a reserve role this year, based on spring ball. Pierre Banks could be an All-American this year, if he continues to improve and ASU continues its success. Roman is one of the most physically skilled LBs ASU has had in some time. He just needs to continue to get better at executing his assignments and becoming more of a student of the game. Monte Smith will be tremendously hard to replace, but the coaching staff has a lot of hope that one of the freshmen will step in and start his first year. ASU is VERY deep at LB, both in terms of experience and young talent.

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I forgot about Pierre he is only a junior next year, right?

BULLDOG8180
April 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Two more Offensive Stars for The Citadel will be WR Andre Roberts rising SO, and TE Alex Sellars RSF. Roberts will be one of the premier wideouts in the conference, and Sellars may beat out 2nd team ALL-CON Cornett by fall.

On defense DT Reese SO will be a force.

Black Saturday
April 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't dislike Speer at all. He has contributed a lot to ASU since he has been there. I just understand that other players have passed him by on the Mountaineers' roster. Roman's speed made him a more effective performer in the playoffs than Speer and Speer is looking at a reserve role this year, based on spring ball. Pierre Banks could be an All-American this year, if he continues to improve and ASU continues its success. Roman is one of the most physically skilled LBs ASU has had in some time. He just needs to continue to get better at executing his assignments and becoming more of a student of the game. Monte Smith will be tremendously hard to replace, but the coaching staff has a lot of hope that one of the freshmen will step in and start his first year. ASU is VERY deep at LB, both in terms of experience and young talent.

Pierre Banks has been impressive since day one. The finest example his freshman year in 2005 I remember was on a goal line stand against Furman in the playoffs. He was in on three stops to keep FU out of the end zone. Not flashy, just very effective.

I watched a replay of the UMass game this weekend and you are exactly right about Monte Smith being hard to replace. He was making big plays including a drive ending interception to more than likely keep UMass from scoring in the second quarter.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Pierre Banks has been impressive since day one. The finest example his freshman year in 2005 I remember was on a goal line stand against Furman in the playoffs. He was in on three stops to keep FU out of the end zone. Not flashy, just very effective.
I watched a replay of the UMass game this weekend and you are exactly right about Monte Smith being hard to replace. He was making big plays including a drive ending interception to more than likely keep UMass from scoring in the second quarter.

You guys need to make sure that patch of ice playing outside linebacker gets some press. He saved your season xsmiley_wix

atlGAmocs
April 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM
First thing is Erroll Wynn is a rising Sophomore, so SoCon opponents will see him for three more years not two. I think he will the Mocs most dynamic offensive player. He needs to carry the load as UTC is a bit light on depth in the backfield. He will be backed up by one of two JUCO RB.

citdog
April 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM
First thing is Erroll Wynn is a rising Sophomore, so SoCon opponents will see him for three more years not two. I think he will the Mocs most dynamic offensive player. He needs to carry the load as UTC is a bit light on depth in the backfield. He will be backed up by one of two JUCO RB.

Again UTC brings in a bunch of kids from JUCO's who can't spell UTC and merc's from BCS schools and wonders why they suck!

CharlestonAppFan
April 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
You guys need to make sure that patch of ice playing outside linebacker gets some press. He saved your season xsmiley_wix

He completely melted down last year at the beginning of the season, but showed up again the last three games. I think he's only a redshirt junior this season, but I'll have to check his eligibility again. xthumbsupx

proasu89
April 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
He completely melted down last year at the beginning of the season, but showed up again the last three games. I think he's only a redshirt junior this season, but I'll have to check his eligibility again. xthumbsupx
He will SOLIDIFY himself as one of our all times greats. It's funny how he gets better in December when the temps plummet. xsmiley_wix

DHill
April 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Went to a couple of practices and Erroll Wynn is the truth. With the O-line we have now....he could do some big things this year.... can you say future draft pick!? This is our year to shine.....GO MOCS....the train is finally comming!!

atlGAmocs
April 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Again UTC brings in a bunch of kids from JUCO's who can't spell UTC and merc's from BCS schools and wonders why they suck!

UTC has the same number of BCS transfers as the Citadel, one. We did sign 5 JUCOs, however the Mocs signed 16 high schoolers. This is a good sign that Rodney Allison is determined to build a program that can have sustained sucess rather than one good year here or there.

Also how on earth is a Citadel grad going to talk about bad football programs. UTC enjoys a 24-13-2 record against the Bulldogs. I guess we don't suck too bad.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I will say that Allison has made some progress in terms of the players he's bringing in. But why did he ever bring in the low-character types to begin with?

Black Saturday
April 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Patch is our secret weapon at The Rock in December.

He helped "level the playing field" since Richie Williams got hurt.

If you happen to return to Boone for a December game be sure you tell coach Lamb to run his plays away from Patch.xsmiley_wix

The Moody1
April 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Patch was out on that play, it was your quarterback's two left feet that did you in.:D

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I would love to see another December showdown between app and furman but lets have it down in chatty this time!!!!!

atlGAmocs
April 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I will say that Allison has made some progress in terms of the players he's bringing in. But why did he ever bring in the low-character types to begin with?

I am not sure the exact reason. I think as a first time HC he feels the pressure to win now. He probably thought that these kids would realize that this was there last chance and would fly right. I think the most recent signing class reflects an emphasis not only on quality character kids but on bringing in better student-athletes. I think UTC has had a few too many kids lost to grades during Rodney's tenure.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I am not sure the exact reason. I think as a first time HC he feels the pressure to win now. He probably thought that these kids would realize that this was there last chance and would fly right. I think the most recent signing class reflects an emphasis not only on quality character kids but on bringing in better student-athletes. I think UTC has had a few too many kids lost to grades during Rodney's tenure.

I think in the long-run, Allison and UTC will find getting better people on the team will also result in more wins. UTC has had athletes but not a good team... that's the key in football. I've speculated elsewhere that UTC and other non-Big 3/4 SoCon programs feel pressure to take risks because the top teams are so entrenched. Wofford is a good example though of winning without having top-of-FCS raw talent.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Patch is our secret weapon at The Rock in December.

He helped "level the playing field" since Richie Williams got hurt.

If you happen to return to Boone for a December game be sure you tell coach Lamb to run his plays away from Patch.xsmiley_wix

Won't be an issue this year. The Apps will be playing a playoff game in Paladin Stadium come December. :)

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM

That has to be it. KR is a known star. The article was players who have not become household names or they are younger players who showed just a little glimpse last year.

Eyes of Old Main
May 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
...and wonders why they suck!

Is it better to suck and know it, or to suck and not know it?

I guess the Bulldogs are more comfortable in that they know they suck, whereas the Mocs aren't sure because they might be better this coming season.