PDA

View Full Version : What YSU Stambaugh Stadium COULD Be!!!!

FlyYtown
April 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Here are some great drawings of a Beautifully Expanded Youngstown State Stambaugh Stadium. I've been looking for these for years, and finally found them tonight! Here's the low down on them: These were done around the early 1990s; and is what they wanted to build, but funding was lacking so they built what we have today. The good news is all of this can still be done, as the east stands have the foundation set for a major expansion, and the bowled idea is also available.

If this were to be done, would you call us the best in FCS?
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5238/sketchesstadium2lrrf8.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5729/sketchesstadium3lryp5.jpg

CopperCat
April 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Possibly. What would capacity be? Nice press boxes, btw.

FlyYtown
April 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Possibly. What would capacity be? Nice press boxes, btw.

That is only like 24,000; but the aerial diagram has a design for expansion of the east stands, so it could be around 30,000.

stuperman17
April 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yea, very very nice...and the nice thing is those press boxes and loges are already there and are very nice inside.

I would love to see this in youngstown

appfan2008
April 5th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I still like montana and there completely encircled stadium but i have seen nothing else that would be better than that in fcs football!

that would be awesome and would love to see it

Tod
April 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Wow!! xeekxxeekx

Is that still in the plans? If so, would it be for a move to FBS (say no)?

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Having you been filling up the current seating to need more?

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Last year attendance was up nearly 2000 people a game compared to 2005!!! Last year the regular season average was about 16,500. I'd have to believe attendance will be up again next year if this team can continue to win.

Note: The transfers from the FBS schools will be coming their way to Youngstown in the coming weeks; and I'm told there are some bigger names in that list.................

But anyways; right now we don't need more seating; but if we were to move to I-A; we'd likely expand somewhat.

MplsBison
April 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
The picture there still has the same 1491812412212:1 home/visitor seating ratio.

You can't be the best stadium until you fix that.

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM
With the new indoor athletic workout facility due to begin construction, this is the last piece to do before the move up in I-A.

Lets just get it done and move on. This division sucks and has too many problems. We should have been gone long ago.

Onward & upward. xnodx

downbythebeach
April 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Yea, very very nice...and the nice thing is those press boxes and loges are already there and are very nice inside.

I would love to see this in youngstown

You have luxury boxes right?
How do you get the tickets?
I wanna get some cause I am originally from Y-town area and wanna go to a game again this year.....I was at the Maine game last year where it poured....that was a good time.

jessesd
April 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
With the new indoor athletic workout facility due to begin construction, this is the last piece to do before the move up in I-A.

Lets just get it done and move on. This division sucks and has too many problems. We should have been gone long ago.

Onward & upward. xnodx

Ouch!!!

MplsBison
April 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM
With the new indoor athletic workout facility due to begin construction

Any links to what they're planning?

Anything like what Akron built?

89Hen
April 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hard to say. Still too lopsided for my liking. xtwocentsx

89Hen
April 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
We should have been gone long ago.
I thought you were gone. Too bad.

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Any links to what they're planning?

Anything like what Akron built?

Here are some facts:
-It will be built right across the street from Stambaugh, near the McDonald's and the Gas Station.
-It will not be near as nice as Akron's; which is really one of the nicest in all of Division 1 Athletics.
-All properties are purchased for this to be built, and I'd say a target for construction to be complete would be in 2010; after more $$$'s come in.

I agree Paladin, you build this, and you are already the nicest facility in the MAC when you move on up.

You have luxury boxes right?
How do you get the tickets?
I wanna get some cause I am originally from Y-town area and wanna go to a game again this year.....I was at the Maine game last year where it poured....that was a good time.

If I were you, I'd call the YSU ticket office regarding the loges. I'm almost certain that all of them are occupied; hence that is why ESPN was forced into the small little hut on the east stands last year for the playoff games. I'm up there most every game for at least a quarter, if you keep in contact come when the season begins, I may be able to hook you up.

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
BTW: Here is an idea for those unfamiliar with what we got today. This is from the JMU game!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/324448581_64bea646b3.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/34876731_bac06840a3.jpg?v=0

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The loges are sold out---------every year. They are super nice and the corporations are zealous in guarding their "fiefdoms". xlolx The food is also unbelievable !! Catered !!!

Near as I can tell, only Akron in the MAC will have a nicer facility for an indoor facility. We should exceed everyone in the MAC otherwise, Fly.

The stadium, at 30k, when done would be a class asset. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
BTW: Here is an idea for those unfamiliar with what we got today. This is from the JMU game!

Appears to be before the 4th quarter meltdown... xbawlingx

Still, it's nice to see what we looked like over there from your point of view.

As far as being the best, no way. As 89Hen said, too lopsided. I thought the best part about the stadium was the ominous facade on the big side. I do like the plans though. xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Appears to be before the 4th quarter meltdown... xbawlingx

Still, it's nice to see what we looked like over there from your point of view.

As far as being the best, no way. As 89Hen said, too lopsided. I thought the best part about the stadium was the ominous facade on the big side. I do like the plans though. xthumbsupx

This---BTW that was taken when each team came out, sadly JMU had to ruin the excitement by coming out at the exact second YSU did!!!!! LOL but it's all good.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/187721207_14c33cb1ca.jpg?v=0

nmatsen
April 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
It will still not be as nice as Montana. Sorry, I would love ot pull for the Gateway in this one but it still doesn't compare.

April 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
... this is the last piece to do before the move up in I-A...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx That's like saying you're going to move to Atlantis! NEWSFLASH: I-A doesn't exist (and 1aa never did).

BTW, YSU has won a single conference championship

Pageoner
April 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
are there even any openings in MAC football?
wasnt sure since Temple is going to be playing in the confrence this year.

April 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM
are there even any openings in MAC football?
wasnt sure since Temple is going to be playing in the confrence this year.Who cares? This is FCS discussion and not a place for FBS talk. xtwocentsx

MplsBison
April 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Yup, definitely not a place for FCS talk.

Temple is the 13th member of the MAC. Perhaps they'd take YSU as the 14th.

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
This is FCS discussion and not a place for FCS talk. xtwocentsx

You sure this isn't a place for Football Championship Subdivision Talk Ralph???
I think you mean FBS

Seawolf97
April 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM
In any event looks like a great stadium !

Grizalltheway
April 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
The picture there still has the same 1491812412212:1 home/visitor seating ratio.

You can't be the best stadium until you fix that.

Don't people realize that Montana only makes 700 or so tickets available for visitors in Wa-Griz?

Pageoner
April 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
sorry man. just a question
since someone previously mentioned YSU expanding their stadium to possibly compete in the MAC

MplsBison
April 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Don't people realize that Montana only makes 700 or so tickets available for visitors in Wa-Griz?

Ticket sales have nothing to do with one grandstand being 3000 times larger than the opposite grandstand.

GoGuins
April 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
BTW, YSU has won a single conference championship

Correction, YSU is back to back GFC conference champions, I don't care if one was shared. I'm sure SIU & UNI are claiming they're the 2005 GFC champs too
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/images/gateway-champs06.jpg

GoGuins
April 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5238/sketchesstadium2lrrf8.jpg

I've seen this rendering back when the expansion of the East side took place in 1997. This was supposed to be a 2 phase project, we're just waiting for phase 2 to begin which will add seats to the east side (add & make longer stretching to the endzones), add endzone seats at the north end, & add a walkway at the south end connecting the east & west stands. If I remember right capacity would be around 30k

ucdtim17
April 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I can't believe I agree with mpls and he's making sense for once

April 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
... I don't care if one was shared. I'm sure SIU & UNI are claiming they're the 2005 GFC champs too...You mean they are implying that they won the champ and weren't TRI-champs (ie. co-champs)? xeyebrowx

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Is there any timetable on this project currently?

GaSouthern
April 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.gata.com/newpaulson5.jpg

This is where GSU was supposed to be in the 90s :(

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 06:21 PM
http://www.gata.com/newpaulson5.jpg

are there still plans for that to become a reality anytime soon???

that would be awesome to see...

do think that your attendance warrants that expansion?

crunifan
April 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Correction, YSU is back to back GFC conference champions, I don't care if one was shared. I'm sure SIU & UNI are claiming they're the 2005 GFC champs too
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/images/gateway-champs06.jpg

UNI beat the other "tri-champs" and won the auto-bid.

That makes us the real champions xlolx !

April 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
UNI beat the other "tri-champs" and won the auto-bid.
That makes us the real champions xlolx !YSU didn't even make the playoffs did they?
Kinda bad for the Gateway for YSU to say
they were "Champs" without clarification huh?

Do you think these "YSU" fans care if they embarass their league?

Kiss My Apps
April 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM

http://usera.imagecave.com/fayettenamese/Conrad_Stadium_Rendering_10_29.jpg

This is where App State was supposed to be in the 70s :(

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Looks like Ralph was wrong TWICE in the same thread. Wow... And let us embarrass the league by saying we were what we were: CONFERENCE CHAMPS FOR BACK 2 BACK YEARS Ralph. Go ahead and start criticism Ralph; we know what you think of the Penguins! Go ahead and embarrass yourself for your -sorry- posts on your own site.

Regarding the big to small side ratio. Look at this.. As you can see here, you can see the outline of an expanded East Stands, which will make it 30,000 seats. That would be PHASE II.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6774/ysuaerialcd1.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM

From all the pictures I've seen, I'd say that Princeton is still the standard bearer for FCS. And to me, the classic Yale Bowl where I have watched games, is also near the top of the FCS stadiums especially since the rehab.

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
From all the pictures I've seen, I'd say that Princeton is still the standard bearer for FCS. And to me, the classic Yale Bowl where I have watched games, is also near the top of the FCS stadiums especially since the rehab.
you must be in to the old classic stadiums... but IMO there is more to a stadium than it being a nice building... there is something to having a racous crowd that adds to the stadium and that doesnt happen at those locations

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/fayettenamese/Conrad_Stadium_Rendering_10_29.jpg

This is where App State was supposed to be in the 70s :(
well that would have been nice... but we would have never filled such a building up back then so i duess it is a good thing it wasnt built

ucdtim17
April 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
you must be in to the old classic stadiums... but IMO there is more to a stadium than it being a nice building... there is something to having a racous crowd that adds to the stadium and that doesnt happen at those locations

Princeton has a new stadium

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Princeton has a new stadium

Yep and I betcha if they scheduled Delaware it would be pretty raucous in there!!

And 55K in the Yale Bowl for the Harvard game a couple of years ago was pretty cool too! I've been at UConn-Yale games there with 35K that were outstanding experiences with great tailgating to boot! Yale Bowl is an awesome place to watch a football game! Wasn't the LA Coliseum or the Rose Bowl designed to be a larger version of Yale Bowl?

But in reality I thought the discussion was about the stadiums themselves rather than the total experience. I thought that was what Fly meant. xconfusedx

April 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Looks like Ralph was wrong TWICE in the same thread...Let me know when you learn to count.

2005 - co-tri-champ - no playoffs (woofed)
2006 - first outright conference championship (which is what I meant in the first place) - playoffs

true xrulesx

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
GoGuins -- you are correct. Seating for 30k. If I understand, the scoreboard will be moved to the south end zone and the North will add the extra seats and the walkway. The visitor side will get an upper deck.

When it was planned for phase II, it will be relatively inexpensive.

Can't wait !!xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
April 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
GoGuins -- you are correct. Seating for 30k. If I understand, the scoreboard will be moved to the south end zone and the North will add the extra seats and the walkway. The visitor side will get an upper deck.

When it was planned for phase II, it will be relatively inexpensive.

Can't wait !!xthumbsupx

I think we all want it to happen, but we need to win at least one title first. We also need for attendance to increase, and guarenteed membership in the MAC.

ucdtim17
April 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Wasn't the LA Coliseum or the Rose Bowl designed to be a larger version of Yale Bowl?

Rose Bowl:
http://www.arroyoseco.org/images/RoseBowla.gif

http://www.tailgatershandbook.com/Images/yale4.jpg

GoGuins
April 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM
You mean they are implying that they won the champ and weren't TRI-champs (ie. co-champs)? xeyebrowx

Show me where any of the 2005 GFC trophies say "Tri-champions".

The one I've seen in the YSU trophy case from the Gateway league offices just says "2005 Gateway Conference Champions", as I'm sure it says on the ones UNI & SIU have

GoGuins
April 7th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Looks like Ralph was wrong TWICE in the same thread. Wow... And let us embarrass the league by saying we were what we were: CONFERENCE CHAMPS FOR BACK 2 BACK YEARS Ralph. Go ahead and start criticism Ralph; we know what you think of the Penguins! Go ahead and embarrass yourself for your -sorry- posts on your own site.

Regarding the big to small side ratio. Look at this.. As you can see here, you can see the outline of an expanded East Stands, which will make it 30,000 seats. That would be PHASE II.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6774/ysuaerialcd1.jpg

No need to criticize Ralph & looking at that sketch I see Phase I was not totally completed with the endzone seats, walkway, & the ends of the east stands not completed yet

We have a long way to go and I don't see it getting completed anytime soon

April 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM

The one I've seen in the YSU trophy case from the Gateway league offices just says "2005 Gateway Conference Champions", as I'm sure it says on the ones UNI & SIU haveWell if that what it says then that's what it says!

Color me wrong!!

I have seen others that do say Co-Champions (never saw one that said Tri-Champions).

AppMan
April 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
well that would have been nice... but we would have never filled such a building up back then so i duess it is a good thing it wasnt built

That stadium was to have been completed by 1981 with a seating capacity of 26,000. During the 5 year Sparky Woods era from 1984 the 1988 we had six 20,000+ crowds with 25,301 being the largest and many more in the high 18-19,000 range. In 1986 alone we had three crowds in excess of 20,000 (a high of 22,600).

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 08:59 AM
That stadium was to have been completed by 1981 with a seating capacity of 26,000. During the 5 year Sparky Woods era from 1984 the 1988 we had six 20,000+ crowds with 25,301 being the largest and many more in the high 18-19,000 range. In 1986 alone we had three crowds in excess of 20,000 (a high of 22,600).
sounds almost like todays attendance... too bad it wasnt continued from then today...

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Rose Bowl:
http://www.arroyoseco.org/images/RoseBowla.gif

http://www.tailgatershandbook.com/Images/yale4.jpg
those look like they were designed the same way to me

AppMan
April 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
sounds almost like todays attendance... too bad it wasnt continued from then today...

The problem was our program was Laneyized for 14 years.

GeauxColonels
April 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Regardless of all this talk about champs, co-champs and tri-champs, it would be one hell of a stadium if they could make it happen up north!

Fresno St. Alum
April 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I hope this all works out for YSU, if you can fill it then why not add to it.

pantherseeker
April 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
yea that would be a good addition to the YSU campus...but I will say this...its still one hell of a stadium as it is today!!!...I played there for YSU homecoming this past season...and I was highly impressed!

FlyYtown
April 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
yea that would be a good addition to the YSU campus...but I will say this...its still one hell of a stadium as it is today!!!...I played there for YSU homecoming this past season...and I was highly impressed!

AMEN to that... What do you guys put in your water over in that northern locker room at Stambaugh to beat us every freaking year in our place!!!!

crunifan
April 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
AMEN to that... What do you guys put in your water over in that northern locker room at Stambaugh to beat us every freaking year in our place!!!!

The real question is what substance do we put in YOUR water so we can beat you ever year at your place. xnodx

Cap'n Cat
April 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Beat Northern Iowa once there and you guys should be OK.

xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

:p :p :p :p :p :p

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The problem was our program was Laneyized for 14 years.
was that guy really that bad of an ad? i wasnt here when he was

BDK@YSU
April 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
(http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.jpg)

[IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4931/sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.jpg)

Personally, I would rather see an addition to the small side than see seating in the endzone. I like the idea of a walkway on the other side near Beeghly, though.

FlyYtown
April 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
(http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.jpg)

[IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4931/sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketchesstadium2lrrf8pq3.jpg)

Personally, I would rather see an addition to the small side than see seating in the endzone. I like the idea of a walkway on the other side near Beeghly, though.

Where did you find that picture of a two-tiered East Side?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2575/sketchesstadium2lrrf8pqfs8.jpg

If you make all this possible; you have one hell of a stadium; and THE BEST in the Mid-American Conf.

appfan2008
April 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
what is the highest capacity in the MAC

BDK@YSU
April 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I made that, fear my mad photoshopping skills... not. Look at the walkway and where it meets the stands in the bottom left. Oops, it doesn't go anywhere!

Seriously though, I would rather see some kind of concourse area there where the scoreboard currently is instead of the end zone seating, kind of similar to the Home Run Porch at Jacobs Field, or like what I would imagine would be in the open end of Heinz Field.

BDK@YSU
April 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
MAC stadium capacity ranges from 23,000 to 30,000. That doesn't include Temple, who plays at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly yet couldn't fill a hillside with people to watch a game.

Tod
April 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Where did you find that picture of a two-tiered East Side?
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2575/sketchesstadium2lrrf8pqfs8.jpg

If you make all this possible; you have one hell of a stadium; and THE BEST in the Mid-American Conf.

Make the walkway go somewhere...:p and it's a better design, IMHO.

:) :)

FlyYtown
April 8th, 2007, 11:57 PM
The 2 tier over on the east stands is kinda what we got now, with the concourse dividing each tier. I do know you could add at least 15-20 more rows of seats in the existing sections, and add 2 more sections on that side in the endzones over there.

AggiePride
April 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I love it, even the dream YSU stadium stares symmetry right in the face and gives it the finger.

nmatsen
April 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM

The one I've seen in the YSU trophy case from the Gateway league offices just says "2005 Gateway Conference Champions", as I'm sure it says on the ones UNI & SIU have

Except we were the "real" (auto-bid champions) trophies were not meant to be multiplied. If someone wins the auto-bid they should get the trophy, no way else. Even if it burned UNI once or twice I would be okay with it.

FlyYtown
April 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Except we were the "real" (auto-bid champions) trophies were not meant to be multiplied. If someone wins the auto-bid they should get the trophy, no way else. Even if it burned UNI once or twice I would be okay with it.

YSU got a trophy and a flag and a plaque from the Gateway saying they were champs. Perhaps you should go to them with your thoughts lol!

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I dont believe that last bit for one minute! i dont know you but i bet you would be right here complaining if that happened to uni

813Jag
April 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Nice Pictures! It's good to see the improvements everyone is trying to make. We should be starting ours soonxconfusedx

FlyYtown
April 10th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The only way this expansion happens is if we move to FBS. Our AD wants to move, but $7 million is holding us back right now. If we can find some better financial streams, it could happen within the next 5 years..... but I do think a championship in FCS is necessary for us to consider moving up.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
7 million for facilities or for an endowment?

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Nice Pictures! It's good to see the improvements everyone is trying to make. We should be starting ours soonxconfusedx
I really would like to see the stadiums in fcs step up and make all these plans a reality bc it is really making places like app really pretty

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
The only way this expansion happens is if we move to FBS. Our AD wants to move, but $7 million is holding us back right now. If we can find some better financial streams, it could happen within the next 5 years..... but I do think a championship in FCS is necessary for us to consider moving up.
stay here with us in fcs... we love having those youngstown folks here with us