PDA

View Full Version : Good Furman picture. Like to see others !!!

gofurman
December 3rd, 2018, 12:38 AM
Not Hijacking a thread. Just a proud picture. I would honestly like to see other similar pics from your stadiums. . How do they do this. Ours is on the field house. A few feet to left is something like National Champion 1988 and National Finalist 1985 2001 but that's not in picture...
anyway like to see other pictures of your stadiums similar stuff. How the hell would NDSU fit all that stuff ? LOL

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scott_Keeler/status/1068538776752975874/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Scott_Keeler/status/1068538776752975874/photo/1

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 07:39 AM
We need to raise the roof of the dome soon! xlolx
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bison-national-championship-banner-2018.jpg

https://www.bisonillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/fargodome-4.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 07:53 AM
We need to raise the roof of the dome soon! xlolx
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bison-national-championship-banner-2018.jpg

https://www.bisonillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/fargodome-4.jpg

............AH'D EXPECT DIS SHOT.......UP ON TOP UH......DUH DOME......LIKE CHURCHES...IN.....ITALY.....BRAWK!

ST_Lawson
December 3rd, 2018, 09:08 AM
Just split it into two banners...one for the DII championships and one for the FCS championships.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 09:17 AM
I think we should hang a separate banner from the roof for every natty and conference championship that the team has won.

AmsterBison
December 3rd, 2018, 09:23 AM
I think we should hang a separate banner from the roof for every natty and conference championship that the team has won.

Why don't we just remove the corner supports while we're at it? Instant outdoor football! :)

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 09:26 AM
Why don't we just remove the corner supports while we're at it? Instant outdoor football! :)Yea, but then we couldn't hang 50 banners from the roof.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 09:45 AM
Go to a canvas roof made from championship banners?:)

ST_Lawson
December 3rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Go to a canvas roof made from championship banners?:)

At this rate you could build your next stadium out of championship trophies.

fc97
December 3rd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Elon:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29655&stc=1

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 10:05 AM
Elon:

Go Fightin’ Christians!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18s3n18gsu931jpg/original.jpg

walliver
December 3rd, 2018, 11:57 AM
Wofford had a system of flying flags at the stadium, but has apparently misplaced them or chosen not to use them anymore. We have been limited by our current contract with Spartanburg High School which limits Wofford-specific markings in the stadium. SHS is building a new campus with its own stadium which may open in Fall 2019 so I suspect we will see some redecoration soon.

Interestingly, Clemson still flies their 2 SoCon Championship flags at Death Valley. Wofford has more flags than that but forgets to fly them.

Outsider1
December 3rd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Like Elon, we only have a couple of old NAIA championships. I don't think I have ever seen the banners. Our new stadium decided to do player tributes.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29656&stc=1

Hammersmith
December 3rd, 2018, 01:17 PM
Locker room area of the Fargodome. Picture is a couple years out of date.

https://gobison.com/images/2017/7/31/FB_Locker_Room_2017_Entry_Wall.jpg

JFC. 1964-1994. Conference champs three out of four years, and national champs one out of four. Of course I had to start at NDSU in 1994 at the beginning of the great drought(one conference championship in 16 years - yuck).

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 01:26 PM
Locker room area of the Fargodome. Picture is a couple years out of date.

https://gobison.com/images/2017/7/31/FB_Locker_Room_2017_Entry_Wall.jpg

JFC. 1964-1994. Conference champs three out of four years, and national champs one out of four. Of course I had to start at NDSU in 1994 at the beginning of the great drought(one conference championship in 16 years - yuck).

.....LOOKS LIKE...UH....BANK VAULT.......AWK!

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2018, 01:44 PM
Go Fightin’ Christians!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18s3n18gsu931jpg/original.jpg

One of our Wofford buddies at the game a few weeks ago asked an Elon fan if they knew that they used to be the fighting Christians. His response?

"WE STILL ARE"

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 01:46 PM
One of our Wofford buddies at the game a few weeks ago asked an Elon fan if they knew that they used to be the fighting Christians. His response?

"WE STILL ARE"Nope. He lied....they are now the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 01:57 PM

"WE STILL ARE"

.....YOUSE PICKED...DUH ONE GUY..IN DUH STANDS.....WHIFF DEMENTIA....OR.....AN' OL'......SWEATSHIRT......xdontknowxxdontknowx....B RAWK!

Outsider1
December 3rd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Nope. He lied....they are now the Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians

That was actually a cool bit of history.

Model Citizen
December 3rd, 2018, 03:04 PM
How many FCS stadiums have a bowl design, with the playing field and lower level seats below street level?

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 03:40 PM
How many FCS stadiums have a bowl design, with the playing field and lower level seats below street level?NDSU does but it is not a stadium, it is a dome.

fc97
December 3rd, 2018, 03:52 PM
For better or worse on the size, Elon's stadium lower portion is below street level.

And I'm a Fightin' Christian, see the FC in the name

Outsider1
December 3rd, 2018, 04:12 PM
How many FCS stadiums have a bowl design, with the playing field and lower level seats below street level?

Our field is only a few feet below street level because of the water table, but with the berm and seating it has a bowl feel to it.

semobison
December 3rd, 2018, 04:28 PM
NDSU does but it is not a stadium, it is a dome.

Yep, the floor and field are below street level. It actually flooded once.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 05:06 PM

You may be a Fighter & you may be a Christian, but as a current Elon Fan, I just don’t understand how you can be a “Fightin’ Christian.” Your school elected to rid itself of that name and it would seem to FUBeAR that you would have to accept the replacement name or disavow your support of their Athletics programs, unless they change it back.

Along similar lines, I believe Holy Cross is presently distancing itself from their “Crusaders” name and/or the associated imagery of a knight in armor, so as not to offend anyone that might be offended by such.

Well, Count Palatine, Roland, the 12 Peers of Charlamagne, and their soldiers, known as Paladins, were all wrapped up in the tales of the Crusades & battling Muslims in Spain, etc. If Furman ever decided to move away from the Paladin name and/or the associated knight imagery in the name of political correctness, I believe I would have to disavow. I get the issue, but I’m fairly certain that name & imagery mean a whole lot more to the people that have worn the Purple & White in recent decades than the actual level to which they possibly may offend people who might be TRULY offended because of their association with events that occurred 1,000 or so years ago; events which do have widely varying accounts of the details surrounding them. Hopeful that I won’t live to see the day that I would be forced to make that decision.

I suppose, though, you could be a Former Fightin’ Christian and don’t, necessarily, have to adopt FUBeAR’s preferred “Formerly Fightin’ Former Christian.”

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2018, 05:11 PM
For better or worse on the size, Elon's stadium lower portion is below street level.

Is Elon still a Disciples of Christ sponsored school? Furman ditched the Southern Baptists some time ago.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 05:13 PM
Is Elon still a Disciples of Christ sponsored school? Furman ditched the South Carolina Baptists some time ago.
fyp

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2018, 05:25 PM
fyp soooo they are still connected to the Southern Baptist Convention?

fc97
December 3rd, 2018, 05:39 PM
But the whole Fightin' Christians thing came about because about 100 years ago the Greensboro paper covered the game of Guilford vs Elon being a fight between the Christians and the Quakers

gofurman
December 3rd, 2018, 05:48 PM
Wofford had a system of flying flags at the stadium, but has apparently misplaced them or chosen not to use them anymore. We have been limited by our current contract with Spartanburg High School which limits Wofford-specific markings in the stadium. SHS is building a new campus with its own stadium which may open in Fall 2019 so I suspect we will see some redecoration soon.

Interestingly, Clemson still flies their 2 SoCon Championship flags at Death Valley. Wofford has more flags than that but forgets to fly them.

Walliver, That is honestly a shame. Need to display conference championships !

Personally, I think teams should display conference champs, national titles and national-finalist...
I am torn on whether to display national semifinalist. I could see hanging a banner for that too though.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 06:23 PM
soooo they are still connected to the Southern Baptist Convention?never were.

..and, I believe, at the time of dissolution of the relationship with the SCBC, they had been providing only about 5% (or less) of FU’s operating budget for many years..and wanted 100% control.

You know what they say...if you take a Baptist fishing with you, you better take 2 of them...or the 1 will drink all the beer you bought.

(I’m thinking it may have been you that posted that joke...yes?)

Yep - pretty close - 4% - about the same amount Jerry Richardson finds in his sofa cushions every day. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville-roots/2017/05/15/furman-south-carolina-baptist-convention/99569470/

fc97
December 3rd, 2018, 06:54 PM
Is Elon still a Disciples of Christ sponsored school? Furman ditched the Southern Baptists some time ago.

Elon was a United Church of Christ school, the relationship dissolved in the early 90s.

Outsider1
December 3rd, 2018, 07:00 PM
Elon was a United Church of Christ school, the relationship dissolved in the early 90s.

Discples of Christ was a branch that grew out of the Restoration Movement along with Churches of Chrst. The United Church of Christ arose from mainline Protestant churches, mainly Lutheran churches. ACU is a school that grew out of the Churches of Christ historically although only about 25% of the student body now associates themselves with that background.

EU2000
December 3rd, 2018, 07:13 PM

"WE STILL ARE"

No...No...No.....the FIGHTIN’ Christians....

And yes, I’m still a Fightin’ Christian....don’t care what anyone says. :). Guess the FU fan will post momentarily about some semantics for like 3 pages. :)

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2018, 07:21 PM
You may be a Fighter & you may be a Christian, but as a current Elon Fan, I just don’t understand how you can be a “Fightin’ Christian.” Your school elected to rid itself of that name and it would seem to FUBeAR that you would have to accept the replacement name or disavow your support of their Athletics programs, unless they change it back.

Along similar lines, I believe Holy Cross is presently distancing itself from their “Crusaders” name and/or the associated imagery of a knight in armor, so as not to offend anyone that might be offended by such.

Well, Count Palatine, Roland, the 12 Peers of Charlamagne, and their soldiers, known as Paladins, were all wrapped up in the tales of the Crusades & battling Muslims in Spain, etc. If Furman ever decided to move away from the Paladin name and/or the associated knight imagery in the name of political correctness, I believe I would have to disavow. I get the issue, but I’m fairly certain that name & imagery mean a whole lot more to the people that have worn the Purple & White in recent decades than the actual level to which they possibly may offend people who might be TRULY offended because of their association with events that occurred 1,000 or so years ago; events which do have widely varying accounts of the details surrounding them. Hopeful that I won’t live to see the day that I would be forced to make that decision.

I suppose, though, you could be a Former Fightin’ Christian and don’t, necessarily, have to adopt FUBeAR’s preferred “Formerly Fightin’ Former Christian.”

A travesty, IMO. And "Fightin' Christians" seems equally harmless. No more a problem than "Red Raiders".

fc97
December 3rd, 2018, 07:47 PM
The Fightin' Christian wasn't dropped for PC reasons but more because they thought it was confusing to prospective students.

UpstateBison
December 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
Discples of Christ was a branch that grew out of the Restoration Movement along with Churches of Chrst. The United Church of Christ arose from mainline Protestant churches, mainly Lutheran churches. ACU is a school that grew out of the Churches of Christ historically although only about 25% of the student body now associates themselves with that background.

The Fighting Lutherans? I may have to reconsider my support of Elon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
December 3rd, 2018, 09:19 PM

Define "street level". Our campus is mostly on a hill and our football stadium is right in the middle of it...technically built in the valley of an old creek that used to run past campus back when campus didn't extend that far north. The south half of the stadium is below the level of everything around it but the north half is at ground level. You walk north out of the stadium and are pretty much level with the parking lot/tailgate area. If you're heading south, you go to the top of the home side stands, walk out from there, then head uphill just to get to the ground level of our university union.

So, I guess the answer with regards to us is a definite maybe.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 07:45 AM

......TOWSON....AH THINK.....WAS DERE.....ONCE.......WHIFF BLUEBERRY BRANDY.........AWK!

CID1990
December 4th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Elon:

I attended one of those games

They played the Pittsburgh State Gorillas or something like that

PAllen
December 4th, 2018, 09:24 AM
A travesty, IMO. And "Fightin' Christians" seems equally harmless. No more a problem than "Red Raiders".

Always wondered why Colgate chose a victim of the historic red raiders as their fluffy mascot on the sidelines.

PAllen
December 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM
......TOWSON....AH THINK.....WAS DERE.....ONCE.......WHIFF BLUEBERRY BRANDY.........AWK!

Towson's stadium is built into a steep natural ravine which is cut into a hill. The open end of the stadium is above street level, but the street goes up steeply along both sides to be even or near even with the top of the stands by the closed end.

walliver
December 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Mike Ayers Field is below street level. Most of the home side, and part of the visiting stands of Gibbs are below grade. The southeast corner of the field is at grade to promote drainage. The bowl design is very common in the Piedmont where there are lots a hills, no sand, and a deep water table. Bowls in this area tend to be incomplete bowls with at least part of the field able to drain water. It is cheaper to move dirt than pour concrete.