PDA

View Full Version : weather

clawman
November 22nd, 2018, 03:04 AM
If your playoff game is outdoors what is the weather forecast? Could it have an affect on your game?

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2018, 05:05 AM
If your playoff game is outdoors what is the weather forecast? Could it have an affect on your game?

https://weather.com/
https://www.wunderground.com/
https://darksky.net/
https://www.accuweather.com/

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2018, 06:54 AM
..........IN....DUH BURG.......RAIN........WHIFF UH CHANCE...UH A$$-KICKIN'.......(OURAH OWN)......xbawlingx......BRAWK!

UpstateBison
November 22nd, 2018, 07:28 AM
Rain ending at noon with a high of 50 in Spartanburg for Elon/Wofford game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2018, 07:57 AM
Good thing some of the games, particularly Duquesne/Towson and Delaware/James Madison, aren't being played today (Thursday 11/22); it is projected to be one of the coldest Thanksgiving days ever in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

(I'll note however that various high schools in that part of the country do play rivalry games on Thanksgiving, so hopefully those players, coaches, families, and friends can stay warm during the games.)

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 08:43 AM
Supposed to be partly cloudy and 60 in Jacksonville at kickoff.

So no, I don't think weather will be a factor.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2018, 08:44 AM
(I'll note however that various high schools in that part of the country do play rivalry games on Thanksgiving, so hopefully those players, coaches, families, and friends can stay warm during the games.)
Do they not have state football playoffs for high schools in that part of the country?

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2018, 09:23 AM
Do they not have state football playoffs for high schools in that part of the country?

They do, but many schools who do have Thanksgiving Day games (and only some schools do, though it isn't a nominal number) choose to play their rivalry games even if they qualify for the playoffs. There have been schools that have played a rivalry game on a Thursday (Thanksgiving) and a state playoff game two days later on a Saturday.

Probably the biggest high school Thanksgiving Day game in my original neck of the woods, one that has received national recognition in the past, is the Easton/Phillipsburg game. The two schools, located directly across the Delaware River from one another in Pennsylvania (Easton) and New Jersey (Phillipsburg), always play their game at Lafayette's Fisher Stadium in Easton due to that stadium's larger capacity relative to both schools' high school fields.

dewey
November 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
Supposed to be partly cloudy and 60 in Jacksonville at kickoff.

So no, I don't think weather will be a factor.

Sounds like a beautiful day for football.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2018, 09:45 AM
Sounds like a beautiful day for football.

Dewey
Oh yeah. Then we get sent to the Arctic Circle if we win. Lol

cx500d
November 22nd, 2018, 09:55 AM
Oh yeah. Then we get sent to the Arctic Circle if we win. Lol
I watched some of that Colgate wiu playoff game on YouTube....I hope it’s like that again

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 22nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
In Connecticut, many of the traditional Thanksgiving games were moved to last night because of the cold weather today. Those decisions got mixed reviews. A HS football game is part of the tradition for many families in Southern New England and the Middle Atlantic. These games are usually against a cross town school or next town over rival and draw large crowds. When I found out that there is no similar tradition down South or in the Southwest where football is religion, I found it ironic that our area that is viewed as so pro sports centric and ambivalent to football has such a huge Thanksgiving football tradition. And when told the HS teams were in playoffs by then, I didn't understand why the regions with warmer weather started playoffs so soon. Up here you don't mess with the Thanksgiving Day HS games!

I grew up in Hartford where there are three public high schools and my school was the odd man out. We kind of had a revolving door of opponents on Thanksgiving or we just didn't play. So, these games were never really part of my tradition. My Mom grew up in a town north of Boston and her HS played the arch-rival town across the river on Thanksgiving every year since the late 1800's IIRC. Her brother went to every game during his life and knew the history and the players from the many decades. Dinner and family gatherings were always after the 10:00 kick off game! That was non negotiable!!!!

In CT we have four classifications for HS Football playoffs. The Quarterfinal rounds will be 11/26, the semis on 12/2 and the championships on 12/8. The games are all played on fields with artificial turf for easier clean up from any winter weather. That weather is just dealt with, never a reason to not have playoffs. Massachusetts starts their playoffs before Thanksgiving, has the huge rivalry game then returns to playoff action. IMHO, it has bastardized the regular season because the rivalry games aren't part of playoff qualification and fewer games are played before their playoffs begin. The schools that don't make the playoffs play each other so every school still gets their full regular season. School doesn't start as early up here so the Fall sports season doesn't start as early as down South.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2018, 11:49 AM
I watched some of that Colgate wiu playoff game on YouTube....I hope it’s like that again

The week before against UMass was a treat too! The UMass bus got stuck on the way to the game. That was just was bad as WIU. The extended forecast definitely has snow in play for the end of next week. Temps figure to be in the upper 20s, low 30s with snow being possible. I'm going so long as it's not snowing...lol. I had a membership at Colgate's Seven Oaks Golf Club a couple of years ago and spend a lot of time in CNY as it is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaKjOcLIUAA9fdJ.jpg

Weather for Montana State-IW looks reasonable. I still keep Bozeman as one my weather favorites for old times sake. Montana weather can weird. Generally winters aren't bad (sunny lots of 20s and 30s) but when crap hits the fan it gets ugly.