PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes for Different Folks

blackfordpu
July 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
This is an article from the Huntsville Item talking about how different teams go different routes to get ready for the season in scheduling non-conference teams. Last season SHSU played two D-II teams and #1 Montana to get ready for the season. This year we play two I-A teams in Houston and Texas Tech. Pretty interesting article.

A good schedule goes a long way
By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

When it comes to scheduling nonconference games, football coaches all have the same opinion - play the teams that will help your squad get ready for the conference slate.

But the way each coach chooses to do that greatly varies. Last year, Sam Houston State played a pair of Division II teams, Division I-AA No. 1 ranked Montana and cruised to a 9-2 regular season record and a run to the semifinals in the I-AA playoffs.

Northwestern State took a little bit of a different route to the playoffs, opening with Division I-A Louisiana-Lafayette and also playing against perennial I-AA power Appalachian State. They finished the year 8-3 and were bounced from the playoffs in the first round by Montana.

full story: http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/29/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt