PDA

View Full Version : Brown needs more help from admissions

Go Green
November 9th, 2018, 09:21 AM
A Brown alum is tired of losing and points the finger directly at the admissions office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20181107/bill-reynolds-estes-cant-make-grade-at-brown-without-help-from-admissions

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I know a former Brown player (from the late 50's) who is pretty well connected. I'll have to get his thoughts.

From the late 90's until about 5-6 years ago Brown had a pretty steady program. The Bears had a killer WR/RB combo iirc from the early 2000's. They've completely fallen off the cliff recently....

Go Green
November 9th, 2018, 10:02 AM
From the late 90's until about 5-6 years ago Brown had a pretty steady program. The Bears had a killer WR/RB combo iirc from the early 2000's. They've completely fallen off the cliff recently....

Same thing happened to Dartmouth in the early 1980s and late 1990s. For the same reasons that the author of the article theorizes is happening at Brown now.

ngineer
November 9th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Same thing happened to Dartmouth in the early 1980s and late 1990s. For the same reasons that the author of the article theorizes is happening at Brown now.

No question, the 'relationship' the coaches have with admissions is critical. We have had a number of kids rejected by admissions and the end up playing at Penn. Go figure.

Go Green
November 9th, 2018, 12:44 PM
No question, the 'relationship' the coaches have with admissions is critical. We have had a number of kids rejected by admissions and the end up playing at Penn. Go figure.

Was this recent history?

Or was back in the late 1970s/early 1980s when Penn had a reputation for being really lenient in admissions?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2018, 01:21 PM
It’s all about admissions.

Not who the coach is.

Not the style of play.

Not who the quarterback is.

Admissions.

Who gets in, and who doesn’t. And how much financial aid a kid is awarded in a league without athletic scholarships. All this in a sports world where other schools are offering full athletic scholarships no matter what the family’s financial situation is.

That’s another secret.

Nailed it.

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Nailed it.

Show that last part to your head coach.

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Happened to Yale after the infamous Giamatti de-emphasis speech in the late '70's. Yale went from 9-1 in 1981 to 1-9 in 1983.

It was never a complete disaster because Yale won titles in '89, '99 and '06, and beat Harvard enough to keep everyone , if not happy, at least not mutinous. But once Harvard started to beat us regularly, I think it was decided to give athletes at least some extra consideration, not just in football, but basketball, hockey, baseball, and LAX, as well.

Bill
November 9th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Brown also needs help with its endowment. Admissions is important, but it sure is easier to field a competitive football team with the H-Y-P financial aid model!

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Brown also needs help with its endowment. Admissions is important, but it sure is easier to field a competitive football team with the H-Y-P financial aid model!

You do realize that trying to get Ivy League schools to spend endowment money is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Endowments are like penis sizes. For comparison and bragging rights only.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2018, 02:37 PM
You do realize that trying to get Ivy League schools to spend endowment money is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Endowments are like penis sizes. For comparison and bragging rights only.
Well, I guess that makes Harvard Long Dong Silver.:D

bulldog10jw
November 9th, 2018, 02:39 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ivytalk again. xthumbsupx

Bill
November 9th, 2018, 03:25 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ivytalk again. xthumbsupx

Classic.

And yes, my endowment comparisons were made in jest....but my financial aid package comments were not!

Go...gate
November 9th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Also happened at Princeton under Tosches and the PU Admissions Director. They were not friends after a while.

Go Green
November 9th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Happened to Yale after the infamous Giamatti de-emphasis speech in the late '70's. Yale went from 9-1 in 1981 to 1-9 in 1983.

It was never a complete disaster because Yale won titles in '89, '99 and '06, and beat Harvard enough to keep everyone , if not happy, at least not mutinous. But once Harvard started to beat us regularly, I think it was decided to give athletes at least some extra consideration, not just in football, but basketball, hockey, baseball, and LAX, as well.

According to Joe Yukica, when the Ivy decided to implement the AI in 1980 (give or take), schools were given five years to get into compliance with their bands.

Dartmouth and Yale implemented their bands immediately. Both teams took a nosedive in the standings.

Penn waited until the last minute to implement their AI (again, according to Yukica). They were the unquestioned Ivy powerhouse in that era.

By the late 1980s, Penn was struggling making the adjustment to their AI, whereas Yale recovered. Wasn't until Bagnoli arrived in 1992 did Penn become competitive again.

Go Green
November 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Also happened at Princeton under Tosches and the PU Admissions Director. They were not friends after a while.

Presumably, Tosches (or other Princeton coaches) shared their frustrations with their players. That led to a Princeton captain telling the press that half of Penn's players couldn't get into Princeton.

:)

lucchesicourt
November 9th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Ivy also has advantages over other schools too. UC Davis had a 4 star QB commit 2 years ago (I believe) yet at the last minute he took an offer from Princeton. We lost out on a very intelligent and very good athlete because of Princeton being what could be considered the top academic school in the country (UC Davis isn't too bad itself). However, the IVY league has its perks too. As I look at it, UCD also wants the same athlete as the IVY league persues.

LehighU11
November 9th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Was this recent history?

Or was back in the late 1970s/early 1980s when Penn had a reputation for being really lenient in admissions?
This has been during the Patriot League's scholarship era.

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2018, 08:08 PM
How much of this issue at Brown is due to less competitive financial aid offers vs. HYP and not about admits?

Cocky
November 10th, 2018, 08:27 AM

JSU would be Donald Trump.

Go...gate
November 10th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Presumably, Tosches (or other Princeton coaches) shared their frustrations with their players. That led to a Princeton captain telling the press that half of Penn's players couldn't get into Princeton.

:)

Actually, IIRC, that was Keith Elias.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2018, 07:32 AM
So, does the Brown hierarchy care enough about FB to can Phil Estes at the end of the season?

Go Green
November 11th, 2018, 01:22 PM
So, does the Brown hierarchy care enough about FB to can Phil Estes at the end of the season?

Hard to imagine anyone doing better if he doesn't have support from admissions and Brown doesn't upgrade its facilities.

Stanford went through a rough patch under Teevens. Switching coaches didn't help. Getting rid of the admissions director did.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/HIGHER-STANDARDS-Stanford-teams-finding-it-s-2589894.php

Model Citizen
November 11th, 2018, 07:02 PM
What is the approximate mean ACT score of Brown football recruits?

Cocky
November 12th, 2018, 05:10 AM
What is the approximate mean ACT score of Brown football recruits?
Undoubtedly none are very mean nor ACT mean.

Go Green
November 19th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Providence Journal reporting that Brown has let go of Coach Estes.

I'd expect Brown to target Bryant's James Perry (a Brown legend). But I doubt he (or any hot coach) will want the job unless he gets promises of increased support.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2018, 01:31 PM

I'd expect Brown to target Bryant's James Perry (a Brown legend). But I doubt he (or any hot coach) will want the job unless he gets promises of increased support.

Perry should be a very hot name when it comes to head coaching vacancies. I think he recruited Lovett and Horstead at Princeton.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Perry should be a very hot name when it comes to head coaching vacancies. I think he recruited Lovett and Horstead at Princeton.

For sure. He didn’t kill it at Bryant these last two years, but showed nice improvement. He was apparently 2nd to Garrett two years ago in for the Lafayette head job.. ugh,

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2018, 06:08 AM

I knew it! Is Lou Holtz still around?