PDA

View Full Version : The latest bracketology

woffordgrad94
November 4th, 2018, 07:33 PM
This bracket projection was released this morning. I like it!
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 07:43 PM
This bracket projection was released this morning. I like it!
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

There is no way that they are matching up the co-champs of the CAA in the First Round and then shipping them off to NDSU. Once again someone has a woody for Elon. A 6 seed?.....yeah right.

woffordgrad94
November 4th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I just like the bracket because it gave Wofford a home game, then a trip to Elon. I’m not so sure they’ll be right, but one can hope!

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Must be an 'as of today' type bracket. Eastern Washington & UC Davis play next week. No way they both are the 2&5 seeds at year end. Maine & UD winner to NDSU? Laughable unless they both lose (thus, not an 'as of today' type bracket, just one probably by a STATS voter...)

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Wow, JMU has to go to Brookings so the 1,137 jackrabbit fans get to see their team beaten like a red headed stepchild in person

EU2000
November 4th, 2018, 07:58 PM
There is no way that they are matching up the co-champs of the CAA in the First Round and then shipping them off to NDSU. Once again someone has a woody for Elon. A 6 seed?.....yeah right.

Delaware should be the seeded team at this point.

I’m impressed though with Elon’s backups at the moment. The team lost the starting QB at UD and starting RB at JMU, both for the season. True freshman RB ran for 220 yards on 18 carries yesterday.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Elon still has to play Towson and Maine, a lot to be decided all over the country still

GoBlueHens83
November 4th, 2018, 08:06 PM
If either Maine or Delaware win out, there's no way one of them doesn't get a seed over Colgate.

I also agree that Maine & UD wouldn't be matched up in the first round.

Bison56
November 4th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Wow, JMU has to go to Brookings so the 1,137 jackrabbit fans get to see their team beaten like a red headed stepchild in person
You must be assuming the weather will be nice.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Happy to see Colgate getting a bye. How I wish Princeton could be in there.

CappinHard
November 4th, 2018, 08:22 PM

https://i.giphy.com/media/PduVUyCWy7vyw/giphy.gif

Gangtackle11
November 4th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Here is nobowls look at the FCS playoffs:

http://www.nobowls.com/

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Here is nobowls look at the FCS playoffs:

http://www.nobowls.com/

Do these playoff prognosticators know that some of these teams still have to play each other?

FargoBison
November 4th, 2018, 11:05 PM
My thoughts....

Autobids:
Big Sky: UC Davis
Big South: KSU
CAA: Delaware
MVFC: NDSU
NEC: Sacred Heart
OVC: SEMO
PL: Colgate
PFL: San Diego
SoCon: ETSU
SLC: McNeese State

The Field:
WIU at Maine vs 1.NDSU
Sacred Heart at SBU vs 8. Colgate

Nicholls at JSU vs 4. KSU
Idaho State at EWU vs 5. Weber State

SEMO at UNI vs 3. SDSU
Wofford at NC A&T vs 6. Delaware

USD at McNeese St vs 2. UC Davis
ETSU at JMU vs 7. Elon

At-Large: JMU, Weber State, EWU, SDSU, WIU, UNI, Maine, Wofford, JSU, Elon, SBU, Idaho State, NC A&T and Nichols

Bubble: Samford, ISUB, ISUR, Towson, UCA, Furman, Chattanooga, Montana State, Montana

Bison56
November 5th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Do these playoff prognosticators know that some of these teams still have to play each other?

Did you read the line at the top of the page?

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2018, 06:43 AM
You must be assuming the weather will be nice.

He also must be forgetting about the b-ball game that day in Minneapolis. Myself and 11-12 people will be there, possibly outnumbered by visiting fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 5th, 2018, 06:47 AM

It is bizarre to even attempt these pairings knowing so much will change in the last two weeks. Maine can be an AQ with 2 W's or they could lose both and not even make it or split and be borderline. Maine just needs to take care of business and let the chips fall where they may.

Bison56
November 5th, 2018, 07:00 AM
It is bizarre to even attempt these pairings knowing so much will change in the last two weeks. Maine can be an AQ with 2 W's or they could lose both and not even make it or split and be borderline. Maine just needs to take care of business and let the chips fall where they may.

paward
November 5th, 2018, 07:16 AM
No bus ride for San Diego.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Sure did, still bizarre, knowing it will all change after Saturday.

semobison
November 5th, 2018, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=CenMEBlackBearFan;2704139]Sure did, still bizarre, knowing it will all change after Saturday.[/QUOTE

And, they will come out with new brackets next week. Bizarre? Nope! Just normal November early week discussion on AGS. You must be new at this!

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 08:33 AM

..........WATER COOLER SPECULATION.........TUBBY USED TA SAY....DUH GUYS @ DUH FIRE HOUSE.................BRAWK!

mainejeff
November 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM

My bad. I guess that they are just being lazy since the playoff field is ALWAYS selected at the end of the season (not after Week 10).

mainejeff
November 5th, 2018, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=CenMEBlackBearFan;2704139]Sure did, still bizarre, knowing it will all change after Saturday.[/QUOTE

And, they will come out with new brackets next week. Bizarre? Nope! Just normal November early week discussion on AGS. You must be new at this!

Wow.....there are some really irritating NDSU fans on here. Hopefully someone ends your reign.

100%GRIZ
November 5th, 2018, 08:52 AM
So does anyone know if the playoffs will be ESPN 3 or ESPN +? I'm guessing ESPN needs their $!

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 08:52 AM
My bad. I guess that they are just being lazy since the playoff field is ALWAYS selected at the end of the season (not after Week 10).
It's a point-of-view I'd say. I prefer the playoff projection as it stands today because all you can use to back it up is hard evidence that's happened so far (similar to what we use when voting in the AGS Poll). Projecting what will happen in the last 2 weeks and projecting the bracket puts a ton of extra subjectivity into the projection and, IMO, makes it easier for the bracketologist to fudge a curious projection (something like "I think ETSU will get crushed by Samford so that's why I have them as out"). I kind of like the "as they stand now" approach because it gives you a feel for what your team needs to do in order to improve or maintain their position and, based on their upcoming schedule, gives you an idea of where they can improve to if they win 1 or 2 tough games.

Just my xtwocentsx… I understand why projections are done both ways.

So does anyone know if the playoffs will be ESPN 3 or ESPN +? I'm guessing ESPN needs their $!
I'm fairly sure I've seen on the Twitter machine somewhere or other that they will be on ESPN3 but that may have just been speculation also.

Wow.....there are some really irritating NDSU fans on here. Hopefully someone ends your reign.
I hate to break it to you but we'll still be annoying after that. xthumbsupx

Bison56
November 5th, 2018, 09:01 AM

It makes for fun discussion though.

semobison
November 5th, 2018, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=semobison;2704150]

My point is...Why so worked up? Mr Chicken is right, these brackets are nothing but water cooler speculation.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 09:29 AM
He also must be forgetting about the b-ball game that day in Minneapolis. Myself and 11-12 people will be there, possibly outnumbered by visiting fans.

That's kind of funny since most of the talk on Bisonville about that US Bank game is how no one will go because it's the same day as a (presumably) home playoff football game.

Kind of shows where each fan base's priorities are. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong but it's different mentalities when it comes to how each supports their football and basketball programs. It also probably shows you how each base feels about the prospects of their respective MBB teams this year.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2018, 10:37 AM
I hate to break it to you but we'll still be annoying after that. xthumbsupx

Can confirm xlolx

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2018, 10:38 AM
That's kind of funny since most of the talk on Bisonville about that US Bank game is how no one will go because it's the same day as a (presumably) home playoff football game.

Kind of shows where each fan base's priorities are. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong but it's different mentalities when it comes to how each supports their football and basketball programs. It also probably shows you how each base feels about the prospects of their respective MBB teams this year.

We are still a basketball school unfortunately. Still have a long ways to go to cultivate the football culture.

Evolution Prime
November 5th, 2018, 10:46 AM
No brainer for me to go to the playoff game. Much shorter trip for me from SE Nebraska. Plus it's one of the reason I got season tickets. I'll make the basketball games when they come.down to Omaha and have all session passes to the Summit League Tournament. Trying to make it for a couple weekend games at Frost.

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 10:46 AM
If we can get some of our offensive line back healthy this month WIU could be a fun game.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Trying to make it for Korea weekend games at Frost.
I always figured this guy was a Jacks fan!

http://www.teamamericaprops.com/TeamAmerica/ScreenCaps/KimJongNukes2.jpg

Evolution Prime
November 5th, 2018, 10:51 AM
I dont how my phone decided I meant Korea instead of a couple.

Evolution Prime
November 5th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I always figured this guy was a Jacks fan!

http://www.teamamericaprops.com/TeamAmerica/ScreenCaps/KimJongNukes2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/EvolutionPrime/Mobile%20Uploads/Nb3x7j1_d_zps6nwiccgk.jpg

leatherneck177
November 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM
If we can get some of our offensive line back healthy this month WIU could be a fun game.

I'd like to see this as well. I'd put a strong bet on WIU (if they get in) playing at SEMO or JSU and then feeding into SDSU (makes a lot of sense since WIU missed them this year) and others obviously didn't play.

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see this as well. I'd put a strong bet on WIU (if they get in) playing at SEMO or JSU and then feeding into SDSU (makes a lot of sense since WIU missed them this year) and others obviously didn't play.

Well if you get JSU you absolutely positively are not feeding into SDSU.

We a 110% lock to see KSU in round 2.

ST_Lawson
November 5th, 2018, 11:24 AM

I agree, I'd love to see how our guys match up with yours. Idk who'd be favored...have to look a bit more into the details if it looks like that's how it'll play out...but we've only played each other twice. A H&H in '94 & '95 with the home teams winning each matchup. I'm all for interesting matchups that you rarely see (or haven't ever seen) happening in the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I agree, I'd love to see how our guys match up with yours. Idk who'd be favored...have to look a bit more into the details if it looks like that's how it'll play out...but we've only played each other twice. A H&H in '94 & '95 with the home teams winning each matchup. I'm all for interesting matchups that you rarely see (or haven't ever seen) happening in the playoffs.
If we were playing this weekend I'd give a big advantage to WIU. We have a lot of key players playing hurt or not playing at all. In an ideal world they should be back and closer to 100% by Thanksgiving and I think that could even the odds a little bit.

Also having g the game at our place would definitely be big for us.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Can confirm xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot all of us. xcheersx

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Tribe4SF
November 5th, 2018, 11:42 AM
They have Weber as a #4 seed and also have Idaho St. in. Can't have both as they have yet to play. If Weber wins Idaho St. will only have 6 DI wins.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM
They have Weber as a #4 seed and also have Idaho St. in. Can't have both as they have yet to play. If Weber wins Idaho St. will only have 6 DI wins.
The threshold for playoff consideration is 6 D1 wins and the projection appears to be made as the teams stand today not where they will be on Selection Sunday.

CappinHard
November 5th, 2018, 11:50 AM

I'm headed to the basketball game and I'm a pretty die hard SDSU football fan. A few things played into it for me. Probably the most important is that SDSU basketball will likely never play another game in US Bank Stadium. It's a solid OOC game against UNI. SDSU has their best basketball player ever and maybe best team ever. My wife and kids will go to this game and I wouldn't be able to get them to go to an outdoor football game in December. Back to football... I hoped that SDSU would have a top 4 seed and host at least 2 home games so I would be able to go to the next one if they won the first one. As far as NDSU fans not going, I don't blame them, NDSU's basketball team has the potential to be hot garbage this year. The decision is a little more difficult when your team is actually good.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I think it's getting to the point where if you have 8 wins and are in the MVFC, CAA, Southern, Southland, Big Sky and maybe OVC, getting 8 wins may be a safe bet to getting a bid.

Outside of the CAA, which is really chaotic right now, there's only 8 teams who can accomplish that, and not all of them will.

Originally I thought Wofford was a bubble team, but with this insight, I think we're in at 8 wins.

NDSU1980
November 5th, 2018, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=semobison;2704150]

Wow.....there are some really irritating NDSU fans on here. Hopefully someone ends your reign.You actually think it will end? LOL

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Since I did this shoddy research, I thought this would be the thread to share it...

Purpose: Determine which FCS Teams are "in the hunt" for At-Large Playoff Bids

Assumptions (which may contain MAJOR flaws)
1) I think this year, more than ever, due to the morass that most of the FCS 'power conferences' (MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, SoCon, and Southland - sorry OVC) standings are in and probably will still be in when the season ends, the Committee is going to use FCS losses as their primary qualifier. They will not ignore overall records, they will appropriately 'reward' FBS wins and 'good FCS wins,' but with all of the losses that good Teams are going to have, I just think comparing Teams based on number and 'quality' of those losses will be how they primarily put the wheat in and take the chaff out (see, we southerners know how to speak midwestern sometimes).
2) With all of the good 3-4 FCS loss Teams in the 'power conferences,' I don't think any of the 'non-power conferences' (PFL, NEC, PL, Big South, OVC) have a chance for a second bid after their AutoBid. (Sorry Monmouth. We saw that game last year at UNI.)
3) The exception to #2 is the OVC (scared you, didn't I?), where I think either JaxSt and SEMO will be considered...and either is probably in.
4) I think Alcorn and NCA&T are going to win the SWAC/MEAC and go do their Celebration thing and I don't think FAMU gets a real look, even if they finish with 2 FCS losses...may be selling the Rattlers short here.
5) I think any Teams with 2 or 3 FCS losses that lost a game due to weather will be, relatively viewed 'on equal footing' as those Team that have an 'extra' win. They won't get 'credit' for beating the Team they didn't play, but they will be viewed as having a 'nameless opponent' and a meh win on that day.
6) Only considered Teams with 3 FCS losses or less (currently), with the exception of Illinois State, partly because of the quality of 3 of their 4 losses, partly because I expect them to win their next 2, but mostly because I didn't want to rile up the 'whole valley' rendering any larger scope discussion of this data impossible to conduct. :)
7) I'm assuming NDSU has the MVFC Autobid all-but in-hand and have assumed they do get that
8) There may be other assumptions that I'm forgetting to list
9) I assume I've got some of this ish wrong. Don't @ me.

RESEARCH DATA
So...14 spots...let’s look at the contendah’s...
1) UC Davis - will probably finish with 0 or 1 FCS loss & an FBS win; may win the Big Sky
2) EWU - will probably finish with 1 or 2 FCS losses; may win the Big Sky
3) WeberSt - will probably finish with 1 or 2 FCS losses; could win or tie for the Big Sky
4) IdahoSt - will probably finish with 1 or 2 FCS losses; could win or tie for the Big Sky
5) PortlandSt - could finish with 3 FCS losses, but unlikely. Also has 2 FBS losses
6) Delaware - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; could win CAA
7) Maine - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 4 is likely; has FBS win; could win CAA
8) Elon - could finish with 1-3 FCS losses; could win CAA
9) JMU - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; could win CAA
10) Stony Brook - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; could win CAA
11) Towson - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; could CAA
12) Rhode Island - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses
13) North Dakota (IND.) - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses
14) SDakSt - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; 2 is likely
15) Northern Iowa - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 3 is likely
16) Western Ill- could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 3 is likely
17) IndianaSt - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 4-5 is likely
18) IllinoisSt - could finish with 4-6 FCS losses and an FBS win; 3 of 4 losses to “Top Teams”
19) JaxSt - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; 2-3 is likely; could win OVC
20) SEMO - could finish with 1-3 FCS losses; 1 is likely; could win OVC
21) ETSU - could finish with 1-2 FCS losses; 2 is likely; could win SoCon
22) Wofford - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; 2 is likely; could win SoCon
23) Samford - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 3 is likely; could win SoCon
24) Furman - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; 3 is likely; could win SoCon
25) Chattanooga - could finish with 3-4 FCS losses; 3 is most likely
26) McNeeseSt - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; could win Southland
27) NichollsSt - could finish with 2-4 FCS losses; 2 most likely; has FBS win; could win Southland
28) Incarnate Word - could finish with 2-3 FCS losses; could win Southland
29) Abilene Christian - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses
30) CentArk - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; could win Southland
31) Lamar - could finish with 3-5 FCS losses; could win Southland (I think)

Take out 5 Autobid Teams (Big Sky, CAA, OVC, SoCon, and Southland) & we are left with 26 Teams for 14 spots....depending on how things 'break' in the next 2 weeks.

So, take out your projected Autobids, force rank the remaining 26 and the Top 14 should be the At-Large Field.

CONCLUSION
INCLUDING AUTOBIDS, FUBeAR thinks...
1-4 (above) are in,
6, 8, 9, and 11 are in,
14-16 are in,
19 & 20 are in,
21-23 are in,
26 & 27 are in.

So that's 18....minus 5 Autobids = 13 of 14 at large bids 'taken.'

FUBeAR FIELD
Kennesaw
Sacred Heart
Colgate
San Diego
UC Davis
EWU
Weber State
Idaho State
Delaware
Elon
JMU
Towson
NDSU
S Dak St
N Iowa
Western Illinois
Jax State
SEMO
ETSU
Wofford
Samford
McNeese
Nicholls St
UNKNOWN

Who gets FUBeAR's lucky 14th Golden Ticket? Probably better of Maine or Stony Brook...probably Stony Brook - don’t like Maine’s losses to W&M AND Yale.

Of course, I would LOVE to say Furman, (which is why I did this exercise to begin with)....but I don't think so.

Oh well...next year is the year that Furman AND Mercer both go 11-0-1 and get seeds!

Any of this make sense? Reasonable way to assess/think about it...or nope???...just FUBeAR gonna FUBeAR????

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2018, 06:14 AM
You missed NC A&T. If they get to 9-2 (and FAMU doesn't lose again) they get an at-large I think.

Overall I think it's pretty good although I think a 7-4 (6-2) Maine (even though I hate them) probably bumps either McNeese, ETSU (assuming neither are their conference's auto), or the OVC at-large.

I also think there's a decent chance that Towson or Elon loses their last 2 and drops out. Both have very tough remaining games (and they play each other this week). Might open the door for one of those 8-3 teams mentioned above or a 7-4 Stony Brook.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 06:30 AM
I think it's getting to the point where if you have 8 wins and are in the MVFC, CAA, Southern, Southland, Big Sky and maybe OVC, getting 8 wins may be a safe bet to getting a bid.

Outside of the CAA, which is really chaotic right now, there's only 8 teams who can accomplish that, and not all of them will.

Originally I thought Wofford was a bubble team, but with this insight, I think we're in at 8 wins.

Which leads me to this question, why strive for a tougher schedule?

If the goal of a SoCon team is "get to 8 wins," then what good is strength of schedule? Furman is likely 8-3 and maybe even 9-2 with Wofford's schedule, which included one bad FBS program and two terrible FCS teams.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Which leads me to this question, why strive for a tougher schedule?

If the goal of a SoCon team is "get to 8 wins," then what good is strength of schedule? Furman is likely 8-3 and maybe even 9-2 with Wofford's schedule, which included one bad FBS program and two terrible FCS teams.

There are several examples each season of major FCS conference teams scheduling OOC powder puffs for this very reason. No real reward for playing a “tough” OOC sked other than the FBS paycheck.

Villanova appears perfectly happy playing 2 Patriot League & a FBS for example. We just stink now & cant win in conference to get to 7 or 8 wins. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM
.......WELL.......LET US....JES'....LOAD UP.....LIKE....NORFFERN IOWAH..........WE CAN ALL BE.....7-4/6-5...........BRAWK!

Cocky
November 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Its not always easy to schedule a good opponent.
Travel cost
Both have to agree
Better teams, better home attendance, means good teams want home games only
Teams in the better conferences have no need for more good games. This eliminates 80% of the good teams.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 07:07 AM
There are several examples each season of major FCS conference teams scheduling OOC powder puffs for this very reason. No real reward for playing a “tough” OOC sked other than the FBS paycheck.

Villanova appears perfectly happy playing 2 Patriot League & a FBS for example. We just stink now & cant win in conference to get to 7 or 8 wins. xpeacex

I mean, if you just use Furman and Wofford as an example.

Furman had Clemson, Elon, and Colgate as their out of conference schedule. Of course, the Colgate game was canceled, but that is two top 10 FCS teams and arguably the #2 football program in the FBS.

Wofford scheduled Wyoming (currently 4-6 in a bad FBS conference), Gardner Webb (3-6), Presbyteriam (2-6).

Wofford and Furman both lost by double digits to Samford. Furman clobbered Wofford in Greenville. Odds are heavy that Wofford ends up 8-3 while Furman potentially finishes 6-4.

If Furman and Wofford are both tied in the SoCon at 6-2, and Furman beat Wofford soundly, and Wofford gets an at large bid simply by scheduling weaker teams than Furman did, I'm not sure I understand why teams would schedule up.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2018, 07:13 AM

Furman had Clemson, Elon, and Colgate as their out of conference schedule. Of course, the Colgate game was canceled, but that is two top 10 FCS teams and arguably the #2 football program in the FBS.

Wofford scheduled Wyoming (currently 4-6 in a bad FBS conference), Gardner Webb (3-6), Presbyteriam (2-6).

Wofford and Furman both lost by double digits to Samford. Furman clobbered Wofford in Greenville. Odds are heavy that Wofford ends up 8-3 while Furman potentially finishes 6-4.

If Furman and Wofford are both tied in the SoCon at 6-2, and Furman beat Wofford soundly, and Wofford gets an at large bid simply by scheduling weaker teams than Furman did, I'm not sure I understand why teams would schedule up.
As Cocky pointed out the tougher your conference is the less important it is to schedule tough OOC. The SOCON is generally good enough I'd say to not have to worry much about scheduling tough OOC if your goal is just to make the playoffs. I think if a SOCON team wants to get seeded or seeded highly then it is important to schedule tough OOC so they don't have to go undefeated or just lose once to FCS teams just to get seeded.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2018, 07:19 AM

....AH'M GUESSIN' (NO LEG WORK).......ELON WAS SKEDED....FEW YEARS AGO....WHEN......DEY WERE ON DUH DOWN SIDE........AN' BAH YER OWN ADMISSION......YOUSE OWNED DUH RAIDERS FO' UH COUPLE.....SO.....YOUSE THOUGHT YER COOKIES....WERE IN DUH JAR..........BUT DEY IMPROVED.....AN' YOUSE WERE STUCK WHIFF 'EM..........SKEDDIN' GAMES CAN BE UH CRAP SHOOT.....DELAWARE'S H/H...AGIN' BIZONSSSSS.......DEY LOSE APPX. 30 SR.'s.......BUT SO DOES DELAWARE..........SO IFIN' YOU-DEE WOOD FIELD ONE UH DEY'RE BETTER TEAMS NEXT YEAR.......NORFF DAKOTAH STATE....COODAH BEEN VULNERABLE....BUT....DEN AH'M GUESSIN'......STUFF LIKE DIS IS CONSIDERED......WHEN DUH BIG BOYS....INK DUH DEALS...........BRAWK!!

kalm
November 6th, 2018, 07:32 AM
The threshold for playoff consideration is 6 D1 wins and the projection appears to be made as the teams stand today not where they will be on Selection Sunday.

As Cocky pointed out the tougher your conference is the less important it is to schedule tough OOC. The SOCON is generally good enough I'd say to not have to worry much about scheduling tough OOC if your goal is just to make the playoffs. I think if a SOCON team wants to get seeded or seeded highly then it is important to schedule tough OOC so they don't have to go undefeated or just lose once to FCS teams just to get seeded.

Sometimes yes, but not a lock. Tell that to EWU last year who played in a better conference against a top 5 SoS.

kalm
November 6th, 2018, 07:35 AM

Yep and Furman, Elon, and Samford are in the same boat.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 07:36 AM
You missed NC A&T. If they get to 9-2 (and FAMU doesn't lose again) they get an at-large I think.

Overall I think it's pretty good although I think a 7-4 (6-2) Maine (even though I hate them) probably bumps either McNeese, ETSU (assuming neither are their conference's auto), or the OVC at-large.

I also think there's a decent chance that Towson or Elon loses their last 2 and drops out. Both have very tough remaining games (and they play each other this week). Might open the door for one of those 8-3 teams mentioned above or a 7-4 Stony Brook.
Thanks - covered A&T in “Assumption 4,” but maybe I got it wrong.

I don’t disagree with you about Maine, but losing to 3-5 (quite possibly 3-7) W&M and a ‘flawed’ Yale Team (I think non-Playoff Mercer beats them by 2 or 3 scores on a decent surface, even without the Bears having their Starting QB, as they didn’t) gives me a lot of heartburn about them. Can’t see them getting in ahead of even an 8-3 ETSU, whose only losses may be to an SEC Team and, potentially, 2 other Playoff Teams. Certainly not if they finish 9-2 with a win over Samford to close out the season.

And I know McNeese’s light hasn’t exactly shined brightly, but if they finish strong, I think they should be in. While bad, I don’t see their losses to I-Word or SELA as bad as losing to W&M & Yale. Probably Southern Football biased though, huh?

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Why would you hate Maine? That's like Alabama hating Kent State. What did we do to you?

My wife went to NDSU and I have to say I like the Bison.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2018, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=maine612;2704874]Why would you hate Maine? That's like Alabama hating Kent State. What did we do to you?

....CAN SHE GET US...ONE UH DEY'RE PLAYBOOKS......FO' NEXT YEAR....xprayx.......AWK!

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Thanks - covered A&T in “Assumption 4,” but maybe I got it wrong.

I don’t disagree with you about Maine, but losing to 3-5 (quite possibly 3-7) W&M and a ‘flawed’ Yale Team (I think non-Playoff Mercer beats them by 2 or 3 scores on a decent surface, even without the Bears having their Starting QB, as they didn’t) gives me a lot of heartburn about them. Can’t see them getting in ahead of even an 8-3 ETSU, whose only losses may be to an SEC Team and, potentially, 2 other Playoff Teams. Certainly not if they finish 9-2 with a win over Samford to close out the season.

And I know McNeese’s light hasn’t exactly shined brightly, but if they finish strong, I think they should be in. While bad, I don’t see their losses to I-Word or SELA as bad as losing to W&M & Yale. Probably Southern Football biased though, huh?
Sorry, missed that bit about A&T.

There's arguments for all of those 8-3 teams plus Maine and Stony Brook at 7-4 over each other. ETSU at 8-3 will have lost to the only two playoff caliber teams they played in Wofford and Samford and have a ton of squeaker wins. They'll take all the guesswork out of it though if they beat Samford since they'd be the SOCON auto but that would also clear up the bubble a bit as Samford wouldn't be an at-large candidate. I don't think Maine's losses at 7-4 would be any worse than McNeese at 8-3 and I think Maine has more impressive wins (as of right now - that could change).

It'll be splitting hairs once you get down to those last few spots as it normally is.

Why would you hate Maine? That's like Alabama hating Kent State. What did we do to you?

I have no idea why I hate them but apparently I do.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?217198-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-10-POLL-2018-SEASON&p=2704342&viewfull=1#post2704342

WestCoastAggie
November 6th, 2018, 09:20 AM

If A&T beats Savannah State, the Florida Classic and Aggie/Eagle barfight will be must see FCS tv!

And real talk, the MEAC Refs “stole” FAMU’s victory over Jackson State in September.

That will be a fun weekend.

mainejeff
November 6th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I love the way that everyone is penciling in a Maine loss to Elon....in late November in Orono, Maine.

Everyone does realize that if Maine wins their final 2 games then they are out of the at-large consideration conversation, right?

Bison56
November 6th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I love the way that everyone is penciling in a Maine loss to Elon....in late November in Orono, Maine.

Everyone does realize that if Maine wins their final 2 games then they are out of the at-large consideration conversation, right?

Its just all the hate for Maine here.

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Sorry, missed that bit about A&T.

There's arguments for all of those 8-3 teams plus Maine and Stony Brook at 7-4 over each other. ETSU at 8-3 will have lost to the only two playoff caliber teams they played in Wofford and Samford and have a ton of squeaker wins. They'll take all the guesswork out of it though if they beat Samford since they'd be the SOCON auto but that would also clear up the bubble a bit as Samford wouldn't be an at-large candidate. I don't think Maine's losses at 7-4 would be any worse than McNeese at 8-3 and I think Maine has more impressive wins (as of right now - that could change).

It'll be splitting hairs once you get down to those last few spots as it normally is.

I have no idea why I hate them but apparently I do.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?217198-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-10-POLL-2018-SEASON&p=2704342&viewfull=1#post2704342

Ugh. I see. Well, Maine is a great place. Beautiful campus with a bunch of fans who grind it out and hope for a playoff qualification every now and then. No reason to hate Maine.

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I usually make it to Fargo once a year for a game. Would like nothing better than a Maine at NDSU playoff game. We'd surely get spanked...but it would be fun...and the Fargo faithful would be great hosts... but man that tailgate would be frigid.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Its just all the hate for Maine here.Why do you have to hate them? Why are you so biased against a perennial powerhouse?

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Hey kingpin...we are practically neighbors...and I must add that Hopkins has one of the best shops around.... ACE Spirits... Where did you go to school?

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Hey kingpin...we are practically neighbors...and I must add that Hopkins has one of the best shops around.... ACE Spirits... Where did you go to school?

612Hopkins. Yeah I grew up here, moved away to Fargo, and then moved back a couple of years ago. Thinking about moving again though. My go to liquor store is Liquor Boy in WestEnd in St. Louis Park

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 10:48 AM

While a strong Elon looks better for Furman, November in Maine sounds like a good way to make Elon rethink their decision to leave the pleasant climate of the Southern Conference.

Schism55
November 6th, 2018, 12:44 PM

One of my best friends lives in Hopkins, and I have spent more $ on beer in Ace than i care to mention here xlolx

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 02:07 PM
One of my best friends lives in Hopkins, and I have spent more $ on beer in Ace than i care to mention here xlolxWhenever I am over there (about a mile or so from my house) I have to stop by Chalet pizza. That place crushes it.

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 02:17 PM
One of my best friends lives in Hopkins, and I have spent more $ on beer in Ace than i care to mention here xlolx

Total respect for the Tragically Hip shout out.

I have played Ahead by a Century approximately 37,863 since Gord passed away.

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Whenever I am over there (about a mile or so from my house) I have to stop by Chalet pizza. That place crushes it.

LTD brewing is pretty sweet. Will stop by Chalet next time to check them out.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 02:29 PM

During the summer, I think I have a PO Box at LTD.

Chalet is a super thin crust style pizza. Would recommend to anyone who likes that style.

Bisonoline
November 6th, 2018, 02:53 PM
During the summer, I think I have a PO Box at LTD.

Chalet is a super thin crust style pizza. Would recommend to anyone who likes that style.

You're killing me.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 02:56 PM
You're killing me.

I also like Casey's Breakfast Pizza with sausage and Brisket Taco's. :D

JSUSoutherner
November 6th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I also like Casey's Breakfast Pizza with sausage and Brisket Taco's. :D
Because you have bad taste.

cx500d
November 6th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Ugh. I see. Well, Maine is a great place. Beautiful campus with a bunch of fans who grind it out and hope for a playoff qualification every now and then. No reason to hate Maine.

As a long time Maine resident (kinda) I enjoyed the hell out of my time living there. I'm the only Bison fan that doesn't hate Maine.

Winterborn
November 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM
As a long time Maine resident (kinda) I enjoyed the hell out of my time living there. I'm the only Bison fan that doesn't hate Maine.

I don't hate them either. They have good seafood, plus a good friend of mine is from up there.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Maine is my favorite Province!

Go...gate
November 6th, 2018, 05:15 PM
You're killing me.

Me, too. I love thin crust pizza!

Cocky
November 6th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Nice documentary on YouTube about Gord

Schism55
November 6th, 2018, 07:20 PM

If you are a Hip fan, this is a must see
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7043176/
It's on Netflix, and is incredible. Have Kleenex at the ready ;)

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 07:32 PM
If you are a Hip fan, this is a must see
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7043176/
It's on Netflix, and is incredible. Have Kleenex at the ready ;)

Yes I have seen it... 4 or 5 times. What I would pay to have been at that last show in Kingston. What a band. I grew up in Maine near the Canadian border so was lucky to be exposed to them in the early days. I probably have played Fully Completely more than any other album when considering front to back plays. I wear my Barilko Maple Leaf jersey around town and Wild fans get annoyed. If they only knew...

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Yes I have seen it... 4 or 5 times. What I would pay to have been at that last show in Kingston. What a band. I grew up in Maine near the Canadian border so was lucky to be exposed to them in the early days. I probably have played Fully Completely more than any other album when considering front to back plays. I wear my Barilko Maple Leaf jersey around town and Wild fans get annoyed. If they only knew...

That's damn near heretical in The State of Hockey, not Barilko, but the Maple Leafs. Nothing but respect for Barilko. NorthStar jerseys are more than acceptable tho. :D

Schism55
November 6th, 2018, 07:36 PM

Good times! Bill Barilko story is amazing. 50 Mission Cap is probably my fave Hip song.
That Kingston concert is sooo freaking great. Bought it on amazon prime the day it came out ;)

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 08:11 PM
That's damn near heretical in The State of Hockey, not Barilko, but the Maple Leafs. Nothing but respect for Barilko. NorthStar jerseys are more than acceptable tho. :D

I've never really understood the self-proclaimed State of Hockey thing... would seem that Michigan would have more to claim... but no biggie.

I grew up a Nordiques fan..people seem to respect that jersey. And my Maine jersey gets the thumbs up usually too.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I've never really understood the self-proclaimed State of Hockey thing... would seem that Michigan would have more to claim... but no biggie.

I grew up a Nordiques fan..people seem to respect that jersey. And my Maine jersey gets the thumbs up usually too.

It's due to the fact that Minnesota produces the most hockey players at the top levels in America, our State tournament for the boys, is by far, one of the best in any sport across the US, and it is practically our religion.

maine612
November 6th, 2018, 08:36 PM
It's due to the fact that Minnesota produces the most hockey players at the top levels in America, our State tournament for the boys, is by far, one of the best in any sport across the US, and it is practically our religion.

Interesting. Didn't realize that statistic. Would have guessed Massachusetts...or even California these days. Hockey tourney here is big...that's for sure.

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Interesting. Didn't realize that statistic. Would have guessed Massachusetts...or even California these days. Hockey tourney here is big...that's for sure.

Last year was the first year that I missed The Tourney in 6 years.

Cocky
November 6th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Here is the youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2LpK35VDLk&t=5796s

Trumpster
November 7th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Sorry for jumping in late here but LTD maxes out at mediocre. The only thing I'd write home about LTD is a recommendation to skip it.

maine612
November 7th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Sorry for jumping in late here but LTD maxes out at mediocre. The only thing I'd write home about LTD is a recommendation to skip it.

That is fair. There are many better places in the area...and we are lucky to have them. My favorites are Bauhaus in Northeast and Wooden Hill in Edina. Fulton always great too.

- - - Updated - - -

Last year was the first year that I missed The Tourney in 6 years.

I have lived in and around Edina for 11 years... still haven't been to a single high school hockey game....

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2018, 10:02 AM
That is fair. There are many better places in the area...and we are lucky to have them. My favorites are Bauhaus in Northeast and Wooden Hill in Edina. Fulton always great too.

- - - Updated - - -

I have lived in and around Edina for 11 years... still haven't been to a single high school hockey game....

612Wooden Hill is legit. They had a Saison that made me go up for not just seconds but thirds. My favorites in the state are Junkyard, Enki, and Disgruntled. My dad lived in Edina for about 6 years. The boys state tournament is one of the best 4 days in Minnesota sports.

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Thought this referenced bracketology more than bubbles, but it concerns both. This is the latest update from the Southland Conference: https://southland.org/news/2018/11/6/administration-southland-conference-clarifies-football-champion-determination.aspx

"FRISCO, Texas – With two weeks remaining in its football regular season, the Southland Conference has clarified how the league may possibly determine its champion and NCAA automatic qualifier to the 2018 NCAA Division I Football Championship. Because all Southland teams do not play the same number of league games, the number of conference-game losses will be used to determine placement in its final standings.

The clarification details Incarnate Word’s possible finish, and perhaps its opportunity to clinch at least a share of the Southland championship and its NCAA AQ, despite only playing eight conference games instead of nine like other teams do. UIW is currently tied for first place with McNeese and Nicholls, all 5-2 in the league standings.

In the Southland’s scheduling format, 10 of its 11 football teams play a nine-game schedule, while one team must play eight games. Since the schedule model was approved by the membership, Houston Baptist (2015 and 2016) and Incarnate Word (2017 and 2018) have served as the eight-game teams. HBU will return as the eight-game team in the 2019 and 2020 schedules.

UIW has one remaining league game Saturday at Central Arkansas, while most other Southland teams have two conference matchups left. Additionally, multiple three-loss teams are just behind the three league leaders. UIW’s final placement, with two or three losses, will be identical to other teams with the same number of losses, even though the other teams will have an additional win that reflects their nine-game schedule.

If Incarnate Word is the only remaining two-loss team at the end of the regular season, it shall be Conference champion and the recipient of the NCAA automatic berth. Further, UIW’s placement in the final standings shall be honored through any tie-breaking procedures necessary to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier. "

Outsider1
November 8th, 2018, 10:12 AM
This has been the issue in the SLC:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29438&stc=1

BEAR
November 8th, 2018, 10:19 AM

#end9gameconferenceschedules

- - - Updated - - -