PDA

View Full Version : What was the best game in the FCS playoffs this year?

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I know the championship has not been played yet and I'm not listing all of the games, but was the best one played this year? On the top of my head, the first/second round games seemed more entertaining than the quarterfinals and semifinals:

JMU-Colgate
Wofford-Kennesaw State
ETSU-Jacksonville State
UC Davis-EWU

Any others? I didn't watch the game, but my gut is that EWU and UC Davis was probably the best game.

BisonBacker
December 17th, 2018, 02:46 PM
UCDavis EWU was a fun one to watch. Maybe not so much so for Davis fans.

maine612
December 17th, 2018, 04:26 PM
UCD/EWU is my vote. Crazy ending.

cx500d
December 17th, 2018, 05:47 PM
UCD/EWU, with Colgate/JMU next.

RootinFerDukes
December 17th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Honestly, even by recent standards, this year’s playoffs have been a massive bust across the board. Upsets make it great and they’re just not really happening.

CAA SUCKS MASSACRE YADDA YADDA MVFC4lyfe

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I kind of liked UC Davis vs N Iowa as UC Davis was a novelty to me

AggieFinn
December 17th, 2018, 06:28 PM
UCDavis EWU was a fun one to watch. Maybe not so much so for Davis fans.

Hard to watch the breakdown, but it was a damn good game. Even after the 2 pt. conversion to go up 29-28...I saw 1:13 on the clock and said to the group I was with. "This isn't over."

citdog
December 17th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Woffy @ Kennesaw was MY type of game. The only thing missing was the mud. Damn commie fieldturf...

Iridebikes
December 17th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I'm going with the EWU/UCD game. Great finish. UCD cleaned its game up after the first meeting and it was the type of game that should occur between middle seeds.

kalm
December 18th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Woffy @ Kennesaw was MY type of game. The only thing missing was the mud. Damn commie fieldturf...

They should have painted it red, da?

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2018, 07:45 AM
......DWEEBER STATE/MAINE.........FO’.......BIG BIRD.......BRWAK!

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 08:24 AM
One of my favorite games was still UIW vs MSU. Part of that are for the reasons many didn't like it, or didn't want it. That isn't out of of spite but because it was the type of game that makes the play-offs the play-offs. UIW was the clear underdog and down a key player. Still, they had an explosive offense. They had to go up and play in an entirely different environment against a tough and physical MSU. Both teams weren't predicted to go far in the play-offs in general, yet had the opportunity to prove everyone wrong. That is what the play-offs are all about. In the end, it was a physical fun game and I enjoyed watching a team/match-up I wasn't familiar with play; another reason for the play-offs. Neither team advanced much, but it was still a really good game.

ST_Lawson
December 18th, 2018, 08:27 AM

nyet

kalm
December 18th, 2018, 08:33 AM
One of my favorite games was still UIW vs MSU. Part of that are for the reasons many didn't like it, or didn't want it. That isn't out of of spite but because it was the type of game that makes the play-offs the play-offs. UIW was the clear underdog and down a key player. Still, they had an explosive offense. They had to go up and play in an entirely different environment against a tough and physical MSU. Both teams weren't predicted to go far in the play-offs in general, yet had the opportunity to prove everyone wrong. That is what the play-offs are all about. In the end, it was a physical fun game and I enjoyed watching a team/match-up I wasn't familiar with play; another reason for the play-offs. Neither team advanced much, but it was still a really good game.

Great post. I couldn't agree more, and I enjoyed that game.

Programs that are worlds apart culturally and geographically and may never meet get the opportunity. It's great for the kids to see new places and for the few fans that make the trip. And for those teams that are eliminated early it provides not only an extra week of practice, but at least another week or two of attention promoting the program through the local and social media. This can lead to increased tickets sales and donations down the road which leads to better programs.

That's why a 24 team playoff is better for FCS than a 16.

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Great post. I couldn't agree more, and I enjoyed that game.

Programs that are worlds apart culturally and geographically and may never meet get the opportunity. It's great for the kids to see new places and for the few fans that make the trip. And for those teams that are eliminated early it provides not only an extra week of practice, but at least another week or two of attention promoting the program through the local and social media. This can lead to increased tickets sales and donations down the road which leads to better programs.

That's why a 24 team playoff is better for FCS than a 16.

+1

Professor
December 18th, 2018, 09:43 AM
UC Davis-EWU was the best so far. These are the type of games needed to bring excitement to FCS

walliver
December 18th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Isn't your alma mater ripping up grass and putting down a god-forsaken plastic field? I guess they want to be more like Furman.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2018, 10:51 AM

I was at that game and am a homer, but I liked that game too. It didn't hit me that someone's season was going to end and that team was a good one until like 5 minutes left in the game.

Delete your account

Catbooster
December 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM

This one for me too. A big part of my vote is also because I was there. It's nice to watch a game on tv. You don't miss what the ref called, you get more replays, etc. But you can't match the fun and excitement of being there - plus tailgates. Playoff crowds are generally smaller, but they seem to be much more involved in the game.

AggieFinn
December 18th, 2018, 11:11 AM
The Aggie/Panther game in Davis was very intense. Decent crowd, but you could feel the high level of fan involvement.

POD Knows
December 18th, 2018, 11:12 AM
SDSU/NDSU just because

Gil Dobie
December 18th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Colgate/JMU