PDA

View Full Version : App in MAC??

Mich Griz
April 7th, 2007, 05:46 AM
As I recall App St was in the MAC back in the 70's. Were they a travel partner with Marshall? Did they drop out of the MAC because of the Marshall tragedy or because the MAC was moving up to D 1A. Why didn't they stay in the MAC

AppMan
April 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM
As I recall App St was in the MAC back in the 70's. Were they a travel partner with Marshall? Did they drop out of the MAC because of the Marshall tragedy or because the MAC was moving up to D 1A. Why didn't they stay in the MAC

ASU was never in the MAC. We moved from the D-II Carolinas Conference to the Southern Conference in 1971.

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
good call but not quite... I am glad we were never a part of that and geographically we arent very close to most of the schools in that conference even marshall is a long way away

GeauxColonels
April 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Wasn't Marshall in the Southern Conference?

gvilleapp
April 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Wasn't Marshall in the Southern Conference?
Marshall was in the SoCon from about '76 thru about '95? I remember they were horrible when they came in and didn't win a conference game until we lost to them in about 1980.

I loved the Marshall rivalry and hope we end up in the same conference with them and ECU one day.

PSUVikings
April 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
App could compete in the MAC

Fresno St. Alum
April 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
When I started watching I-AA football in the late 80's it seemed like Marshall, Youngstown St., or Ga. Southern were playing for the championship every year.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Marshall was in the SoCon from about '76 thru about '95? I remember they were horrible when they came in and didn't win a conference game until we lost to them in about 1980.

I loved the Marshall rivalry and hope we end up in the same conference with them and ECU one day.
Marshall was in the Southern Conference from 1976-1997, in between TWO stints in the MAC. Marshall was placed on probation in the 1970s and was actually KICKED OUT of the MAC. That's how the Herd ended up in the SoCon. Marshall was 0-21-1 from 1977 through 1980 (a tie against Western Carolina in 1980) before beating Appalachian State 17-10 on Nov. 7, 1981 at Conrad Stadium. The Herd had lost 24 of 25 conference games before finally winning at ASU.

And on the original thought of the thread, no chance that Appalachian State goes into the MAC. The closest schools in that league are eight or nine hours away. It would be a nightmare in terms of travel. Marshall is located just across the border of the Ohio river from Ohio, so it had much closer travel. Marshall's travel actually was closer for most of its games in the MAC than the SoCon.

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
When I started watching I-AA football in the late 80's it seemed like Marshall, Youngstown St., or Ga. Southern were playing for the championship every year.
Marshall ascended beginning in 1987, making the playoffs for the first time and advancing all the way to the championship game before losing 43-42 to Northeast Louisiana (hard to believe Louisiana-Monroe, as the school is called now, could have won anything).

Appalachian State made the playoffs under Sparky Woods in 1986 and won the SoCon and had the No. 1 seed in the playoffs in 1987, advancing to the semifinals with a 19-0 win over two-time national champion Georgia Southern before losing 24-10 to Marshall.

Cap'n Cat
April 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Better case for FBS than Youngstown. Still, happy travels going for the Giant Eagle Grocery Bowl.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Marshall ascended beginning in 1987, making the playoffs for the first time and advancing all the way to the championship game before losing 43-42 to Northeast Louisiana (hard to believe Louisiana-Monroe, as the school is called now, could have won anything).

Appalachian State made the playoffs under Sparky Woods in 1986 and won the SoCon and had the No. 1 seed in the playoffs in 1987, advancing to the semifinals with a 19-0 win over two-time national champion Georgia Southern before losing 24-10 to Marshall.
sounds like quite a year for the socon or future socon bc i dont think gsu was in it back then but still pretty impressive

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM

It would be fun to start our own conference with those two schools and gsu and fu and maybe jmu or something and be in fbs as our own conference... and maybe a couple of others... i think it could work

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Georgia Southern was an independent in football, until joining forces with the SoCon in time for the 1993 season (also the same year Mr. C arrived from California).

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Georgia Southern was an independent in football, until joining forces with the SoCon in time for the 1993 season (also the same year Mr. C arrived from California).
I thought they joined a little later but i wasnt sure...

So you have never been here without gsu in the conference...

Mr. C
April 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I thought they joined a little later but i wasnt sure...

So you have never been here without gsu in the conference...
Nope.

Mich Griz
April 8th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know where I got that idea then. I just remember during the early 70 Western Michigan and Central playing App St fairly regularly. Back then Eastern, Western and Central MI were high level div 2 programs. In fact Central won Div 2 in 75-76?. Within a few years the MAC was div 1a. I thought App St was a MAC member just because they played up here often. MY Bad

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Its all good... I for one love learning things like that cuz MAC or no MAC i had no idea we played teams like that back then... lets just say that was well before i was born

blukeys
April 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I don't know where I got that idea then. I just remember during the early 70 Western Michigan and Central playing App St fairly regularly. Back then Eastern, Western and Central MI were high level div 2 programs. In fact Central won Div 2 in 75-76?. Within a few years the MAC was div 1a. I thought App St was a MAC member just because they played up here often. MY Bad

Central Mich won the d-2 title in 1974 and moved up to D-1 in 1975. There was no D-IA nor D-I AA until 1978.

April 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I saw App in BK too!

hapapp
April 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I don't think we have ever played the directional Michigan schools. The only MAC school I remember playing was Ball State.

Libertine
April 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM
*App played Ball State twice in the mid-70's. Aside from Marshall, App has never played any other current or former MAC members. *

* courtesy of CFBDataWarehouse.com

Mr. C
April 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
The ASU media guide list the Mountaineers as being 0-2 against the MAC (Ball State as was mentioned above). Appalachian State is 0-1 against the Mountain West (Wyoming), 0-1 against the Big 12 (Kansas), 0-2 against the WAC (Boise State when they were I-AA, Hawaii) 1-9 against the SEC, 2-4 against current Sun Belt teams (Troy State 1-2, Middle Tennessee State 1-2), 33-19 against current CUSA teams (0-1 against Southern Mississippi, winning records against Marshall and East Carolina) and 7-26-1 against the ACC (all seven wins against Wake Forest).

Black Saturday
April 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
"Appalachian State made the playoffs under Sparky Woods in 1986 and won the SoCon and had the No. 1 seed in the playoffs in 1987, advancing to the semifinals with a 19-0 win over two-time national champion Georgia Southern before losing 24-10 to Marshall."[/QUOTE]

And what made this hard to stomach was the fact that we had beaten Marshall earlier in Boone. I watched the game in the box as a guest of Chancellor Thomas' son. I was ready to go to Idaho for the championship game. xbawlingx Had to wait nearly 20 long years to actually see APP make it to the Big Game.