Conference standings:

1. McNeese 5-2
1. Nicholls 5-2
1. IWU 5-2

4. UCA 4-3
4. ACU 4-3
4. Lamar 4-3
4. SHSU 4-3

Mcneese has Lamar left in Lake Charles. I wouldn't want to be them. Lamar is on a roll.
Nicholls has SLU in Tib.
IWU has to play at UCA this week.

Big losses for a bunch of teams this week. Who has the best chance to win the conference? What happened to SHSU and UCAs backup QBs who started off so well? What happened to UCAs or McNeese's defense? All but two teams ( McNeese and Nicholls) have 4 division I losses. Will all the teams in our conference have at least 4 losses? When was the last time that happened?!

My picks:

McNeese at NWST
ACU at SHSU
SFA at Nicholls
IWU at UCA
HBU at Lamar
SLU at Bye U.

Wildcat1997
November 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
McNeese
ACU
Nicholls
IWU
Lamar
SLU

bonarae
November 4th, 2018, 04:21 PM
McNeese
ACU
Nicholls
IWU
Lamar

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:35 PM
UCA and ACU, the dyslexic twins. Isn't it UIW? Quit flipping letters!

If anyone is picking McNeese, please reconsider.

If you have ESPN3, watch the replay of yesterday's game with SLU if you are brave enough. Six points! That's it. Six points against supposedly one of the worst defenses in the SLC. (No disrespect to SLU.) Northwestern State scored 47 points on ACU at ACU. McNeese is lucky to score 20 in a game. I bet the Demons are fired up! This may be their chance to end their long losing string to the hated Cowboys.
This is no sandbagging. Every facet of the Cowboys -- offense, defense, special teams, water boys and girls -- were awful. So much time in the redzone only to turn it over or commit a costly penalty.

Some of us have been telling y'all this for a while, but you just don't believe how discombobulated this team is.

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:37 PM
McNeese at NWST
ACU at SHSU
SFA at Nicholls
IWU at UCA
HBU at Lamar
SLU at Bye U.

Conference standings:

1. McNeese 5-2
1. Nicholls 5-2
1. IWU 5-2

4. UCA 4-3
4. ACU 4-3
4. Lamar 4-3
4. SHSU 4-3

Mcneese has Lamar left in Lake Charles. I wouldn't want to be them. Lamar is on a roll.
Nicholls has SLU in Tib.
IWU has to play at UCA this week.

Big losses for a bunch of teams this week. Who has the best chance to win the conference? What happened to SHSU and UCAs backup QBs who started off so well? What happened to UCAs or McNeese's defense? All but two teams ( McNeese and Nicholls) have 4 division I losses. Will all the teams in our conference have at least 4 losses? When was the last time that happened?!

My picks:

McNeese at NWST
ACU at SHSU
SFA at Nicholls
IWU at UCA
HBU at Lamar
SLU at Bye U.

SFA over Nicholls? Yes, this has been a CRAZY year in the SLC, but do you really think this is possible, and why? This is almost as bad as choosing McNeese over the Demons.

Outsider1
November 4th, 2018, 07:33 PM
No way am I picking this week. Just go out there fight hard, play clean and no injuries!!

McNeese72
November 4th, 2018, 08:04 PM
And I thought at the beginning of the season that this pick'em game would be fun and not too hard. I think I was wrong.

McNeese at NWST: After what I saw in Hammond, I am not picking us to win another game. I hope I am wrong but I can't pick us in any game. ;)
ACU at SHSU: I think Sam bounces back
SFA at Nicholls: Don't think SFA can do it in Thibodaux
IWU at UCA: I have no clue so I am flipping a coin.
HBU at Lamar: Lamar is just too strong for HBU
SLU at Bye U. SLU has a letdown from this past weekend but is able to pull it out. ;)

Doc

BEAR
November 4th, 2018, 08:31 PM
SFA over Nicholls? Yes, this has been a CRAZY year in the SLC, but do you really think this is possible, and why? This is almost as bad as choosing McNeese over the Demons.

After the games you seen with SLC teams this year, are you seriously asking me that question?! xlolx Conference records confirm this is anyones title to take and upsets just aren't upsets this year no matter who is playing who. Just my opinion. But when McNeese with its daunting defense can't stop SLU... I just can't say there are FOR SURE favorites in any game. Again, just my opinion.

lionsrking2
November 4th, 2018, 09:16 PM
After the games you seen with SLC teams this year, are you seriously asking me that question?! xlolx Conference records confirm this is anyones title to take and upsets just aren't upsets this year no matter who is playing who. Just my opinion. But when McNeese with its daunting defense can't stop SLU... I just can't say there are FOR SURE favorites in any game. Again, just my opinion.

The Southland Conference is a basket of mediocre. Mostly decent teams capable of just about anything (one way or the other) on a given Saturday. Nicholls is the best team and probably the most consistent, but McNeese is the only team that controls it's own destiny. But from what I saw yesterday, they will struggle to win another game. Could very well end up a one bid league.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2018, 09:20 PM
McNeese at NWST The Demon have been throwing up points all year. The Pokes, not so much.
ACU at SHSU Wildcats seem to be rolling pretty good now
SFA at Nicholls Nicholls is the strongest team in the conference at this time IMO
UIW at UCA Cinderella has not been so pretty at away games
HBU at Lamar Cards should take this one.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2018, 09:21 PM
McNeese at NWST The Demon have been throwing up points all year. The Pokes, not so much.
SFA at Nicholls Nicholls is the strongest team in the conference at this time IMO

McCowboys
November 5th, 2018, 06:13 AM
The Southland Conference is a basket of mediocre. Mostly decent teams capable of just about anything (one way or the other) on a given Saturday. Nicholls is the best team and probably the most consistent, but McNeese is the only team that controls it's own destiny. But from what I saw yesterday, they will struggle to win another game. Could very well end up a one bid league.

You won't get any argument from most McNeese fans, Mr. Lion.

Keith Zembower on his daily blog and the reader comments express that something is terribly wrong in Cowboy Nation.

Today in the Lake Charles American Press, Michael Berry the LCAP beat writer, exposes why McNeese is not a playoff team and ALL the really bad horrible things which the Cowboys did at SLU.

As I said, this may be the Demons year to finally take out years of frustration against the Cowboys, and Lamar may be playing the best football in the SLC at the moment. Scary! I love my Cowboys, but it may be best for them to be put out of their misery before being slaughtered in the playoffs. It is a shame that our offense is so hideous, as our defense is actually pretty good.

Daytripper
November 5th, 2018, 07:14 AM
McNeese at NWST
ACU at SHSU
SFA at Nicholls
IWU at UCA
HBU at Lamar
SLU at Bye U

BEAR
November 5th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Lamar is playing well toward the end of the year. But it may be too little too late.

Nicholls is playing the most consistent. They should be the only rep of the SLC in the playoffs.

If UCAs defense that showed up in the second half vs Lamar shows up ALL game long against IWU, Nicholls may be alone after this week.

Hood
November 5th, 2018, 08:08 AM
And we'll wind up in Montana in another blizzard.

BEAR
November 5th, 2018, 08:35 AM
And we'll wind up in Montana in another blizzard.

Yep. Been there. Done that. xlolx

Catatonic
November 5th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Lamar is playing well toward the end of the year. But it may be too little too late.

Nicholls is playing the most consistent. They should be the only rep of the SLC in the playoffs.

If UCAs defense that showed up in the second half vs Lamar shows up ALL game long against IWU, Nicholls may be alone after this week.

UIW and Lamar present very different challenges for a defense.

bwbear
November 5th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I don't have a magic 8 ball that has the names of the schools. Seems like that may be just as accurate as anything else this season.

McNeese at NWST
ACU at SHSU
SFA at Nicholls
IWU at UCA
HBU at Lamar
SLU at Bye U

My prediction is minus NWST, it is a good week for home teams.

And if I get above 50%, I'll be surprised this year.

Katfan
November 5th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I have no idea who will win this week in the SLC!

Bear84
November 5th, 2018, 04:35 PM
McNeese at NWST, in spite of all the sandbagging, Cowboys still have a tough defense and may be mad enough about last week to squeak by.
ACU at SHSU, does Sammy have any gas left in the tank?
SFA at Nicholls, best team in the SLC right now should handle things at home.
IWU at CAU, bear defense has shown no ability to stop the pass all season. Will get worse in the first annual "Dyslexia Bowl".
HBU at Lamar, no contest.

McCowboys
November 5th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Northwestern State got their starting QB back in time to play ACU Saturday, and the Demons may have the best WR in the league. If it is a shootout like it was with UIW, McNeese doesn't have much of a chance. I would say UNLESS Northwestern's defense is bad, but so, supposedly, was SLU's. Can you imagine how fired up the Demons must be??? They have not beaten the Cowboys in forever, and the Demons can almost taste it now - sweet revenge.

Catatonic
November 6th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Northwestern State got their starting QB back in time to play ACU Saturday, and the Demons may have the best WR in the league. If it is a shootout like it was with UIW, McNeese doesn't have much of a chance. I would say UNLESS Northwestern's defense is bad, but so, supposedly, was SLU's. Can you imagine how fired up the Demons must be??? They have not beaten the Cowboys in forever, and the Demons can almost taste it now - sweet revenge.

jazz is a stud receiver but NWSU has other quality receivers. If Eppler has enough time he will find an open target. For some inexplicable reason we switched from a 4 to a 3 man front midway through the game and Eppler picked us apart. Their receivers got away with pushing off our defenders..hopefully your coaches will pick this up in films and plan accordingly.

You are 3 1/2 point favorites but I agree this game could go either way.

Catatonic
November 6th, 2018, 07:24 AM

my thoughts exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

my thoughts exactly.

Catatonic
November 6th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Here is what I want to happen based on what will help ACU move up in the standings.

McNeese at NWST.
ACU at SHSU. Both ACU and NWST are 3 point dogs, but there is a realistic shot at two minor upsets here.
SFA at Nicholls. Not likely but any given Saturday.
IWU at UCA. the Bears are 7 point favorites but they better not assume a W over UIW. The Cards can score some points.
HBU at Lamar. A fella can dream. Sic em. huskies.
SLU at Bye U.

Outsider1
November 6th, 2018, 08:09 AM
jazz is a stud receiver but NWSU has other quality receivers. If Eppler has enough time he will find an open target. For some inexplicable reason we switched from a 4 to a 3 man front midway through the game and Eppler picked us apart. Their receivers got away with pushing off our defenders..hopefully your coaches will pick this up in films and plan accordingly.

You are 3 1/2 point favorites but I agree this game could go either way.

Besides picking us apart in the 2nd half, NSU was VERY good at stripping the ball from us and managed to put some decent brakes on our offense. McNeese will have their hands full. My personal side tells McNeese to make NSU pay dearly. My hopeful side for ACU says we need McNeese to lose. I am torn....

McNeese75
November 6th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Besides picking us apart in the 2nd half, NSU was VERY good at stripping the ball from us and managed to put some decent brakes on our offense. McNeese will have their hands full. My personal side tells McNeese to make NSU pay dearly. My hopeful side for ACU says we need McNeese to lose. I am torn....

I think the odds are pretty well in your favor on that wish.

Outsider1
November 6th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Ok Bearkats, after facing NSU's stud receivers and Eppler, what are we going to run into with you guys? No sandbagging. Our pass defense has been decent, but NSU picked us apart in the 2nd half. We didn't pass rush as much as we did in the 1st half and Eppler seemed to find guys that just weren't covered well. Between Brock/Dare and Davis/Stewart/Scott/Bowens we will have our hands full. Even Jackson is getting some decent passing yards when he isn't rushing. Our rush defense has been stout more than not, which is why I ask more about your passing. We did a little better against the QB run last week. I am hoping we can keep that up.

Daytripper
November 6th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Ok Bearkats, after facing NSU's stud receivers and Eppler, what are we going to run into with you guys? No sandbagging. Our pass defense has been decent, but NSU picked us apart in the 2nd half. We didn't pass rush as much as we did in the 1st half and Eppler seemed to find guys that just weren't covered well. Between Brock/Dare and Davis/Stewart/Scott/Bowens we will have our hands full. Even Jackson is getting some decent passing yards when he isn't rushing. Our rush defense has been stout more than not, which is why I ask more about your passing. We did a little better against the QB run last week. I am hoping we can keep that up.

All I can say is that we are consistently inconsistent this season. We have had glimpses of a very efficient and productive offense. But our QBs just are not able to distribute the ball consistently to our best playmakers (except Davis, whose status is in doubt because of a knee injury). We still have playmakers, but they aren't making enough plays. We have found a running back in Kyran Jackson, but we have no depth at that position. Our OL has been decimated by injuries. Our offensive coordinator seems to want to turn Brock into a Jeremiah Briscoe clone even though he is more suited to running RPO type plays. Turnovers have killed any offensive consistency that we may have had. Our defense is better than in seasons past, but still not very good. We have some very talented, but very young, defensive backs. Our D-line and linebackers are good and get to the passer but have trouble stopping the run. Your QB better be looking out for Derrick Roberson when he drops back. He's a sack machine but not much else.

Outsider1
November 6th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks Daytripper that is a nice analysis. I am definitely not going to miss this game. Unfortunately I had to miss the last one and listen to it on the radio until I drove out of range. Our pass rush has been good in most other games. Our secondary has made a lot of great plays, but at times still gets beat or doesn't turn around enough. We have been more consistent than times past, but like last week, and a couple of other times, showed...We don't adjust quite right. Our fight is still strong. Offensively, we have Fuller back but he still isn't 100%. We still have a lot of other receiver targets. McCrary hurt his ankle and didn't play the 2nd half last week. I expect most of that is to save him for these next two weeks. He was still walking and jogging on the sideline, but not enough to play and further injur it. Both James and White are stud rushers and we haven't this deep for RBs in a long time. I will be interested to see how our line play holds up these last two games. So far, Anthony is progressing in his ability to throw under pressure but he is still vulnerable at times.

BEAR
November 7th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Any injuries/suspensions/sit-outs us fans need to know to make or change our choices?

Outsider1
November 7th, 2018, 09:16 AM
I don't think we have any game changing injuries. We had several guys back against NSU after our bye week. Billy McCrary was out for the 2nd half but mainly so that he stayed healthy enough for the final two games. Dakota Laws, one of our main OL, was hurt a little in the 2nd half of the NSU game, but I don't think he will be out. He has had some shoulder issues all season. Jack Lechamn, one of our main LBs, had to retire football due to a concussion several games ago but hasn't been playing for a while. DJ Fuller is still coming back after his early season injury. Whether or not he plays bigger roles against SHSU and UCA I don't know. He hasn't played a primary role since the Baylor game. As a team, it still depends on how we show up, and adjust, for the game on any given day...

McNeese72
November 7th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Any injuries/suspensions/sit-outs us fans need to know to make or change our choices?

When it comes to McNeese, who knows and does it even matter when making your choices. ;)

Doc

Outsider1
November 7th, 2018, 12:39 PM
When it comes to McNeese, who knows and does it even matter when making your choices. ;)

Doc

Good point Doc

Catatonic
November 9th, 2018, 07:50 AM
ACU injury update. RB Billy McCrary remains day to day. Coach Dorrel has apparently picked up free agent RB Keyondrick Philio from UIW to take his place. At least that what the ACU depth chart in the Sam Houston game notes show. :)

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/19900/pdf/2018_SHSU_FB_Game_Notes_ACU.pdf?&&&DB_OEM_ID=19900&_ga=2.199809640.739465505.1541758932-824678957.1541758932

BEAR
November 9th, 2018, 12:33 PM
ACU injury update. RB Billy McCrary remains day to day. Coach Dorrel has apparently picked up free agent RB Keyondrick Philio from UIW to take his place. At least that what the ACU depth chart in the Sam Houston game notes show. :)

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/19900/pdf/2018_SHSU_FB_Game_Notes_ACU.pdf?&&&DB_OEM_ID=19900&_ga=2.199809640.739465505.1541758932-824678957.1541758932

Oh good grief.... this conference doesn't get it. xsmhx

If I recall right, which I may not, UCA and SHSU have brothers who are playing against each other. Pretty cool seeing the mom with a half and half jersey on gameday. I might be wrong on the team but I think I recall it being SHSU.

McNeese72
November 9th, 2018, 03:01 PM
McNeese injury update: Half the team. We just don't know which half. ;)

Doc

Demonguy
November 9th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Yep. Been there. Done that. xlolx

The Demons did that three years in a row back in the early 2000s

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Season done.LSU in town. cold. First day of deer season. = nobody here.

Outsider1
November 10th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Nicholls won theirs, UCA lost, McNeese is scoreless so far. Does Nicholls get the auto and UIW th at-large?

TheRevSFA
November 10th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Nicholls won theirs, UCA lost, McNeese is scoreless so far. Does Nicholls get the auto and UIW th at-large?

UIW gets the AQ

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 08:05 PM
UIW gets the AQ. That leaves the committee with the decision about which team gets an at large. Nicholls? McNeese? Or maybe both?

Catatonic
November 10th, 2018, 08:30 PM
UIW gets the AQ. That leaves the committee with the decision about which team gets an at large. Nicholls? McNeese? Or maybe both?

why does UIW get the autobid? If they win next week UIW and Nichollos will each have two losses and Nicholls won the head to head. Not trying to pick a fight, I’m just curious

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 08:38 PM
I believe if a tie happens that the longest since last playoff appearance gets the AQ. Unless the tie is broken by the head to head. But seriously this conference will only get one team. A 9-2 McNeese last year was left out. Not a good year for the SLC.

Outsider1
November 10th, 2018, 08:49 PM
why does UIW get the autobid? If they win next week UIW and Nichollos will each have two losses and Nicholls won the head to head. Not trying to pick a fight, I’m just curious

I was kind of wondering the same. We should get 2 in this year, but afraid it may not happen. I think the SLC in general may get 2-3 in next year if things sort out a little better, but would surprised if we get 3.

Outsider1
November 10th, 2018, 08:51 PM

Why all the complaining on BearKat Nation? It was a hard fought game on both sides tonight and SHSU lost to a good ACU team. Honestly, there were times that game could have gone the other way. I know you guys are used to winning and I give you guys respect.

Bear84
November 10th, 2018, 09:20 PM
The first tiebreaker is head to head, then record against the highest remaining common opponent in the final standings. The only way UIW gets the AQ is if Nicholls loses against SELA or possibly if Nicholls and McNeese win out and create a 3 way tie with no clear head to head winner.

BEAR
November 10th, 2018, 10:07 PM
It's Nicholls and IWU.

Serpentor
November 10th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Why all the complaining on BearKat Nation? It was a hard fought game on both sides tonight and SHSU lost to a good ACU team. Honestly, there were times that game could have gone the other way. I know you guys are used to winning and I give you guys respect.

Because our offense played incompetently. Losing a hard-fought game with your offense giving it their all, as much as it still sucks, is understandable. Losing because your team is INCAPABLE of scoring, even in the red zone, is unacceptable. At least our defense fought hard and kept a tough team to just 17 points.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Congrats to ACU on a good win. Nicholls should be a lock for the playoffs. The rest is a cluster-****.

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Congrats to ACU on a good win. Nicholls should be a lock for the playoffs. The rest is a cluster-****.

Nicholls is no lock but the rest is a cluster. The whole league is a cluster. Today's results pretty much ensure it being a one-bid league in 2018.

katss07
November 10th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Not sure if you quoted the wrong person, but I’m not complaining!

I was at the game until the bitter end and yes I’m disappointed. I’m not complaining though because I could see it coming. The O-Line was terrible, the offense was incompetent and I felt like the play calling could have been much better. Informed Bearkat fans know what has happened to this team. We are younger and beat up. But I’m not personally complaining and I don’t recall doing it once during the game.

Regardless, I think Kat fans were maybe expecting a better showing. Everything was so...uninspired. SHSU is more talented than ACU, but the Wildcats had a gameplan, good intensity and lots of energy. They wanted it more. ACU is a good team and looked even better in person. From the stadium to the fans and staff it seems like there is something special going on. Maybe I’ll make the trip west next year. I hope you enjoyed Huntsville.

McCowboys
November 11th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Congratulations to the Demons on breaking the 13-game losing streak to the Cowboys. I figured McNeese couldn't win the game if it became a shootout. The Demons got down, didn't quit, and came back to win. McNeese's offense scored some points and were set up nicely by some good special team plays, but played not to lose instead of playing to win. Ironically, it was our good special teams that let McNeese down in the end.

Good luck to the Demons next week as they play SFA for Chief Caddo. The Demons, if they win, would end the year on a two-game win streak and would retain the big statue for the second year in a row.

Looking at the current standings in the SLC, and it has certainly been a topsy-turvy year with UIW, ACU, and Lamar at or near the top and UCA, Sam, and McNeese struggling. AGS!

Outsider1
November 11th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Not sure if you quoted the wrong person, but I知 not complaining!

I was at the game until the bitter end and yes I知 disappointed. I知 not complaining though because I could see it coming. The O-Line was terrible, the offense was incompetent and I felt like the play calling could have been much better. Informed Bearkat fans know what has happened to this team. We are younger and beat up. But I知 not personally complaining and I don稚 recall doing it once during the game.

Regardless, I think Kat fans were maybe expecting a better showing. Everything was so...uninspired. SHSU is more talented than ACU, but the Wildcats had a gameplan, good intensity and lots of energy. They wanted it more. ACU is a good team and looked even better in person. From the stadium to the fans and staff it seems like there is something special going on. Maybe I値l make the trip west next year. I hope you enjoyed Huntsville.No, not you katss07, just thought you could offer good insight. I got hit hard when I came down hard on my Cats for letting NSU come back against us rather than give NSU the credit they deserved. We fixed issues this week we saw from the NSU game. It just seemed the Bearkat fans were being a little too hard on their team rather than give some credit as to why they had such a hard time. Maybe the "more talent" thing isn't as real as we all sometimes think. Right now I'm sitting in Denny's about to start the long trip back. I missed the game in Abilene last year and wasn't going to miss it this year, especially when it was in Huntsville.... You guys didn't disappoint us. I don't think your guys disappointed you as much as may be believed.

Sent from my BLU_S1 using Tapatalk