PDA

View Full Version : Santos & Cat Nation

DD Wildcat
April 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Will UNH repeat the success of the past 3 years. They have a tough schedule early and some key holes to fill. I coached Ricky in high school and he definitely is great leader and will have to have a super seasonfor the wildcats to be in the hunt. The cats have brought in some great recruits and some will have to produce as freshmen something that doesn't usually happend.

WHAT'S UR THOUGHT?

Coach O

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
No. :D

They'll be fine, but it will be tough to see them back in the playoffs again. You never know though. xsmiley_wix

UNHWildCats
April 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I think Michael Boyle will step up the go to reciever and the running game will be more dangerous. Kackert will be a top 5 in the nation runner before his UNH career is done.

UNH wins CAA North and could win atleasta share of the conference, will make the playoffs and make there deepest run in the playoffs in Santos' final season.

HensRock
April 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I think David Ball will be a bigger loss than most expected.

WrenFGun
April 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think UNH will win the division. They have the best player in the division and they added a number of weapons to help at the WR position. Boyle and Levan will start, but Negron and the three Freshman are also going to be guys who can compete. The running game, with Simpson, Ward and Kackert, will be much improved. The defense showed serious improvement toward the end of the season, without Corey Graham. I don't see a reason to expect this team won't compete for the playoffs again.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Can't wait to see the Wildcats live in Harrisonburg! That game is going to be a huge barometer for the CAA next year.

Last year, JMU totally dismantled Santos in the style contrast. This year, I'm not so sure. Our D-line will be younger. Last year JMUs sacks had a huge impact on the game. But our secondary will be better, which may help the young guys get to Santos with some coverage sacks.

Our running game should be about as strong as last year. Landers at QB is even more mobile than Rascati (although nowhere near as accurate or experienced).

I know the revenge factor. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out on the field!

I still think UMass is the team to beat. Northeastern and Maine will be better. Good luck! I always root for the wildcats aside from when they are playing the Dukes! xthumbsupx

SOCAL
April 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I have a couple of former high school teammates playing at FCS schools one of whom is RJ Toman who will be a redshirt freshman this fall at New Hampshire and who will battle for the backup job to Santos. He is a baller and gets it done ---if Santos goes down Toman will do a great job

Mr. C
April 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Kackert will be a huge player for UNH next season. If he plays up to his potential, he can be a big difference maker and take some pressure off Santos. The keys for the Wildcats are the continued development of that young offensive line and some improvement on defense. There is a little doubt that UNH will score points, but how well the Wildcats do will be determined by improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I see them finishing first in the CAA North and making another playoff appearance.

Pageoner
April 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
i really wonder how much a loss losing Chip Kelly really will be
i know he was a big part of why the offense was so powerful
and UNH is normally a team that depends on offense
except the Richmond game last year where our defense helped us win the game.we will see.
Marshall will be a big test. but like said before. Bobby Simpson running the ball is very powerful.and Kackert has the break away speed.ask UMass

Henwatcher
April 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
UNHWC, I think Kackert is going to have a great year in 2007 and, of course, Santos is already a special player. If UNH improves defensively, they will definitely be in the playoffs.

umassfan
April 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
UMass again will be atop the CAA North... UNH will be fighting for second. They have too many holes to fill from the offseason to even compete with the Minutemen. Their biggest hole is of course their O Coord. I see quite the drop off now that he left to Oregon.

Mr. C
April 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
New Hampshire has too many holes to fill? UMass lost its two best offensive players, Steve Baylark and Alex Miller, as well as receiver Brandon London, All-American punter Christian Koegel (what a HUGE weapon he was), All-American safety and team leader James Ihedigbo, a solid CB in Tracy Belton, DL John Hatchell, and LB Brad Anderson. That's a lot of talent to lose and think you are going to repeat as league champs.

UNHWildCats
April 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
New Hampshire has too many holes to fill? UMass lost its two best offensive players, Steve Baylark and Alex Miller, as well as receiver Brandon London, All-American punter Christian Koegel (what a HUGE weapon he was), All-American safety and team leader James Ihedigbo, a solid CB in Tracy Belton, DL John Hatchell, and LB Brad Anderson. That's a lot of talent to lose and think you are going to repeat as league champs.

its pointless to argue with Umass fans :p

They'll see the argum,ents against them on the field in 2007 ;)

Col Hogan
April 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
its pointless to argue with Umass fans :p

They'll see the argum,ents against them on the field in 2007 ;)

We will all see on November 10th, won't we. xpeacex

umassfan
April 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
You dont know much about how deep our team was last year then... here are a couple names you will not forget this upcoming season:

Tony Nelson
Victor Cruz
Jeromy Miles

dennisdent
April 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
You dont know much about how deep our team was last year then... here are a couple names you will not forget this upcoming season:

Tony Nelson
Victor Cruz
Jeromy Miles

Victor Cruz isn't on the spring roster...

UNHWildCats
April 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Its OK he has his disclaimer :p

DISCLAIMER: My posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. If someone finds fault with them, too bad, I'm too busy to put real effort in.

DTSpider
April 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Not sure his statement isn't correct, we'll all remember Victor Cruz now :)

dennisdent
April 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM

xlolx

WrenFGun
April 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
To me, Santos is simply the best player, and he's going to will us to a number of victories. I still don't know how I feel about Kackert. He EXPLODED at the end of the season, but his big players (deep catch against Hampton, outside pitch against Maine, outside pitch against UMass) aren't exactly your stereotypical plays. I still like using Bobby Simpson and Chris Ward to work the inside of the field (though, again, to me, Ward simply does not run with enough gusto) and using Kackert for a number of short passing and outside running players. He is so quick around the corner that if he gets any space, he's gone.

As for Toman, yeah, he should really be a good one. I think he was like the 14th Rated QB in the nation on Rivals, and he should be ready to step in for Santos after this season. He's probably more talented than Ricky, but I don't know if he could possibly be as heady. I believe he's a little smaller, too.

UNH's defense WILL be improved. They have the WR threats (Boyle, Wright, Fox, Levan, Negron, Mason, O'Brien) to be a pain, still. Also, if a TE actually steps up, watch out. Here's hoping for Ronnie Strand, who we discussed awhile ago. The biggest question mark is coaching. But frankly, with the playcalls the last two years, it couldn't be much worse.

umassfan
April 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Its because hes not at UMass at the moment... he will be there come fall though.

umassfan
April 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOR maybe I know something the roster doesnt but then again thats never happened before has it? xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
April 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
so is Victor Cruz an incoming freshman? and if so how can u be so sure he will actually live up to expectations :p

umassfan
April 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
so is Victor Cruz an incoming freshman? and if so how can u be so sure he will actually live up to expectations :p
No hes been around the program a couple years just hasnt had the grades to play yet. He came in as a grey shirt and then wasnt eligable last season. From what im told... the kid is going to be crazy this season. It wont hurt that we have two other good wrs to play with him as well on top of a good running game and a payton watch QB.

Attila the Hen
April 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Maybe he could be an art major and finger paint to stay eligible.

umassfan
April 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Maybe he could be an art major and finger paint to stay eligible.
If you are refering to Baylark you better check out his artwork before you say crap.

April 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
If you are refering to Baylark you better check out his artwork before you say crap.Welcome back UMassfan! xnodx

Pageoner
April 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM
is that somewhat common practice at all in FCS?
a former co-worker of mine told me Boston Collge is all for doing that.
didnt know if schools with higher standards bent their own rules that much.

umassfan
April 9th, 2007, 02:46 AM
is that somewhat common practice at all in FCS?
a former co-worker of mine told me Boston Collge is all for doing that.
didnt know if schools with higher standards bent their own rules that much.
Well some poeple actully do major in art for a reason. Baylark did because it was a passion of his grandmothers and did it on the side for enjoyment. When he left UMass for a semester he noticed how much he enjoyed it and took it as a major for his return. He wants to work for a game company doing graphic art for sports games. His work is actully pretty good.

Cleets
April 9th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Well some poeple actully do major in art for a reason. Baylark did because it was a passion of his grandmothers and did it on the side for enjoyment. When he left UMass for a semester he noticed how much he enjoyed it and took it as a major for his return. He wants to work for a game company doing graphic art for sports games. His work is actully pretty good.

How is he going to have time.. won't he be getting the ball handed to him every sunday...?

he sure looked that good to me...

-

Cobblestone
April 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I just hope they go a little easier on us than they did last year. Seeing a 63-21 drubbing (xbangx) a few miles from the house is one thing but seeing it 300 miles from the house makes for a looooong day. At least I'll have a stop at Newick's to look forward to. xbeerchugx

Col Hogan
April 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
How is he going to have time.. won't he be getting the ball handed to him every sunday...?

he sure looked that good to me...

-

One would think a team will be interested in him at the next level...the Griz are happy they won't have to face him again...

But, he had a rough pro day, so the green eye-shade people say his stock has dropped...We'll see.

Col Hogan
April 9th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Oh, I forgot.

Welcome back umassfan...we need the support here!!!