PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Potential Lehigh HC?

Pages : [1] 2

ngineer
December 14th, 2018, 11:19 AM
On the various forums and spots a number of names keep getting mentioned and supposedly with some reason due to 'reliable sources'. One name that seems to be getting a lot of interest is Tim Cramsey, who has had a number of positions with various FCS powers over the years, including Montana State and SHSU. He hails from Allentown, PA, just five miles from Goodman Stadium, where he was QB for the PA State Champ Allentown Central Catholic a good many years ago, so there may be family connections that could impact. What I am looking for is for those on this Board who have had experience with or seen his work in the past to provide any insight as to guy's abilities, both as a communicator, recruiter, organizer, and coach.

Sader87
December 14th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Pretty sure Cramsey's name was floated (and he may even have looked into it, but backed out) for the Holy Cross job last year.

Gangtackle11
December 14th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I vote for Tony Trisciani. Former Lehigh assistant, area HS coach, Villanova assistant, and current DC at Elon.

Elon OC Dean Folmar would be 1A. xpeacex

Neighbor2
December 14th, 2018, 12:37 PM
I can’t comment on Cramsey’s performance, but his resume (for this opening) is superior. This is the credential of a coach who can build Lehigh back up to a regular “top 15” FCS level performer despite the Patriot League’s self-imposed detriments to getting there.

My prediction is Lehigh will go with Checcini. Seems loyalty and patience are in great supply on South Mountain. This pick will easily get 7-8 years in position no matter what the won/loss record.

Franks Tanks
December 14th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I have it on good authority that Cramsey was very interested in the Lafayette job two years ago. He was not even invited to interview in person, thanks again Bruce. I think he is much happier with his current position than the one he had 2 years ago, but I think Cramsey will be very interested.

Chick, Trish, Folmar and Cramsey would all be solid hires. I would take any of those guys as well..

wapiti
December 14th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Would Rob Ash be a good fit????

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I have it on good authority that Cramsey was very interested in the Lafayette job two years ago. He was not even invited to interview in person, thanks again Bruce. I think he is much happier with his current position than the one he had 2 years ago, but I think Cramsey will be very interested.

Chick, Trish, Folmar and Cramsey would all be solid hires. I would take any of those guys as well..

I can provide more info on Cramsey when I get home. Cramsey was hired at Montana State when I was still in Bozeman. I got a little insight from Rob Ash because he knew my ties to Eastern PA and Patriot League football. Ash and Tavani were friends dating back to Ash's time at Juniata.

Model Citizen
December 14th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Given that he's never been a head coach...except at schools where he became the all-time wins leader...I think he might be a good fit for just about anyone.

Does he want to coach again?

I wonder if he's interested in returning to Drake.

citdog
December 14th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Kevin Higgins

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2018, 01:55 PM
.........K.C. KEELER........WHIFF PENNSYLVANIA FAMILY........HE'D SELL DUH HORSES.....AN' COME BACK HOME...xcoolx..AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Cramsey took over an offense at Montana State in 2013 that was expected to do big things. The former OC left Bozeman for Utah State. Senior QB Denarius McGhee was the 2012 Big Sky Player of the year and was easily one of the favorites to win the Payton Award. The Bobcats entered the season ranked #2 (NDSU #1) and stumbled along. The offense was solid (32.9) under Cramsey but a bit inconsistent. Denarius McGHee struggled in the new system and fell to an honorable mention Big Sky QB. The Bobcats missed the playoffs and the heat on Ash started to grow a bit.

2014 new QB Dakota Prukop (got 3rd team All-BSC) had a huge year in his first year as the starter and the offense improved by 6 points to 38 ppg. Prukop was effective running and passing. He actually led the Bobcats in rushing. Prukop and the offense improved again in 2015. Prukop garnered 1st team All-American honors and the attention of the Oregon staff. The team overall was like Lehigh in 2017, great offense and terrible defense. When Ash and the staff were let go following the 2015 season Prukop headed to Eugene and Cramsey left for Nevada.

Ash was impressed by Cramsey's offense in 2011 when prepping for the UNH playoff game in 2011. MSU won that game 26-25.

2 pics from Cramsey's first game as Montana State's OC. Interestingly it was against Monmouth. South Mountain is nice, but this view was next level...
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1157553_629647563734345_1833878611_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1 10&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=f98250ae061e2dd6fae3eec8d28c9b89&oe=5C9CB5E6

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48384124_2267545143277904_8724815183777628160_n.jp g?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=38ac2b21e9581109f7d203b5e0eac2de&oe=5C9402C7

One other Cramsey memory. I was at Lackawanna County Stadium in 1993 the day his ACC team took down might Berwick in the Eastern Finals. Clips of that game were shown as part of ABC's Nightline 2 part special on Berwick football called "Dawg Days; A Town, A Team". I can promise you, they did not expect Berwick to lose that year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Please no! Great guy to play a round of golf with but not the most passionate coach I've ever met.

Bill
December 14th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Only half joking, but I would LOVE Dave Steckel....

I don't think there is any way Joe would hire him though.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Pretty sure Cramsey's name was floated (and he may even have looked into it, but backed out) for the Holy Cross job last year.

Cramsey was a finalist at CCSU 5 years ago, but the job went to Rossomando. I would take Cramsey if we had to do it again.

Franks Tanks
December 14th, 2018, 09:41 PM
JMU hired Curt Cignetti today. Folmar and Trich will probably a good look from Elon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I find it interesting that Lehigh and Elon are once again connected in the coaching go-around. I wonder how long Sterrett can wait on Trisciani and Folmar if both are indeed serious candidates. I have to believe JMU pays their assistants quite well.

RichH2
December 15th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Joe doesnt have a big window now to wait on this merry go round. Both could just go to JMU. Agree money is probably better. They certainly do sit with great options.

ngineer
December 15th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I agree that a the window of opportunity could be small considering the moving furniture going on. My sense at present would be Cramsey, Trisciani, Cecchini, Folmar. I know LFN has been talking Golden, but I just don't see how that works monetarily. Also, Defense has to be a focus. So, whoever, becomes a target needs to explain how they approach that chestnut that is the key for a turnaround.

carney2
December 15th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I propose that the Stained Undies hire John Garrett, brother of Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett. He has name recognition which would be good for recruiting. Unfortunately, he has done absolutely nothing in football for two years and may be a bit rusty.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I agree that a the window of opportunity could be small considering the moving furniture going on. My sense at present would be Cramsey, Trisciani, Cecchini, Folmar. I know LFN has been talking Golden, but I just don't see how that works monetarily. Also, Defense has to be a focus. So, whoever, becomes a target needs to explain how they approach that chestnut that is the key for a turnaround.

Golden has made plenty of money for he and his family. I don't think money would be an issue. He was a LB coach at Boston College and Penn State and the DC at Virginia. He's definitely a defensive first guy. Golden earned his Master's in Sports Psychology while at UVA. He's a smart guy that knows the importance of true student-athletes. His value system and ethics would jive at Lehigh.

It sounds like Cignetti is going try and retain his staff. Signing day is Wednesday. Need to get something in place imo. Hopefully Sterrett is closing in..

ngineer
December 15th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Golden has made plenty of money for he and his family. I don't think money would be an issue. He was a LB coach at Boston College and Penn State and the DC at Virginia. He's definitely a defensive first guy. Golden earned his Master's in Sports Psychology while at UVA. He's a smart guy that knows the importance of true student-athletes. His value system and ethics would jive at Lehigh.

It sounds like Cignetti is going try and retain his staff. Signing day is Wednesday. Need to get something in place imo. Hopefully Sterrett is closing in..

Maybe he got a nice buyout from Miami? Would certainly be a drastic chance of scenery and culture. We can always dream.

ngineer
December 15th, 2018, 09:08 PM
On another thread, a Pard mentioned that Bob Heffner, current OL coach at Northwestern might have an opportunity to move up to possible OC due to a vacancy. Makes one wonder if he doesn't get a promo that he'd be interested in Lehigh. Seemed like a very solid coach with the 'pards several years ago and certainly familiar with PL, plus having to recruit with academic demands. Just another random thought.

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2018, 09:35 PM
On another thread, a Pard mentioned that Bob Heffner, current OL coach at Northwestern might have an opportunity to move up to possible OC due to a vacancy. Makes one wonder if he doesn't get a promo that he'd be interested in Lehigh. Seemed like a very solid coach with the 'pards several years ago and certainly familiar with PL, plus having to recruit with academic demands. Just another random thought.

I highly doubt Bob will leave Northwestern. He makes really good money, and coach Fitz loves him. However, I’m sure he would listen if someone is offering a head job, but I think that ship has sailed for him. Bob is 63ish and is probably thinking more about retirement than getting a head job.

citdog
December 15th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Bob is 63ish and is probably thinking more about retirement than getting a head job.

I'd want both...

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I highly doubt Bob will leave Northwestern. He makes really good money, and coach Fitz loves him. However, I’m sure he would listen if someone is offering a head job, but I think that ship has sailed for him. Bob is 63ish and is probably thinking more about retirement than getting a head job.

I was that poster and think Bob would be a great PL HC. Was campaigning for him two years ago to take Lafayette slot. He's a recruiting beast too! UGH would hate to see him take Lehigh post. Recall it was Bob in that epic The Hurt game in 2005 that during a TO convinced Tavani to go for the end zone rather than attempt a 50+ FG...Great call!

ngineer
December 16th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I was that poster and think Bob would be a great PL HC. Was campaigning for him two years ago to take Lafayette slot. He's a recruiting beast too! UGH would hate to see him take Lehigh post. Recall it was Bob in that epic The Hurt game in 2005 that during a TO convinced Tavani to go for the end zone rather than attempt a 50+ FG...Great call!
I remember all too well, and one of the reasons I had a lot of respect for him in getting the Frankasaurus to change his mind. Lembo's bon voyage.

Southsider
December 16th, 2018, 05:21 PM
[/B][/U]I remember all too well, and one of the reasons I had a lot of respect for him in getting the Frankasaurus to change his mind. Lembo's bon voyage.

I don’t miss Lembo at all. Someone said earlier the next hire will really show where LU is at as to seriousness of FB. Boy, I hope they are. I believe a solid LU program is good for the PL. But, they too need to get their collective heads out of their asses and get on board with a few things. You can stick to your values and still compete. A lot of us here do it every day!

RichH2
December 16th, 2018, 06:50 PM
I don’t miss Lembo at all. Someone said earlier the next hire will really show where LU is at as to seriousness of FB. Boy, I hope they are. I believe a solid LU program is good for the PL. But, they too need to get their collective heads out of their asses and get on board with a few things. You can stick to your values and still compete. A lot of us here do it every day!

Pretty much agree. You must know that most of the serious restrictions on LU football are the PL rules. Sterrett will always support our program. He will hire the best HC available to us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Check Trisciani off the list.

Folmar should still be in play because he's not headed to JMU nor is he likely to remain at Elon imo...

Pards Rule
December 17th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Any timeline for this? Lafayette, knowing it was Tavani's final year, announced John Garrett on Dec. 20, 2016. Is there a benefit to announcing before Xmas as players, families get caught up in whirlwind of holidays and sometimes travel over the Xmas holiday.

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Folmar should still be in play because he's not headed to JMU nor is he likely to remain at Elon imo...
Elon announcing their new HC today. ( Wish Joe could move thus fast. Oh well)
Ths cascade of dominoes may get some clarity depending on Elon selection.

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 09:39 AM
LU list shorter but not much clearer. Folmar. Not going along? Not asked or said no? Drew going to JMU would make sense for Trisciani. If true that he isnt going to JMU, I think he seeks a HC or possibly has already been offered one. The carousel keeps spinning. :)

crusader11
December 17th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Here's one name that I'll throw out that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Chris Pincince.

Currently the head coach at New Haven where he has had a good deal of success. He was the OC at Elon prior to New Haven, and also coached at HC where he -- along with Dom Randolph -- transformed the HC offense into one of the best in the nation.

I think guys like Cramsey and Golden would be grand slams, but not sure how realistic it would be to get them. I have to believe Pincince would jump at this job.

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Here's one name that I'll throw out that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Chris Pincince.

Currently the head coach at New Haven where he has had a good deal of success. He was the OC at Elon prior to New Haven, and also coached at HC where he -- along with Dom Randolph -- transformed the HC offense into one of the best in the nation.

I think guys like Cramsey and Golden would be grand slams, but not sure how realistic it would be to get them. I have to believe Pincince would jump at this job.

Good option. Never thought of him. Wonder if he applied

Franks Tanks
December 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Wonder if Lehigh is looking at Justin Lustig.

Bucknell grad.

Spent time as an FBS assistant at Louisiana and with Lembo at Ball State. Was a finalist at Bucknell years ago when Susan was hired. Became HC at D2 Edinboro and took then from 1-9 to 8-2 in one year. Left there after one year to join Dino Babers at Syracuse. He is a great coach and recruiter. Actually don’t let Joe know about this guy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Cross Folmar off the list?!?

From our Elon friends...
"From the news conference, at this time about 5 coaches (3 offense, 1 defense and the strength coach) have stayed including OC Folmar. Let's hope Lehigh doesn't grab him as HC. I like hiring from within. And if we can keep Folmar, we shouldn't miss a beat.

Read more: http://elonphans.proboards.com/thread/4012/new-coach#ixzz5ZyTyr6Ba"

aceinthehole
December 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Pincince has done an excellent job taking over for Rossomando at New Haven when he left for CCSU. He was also a coordinator at URI to mixed reviews. He's a Rhode Island native and I think he played his college ball at Boston University.

Interesting thought for Lehigh opening - he's certainly qualified for a FCS job like this, but not sure how deep his recruiting connections are and how that might play out for a Patriot League team in Bethlehem, PA. I certainly would see him interested in a more local opening like Bryant.

His brother is the SID at Central Connecticut.

van
December 17th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Cross Folmar off the list?!?

From our Elon friends...
"From the news conference, at this time about 5 coaches (3 offense, 1 defense and the strength coach) have stayed including OC Folmar. Let's hope Lehigh doesn't grab him as HC. I like hiring from within. And if we can keep Folmar, we shouldn't miss a beat.

Read more: http://elonphans.proboards.com/thread/4012/new-coach#ixzz5ZyTyr6Ba"

not unless this fan is his agent xsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 04:57 PM
not unless this fan is his agent xsmiley_wix

Folmar's Twitter

"Fired up for Coach Trish! He's a great coach and a great person. I can't wait to get to work!"

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Folmar's Twitter

"Fired up for Coach Trish! He's a great coach and a great person. I can't wait to get to work!"

And the list gets shorter.

PAllen
December 17th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Come on Dave, just sign the paper already.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Come on Dave, just sign the paper already.

I agree. I feel like the "search" is going to come back to the name people have been thinking of literally for years. Not sure if Dave is the "best" candidate so much as he's the obvious one at this point.

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 08:12 PM
I agree. I feel like the "search" is going to come back to the name people have been thinking of literally for years. Not sure if Dave is the "best" candidate so much as he's the obvious one at this point.

Kind of agree. History does paint that scenario compellingly. The funny thing is we dont even know if he is even interested now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Kind of agree. History does paint that scenario compellingly. The funny thing is we dont even know if he is even interested now.

I feel like the more time goes on and the closer we get to signing day, or even pass it, the answer becomes easier.

How about Mike Kashurba? He's already on the staff. Before being dragged down by the inept Lehigh defense, Kashurba had a good reputation. He's a PL guy through and through. He seems like an overlooked "simple" hire perhaps

crusader11
December 17th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I liked Kashurba as the DC at HC, but think Lehigh can do better than him.

If we are beginning to throw out names now, has Joel Lamb (Harvard OC) been considered?

van
December 17th, 2018, 08:53 PM
I liked Kashurba as the DC at HC, but think Lehigh can do better than him.

If we are beginning to throw out names now, has Joel Lamb (Harvard OC) been considered?

ah yeah, I think crusader11 has considered him, since we don't know who the AD is considering, we are filling in the blanks here

ngineer
December 17th, 2018, 09:20 PM

Folmar reported quoted as saying he'd love to work with Trisciani. We shall see. I'd prefer Cramsey to Folmar.

RichH2
December 17th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Is it just me or is this coach carousel spinning faster and faster now. :)

Bill
December 17th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Is it just me or is this coach carousel spinning faster and faster now. :)

It is. And I'm worried that some of the "right" candidates are falling off :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 17th, 2018, 10:51 PM
It is. And I'm worried that some of the "right" candidates are falling off :)

I find it fascinating how Lehigh and Elon have been intertwined the last 10-15 years. Strange connections. Ironically, the head PGA Pro at my club is an Elon grad.

Marshall's bowl game is Thursday so if Cramsey is a viable candidate perhaps the wheels will get turning there. I was at the Bills-Lions game yesterday in Orchard Park. I should have solicited Golden!!

fc97
December 18th, 2018, 04:24 AM
I find it fascinating how Lehigh and Elon have been intertwined the last 10-15 years. Strange connections. Ironically, the head PGA Pro at my club is an Elon grad.

Marshall's bowl game is Thursday so if Cramsey is a viable candidate perhaps the wheels will get turning there. I was at the Bills-Lions game yesterday in Orchard Park. I should have solicited Golden!!

I know, wish we'd get a series going

Neighbor2
December 18th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Considering how fast coaching vacancies are being filled across the nation, even on the FCS level, the length of Lehigh’s search is concerning.

Perhaps those who have been working without various Patriot League self-imposed limitations want no part of trying to deal with it all in their quest for national reputation. Or, perhaps, the money available at Lehigh for salaries is too meager.

I’ve always believed Chechini was promised the job years ago and will ultimately be announced as next coach. The slow-walking going on now brings about conditions that make his selection more palatable to all concerned.

Either way, I’m pleased a new look is ahead for Lehigh football. Anxious to see how it plays out.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Considering how fast coaching vacancies are being filled across the nation, even on the FCS level, the length of Lehigh’s search is concerning.

Perhaps those who have been working without various Patriot League self-imposed limitations want no part of trying to deal with it all in their quest for national reputation. Or, perhaps, the money available at Lehigh for salaries is too meager.

I’ve always believed Chechini was promised the job years ago and will ultimately be announced as next coach. The slow-walking going on now brings about conditions that make his selection more palatable to all concerned.

Either way, I’m pleased a new look is ahead for Lehigh football. Anxious to see how it plays out.

The Patriot League doesn’t pay top FCS salaries, but a head coaching job in this league is still very desirable. You work with good kids and schools with $ to support the program. League schools are typically pretty forgiving with coaches so you’re not getting run out of town in 2-3 years. Also if you do well, many other opportunities will open up (Clawson, Moorhead, Lembo, Higgins) or you can stay for 20 years (Biddle, Tavani).

I agree that the search has been rather long considering Joe was aware of Andy’s condition for some time and was probably putting a wish list together for months.

RichH2
December 18th, 2018, 07:53 AM

According to STATS, there were 21 HC vacancies in FCS . IIR 16 have been filled. A good number of those were inside promotions. When the coach search was announced, other than receiving applications not much else until after the 19th. I have no doubt there have been numerous phone calls and feelers over the last year.
Neighbor does have it right. Regardless of who the new HC is, the players will be hearing new voices next season. Hopefully the right voices.

Doc QB
December 18th, 2018, 09:13 AM

One has to wonder if the slow roll was because a candidate is still coaching (Cramsey) and has not had opportunity to meet with Joe, see the program up close with the level of detail, and make a "wishlist" of things they needs regarding taking the position. For an FBS coordinator to come down to LU, even with a bunch of solid FCS stops in his career, Tim may desire certain coach salary pool dollars, recruiting budget dollars, etc, and may not have had the time to meet the multiple times with Joe and see where the chips fall.

Dave C was reportedly here yesterday. He already had a solid understanding of the above issues having been here at LU. What I fear, is him coming now from Valpo, does he have the bargaining power to get some upgrades to those above issues that an upper level coach could leverage better?

The process taking longer is hopefully a sign that Joe, despite having time to plan and think of candidates, is taking his time and being thorough and thoughtful. Its a pretty big deal. Many fans will clamor for getting a staff in to maintain a class, but most often, those kids caught in transition are not the best class, and given the first few years of a new regime are often tough, they become an afterthought anyway. I think it is more important to plan on the next five years and not to hurry because 12 kids LOI are in potential limbo with the early signing period. The Feb date at the FCS is still important signing-wise and plenty of time for those kids to meet the new coach and maintain a verbal commitment and quality kids can still be signed. with the right new guy, maybe we nab a few we wouldn't have gotten with Andy. Time will tell.

carney2
December 18th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Any timeline for this? Lafayette, knowing it was Tavani's final year, announced John Garrett on Dec. 20, 2016.

Really? In what universe did anyone "know" that 2016 was "Tavani's final year?" I will contend until I draw my final breath that if Frank had not gone ballistic with his "They owe me money" childish tantrum after no. 152 he'd be pacing the sidelines and we'd be going off tackle right, off tackle left, incomplete pass, punt still today.

RichH2
December 18th, 2018, 10:54 AM
One has to wonder if the slow roll was because a candidate is still coaching (Cramsey) and has not had opportunity to meet with Joe, see the program up close with the level of detail, and make a "wishlist" of things they needs regarding taking the position. For an FBS coordinator to come down to LU, even with a bunch of solid FCS stops in his career, Tim may desire certain coach salary pool dollars, recruiting budget dollars, etc, and may not have had the time to meet the multiple times with Joe and see where the chips fall.

Dave C was reportedly here yesterday. He already had a solid understanding of the above issues having been here at LU. What I fear, is him coming now from Valpo, does he have the bargaining power to get some upgrades to those above issues that an upper level coach could leverage better?

The process taking longer is hopefully a sign that Joe, despite having time to plan and think of candidates, is taking his time and being thorough and thoughtful. Its a pretty big deal. Many fans will clamor for getting a staff in to maintain a class, but most often, those kids caught in transition are not the best class, and given the first few years of a new regime are often tough, they become an afterthought anyway. I think it is more important to plan on the next five years and not to hurry because 12 kids LOI are in potential limbo with the early signing period. The Feb date at the FCS is still important signing-wise and plenty of time for those kids to meet the new coach and maintain a verbal commitment and quality kids can still be signed. with the right new guy, maybe we nab a few we wouldn't have gotten with Andy. Time will tell.

+1. Sums up current scenario perfectly. Can say that Dave didn't come to campus just for a chat. :)

ngineer
December 18th, 2018, 01:19 PM
If Cramsey is indeed a candidate then this 'slow roll' is understood. With a number of teams still playing when Andy's resignation was announced, there were certain limitations to what kind of contact could happen. I would expect at least 20+applications that had to be screened, then a list of those who Joe and co. would want to talk to. Schedules coordinated with visits. Possible "needs" that the candidate would want as part of his package have to be discussed and weighed. If someone's ask is a bit beyond LU's budget ability, is time spent exploring whether the candidate is worth 'bending some self-imposed limits'? All of this takes time. Joe could have had his list last summer, but he can only do so much when the season is in progress and candidates on the list are under contract with other schools.
Patience...or in Doc's world, patients..xsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 03:07 PM
My main question with Cecchini has always been why did he leave for Valpo? For a guy that was obviously well regarded for his offensive prowess the Crusaders always seemed like an odd landing spot. Was it because they were able to offer his wife the women's tennis HC position? Otherwise I'm really not sure how what he's done in Indiana that translate's to being a high quality HC. I know it's a tough gig but he knew that going in. Everyone knew that. Was his ultimate goal just getting HC experience?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Really? In what universe did anyone "know" that 2016 was "Tavani's final year?" I will contend until I draw my final breath that if Frank had not gone ballistic with his "They owe me money" childish tantrum after no. 152 he'd be pacing the sidelines and we'd be going off tackle right, off tackle left, incomplete pass, punt still today.

Exchange the off tackle left for another incomplete pass and you currently have Frankasaurus 2.0.

Whatever Lehigh does just make sure it doesn't end up like Lafayette's situation. Does Garrett send his staff Christmas cards?! :D

Model Citizen
December 18th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Was his ultimate goal just getting HC experience?

HC experience in the PFL can lead to bigger, better things: Jim Harbaugh, San Diego to Stanford...Ron Caragher, San Diego to San Jose State...Chris Creighton, Drake to Eastern Michigan...Kerwin "the Innocent" Bell, Jacksonville to (current D-II champ) Valdosta State.

Don't think he was waiting around for the Lehigh HC job. He wanted something better.

crusader11
December 18th, 2018, 03:59 PM
He wanted something better.

Or just the opportunity to run his own program.

It's dangerous if an assistant doesn't get elevated to a head coaching job for fear of becoming branded as just a career-long assistant.

Model Citizen
December 18th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Also true. ^

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 04:06 PM
HC experience in the PFL can lead to bigger, better things: Jim Harbaugh, San Diego to Stanford...Ron Caragher, San Diego to San Jose State...Chris Creighton, Drake to Eastern Michigan...Kerwin "the Innocent" Bell, Jacksonville to (current D-II champ) Valdosta State.

Don't think he was waiting around for the Lehigh HC job. He wanted something better.

I hear you but each of those guys followed different paths. Harbaugh is clearly in a class by himself. He went from being the Raiders QB coach to the SD head coach to Stanford. Creighton and Caragher took over successful PFL programs and road them to bottom of the barrel FBS gigs. Cecchini took over a dumpster fire at Valpo and has gone 17-38. It's hard to evaluate him on his HC experience imo. His main selling points are he's a Lehigh guy and the Mountain Hawks were highly successful when he was on the staff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Or just the opportunity to run his own program.

It's dangerous if an assistant doesn't get elevated to a head coaching job for fear of becoming branded as just a career-long assistant.

I agree. But I'm pretty sure Cecchini has been interviewing for HC jobs dating back to the early to mid 2000's. It took until Valpo to come along in 2013 for him to get the opportunity.

I definitely think Cecchini can win here but I do wonder about his ability to assemble a staff. He's relied on a lot of Lehigh guys at Valpo for better or worse. That recipe often fails. A good staff is more often than not a good "melting pot". Can he fix a historically bad defense?

Model Citizen
December 18th, 2018, 04:39 PM
He took a nothing Valpo team to a winning record in 2017. Due to injuries, he had perhaps the worst talent in FCS this year. Not sure I'd read too much into his entire Valparaiso experience.

RichH2
December 18th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I agree. But I'm pretty sure Cecchini has been interviewing for HC jobs dating back to the early to mid 2000's. It took until Valpo to come along in 2013 for him to get the opportunity.

I definitely think Cecchini can win here but I do wonder about his ability to assemble a staff. He's relied on a lot of Lehigh guys at Valpo for better or worse. That recipe often fails. A good staff is more often than not a good "melting pot". Can he fix a historically bad defense?

Legit questions owl for all the candidates not just this one. Whoever is hired has a number of priorities. Top of that list has to be the defense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 04:52 PM
He took a nothing Valpo team to a winning record in 2017. Due to injuries, he had perhaps the worst talent in FCS this year. Not sure I'd read too much into his entire Valparaiso experience.

That's why I don't know how an AD can evaluate Cecchini. He's been there for 1 full recruiting cycle and you suggest he had no depth and no talent. You back up my point that his "experience" at Valpo could be considered irrelevant. Which imo is "unique" for lack of a better word.

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Legit questions owl for all the candidates not just this one. Whoever is hired has a number of priorities. Top of that list has to be the defense.

.....and offense now that Brags & Brad are gone. See ya next September! xpeacex

Model Citizen
December 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM
That's why I don't know how an AD can evaluate Cecchini. He's been there for 1 full recruiting cycle and you suggest he had no depth and no talent. You back up my point that his "experience" at Valpo could be considered irrelevant. Which imo is "unique" for lack of a better word.

I'm actually suggesting he recruited fairly well, elevating their talent somewhat, and coaching up the talent he was able to get. Again, injuries were a problem this year.

Having said all that, the Valpo and Lehigh programs are very different.

RichH2
December 18th, 2018, 05:12 PM

O actually not in bad shape. All depends on a healthy OL. If so O will be fine with Ra'Shaun Allen at RB and the returning WR group. D has athletes but not many good football players or size.

TheValleyRaider
December 18th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Having said all that, the Valpo and Lehigh programs are very different.

Except in color scheme xrotatehx

RichH2
December 18th, 2018, 06:14 PM

Actually O not in bad shape. Allen at RB, healthy OL and a very good WR group. Monaco at QB is a capable replacement for Brad.

PAllen
December 18th, 2018, 06:21 PM
My main question with Cecchini has always been why did he leave for Valpo? For a guy that was obviously well regarded for his offensive prowess the Crusaders always seemed like an odd landing spot. Was it because they were able to offer his wife the women's tennis HC position? Otherwise I'm really not sure how what he's done in Indiana that translate's to being a high quality HC. I know it's a tough gig but he knew that going in. Everyone knew that. Was his ultimate goal just getting HC experience?

Word was that he didn't get the Yale job because he didn't have any HC experience. He wasn't going to get that continuing to make Corn a winner.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Word was that he didn't get the Yale job because he didn't have any HC experience. He wasn't going to get that continuing to make Corn a winner.

I still don't get why Cecchini needed HC experience more than other established coordinators. Trisciani got the Elon job without any college HC experience, Garrett got the Lafayette gig without HC experience, Hunt at Colgate, Gilmore at Holy Cross, Moorhead at Fordham, Coen/Lembo/Higgins at Lehigh, Priore at Penn etc. All those guys landed better jobs than Valpo with nothing more than coordinator experience.

I'm not hating on Cecchini. I've always found his path a bit interesting relative to other established coordinators.

PAllen
December 18th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I still don't get why Cecchini needed HC experience more than other established coordinators. Trisciani got the Elon job without any college HC experience, Garrett got the Lafayette gig without HC experience, Hunt at Colgate, Gilmore at Holy Cross, Moorhead at Fordham, Coen/Lembo/Higgins at Lehigh, Priore at Penn etc. All those guys landed better jobs than Valpo with nothing more than coordinator experience.

I'm not hating on Cecchini. I've always found his path a bit interesting relative to other established coordinators.

You don't always get the promotion or the job when you go after it. But if while during the interview process for your dream next step you are told that "if you had "x" experience, we'd hire you in a heartbeat.". Then you go out and get "x" experience as soon as you can wherever you can. He wasn't getting the head gig at LU anytime soon and he was seen as a young kid with no HC experience, so no direct promotion from most peer institutions. At least Valpo is D-I HC experience, so he's filled that hole in his resume. I don't know if he's the right choice for LU at this point in time, but he's certainly worth a really hard look.

A side note: If LU passes on him here, I doubt he'll ever come back as this is the "next time".

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2018, 07:06 PM

Agree, and Yale’s current head coach is also a first time head coach. Sometimes citing experience is just an easy way to explain away not hiring someone.

Based on Dave’s impressive resume he should’ve been head coach at a place better than Valpo years ago. Does he rub people the wrong way?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Agree, and Yale’s current head coach is also a first time head coach. Sometimes citing experience is just an easy way to explain away not hiring someone.

Based on Dave’s impressive resume he should’ve been head coach at a place better than Valpo years ago. Does he rub people the wrong way?

Lehigh had 3 promising young coaches on its staff in the mid to late 90's, Dave Clawson, Dave Cecchini and Pete Lembo. Clawson and Lembo climbed through the coaching ranks while Cecchini basically got left in the dust relatively speaking

Gate83
December 18th, 2018, 08:12 PM

There's usually a reason if somebody needs "more experience." As you point out, there's plenty of assistants that didn't need to prove themselves elsewhere.

EU2000
December 18th, 2018, 08:25 PM

You’re right. Very interesting links.

Would love to see a series between Elon and Lehigh. Maybe Trish will make it happen :)

PAllen
December 18th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Lehigh had 3 promising young coaches on its staff in the mid to late 90's, Dave Clawson, Dave Cecchini and Pete Lembo. Clawson and Lembo climbed through the coaching ranks while Cecchini basically got left in the dust relatively speaking

Clawson was quite a bit senior to Cecchini

ngineer
December 18th, 2018, 10:14 PM
I hear you but each of those guys followed different paths. Harbaugh is clearly in a class by himself. He went from being the Raiders QB coach to the SD head coach to Stanford. Creighton and Caragher took over successful PFL programs and road them to bottom of the barrel FBS gigs. Cecchini took over a dumpster fire at Valpo and has gone 17-38. It's hard to evaluate him on his HC experience imo. His main selling points are he's a Lehigh guy and the Mountain Hawks were highly successful when he was on the staff.

Chick has also had some excellent experience when consider under and with whom he has mentored: Higgins, Lembo, OC at Harvard, w/Higgins, again, at The Citadel, back with Coen at Lehigh and then gets HC experience at Valpo. He has made them competitive when they used to be a door mat. Dunlap is considered a magician for how he turned the Lehigh program around, but it took him 6 freakin' years before he had a winning season. Part of the HC's job at Lehigh is "selling" the school and one of the major considerations that Joe will be looking for is to be confident that "The Candidate" is "all in" with the University's philosophy and believing he can make us competitive, again, on at least a regional stage with CAA, IL and SoCon schools.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Clawson was quite a bit senior to Cecchini

Clawson is 51 while Cecchini is in the 46-48 range. Clawson was at Lehigh from '93-'95 while Cecchini came on as a GA in '95. In reality, Clawson, Cecchini, Gilmore, Lembo and Coen aren't separated but by a few years.

PAllen
December 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Clawson graduated in '88. Cecchini in '95. And you make my point with OC vs. 1st yr GA.

RichH2
December 19th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Chick has also had some excellent experience when consider under and with whom he has mentored: Higgins, Lembo, OC at Harvard, w/Higgins, again, at The Citadel, back with Coen at Lehigh and then gets HC experience at Valpo. He has made them competitive when they used to be a door mat. Dunlap is considered a magician for how he turned the Lehigh program around, but it took him 6 freakin' years before he had a winning season. Part of the HC's job at Lehigh is "selling" the school and one of the major considerations that Joe will be looking for is to be confident that "The Candidate" is "all in" with the University's philosophy and believing he can make us competitive, again, on at least a regional stage with CAA, IL and SoCon schools.
There is no doubt that Dave can meet and exceed theses requirements. My only questions, and ones needed to be answered by all candidates, is the ability to get good assts particularly for DC and to recruit players.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Clawson graduated in '88. Cecchini in '95. And you make my point with OC vs. 1st yr GA.

There's like a 6 year difference in age.

Clawson's resume is excellent! Took over a disaster (Valpo bad) at Fordham at age 32 and completely turned it around. Went to Richmond, rebuilt that program, went 11-3 in 2007 and lost to App State in the semifinals. The Spiders won the national title with Clawson's players in 2008. Clawson then coached his first FBS game at Bowling Green at age 42. Head Coach of a P5 school by 47.

I think Cecchini is a solid coach and a "practical" choice for Lehigh. I've said that all along. But for whatever reason he really hasn't climbed the coaching ladder with much, if any success. If Lehigh doesn't hire him does he have any other opportunities to truly advance his career or would he be "stuck" at Valpo for another year?

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2018, 12:25 PM
There's like a 6 year difference in age.

Clawson's resume is excellent! Took over a disaster (Valpo bad) at Fordham at age 32 and completely turned it around. Went to Richmond, rebuilt that program, went 11-3 in 2007 and lost to App State in the semifinals. The Spiders won the national title with Clawson's players in 2008. Clawson then coached his first FBS game at Bowling Green at age 42. Head Coach of a P5 school by 47.

I think Cecchini is a solid coach and a "practical" choice for Lehigh. I've said that all along. But for whatever reason he really hasn't climbed the coaching ladder with much, if any success. If Lehigh doesn't hire him does he have any other opportunities to truly advance his career or would he be "stuck" at Valpo for another year?

Football Scoop is reporting that Folmar is the choice for Lehigh.

RichH2
December 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Football Scoop is reporting that Folmar is the choice for Lehigh.

Beat me to it FT :). Good choice.

PAllen
December 19th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I don't know why, but I this move doesn't sit well with me. Again, not sure the reason. I very much hope that I am wrong. Once this is all done, I'd love to know who was considered and the reasoning behind the decisions. Did anybody ask for too much? Did anybody just not get it?

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2018, 01:28 PM
I don't know why, but I this move doesn't sit well with me. Again, not sure the reason. I very much hope that I am wrong. Once this is all done, I'd love to know who was considered and the reasoning behind the decisions. Did anybody ask for too much? Did anybody just not get it?
I think it’s a great choice honestly and am jealous. He has a great offensive mind, and is young and likable.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Well it appears the Folmar talk was completely premature! My dream of Al Golden is still alive! xdrunkyx Although, like I've said, and most have, there's more than one horse in this race that can win. Folmar is someone I've been high on since his stint as an OC at Lehigh. I think he'd be a worthy hire. Cecchini I get and I absolutely see the potential. But, I could see it being a bumpy ride too. I still see some red flags with him.

The guy who ultimately gets the job might not be known yet! That's why I have my holiday popcorn ready! xpopcornxxxmasx

ngineer
December 19th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Another week to go. Supposedly Cecchini was in this week, but other face to face interviews still to be held. Folmar likely held off until after early signing day, and Cramsey has a bowl game tomorrow. Very possible another 2-3 others to be invited in. So, imo, 12/28 at the earliest and quite possibly after New Years, so, Owl, I hope you have a lot of popcorn!!xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopc ornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornxx popcornxxxmasxxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex

RichH2
December 20th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Footballscoop update. No offer has been made for HC position Folmar and others are candidates. Interviews are ongoing.

Gangtackle11
December 21st, 2018, 10:25 AM
Seems to me that they haven’t interviewed their 1st choice yet. xpeacex

ngineer
December 22nd, 2018, 01:52 PM
Anyone camping out in front of Sterrett's office this weekend?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 22nd, 2018, 02:26 PM

A bit too chilly for me! Watching Wake Forest play there's a few guys on their staff that would get the job done!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM
How about John Loose? Could he be one of the "sleeper" candidates?

RichH2
December 22nd, 2018, 04:03 PM
How about John Loose? Could he be one of the "sleeper" candidates?

Wow.that would drive the Pardvillians absolutely bonkers.
xthumbsupx

citdog
December 22nd, 2018, 04:54 PM
Racist attempted murder mountain hawks had better see if Higgins can be coaxed back to that incubator of racism known as the le high campus.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2018, 06:55 PM
Loose may be offered the DC job at Army as I'm sure he's had a lot to do with their strong defense. Would be interesting to see what would happen with a defensive minded HC. I would love it, as I've always preached that championships begin with defense. And, yes, hiring Loose would drive the Leotards nuts!

citdog
December 22nd, 2018, 07:43 PM
What person of good conscious would take a job at a school that had a racist attempted murder on its campus? STAND UP AGAINST RACISM! BOYCOTT le high!!!!

RichH2
December 22nd, 2018, 08:09 PM
I'm guessing you're not a volunteer. xrolleyesx Wouldnt have to start until the 26th. Just saying .xxmasx

citdog
December 22nd, 2018, 08:20 PM
le high is a RACIST institution. No football coach with a conscious would EVER be employed by such a racist school.

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2018, 09:23 PM
le high is a RACIST institution. No football coach with a conscious would EVER be employed by such a racist school.

What in the world are you talking about?

citdog
December 22nd, 2018, 09:31 PM

Google "racist attempted murder at Lehigh"...

RichH2
December 22nd, 2018, 09:40 PM

You can just post around it. Never pays to feed a troll.

citdog
December 22nd, 2018, 09:56 PM
You can just post around it. Never pays to feed a troll.

You can attempt to deny it all you like. Google racist attempted murder at Lehigh.

Lehigh74
December 22nd, 2018, 11:23 PM
It was an international student from China who lost his mind. How does that have anything to do with the university? The kid could have gone to any elite college. Note that Lehigh is # 48 in the Wall Street Journal rankings and The Citidel is # 377.

citdog
December 23rd, 2018, 12:12 AM
It was an international student from China who lost his mind. How does that have anything to do with the university? The kid could have gone to any elite college. Note that Lehigh is # 48 in the Wall Street Journal rankings and The Citidel is # 377.

Yet only le high leads the nation in racist attempted murders on campus. White supremacists gonna white supremacist...

citdog
December 23rd, 2018, 12:12 AM
le high leads the nation in racist attempted murders...

LU808
December 23rd, 2018, 10:28 PM
le high leads the nation in racist attempted murders...

Interesting that someone with an inglorious moniker and list of catchphrases and slogans in his signature block would repeat the racist insults commonly attributed to the Southern Democrats pre and post Civil War. I wonder if he employs the same racially charged taunting against the 63 Citadel African American players on the Citadel roster and the 3 African American coaches on his team?

RichH2
December 24th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Interesting that someone with an inglorious moniker and list of catchphrases and slogans in his signature block would repeat the racist insults commonly attributed to the Southern Democrats pre and post Civil War. I wonder if he employs the same racially charged taunting against the 63 Citadel African American players on the Citadel roster and the 3 African American coaches on his team?

citdog has been busy hitting numerous threads spewing his bile. ursus has been informed by numerous posters and is dealing with citdog.

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2018, 12:25 PM
But back to the subject at hand...

With NLI out of the way for every PL team but Georgetown (Hoyas signed four, probably need 15-18 more in February), Lehigh does not need to be in rush to fill the job before spring ball. Can or would the Engineers reach beyond the PL/IL bubble and sign a more prominent...well..."name" coach, or just go down the next name on the "he used to be an assistant here..." list?

MR. CHICKEN
December 24th, 2018, 01:05 PM
........TIC TAC TOE CHICKEN......CAN GAME PLAN.......BRAWK!

ngineer
December 24th, 2018, 04:59 PM
........TIC TAC TOE CHICKEN......CAN GAME PLAN.......BRAWK!

Moo Goo Gai Pan would ruffle some feathers.

RichH2
December 26th, 2018, 05:23 PM
An update per Jim on the Lehigh Board. On campus interviews are this week. There are 5 candidates coming in. To paraphrase there are surprising names among the candidates. Surprising apparently refers to posters' not including them among the 20 or so IDed in our speculations. No shock that Sterrett has his own mind about the type of HC he wants to lead Lehigh going forward.

katstrapper
December 26th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Cramsey was a finalist at CCSU 5 years ago, but the job went to Rossomando. I would take Cramsey if we had to do it again.

Cramsy left Sam Houston to take the OC job at Marshall.

PAllen
December 26th, 2018, 05:41 PM
An update per Jim on the Lehigh Board. On campus interviews are this week. There are 5 candidates coming in. To paraphrase there are surprising names among the candidates. Surprising apparently refers to posters' not including them among the 20 or so IDed in our speculations. No shock that Sterrett has his own mind about the type of HC he wants to lead Lehigh going forward.

So Urban Meyer is in play! :D

RichH2
December 26th, 2018, 05:58 PM

Damn! How did you find out???xrolleyesxxdontknowx. xlmaox

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 26th, 2018, 06:55 PM

He's taking the Assistant AD gig at The Ohio State...

Must be Buckeye DC and former Rutgers HC Greg Schiano

PAllen
December 26th, 2018, 06:59 PM

I had just thought of that particular Bucknell grad coming beck to the PL.

RichH2
December 26th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Schiano, an interesting possibility. Fact tho, we may never know all of the 5 candidates left standing. The suspense has worn out its welcome with me. Lets get this over with soon.

Bill
December 26th, 2018, 08:05 PM

I realize you're only joking, but just in case you had too much holiday cheer:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29783&stc=1

Bill
December 26th, 2018, 08:18 PM
And according to reports THE OSU released itself, Schiano made $1.5 million this year - before the bowl bonus. I don't think it's absurd to state Schiano may make near the amount of ALL the PL head coaches, combined. xnodx

And he's "just" a coordinator.

PAllen
December 26th, 2018, 08:36 PM
And according to reports THE OSU released itself, Schiano made $1.5 million this year - before the bowl bonus. I don't think it's absurd to state Schiano may make near the amount of ALL the PL head coaches, combined. xnodx

And he's "just" a coordinator.

Penske decided to foot the bill.

ngineer
December 27th, 2018, 07:53 PM

Part of South Bethlehem's Urban Renewal projects! Let's face it, with such a less stress-filled job, his headaches will disappear overnight. May have a problem with players having to attend classes.

ngineer
December 27th, 2018, 08:18 PM
So, as reported in the Lehigh Forum, the screened list is down to five finalists. Who they be?: Cecchini, Cramsey, Folmar, Golden, Loose, Lustig, Ruggerio, ?????, ?????,....fill in your names. Anyone want to take a stab at guessing our mystery guest?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 27th, 2018, 08:34 PM
So, as reported in the Lehigh Forum, the screened list is down to five finalists. Who they be?: Cecchini, Cramsey, Folmar, Golden, Loose, Lustig, Ruggerio, ?????, ?????,....fill in your names. Anyone want to take a stab at guessing our mystery guest?

My personnel 5
1. Golden - For obvious reasons. I think he would do a great job in terms of recruiting and leadership. Plus he's a defensive guy. I think he would give Lehigh a really good 5-7 years.
2. Folmar - Great offensive mind that has HC experience. Was well liked and respected while at Lehigh. If he succeeds he might not last a recruiting cycle.
3. Warren Ruggiero - Clawson's right hand man is one helluva right hand man. He has to be well versed in the program. He knows how to recruit at a highly regarded academic school. He might stick around a while too.
4. Tim Cramsey - Everyone loves his offensive prowess so there's got to be substance there. He definitely likes to jump around to different gigs. I think he has a high ceiling but could potentially flameout. I'm not sue his assistants would trust him.
5. Dave Cecchini - He has to be included. One of Lehigh's favorite sons who knows offense. Could be a long term hire if he had success...

One guy that is interesting to me is Jim Clements. He's basically the Lehigh Valley version of Bob Chesney. The guy wins and wins and wins....

LehighU11
December 27th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Someone on the Lehigh Forum suggested the possibility of a female candidate being in the mix, so I'll guess that Condoleezza Rice is under consideration. With her Stanford background, perhaps she could lure Kotulski back to South Mountain as DC to fix the defense. Her experience on the CFP Selection Committee may help with the politics of securing an at-large bid for the Patriot League in the FCS playoffs.

ngineer
December 27th, 2018, 09:06 PM
My personnel 5
1. Golden - For obvious reasons. I think he would do a great job in terms of recruiting and leadership. Plus he's a defensive guy. I think he would give Lehigh a really good 5-7 years.
2. Folmar - Great offensive mind that has HC experience. Was well liked and respected while at Lehigh. If he succeeds he might not last a recruiting cycle.
3. Warren Ruggiero - Clawson's right hand man is one helluva right hand man. He has to be well versed in the program. He knows how to recruit at a highly regarded academic school. He might stick around a while too.
4. Tim Cramsey - Everyone loves his offensive prowess so there's got to be substance there. He definitely likes to jump around to different gigs. I think he has a high ceiling but could potentially flameout. I'm not sue his assistants would trust him.
5. Dave Cecchini - He has to be included. One of Lehigh's favorite sons who knows offense. Could be a long term hire if he had success...

One guy that is interesting to me is Jim Clements. He's basically the Lehigh Valley version of Bob Chesney. The guy wins and wins and wins....

True, he is moving up the proverbial ladder with success at D-III Delaware Valley and now D-II Kutztown. Question would be whether he could transition to a completely new culture at a place like Lehigh. Recruiting the PL student athlete is a difficult task. So, yes, he is "interesting" and how he would do in an interview with Joe would be interesting. Otherwise, I would go with your five, except replacing Lustig for Golden. I just don't him coming to "little Lehigh" after where he' been. But any of this crew would be acceptable on paper. What we don't know is how well they come across in the interview and can show Joe what type of a program organization he would run.

RichH2
December 28th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Per his source there were no NFL or FBS assts and no prior LU OCs.
Clements, Felus, Cramsey Scheier are good options.

Fordham
December 28th, 2018, 09:46 AM
exciting times for engineer fans.

ngineer
December 28th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Per his source there were no NFL or FBS assts and no prior LU OCs.
Clements, Felus, Cramsey Scheier are good options.

Cramsey is an FBS assistant as was Scheier.

RichH2
December 28th, 2018, 11:31 AM
So appears there were 70 applicants for HC. Pretty impressive.
Today is Rumor Friday. Flying fast and furious.

We are all focusing on who were the coaches on campus for interviews. Interesting but I wonder if Joe feels constrained to hire one of them.

RichH2
December 28th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Oh, meant to mention. Per Lehigh, Andy and family will be taken care of under Lehigh's Benefits program. Great news.

ngineer
December 28th, 2018, 08:24 PM
So appears there were 70 applicants for HC. Pretty impressive.
Today is Rumor Friday. Flying fast and furious.

We are all focusing on who were the coaches on campus for interviews. Interesting but I wonder if Joe feels constrained to hire one of them.

yes, quite a process. List of 70 culled down to 20 or so telephone interviews now culled down to the "final five" subject to the full monty of interviews. Unlikely an announcement until second week of January.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 28th, 2018, 08:27 PM
yes, quite a process. List of 70 culled down to 20 or so telephone interviews now culled down to the "final five" subject to the full monty of interviews. Unlikely an announcement until second week of January.

What's interesting is there's no concern over the time line imo. I think every is on board with "trusting the process". No one seems concerned that who ever is hired won't succeed....

ngineer
December 28th, 2018, 08:35 PM
What's interesting is there's no concern over the time line imo. I think every is on board with "trusting the process". No one seems concerned that who ever is hired won't succeed....

Knowing Joe, he is thorough. He is not hiring for any 'quick fix' or a 'name', but will look for someone he can see building on our tradition, believing in Lehigh's philosophy on sports, yet able to strive to regain national relevancy, and will be someone that those who will be mentored will be able to say they were fortunate to have played for "that coach".

RichH2
December 28th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Knowing Joe, he is thorough. He is not hiring for any 'quick fix' or a 'name', but will look for someone he can see building on our tradition, believing in Lehigh's philosophy on sports, yet able to strive to regain national relevancy, and will be someone that those who will be mentored will be able to say they were fortunate to have played for "that coach".

+1 Exactly. Clean your inbox. Just a note. I have not met a football alum who wasnt proud to play for "his" head coach. As Andy says Tradition never dies.

ngineer
December 28th, 2018, 09:46 PM
+1 Exactly. Clean your inbox. Just a note. I have not met a football alum who wasnt proud to play for "his" head coach. As Andy says Tradition never dies.

Done., and you are right.

crusader11
December 29th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Gilmore interviewed for the job.

Bill
December 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM

For new DC? I would hire him yesterday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 29th, 2018, 09:42 AM

For real? He was one of the "5"....or so...

RichH2
December 29th, 2018, 10:54 AM
For real? He was one of the "5"....or so...

That is a WOW. Tom a great DC. Has had little success as a HC. Admittedly not all,or even mostly,his fault. His epic battles and losses to Cross Admissions derailed most hope of a competitive team. Pine did help to work out a working relationship allowing more athletes admission. His Cross teams were without exception well coached but slow and not particularly athletic overall. Dont really know where that leaves us with him.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 29th, 2018, 11:09 AM
That is a WOW. Tom a great DC. Has had little success as a HC. Admittedly not all,or even mostly,his fault. His epic battles and losses to Cross Admissions derailed most hope of a competitive team. Pine did help to work out a working relationship allowing more athletes admission. His Cross teams were without exception well coached but slow and not particularly athletic overall. Dont really know where that leaves us with him.

I'm not sure if the Crusaders were exceptionally well coached. There were several miscues in late game situations that cost HC wins. If you look at Gilmore's record in close games post Randolph it was terrible. Before he was fired in 2017 he made several bizarre 4th quarter decisions. I think the Lafayette game he did some especially whacky stuff.

I trust Sterrett but I don't know about Gilmore. His tantrums and rants on the side line won't go over well if Lehigh isn't winning games. Players seem to love him and he was overall well liked in Worcester but of all the candidates?...

ngineer
December 29th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure if the Crusaders were exceptionally well coached. There were several miscues in late game situations that cost HC wins. If you look at Gilmore's record in close games post Randolph it was terrible. Before he was fired in 2017 he made several bizarre 4th quarter decisions. I think the Lafayette game he did some especially whacky stuff.

I trust Sterrett but I don't know about Gilmore. His tantrums and rants on the side line won't go over well if Lehigh isn't winning games. Players seem to love him and he was overall well liked in Worcester but of all the candidates?...

Poster doesn't say whether Gilmore interviewed over the phone (second stage) or on campus (final stage). He certainly made his mark when DC here, but his stay at HC was up and down. However, a lot of that can be attributed to the environment and constraints one is in. Different kinds of people thrive or dive depending on the environment.

RichH2
December 29th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Poster doesn't say whether Gilmore interviewed over the phone (second stage) or on campus (final stage). He certainly made his mark when DC here, but his stay at HC was up and down. However, a lot of that can be attributed to the environment and constraints one is in. Different kinds of people thrive or dive depending on the environment.
From multiple sources this evening. Ceechini and Folmar out. 3 candidates still alive. A HC that emphasizes D is Joe's goal. Gilmore an obvious one to consider as it fits withcearlier speculation.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 29th, 2018, 10:59 PM
From multiple sources this evening. Ceechini and Folmar out. 3 candidates still alive. A HC that emphasizes D is Joe's goal. Gilmore an obvious one to consider as it fits withcearlier speculation.

this is getting exciting!

Gilmore, Kashurba and TBD perhaps?

DFW HOYA
December 29th, 2018, 11:02 PM
this is getting exciting!

Gilmore, Kashurba and TBD perhaps?

Major Applewhite will be available soon...

https://sports.yahoo.com/major-applewhites-job-limbo-reveals-administrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 29th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Major Applewhite will be available soon...

https://sports.yahoo.com/major-applewhites-job-limbo-reveals-administrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html

Definitely not a defensive guy!

I noticed Jim Clements is deeply rooted in defense and has never had a losing season in 13 years as a head coach....

ngineer
December 29th, 2018, 11:16 PM
Definitely not a defensive guy!

I noticed Jim Clements is deeply rooted in defense and has never had a losing season in 13 years as a head coach....

Yes. He's sort of become my 'dark horse'. Moving up the backstretch as various names fall by the wayside. "And down the stretch they come..!" (channeling Fred Kapasela (sp?)--classic race announcer back in the '50's and '60's for all the big horse races). While Clements has roots in 'D' his teams at Kutztown have put up a lot of points. Of course, he followed Folmar, when he came here n 2014. Interesting, Barry Fetterman coached at Kutztown a bit back in the 90's before returning to Lehigh before his untimely passing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 29th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Yes. He's sort of become my 'dark horse'. Moving up the backstretch as various names fall by the wayside. "And down the stretch they come..!" (channeling Fred Kapasela (sp?)--classic race announcer back in the '50's and '60's for all the big horse races). While Clements has roots in 'D' his teams at Kutztown have put up a lot of points. Of course, he followed Folmar, when he came here n 2014. Interesting, Barry Fetterman coached at Kutztown a bit back in the 90's before returning to Lehigh before his untimely passing.

On the surface Clements being in the mix makes sense. But it's anyone's guess at this point!

All I know is if Gilmore is the guy we're headed for an entertaining offseason with our Crusader friends; especially HC87. His late night rants about Gilmore "being a great guy but not a good head coach" on the Crusader board were always worth the read.

xpopcornx

ngineer
December 29th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Another name lost in the shuffle, with a great defensive focus is Don Dobes of Dartmouth. He is credited with really turning around that program's defense, which has directly led to some successful seasons. Been around a long time, but never a HC to my knowledge.

RichH2
December 30th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Clements, Gilmore and Dobes all fit the bill. Spent most of last night on the phone. We all sort of circled around these three. As one of my LV confreres noted (wryly), we havent yet seen the Unknown Challenger lurking in the shadows.
After last 5 years, Joe's focus on a coach who emphasizes D is understandable, perhaps even mandated.
Trust Joe will not totally abandon balance in the search for a better D. No one wants a Susan , who produces excellent D year in and year out but absolutely zero offense.

Doc QB
December 30th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I wish there was someway to have more transparency with this hiring. Coaches move all the time, yet who we interview is a secret? Why?

I in no way want Gilmore, prior good acts at LU as a DC or not. Aside from having a once in a career QB in Randolph, and success with him, he was average at best otherwise, and remians an underwhelming candidate. And some of you can envision him or Kashurba (part of our continued defensive garbage).

Folmar is reportedly out. He did get passed over at Elon for Tony, or maybe wasn’t considered, nor was he asked to go to JMU w a guy he helped get Elon on track.

Dave C is a former teammate and friend, but is reportedly out. I always worried that Valpo was a job that could do more harm than good for climbing the ladder, as it could be a tough sell to bring him back unless he really killed it there. But he didn’t, and it probably made it hard for Joe to put him high on the list as a result, fan favorite or not.

Currnt OC Brisson? No HC experience and despite players wanting him, there should be way too many people ahead of him. And aside from a seasons where he had offensive weapons my mom could coordinate to huge numbers, when that embarrassment of riches was reduced to the best Qb and RB in the league, he was exposed, Oline issues or not...unimaginative and bland and underproducing. No way.

the guy at Kutztown, if truly a candidate, is intriguing. Defense background, puts up big O numbers, has always been a winner. But at Del Val and KU he has not needed to recruit high level students, and having cart Blanche in admissions makes it far easier to recruit. Could he sustain his success with that additional challenge?

I wonder two things. First, Are we not able to put a package together to attract a Tim Cramsey, or was he not interested, has sights set higher. In my mind that was the target or a guy like it. Second, does Joe have something exciting lined up that we are unable to speculate? And why the secrecy? Does it matter if clowns like us opine on a football blog about true, known contenders or speculative ones? Do either affect the job search?

But out of 70 applicants I hope the five finalists are not who we think they are. That’s underwhelming.

ngineer
December 30th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Oh I am sure Joe will have a lot of focus on maintaining Lehigh's tradition as having strong offenses and good QBs. Makes me wonder if one of these three or similar type does get the HC, whether they bring in new coordinators. Indeed part of the 'interview process' may include the candidates meeting with the current coordinators to test philosophies. In essence, getting the benefit of their questioning of the the current OC/DC and seeing whether they would mesh or require replacement.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I wish there was someway to have more transparency with this hiring. Coaches move all the time, yet who we interview is a secret? Why?

I in no way want Gilmore, prior good acts at LU as a DC or not. Aside from having a once in a career QB in Randolph, and success with him, he was average at best otherwise, and remians an underwhelming candidate. And some of you can envision him or Kashurba (part of our continued defensive garbage).

Folmar is reportedly out. He did get passed over at Elon for Tony, or maybe wasn’t considered, nor was he asked to go to JMU w a guy he helped get Elon on track.

Dave C is a former teammate and friend, but is reportedly out. I always worried that Valpo was a job that could do more harm than good for climbing the ladder, as it could be a tough sell to bring him back unless he really killed it there. But he didn’t, and it probably made it hard for Joe to put him high on the list as a result, fan favorite or not.

Currnt OC Brisson? No HC experience and despite players wanting him, there should be way too many people ahead of him. And aside from a seasons where he had offensive weapons my mom could coordinate to huge numbers, when that embarrassment of riches was reduced to the best Qb and RB in the league, he was exposed, Oline issues or not...unimaginative and bland and underproducing. No way.

the guy at Kutztown, if truly a candidate, is intriguing. Defense background, puts up big O numbers, has always been a winner. But at Del Val and KU he has not needed to recruit high level students, and having cart Blanche in admissions makes it far easier to recruit. Could he sustain his success with that additional challenge?

I wonder two things. First, Are we not able to put a package together to attract a Tim Cramsey, or was he not interested, has sights set higher. In my mind that was the target or a guy like it. Second, does Joe have something exciting lined up that we are unable to speculate? And why the secrecy? Does it matter if clowns like us opine on a football blog about true, known contenders or speculative ones? Do either affect the job search?

But out of 70 applicants I hope the five finalists are not who we think they are. That’s underwhelming.

Great post! I share similar thoughts....

ngineer
December 30th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Don't disagree with our overall take. I am sure our budget placed certain constraints on how far we can reach into the national trove of available coaches. The constraints of the University and/or the PL could also have impacted the level of interest among the "70", once more was learned about the conditions under which they would be working. For someone like a Cramsey, considering the prior schools he has coached at, it would be somewhat culture shock in seeing how our recruiting is limited and tailored. Clements would have the same 'learning curve' to maneuver; however, for him, it would certainly be a step up in both salary and visibility for someone who may have higher rungs in their vision. I agree going to Gilmore would seem more like trying to rekindle something we had 20 years ago...in love and work, that usually does not work. Kashurba has only been here one year and limited as the LB coach. With the ability to be in total control of a program and plan ahead, one may get more than what just meets this year's view. Would have loved to see Trisciani come back here...my first choice.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Don't disagree with our overall take. I am sure our budget placed certain constraints on how far we can reach into the national trove of available coaches. The constraints of the University and/or the PL could also have impacted the level of interest among the "70", once more was learned about the conditions under which they would be working. For someone like a Cramsey, considering the prior schools he has coached at, it would be somewhat culture shock in seeing how our recruiting is limited and tailored. Clements would have the same 'learning curve' to maneuver; however, for him, it would certainly be a step up in both salary and visibility for someone who may have higher rungs in their vision. I agree going to Gilmore would seem more like trying to rekindle something we had 20 years ago...in love and work, that usually does not work. Kashurba has only been here one year and limited as the LB coach. With the ability to be in total control of a program and plan ahead, one may get more than what just meets this year's view. Would have loved to see Trisciani come back here...my first choice.

I don't think Lehigh or any PL gig is that much of a niche gig. Football coaches coach. I know that sounds simple but it's true. Their support staff, secretaries etc handle all the pain in the butt stuff for the most part. Mike Houston was able to win at The Citadel, a place with way more hurdles than Lehigh, with a background coaching high school football and at Lenoir-Rhyne. Bob Chesney has nothing on his resume relating to the PL yet he'll do just fine because he's a good football coach.

You can find plenty of high quality qualified kids to come to Lehigh to play football. I don't think there's anything that makes coaching at Lehigh tougher than most other schools FCS school honestly. Every school/program is facing some level of red tape. If it's not admissions it's funding, administration/alumni apathy, facilities etc. All things considered Lehigh is a very attractive gig.

RichH2
December 30th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Very well said. Agree the names we speculate are underwhelming at best on the surface. Wondering about current staff serves little purpose right now. Whoever comes may keep a few but he will want his own people. Scott and Craig are great guys and great rdcruiters. Both seem out of gheir depth as coordinators. Kashurba also a very good recruiter and seems to be our best D coach. Bandy faced with a daunting task but that said he didnt handle it well at all.
Clements seems capable and fits what has been reported as Joe's emphasis. Recruiting is a major issue for me. I dread going back to years of learning schollie recruiting at this level.
Well, we'll know in a week or less it seems.

PAllen
December 30th, 2018, 01:26 PM

At this point I'm worried that this "trust Joe a big new exciting announcement is coming" is going to go the same way as that "big new exciting announcement" about PL football from a few years ago did. Which is to say, it is a dud. I agree Gilmore is not the guy for the HC position. DC? Sure, in a heartbeat, but HC no.

RichH2
December 30th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Dont really care whether Joe hires a big name or a popular name as long as he gets the right coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Tom Gilmore's record at HC

2004 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Holy Cross
3–8
1–5
6th

2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season)
Holy Cross
6–5
3–3
4th

2006 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross
7–4
4–2
3rd

2007 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross
7–4
4–2
2nd

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross
7–4
5–1
2nd

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
9–3
5–1
1st
L NCAA Division I First Round (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship)

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross
6–5
4–2
T–2nd

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
6–5
4–2
2nd

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
2–9
2–4
4th

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
3–9
1–5
T–6th

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
4–8
2–4
T–5th

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
6–5
3–3
4th

2016 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
4–7
2–4
6th

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Holy Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Holy_Cross_Crusaders_football_team)
2–5
1–1

Fired after 7 gms

Holy Cross:
72–81
41–40

kdinva
December 30th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Mark Richt and Major Applewhite are available.....

PAllen
December 30th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Richt it is. He'll have to adjust to a lower level of support, but he runs a nice program.

Go...gate
December 30th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Hopefully, Brian Kelly will be available.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Jim Clements coaching record.....this is pretty ridiculous. I thought Chesney's was good but this is silly...

Year
School
W
L
Pct

Postseason

Delaware Valley

ECAC South Atlantic Bowl Runner-Up

Delaware Valley

Delaware Valley

MAC Tri-Champions, ECAC South Atlantic Bowl Champions

Delaware Valley

MAC Champions, NCAA Second Round

Delaware Valley

Delaware Valley

Delaware Valley

ECAC South Atlantic Bowl Champions

Delaware Valley

DVC Totals
8 Years

Overall

PSAC
Postseason

Year
School
W
L
Pct

W
L
Pct

Kutztown

Kutztown

Kutztown

PSAC East Champions

Kutztown

Kutztown

NCAA Tournament

KU Totals
5 Years

Totals
13 Years

Bill
December 30th, 2018, 09:21 PM
OK, no one has said it yet...so I will:

I do not know Coach Clements...but I do know that recruiting scholarship PL academic quality athletes is VASTLY different than recruiting at the other two schools listed above. He might be a good coach - but I need someone who at WORST has recruited scholarship athletes before, let alone ones with the academics needed in the PL.

Sader87
December 30th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Chesney didn't have any experience recruiting with PL standards/restrictions before coming to Holy Cross and seems to have done well with his first recruited class.

Still not of the belief that he is our "messiah" just yet...but so far, so good.

I so want you guys to pick Gilmore :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Chesney didn't have any experience recruiting with PL standards/restrictions before coming to Holy Cross and seems to have done well with his first recruited class.

Still not of the belief that he is our "messiah" just yet...but so far, so good.

Exactly! Good coaches get it done! The idea that you need some sort of special certification to handle coaching/recruiting in the PL is crazy. Lehigh is a great school not doubt but you don't need to be a MENSA member to gain acceptance. This isn't the University of Chicago or MIT.

Bill
December 30th, 2018, 09:41 PM

True - but Chesney spent 5+ seasons at Johns Hopkins...a school with arguably HIGHER standards than most of the PL...

RichH2
December 30th, 2018, 09:47 PM
OK, no one has said it yet...so I will:

I do not know Coach Clements...but I do know that recruiting scholarship PL academic quality athletes is VASTLY different than recruiting at the other two schools listed above. He might be a good coach - but I need someone who at WORST has recruited scholarship athletes before, let alone ones with the academics needed in the PL.
Chesney rather belies that analysis. I also have reservations about inexperience at recruiting without experience in schollie recruiting as limited by our acadmic standards not to forget the asinine PL restrictions. However, Clements has shown to be an excellent coach on his way up. He can bring on guys familiar with the ins and outs of our recruiting. Keep Brisson and/ or Kashurba.A 70% win rate is outstanding.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Chesney rather belies that analysis. I also have reservations about inexperience at recruiting without experience in schollie recruiting as limited by our acadmic standards not to forget the asinine PL restrictions. However, Clements has shown to be an excellent coach on his way up. He can bring on guys familiar with the ins and outs of our recruiting. Keep Brisson and/ or Kashurba.A 70% win rate is outstanding.

I think the PL restrictions are more of turn-off than Lehigh's academic standards. At the end of the day, every program has strengths/weaknesses and built in hurdles. Even in the CAA, Richmond, Villanova and W&M can't always recruit/accept the same players as say JMU or Towson. It's all relative. The most dominant program in FCS history is located in Fargo, North Dakota. Kids aren't falling over themselves to spend 4 years in Fargo, North Dakota.

ngineer
December 30th, 2018, 10:02 PM
I agree. The new HC doesn't have to have had experience in the PL or Ivy for purposes of recruiting. However, he needs to be fully aware of the issues and be able to deal with them. Keeping some of the staff who have been involved in recruiting at Lehigh for several years would certainly provided any needed transition assistance. The question is can he coach? Clements certainly has a nice record. I would assume Joe and crew will be doing their due diligence in checking into his organizational skills and ability to deal with 'administrations types'. Who knows, we may hear a name that no one has even mentioned the past two weeks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 30th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Well, Temple is once again looking for a head coach. Diaz, who was hired in December 13th, has left for Miami. We'll be on our 6th head coach since 2010. Horrible...:(

Just be happy for some stability on South Mountain....

ngineer
December 30th, 2018, 10:44 PM
I think the PL restrictions are more of turn-off than Lehigh's academic standards. At the end of the day, every program has strengths/weaknesses and built in hurdles. Even in the CAA, Richmond, Villanova and W&M can't always recruit/accept the same players as say JMU or Towson. It's all relative. The most dominant program in FCS history is located in Fargo, North Dakota. Kids aren't falling over themselves to spend 4 years in Fargo, North Dakota.

Good points. Yes, I think the PL restrictions would probably be the leading 'negative' about anyone wanting to move 'laterally' from another FCS team.

RichH2
January 1st, 2019, 12:09 PM
So our ever active rumor mill has spit out John Loose for your consideration. A very capable D coach. Does he fit as a HC? Big upside. It will p!ss Pards off. :)

PAllen
January 1st, 2019, 02:01 PM
So our ever active rumor mill has spit out John Loose for your consideration. A very capable D coach. Does he fit as a HC? Big upside. It will p!ss Pards off. :)

Still very mehh. With this long of a search, Joe better hit it out of the park.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 1st, 2019, 03:38 PM
Still very mehh. With this long of a search, Joe better hit it out of the park.

Maybe Mike Pettine is available....

I have to think there's going to be announcement within the next 48 hours or so?

RichH2
January 1st, 2019, 03:53 PM
Maybe Mike Pettine is available....

I have to think there's going to be announcement within the next 48 hours or so?

I sure hope its soon. I want to get onto recruiting,lax,Bball and wrestling rid of this circus of confusion.

ngineer
January 1st, 2019, 04:12 PM
My guess is we have an announcement by Friday. Loose has been on the Army staff the past few years. I thought one of the prior posts by someone 'in the know' indicated the finalist didn't include any assistance from FBS schools? While Army is a PL member for all other sports, I consider them FBS for football.

RichH2
January 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM
My guess is we have an announcement by Friday. Loose has been on the Army staff the past few years. I thought one of the prior posts by someone 'in the know' indicated the finalist didn't include any assistance from FBS schools? While Army is a PL member for all other sports, I consider them FBS for football.

Yup :). Mill apparently no longer cares about consistency.xdrunkyx

ngineer
January 2nd, 2019, 05:17 PM
Veeerry quite right now. Wonder if " 'Loose' lips sinks ships" is apropos...xsmiley_wix

RichH2
January 2nd, 2019, 08:07 PM
No quiet time can avoid a groaner from ngineer. Thanks xlolx xbowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 2nd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Well, with Lehigh and Temple in need of coaches again I say Kevin Higgins to South Mountain and Golden back to North Philly. Let's party like it's 1999 and 2009 all over again....

Go...gate
January 2nd, 2019, 08:44 PM
Well, Temple is once again looking for a head coach. Diaz, who was hired in December 13th, has left for Miami. We'll be on our 6th head coach since 2010. Horrible...:(

Just be happy for some stability on South Mountain....

I saw that. WTH?

LehighU11
January 2nd, 2019, 09:13 PM
I saw that. WTH?
Eh, TU fans should look on the bright side: they finally have a relevant, competitive program. A stark contrast to the 90s and early 00s. I bet Georgetown and Rutgers would love to have the problem of successful coaches continually moving up.

Temple's coaches have left for Miami (twice now), BC, Baylor, and Georgia Tech in that span--all very good P5 gigs. In the same span, they've appeared in 6 bowl games and won a conference championship. Before Golden, it had been 30 years since Temple had played in a bowl game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 2nd, 2019, 10:01 PM
Eh, TU fans should look on the bright side: they finally have a relevant, competitive program. A stark contrast to the 90s and early 00s. I bet Georgetown and Rutgers would love to have the problem of successful coaches continually moving up.

Temple's coaches have left for Miami (twice now), BC, Baylor, and Georgia Tech in that span--all very good P5 gigs. In the same span, they've appeared in 6 bowl games and won a conference championship. Before Golden, it had been 30 years since Temple had played in a bowl game.

We've come a long way! I was a student during the darkest of dark days '01-'05. In that period we were booted from the Big East which resulted in Bobby Wallace filling our roster with jucco's and walk-ons to keep the program afloat until "the vote" came. The program's status in 1-A/FBS was saved by literally one vote. Had that the vote gone the other way Temple football would have entered a "restructuring" process. At that time we would have moved to 1-AA or dropped the program all together. No one believed we were headed to 1-AA if it came to that. Most of those Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette and Fordham teams of the early to mid 2000's would have beat us. The administration picked the perfect guy in Al Golden to get the program turned around. The MAC was also an ideal landing spot.

Temple was actually decent during the 70's and 80's. Hardin and Arians did a good job with they had to work with. Recent College Football HOF Paul Palmer was the Heisman Runner-up in 1986. The end of Northeast Independent football doomed the program as we lost our regional niche. Plus, I think we got complacent with Chaney and hoops. We never put the resources into the program that were needed to compete in a power conference like the Big East. Schools like Louisville, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Boise State, TCU did in the 1990's which allowed their programs to evolve quicker. In BC's and WVU's case they were simply able to build upon their tradition.

I'm shocked Temple and Lehigh don't have more history in football. Especially when you consider Temple was a rather small private school until the 60's. How or why we've played 40+ games against Bucknell I'll never know. And we play them again this year....

Go...gate
January 2nd, 2019, 10:56 PM
We've come a long way! I was a student during the darkest of dark days '01-'05. In that period we were booted from the Big East which resulted in Bobby Wallace filling our roster with jucco's and walk-ons to keep the program afloat until "the vote" came. The program's status in 1-A/FBS was saved by literally one vote. Had that the vote gone the other way Temple football would have entered a "restructuring" process. At that time we would have moved to 1-AA or dropped the program all together. No one believed we were headed to 1-AA if it came to that. Most of those Lehigh, Colgate, Lafayette and Fordham teams of the early to mid 2000's would have beat us. The administration picked the perfect guy in Al Golden to get the program turned around. The MAC was also an ideal landing spot.

Temple was actually decent during the 70's and 80's. Hardin and Arians did a good job with they had to work with. Recent College Football HOF Paul Palmer was the Heisman Runner-up in 1986. The end of Northeast Independent football doomed the program as we lost our regional niche. Plus, I think we got complacent with Chaney and hoops. We never put the resources into the program that were needed to compete in a power conference like the Big East. Schools like Louisville, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Boise State, TCU did in the 1990's which allowed their programs to evolve quicker. In BC's and WVU's case they were simply able to build upon their tradition.

I'm shocked Temple and Lehigh don't have more history in football. Especially when you consider Temple was a rather small private school until the 60's. How or why we've played 40+ games against Bucknell I'll never know. And we play them again this year....

They sure were. Also, they were able to pitch themselves as the only "Major" College Football program in the Philadelphia region. They had pretty decent radio and local TV coverage and that helped, too. Sometimes, TU games were re-broadcast on one of the Philly stations on Saturday evenings. They also got some love from the NJ and PA public television stations.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2019, 11:45 PM
We never put the resources into the program that were needed to compete in a power conference like the Big East. Schools like Louisville, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Boise State, TCU did in the 1990's which allowed their programs to evolve quicker. In BC's and WVU's case they were simply able to build upon their tradition.

TCU was a dead program into the early 1990's. The demise of the Southwest Conference left them literally without a home but the WAC decided to pick them up. Since then, it's a huge success story--they earned their way into the Big 12--and alumni have picked up the slack in a big way. They rebuilt Amon Carter Stadium (built in 1930) for $164 million in 2012, and it was paid for up front--the story goes that 15 to 20 local alumni footed the bill for most of it. In this off-season, they're adding a $100 million box suites addition. They sell out 47,000 seats almost every week in the Big 12 while SMU is drawing 15,000 in Dallas in the AAC.

All this from a school of just over 7,000 students.

https://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/gettyimages-878549968-e1528484266564.jpg

I maintain that had Temple Stadium been saved or rebuilt, Temple football would be in a much different place than where it is now.

https://hiddencityphila.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Temple-University-Stadium-660x515.jpg

ngineer
January 3rd, 2019, 12:27 PM
TCU was a dead program into the early 1990's. The demise of the Southwest Conference left them literally without a home but the WAC decided to pick them up. Since then, it's a huge success story--they earned their way into the Big 12--and alumni have picked up the slack in a big way. They rebuilt Amon Carter Stadium (built in 1930) for $164 million in 2012, and it was paid for up front--the story goes that 15 to 20 local alumni footed the bill for most of it. In this off-season, they're adding a $100 million box suites addition. They sell out 47,000 seats almost every week in the Big 12 while SMU is drawing 15,000 in Dallas in the AAC.

All this from a school of just over 7,000 students.

https://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/gettyimages-878549968-e1528484266564.jpg

I maintain that had Temple Stadium been saved or rebuilt, Temple football would be in a much different place than where it is now.

https://hiddencityphila.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Temple-University-Stadium-660x515.jpg

Great photo of Temple's old stadium. I remember back in the 1960's they had the cherry and white checkerboard design in the end zones. Too bad they cannot replicate that at the Linc. They could do the checkerboard design on their shoulders as Kentucky has done one with their blue and white. Very unique. Other than Tennessee, I am not aware of any other school that uses the checkerboard design.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2019, 12:31 PM
I saw that. WTH?

Does Temple get some compensation from Miami for causing a breach in the contract? Seems to me they had a signed deal already when the new coach switched.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2019, 01:21 PM
Does Temple get some compensation from Miami for causing a breach in the contract? Seems to me they had a signed deal already when the new coach switched.

A smooth 4 million. Add in the 2.5 we're getting from Georgia Tech and we're sitting on a pile of cash. Hopefully we put it to good use.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
They sure were. Also, they were able to pitch themselves as the only "Major" College Football program in the Philadelphia region. They had pretty decent radio and local TV coverage and that helped, too. Sometimes, TU games were re-broadcast on one of the Philly stations on Saturday evenings. They also got some love from the NJ and PA public television stations.

Our attendance wasn't too bad either until we joined the Big East. The program really started bottoming out in the mid 90's. We drew reasonably well for most games (20-20k) against Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Delaware, Boston College and Rutgers back in the day. That was in line with Boston College, Rutgers, Virginia, Virginia Tech and a lot of the top Ivies at the time. Temple had a famous game against #14 BYU (defending national champs) in 1985 at the Vet in which we lost 26-24. The attendance is listed at 31k and from what I gather there were probably more than that. The stories from that game are pretty wild and in some ways cringe worthy. Let's just say despite Temple's diversity we weren't the most welcoming hosts to the large number of BYU fans who were in attendance. Got to love a 9 P.M. east coast kickoff!!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/z3kAAOSwP61bS7Uo/s-l1600.jpg

Temple football was alive and well until we joined the Big East. We had some bad years but we also had some good years and produced several NFL guys that kept people engaged. The Owls went 7-4 in 1990, joined the Big East in 1991 and proceeded to enter a spiral that took nearly 20 years to recover from.

Man, Lehigh really needs to settle their coaching vacancy....

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2019, 02:23 PM
Let's just say despite Temple's diversity we weren't the most welcoming hosts to the large number of BYU fans who were in attendance. Got to love a 9 P.M. east coast kickoff!!

If the game went into Sunday morning, I'm assuming they played after midnight.

Model Citizen
January 3rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
Great photo of Temple's old stadium. I remember back in the 1960's they had the cherry and white checkerboard design in the end zones.

That's not a checkerboard. Google "Acres of Diamonds" for an explanation.

They could do the checkerboard design on their shoulders as Kentucky has done one with their blue and white.
At times, Temple has had the diamond pattern on the sides of their pants.

Very unique. Other than Tennessee, I am not aware of any other school that uses the checkerboard design.
Isn't Fresno State using a red and white pattern?

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Isn't Fresno State using a red and white pattern?

Correct. Here it is:

https://www.basalite.com/sites/default/files/styles/projects_detail_image/public/bulldog_stadium_bowl_2.jpeg

Let's hope we can get back to the Lehigh search soon... xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2019, 03:13 PM
If the game went into Sunday morning, I'm assuming they played after midnight.

That's a great point!! It had to of gone past midnight? xchinscratchx

Model Citizen
January 3rd, 2019, 04:24 PM
Correct. Here it is:

https://www.basalite.com/sites/default/files/styles/projects_detail_image/public/bulldog_stadium_bowl_2.jpeg

Also...Navy.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2019, 06:32 PM
We got too much time on our hands! A Lehigh thread hijacked by.....Temple? "ow(l)"....

carney2
January 3rd, 2019, 06:42 PM
AS DFW said, let's get back to the search for a Lehigh football coach. Another week is drawing to a close. The length of this process with (1) apparently only one decision maker involved and (2) a really long lead time since Coen's condition cannot have been a secret to insiders, leads to the obvious question, Has Sterrett been turned down by his number one choice?

ngineer
January 3rd, 2019, 06:51 PM
AS DFW said, let's get back to the search for a Lehigh football coach. Another week is drawing to a close. The length of this process with (1) apparently only one decision maker involved and (2) a really long lead time since Coen's condition cannot have been a secret to insiders, leads to the obvious question, Has Sterrett been turned down by his number one choice?

Quite possible. I don't see the 'delay' as being unduly long. Coen was announced the first week of January in 2006 after Lembo left a month earlier. Even though Sterrett knew of the condition, I think hands were tied from reaching out to those already under contract at other schools. At the same time, some 'targets' may have had their horizons changed due to the usual musical chairs that occur at the end of the season. Possibly some 'favorable' reactions early, may have changed due to changed opportunities. Lots of possibilities, including 'negotiations' over what Lehigh was capable of offering..Some HC candidates may have said "Yes, but...I want A,B,C..." Not necessarily for the person, but to be done for the program. I won't get concerned until this goes into next week.

RichH2
January 3rd, 2019, 08:09 PM

Concern? Not yet. Lots of moving parts over the last monthe. Cecchini got an extension to '20 apparsntly at $200,000.00. Elon to JMU migration. Some turndowns. Quite possible perhaps even likely. Doubt that changes Joe's process and ultimate goal. He wants the best possible HC he can get. Not all best options are possible.
My real concern overall are the moving parts of a program and the time necessary to align those parts into a cohesive team. No crisis point yet but it sits out there.
Besides,truthfully I am tired of this drama. It feels like one of those 3 hr movies and you're out of popcorn.xboringx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Does it matter if clowns like us opine on a football blog about true, known contenders or speculative ones? Do either affect the job search?

I don't think it directly affects who is being hired, but the excitement and speculation on the identity of the mystery candidates can't help but be positive. Any potential hire wants a fan base that cares. Maybe we care too much, but we do care.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2019, 12:45 PM
We may have an eleventh-hour coaching candidate...

https://twitter.com/LFN/status/1081252053438078976

RichH2
January 4th, 2019, 01:10 PM
I don't think it directly affects who is being hired, but the excitement and speculation on the identity of the mystery candidates can't help but be positive. Any potential hire wants a fan base that cares. Maybe we care too much, but we do care.

Too much? No. Dont think so. We sure do talk a lot tho. :)

ngineer
January 4th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Concern? Not yet. Lots of moving parts over the last monthe. Cecchini got an extension to '20 apparsntly at $200,000.00. Elon to JMU migration. Some turndowns. Quite possible perhaps even likely. Doubt that changes Joe's process and ultimate goal. He wants the best possible HC he can get. Not all best options are possible.
My real concern overall are the moving parts of a program and the time necessary to align those parts into a cohesive team. No crisis point yet but it sits out there.
Besides,truthfully I am tired of this drama. It feels like one of those 3 hr movies and you're out of popcorn.xboringx

There is a kernel of truth in that...

PAllen
January 4th, 2019, 04:59 PM

Now that's funny.

A bit of a sly move too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2019, 05:14 PM
There is a kernel of truth in that...

I was prepared for the 2 week holiday rush. But right now I'm not doing so well...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduHozb5Ku0UgvNC/giphy.gif

RichH2
January 4th, 2019, 05:29 PM
I was prepared for the 2 week holiday rush. But right now I'm not doing so well...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduHozb5Ku0UgvNC/giphy.gif

Perfect.

I hate to do this but rumor mill has spun again
Now circulating: Joe has made a choice but he is demanding entire O staff be retained. Supposedly has held up announcement.
I have absolutely no comment on this one. None.

PAllen
January 4th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Perfect.

Now circulating: Joe has made a choice but he is demanding entire O staff be retained. Supposedly has held up announcement.

Man I really hope that isn't true.

ngineer
January 4th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Find that hard to believe. Typically, the new candidate would meet with the existing staff (including one on one) in order to determine a 'fit' both in terms of philosophy, personality, and knowledge. I think about Laughyette's 'transition' with Garrett and how there has been a lot of 'coming and going' with their staff. Some of that upheaval maybe reflected in their results the past two years. Possible that Joe has strong feelings about SOME staff being retained because he has been able to see them perform and knows the importance of stable transition. 'Institutional memory' is important. However, such a requirement would probably be for only one year after which the new HC would be free to release. Just my thoughts, but I find it difficult to believe there would be a staff-wide edict.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Perfect.

Wow!! Maybe this news is the cause of the delay...When would this demand be revealed? I assume upfront, no? So, if so, someone would accept interview process and then demur when he realizes he has offer? Like a job candidate supposed to relocate for job and then is like "can I work remotely"?

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Great photo of Temple's old stadium. I remember back in the 1960's they had the cherry and white checkerboard design in the end zones. Too bad they cannot replicate that at the Linc. They could do the checkerboard design on their shoulders as Kentucky has done one with their blue and white. Very unique. Other than Tennessee, I am not aware of any other school that uses the checkerboard design.

Ngineer, where was this?

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2019, 06:54 AM

He couldnt spell "situation" much less pronounce it! Happy New Year!!

van
January 5th, 2019, 07:25 AM
demand seems a bit strong, pretty much everything is negotiable in a hiring process

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2019, 07:51 AM
So to recap who's really 'in the mix" at this point?

ngineer
January 5th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Ngineer, where was this?

LU Temple Owl posted a nice postcard pic of Temple's old stadium, circa 1940-50's. I seem while not shown in the photo, I seem to remember a checkerboard end zone in the late 60's, but I could be wrong.

I stand corrected. DFW Hoya posted at page 19

carney2
January 5th, 2019, 10:54 AM
So to recap who's really 'in the mix" at this point?

With this kind of a delay in a situation that has been "obvious" to the key decision maker since maybe August, you have to assume that most of the names placed "in the mix" on this informed, but non-influential, board are a little less so. This is beginning to look like it will be a "settled for" decision.

RichH2
January 5th, 2019, 12:43 PM
With this kind of a delay in a situation that has been "obvious" to the key decision maker since maybe August, you have to assume that most of the names placed "in the mix" on this informed, but non-influential, board are a little less so. This is beginning to look like it will be a "settled for" decision.

Does seem to be heading that way at least from our viewpoint out here in the bleachers. Truth tho likely much simpler than all our guesses and rumors. Regardless of who the new HC is or whether he was the 1st choice or the 20th, he will be the guy. All we can hope is that he is the right guy for now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 5th, 2019, 05:37 PM
I don't think the time frame is ultimately any different then the original thought by some which was "after the New Year". There's still a lot of moving parts going on right now in the coaching world. If there's not an announcement by the middle of the week I'll start to be alarmed.

With that said, Sterrett really shouldn't be middling on the staff. If there's a couple of guys that he wants to remain for continuity purposes that's fine. Every program has those 1 or 2 longstanding coaches that survive staff turnover. However, to stipulate that basically an entire group of coaches stays is bit too much. Hopefully Joe is willing to compromise. I get the kids like Brisson but his resume does not suggest he needs to stay.

RichH2
January 5th, 2019, 05:43 PM
I don't think the time frame is ultimately any different then the original thought by some which was "after the New Year". There's still a lot of moving parts going on right now in the coaching world. If there's not announcement by the middle of week I'll start to be alarmed.

With that said, Sterrett really shouldn't be middling on the staff. If there's a couple of guys that he wants to remain for continuity purposes that's fine. Every program has those 1 or 2 longstanding coaches that survive staff turnover. However, to stipulate that basically an entire group of coaches stays is bit too much. Hopefully Joe is willing to compromise. I get the kids like Brisson but his resume does not suggest he needs to stay.

Actually would be very surprised if Joe made any stipulation on current staff.
Brisson real talent is recruiting. An even better closer than Andy in his prime. A good WR/QB coach. So we'll see.

ngineer
January 5th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Actually would be very surprised if Joe made any stipulation on current staff.
Brisson real talent is recruiting. An even better closer than Andy in his prime. A good WR/QB coach. So we'll see.

Not impressed at all as an OC and no idea about his coaching abilities as to QB. Indeed, I did not see any improvement in our QB position of the two years he's been in his position. I would like to see Stambaugh brought in as QB/WR coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Word on the Lehigh board is that tomorrow will be the day. It's been a long wait but ultimately the time frame will be what was originally stated....

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2019, 11:09 PM
On the Lehigh board there was a deleted post within seconds of it being published that said it's Tom Gilmore.

Ugh...

Neighbor2
January 7th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Gilmore would be a safe pick, just a little disappointing. It becomes more clear, Lehigh has little interest beyond Patriot League play and whatever national rankings might result. Gilmore COULD work well under that ceiling.

Gilmore is a known commodity, very familiar with the Patriot League self-imposed limitations. He certainly has ongoing personal relationships around the league, including those still in play at Lehigh. Defensive-oriented focus and more of a hard-driving practice and game time presence.

Don’t know specifics about what didn’t “click” for Gilmore at Holy Cross, but I’m sure he would be motivated to retire from coaching in a much more positive manner. Something to prove before leaving, so to speak. He’s capable of 7-8 win seasons every year and knows the importance of finishing with a win over Lafayette.

I honestly don’t think the Lehigh job is as appealing as we tend to think. This could be the best fall-back choice after several rejections by coaches who DO want to do more nationally.

All this said . . .

Lehigh will probably announce someone else!

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Gilmore would be a safe pick, just a little disappointing. It becomes more clear, Lehigh has little interest beyond Patriot League play and whatever national rankings might result. Gilmore COULD work well under that ceiling.

Gilmore is a known commodity, very familiar with the Patriot League self-imposed limitations. He certainly has ongoing personal relationships around the league, including those still in play at Lehigh. Defensive-oriented focus and more of a hard-driving practice and game time presence.

Don’t know specifics about what didn’t “click” for Gilmore at Holy Cross, but I’m sure he would be motivated to retire from coaching in a much more positive manner. Something to prove before leaving, so to speak. He’s capable of 7-8 win seasons every year and knows the importance of finishing with a win over Lafayette.

I honestly don’t think the Lehigh job is as appealing as we tend to think. This could be the best fall-back choice after several rejections by coaches who DO want to do more nationally.

All this said . . .

Lehigh will probably announce someone else!

Pretty much agree on TG. Not a sexy pick. A safe best we could get pick? Not that either. Assumptions flying all over but nary a fact around to prop any of them up or knock'em down.Is HC at Lehigh a desirable job? Yup. A career topper? No. We are what we have always been for the most part, a stepping stone for coaches moving up.
Gilmore? He is a good D coach? HC? A mediocre career at Cross for a variety of reasons we have already discussed.
Sterrett has done his search for a HC. From out here a thorough one. Whoever is announced as the new HC will be the best HC he could get to move football forward .

van
January 7th, 2019, 08:57 AM
if it is Gilmore, we know what we are getting, knows Lehigh, knows PL, HC experience, defensive specialty, had issues at HC, what we don't know is were the HC issues on him or on the school

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 09:17 AM
if it is Gilmore, we know what we are getting, knows Lehigh, knows PL, HC experience, defensive specialty, had issues at HC, what we don't know is were the HC issues on him or on the school

As a coach I'd say overall his defenses were subpar at Holy Cross. I always found that to be the most ironic part about his reputation. He needed to ride the coat tails of an all-time great QB in order to claim his only PL title. His reputation as a defensive guru stems from his time at Lehigh when he was working with a bit of a stacked deck.

I've followed HC quite closely over the years. They were terrible in close games under Gilmore. One of the big reasons for that is Tom's bizarre end of the game decisions. He was always good for a temper tantrum or two for no good reason. Usually frustration over losing and needed to vent. I personally thought he was a bad head coach Holy Cross and was onboard that Holy Cross needed to fire him in order to improve their program. By giving him the boot after his team quit (and they did) on him at the Yale Bowl, Holy Cross immediately became a better program. Chesney is a huge upgrade over Gilmore for the fans in Worcester.

If you watched HC play under Gilmore I don't see what the positives really were...

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 09:30 AM

I guess. Personally, I always thought Tavani was a better coach than Gilmore. Both coaches had to deal with administration issues and took over rough situations. Tavani's teams had higher ceilings and his best teams played far better defense.

I've been consistent with my Gilmore head coach stance for years.

With that said, let's wait to see what happens...xcoffeex

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
As a coach I'd say overall his defenses were subpar at Holy Cross. His reputation as a defensive guru stems from his time at Lehigh when he was working with a bit of a stacked deck.

I've followed HC quite closely over the years. They were terrible in close games under Gilmore. One of the big reasons for that is Tom's bizarre end of the game decisions. He was always good for a temper tantrum or two for really good reason. I personally thought he stunk as a Holy Cross and was onboard that Holy Cross needed to fire him in order to improve their program. By giving him the boot after his team quit (and they did) on him at the Yale Bowl, Holy Cross immediately became a better program. Chesney is huge upgrade over Gilmore for the fans in Worcester.

If you watched HC play under Gilmore this honestly makes no sense imo.

Agree on bizaare game calls. I too followed Cross. Disagree on D tho. It was subpar overall but not due to coaching. D was IMO well coached. Main issue was lack of speed. Dreadfully slow.in the back 7. D was willing but not athletic to accomplish much. They usually wore down by the 2nd half. Pine settled Admissions battle which increased overall athleticism of team but too little too late for TG.
I have more issues with Cross O outside the Dominic years. One dimensional and staid.
Overall a mediocre program.HC's responsibility but how much of that was his fault? Dunno.
All that said, I trust Joe's vision and intelligence here. He is not a paper pusher AD. He knows football and coaching.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Since I'm bored...HC vs Lehigh defensive stats and PL rank.

Holy Cross
33.4 #7
412.0 #7
Lehigh
16.1 #1
307.8 #2

Holy Cross
23.9 #4
400.8 #7
Lehigh
20.7 #3
315.7 #4

Holy Cross
21.4 #2
335.4 #4
Lehigh
20.2 #1
327 #2

Holy Cross
24.0 #4
373.4 #5
Lehigh
21.1 #2
355.2 #4

Holy Cross
25.8 #4
367.3 #4
Lehigh
21.0 #2
356.9 #3

Holy Cross (PL Champs)
23.2 #4
389.4 #5
Lehigh
21.3 #2
324.6 #2

Holy Cross
23.1 #4
379.2 #6
Lehigh
19.1 #1
344.3 #2

Holy Cross
20.0 #3
342.4 #3
Lehigh
20.2 #4
315.7 #2

Holy Cross
28.8 #6
415.4 #6
Lehigh
21.8 #1
354 #2

Holy Cross
30.6 #4
449.1 #7
Lehigh
31.1 #5
436.9 #6

Holy Cross
24.2 #6
381.2 #6
Lehigh
33.2 #7
475.6 #7

2015 (no rankings)
Holy Cross
Lehigh

Holy Cross
32.3 #6
414.6 #5
Lehigh
26.9 #4
418.1 #6

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 10:45 AM
And what will we all do if Joe announces someone else?? :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 10:55 AM
And what will we all do if Joe announces someone else?? :)

More research! xnodx

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2019, 10:57 AM
I guess. Personally, I always thought Tavani was a better coach than Gilmore. Both coaches had to deal with administration issues and took over rough situations. Tavani's teams had higher ceilings and his best teams played far better defense.

I've been consistent with my Gilmore head coach stance for years.

I put Gilmore alongside Joe Susan: You know what you'll get but the upside may not be there.

A Joe Moorhead-type coach would kick-start Lehigh football in ways the PL could not imagine...or maybe they could imagine it and are not willing to take the step forward.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2019, 11:17 AM
A Joe Moorhead-type coach would kick-start Lehigh football in ways the PL could not imagine...or maybe they could imagine it and are not willing to take the step forward.

Boy, do I agree with this statement.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I put Gilmore alongside Joe Susan: You know what you'll get but the upside may not be there.

Yup. This choice scares the hell out of me. It should not be a status quo pick of a comfortable placeholder. A "family" pick that does not elevate the program will actually serve only to solidify limited expectations and the endorsement of mediocrity.

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, we only have simplistic crutches to base opinions on. There is the old saying about stats, 'Figures lie and liars figure'. They only tell so much and even then, it may not be reality. In athletics we have seen many times how some people will flourish in certain situations and environments, but not in others. The ability to recruit is tied to many variables. The ability to coach is tied to how smart and how athletic your recruits are, but also whether the philosophy matches the physical ability. To me, Bum Philips' quote about how to measure a good coach is still apropos: "He'll take his'n and beat yourin', then he can take youin' and beat hisin'." TG burnished his defense cred when at Lehigh under Higgins. He had some great players on those squads and learned how to use them. He, Lembo, and Cecchini realized they were left with a jam-stuffed cupboard of talent when Kevin left for the Detroit Lions and they agreed to stick together for the next couple years if Sterrett selected the new HC from their triumvirate. They parlayed those great years into nice promotions: Tom to Cross as HC and Chick to Harvard as the OC. Coaches' accomplishments are very difficult to measure because they are so intertwined with the work of others and dependent on the execution of whatever plans are hatched by a bunch of 18-22 year olds!!! If it is Tom, I am hoping his past couple years reunited with Clawson and Higgins at Wake Forest may have also created some new perspectives. I would think Joe would have had a nice "chat" with both Dave and Kevin about their views on his future. Finally, I would be surprised if announced today due to a certain 'media event' scheduled this evening. Perhaps, Tuesday afternoon?

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 12:37 PM
As a follow up to the above post, see post #4 from the 'dynasty' post about NDSU:

Re: Building a Dynasty
"It goes beyond coaching. Craig Bohl won 85% of his games at NDSU and is 28-35 at Wyoming in five years. He also has a losing record in conference games. The new Kansas State coach will find out he does not have the same advantages at KSU that he does at North Dakota State."

I find this part of the blog post interesting. I read this article recently:

NDSU success hasn't translated to higher levels for former Bison coaches (https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4547422-mcfeely-ndsu-success-hasnt-translated-higher-levels-former-bison-coaches) (Grand Forks Herald)

I am sure Mr. Bohl is just an excellent a coach as when he was at NDSU. But he's in a different environment, with different players, competitive interests, administrations, etc. Numbers are only a fraction of any story.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 01:19 PM
As a follow up to the above post, see post #4 from the 'dynasty' post about NDSU:

Re: Building a Dynasty
"It goes beyond coaching. Craig Bohl won 85% of his games at NDSU and is 28-35 at Wyoming in five years. He also has a losing record in conference games. The new Kansas State coach will find out he does not have the same advantages at KSU that he does at North Dakota State."

I find this part of the blog post interesting. I read this article recently:

NDSU success hasn't translated to higher levels for former Bison coaches (https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4547422-mcfeely-ndsu-success-hasnt-translated-higher-levels-former-bison-coaches) (Grand Forks Herald)

I am sure Mr. Bohl is just an excellent a coach as when he was at NDSU. But he's in a different environment, with different players, competitive interests, administrations, etc. Numbers are only a fraction of any story.

Well said. Our perspective dealing with aspirations,assumptions, rumors etc is skewed. Perhaps the best perspective may be to look at how Joe has done this in the past. Regardless of Lehigh coaching tree connection, the constant was young and upcoming coaches with resumes of success. None of those coaches would have been hired solely due to a Lehigh connection. If Gilmore is Joe's pick, it wont be because he was here before. It will be because Joe believes he can excel as our HC. The same applies to any other coach Joe may announce. Makes little difference if he was the 1st option or the 5th. Lots of moving parts may limit Joe's ability to sign some of our popular names.

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 02:37 PM
FWIW
Greg Schiano is available. Just saying.xdontknowxxsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 02:38 PM
FWIW
Greg Schiano is available. Just saying.xdontknowxxsmiley_wix

Trust me, the Temple folks are well aware.....:D

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Trust me, the Temple folks are well aware.....:D

Well , TU has some new 'cash' to play with from the Miami fiasco.

crusader11
January 7th, 2019, 06:05 PM

And he got the job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 06:11 PM
And he got the job.

Crazy! I said before the start that I trusted Joe. I never thought he would seriously consider Gilmore. He simply struggled in all phases (recruiting, hiring assistants, defense, game management etc) as Holy Cross's coach.

If I'm Colgate and Holy Cross right now I'm feeling good with my coach and my program. I'm Lehigh I'm basically hoping the 14 year data sample in Worcester is an "aberration". I've been steady on Gilmore for years. Good, passionate guy but not a good head coach. His resume is not as good as Frank Tavani's. That is reality...

This is going to be interesting...

crusader11
January 7th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Maybe not today, but Lehigh afforded their head coach many more opportunities to succeed than HC did when Gilmore was the coach.

I’d contend that what Gilmore accomplished from when he was hired up until about 2012 was quite impressive, but the last several years of his time in Worcester were pretty bad, despite having a great quarterback in Pujals.

On the surface, it’s a curious hire. I expect him to do well.

ngineer
January 7th, 2019, 06:22 PM
I haven't seen anything official on this yet. What is/are the source(s)??

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Maybe not today, but Lehigh afforded their head coach many more opportunities to succeed than HC did when Gilmore was the coach.

I’d contend that what Gilmore accomplished from when he was hired up until about 2012 was quite impressive, but the last several years of his time in Worcester were pretty bad, despite having a great quarterback in Pujals.

On the surface, it’s a curious hire. I expect him to do well.

Was he trying to get fired in 2017? He went nutty against Dartmouth and Lafayette before his team quit on him at the Yale Bowl which resulted in Pine firing him. His coaching at the end was erratic and irrational.

He had 2009 and a bunch of decent years. He'd often choke in meaningful PL games which is why the Crusaders got nothing out of those 7 win seasons. By the end he was getting outcoached by Sgarlata and losing to hapless Georgetown teams. 41-40 record against the middling PL is not good imo....

RichH2
January 7th, 2019, 06:28 PM
I haven't seen anything official on this yet. What is/are the source(s)??

Jennifer Toland sports reporter covers Cross.

crusader11
January 7th, 2019, 06:33 PM
There’s more to the story about what happened in New Haven that day.

The rebuild he had to undergo was pretty serious when he took the program over. The program was in disarray in Dan Allan’s final years (RIP), but he quickly elevated HC near the top of the league in short order. It’s a real shame they didn’t win another PLC in there in the 2006-08 range.

I’m not sure you understand just how poor the institutional support for the football program was for about a decade. Getting kids through admissions proved to be incredibly challenging. Not to mention, the facilities were among the worst in the PL up until the Luth was built.

But, yes, that definitely does not excuse some clock management issues and in game decisions he made.

What was so bad against Dartmouth?