PDA

View Full Version : Comparing The Bubble Teams

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Furman: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(hurricane canceled game)
Top 25 wins - #15 Wofford
Worst loss - (6-5) Samfrod

Incarnate Word: (4 losses)(2 FBS losses)(canceled game on own volition)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (7-4) Lamar

UNI: (5 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU
Worst loss - (4-7) Youngstown St.

SE Missouri St.: (3 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - #16 JSU
Worst loss - (5-6) Murray St.

Montana St.: (4 losses)(0 FBS games)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-5) Idaho St.

Indiana St.: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-7) Missouri St.

Lamar: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - #24 Incarnate Word
Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

EKU: (4 losses)(2 FBS losses)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (5-6) Murray State

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I am assuming Elon (even with injuries) and NC A&T (with a win) will be in

hoidOfYolen
November 13th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I am assuming Elon (even with injuries) and NC A&T (with a win) will be in

I don't see how we could be in if we lose to Maine. Would the committee really allow 6 CAA teams in when one of them is 6-4?

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I don't see how we could be in if we lose to Maine. Would the committee really allow 6 CAA teams in when one of them is 6-4?

I think if you keep the score relatively close @Maine you will be in, but if blown out for the second straight week the committee could then take a closer look at your injury situation possibly

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2018, 11:03 AM
We get it; you want Furman in. At this point, I'd find it comical if you all lose to Mercer this weekend.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
We get it; you want Furman in. At this point, I'd find it comical if you all lose to Mercer this weekend.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I have never guaranteed a win
Nothing wrong with supporting my team, and that's the same thing people said when we played UTC after I compared Furman's resume to UNI (since then UNI lost to Youngstown and Furman is 2-0), nothing comical about being a football fan and talking a little ball xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 13th, 2018, 11:19 AM
I'd like to point out SEMOs worst loss is not Murray. It is EKU.

geaux_sioux
November 13th, 2018, 11:23 AM
UND has lost its 3 FCS games by a total of 13 points. One of those to a seeded Weber St.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:27 AM
UND has lost its 3 FCS games by a total of 13 points. One of those to a seeded Weber St.

You have barely won a few games as well including just recently over (4-6) Portland St., are we counting those as well

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:29 AM
I'd like to point out SEMOs worst loss is not Murray. It is EKU.

Probably a valid point, was going off records, but yeah Murray whipped EKU, but then again Murray lost to 1-9 Tenn Tech., so.....

geaux_sioux
November 13th, 2018, 11:31 AM
You have barely won a few games as well including just recently over (4-6) Portland St., are we counting those as well

Everything counts

fmftballmgr
November 13th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Probably a valid point, was going off records, but yeah Murray whipped EKU, but then again Murray lost to 1-9 Tenn Tech., so.....

and as much as I hate to admit it SIU

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:35 AM
and as much as I hate to admit it SIU

Oh right, missed that one, man SIU has been in free-fall since that first half at Ole Miss

fmftballmgr
November 13th, 2018, 11:39 AM
and if you take away the four series in a row where murray turned it over we would have put a real whopping on semo and it would not have been close, but we like to spot teams points this year

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 11:42 AM
and if you take away the four series in a row where murray turned it over we would have put a real whopping on semo and it would not have been close, but we like to spot teams points this year

True, but then we would not have that epic TD return for the game winner to watch xthumbsupx

geaux_sioux
November 13th, 2018, 11:50 AM
There’s no such thing a spotting a team points.

fmftballmgr
November 13th, 2018, 12:00 PM
There’s no such thing a spotting a team points.

ok for what ever reason we liked playing from behind

fmftballmgr
November 13th, 2018, 12:02 PM
True, but then we would not have that epic TD return for the game winner to watch xthumbsupx

and thankfully that stupid flip into the end zone did not cost us

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Furman:
Worst loss - (5-5) Samfrod

Incarnate Word:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

WIU:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) South Dakota

Idaho St.:
Top 25 wins - #25 Montana St.
Worst loss - (4-6) Cal Poly

North Dakota:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

UNI:
Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU
Worst loss - (4-6) Youngstown St.

SE Missouri St.:
Top 25 wins - #16 JSU
Worst loss - (5-5) Murray St.

Montana St.:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Idaho St.

Montana:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Portland St.

Indiana St.:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Missouri St.

I always shake my ahead when the sole ranking of "worst loss" is decided by record. By this logic, it would be worse to lose to 7-3 James Madison than 7-2 Stetson. A road loss to 6-3 Hampton looks much worse than to 5-5 Northern Iowa.

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2018, 12:08 PM

I don't mean this as smack, but what the hell happened in your game against Idalol? I consider the Griz to be a very average team at this point, and we blew the doors off their barn.

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I don't mean this as smack, but what the hell happened in your game against Idalol? I consider the Griz to be a very average team at this point, and we blew the doors off their barn.

UND couldn't close out the game. They had the ball and a 27-17 lead with less than 9 minutes to go. A blocked punt for a TD and a meticulous drive a short time later and suddenly they lost. It's funny how often in a season it will happen where Team A slaughters Team B, Team B slaughters Team C, and Team C beats Team A.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I always shake my ahead when the sole ranking of "worst loss" is decided by record. By this logic, it would be worse to lose to 7-3 James Madison than 7-2 Stetson. A road loss to 6-3 Hampton looks much worse than to 5-5 Northern Iowa.

So which worst loss that I have do you not agree with? Seeing as how none of these teams lost to Hampton

I have looked over each team, have you? Pretty sure I got them right, if not tell me specifically

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2018, 12:17 PM
UND couldn't close out the game. They had the ball and a 27-17 lead with less than 9 minutes to go. A blocked punt for a TD and a meticulous drive a short time later and suddenly they lost. It's funny how often in a season it will happen where Team A slaughters Team B, Team B slaughters Team C, and Team C beats Team A.

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking. xlolx

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I love how (some) Furman fans have been unleashed onto the rest of FCS. It's beautiful, really.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I love how (some) Furman fans have been unleashed onto the rest of FCS. It's beautiful, really.

xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 13th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Montana St.:
Top 25 wins - none

Montana:
Top 25 wins - none

Woooooo!

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Montana St.:
Top 25 wins - none

Montana:
Top 25 wins - none

Woooooo!

Chin up, we'll have one after this weekend. xlolxxthumbsupx

geaux_sioux
November 13th, 2018, 01:08 PM
It was a coaching debacle. Had the game on ice. Punt blocked for a TD and it spiraled from there. Very poor clock management. Offense was a mess. Defense played well but didn’t make the play they needed down the stretch.

Bison56
November 13th, 2018, 01:11 PM

They should start a thread about Furman getting into the playoffs.

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Furman:

Incarnate Word:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

WIU:
Top 25 wins - none

Idaho St.:

North Dakota:
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

UNI:
Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

SE Missouri St.:
Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Montana St.:
Top 25 wins - none

Montana:
Top 25 wins - none

Indiana St.:
Top 25 wins - none

Lamar should be on the list. Beat UIW head-to-head and wins over Sam Houston when they were healthier and still ranked (14), UCA (19), and could close regular season on a six game winning streak if they beat McNeese, who is somehow still ranked (22). They would finish 7-4, with a non D-I win, and an FBS loss (Texas Tech). But if other 6 win teams are on the bubble list, they should be as well.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Lamar should be on the list. Beat UIW head-to-head and wins over Sam Houston when they were healthier and still ranked (14), UCA (19), and could close regular season on a six game winning streak if they beat McNeese, who is somehow still ranked (22). They would finish 7-4, with a non D-I win, and an FBS loss (Texas Tech). But if other 6 win teams are on the bubble list, they should be as well.

I am using the AGS poll to get rankings as it is always the most accurate come playoff time, but I will add them xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
So the top 11 teams on the bubble from the AGS poll have been added, is there anyone else that should be added?

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Assuming the top 18 teams in AGS poll (not counting Princeton and Dartmouth) are basically in barring total collapse this weekend, that leaves 4 more at-large spots up for grabs for the 11 teams highlighted in this thread

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Rank
Team:
Total Points
First Place Votes
Previous Wk.

North Dakota State Bison

Eastern Washington Eagles

Kennesaw State Owls

Weber State Wildcats

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Colgate Raiders

UC Davis Aggies

James Madison Dukes

Stony Brook Seawolves

Maine Black Bears

Towson Tigers

Princeton Tigers

Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens

Elon Phoenix

Wofford Terriers

Jacksonville State Gamecocks

Nicholls State Colonels

East Tennessee State Buccaneers

Dartmouth Big Green

North Carolina A&T Aggies

Idaho State Bengals

Indiana State Sycamores

Furman Paladins

Incarnate Word Cardinals

Montana State Bobcats

ORV:

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

Lamar Cardinals

San Diego Toreros

Northern Iowa Panthers

Western Illinois Leathernecks

Montana Grizzlies

NR

Catatonic
November 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I am using the AGS poll to get rankings as it is always the most accurate come playoff time, but I will add them xthumbsupx

while you are looking at bubble teams, add Abilene Christian. ACU is the only Southland bubble team to have beaten a team currently ranked in the AGS top 25. Both Lamar and UIW lost to Nicholls, while ACU beat them 28-10. Should they win Saturday, ACU will have a 7-4 record, identical to Lamar. Like Lamar, ACU will have beaten both UCA and Sam Houston. I know you are using the AGS poll, but I’d note that Sagarin has ACU is the second strongest team in the SLC, while Massey has them behind UIW but ahead of Lamar.

The SLC is a hot mess this year. Very hard to say which teams are better as we end the season.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 02:08 PM
while you are looking at bubble teams, add Abilene Christian. ACU is the only Southland bubble team to have beaten a team currently ranked in the AGS top 25. Both Lamar and UIW lost to Nicholls, while ACU beat them 28-10. Should they win Saturday, ACU will have a 7-4 record, identical to Lamar. Like Lamar, ACU will have beaten both UCA and Sam Houston. I know you are using the AGS poll, but I’d note that Sagarin has ACU is the second strongest team in the SLC, while Massey has them behind UIW but ahead of Lamar.

The SLC is a hot mess this year. Very hard to say which teams are better as we end the season.

7-4 in the Southland will rarely, if ever, get you in the playoffs. ACU also played a D2 school.

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 02:15 PM
7-4 in the Southland will rarely, if ever, get you in the playoffs. ACU also played a D2 school.

Now why didn't any of us Cats think of that? But anyway, lots of other claims still coming up for selling teams. If we are going to keep hearing the "Southland sucks" comments forever I guess we will just stop trying altogether.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Now why didn't any of us Cats think of that? But anyway, lots of other claims still coming up for selling teams. If we are going to keep hearing the "Southland sucks" comments forever I guess we will just stop trying altogether.

I didn't say anything derogatory. It's just a fact. 9-2 McNeese didn't even get in last year.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM

I will add ACU xthumbsupx

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I didn't say anything derogatory. It's just a fact. 9-2 McNeese didn't even get in last year.

And so the people say the Southland needs to improve itself, then it does, but nothing changes....

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM
BTW, if ANY of these teams lose this weekend they will automatically be taken off the list xthumbsupx

Another spot can be opened if Bethune Cookman beats Florida A&M to send NC A&T to Celebration bowl

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I love it when one 6-4 team talks down to another 6-4 team but lost to the one common opponent the other team beat; yet the SOS is sooooo different. Some of the SOS is true...Some of it is just perception. Maybe the 9-2 McNeese team should have gotten in last year.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 02:39 PM
There is currently only 2 teams out of the lot of 12 that have a Top 25 win and do not have a lose to a team with a losing record:

Furman
SE Missouri St.

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 02:43 PM
There is currently only 2 teams out of the lot of 12 that have a Top 25 win and do not have a lose to a team with a losing record:

Furman
SE Missouri St.

Yeah, you've made your point ad nauseam......

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Come on Mercer!

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 02:47 PM

And its a strong point xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2018, 02:55 PM

The Southland is a coin-flip league this year with no dominant team. Throw out HBU and there's not much separation from top to bottom. Some teams match up better with others, some are better coached, and some play better on a given Saturday, but talent level is fairly even across the league compared to most years. Overall, I think it's better than most on this board give it credit for, but I don't see more than two bids, and if Nicholls beats us, wouldn't be shocked if only one. I suppose it depends on what happens elsewhere this weekend.

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 03:01 PM
And its a strong point xthumbsupx

It was an ok point a couple of days ago, but you personally lost it a while back. ACU ain't gettin in but if we don't we accept it and move on. Furman has had a good year, but needs to move on and let it play out instead of being obnoxious. Please Mercer, kick Furman's **** this weekend........

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2018, 03:03 PM
It was an ok point a couple of days ago, but you personally lost it a while back. ACU ain't gettin in but if we don't we accept it and move on. Furman has had a good year, but needs to move on and let it play out. instead of being obnoxious. PLease Mercer, kick Furman's **** this weekend........

Don't hold it against us.

Mercer's a pretty good team and, I think, every Mercer/Furman contest has been decided by a single score with several coming down to the final seconds. Any win there is a good win.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I love it when one 6-4 team talks down to another 6-4 team but lost to the one common opponent the other team beat; yet the SOS is sooooo different. Some of the SOS is true...Some of it is just perception. Maybe the 9-2 McNeese team should have gotten in last year.

Who is talking down to you? Not every conversation is based on the poster's school. Just general observations can be made also.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 03:15 PM
It was an ok point a couple of days ago, but you personally lost it a while back. ACU ain't gettin in but if we don't we accept it and move on. Furman has had a good year, but needs to move on and let it play out instead of being obnoxious. Please Mercer, kick Furman's **** this weekend........

That's just ridiculous, you don't like me comparing my team's resume to other teams resume's don't read it

The only one talking smack here is you by begging Mercer to kick FU's @ss, carry on

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Who is talking down to you? Not every conversation is based on the poster's school. Just general observations can be made also.

Maybe the general observations need to become less general...

Outsider1
November 13th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Mercer's a pretty good team and, I think, every Mercer/Furman contest has been decided by a single score with several coming down to the final seconds. Any win there is a good win.

Sorry PaladinFan, I got lost in the moment...

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Sorry PaladinFan, I got lost in the moment...

PalaFan is always a pushover, me not so much xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2018, 03:48 PM
PalaFan is always a pushover, me not so much xthumbsupx

I also don't disappear in the offseason.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Mercer's a pretty good team and, I think, every Mercer/Furman contest has been decided by a single score with several coming down to the final seconds. Any win there is a good win.Aw shucks...Furman is a pretty good team too.

Schism55
November 13th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Did UND-Idaho have some previous bad blood? I ask because I watched Idaho a lot this season, and they showed resolve in that game I hadn't seen from them previously.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I also don't disappear in the offseason.

xbowx

katss07
November 13th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Gamebreaker, you seem like a genuinely nice guy and all. That said if Mercer beats FU on Saturday you will never. Ever. Live it down on here.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Gamebreaker, you seem like a genuinely nice guy and all. That said if Mercer beats FU on Saturday you will never. Ever. Live it down on here.

Realistically, Furman put themselves behind the 8 ball with a miserable fourth quarter against ETSU. Don't do that, and we probably aren't even having this conversation as Furman would already have the SoCon autobid regardless of what happens against Mercer.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Realistically, Furman put themselves behind the 8 ball with a miserable fourth quarter against ETSU. Don't do that, and we probably aren't even having this conversation as Furman would already have the SoCon autobid regardless of what happens against Mercer.
...AND...

...if not for a clear recovered CIT fumble, being ruled not a fumble, and not overturned, even though the review showed it clearly was a fumble AND an ETSU OLman giving chase into the endzone after the Mercer LB that just whipped him on a StripSack & Score pass rush (scored 2 vs. 7; lost by 3), we wouldn’t be having this conversation either as Mercer would already have the SoCon autobid regardless of what happens against Furman...

2 ‘little’ plays or 1 bad quarter in 8 games can make a WORLD of difference, huh?

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Did UND-Idaho have some previous bad blood? I ask because I watched Idaho a lot this season, and they showed resolve in that game I hadn't seen from them previously.

If you read the game story the next day it was basically their super bowl. The quotes that came out were shocking. UND is nobodies super bowl...lol.

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2018, 04:42 PM
if Delaware does the unthinkable and losses to Nova, is a 7-4 Bluehen suddenly on the bubble.......

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2018, 04:43 PM
if Delaware does the unthinkable and losses to Nova, is a 7-4 Bluehen suddenly on the bubble.......
No. They are OUT! New Hampshire is in instead. You should know that.

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2018, 04:44 PM
No. They are OUT! New Hampshire is in instead. You should know that.

Truth!

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 04:45 PM

Show me where I guaranteed a win and you have a point, but I have done know such thing xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 04:47 PM

I think your 2 top 25 wins against Elon and Towson have you in regardless

katss07
November 13th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Show me where I guaranteed a win and you have a point, but I have done know such thing xthumbsupx
Not once have you guaranteed a win. But we’ve been hearing about a a hypothetical 6-4 Paladin team for how long now? It would be comical if Furman lost to the Bears.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Not once have you guaranteed a win. But we’ve been hearing about a a hypothetical 6-4 Paladin team for how long now? It would be comical if Furman lost to the Bears.

Well I guess since we were 2-4, living on the edge baby :D

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 04:55 PM
So the first impactful game that we should all be looking at is Nicholls on Thursday night, with a win they wrap up the SLC autobid

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401030223

EWU plays on Friday but they are already in win or lose

All the rest of the games of interest will be Saturday

geaux_sioux
November 13th, 2018, 06:39 PM

My personal theory is that they view us as inferior. Athlete to athlete I don’t think they respected us. It was as if they thought they were supposed to beat us.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 06:40 PM
My personal theory is that they view us as inferior. Athlete to athlete I don’t think they respected us. It was as if they thought they were supposed to beat us.

Well, look at the WRs we were running out there. My gawd

Catbooster
November 13th, 2018, 07:25 PM
In my opinion, none of the teams you listed have "earned" or "deserve" a berth in the playoffs. Since we have expanded to 24 teams, some of them will probably make it, but it's really just picking the least objectionable teams from the list of left-overs to fill the bracket. I wouldn't call any of them play-off caliber. They've all had multiple opportunities to prove they belong and have messed it up for one reason or another. So I view it more as a nice bonus if they get picked (for the last few in), but not something you can complain about too much if they don't - unless it's egregious (although I reserve the right to come here and complain if we win out and don't make it xdrunkyx).

That being said, someone has to fill those berths and I hope my team is one of them. It will let me have another tailgate party on a crisp fall day, the team will get a few extra weeks of practice, etc. And there's always the Any Given Saturday factor.

But I'll take a stab at the comparison of my team with yours. I won't spend time doing it for any of the others because I'm lazy and it doesn't matter if I "win" the argument anyway - no one here is on the selection committee.

Furman:

Montana St.:
Top 25 wins - none

Using just the information you posted, Furman has a better win and a slightly worse loss than MSU. Since I think wins are more important than losses, I'd give FU the advantage. But there's a lot more to the season than two games.

AGS has FU ranked higher, STATS and Coaches' polls have MSU higher - advantage FU since we all know AGS is a better poll. Massey and Sagarin both have MSU higher.

MSU has a higher SOS (24 vs. 28) and I'd expect that difference to grow if we both win out since Mercer (5-5) is 51 and the Griz (6-4) are 36, but there will be some effect from all the other opponents this season.

Wins:

FU - Besides the Wofford win you listed (7-3), you've beaten WCU (3-7), The Citadel (4-5), Chattanooga (6-4) and VMI (1-9). No out of conference wins, one cancelled.

MSU - WIU (MVFC, 5-5), Wagner (NEC, 3-7), PSU (4-6), Idaho (4-6), Cal-Poly (4-6), Northern Colorado (2-9).

Wins seem fairly even to me, but I'll give FU the edge since Wofford has more wins.

Losses:

FU - #2 Clemson (FBS, 10-0), #14 Elon (CAA, 6-3), #18 ETSU (8-2), ORV Samford (5-5)

MSU - #5 SDSU (MVFC, 7-2), #2 EWU (8-2), #4 WSU (8-2), #21 ISUo (6-4)

I'd argue that our losses are much less damaging than FU's. FBS Clemson is obviously an expected loss, but throw out 1 loss for both of us and compare the rest.

Bottom line, FU is 5-4, MSU is 6-4. They're pretty even IMO. I'd probably pick MSU, you'd probably pick FU. I'd say our strength of schedule tips it our way, but a fair argument can be made for either. I suspect the same could be said for half the teams in your list.

ST_Lawson
November 13th, 2018, 07:33 PM
In my opinion, none of the teams you listed have "earned" or "deserve" a berth in the playoffs. Since we have expanded to 24 teams, some of them will probably make it, but it's really just picking the least objectionable teams from the list of left-overs to fill the bracket. I wouldn't call any of them play-off caliber. They've all had multiple opportunities to prove they belong and have messed it up for one reason or another. So I view it more as a nice bonus if they get picked (for the last few in), but not something you can complain about too much if they don't - unless it's egregious (although I reserve the right to come here and complain if we win out and don't make it xdrunkyx).

That being said, someone has to fill those berths and I hope my team is one of them. It will let me have another tailgate party on a crisp fall day, the team will get a few extra weeks of practice, etc. And there's always the Any Given Saturday factor.

As a fan of another possible "borderline" team...same. We've played some good games, but haven't really done enough to have earned a playoff spot this year. If we win our last game and still get left out, I'll be a little disappointed, but not entirely surprised. There were two games that we just made a few too many mistakes to win...good playoff teams don't make those mistakes and don't lose those games. If we do get in, I'll be happy about it and hope that the season can continue for as long as possible for our fans and our players.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2018, 08:04 PM
As a fan of another possible "borderline" team...same. We've played some good games, but haven't really done enough to have earned a playoff spot this year. If we win our last game and still get left out, I'll be a little disappointed, but not entirely surprised. There were two games that we just made a few too many mistakes to win...good playoff teams don't make those mistakes and don't lose those games. If we do get in, I'll be happy about it and hope that the season can continue for as long as possible for our fans and our players.

As a fan of a borderline team, I will be the first to say that I would like to see us go back to 16 teams and cut out the nonsense of selecting the 5th and 6th best teams from a conference.

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2018, 08:25 PM
As a fan of a borderline team, I will be the first to say that I would like to see us go back to 16 teams and cut out the nonsense of selecting the 5th and 6th best teams from a conference.

I'm 60-40 on this. It's nice for the kids and fans to have more hope for an extra game or 2 and maybe even catch lightning in a bottle. But then every few years, it seems like about 8-10 cream o' the crop and a whole lotta meh. Downside is the number of auto bids. PFL and NEC would pilfer more deserving teams more than they already do.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 08:32 PM

But I'll take a stab at the comparison of my team with yours. I won't spend time doing it for any of the others because I'm lazy and it doesn't matter if I "win" the argument anyway - no one here is on the selection committee.

Using just the information you posted, Furman has a better win and a slightly worse loss than MSU. Since I think wins are more important than losses, I'd give FU the advantage. But there's a lot more to the season than two games.

AGS has FU ranked higher, STATS and Coaches' polls have MSU higher - advantage FU since we all know AGS is a better poll. Massey and Sagarin both have MSU higher.

MSU has a higher SOS (24 vs. 28) and I'd expect that difference to grow if we both win out since Mercer (5-5) is 51 and the Griz (6-4) are 36, but there will be some effect from all the other opponents this season.

Wins:

FU - Besides the Wofford win you listed (7-3), you've beaten WCU (3-7), The Citadel (4-5), Chattanooga (6-4) and VMI (1-9). No out of conference wins, one cancelled.

MSU - WIU (MVFC, 5-5), Wagner (NEC, 3-7), PSU (4-6), Idaho (4-6), Cal-Poly (4-6), Northern Colorado (2-9).

Wins seem fairly even to me, but I'll give FU the edge since Wofford has more wins.

Losses:

FU - #2 Clemson (FBS, 10-0), #14 Elon (CAA, 6-3), #18 ETSU (8-2), ORV Samford (5-5)

MSU - #5 SDSU (MVFC, 7-2), #2 EWU (8-2), #4 WSU (8-2), #21 ISUo (6-4)

I'd argue that our losses are much less damaging than FU's. FBS Clemson is obviously an expected loss, but throw out 1 loss for both of us and compare the rest.

Bottom line, FU is 5-4, MSU is 6-4. They're pretty even IMO. I'd probably pick MSU, you'd probably pick FU. I'd say our strength of schedule tips it our way, but a fair argument can be made for either. I suspect the same could be said for half the teams in your list.

I agree they are pretty even
The main thing that jumps out to me however would be the fact that Montana St. does not have a win against a team with a winning record, but who knows what the committee will be looking at most this year, impossible to say

clawman
November 13th, 2018, 10:07 PM
If Idaho State beats a top 5 Weber, they should be in before any other BSC team.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2018, 10:41 PM
I'm 60-40 on this. It's nice for the kids and fans to have more hope for an extra game or 2 and maybe even catch lightning in a bottle. But then every few years, it seems like about 8-10 cream o' the crop and a whole lotta meh. Downside is the number of auto bids. PFL and NEC would pilfer more deserving teams more than they already do.

I believe there's an NCAA rule that the number of at-larges for their postseason tournaments must be equal to or greater than the number of auto-bids. That means a minimum of 20 teams right now, and the current 24-team field is preferable to the awkward 20-team bracket that was around from 2010-12.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2018, 12:06 AM
I think your 2 top 25 wins against Elon and Towson have you in regardless

makes sense to me, best case we can make is to just beat Nova, if we lose, alot of our fans will say we dont deserve to be in anyway

Catatonic
November 14th, 2018, 04:29 AM

That being said, someone has to fill those berths and I hope my team is one of them. It will let me have another tailgate party on a crisp fall day, the team will get a few extra weeks of practice, etc. And there's always the Any Given Saturday factor

You nailed it.

I’d argue that since some bubble teams are going to get in, the committee should look for teams that have gotten better as the season has progressed. That is, they “messed up” earlier isn the season but figured out a way to overxome their early season set backs and start winning.

Those are the teams that are most likely to be the most competitive going into post season play. Which teams have the longest winning steaks against solid opposition?

SCPALADIN
November 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM

...anyone talk to chattownmocs recently?

ST_Lawson
November 14th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Right...and the NCAA obviously can't just up and decide in the last week that "you know...everyone past the seeds just really aren't that good this year, let's drop the first round". In general I do like the larger playoffs because "wohoo, more football!", so I think sticking with it is the right idea. Like you said too...every so often you'll get a team from the first round that goes deep and does really well. In 2013, New Hampshire made it to the semifinals out of the first round...Sam Houston State did it in 2014 and 2015...then Youngstown State went all the way to the championship game in 2016 as an unseeded team. So, of course, it happens, and it's pretty exciting for those teams that do. I don't know that we'll see that this year, but maybe someone will surprise everyone.

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Right...and the NCAA obviously can't just up and decide in the last week that "you know...everyone past the seeds just really aren't that good this year, let's drop the first round". In general I do like the larger playoffs because "wohoo, more football!", so I think sticking with it is the right idea. Like you said too...every so often you'll get a team from the first round that goes deep and does really well. In 2013, New Hampshire made it to the semifinals out of the first round...Sam Houston State did it in 2014 and 2015...then Youngstown State went all the way to the championship game in 2016 as an unseeded team. So, of course, it happens, and it's pretty exciting for those teams that do. I don't know that we'll see that this year, but maybe someone will surprise everyone.

100% this on all points.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Information has been updated to show total losses, FBS losses, and lower division wins

- - - Updated - - -

Furman: (4 loses)(1 FBS lose)(hurricane canceled game)

Incarnate Word: (4 loses)(2 FBS losses)(canceled game on own volition)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

WIU: (5 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - none

Idaho St.: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)

North Dakota: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Montana: (4 losses)(0 FBS games)
Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Worst loss - (4-6) NW St.

ACU: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - #17 Nicholls State
Worst loss - (2-7) SF Austin

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Furman is the only team on this list with a top 15 win (#15 Wofford) and does not have a lose to a team with a losing record
FU also did not play a lower division team and has 1 FBS lose (Clemson)

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Interesting article on UIW

Canceled game could haunt UIW playoff bid
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181113120729518715404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

BEAR
November 14th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Interesting article on UIW

Canceled game could haunt UIW playoff bid
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181113120729518715404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

They got set up with the best chance to win the SLC but were shorted by their own decision to take the paycheck game at the end of the year and cancelling the game that could have given them 7 DI wins. Don't feel sorry for them or the SLC. SLC made it so only 1 team will make it this year. This is on them. Go Nicholls. xthumbsupx This conference is so dumb.

https://media.giphy.com/media/116iSum9HFxhOU/giphy.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 12:32 PM
They got set up with the best chance to win the SLC but were shorted by their own decision to take the paycheck game at the end of the year and cancelling the game that could have given them 7 DI wins. Don't feel sorry for them or the SLC. SLC made it so only 1 team will make it this year. This is on them. Go Nicholls. xthumbsupx This conference is so dumb.

https://media.giphy.com/media/116iSum9HFxhOU/giphy.gif

True, playing 1 less conference game essentially gave them 1 free conference win

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I believe there's an NCAA rule that the number of at-larges for their postseason tournaments must be equal to or greater than the number of auto-bids. That means a minimum of 20 teams right now, and the current 24-team field is preferable to the awkward 20-team bracket that was around from 2010-12.

xthumbsupx Was not aware of that. Unless we get some conference consolidation, looks like we're stuck. Most years I don't really have an issue with the expanded bracket. This year just seems especially lackluster after about 10 teams IMO.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 02:48 PM
xthumbsupx Was not aware of that. Unless we get some conference consolidation, looks like we're stuck. Most years I don't really have an issue with the expanded bracket. This year just seems especially lackluster after about 10 teams IMO.

It is what it is, rather be one of the 24 than not

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 03:43 PM

I think 24 is fun.

-More. Football
-More practice for good-if-not-super-great teams
-Reward teams that are 'good to very good' if not top ten
-fun to see matchup we might not otherwise see
-gives fun to teams who may never compete for top slots... And if they upset a seeded team then we see that the seedlings weren't right and can consider that the next year.
-24 allows the 8 to have a bye week and be home on Thanksgivng vs a small tourney where everyone plays that week. 24 allows the top 8 a bigger advantage

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I think 24 is fun.

-More. Football
-gives fun to teams who may never compete for top slots... And if they upset a seeded team then we see that the seedlings weren't right and can consider that the next year.
-24 allows the 8 to have a bye week and be home on Thanksgivng vs a small tourney where everyone plays that week. 24 allows the top 8 a bigger advantage

I'm ok with 24 teams. This year is more of the outlier than the norm, from what we've seen so far anyway, as far as teams that have a legitimate chance of making some noise. Not saying I give the non-seeded team no chance whatsoever, just that I won't be mortgaging the house to put money on any of them.

-won't argue against more football; I'm one of those that will watch the Duck Dynasty Beard Trimmer Bowl if it's on the tube when I'm at the bar.
-more game experience (especially playoff-caliber) usually pays dividends the next year.
-can't argue against rewarding players with a chance to do something great and if nothing else, give them some lifelong memories, especially outgoing players that will never suit up again.
-love seeing out of ordinary matchups; wish there was less regionalization, but it is what it is
-everyone loves a good Cinderella story
-bye is a nice reward for a great season; just not sure giving the best teams an even bigger advantage should be seen as a good thing for the FCS as a whole (or any sport). That said, I have no issue with teams getting rewarded for all their hard work over the course of a year

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 09:21 PM
I'm ok with 24 teams. This year is more of the outlier than the norm, from what we've seen so far anyway, as far as teams that have a legitimate chance of making some noise. Not saying I give the non-seeded team no chance whatsoever, just that I won't be mortgaging the house to put money on any of them.

-won't argue against more football; I'm one of those that will watch the Duck Dynasty Beard Trimmer Bowl if it's on the tube when I'm at the bar.
-more game experience (especially playoff-caliber) usually pays dividends the next year.
-can't argue against rewarding players with a chance to do something great and if nothing else, give them some lifelong memories, especially outgoing players that will never suit up again.
-love seeing out of ordinary matchups; wish there was less regionalization, but it is what it is
-everyone loves a good Cinderella story
-bye is a nice reward for a great season; just not sure giving the best teams an even bigger advantage should be seen as a good thing for the FCS as a whole (or any sport). That said, I have no issue with teams getting rewarded for all their hard work over the course of a year

Furman and MSU fans agreeing. It can happen !

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 09:31 PM
In FAVOR of 24 teams. I think there are about 130 FCS teams. 24 teams in postseason is actually very FEW !

24/130 is 18 percent of FCS teams get a postseason

by comparison- numbers from my memory so probably wrong
12 of 32 NFL teams go to playoffs ? That's 37 %
60 FBS teams (or so) go to a bowl out of 130? That's 45% or so
Do 16 NBA teams out of 30 make the playoff? That's 50% !
Heck, NCAA MMarch madness - NOT Counting NIT etc - takes 68 out of 340. That's 20%

Apparently FCS has one of the hardest playoffs to make - so I have NO issue with 24 teams

ElCid
November 14th, 2018, 09:53 PM
In FAVOR of 24 teams. I think there are about 130 FCS teams. 24 teams in postseason is actually very FEW !

Heck, NCAA MMarch madness - NOT Counting NIT etc - takes 68 out of 340. That's 20%

Apparently FCS has one of the hardest playoffs to make - so I have NO issue with 24 teams

There are 125 FCS teams including one in transition and ineligible for playoff.

I think 24 is too many, but I can accept it. Unlike some others on here, I support the AQ from every conf. If the IVY, MEAC, and SWAC would accept it, there would be 13 AQs and 11 at large. As it is, it is 10 and 14. I guess if every conf accepted the invite, it would be good, but that they don't is the reason I think it is too many. If someone wants to go to the playoffs, teams just need to win their conf, plain and simple. It's just the way I view it. I can stand the at larges, but if it were to ever grow more, then way even play the season.

And bowls aren't the playoffs so I don't think you can compare them like that. The FBS get 4 in the playoffs, not 60.

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Furman and MSU fans agreeing. It can happen !

I've got only good experiences with Furman fans. Some friends and I scored tickets last minute to the 2006 playoff game vs Furman. They must have been some of your unsold allotment because we were right behind your fans. Great group of folks. Hopefully we were hospitable enough without rubbing it in. We were young back then..

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2018, 04:52 AM
There are 125 FCS teams including one in transition and ineligible for playoff.

I think 24 is too many, but I can accept it. Unlike some others on here, I support the AQ from every conf. If the IVY, MEAC, and SWAC would accept it, there would be 13 AQs and 11 at large. As it is, it is 10 and 14. I guess if every conf accepted the invite, it would be good, but that they don't is the reason I think it is too many. If someone wants to go to the playoffs, teams just need to win their conf, plain and simple. It's just the way I view it. I can stand the at larges, but if it were to ever grow more, then way even play the season.

And bowls aren't the playoffs so I don't think you can compare them like that. The FBS get 4 in the playoffs, not 60.

Personally, I'm in the "more the merrier" camp and would like to see 32 teams. Divide into two 16 team regionals, seed them 1-16, and let 'er rip. Division II playoffs have 28 teams, Division III has 32.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Personally, I'm in the "more the merrier" camp and would like to see 32 teams. Divide into two 16 team regionals, seed them 1-16, and let 'er rip. Division II playoffs have 28 teams, Division III has 32.

No. DII has 167 teams—34% more than FCS—and DIII has 250 teams—exactly double FCS—so expanding the FCS playoffs beyond where it is now wouldn't make much sense. I wouldn't mind going back to seeding everyone, but I'm guessing all those budget-conscious ADs would balk at that idea.

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2018, 11:29 AM
I think 24 is fun.

-More. Football
These are pretty much my thoughts on the playoffs. I especially agree about it being fun to see matchups between teams that we’d never have otherwise. And I’d add that it gives more teams something to play for and keeps more fans excited and interested in FCS football for longer.

semobison
November 15th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Even though NDSU hasn't played in the first round I have really enjoyed watching the games thanksgiving weekend. A lot of arguements here on AGS are answered that weekend and I usually get to give Big Sky fans a hard time!

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 11:51 AM
No. DII has 167 teams—34% more than FCS—and DIII has 250 teams—exactly double FCS—so expanding the FCS playoffs beyond where it is now wouldn't make much sense. I wouldn't mind going back to seeding everyone, but I'm guessing all those budget-conscious ADs would balk at that idea.

Damn, was unaware DIII was so large

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Damn, was unaware DIII was so large
Me too. Probably because D3 schools are more concentrated in other areas; there aren’t as many here in the Southeast.

ElCid
.....125 FCS -IVY'S/MOST MEACS/MOST SWACS.......APPX. 90+.....FCS....AWK!

Great point. It's 29 teams for those confs. 8 for sure, but no less than 27 or 28 if you think the MEAC and SWAC could get 1 each at large or so. So it's about 95. 24 teams is now about 25% of the available/realistic field. That's actually quite a bit.

pokefan02
I believe there will be 80 FBS teams this year playing bowl games but this is off of my foggy memory

With a little research there are 38 fbs bowl games plus the championship game so approximately 80 out of 130 play post season games

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

woffordgrad94
November 15th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I believe there will be 80 FBS teams this year playing bowl games but this is off of my foggy memory

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It’s at least that. I think there might even be over 40 bowls now. Some say that’s too many but not me...bring on the college football!

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM

That's irrelevant in my view. At 32, it's still below 30% of FCS schools (not counting Ivy and SWAC). Gives more schools a chance at postseason and keeps interest up during the regular season. We're trying to grow the sport, not kill it.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Nicholls trying to wrap up SLC autobid, game is on espn3

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401030223

Redbird 4th & short
November 15th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Agree with this but would add .... If we're stuck with all the autobids, I think 24 is perfect # of teams. Figure 3 or 4 undeserving autobids make playoff most years. That means, we are trying to find the true top 20 to fill out the playoffs. Top 20 teams making playoffs in field of 125 or so seems perfect to me. And since you need to pair them off and have seeds with byes ... to me, this makes 24 perfect # for FCS.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Nicholls gonna take the SLC autobid

That's great news for the bubble teams xthumbsupx

NDSUtk
November 15th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Agree with this but would add .... If we're stuck with all the autobids, I think 24 is perfect # of teams. Figure 3 or 4 undeserving autobids make playoff most years. That means, we are trying to find the true top 20 to fill out the playoffs. Top 20 teams making playoffs in field of 125 or so seems perfect to me. And since you need to pair them off and have seeds with byes ... to me, this makes 24 perfect # for FCS.I posted my thoughts on this last year in a thread and still like it.

We have 10 autobids. If we did 10 at-large for a 20 team league...do this:
Seed 1-12, off Thanksgiving weekend
Bottom 8 play (4 games, regionalized if you can) over Thanksgiving
Winners of those play in games play seeds 1-4, 5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, and 8 v 9. 8 games second weekend. Then quarters and semis.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Some big games for bubble teams to watch for this Saturday:

Elon @ Maine 12pm (Do the back-ups at Elon get blown-out again? If so might be on the bubble)

Indiana St. @ WIU 2pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

Montana St. @ Montana 2pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

EIU @ SE Mo St. 2pm (SE Mo St. needs a win to stay on bubble)

NC A&T and FAMU games to decide the MEAC champ, if NC A&T then that opens up a playoff slot, if FAMU then NC A&T takes a playoff slot, both games at 2pm

Furman @ Mercer 3pm (Furman needs a win to stay on bubble)

UCA @ ACU 3pm (ACU needs a win to stay on the bubble)

Lamar @ McNeese 4pm (Lamar needs a win to stay on bubble)

North Dakota @ Northern Arizona 4:30pm (North Dakota needs a win to stay on the bubble)

Weber St. @ Idaho St. 4:35 (Idaho St. is in with a win and out with a loss)

Mo. St. @ UNI 5pm (UNI needs a win to stay on the bubble)

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 10:20 PM
So assuming Elon does not get blown out, and NC A&T winds up in the FCS playoffs that leaves 4 open at-large slots, which will be decided between a maximum of 9 teams from the list above (plus Incarnate Word who canceled their game)(2 games above will eliminate 2 teams guaranteed and also assuming the other 7 playing Saturday win)

So 4 spots decided between a maximum of 10 teams (less than 10 teams if some lose on Saturday)

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Teams already in or most likely already in:

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne

Elon (if their backups don't get blow-out again)
NC A&T (if they don't win MEAC)

That leaves 4 more open spots for At-Large selections

gofurman
November 16th, 2018, 12:25 AM
Some big games for bubble teams to watch for this Saturday:

Elon @ Maine 12pm (Do the back-ups at Elon get blown-out again? If so might be on the bubble)

NC A&T and FAMU games to decide the MEAC champ, if NC A&T then that opens up a playoff slot, if FAMU then NC A&T takes a playoff slot, both games at 2pm

Furman @ Mercer 3pm (Furman needs a win to stay on bubble) - if Furman wins and Samford wins and Mercer scores less than 17 on Furman, Furman gets the SoCon auto bid

Lamar @ McNeese 4pm (Lamar needs a win to stay on bubble)

North Dakota @ Northern Arizona 4:30pm (North Dakota needs a win to stay on the bubble)

thanks. This is very very helpful.
So 4 of those 10 will probably get in?

I updated Furman with outside shot at Autobid... NOT pushing Furman just updating what I am watching for

question. So basically if teams like Lamar and UND and Furman and UNI lose they are out of the picture?

*would McNeese State not get in with a win over Lamar?

Anyone think this list needs any other teams vying for the last 4 spots ? Any changes ? Or does this list seem pretty spot on? I don't know - I fully admit that. Please reply with any changes or thoughts - thank you. just trying to get a full picture of what to watch

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 06:48 AM

I updated Furman with outside shot at Autobid... NOT pushing Furman just updating what I am watching for

question. So basically if teams like Lamar and UND and Furman and UNI lose they are out of the picture?

Anyone think this list needs any other teams vying for the last 4 spots ? Any changes ? Or does this list seem pretty spot on? I don't know - I fully admit that. Please reply with any changes or thoughts - thank you. just trying to get a full picture of what to watch

These would be the only teams to consider and yes I slightly considered Mcneese but seeing as how they just lost to 2 bad teams (SE LA and NW St.) I doubt the committee will take them, but if I had to add one more team to consider McNeese would be it. So if you look at the resume's of these teams Furman stacks up very well so long as we get the win vs. Mercer, we will have a very good shot at an at-large.

And yes all these teams must win to stay on the bubble

kalm
November 16th, 2018, 06:55 AM

EKU can finish 7-4. Not saying they belong but the beat SEMO and played well against two FBS.

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 07:06 AM
EKU can finish 7-4. Not saying they belong but the beat SEMO and played well against two FBS.

I think an 8-3 SEMO with a win over JSU is the only chance OVC has at getting a second team

Yes EKU beat SEMO St., and that's pretty good but here are the records of their other wins
Robert Morris 2-8
UTM 2-8
EIU 3-7
Morehead St. 3-7
TN Tech 1-9
So second best win 4-6 Austin Peay

So the question is do you think their head to head win over SEMO would put them in over an 8-3 SEMO if the OVC gets 2 teams?

kalm
November 16th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I think an 8-3 SEMO with a win over JSU is the only chance OVC has at getting a second team

Yes EKU beat SEMO St., and that's pretty good but here are the records of their other wins
Robert Morris 2-8
UTM 2-8
EIU 3-7
Morehead St. 3-7
TN Tech 1-9
So second best win 4-6 Austin Peay

So the question is do you think their head to head win over SEMO would put them in over an 8-3 SEMO if the OVC gets 2 teams?

No. They need SEMO to lose to EIU which might happen given EIU’s passing attack vs a weak SEMO secondary.

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 07:12 AM
No. They need SEMO to lose to EIU which might happen given EIU’s passing attack vs a weak SEMO secondary.

Ill add EKU and McNeese to the list xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-7) Portland St.

Top 25 wins - none

Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

Worst loss - (2-8) SF Austin

McNeese: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - # 17 Nicholls State
Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (5-5) Murray State

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Updated list of games to track:

EKU @ TN Tech 2:30pm (EKU needs a win to stay on bubble)

Furman @ Mercer 3pm (Furman needs a win to stay on bubble)

Lamar @ McNeese 4pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

Incarnate Word is Idle (due to canceling game on their own volition)

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 07:26 AM
So if Elon and NC A&T hold serve, there will be a max of 11 teams on the bubble for remaining 4 At-Large slots

fmftballmgr
November 16th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Seeing SEMO and EKU on the bubble just ticks me off that Murray could not get their stuff together for a game against the worse team in the league OVC and MVFC since we beat both of those team in conference play.

It is own our fault

But with a win over Peay we will still finish second in the OVC with the head to head tie breaker over SEMO

SCPALADIN
November 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Stupid question...
Incarnate Word has a game scheduled against Iowa State on 12/1. Does this affect anything? Would they simply cancel the game if they made the playoffs?

woffordgrad94
November 16th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Stupid question...
Incarnate Word has a game scheduled against Iowa State on 12/1. Does this affect anything? Would they simply cancel the game if they made the playoffs?
I think I saw someone post in another thread that this game was scheduled with the understanding that it would be cancelled if Incarnate Word made the FCS playoffs or if Iowa State made the Big 12 Championship Game.

Redbird 4th & short
November 16th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Seeing SEMO and EKU on the bubble just ticks me off that Murray could not get their stuff together for a game against the worse team in the league OVC and MVFC since we beat both of those team in conference play.

It is own our fault

But with a win over Peay we will still finish second in the OVC with the head to head tie breaker over SEMO

EKU has no business being on the bubble (assuming they win this week) at 7-4. They have 4 losses against the 76th raked SOS. They play in a 1 bid conference. They have one nice win over SEMO, got obliterated by JSU by 49 points, lost easily to 5-5 Murray St by 28 points, and padded their win column by barely beating several below average teams ... 3-7 EIU by 8, 2-8 TN Martin by 1, 2-8 Robt Morris by 1, 4-6 Austin Peay by 4. EIU is the highest Massey ranked team of those 4 at 76th. And have only put away 1 bad team on their very weak schedule .. Morehead St by 26.

I know the bubble is week, but I would take a 6th team from Colonial at 7-4 and a 6-5 team from MVFC WELL BEFORE a 3rd team from OVC at 7-4 ... this should not even be a close call.

Redbird 4th & short
November 16th, 2018, 10:08 AM

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Worst loss - (4-6) NW St.

Worst loss - (2-7) SF Austin

McNeese: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - # 17 Nicholls State
Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU
Worst loss - (5-5) Murray State

EKU lost to JSU by 49. it was SEMO they beat .. currently #23

Redbird 4th & short
November 16th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Quick comments on Maine's inclusion as bubble team .. they sit 7-3 overall and 6-1 in conference, but had very favorable schedule not having to face JMU, SB, and Delaware. To this point, they have one nice win over 7-3 Towson. Their FBS win over WKU looks much less impressive at seasons end .. Maine beat them by just 3 and WKU is current 1-9 thanked 110th in FBS by Massey. Maine's other FBS loss was to Massey #122 Central Mich (0-10 in FBS). So in fact, they have played 1 good team so far.

Colonial is back on top of FCS this year .. with bubble this weak, they deserve 5 teams, but Maine is not one of them 10 games into season. But they are 6-1 in CAA thanks to very favorable scheduling and get a chance to play Elon at home. So they could win there to clinch auto-bid, which is amazing considering they are only the 5th or 6th best CAA team .. they need to thank their conference for the incredibly soft conference schedule, and then their AD for scheduling 2 very weak FBS games. Sitting here in week 10, they have 1 impressive win ... Towson by 7. Will get very interesting if Elon beats Maine .. Maine will be 6th best team from CAA at 7-4 with just 1 quality win over a good team.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I have followed this all pretty closely on social media, listening to the pundits and so forth. IMO - Lamar, ACU, McNeese, EKU are not on the bubble. They are out. I don't know what it would take as far as others losing for those teams to get in. Take a lot.

SpreadTheWord
November 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM
I think I saw someone post in another thread that this game was scheduled with the understanding that it would be cancelled if Incarnate Word made the FCS playoffs or if Iowa State made the Big 12 Championship Game.

Yes...for the millionth time on these boards, the game will be cancelled if either UIW makes the FCS playoffs or if Iowa State makes the Big 12 championship game. Here's the official press release by UIW on September 12, 2018...

https://uiwcardinals.com/news/2018/9/12/football-uiw-to-face-iowa-state-on-dec-1.aspx?path=football

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 12:07 PM

Correct, my bad just a typo getting it all together, it has been fixed to show no top 25 wins according to AGS poll

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I have followed this all pretty closely on social media, listening to the pundits and so forth. IMO - Lamar, ACU, McNeese, EKU are not on the bubble. They are out. I don't know what it would take as far as others losing for those teams to get in. Take a lot.

I agree, but keeping them in to eliminate as much gripping at the moment, we will have a much clearer picture on Saturday night once all the games finish up I believe

Catatonic
November 16th, 2018, 01:38 PM
I agree, but keeping them in to eliminate as much gripping at the moment, we will have a much clearer picture on Saturday night once all the games finish up I believe

I was surprised to see on the selection committee You Tube that they will use the Coach’s poll as one of their selection criteria. That would seem to give an advantage to ranked 21st ranked McNeese and to hurt teams like Furman which is near the bottom of the also receiving votes list. Lamar and ACU are even more screwed than Furman, with no votes in the coaches poll. I guess it depends on how much the committee weights poll results.

FUGameBreaker
November 16th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I was surprised to see on the selection committee You Tube that they will use the Coach’s poll as one of their selection criteria. That would seem to give an advantage to ranked 21st ranked McNeese and to hurt teams like Furman which is near the bottom of the also receiving votes list. Lamar and ACU are even more screwed than Furman, with no votes in the coaches poll. I guess it depends on how much the committee weights poll results.

It won't hurt teams like Furman ect. when the resumes are compared side by side, the coaches poll will ultimately play very little if any roll in deciding which teams make the playoff field. Again, for many years now the field that the committee selects (they select comparing resumes) always most closely resembles the AGS poll rankings, its that way because the AGS is the group of people who analyze FCS the best and closest during the course of the season using basically the same metrics that the playoff committee uses when analyzing teams at the end of the season to select the playoff field.

Catatonic
November 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM
It won't hurt teams like Furman ect. when the resumes are compared side by side, the coaches poll will ultimately play very little if any roll in deciding which teams make the playoff field. Again, for many years now the field that the committee selects (they select comparing resumes) always most closely resembles the AGS poll rankings, its that way because the AGS is the group of people who analyze FCS the best and closest during the course of the season using basically the same metrics that the playoff committee uses when analyzing teams at the end of the season to select the playoff field.

I’m under the impression that the coaches poll has not been used by the committee in the past. It’s something new this year, perhaps owing to the fact that about half of the selection committee members are new. In any case, we will all know soon enough.

JSUSoutherner
November 17th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Yeah everyone in the OVC not named SEMO has an exactly 0% chance at an At-large.

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM
This bubble makes my head hurt......THIS is the best we've got?

POD Knows
November 17th, 2018, 08:47 AM
This bubble makes my head hurt......THIS is the best we've got?Water this tourney down, just do it.

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Water this tourney down, just do it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/b7f0X8Okk1uyk/giphy.gif

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Bethune-Cookman leads FAMU 7-3 almost halftime, that's an upset for bubble teams to watch as it would allow NC A&T to play in the celebration bowl instead of FCS playoffs

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Delaware got killed at Villanova today, they are 7-4 and lost their last 2 games, do they move from In to being on the bubble?

MacThor
November 17th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Delaware got killed at Villanova today, they are 7-4 and lost their last 2 games, do they move from In to being on the bubble?

Delaware was at home.

TheKingpin28
November 17th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Even if Elon wins, they would still have the H-H as well as the Towson win. They are probably a Last 4 In team though.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Delaware was at home.

I meant to type against not at, my bad

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Elon losses, they are 6-4 losing the last 2 games, but game today was close

mainejeff
November 17th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Elon losses, they are 6-4 losing the last 2 games, but game today was close

Those were 2 hungry teams today. I was impressed with Elon.....very well coached.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Bethune-Cookman leads FAMU 17-13

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Towson getting killed by JMU, they will be 7-4 and have lost 3 of their last 4

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 04:24 PM
HUGE news for bubble teams, FAMU lost, NC A&T is not going to the playoffs they are going to the celebration bowl xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 04:25 PM
If you assume these teams are in:

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Elon

That leaves 5 more open spots for At-Large selections

TheKingpin28
November 17th, 2018, 04:30 PM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Elon

Assuming Elon is in is ballsy.

katss07
November 17th, 2018, 04:30 PM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Elon

Add Indiana St, Montana St, North Carolina A&T, Idaho St and Furman to that list. UIW and maybe UNI or Monmouth or SEMO first few out.

These are just my predictions. Not assuming anything. Still 6 at large spots up for grabs!

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Add Indiana St, Montana St, North Carolina A&T, Idaho St and Furman to that list. UIW and maybe UNI or Monmouth or SEMO first few out.

These are just my predictions. Not assuming anything. Still 6 at large spots up for grabs!

NC A&T is going to celebration bowl

katss07
November 17th, 2018, 04:47 PM
NC A&T is going to celebration bowl
Yeah, I think I sent that before the Cookman win though.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 04:47 PM

xthumbsupx

MacThor
November 17th, 2018, 04:53 PM

You were replying to a post made after B-C won.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Furman wins share of SoCon championship xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Looking at the weakness of the bubble this year, Furman is in, especially with A&T to the Celebration bowl

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Albany knocks off Stony Brook. Idaho State is losing. Abilene Christian lost.

Not sure what the Stony Brook loss does, but sitting at 7-4 and losing to a 2-8 team in the last game of the regular season isn't good.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 07:01 PM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Elon

5 more at-larges up for grabs, updated list:

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (7-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

Top 25 wins - none

JSUSoutherner
November 17th, 2018, 07:03 PM

NDSU
EWU
KSU
Weber St.
SDSU
Colgate
UC Davis
James Madison
Stony Brook
Maine
Towson
Delaware
Wofford
JSU
ETSU
Nicholls St.
San Diego
Duquesne
Elon

5 more at-larges up for grabs, updated list:

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (7-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Worst loss - (4-7) SE LA

Top 25 wins - none

EKU ain't happening.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2018, 07:11 PM
JMU, UCD, EWU, SDSU, ISUB, Towson, Delaware, Furman, ETSU, SEMO, Elon, SBU, Montana State and UNI

I guess a case could be made for one of the SLC teams but there isn't really much substance to work with. EKU..LOL.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 08:08 PM
http://nobowls.com/

- - - Updated - - -

http://nobowls.com/images/final.png

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2018, 08:12 PM
So are most in agreement now FINALLY that Furman has a very good chance to be selected as At-Large? Hope so

No, I think you and your purple compadres need to do more campaigning. Please post more awesome pics and posts from the Furple social media account; that realllllly makes us think twice. The Missouri Valley folks aren't convinced. Remember the FCS committee checks AGS once before midnight so hurry up!!:):D

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 08:17 PM
No, I think you and your purple compadres need to do more campaigning. Please post more awesome pics and posts from the Furple social media account; that realllllly makes us think twice. The Missouri Valley folks aren't convinced. Remember the FCS committee checks AGS once before midnight so hurry up!!:):D

xrotatehx

gofurman
November 17th, 2018, 08:39 PM

As one guy on here says (it's his tag line) "we aren't supposed to hold the actions of a few Muslims against all Muslims ... But we are supposed to hold the actions of a few gun owners against all gun owners "

Don't hold the actions of the minority against the greater majority

heck, Wofford needs to THANK FURMAN AND Sammy for their auto bid :D

SCPALADIN
November 17th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Do we get extra credit for beating Villanova in basketball tonight?

Asking for a friend.

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2018, 08:53 PM
As one guy on here says (it's his tag line) "we aren't supposed to hold the actions of a few Muslims against all Muslims ... But we are supposed to hold the actions of a few gun owners against all gun owners "

thanks go to Mercer and their 30 points.

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2018, 08:57 PM
that would make furple even for the stunt of leaving the Lyons kid in the whole game of a 40 point win so he can set a record.:(

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 08:59 PM

The actions of this Furman fan have been to build up his team xthumbsupx Boom its been a great ride!!!

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2018, 09:07 PM
that would make furple even for the stunt of leaving the Lyons kid in the whole game of a 40 point win so he can set a record.:(

I've seen Wofford fans griping about this on social media.

Lyons had 11 three pointers early in the second half and a legitimate shot at an NCAA record - a once in a lifetime chance. I believe Coach Richey, who is a top flight guy, used to play for or coach which NGU's coach, who was fine with Furman giving Lyon's a shot at the record. Every other Furman starter sat and the bench was emptied early in the second half. NGU kept guarding him and the teams were completely cordial and even friendly after the game.

Literally the only people that seem to think this wasn't above board are Wofford fans who are upset it wasn't Fletcher McGee.

FUGameBreaker
November 17th, 2018, 09:08 PM

Lyons had 11 three pointers early in the second half and a legitimate shot at an NCAA record - a once in a lifetime chance. I believe Coach Richey, who is a top flight guy, used to play for or coach which NGU's coach, who was fine with Furman giving Lyon's a shot at the record. Every other Furman starter sat and the bench was emptied early in the second half. NGU kept guarding him and the teams were completely cordial and even friendly after the game.

Literally the only people that seem to think this wasn't above board are Wofford fans who are upset it wasn't Fletcher McGee.

Exactly xthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2018, 05:04 AM

Yeah, that's it. Sure. I guess Coach Young should have thought about that against Carver last week. I ain't upset about it,it is par for the course for Furman fans for when something is called to attention, get highly defensive. The goal was to get on ESPN for exposure. They got it. Didn't need to with the victories over 'Nova (which was worthy anyway).

FUGameBreaker
November 18th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Yeah, that's it. Sure. I guess Coach Young should have thought about that against Carver last week. I ain't upset about it,it is par for the course for Furman fans for when something is called to attention, get highly defensive. The goal was to get on ESPN for exposure. They got it. Didn't need to with the victories over 'Nova (which was worthy anyway).

Your actually the one that's getting defensive by even bringing it up in the first place, just be happy for the kid and quite griping xthumbsupx

fmftballmgr
November 18th, 2018, 06:53 AM
As much as I hate it with this year field SEMO at 8-3 will be in

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2018, 08:05 AM

That ain’t what I heard. I’ve a buddy from NGU and he told me the other day up at Charlie’s Philly Cheesesteaks in the Haywood Mall food court that the NGU team was actually thoroughly disgusted with the actions of the FU basketball team and would like to line up every Furman person for a boot in the ass! :D

FUGameBreaker
November 18th, 2018, 09:49 AM
That ain’t what I heard. I’ve a buddy from NGU and he told me the other day up at Charlie’s Philly Cheesesteaks in the Haywood Mall food court that the NGU team was actually thoroughly disgusted with the actions of the FU basketball team and would like to line up every Furman person for a boot in the ass! :D

:D

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Literally the only people that seem to think this wasn't above board are Wofford fans who are upset it wasn't Fletcher McGee.Are you kidding? No one is upset. I could show you screenshots of some very butt hurt Furman fans for us bringing this up. If record chasing justifies running up the score, then Wofford should keep Fletcher Magee in for 40 minutes against D2 clowns.

Fletcher Magee has had plenty of his own ESPN moments and Wofford has plenty of their own NCAA records involving 3 pointers.

Furman fans really like to whine.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Has anyone see World and FUGameBreaker together at the same time?

FUGameBreaker
November 18th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Are you kidding? No one is upset. I could show you screenshots of some very butt hurt Furman fans for us bringing this up. If record chasing justifies running up the score, then Wofford should keep Fletcher Magee in for 40 minutes against D2 clowns.

Fletcher Magee has had plenty of his own ESPN moments and Wofford has plenty of their own NCAA records involving 3 pointers.

Furman fans really like to whine.

We did not run up the score, we were up by 40 with 10 minutes left and we won by 40, Richey took out all the starters at that point but Lyons because he only needed 1 more to tie the record which is an awesome record to have, he then went on to hit only 1-12 down the stretch, probably because of the pressure that mounted, so the pursuit of the record is what kept us from winning by 50 or 60, I am just glad he finally hit that one more he needed, its a great accomplishment for him xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Has anyone see World and FUGameBreaker together at the same time?I actually like Gamebreaker (and really all the Furman fans I interact with online).

I just hate the common outrage I see on multiple platforms at every day banter.

Like ETSU fans on Twitter on some level bug me but they feel less whiney

FUGameBreaker
November 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I actually like Gamebreaker (and really all the Furman fans I interact with online).

I just hate the common outrage I see on multiple platforms at every day banter.

Like ETSU fans on Twitter on some level bug me but they feel less whiney

Thanks dude!