PDA

View Full Version : 11 vs 12 game seasons next year

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 01:31 AM
Curious. After the dam hurricane and all this year .:(.. How many of your teams are playing 12 games next year?

Furman has tried for 12 but so far no one will agree to the 12th. So we have a DAM 11 game schedule with TWO FBS ... And no D2 (Granted one FBS is maybe winnable - VTech and Georgia State ... GState ain't great but would be top 15 in FCS) so as Vegas would have it that's TWO underdog games right off the bat again for my Furman guys. And Charleston Southern. So Vegas would have a 25th ranked FCS Furman as 1-2 to start unless we pull a moderate upset at G State. That doesn't allow us much room for at-large. Dam

That concerns me. I don't want to go 7-4 and see 8-4 teams selected above us just because someone backed out on us. I would would almost rather go 6-5 and not feel jobbed xdrunkyx. LOL. I could deal with that as next year may still be building a foundation...

ANYWAY. LEGIT QUESTION - please post not you entire Schedule. Just
1) Who is your team ?
2). How many games do you play next year?
3). How many of those are FBS games ??
4). How many of those are D2?

thanks ! Maybe more of you are playing 11 games than I realize... We were trying for a D2 but they backed out is word

MTfan4life
November 28th, 2018, 04:28 AM
https://i.imgur.com/B75n2el.gif

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Well, we have 12.

Towson, Elon, Charleston Southern, and Ga Tech. +8 SOCON. Pretty good schedule if you ask me.

aceinthehole
November 28th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Central Connecticut
12-game schedule
1 FBS - Eastern Michigan (MAC)
1.5 D-II - Lincoln PA (CIAA) & Merrimack (FCS Transitional)

AmsterBison
November 28th, 2018, 07:26 AM
12 for NDSU, all FCS teams.

Butler, U of North Dakota, @Delaware, and UC Davis are the non-conference games.

Looks like a pretty good schedule, especially given how young the team is going to be. Heck, even got a bye the week before conference play starts.

Thumper 76
November 28th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I’m fairly sure SDSU will have 12, the only OOC I know of though is at Minnesota and at Drake. I would imagine the other two games are home games, but I’m not sure who they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Mercer has Campbell in Macon & is at UNC to give Mack Brown an embarrassing loss in his 1st year back Coaching.

Still need 2, I guess.

Hopefully, a decent FCS at home among those 2 and I include PFL in ‘decent’ because of Mercer’s history & proximity with JaxU & Stetson. And, PC wouldn’t be a terrible choice for a home game, either - only 3.5 hours to Clinnon.

Wouldn’t mind a 2nd FBS (any ‘flavor’) for the 12th game. Or, still would love for a strong and/or well-known HBCU like NC A&T, Grambling, or FAMU to come to Macon for a game. Tallahassee is only 3 hours away. Mercer likes to recruit FL, so I could see a home & home with the Rattlers making a lot of sense.

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Central Arkansas
12 games
FBS Hawaii and FBS Western Kentucky
NO D2s

This will be year 2 of our rebuilding so I don't expect to make the playoffs due to 2 FBS schools and revamping the team.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Wofford hasn't played a 12 game season since 2002 and I hate it. If we did 12 games we would probably play 2 FBS games.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PAllen
November 28th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Well, we have 12.

Towson, Elon, Charleston Southern, and Ga Tech. +8 SOCON. Pretty good schedule if you ask me.

That is a nice schedule. Congrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Central Arkansas
12 games
NO D2s

This will be year 2 of our rebuilding so I don't expect to make the playoffs due to 2 FBS schools and revamping the team.

If you're playing Hawaii, are you allowed a 13th game?

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 08:21 AM
That is a nice schedule. Congrats.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're playing Hawaii, are you allowed a 13th game?

Heck of a question. Would be a nice chance to make an extra paycheck...hmm...xlolx

walliver
November 28th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Wofford hasn't played a 12 game season since 2002 and I hate it. If we did 12 games we would probably play 2 FBS games.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That was Mike Ayers' preference. It will be interesting to see if Josh Conklin continues that pattern. Playing 12 games in 2002 didn't help us. We went 9-3 and failed to make the playoffs. I wouldn't mind a 12 game schedule, but only if we get a bye week late in the season, and the game is somewhat interesting. I don't want to see some NAIA school for which I have to do a google search.

As for Furman's schedule, few people who know both teams would consider a win over Georgia State a big upset. GSU slipped by Kennesaw by 4 points in a game Kennesaw should have won.

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2018, 08:35 AM
The last couple of times we had 12-game seasons, we'd split a couple of easy games (usually FCS, although we did play a DII back in 2013) with a couple of FBS (Minnesota & UNLV in 2013, Wisconsin & Northwestern in 2014).

In 2019, we'll have games at North Alabama and FBS Colorado State, then home against Montana State and Tennessee Tech. All 4 of those should be potentially winnable games for us, but none will be cakewalks. TTU is probably the easiest, with Colorado State (FBS, but bad FBS) or Montana State (currently in the playoffs) being the toughest. North Alabama could be really good in a few years...I think we're hoping to catch them before they get there though.

Scheduling-wise, the TTU game is part 2 of a H&H from 2017, MT State is part 2 of a H&H from this season, and UNA is part 1 of a H&H that will be completed in 2020.

The 2 home non-conference games + 4 MVFC games = 6 home games, which is pretty good for us...we really only get that in 12-game seasons.

Gangtackle11
November 28th, 2018, 08:39 AM
11 games plus Exhibition game vs. Queens U. (Canada) in Buffalo

8 CAA games
3 OOC games (Lehigh, Bucknell, Merrimack)

Cupcake OOC schedule with annual beat down of Delaware gets Nova to 4 wins. Don’t think they will find 3 more. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2018, 08:48 AM

8 CAA games

Cupcake OOC schedule with annual beat down of Delaware gets Nova to 4 wins. Don’t think they will find 3 more. xpeacex

So how did the Redsox finally break the curse GT? When the pendulum finally swings it will swing hard...... I mean If I have to sacrifice a goat or a chicken or something I can probably make that happen

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Central Arkansas
12 games
NO D2s

I really hope all the SLC teams aren't using a 12 game season as an excuse to all schedule multiple FBS games seeing as how a 12 game season is one of the few years that we can actually get some FCS OOC games into the SLC with that damn 9 game conference schedule.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 08:56 AM
1 fbs
11fcs

Yes you're allowed a 13th if you play Hawaii

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
November 28th, 2018, 09:08 AM
As far as I can tell (with SHSU nothing is firm until it is):
11 total games
2 OOC (FBS @New Mexico, FCS @North Dakota)
9 Conference Games
No D2

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 09:13 AM
I really hope all the SLC teams aren't using a 12 game season as an excuse to all schedule multiple FBS games seeing as how a 12 game season is one of the few years that we can actually get some FCS OOC games into the SLC with that damn 9 game conference schedule.If they just ‘identified’ one of those Conference games as a non-conference game, would their schedules be no longer damnable?

kdinva
November 28th, 2018, 09:17 AM
VMI: 12}

@ Marshall and Army-West Point
host Mars Hill & Robert Morris..

8 SoCon games....

dgtw
November 28th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Jax State has gone games with:

Chattanooga 9/7
Eastern Washington 9/14
North Alabama 9/21

No FCS, but open dates on 8/31 and 11/16. I hope we get an easy game for 8/31 and keep the open on 11/16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I really hope all the SLC teams aren't using a 12 game season as an excuse to all schedule multiple FBS games seeing as how a 12 game season is one of the few years that we can actually get some FCS OOC games into the SLC with that damn 9 game conference schedule.

I think in 2 years we are going back to the 8 game conference schedule. That will leave opportunity for one FBS and two FCS. That is how it should be in my opinion. xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 09:41 AM
@ Marshall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtxbIkfDDO4&feature=youtu.be

McNeese75
November 28th, 2018, 09:48 AM
McNeese has Okie State, two SWAC teams and 9 conference games.

Gangtackle11
November 28th, 2018, 09:48 AM
So how did the Redsox finally break the curse GT? When the pendulum finally swings it will swing hard...... I mean If I have to sacrifice a goat or a chicken or something I can probably make that happen

Call Big Poppy. He may have the answer. You may want to replace “when for if” before “the pendulum.” xdrunkyx xpeacex

Bohcat
November 28th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Montana State has 12.

1 FBS @ Texas Tech
3 FCS
@ Western Illinois
SE Missouri State
Norfolk State

The only thing that disappoints me about next years schedule is we don't play EWU. I had thought that we had made an agreement that we would play each other the years we did not have conference games. I wonder if that agreement expired or what happened? I would rather play EWU than SEMS or Norfolk.

Maybe we can just buy out Western Illinois since we are so afraid to play MVFC teams??xchinscratchx

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM
If they just ‘identified’ one of those Conference games as a non-conference game, would their schedules be no longer damnable?
DAMN THEM ALL!!!!

I think in 2 years we are going back to the 8 game conference schedule. That will leave opportunity for one FBS and two FCS. That is how it should be in my opinion. xthumbsupx
Good to hear, I hope you're right.

kdinva
November 28th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Curious. After the dam hurricane and all this year .:(.. How many of your teams are playing 12 games next year?

Furman has tried for 12 but so far no one will agree to the 12th.

what about Davidson or Morehead St? not D2 but a "counter"...

MSUBobcat
November 28th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Montana State has 12.

1 FBS @ Texas Tech
3 FCS
@ Western Illinois
SE Missouri State
Norfolk State

The only thing that disappoints me about next years schedule is we don't play EWU. I had thought that we had made an agreement that we would play each other the years we did not have conference games. I wonder if that agreement expired or what happened? I would rather play EWU than SEMS or Norfolk.

Maybe we can just buy out Western Illinois since we are so afraid to play MVFC teams??xchinscratchx

I disagree. We play EWU all the time. It's fun to see teams that we don't play. That's the point of OOC games, IMO. On top of that, it increases awareness of your program (however slightly it may be) in different geographic regions of the opponents and also conference footprints which may help land a recruit down the road.

Besides that, other than maybe NSU, it appears to be a solid, challenging OOC. Let's give ourselves a shot at going 2-2 heading into conference play. xtwocentsx

kalm
November 28th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Montana State has 12.

1 FBS @ Texas Tech
3 FCS
@ Western Illinois
SE Missouri State
Norfolk State

That's a great schedule and I don't know what happened to the agreement.

EWU
@ Washington
@ JSU

Three open dates. I'm guessing we'll fill one with a DII and hopefully we can find another FCS.

Bohcat
November 28th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I disagree. We play EWU all the time. It's fun to see teams that we don't play. That's the point of OOC games, IMO. On top of that, it increases awareness of your program (however slightly it may be) in different geographic regions of the opponents and also conference footprints which may help land a recruit down the road.

Besides that, other than maybe NSU, it appears to be a solid, challenging OOC. Let's give ourselves a shot at going 2-2 heading into conference play. xtwocentsx

Let me clarify a little bit. I agree with all the points you make, I like this OOC schedule and I love playing new teams from across the country. I would love to see us play a CAA school at some point. My beef that I didn't make apparent is more with Big Sky Conference and the uneven schedule. (That is a topic that has been beaten to death). Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that.

MSUBobcat
November 28th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Let me clarify a little bit. I agree with all the points you make, I like this OOC schedule and I love playing new teams from across the country. I would love to see us play a CAA school at some point. My beef that I didn't make apparent is more with Big Sky Conference and the uneven schedule. (That is a topic that has been beaten to death). Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that.

Ahhhhhh. Yeah the conference is too damn big, but not big enough to split in 2. I think the deal is each team was given 2 "rivalry" teams that they play every year and the rest rotate. Ours are ISU and the Griz I believe. Or I could be completely making this all up. Any BSC fans that have a better recollection of how the conference planned to deal with the addition of the GW teams back in the day (and Idaho now)?

grizband
November 28th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Montana 2019 schedule (12 games)
1 FBS
3 FCS (OOC)
8 Big Sky games

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sacramento State
Eastern Washington
@Portland State
Idaho
@Montana State

Playing against 4 2018 playoff teams, plus 2 more (Monmouth and Idaho State) who were in contention until the end.

UAalum72
November 28th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Albany plays 12 games
one FBS (Central Michigan)
no D-II
OOC Bryant, @ Monmouth, Lafayette
CAA flips this year’s games

dbackjon
November 28th, 2018, 02:02 PM
NAU has 12 games

OOC:
@ Arizona (FBS)
Home vs Missouri State, @Illinois State (FCS)
Home vs WNMU (DII)

Derby City Duke
November 28th, 2018, 02:47 PM
JMU has 12:

1 FBS (West Va. in Morgantown (last time we played WVU it was at FedEx field in Landover, MD))
3 FCS (St. Francis, Morgan St., and @ Chattanooga)
8 CAA games

McNeese72
November 28th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Our out of conference games next season are Southern, Oklahoma St., and, I think, Alcorn St.

Doc

Outsider1
November 28th, 2018, 03:10 PM

So far we only have 6 games scheduled as far as I know:
4 SLC games
2 OOC FBS games 8/31 vs North TX and 11/23 vs Miss. St. (such a late date...) - are we committing the same sin as UIW??

I am hoping for a good FCS OOC game as well. In the future, I am praying the SLC goes back to an 8 game conference schedule and we can get some consistent good OOC FCS games....

McNeese72
November 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
4 SLC games
2 OOC FBS games 8/31 vs North TX and 11/23 vs Miss. St. (such a late date...) - are we committing the same sin as UIW??

I am hoping for a good FCS OOC game as well. In the future, I am praying the SLC goes back to an 8 game conference schedule and we can get some consistent good OOC FCS games....

You will have 9 conference games next season. HBU will be the SLC team with only 8 conference games the next two seasons.

The SLC is supposed to (from what I hear) go to 8 game conference schedules in 2021.

Doc

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 03:48 PM
4 SLC games

N. Texas and Miss. State- You're doing the same thing UCA is doing. Making it a year of getting a paycheck instead of going to the playoffs! xlolx

Outsider1
November 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Yep, knew the 8 conference game schedule is a ways off. At least we know we have home and aways with Southern Utah for 2020 and 2021 and PVAM in 2022 and 2023 for now.

- - - Updated - - -

N. Texas and Miss. State- You're doing the same thing UCA is doing. Making it a year of getting a paycheck instead of going to the playoffs! xlolx

For sure...

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 08:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/B75n2el.gif

I really hope that wasn't directed at me. I asked a LEGIT question seeking information that most people NOT named MTfan4life responded to amicably.

Cmon man. Just curious OOC schedules. Furman had a team decide not to play us so it appears we will be a game short again ... We are trying - from people I hear from to get someone else but no one yet fits the bill of the exact week we need - If you don't think that's a concern you haven't been paying attention to things this past year :(.

CMON MAN. I asked a legit question. No need to be snarky

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Central Arkansas
12 games
NO D2s

Yeah my Furman guys have TWO FBS but that's in an 11 game season unless someone fills the void. V Tech and Georgia State. No D2 games. 2 FBS in an 11 game schedule is BRUTAL. you can see my worry here. Word is our coach after this year is tryin' to go after slightly easier schedules as we can..

But some of these were already scheduled years in advance.

Our FBS is already set 5 years out. You know how football works

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 09:13 PM
That was Mike Ayers' preference. It will be interesting to see if Josh Conklin continues that pattern. Playing 12 games in 2002 didn't help us. We went 9-3 and failed to make the playoffs. I wouldn't mind a 12 game schedule, but only if we get a bye week late in the season, and the game is somewhat interesting. I don't want to see some NAIA school for which I have to do a google search.

As for Furman's schedule, few people who know both teams would consider a win over Georgia State a big upset. GSU slipped by Kennesaw by 4 points in a game Kennesaw should have won.

walliver, I Agree.

But it's still an FBS (top 5 FCS as they beat KSU) where we are an underdog in an ELEVEN game season. I wouldn't mind two FBS like that in a 12 game season. Look throughout nation and I Can't find many teams with two FBS teams (no matter how good) in an eleven game season. That's what gets me. Most can empathize after our hurricane deal this year.

a little frustrating

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I really hope that wasn't directed at me. I asked a LEGIT question seeking information that most people NOT named MTfan4life responded to amicably.

Cmon man. Just curious OOC schedules. Furman had a team decide not to play us so it appears we will be a game short again ... We are trying - from people I hear from to get someone else but no one yet fits the bill of the exact week we need - If you don't think that's a concern you haven't been paying attention to things this past year :(.

CMON MAN. I asked a legit question. No need to be snarkyIt's not a bad set of questions.

Having said that - there are about 3 other threads looking at future schedules that lay out basically every teams schedules and answer the questions.

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 09:34 PM
It's not a bad set of questions.

Having said that - there are about 3 other threads looking at future schedules that lay out basically every teams schedules and answer the questions.

Clenz, fair enough. Thanks. Yeah, I try to ask at least 'decent ' questions. LOL

Next year with some teams having 11 games and some having 12 the committee will be in a tough position. Ah, our FCS committee - how deep do they REALLY look at teams ??? What about teams with two FBS games in 11 or twelve game seasons. ??? Next year is the type that will create the most variance and really merit the deepest look by the committee

- - - Updated - - -

Be interested in others who know their schedules

JayJ79
November 28th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Yes you're allowed a 13th if you play Hawaii
that would require not having a bye week, would it not?

BEAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:09 AM
walliver, I Agree.

But it's still an FBS (top 5 FCS as they beat KSU) where we are an underdog in an ELEVEN game season. I wouldn't mind two FBS like that in a 12 game season. Look throughout nation and I Can't find many teams with two FBS teams (no matter how good) in an eleven game season. That's what gets me. Most can empathize after our hurricane deal this year.

a little frustrating

Eleven games with two FBS...good luck. That's almost a lock for NOT making the playoffs unless you run your conference schedule. Geez. xrotatehx

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Interesting article about scheduling issues. Specifically relating to NDSU, but obviously it's something that a lot of schools struggle with: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4535453-ndsu-changed-its-scheduling-philosophy-after-2013-montana-state-buyout

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 09:50 AM
walliver, I Agree.

a little frustrating

Not saying this is what Furman had planned since they can add a game to get to 12, but the teams that schedule 2 FBS in an 11 game season typically didn't plan on having playoff aspirations when the games were scheduled, preferring to collect some paychecks and build toward the next season. Or they scheduled an FBS that they felt fairly confident that they could win. That has to be the reasoning, because if you are building losses into 18% of your schedule AND hoping to make the playoffs, you're basically expecting to finish 1st or 2nd in your conference. Anything less puts you at the mercy of the selection committee, and Furman fans know as well as anyone how precarious that result can be.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Eleven games with two FBS...good luck. That's almost a lock for NOT making the playoffs unless you run your conference schedule. Geez. xrotatehx

Beat me to it. Gotta read to the end of the thread sometimes xembarrassedx

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Interesting article about scheduling issues. Specifically relating to NDSU, but obviously it's something that a lot of schools struggle with: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4535453-ndsu-changed-its-scheduling-philosophy-after-2013-montana-state-buyout

College football is big business these days, not a gentleman's agreement. I've stated repeatedly that I didn't like what MSU did in 2013. But as a "business", if you can pay $100k to earn $300-400k.... well don't be surprised when it happens. Hence raising the buyout conditions. Pretty common sense business decisions, IMO. I don't like how much $$$ factors in to college sports, but that's the reality of it.

Outsider1
November 29th, 2018, 10:50 AM
I think you are spot on MSUBobcat. Money will help drive the future planning/scheduling and decisions to change course... I think 8 game conference schedules and 3 game OOC schedules allow FCS schools to get both quality money games and quality fellow OOC FCS games. Years when we get an extra game just help that.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 10:58 AM
College football is big business these days, not a gentleman's agreement. I've stated repeatedly that I didn't like what MSU did in 2013. But as a "business", if you can pay $100k to earn $300-400k.... well don't be surprised when it happens. Hence raising the buyout conditions. Pretty common sense business decisions, IMO. I don't like how much $$$ factors in to college sports, but that's the reality of it.

Absolutely...I don't have a personal stake in whatever negotiations happened between NDSU and MSU regarding that scheduling stuff, so it doesn't really matter to me. I just thought it was an interesting article talking about some of the issues with scheduling in a general sense. You're right...as much as we may not like it...football is a business. You have to do what's going to work out best for the program financially.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Absolutely...I don't have a personal stake in whatever negotiations happened between NDSU and MSU regarding that scheduling stuff, so it doesn't really matter to me. I just thought it was an interesting article talking about some of the issues with scheduling in a general sense. You're right...as much as we may not like it...football is a business. You have to do what's going to work out best for the program financially.

It IS interesting where football has gone, and where it's going. To me it was a logical conclusion to a new scenario: make it a financial wash for a team to back out of your game to take an FBS game. No financial motivation, no problem. The next wave will be when an FBS needs to fill a hole in the schedule and calls up a regional FCS team and offers them $100-200k more than the buyout amount for the game they have scheduled. Start flashing enough cash and people will make unpopular decisions. I.e. GM buying back billions in stock and then closing plants; the stock buyback didn't cause the car lines to lose money and it wouldn't make sense to keep producing them at a loss, but damn it sure looks bad to the public.

ASU33
November 29th, 2018, 02:27 PM
We have 12, 2 FBS (UAB and Florida State), 2 FCS (Kennesaw State and SC State), and 1 D2 (Tuskegee)

BlueGoldAg
November 29th, 2018, 02:27 PM
UC Davis will play 12 games in 2019

One FBS game at California

3 out of conference games: at San Diego, at NDSU, home vs Lehigh

No D2 games

Go...gate
November 29th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Colgate has eleven games next year.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Colgate has eleven games next year.so...if Colgate has only 11 games & Furman only has 11 games...Do any dates line up to cash that literal 2018 rain check that Miss Florence issued to both of us?

edit: looks like colgate’s Opening is on 9/7 & FU has GaSt on that day.

Is there another open week in the Raiders schedule?

TheValleyRaider
November 29th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Colgate has eleven games next year.

Gotta think that's temporary, and that they are looking for a 12th given the option. Another Week 0 matchup maybe?

fmftballmgr
November 29th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Right Now Murray State has 11 games scheduled
We start 9/7 at Georgia
then go to Toledo
and our first home game is against Morehead State.
Our off week is not till after our 9th game.
Since we don't have a game on 8/31 we may still add a game.

nodak651
November 29th, 2018, 05:33 PM
University of North Dakota is planning on only having 11 right now, according to our AD.

Home vs Drake
Away vs NDSU
Home vs Sam Houston

Pretty good non conf schedule if you ignore UND the fact that UND is only getting paid like 100k to have an auto loss in Fargo.

I think our AD wants the extra bye week to prevent extra injuries from occurring in the extra game, and to allow time for the players to heal up. Assuming we make the playoffs, that would be very beneficial to the health of the team at the end of the year. I think it could potentially be a missed opportunity - we could defiantly use the extra money from an FBS game, but we already play NDSU, and two likely losses would not help our playoff chances, with an already difficult schedule. I think not playing an away game as the front end of a home could be a missed opportunity, as UND will have another season with only 5 home games, or we will have to shell out $$$ to bring someone in the Alerus.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2018, 06:13 PM
University of North Dakota is planning on only having 11 right now, according to our AD.

Home vs Drake
Away vs NDSU
Home vs Sam Houston

Pretty good non conf schedule if you ignore UND the fact that UND is only getting paid like 100k to have an auto loss in Fargo.

I think our AD wants the extra bye week to prevent extra injuries from occurring in the extra game, and to allow time for the players to heal up. Assuming we make the playoffs, that would be very beneficial to the health of the team at the end of the year. I think it could potentially be a missed opportunity - we could defiantly use the extra money from an FBS game, but we already play NDSU, and two likely losses would not help our playoff chances, with an already difficult schedule. I think not playing an away game as the front end of a home could be a missed opportunity, as UND will have another season with only 5 home games, or we will have to shell out $$$ to bring someone in the Alerus.

Wouldn't Bubba make the call on a 12th game?

With a new OC, you would think a nice cupcake game at home would help iron out some wrinkles with the new guy (Freund).

NDSU loses a ton of starters for next year plus Trey Lance (QB) will have growing pains in the passing game. The Bison will be good but it might take a few games for them to figure it out. A game this year would have been a total blowout but next year is the year to catch NDSU IMO.....because in '20 they will win it again.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2018, 10:18 PM
so...if Colgate has only 11 games & Furman only has 11 games...Do any dates line up to cash that literal 2018 rain check that Miss Florence issued to both of us?

edit: looks like colgate’s Opening is on 9/7 & FU has GaSt on that day.

Is there another open week in the Raiders schedule?

Sounds good to me.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Gotta think that's temporary, and that they are looking for a 12th given the option. Another Week 0 matchup maybe?

Make-up with Furman, or if that does not work, might be nice if we could play Rutgers (though the Big Ten would probably say no). That is a very old Colgate football series, dating back to 1933.

gofurman
November 29th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Right Now Murray State has 11 games scheduled
We start 9/7 at Georgia
then go to Toledo
and our first home game is against Morehead State.
Our off week is not till after our 9th game.
Since we don't have a game on 8/31 we may still add a game.

That's Tough. Eleven games with two FBS

gofurman
November 30th, 2018, 12:31 AM
Not saying this is what Furman had planned since they can add a game to get to 12, but the teams that schedule 2 FBS in an 11 game season typically didn't plan on having playoff aspirations when the games were scheduled, preferring to collect some paychecks and build toward the next season. Or they scheduled an FBS that they felt fairly confident that they could win. That has to be the reasoning, because if you are building losses into 18% of your schedule AND hoping to make the playoffs, you're basically expecting to finish 1st or 2nd in your conference. Anything less puts you at the mercy of the selection committee, and Furman fans know as well as anyone how precarious that result can be.

MSU. Right - you get it. unfortunately that is NOT what we intended. Dam if an OOC FCS school didn't back out of a game with us next year !!! !-)-(!!!

So so here we have a team (Furman). that made playoffs in 2017 and won a playoff game over Elon.
Then we Won the SoCon this year in 2018 (tri-champs) and we all wonder if maybe we should have been selected.
Now for 2019 I have a dreadful feeling. We are one of only three or so FCS teams I know of that have TWO FBS games among only ELEVEN game schedule. Because We had an FCS team back out.

I just want want the same fair shot as everyone else. I.E. some will say "just go win your conference ".... Um, in the CAA you can come in freakin 6th and still get in. I.E. other teams get a shot at auto-bid AND an at-large (as it should be). I can see this setting up for another 7-4 vs 8-4 debate. All because another team (If you want to know who it's on gopaladins.com) wouldn't commit - again, out of our control

we are TRYING to get a 12th game but so far no takers as the team we thought we had backed out late. Appears. Won't get the 12th game. . We may be stuck with your scenario - a scenario that is usually reserved for those with NO playoff aspirations

we aren't world beaters but we are playoff contenders /possible and I could see it getting dicey because Of our schedule. Which stinks for fans and coaches and PLAYERS. especially senior players !!! Would you agree ?

fmftballmgr
November 30th, 2018, 09:43 AM
That's Tough. Eleven games with two FBS

And no other FCS scholarship team except for OVC games.

I like our schedule last year with 2 OOC with FCS team and 1 money game

Part of that was because our former AD would help out the basketball team with football pay games instead of having the basketball team take high paying money games. It is ok for the football team, girls basketball etc take an ass whipping for a paycheck but not the precious men's basketball team

melloware13
November 30th, 2018, 11:50 AM
that would require not having a bye week, would it not?
Or playing a Week 0 game, like Duquesne did this year

nodak651
November 30th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't Bubba make the call on a 12th game?

With a new OC, you would think a nice cupcake game at home would help iron out some wrinkles with the new guy (Freund).

NDSU loses a ton of starters for next year plus Trey Lance (QB) will have growing pains in the passing game. The Bison will be good but it might take a few games for them to figure it out. A game this year would have been a total blowout but next year is the year to catch NDSU IMO.....because in '20 they will win it again.

Yeah you're probably right. I heard our AD talking about it on a podcast, and I think he referred to a conversation that he had with BUbba, but that's why I said AD even though it is Bubba's choice. Our AD also said that SDSU was also looking at having an 11 game schedule, not sure if the two parties have talked or not, but it's curious that he mentioned them by name. I know an SDSU fan said that they will prob have a 12th game, though.

As far as the NDSU game, I agree that it's defiantly a good year to play you guys. And it will be early in the season for the younger guys. NDSU will only have one game of film on our new OC, too. I still think we get blown out, unless our QB game improves. Hopefully Boltman is good enough to steal the job from Keaton, but then that will only be his second game. Keaton just was not good enough this year.

TheValleyRaider
November 30th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Make-up with Furman, or if that does not work, might be nice if we could play Rutgers (though the Big Ten would probably say no). That is a very old Colgate football series, dating back to 1933.

We've already got Air Force on the schedule, so can't imagine they'd want another FBS (even if it is Rutgers)

McNeese72
December 1st, 2018, 08:43 AM
Realized earlier this week that next season we will be playing both teams in this year's SWAC championship game.

Gangtackle11
December 1st, 2018, 08:58 AM
Question:
So what do you do when your head coach replaces a legend and goes 5-6 his 1st 2 seasons?

The Answer:
1. You drop the FBS opponent
2. You schedule 11 games
3. You schedule Merrimack (to go with Bucknell & Lehigh)
4. You schedule a 8/31 exhibition game (FBS pay day) vs. Queens U. of Canada

smh. xpeacex

Derby City Duke
December 3rd, 2018, 12:06 PM
Question:
So what do you do when your head coach replaces a legend and goes 5-6 his 1st 2 seasons?

The Answer:
1. You drop the FBS opponent (that you beat)
2. You schedule 11 games

smh. xpeacex

FYP

Anthony215
December 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM

8 CAA games

Oh you of little faith I think Nova will win 6-8 games next year they need to get the QB spot settled and figure out a better defensive scheme from letting teams score so many points lol. I see Delaware game being the swing between a .500 season or better and I also have read elsewhere they're negotiating for a FBS game next year as well. We know it won't be Temple since they have Bucknell visiting the Linc so maybe it'll be a Sun Belt team or MAC team.

Anthony215
December 3rd, 2018, 01:30 PM
Question:

The Answer:
1. You drop the FBS opponent
2. You schedule 11 games

smh. xpeacex

The exhibition game against the Canadian school puzzles me it's not like they're trying to attract future recruits from Canada it's a waste of a game when you could get $200-400k easily on a FBS payday game even if you had to bus it to Ohio to a MAC school or up north to UMASS who is always looking for games. Liberty is conference free and needs games as well but a Canadian university in a game that doesn't count makes 0 sense at all, players stats won't count so they're playing for what?????