PDA

View Full Version : Southland Playoff Teams

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
We have threads for the specific games, but I thought a dedicated thread for Southland teams might be interesting. Here's hoping it is not hijacked by trolls.

I think the Southland's best chance of winning is Nicholls over San Diego. They are big and strong in the trenches and have played a tougher schedule. I think Lamar gives UNI all it can handle. They have been the best Southland team the second half of the season. I'm hoping UIW doesn't have the deer in the headlights meltdown. I'm worried they might have trouble with MSU. But, if they can score early and lose the nerves, they can hang with their offense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2018, 11:06 AM
IMO, Nicholls probably beats USD but beating EWU in Cheney is a huge challenge.

Lamar and UIW lose their 1st round games.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2018, 11:10 AM
I originally thought Lamar had the toughest challenge (playing in the dome) but UIW without Copeland is going to have to really step up to make a game of it.

Nicholls should win and if hitting on all cylinders they could be a though out for anyone in the future.

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
IMO, Nicholls probably beats USD but beating EWU in Cheney is a huge challenge.

Lamar and UIW lose their 1st round games.

Agree on Nicholls v. EWU. EWU looks really good this year and it's tough to play in Cheney.

I think most people are underestimating Lamar. They are big and have some good speed. In my opinion they are built more like an MVFC team than a Southland team.

UIW will have to have a lot of things break their way. Probably won't happen.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
I think Nicholls has a better chance at an upset than a lot of people are willing to give them.

That said, it will undeniably be a huge undertaking and Nicholls won't be favored nor should they be.

I think Nicholls is the only SLC team in round two.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2018, 11:56 AM
Agree on Nicholls v. EWU. EWU looks really good this year and it's tough to play in Cheney.

I think most people are underestimating Lamar. They are big and have some good speed. In my opinion they are built more like an MVFC team than a Southland team.

UIW will have to have a lot of things break their way. Probably won't happen.

I noticed that Lamar has 27 transfers, not all FBS dropdowns, it that normal for them?

I could be wrong about Lamar but I think UNI, if they play to their potential, beats Lamar handily.

But the game is not played on paper.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
If Lamar's strength is the run game I think they are in for a long day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2018, 01:05 PM
I think Nicholls has a better chance at an upset than a lot of people are willing to give them.

That said, it will undeniably be a huge undertaking and Nicholls won't be favored nor should they be.

I think Nicholls is the only SLC team in round two.

If the weather isn't too ridiculous I give Nicholls a shot against EWU. This is a really good NSU team that challenged themselves in the OOC and kicked butt down the stretch.

I give San Diego a good amount of respect given their winning culture. The Toreros will make Nicholls work for but in the end SD loses by 14-20 points.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2018, 01:27 PM
UNI could absolutely lose to Lamar, nothing the UNI football does will surprise me. I am going to watch this game but an upset wouldn't shock me at all.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2018, 02:18 PM
I will say what I have said in other threads: just because one may perceive these bubble teams are worse as others doesn't mean they are incapable of winning.

Nicholls has the best chance to advance past the sound of 16. Incarnate Word has a good chance against Montana State (who was also on the bubble). The Big Sky traditionally drops one unexpectedly and I think Montana State has got to be in the top two most likely.

I have less confidence in Lamar but they are on a relative hot streak and should be taken seriously as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bison56
November 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
UNI could absolutely lose to Lamar, nothing the UNI football does will surprise me. I am going to watch this game but an upset wouldn't shock me at all.

I second this, as soon as it looks like UNI has it all rolling they crap themselves.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2018, 04:08 PM
If the weather isn't too ridiculous I give Nicholls a shot against EWU. This is a really good NSU team that challenged themselves in the OOC and kicked butt down the stretch.

I give San Diego a good amount of respect given their winning culture. The Toreros will make Nicholls work for but in the end SD loses by 14-20 points.

I don't understand the logic here. If Nichols doesn't beat San Diego by 30 they have no chance on the red turf. However I do expect them to win big an at least complete .

katss07
November 22nd, 2018, 08:01 PM
All in all, UIW with no Copeland isn’t scary and would lose to just about anyone in the playoffs. I’ll still be rooting for them to pull an upset.

My head says UNI but my heart says Lamar has a shot. I don’t like the Cardinals really but hope they put in a good showing for the SLC.

Nicholls should beat SD, but a date with EWU would be a tough matchup. Two power football teams going at it. Not sure if the Colonels would hang with the Eags on the red. But thats another story for another day. Focus on Lawrence and USD.

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2018, 11:13 PM
Overall, the Southland is down but Nicholls is good enough to make a run if they play well and get a break or two. That said, I think the league goes 1-3, with Nicholls beating USD and losing at EWU. UIW with a healthy Copeland would have been a threat to Montana St -- still may be -- but don't see them winning backup QB who was starter last year. Lamar overachieved and had a great second half but can't see them staying on the field with UNI. Bad match up for them.

Thumper 76
November 22nd, 2018, 11:48 PM
I think Southland fans are feeling themselves a bit much this year, but hell why wouldn’t you when you get in as many teams as the MVFC. Seems to me their teams that were dragging the conference down are up but their top end teams are way down. If the top end programs get themselves together the Southland could be real good in a couple years. I just don’t think the conference is there yet. They probably go 1-3 and honestly I think it will probably be three big losses with a win over San Diego. Looking forward to getting a Southland team up in Brookings in the future playoffs. SDSU still owes McNeese for the triple OT loss they handed us on Hobo Day a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
November 23rd, 2018, 01:04 AM
I think Southland fans are feeling themselves a bit much this year, but hell why wouldn’t you when you get in as many teams as the MVFC. Seems to me their teams that were dragging the conference down are up but their top end teams are way down. If the top end programs get themselves together the Southland could be real good in a couple years. I just don’t think the conference is there yet. They probably go 1-3 and honestly I think it will probably be three big losses with a win over San Diego. Looking forward to getting a Southland team up in Brookings in the future playoffs. SDSU still owes McNeese for the triple OT loss they handed us on Hobo Day a while back.

The Southland is middle heavy right now. What has been the bottom (minus HBU) has improved while the others either struggled with injuries, underachieved or were simply going through a down cycle. This Nicholls team would be plenty solid in any year, but they were a two-loss champion. The Southland hasn't had a two-loss champion since at least 1995, which is as far back as I could pull up the records. UIW made big improvement due to an innovative young coach, with an explosive offensive scheme, and a talented true freshman QB. They also recruited pretty well in the previous two years under the old staff and have surprisingly good talent in spots. It's a shame they won't be at full strength on Saturday. We played Lamar early in the year and at the time we played them, they were probably the worst team we played all year. But they made drastic improvements and were a completely different team by year's end. I still think they'll be overmatched at UNI but they earned their way into the playoffs in my opinion. Hat's off to them.

McNeese75
November 23rd, 2018, 10:39 PM

That was a great game and a fun trip with Hobo Days.

Daytripper
November 24th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Southland goes 1-2 in the first round. Pretty much what was predicted. None of the teams embarrassed themselves. Nicholl did what Nicholls does...out-muscle teams over the course of the game. UIW hung with MSU for three quarters but missed their starting QB.... In all honesty, Lamar should have won that gave v. UNI. Turnovers and bad kicking cost them the game. The Southland will be very interesting next year.

Edit: Thanks PODKnows

POD Knows
November 24th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Southland goes 1-2 in the first round. Pretty much what was predicted. None of the teams embarrassed themselves. Nicholl did what Nicholls does...out-muscle teams over the course of the game. UIW hung with MSU for three quarters but missed their starting QB.... In all honesty, Lamar should have won that gave v. UNI. Turnovers and bad kicking cost them the game. The Southland will be very interesting next year.FYP, they were 1-2

McNeese72
November 24th, 2018, 09:13 PM
SDSU still owes McNeese for the triple OT loss they handed us on Hobo Day a while back.

Wait, that game was payback for the Black Cat Game in Lake Charles in 2006. Everything was going good for McNeese until early in the second half when a black cat ran across the field. And then everything started going wrong and you came back to beat us. We are even now.

Doc

Thumper 76
November 24th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Wait, that game was payback for the Black Cat Game in Lake Charles in 2006. Everything was going good for McNeese until early in the second half when a black cat ran across the field. And then everything started going wrong and you came back to beat us. We are even now.

Doc

I don’t remember it, so it doesn’t count. We still owe you :D xcoffeex

Hood
November 25th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Nicholls fan base on here (apparently, me) appreciates the fellow Southland conference fans' support.

Hoping the team is more than "happy to be here" next week and gives a good game. Realistically I hope the snow doesn't cover the red turf so that the blood isn't obvious.

Daytripper
November 25th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Nicholls fan base on here (apparently, me) appreciates the fellow Southland conference fans' support.

Hoping the team is more than "happy to be here" next week and gives a good game. Realistically I hope the snow doesn't cover the red turf so that the blood isn't obvious.

Good luck in Cheney. It's a tough place to play but they can be beaten there. You are going to have to score a lot of points, though...

Daytripper
November 26th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Okay, Nicholls. It's on you to make a good showing. The formula for winning against EWU is, I think, to score on every possession and force EWU into turnovers and/or field goals. The entire Southland Conference is rooting for you.

bwbear
November 26th, 2018, 10:36 AM
2 years ago I watched UCA take an early 14-0 lead on EWU. Then EWU showed up to play and shut us down offensively.

Don't be like the UCA team that year. Go Nicholls!

Hood
November 26th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Don't be like the UCA
Fixed it for you before angry troll shows up :D

Outsider1
November 26th, 2018, 03:16 PM

I think you guys do have a chance, but it won't be easy. I hope you can get up there early and start getting acclimated. I also hope you guys are still healthy.

katss07
November 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Good luck Colonels! It’s different seeing NSU in this position instead of Sam Houston, UCA, McNe...oh.

Roos is a tough place to play but Nicholls is playing good ball right now. Go make us proud!