PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Week 11 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 3rd, 2018, 07:43 PM
I was 2-3 last week. VMI got their first win while ETSU claims a share of the SoCon title. Here is where I have it after this week:

1) ETSU (IN) - Claims their first SoCon title in program history.
2) Samford (OUT*) - Keeps their autobid hopes alive for another week.
3) Wofford (1 of 2) - Failed in their quest to lock down a share of the title this week.
4) Furman (OUT*) - Spoiled Chattanooga's chances
5) Chattanooga (1 of 2) - Fell off the tracks
6) The Citadel (OUT) - Surprised on the road
7) Mercer (OUT) - Got themselves a not too shabby QB
8) Western Carolina (OUT) - Suffered a second-half collapse
9) VMI (OUT) - Finally got a win.

* can only see the playoffs with the autobid

Autobid Status
ETSU claims autobid next week with Samford and Wofford loss.

This Week's Games
Mercer @ Chattanooga - Mocs find a way to get another win
Furman @ VMI - Paladins ensures a winless conference team for another year
Samford @ The Citadel (Upset Special of the Week) - Lowcountry Bulldogs defend this house
Wofford @ Western Carolina - Would love to pick the Catamounts in this one but they're done

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 07:53 PM
I don't see why you keep listing Furman as "OUT"

7 D1 wins is not a prerequisite. The Paladins have no control over a hurricane that caused a game cancellation. At 6-4, they'll have a resume as good as many 7-4 teams with a win over a lower division squad.

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 07:53 PM
I like The Citadel's chances against a coach who needed two years to figure out Jayson Foster should be a quarterback...

kdinva
November 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
I like The Citadel's chances against a coach who needed two years to figure out Jayson Foster should be a quarterback...

hello, where ya been?

Do you like VMI's chances vs. Furman?

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 08:07 PM
I don't see why you keep listing Furman as "OUT"

7 D1 wins is not a prerequisite. The Paladins have no control over a hurricane that caused a game cancellation. At 6-4, they'll have a resume as good as many 7-4 teams with a win over a lower division squad.

vermin is "out" because y'all are totally gay.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 08:31 PM

I am pulling for you! xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

hello, where ya been?

Do you like VMI's chances vs. Furman?

Congrats on the win!

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 08:56 PM
Furman is still well alive for the autobid, go ahead and mark that down

Furman beats vmi and mercer
Wofford beats western
Samford loses to citadel and beats etsu

That gives Furman the autobid!!!! woop! Let's go CITADEL BABY xthumbsupx

ElCid
November 3rd, 2018, 09:11 PM

Wofford beats western

No, see my post in the other thread. Furman loses the point tie breaker big time if your scenario above happens. Furman is screwed most likely even if they win out. And beating Mercer is not a given in any event.

It will become clearer after next week.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:13 PM
No, see my post in the other thread. Furman loses the point tie breaker big time if your scenario above happens. Furman is screwed most likely even if they win out. And beating Mercer is not a given in any event.

It will become clearer after next week.

No way dude you are wrong, think how ridiculous that would be to decide a tie between 3 teams by looking at other completely unbalanced games, that is absurd

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:14 PM
Its between those 3 teams, to see who preformed better between those 3 against each other to decide the tie

Furman has given up 46

Wofford has given up 51

ETSU has given up 57

ElCid
November 3rd, 2018, 09:23 PM
Its between those 3 teams, to see who preformed better between those 3 against each other to decide the tie

Furman has given up 46

Wofford has given up 51

ETSU has given up 57

Lets stick to one thread, I gave yet another explanation and it may very well be, at least, only conf games, but I don't see how it can be only between the games of tied teams when it does not say that.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:26 PM
Lets stick to one thread, I gave yet another explanation and it may very well be, at least, only conf games, but I don't see how it can be only between the games of tied teams when it does not say that.

Other thread it is xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:41 PM
I know its a 4 quarter game a rightfully so, but I think the future is bright in Greenville, we need a few more weapons and a bit more depth but we are close

Furman has had at least 2 score 2nd half leads in every SoCon game this year so far

In 2nd half of 6 SoCon games:
Lead ETSU 27-6
Lead WCU 38-17
Lead Wofford 34-14
Lead Samford 19-10 (and driving before long fumble TD return for sammy)
Lead Citadel 28-17
Lead UTC 16-3

Sorry I know I am tooting our own horn, but I am happy to be encouraged again now after being down about us early in the year

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 11:50 PM
I know its a 4 quarter game a rightfully so, but I think the future is bright in Greenville, we need a few more weapons and a bit more depth but we are close

Furman has had at least 2 score 2nd half leads in every SoCon game this year so far

In 2nd half of 6 SoCon games:
Lead ETSU 27-6
Lead WCU 38-17
Lead Wofford 34-14
Lead Samford 19-10 (and driving before long fumble TD return for sammy)
Lead Citadel 28-17
Lead UTC 16-3

Sorry I know I am tooting our own horn, but I am happy to be encouraged again now after being down about us early in the year
I KNOW honesty is not very important to you Southern Baptists because if it was you couldn't believe the outrageous lies that your religious beliefs require you to but the above is just paladin****..

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 11:56 PM
I KNOW honesty is not very important to you Southern Baptists because if it was you couldn't believe the outrageous lies that your religious beliefs require you to but the above is just paladin****..

Not at all, its a good sign things are going in a positive direction, with a few more weapons we can be legit xthumbsupx

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 12:14 AM
We started a new QB today. It was like night and day. Not that our previous was bad, but the new starter (last year's starting B-Back) seemed to be able to run much harder and it showed. Had we used him previously I think the outcome of at least a couple games might have been different. But I am not sure if the success was due to just the change or WCU's not too difficult defense. I think it is probably somewhere in between the two. Not sure if we start him again next week or go with our regular. Apparently our starter was suspended for the game along with a couple other of our starting backs. So we had some youth out there today. But they rushed for 421 yards even with 5 fumbles. Bodes well in any event.

Samford will be tough but doable if we can contain Hodges. Our D stepped up in the second half big time against WCU as well. 8 second half drives by WCU ended with 4 punts (2 blocked), 2 forced fumbles, an INT, and turnover on downs. Also had 5 sacks. That is turning things around on D for sure. Especially considering how prolific their O is. We did give up some big plays though in the first half and that worries me against Samford. At least we have them at home.

bonarae
November 4th, 2018, 12:16 AM
Chattanooga
Furman
The Citadel (shootout)
Wofford

citdog
November 4th, 2018, 12:53 AM
We started a new QB today. It was like night and day. Not that our previous was bad, but the new starter (last year's starting B-Back) seemed to be able to run much harder and it showed. Had we used him previously I think the outcome of at least a couple games might have been different. But I am not sure if the success was due to just the change or WCU's not too difficult defense. I think it is probably somewhere in between the two. Not sure if we start him again next week or go with our regular. Apparently our starter was suspended for the game along with a couple other of our starting backs. So we had some youth out there today. But they rushed for 421 yards even with 5 fumbles. Bodes well in any event.

Samford will be tough but doable if we can contain Hodges. Our D stepped up in the second half big time against WCU as well. 8 second half drives by WCU ended with 4 punts (2 blocked), 2 forced fumbles, an INT, and turnover on downs. Also had 5 sacks. That is turning things around on D for sure. Especially considering how prolific their O is. We did give up some big plays though in the first half and that worries me against Samford. At least we have them at home.

The D line was fantastic in the 2nd half. #10 checked out weeks ago and Rainey runs MAD. I'd play Rainey next week and then throw #10 at 'Bama and let him get beat up. Bring Rainey back against ladson northern.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Well, I'd say my mocs are pretty much toast. Definitely saw some improvement this year. Some positives to take away, but overall cant say there is much confidence that we can beat Furman and maybe a few other conference opponents the way things look right now. I hope Arth is recruiting his ass off.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 04:40 AM
The D line was fantastic in the 2nd half. #10 checked out weeks ago and Rainey runs MAD. I'd play Rainey next week and then throw #10 at 'Bama and let him get beat up. Bring Rainey back against ladson northern.

Watching the first half, I feared that Citadel was destined for packing up their tent early like last year. Good to see them fight back and win on the road.

sudog03
November 4th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Extremely proud of Samford. Wofford got very little with their offense and had to resort to two trick plays to score their 2 touchdowns. After a very slow start to conference play, Samford has gotten off the mat and showed why they were picked to win the league. Still may do that.

woffordgrad94
November 4th, 2018, 06:48 AM
What a mess. This is a conference bursting with parody-mainly because it’s overall just an average conference. I don’t think the SoCon has anyone who can really make a lot of noise in the playoffs. Right now, though ETSU tops the standings, I think Samford and Furman may be playing the best ball at this moment...the SoCon’s best hopes in the postseason. The Bucs have done a lot of squeaking by, though you have to give them a tremendous amount of credit for coming as far as they have with their program. Furman is kind of a question mark to get a bid for reasons discussed here ad nauseum. Wofford is now on the bubble even if they win their last two. It is difficult to rank the teams right now. But in a three-their system. I would put ETSU, Samford, Furman, and with some reservation Wofford in the top tier as teams with playoff hopes. Then Mercer, The Citadel, and Chattanooga in the second tier...these teams are average and likely have no realistic shot at the playoffs. Finally WCU and VMI go in the third tier as below average teams.

Wofford 48, WCU 21...The Terriers should be able to run at will on the defenseless CANTamounts.
Furman 52, VMI 14...total blowout
Chattanooga 21, Mercer 17...give the Mocs the edge at home in a good matchup
Samford 28, The Citadel 14...second week in a row facing the option for Samford

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 07:34 AM
What a mess. This is a conference bursting with parody-mainly because it’s overall just an average conference. I don’t think the SoCon has anyone who can really make a lot of noise in the playoffs. Right now, though ETSU tops the standings, I think Samford and Furman may be playing the best ball at this moment...the SoCon’s best hopes in the postseason. The Bucs have done a lot of squeaking by, though you have to give them a tremendous amount of credit for coming as far as they have with their program. Furman is kind of a question mark to get a bid for reasons discussed here ad nauseum. Wofford is now on the bubble even if they win their last two. It is difficult to rank the teams right now. But in a three-their system. I would put ETSU, Samford, Furman, and with some reservation Wofford in the top tier as teams with playoff hopes. Then Mercer, The Citadel, and Chattanooga in the second tier...these teams are average and likely have no realistic shot at the playoffs. Finally WCU and VMI go in the third tier as below average teams.

Wofford 48, WCU 21...The Terriers should be able to run at will on the defenseless CANTamounts.
Furman 52, VMI 14...total blowout
Chattanooga 21, Mercer 17...give the Mocs the edge at home in a good matchup
Samford 28, The Citadel 14...second week in a row facing the option for Samford

Yeah, I am getting sick of playing teams after they get a Wofford warm up.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Getting Rainey some more reps would be great. Need to curb those fumbles. No doubt he was a bit rusty holding on. Not sure what #10 intentions are. Rumor has it he is off to the AF. Not sure he can even do his eligible 5th year. We owe him at least the start at Alabama. I think getting Rainey some reps in the second half is in order though.

The other thing we have to do is clean up penalties. I think we had a "decade high" penalty game yesterday...9-112...geez!

The Cats
November 4th, 2018, 07:43 AM

That new QB was made to look VERY good by the worst defensive unit in the SoCon, possibly in the entire FCS. I wouldn't brag too much on his accomplishments until he does something against a team with a real defensive coaching staff.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I thought this week's games would help us clear up the conference standings.....and I was WRONG!!!! As cloudy as the SoCon is right now....so is the CAA, Southland, and several others....The committee is going to have to put in some work this year. In the past they pretty much knew who was going at this point and could fill in the holes with the recognizable "names"....Not this year, the usual suspects are sucking, and the conferences are a mess.....The canceled games have to be taken into account too....Lots of Heartburn for the committee coming from the SOCon!!!!

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I've been impressed with how Furman's defense has come along. They had the somewhat unenviable task of playing option and then pass heavy teams back to back for the last month or so (Wofford, Samford, Citadel, UTC). Probably not easy to shift gears between completely different offenses.

What seemed like a concern early on has turned into a pretty solid unit. Furman held Wofford (14), UTC (10), and the Citadel (17) to season lows in scoring. We looked stout against Samford early on, and then just wore out by the end of the game. The offense isn't nearly as explosive as last year's group, of course.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Adrian Hope has been a revelation. With 2.5 sacks yesterday, he now has hit the double-digit sack plateau after only 8 games. With sack-prone VMI and Mercer still to come, 15 or so sacks isn't out of the realm of possibility. It is early, but he is currently on pace to obliterate the SoCon career sack records.

As best I can tell, he is as close to "unblockable" as any player we've seen in a while from a pass rush perspective. He's in the Davis Tull/Marques Murrell territory on that front-guys you simply cannot leave in 1 v 1 matchups against an offensive linemen. He's incredibly strong and has just bull rushed guys that outweigh him by 100 pounds. Even when he doesn't get a sack, you can see him disrupting the play by redircting the pass or often drawing a holding call.

I'm left with a question I didn't think I'd be asking at the beginning of the season. The SoCon doesn't have too many "dominant" defensive players with the exceptions of Horton and Gooden. Is Adrian Hope, who as a reserve leads the SoCon in sacks (by a wide margin), is fourth in tackles for loss, and is tied for first in forced fumbles the Defensive Player of the Year?

Remember, he's put up these league-leading numbers as (1) a backup and (2) playing fewer games than everyone else.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Everyone saying the socon is bad or average should realize that from 2015-2018, 2/3 of the conference will make the playoffs and if ETSU and samford win a game, we will have just as many win in the playoffs than the CAA.

And we have less teams than them.

We don't have 1 dominant team, and that will bite us in the playoffs. But that will come in time.

Also, credit to Samford, they have had our number in ways no team has had since Furman in the early 2000s. I joked earlier this year that Hatcher is the biggest con man in the FCS. He still may be if he can't make the playoffs this year and win a game. He plays option teams really well, with exception of Kennesaw for some reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SU DOG
November 4th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Everyone saying the socon is bad or average should realize that from 2015-2018, 2/3 of the conference will make the playoffs and if ETSU and samford win a game, we will have just as many win in the playoffs than the CAA.

And we have less teams than them.

We don't have 1 dominant team, and that will bite us in the playoffs. But that will come in time.

Also, credit to Samford, they have had our number in ways no team has had since Furman in the early 2000s. I joked earlier this year that Hatcher is the biggest con man in the FCS. He still may be if he can't make the playoffs this year and win a game. He plays option teams really well, with exception of Kennesaw for some reason.

Sometimes a coordinator has to be given credit for a team's performance even more so than a HC. Bill D'Ottavio has been at Samford a lot longer than HCCH. Bill is a wily old veteran who really knows how to coach the 4-3. I believe the game yesterday was the least rushing yards this year for the Terriers.

The KSU TO is a tough animal to defend(Capt. Obvious statement). No disrespect to Wofford or The Citadel, but the Owls are SO much faster to the perimeter than either of our conference brethren. As for our game against them this year, what we did remains a huge mystery to us Samford fans. More rushing attempts than passing attempts????? Granted some of these were QB scrambles, but still I think our coaches were hampered with brain farts in not turning Hodges and our receivers loose.

Often the game after the Wofford game is tough to prepare for. The Terriers will just inflict punishment with how hard they play, especially their cut blocking on the LOS. I don't know the status on Gooden, his backup, and numerous other Samford players downed in the game yesterday. Of course our FS is done and hopefully not permanently, but that was one serious injury with a bone protruding from that right ankle. I have no idea who who our defensive personnel will be against The Citadel Saturday.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Sometimes a coordinator has to be given credit for a team's performance even more so than a HC. Bill D'Ottavio has been at Samford a lot longer than HCCH. Bill is a wily old veteran who really knows how to coach the 4-3. I believe the game yesterday was the least rushing yards this year for the Terriers.

The KSU TO is a tough animal to defend(Capt. Obvious statement). No disrespect to Wofford or The Citadel, but the Owls are SO much faster to the perimeter than either of our conference brethren. As for our game against them this year, what we did remains a huge mystery to us Samford fans. More rushing attempts than passing attempts????? Granted some of these were QB scrambles, but still I think our coaches were hampered with brain farts in not turning Hodges and our receivers loose.

Often the game after the Wofford game is tough to prepare for. The Terriers will just inflict punishment with how hard they play, especially their cut blocking on the LOS. I don't know the status on Gooden, his backup, and numerous other Samford players downed in the game yesterday. Of course our FS is done and hopefully not permanently, but that was one serious injury with a bone protruding from that right ankle. I have no idea who who our defensive personnel will be against The Citadel Saturday.

I think our youngsters were much faster yesterday than our previous starters. A little youth showed with the fumbles, but they appeared much faster. Plays did not take forever to develop like they had been. The QB was much faster with little hesitancy, when called for. I think our previous starter were just thinking too much and trying to be fancy instead of just blasting forward, that could add up to 2-3 yards each set of downs.

Samford has been allowing about 150 yards a game rushing including yesterday's game when they allowed 207 against Wofford. They allowed 220 against KSU.

Against Samford in '15 we ran for 424 and passed for 55. In 16 we ran for 463 and passed for 79. Last year we only ran for 194 and passed for 152, but that was due in part to being in a hole early and we needed to catch up quick. We won in 15 and 16, and lost in 17. Samford's ability to get ahead quick was key in their '17 victory and in yesterday's win over Wofford where they got up at least 21-7 at one point. So I expect some serious air raid offense to start again hoping to put us in a hole early. Our D better be ready. We have had some lapses in our secondary at times, but are not bad overall. We have averaged about 242 yards in defense against the pass this year. Against Towson, we were up against a very good QB who we held fairly well against the pass until he scrambled and then he ran roughshod on us. That is my biggest fear about Hodges, like he ran very well against us in 16, right around 100 yards.

It will be an interesting chess match on how we decide to defend against Hodges. One thing I have been pleased with is our adjustments have been pretty good on D. We just start out giving up too many first half points.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 04:30 PM
1) ETSU - And the Cinderella season continues...winning is winning
2) Samford - Nice timely win; I really think that FSU game destroyed their spirit for a few weeks; they are a good team
3) Wofford - Very dangerous team still
4) Furman - woke up a little late
5) Chattanooga - overall solid
6) The Citadel - has lots of fight in them; could be 7-1 right now fairly easily, but losing is losing
7) Mercer - could be 7-2 right now fairly easily, but losing is losing
8) Western Carolina - young
9) VMI - Hoped they would have won by more, but at least they have the monkey off their back

Predictions
Furman at VMI - Furman knows they need to win and will be prepared - 38-18
Mercer at Chattanooga - Mocs get the home field advantage - 23-17
Wofford at Western Carolina - Wofford follows the Dogs for once...but it doesn't matter, they are on a mission - 41-17
Samford at The Citadel - The Chucktown Bulldogs have lots of Bucs, Rat Dogs, and Paladins cheering for them, but to no avail, Samford is in the groove apparently - 31-28

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Saturday's game would worry the stew out of me if I were a Samford fan. I think the Citadel is a strong defensive team, and has a very different style of play than Samford. Charleston can, at times, be a very difficult road venue.

It is notable that Samford just played Wofford, another option team, but I don't think that's dispositive of success. The Citadel runs a different type of option attack than Wofford does. The Citadel also has game film on how Samford defended both Furman's option game as well as Wofford's.

Defending the option is a fickle thing. There's a good chance that Samford isn't going to be able to defense the Citadel the same way they defended Wofford. The Citadel coaches will have already planned for those adjustments.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I'd also be pretty feeling pretty iffy if I were a Wofford fan. WCU isn't particularly good, but I wouldn't bet against Tyrie Adams playing at home. Cats gave Wofford all they wanted last year in Spartanburg.

The Terriers have struggled to defend athletic players on the edge. There are three teams that really have the personnel to expose you there in the passing game. Wofford has lost by double digits to two of them. The third is WCU.

PaladinNation
November 4th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Saturday's game would worry the stew out of me if I were a Samford fan. I think the Citadel is a strong defensive team, and has a very different style of play than Samford. Charleston can, at times, be a very difficult road venue.

It is notable that Samford just played Wofford, another option team, but I don't think that's dispositive of success. The Citadel runs a different type of option attack than Wofford does. The Citadel also has game film on how Samford defended both Furman's option game as well as Wofford's.

Defending the option is a fickle thing. There's a good chance that Samford isn't going to be able to defense the Citadel the same way they defended Wofford. The Citadel coaches will have already planned for those adjustments.

I hate the Citadel… so it pains me to say this — the DOGS don't go down easy. I also think they are due for a big upset win.

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2018, 07:17 PM
With sack-prone VMI and Mercer still to come...Not sure if you intended your modifying description to refer to both Teams in this sentence or not. If so, you are correct about VMI; about Mercer, not so much. Either way, interesting (to me) to see these stats.

All games...

Team
Sacks Allowed
Stat Pass Att.
Actual Att.
Sack %
1 Sack /Att.
# Gm’s
Sack/Gm

Samford
2.01%

Chatt
4.04%

CIT
4.08%

Wofford
6.29%

Mercer
6.32%

WCU
6.41%

ETSU
7.83%

VMI
7.93%

Furman
13.24%

Conference only...

Team
Sacks Allowed
Stat Pass Att.
Actual Att.
Sack %
1 Sack /Att.
# Gm’s
Sack/Gm

Samford
2.27%

Wofford
3.60%

Chatt
4.17%

CIT
4.88%

Mercer
6.03%

WCU
7.06%

VMI
7.52%

ETSU
8.75%

Furman
11.21%

...and this is why going ‘all out’ to Sack Samford’s Hodges is a fool’s game. ‘Contain, cover, beat blocks, tackle, and stay patient’ is the truth, the light, and the (only) way to defend him/Samford. DC’s usually aren’t known for their high levels of patience.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 07:21 PM
"Sack prone" modified VMI.

Essentially point is that Adrian Hope, who no team has really been able to block, is about to play the team that gives up almost twice as many sacks as anyone else.

Mercer is better at limiting sacks, but they throw it enough that Hope will be a pretty significant threat there as well.

woffordgrad94
November 4th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I'd also be pretty feeling pretty iffy if I were a Wofford fan. WCU isn't particularly good, but I wouldn't bet against Tyrie Adams playing at home. Cats gave Wofford all they wanted last year in Spartanburg.

The Terriers have struggled to defend athletic players on the edge. There are three teams that really have the personnel to expose you there in the passing game. Wofford has lost by double digits to two of them. The third is WCU.
WCU’s offense does concern me. But WCU’s tissue paper defense should allow the Terriers to run at will so I think we can outscore them if we have to.

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Not sure if you intended your modifying description to refer to both Teams in this sentence or not. If so, you are correct about VMI; about Mercer, not so much. Either way, interesting (to me) to see these stats.

All games...(may add Conf. Games only to this post later; may not)

Team
Sacks Allowed
Stat Pass Att.
Actual Att.
Sack %
1 Sack /Att.
# Gm’s
Sack/Gm

Samford
2.01%

Chatt
4.04%

CIT
4.08%

Wofford
6.29%

Mercer
6.32%

WCU
6.41%

ETSU
7.83%

VMI
7.93%

Furman
13.24%

...and this is why going ‘all out’ to Sack Samford’s Hodges is a fool’s game. ‘Contain, cover, beat blocks, tackle, and stay patient’ is the truth, the light, and the (only) way to defend him/Samford. DC’s usually aren’t known for their high levels of patience.

100% agree that Hodges and that wide OL are great at avoiding sacks for a team you know is going to throw.

Samford probably Owes much of its success to this stat. I watched Furman play UTC who runs more than Samford and it was far easier to get pressure and sack Tiano of UTC and get in the backfield of ETSU (ETSU OL allows pressure on QB. Tiano at UTC isn't mobile. ). But the wide bodies of Samford OL and Hodges mobility are deadly.

Samford is unique - as you show - in that for a team that throws so much you can hardly sack them. Part of it is they throw a lot of quick hitters. But part of it is Hodges mobility and that he has seen everything in several years of being a QB

Another oddity is that Furman gives up so many sacks despite being a running team and yet could go 6-2 in SoCon. I guess this is partly due to playing Clemson and Elon. I would think SoCon only stats would look a little different

Of course sounds like Samfird got beat up bad yesterday w injuries. I'll be mad if Furman wins out and Samford loses to ETSU because of injuries - because if FU wins out and Samfird beats ETSU Furman gets a SoCon Championship !!! Co-champs I know.

Maybe no playoffs but still SoCon champs and that goes up on the field house !

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 08:09 PM

Wofford beats western

Havent done the research. Why do Furman fans need Wofford to beat Western to get the auto ?

woffordgrad94
November 4th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Havent done the research. Why do Furman fans need Wofford to beat Western to get the auto ?
That seems puzzling to me too.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 08:29 PM

Because Furman can only win the Autobid if there is a 3 way tie of Furman, Wofford, ETSU all at 6-2 in the SoCon, that's the only way

SU DOG
November 4th, 2018, 08:48 PM
I AM very uneasy about playing in Charleston, but I think this Samford Team is focused and on a mission. The chance to win the conference auto bid is in our own hands now, and that is all I could ask for.

While we had numerous injuries Saturday, I think most of the kids will be ready(except for the FS who had surgery after the game). Playing Wofford and The Citadel back to back is definitely a chance to have bruised bodies. Everybody has injuries at this time of year, however, so that cannot be an excuse, IMO.

I agree with the stated problems about sacking Hodges, but I would add one more. His receivers are so talented and will come back towards him many times if the routes are foiled. He can then release on the scramble and have confidence of success. This happens lots. I'm not sure that there is an equal group of receivers in all of FCS.

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Because Furman can only win the Autobid if there is a 3 way tie of Furman, Wofford, ETSU all at 6-2 in the SoCon, that's the only way

Ahh. That makes sense. Low probability that we get Samford to lose at Cit and beat ETSU but if it happens that takes Samfird out.

Then we need Wofford in picture. Because if it's just Furman and ETSU, ETSU has the head to head. But if it's all 3-Wofford and ETSU and Furman ... ETSU beat Furman. Furman beat Woffrd. Wofford beat ETSU. round robin no clear winner

then it goes to points in which we think Furman wins

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Ahh. That makes sense. Low probability that we get Samford to lose at Cit and beat ETSU but if it happens that takes Samfird out.

Then we need Wofford in picture. Because if it's just Furman and ETSU, ETSU has the head to head. But if it's all 3-Wofford and ETSU and Furman ... ETSU beat Furman. Furman beat Woffrd. Wofford beat ETSU. round robin no clear winner

then it goes to points in which we think Furman wins

Indeed xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2018, 09:18 PM
I don't know enough about defenses to say for certain, but it looked like Wofford changed our strategy against Samford in the third possession on defense.

Wofford came in playing man and trying to put pressure on Hodges, probably a response to Samford doing more quick stuff in recent weeks. We then got scorched, switched to zone and didn't get much pressure for the rest of the game.

It really is pick your posion with Hodges and it's always curious to me why Samford can never bring the consistency they do against Wofford to anyone else they play. No one since the big 3 in the early 2000s has had our number like Samford.

It's not sour grapes to say that Samford's inconsistency as a program holds the socon back. They're the only socon team that has made the playoffs and not won a game. If they beat Kennesaw (this year and last), they play to the level they're capable of against Mercer/Chatt, the story isn't how the socon sucks this year. The story is how great it is with 3 teams vying for a seed between Wofford/Samford/ETSU.

But we can't have those nice things

SU DOG
November 4th, 2018, 10:14 PM
In our 3 Playoff appearances it could be noted that JSU, after destroying our team that was honestly crippled up, went on to beat McNeese, and then lost to Eastern Washington out there after their QB went down. YSU - Beat us, beat your Terriers, and went on to play for the NC. KSU - beat us at their place, beat JSU, and then went on to lose a 7 point game at SHSU.
Maybe there isn't any sour grapes there YT, but you should recognize that Samford hasn't exactly had the easier draws like some teams have had, and we have yet to play one of these games at home.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 10:18 PM
In our 3 Playoff appearances it could be noted that JSU, after destroying our team that was honestly crippled up, went on to beat McNeese, and then lost to Eastern Washington out there after their QB went down. YSU - Beat us, beat your Terriers, and went on to play for the NC. KSU - beat us at their place, beat JSU, and then went on to lose a 7 point game at SHSU.
Maybe there isn't any sour grapes there YT, but you should recognize that Samford hasn't exactly had the easier draws like some teams have had, and we have yet to play one of these games at home.

I'll buy that. It would be nice to get a Pioneer or Patriot team instead of chewing ourselves up with rematches, including conf opponents.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2018, 04:11 AM
I don't know enough about defenses to say for certain, but it looked like Wofford changed our strategy against Samford in the third possession on defense.

Wofford came in playing man and trying to put pressure on Hodges, probably a response to Samford doing more quick stuff in recent weeks. We then got scorched, switched to zone and didn't get much pressure for the rest of the game.

It really is pick your posion with Hodges and it's always curious to me why Samford can never bring the consistency they do against Wofford to anyone else they play. No one since the big 3 in the early 2000s has had our number like Samford.

It's not sour grapes to say that Samford's inconsistency as a program holds the socon back. They're the only socon team that has made the playoffs and not won a game. If they beat Kennesaw (this year and last), they play to the level they're capable of against Mercer/Chatt, the story isn't how the socon sucks this year. The story is how great it is with 3 teams vying for a seed between Wofford/Samford/ETSU.

But we can't have those nice things

I noted this last week, but Conklin seems to want his defense to play a lot of man coverage. That’s fine, but I’m not sure Wofford has the safeties/OLBs to excel in coverage against speedier backs and slot receivers.

Zone is the better way to beat Samford. Pressuring Hodges is sort of a useless endeavor if you intend on bringing extra men as you do him a favor by taking one fewer guy out of coverage. Ideally, you want to drop 7 or 8 and hope your DE/OLB can collapse on him while keeping him in the pocket.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2018, 04:16 AM

The odds of Furman getting the autobid are slim.

In terms of playoff possibilities, having Wofford saddled with an extra loss and allowing Furman to be standing in sole possession of 2nd place in the SoCon wouldn’t be the worst thing either.

sudog03
November 5th, 2018, 08:11 AM
I joked earlier this year that Hatcher is the biggest con man in the FCS.

That con man is now 10-2 against our SoCon peer schools (Furman, Wofford, and Mercer) since taking the SU job. Hey, at least he doesn't do hambone in the locker room after a win.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 08:20 AM
That con man is now 10-2 against our SoCon peer schools (Furman, Wofford, and Mercer) since taking the SU job. Hey, at least he doesn't do hambone in the locker room after a win.He's a con man if all he can do is beat option teams and get embarrassed in the playoffs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want him to be successful, but the inconsistency makes the socon look bad

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Maybe there isn't any sour grapes there YT, but you should recognize that Samford hasn't exactly had the easier draws like some teams have had, and we have yet to play one of these games at home.Your game against Youngstown was over by the end of the third quarter. Ours was in double OT.

It's not sour grapes. Samford hasn't won a playoff game since 1991 and has lost all their appearances while in the socon by double digits. Wofford has lost only 2 matchups by double digits in 15 years of play (both to eventual champs). Even if we lay an egg this year, that would be 3 of 17 appearances. We beat the socon conference champ by 2 TDs, a team that took NDSU to OT and shut down Furman last year.

It's not sour grapes, Samford is consistently the most underperforming team in the socon. No excuse losing to Mercer this year, Chattanooga last year, or ETSU two years ago. It makes the conference look bad.

You can excuse it away all you want, but Samford consistently 1) underperforms in the playoffs and 2) loses to teams they shouldn't

sudog03
November 5th, 2018, 08:41 AM
And Wofford consistently loses to Samford, lol.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 09:09 AM
And Wofford consistently loses to Samford, lol.Yep and that's all you can say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't know why you're so triggered. Just because a Wofford fan points it out doesn't mean it's not true. Really the only team in the conference with anything resembling consistency is Wofford. And we aren't elite. I hate it, because the only way anyone is going to get there is if everyone steps up their game. Samford is the most disappointing because they seem the closest but they let everyone down the most when there is no good reason. I guarantee you, everyone in the socon (including Samford) would be ranked 5 spots higher if Samford didn't lose a game in the last 3 years to a team at the bottom half of the standings.

I'm critical but I'm critical because I expect better. You think I like my team losing to a perrennial 7-4 team and having to explain that every year in bracketology threads?

Also weird stat: 5 of Samford's 8 byes since 2011 have come the week before Wofford.

SU DOG
November 5th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Your game against Youngstown was over by the end of the third quarter. Ours was in double OT.

It's not sour grapes. Samford hasn't won a playoff game since 1991 and has lost all their appearances while in the socon by double digits. Wofford has lost only 2 matchups by double digits. We beat the socon conference champ by 2 TDs, a team that took NDSU to OT and shut down Furman last year.

It's not sour grapes, Samford is consistently the most underperforming team in the socon. No excuse losing to Mercer this year, Chattanooga last year, or ETSU two years ago. It makes the conference look bad.

You can excuse it away all you want, but Samford consistently 1) underperforms in the playoffs and 2) loses to teams they shouldn't

Without a doubt, Wofford has been the best SoCon representative since the departure of Appy and GaS. Samford, however, has NOT been an embarrassment to the conference.
I tried to show some rational facts related to our appearances, but you trashed them as excuses. Dude, I was willing to take you at your word about your many mentions of no sour grapes. I think by now, however, that you have become very transparent. Maybe you would like to exile us back to the OVC in exchange for a team that Wofford could actually beat. In the next 2 weeks, you can hope for a Citadel or ETSU win that will save the SoCon from another embarrassment. In the meantime, you know there are prescription meds that might help a severe case of butt-hurt. Then you could also take those sour grapes, let them ferment enough, and have a tonic for your condition.
Here's hoping for you a speedy recovery.

walliver
November 5th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Power ratings:
1) Samford - Peaking at the right time
2) ETSU - Somehow they keep finding ways to win. They are here for winning, but my gut tells me they are probably the 4th best team in the conference.
3) Furman - keeping hope alive
4) Wofford - disappointing showing this week, but no unexpected.
5) Chattanooga - probably a year or two away from the playoffs
6) The Citadel - they keep on fighting
7) Mercer - a disappointing year
8) Western Carolina - high powered offense, but you still have to score more than your opponent to win
9) VMI - Finally a win, but not an impressive win

Mercer at Chattanooga - Mercer has struggled this year, Chatty has a good fundamental team and wins at home 27-21
Furman at VMI - This one gets ugly fast and horsies roll over kangaroos 63-20
Samford at The Citadel - The toy soldiers keep it close and I will pull for them to win, but Samford is too strong and wins 31-27
Wofford at Western Carolina - The Cants do that new-fangled forward pass thing we don't defend, but Terriers only need to stop them 2 or 3 times to win 42-31
BYE at ETSU - This one goes down to the wire but ETSU pulls out a one point win.

Playoffs:
Samford needs to win out. A loss in either remaining game and they finish 6-5 with 5 D-I wins.
ETSU is in good shape. Win and they get the auto bid. Lose to Samford and they could end up in a 6-2 pack with a marquee win against FU.
Wofford - needs to win out. At 8-3, signature win would be against ETSU, but would still have 8 D-I wins
Furman - needs to win out and hope for a little luck from somewhere else. The committee will likely take give them a little leeway due to hurricane cancellation, but with losses to Samford and ETSU, only marquee win would be against Wofford.
Chattanooga - a win next week gets them to 7 D-I wins and most impressive SoCOn OOC schedule (which ain't saying much), but 5-3 conference record keeps them out unless they beat the Gamecookies in Columbia.

Most likely Sammy, ETSU and Wofford. A Sammy loss and FU might take their place.

sudog03
November 5th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Yep and that's all you can say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't know why you're so triggered. Just because a Wofford fan points it out doesn't mean it's not true. Really the only team in the conference with anything resembling consistency is Wofford. And we aren't elite. I hate it, because the only way anyone is going to get there is if everyone steps up their game. Samford is the most disappointing because they seem the closest but they let everyone down the most when there is no good reason. I guarantee you, everyone in the socon (including Samford) would be ranked 5 spots higher if Samford didn't lose a game in the last 3 years to a team at the bottom half of the standings.

I'm critical but I'm critical because I expect better. You think I like my team losing to a perrennial 7-4 team and having to explain that every year in bracketology threads?

Also weird stat: 5 of Samford's 8 byes since 2011 have come the week before Wofford.

In the last four regular seasons, Samford is also 3-1 against UCA and KSU. Teams that made the playoffs in each of those seasons we played them. We'd probably have a little better luck with consistency in league play if our non conference consisted of D-1, and two weaklings from the big south/pioneer league. Not sure our 7-4 record has needed much defending, but thanks anyways.

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 09:58 AM
He's a con man if all he can do is beat option teams and get embarrassed in the playoffs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want him to be successful, but the inconsistency makes the socon look bad

?????
2015 - The Citadel 44 Samford 25
2016 - The Citadel 37 Samford 34
2017 - Samford 35 The Citadel 14
2018 - ??????

Umm, not a universally true statement. And you better hope it isn't true next week:D.

SU DOG
November 5th, 2018, 10:18 AM
?????
2015 - The Citadel 44 Samford 25
2016 - The Citadel 37 Samford 34
2017 - Samford 35 The Citadel 14
2018 - ??????

Umm, not a universally true statement. And you better hope it isn't true next week:D.

Look again at who posted that ElCid. I'm sure he will be pulling hard for The Citadel so that the SoCon can avoid severe embarrassment. LOL!

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 10:25 AM
The odds of Furman getting the autobid are slim.

In terms of playoff possibilities, having Wofford saddled with an extra loss and allowing Furman to be standing in sole possession of 2nd place in the SoCon wouldn’t be the worst thing either.

Right, when speaking about at large bids for SoCon, certainly UTC is out with a loss to Mercer or at South Carolina, plus a Samford loss to Citadel or ETSU knocks them out and a loss by Wofford at WCU or PC would knock them out, which would obviously help Furman's chances to be the 2nd/3rd SoCon team in the playoffs with an at large bid.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I think ETSU is in already

I think if Wofford wins out they are in but if they lose 1 game then Furman gets in if Furman wins out

I think if Samford wins out they are in but if they lose 1 game then Furman gets in if Furman wins out

No way UTC beats South Carolina

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Without a doubt, Wofford has been the best SoCon representative since the departure of Appy and GaS. Samford, however, has NOT been an embarrassment to the conference.
I tried to show some rational facts related to our appearances, but you trashed them as excuses. Dude, I was willing to take you at your word about your many mentions of no sour grapes. I think by now, however, that you have become very transparent. Maybe you would like to exile us back to the OVC in exchange for a team that Wofford could actually beat. In the next 2 weeks, you can hope for a Citadel or ETSU win that will save the SoCon from another embarrassment. In the meantime, you know there are prescription meds that might help a severe case of butt-hurt. Then you could also take those sour grapes, let them ferment enough, and have a tonic for your condition.
Here's hoping for you a speedy recovery.I'm not the one resort to ad hominem, so I think it's safe to say I'm not the one butt hurt here.

I didn't even say Samford is embarrassing the conference. But they measurably hurt the conference by being inconsistent.

I'd go so far to say that on their best day, they are the best team in the conference, but on their worst day they are inexcusable bad (how bad is that? I'm not sure, but i am sure it is inexcusable).

PS: "rational facts" is redundant

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Look again at who posted that ElCid. I'm sure he will be pulling hard for The Citadel so that the SoCon can avoid severe embarrassment. LOL!Nope, I'm hoping Samford wins out and wins at least one, maybe two playoff games. Hodges is a great QB and a classy guy who deserves as much.

I want the entire Socon to do better in the playoffs. It helps the entire conference.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Right, when speaking about at large bids for SoCon, certainly UTC is out with a loss to Mercer or at South Carolina, plus a Samford loss to Citadel or ETSU knocks them out and a loss by Wofford at WCU or PC would knock them out, which would obviously help Furman's chances to be the 2nd/3rd SoCon team in the playoffs with an at large bid.Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of the FCS Playoff Selection Committee...but I’m not sure they are looking to provide X number of bids to the SoCon & will go with X number of Teams by where they place in the SoCon standings.

I SURELY don’t KNOW, but I think it’s more about record and the quality of the wins & losses on that record, based on the relative quality of the Teams that provided those wins & losses.

So, excluding any consideration of the Autobid AND assuming FU wins out, I think the best way for Furman to end up with an At-Large bid is:
1) the ‘good win’ over Woffy to keep being as good a win as possible by Woffy winning out
2) the ‘not so good’ losses to ETSU, Samford, and Elon to be viewed as less bad by those 3 Teams continuing to win, except as noted below
3) Hard to say whether which Team wins/loses Sammy @ ETSU affects FU’s position. I’m thinking it’s probably better if Sammy wins, since FU lost to them later in the season and ETSU’s record is good enough to ‘cover’ / absorb a loss to Sammy & make FU’s loss to them not look too bad, whereas Sammy sinks pretty hard with a loss to ETSU.
4) I don’t think the outcomes of any other games really matter unless Chatt, WCU, VMI, or CIT beat their FBS opponents

Am I wrong?

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of the FCS Playoff Selection Committee...but I’m not sure they are looking to provide X number of bids to the SoCon & will go with X number of Teams by where they place in the SoCon standings. I SURELY don’t KNOW, but I think it’s more about record and the quality of the wins & losses on that record, based on the relative quality of the Teams that provided those wins & losses. So, excluding any consideration of the Autobid AND assuming FU wins out, I think the best way for Furman to end up with an At-Large bid is:
1) the ‘good win’ over Woffy to keep being as good a win as possible by Woffy winning out
2) the ‘not so good losses to ETSU, Samford, and Elon to be viewed as less bad by those 3 Teams continuing to win, except as noted below
3) Hard to say whether which Team wins/loses Sammy @ ETSU affects FU’s position. I’m thinking it’s probably better if Sammy wins, since FU lost to the later in the season and ETSU’s record is good enough to ‘cover’ / absorb a loss to Sammy & make FU’s loss to them not look too bad, where Sammy sinks pretty hard with a loss to ETSU.
4) I don’t think the outcomes of any other games really matter unless Chatt, WCU, VMI, or CIT beat their FBS opponents

Am I wrong?

Very good points, however I think the main thing to kind of numb this a bit is that probably no way the SoCon gets 4 teams in the playoffs, so assuming Furman is 4th in the pecking order we probably need someone to lose.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
At this point, if Furman gets in, it's because of the committee's caprice. I just don't see it happening.

If they do it get in they will almost certainly be slated to play Wofford in the first round.

wcugrad95
November 5th, 2018, 11:20 AM
It feels like the most probable scenario is the SoCon ends up with a 4-way tie with a logjam of 6-2 teams. In that scenario, somebody is going to get left at home. But I also think it is probably the only scenario where 3 teams get serious consideration. I ***think*** Samford would be the auto-bid (would have beaten all 3 of the other teams in head-to-head). Wofford gets in with 8 wins and their recent playoff showings. And ETSU would maybe get the 3rd spot with their 8 wins. Furman's and Samford's only chances are the auto-bid, and Samford's path is just easier for me to digest (win and you are in).

Edit: even that will still be close. ETSU with a loss to Samford would most likely drop out of the top-25. With only 14 bids to go out, hard to imagine teams outside the top-25 are going to get serious consideration.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 11:27 AM
The socon is pretty tough. Every team has a solid strength and noticeable weakness

Chattanooga:
Strength: they have just as much talent as anyone and they are really good on defense
Weakness: their offense is bad. They can't run the ball and are very one dimensional

The Citadel:
Strength: they'll be competitive in every game
Weakness: for whatever reason, they get the bad bounces and end up falling short.

ETSU:
Strength: strong defense, finally have comparable talent to the rest of the conference
Weakness: offense isn't there yet.

Furman:
Strength: right now, I think they are the best coached team in the conference on both sides of the ball
Weakness: youth and lack of depth makes for somewhat inconsistent play

Mercer:
Strength: very talented at skill positions, especially wide receiver
Weakness: for whatever reason, they still have the inconsistency from year to year of a start up program.

Samford:
Strength: best offense in the conference
Weakness: they don't always show up

VMI:
Strength: passes well
Weakness: they are VMI

Western:
Strength: Tyrie Adams
Weakness: defense

Wofford:
Strength: we run the ball well and play better defense than most teams
Weakness: lack of identity and or in a transition period. Our style of play is higher risk and higher reward than years past, especially on defense. Our offense feasts on weak defenses but fails to execute in big games. I can't tell if that's because we are transitioning to different playbooks, if we're in general younger than previous years, or if the socon is just better than usual. I think it's a little bit of all three.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 11:29 AM
At this point, if Furman gets in, it's because of the committee's caprice. I just don't see it happening.

If they do it get in they will almost certainly be slated to play Wofford in the first round.

If Furman gets autobid they are in obviously

Conversely, I feel if Wofford or Samford lose a game and Furman wins out I think we have a very good shot at an at large bid

Yes I see that you do not agree, but that's why they are called differing 'opinions'

wcugrad95
November 5th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Without the auto-bid, why would a 6-win, non-ranked Furman team have a very good shot? I am not asking to defend Furman as a pretty good football team, because I think they are. But I am asking why they should be considered one of the top 20 or so teams in the country to be included in the 14 bids that go with the 10 conference champs? And don't point to the Colgate game that wasn't played (and reference previous games against Colgate). If anything, the committee would look at a 6-win Furman team and probably a seeded Colgate squad and if they were to project anything, they probably would assume an FU loss this season (especially at that stage of the Paladins' schedule).

Either Wofford or Samford losing a game actually hurts Furman's resume other than positioning them better for the auto-bid. As I said in my post, I think FU and Samford HAVE to get the auto-bid to get in.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Without the auto-bid, why would a 6-win, non-ranked Furman team have a very good shot? I am not asking to defend Furman as a pretty good football team, because I think they are. But I am asking why they should be considered one of the top 20 or so teams in the country to be included in the 14 bids that go with the 10 conference champs? And don't point to the Colgate game that wasn't played (and reference previous games against Colgate). If anything, the committee would look at a 6-win Furman team and probably a seeded Colgate squad and if they were to project anything, they probably would assume an FU loss this season (especially at that stage of the Paladins' schedule).

Either Wofford or Samford losing a game actually hurts Furman's resume other than positioning them better for the auto-bid. As I said in my post, I think FU and Samford HAVE to get the auto-bid to get in.

The committee is going to take more from the SoCon than just the autobid, there will be 1 or 2 at large bids to the SoCon if any of Samford/Furman/Wofford win out, that's why Furman has a very good chance, unless your telling me you think the committee only takes 1 total team from the SoCon no matter what, however I don't agree with that at all.

PaladinNation
November 5th, 2018, 12:22 PM
ugh! If Furman can win out and finish at 6-4 and have a shot at a co-champion banner I'm happy.

I hope whoever gets into the playoffs WINS period.
I think Samford could be dangerous, at least I hope so.
I hope Wofford gets a CAA team like Elon or Delaware - I would give the edge to the little dogs.
I have no idea what to think of ETSU…

I wear purple-colored glasses but I'm not expecting some crazy scenario that gives Furman a realistic opening for a playoff spot.
I just can't come up with a justifiable reason for Furman to get a spot over Wofford/ETSU/Samford.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:29 PM
ugh! If Furman can win out and finish at 6-4 and have a shot at a co-champion banner I'm happy.

I hope whoever gets into the playoffs WINS period.
I think Samford could be dangerous, at least I hope so.
I hope Wofford gets a CAA team like Elon or Delaware - I would give the edge to the little dogs.
I have no idea what to think of ETSU…

I wear purple-colored glasses but I'm not expecting some crazy scenario that gives Furman a realistic opening for a playoff spot.
I just can't come up with a justifiable reason for Furman to get a spot over Wofford/ETSU/Samford.

And they won't if everybody wins out, only way to get in is to get autobid or have Wofford or Samford lose a game, then either would be out and Furman can have good shot to take that at large spot

SU DOG
November 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Nope, I'm hoping Samford wins out and wins at least one, maybe two playoff games. Hodges is a great QB and a classy guy who deserves as much.

I want the entire Socon to do better in the playoffs. It helps the entire conference.

Thanks, I am with you on this YT. If we can't win out, we don't deserve, and of course won't get anything else. Just win 2 games is NOT as easy as it might sound playing both on the road and not knowing how such factors as weather, injuries, etc. might affect the outcomes. Not even to mention that both of these opponents are dangerous teams. If we don't get there, I certainly hope the SoCon will be represented well. I really believe this conference has more parity and less weakness than most of the rest of the FCS thinks. Interesting times ahead.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 12:43 PM
It feels like the most probable scenario is the SoCon ends up with a 4-way tie with a logjam of 6-2 teams. In that scenario, somebody is going to get left at home. But I also think it is probably the only scenario where 3 teams get serious consideration. I ***think*** Samford would be the auto-bid (would have beaten all 3 of the other teams in head-to-head). Wofford gets in with 8 wins and their recent playoff showings. And ETSU would maybe get the 3rd spot with their 8 wins. Furman's and Samford's only chances are the auto-bid, and Samford's path is just easier for me to digest (win and you are in).

Edit: even that will still be close. ETSU with a loss to Samford would most likely drop out of the top-25. With only 14 bids to go out, hard to imagine teams outside the top-25 are going to get serious consideration.

I think is the most likely scenario as well, but we have certainly seen craziness happen in the SoCon this year.

BUT - I don’t think Furman is OUT of contention for an At-Large bid in this scenario. Based on the MESS almost all FCS Conferences are in this year, I don’t think the NSA’s supercomputers could run a reliable simulation on which Teams are going to get the Autobids & which ones will be At-Large ‘candidates.’ Corollary with this, I just don’t see the Committee placing a lot of weight on rankings this year. They are astute enough to know that all rankings (including the AGS version...including my own submissions) are weighted by prior year reputations, conference reputations, and where Teams started the season. So, I think they just might take the top half of the ‘power conferences’ (MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, Southern, and Southland), remove the AutoBid and the ‘force rank’ the remaining Teams 1-25 (or so), using Record & Quality of Wins/Losses, then pick the Top 14. Maybe, they add SEMO OR JaxSt into that mix. (Sorry Monmouth...not this year!) Which 14 would come out of that, I have no idea, but I don’t think they will he saying, “Well, we want 5 from the MVFC & 4 from the Big Sky, so we only have room for 2 SoCon Teams.”

I think the ‘pass’ that the Committee is going to give FU for that canceled Colgate game is they will view the Paladins, not as a “6-win” Team, but, instead, as a 3-FCS loss Team; essentially, ‘giving’ FU credit for a ‘nameless’ 7th win without crediting them with a ‘win’ over currently undefeated & highly-ranked Colgate, because the Paladins destroyed the Raiders last year. They will think of it more like a win over Monmouth or Murray State (2 Teams currently in the middle of the Massey FCS ratings).

So, really, (assuming this 4-way tie for the SoCon Championship) the question for the Committee becomes, how do SoCon Co-Champ Furman’s 3 losses to Playoff Teams, including, maybe all 3 being Conf Champs (assuming Elon wins the CAA) & 1 of those being seeded (Elon), along with their win over another Conf Champ (Woff), compare to other 3 FCS loss Teams?

IMO, Furman needs the Teams with the ‘BEST wins’ AND those without the ‘WORST losses’ to win the CAA, Big Sky, and Southland. Pretty sure NDSU has the MVFC wrapped up. So...these things would be good...

SDakSt lose to SDak AND S. Ill.
NoIowa lose to YSU AND MizzouSt
W. Ill. lose to SDak
IllSt lose to YSU
Del lose to Nova
Maine lose to Rich AND Elon
Elon also beat Towson
JMU lose to Rhode Island, but beat Towson (I think)
Stony Brook lose to Albany & Del (maybe)
Rhode Island lose to UNH
EWU lose to UCDavis AND PortlandSt
WeberSt lose to SUtah, but beat Idaho State (I think)
Idaho State also lose to CalPoly
MontanaSt lose to NColo, but beat Montana (I think)
Montana also lose to Idaho (I think)
McNeeseSt lose to NWSt AND Lamar
NichollsSt lose to SELA AND SFAustin
SHSU lose to HoustonBaptist
Lamar lose to HoustonBaptist
Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian, Central Ark to win or lose their round robin of games in a beneficial way...whatever that is.

Yep...that should just about do it...maybe.

wcugrad95
November 5th, 2018, 12:52 PM
The committee is going to take more from the SoCon than just the autobid, there will be 1 or 2 at large bids to the SoCon if any of Samford/Furman/Wofford win out, that's why Furman has a very good chance, unless your telling me you think the committee only takes 1 total team from the SoCon no matter what, however I don't agree with that at all.

My question (and what keeps getting asked in the other threads on the topic) is to outline why Furman deserves to be in? Not the what might happen in the remaining games, but what has happened to date. They have the one quality win over Wofford, they have what will end up being a so-so win over Chattanooga. They have a beat-down by Elon (I know - Roberts wasn't playing), and they have a canceled game against Colgate that has led to pages of posts. So the question is what in those 6 wins makes you feel so strongly that Furman is a top-20 type of team? Is it because they are doing well in the SoCon? I have also posted multiple times that while the games are very close in the league, I think overall we are down and that close games means the teams aren't really that much different from one another. Heck, WCU all-out sucks and we are literally about 6-8 total plays away from being like a 5-4 team.

You are basing your entire argument on a single good win and the fact that you are playing better, but what 8 and 9 win teams are you going to leave out to make room for Furman? How does Furman's resume stack up to put you in front of those teams?

I outlined my thoughts in my previous post. I think we end up with four teams at 6-2. Samford gets in with auto-bid, Wofford gets in with 8 wins and their recent playoff performances, and if a 3rd team gets in it would be an 8-win ETSU who beat Furman head-to-head over a 6-win Furman team. I don't see any way a 6-win team gets in from the SoCon unless that team somehow gets the auto-bid. If ETSU is the all-out champion (beats Samford), then I really do think it will be them and Wofford as the only teams. If that happens and Wofford pukes all over themselves and loses either one of their remaining games, I could see it as ETSU as the only team that gets in. So most likely - Samford, ETSU, and Wofford. Good chance - ETSU and Wofford. Unrealistic but possible - ETSU alone. Furman only gets in if somehow the math works out and they get the auto-bid in some kind of tie that doesn't involve Samford. In that scenario, the league probably only gets 2.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 01:04 PM
My question (and what keeps getting asked in the other threads on the topic) is to outline why Furman deserves to be in? Not the what might happen in the remaining games, but what has happened to date. They have the one quality win over Wofford, they have what will end up being a so-so win over Chattanooga. They have a beat-down by Elon (I know - Roberts wasn't playing), and they have a canceled game against Colgate that has led to pages of posts. So the question is what in those 6 wins makes you feel so strongly that Furman is a top-20 type of team? Is it because they are doing well in the SoCon? I have also posted multiple times that while the games are very close in the league, I think overall we are down and that close games means the teams aren't really that much different from one another. Heck, WCU all-out sucks and we are literally about 6-8 total plays away from being like a 5-4 team.

You are basing your entire argument on a single good win and the fact that you are playing better, but what 8 and 9 win teams are you going to leave out to make room for Furman? How does Furman's resume stack up to put you in front of those teams?

I outlined my thoughts in my previous post. I think we end up with four teams at 6-2. Samford gets in with auto-bid, Wofford gets in with 8 wins and their recent playoff performances, and if a 3rd team gets in it would be an 8-win ETSU who beat Furman head-to-head over a 6-win Furman team. I don't see any way a 6-win team gets in from the SoCon unless that team somehow gets the auto-bid. If ETSU is the all-out champion (beats Samford), then I really do think it will be them and Wofford as the only teams. If that happens and Wofford pukes all over themselves and loses either one of their remaining games, I could see it as ETSU as the only team that gets in. So most likely - Samford, ETSU, and Wofford. Good chance - ETSU and Wofford. Unrealistic but possible - ETSU alone. Furman only gets in if somehow the math works out and they get the auto-bid in some kind of tie that doesn't involve Samford. In that scenario, the league probably only gets 2.

Yes 6-2 in the SoCon is good and what would put us in if other teams lose, lost OOC on the road to FBS #2 ranked Clemson and on the road to #5 ranked Elon, those won't hurt us

wcugrad95
November 5th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I should mark this day down somehow, but FUBeAR made a post I at least logically can agree with ��

Furman fans should not include Colgate in any argument this season, but if they focus on only 4 losses (3 FCS) that sounds much better. I still think the auto-bid is the only chance, but I needed to highlight a rare agreement with FUBeAR.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I should mark this day down somehow, but FUBeAR made a post I at least logically can agree with ��

Furman fans should not include Colgate in any argument this season, but if they focus on only 4 losses (3 FCS) that sounds much better. I still think the auto-bid is the only chance, but I needed to highlight a rare agreement with FUBeAR.

Correct as long as Colgate won't hurt us that's all we desire

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I should mark this day down somehow, but FUBeAR made a post I at least logically can agree with 

Furman fans should not include Colgate in any argument this season, but if they focus on only 4 losses (3 FCS) that sounds much better. I still think the auto-bid is the only chance, but I needed to highlight a rare agreement with FUBeAR.If you don’t agree with FUBeAR’s speculative/predictive posts or even FUBeAR’s PowerPoll (where he occasionally ‘spins’ some things), that’s cool.

But, if you don’t agree with FUBeAR’s analytical, fact-based posts, you’re wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8E7_u2qgjE

xthumbsupx

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I posted it in the SOCON playoff Scenario thread, but just so everyone knows, I got an answer from the SOCON Office about the tie breaker rules.

OK gang, here is the answer from the SOCON Office. Sent by e-mail to me by Mr. Stanley Broaden, Director of Championships.

"The tie breaking criteria would be the fewest points allowed in conference games."

I think that answers it pretty well. If ETSU, Wofford and Furman all tie and it gets to points, it is points allowed in all SOCON games. Nice to know for the future even if this does not come to pass this year.

So if it comes down to points we sit at

Furman - 146 with VMI and Mercer to go
Wofford - 152 with WCU to go
ETSU - 179 with Samford to go

Clearly Wofford has the leg up even behind by 6 with only one game to go. Furman needs to basically pitch two shutouts. ETSU would be pretty much out of it unless they not only pitch a shutout, but hope Wofford and Furman both screw the pooch.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2018, 08:21 PM
If that is the intention of the rule, it sure isn't made clear in the wording.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 08:25 PM
I posted it in the SOCON playoff Scenario thread, but just so everyone knows, I got an answer from the SOCON Office about the tie breaker rules.

OK gang, here is the answer from the SOCON Office. Sent by e-mail to me by Mr. Stanley Broaden, Director of Championships.

"The tie breaking criteria would be the fewest points allowed in conference games."

I think that answers it pretty well. If ETSU, Wofford and Furman all tie and it gets to points, it is points allowed in all SOCON games. Nice to know for the future even if this does not come to pass this year.

So if it comes down to points we sit at

Furman - 146 with VMI and Mercer to go
Wofford - 152 with WCU to go
ETSU - 179 with Samford to go

Clearly Wofford has the leg up even behind by 6 with only one game to go. Furman needs to basically pitch two shutouts. ETSU would be pretty much out of it unless they not only pitch a shutout, but hope Wofford and Furman both screw the pooch.

First off thank you for getting the answer to this cleared up, much appreciated!

So I think Furman can have a good shot at this one if we can hold VMI down this weekend (very possible) and Mr. Adams puts on a show in the 'Whee this weekend (also possible), does not mean WCU has to win but just get some offense going

That would set up the Dins for a shot at this thing

- - - Updated - - -

Also will the Mercer walk on QB still be starting for them in 2 weeks will be a big question as well

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 08:31 PM
So here is everything in play for Furman's path to the autobid essentially:

Furman must beat VMI (while holding them down in points total)

Citadel must beat Samford

WCU should put some decent points on the board in a loss to Wofford

Furman must beat Mercer and hope to hold them down in points total

Samford must beat ETSU

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 08:49 PM
So here is everything in play for Furman's path to the autobid essentially:

Furman must beat VMI (while holding them down in points total)

WCU should put some decent points on the board in a loss to Wofford

Furman must beat Mercer and hope to hold them down in points total

Samford must beat ETSU

VMI averages 30 points a game in SOCON play.

Mercer averages 34.5.

That is a 64.5 point average for Furman to overcome.

WCU averages 34.

Samford averages 43.

If it comes to a tie, Furman is in trouble. Unless their D has two really good games.

I will be honest, I just don't know if we can get by Samford so it may all be for naught anyway.

All the other outcomes I expect in regard to W/L.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 08:57 PM
VMI averages 30 points a game in SOCON play.

Mercer averages 34.5.

That is a 64.5 point average for Furman to overcome.

WCU averages 34.

Samford averages 43.

If it comes to a tie, Furman is in trouble. Unless their D has two really good games.

I will be honest, I just don't know if we can get by Samford so it may all be for naught anyway.

All the other outcomes I expect in regard to W/L.

You are correct, the Furman 'defense' must shine and the Citadel must shine as well, those things are not given but certainly possible, heck I have seen a lot crazier things than that unfold in the past so I am not gonna write it off until the fat lady sings

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 09:13 PM
You are correct, the Furman 'defense' must shine and the Citadel must shine as well, those things are not given but certainly possible, heck I have seen a lot crazier things than that unfold in the past so I am not gonna write it off until the fat lady sings

I am really interested to see who we start at QB. Our starter or our back up. Our starter was suspended for the game. It was so refreshing to see the back up last week pound yards. He was our FB last year and he likes to plow. Our starter is a bit smaller, and a much better passer. I would not be surprised to see the back up play since Samford will not have as much film on him.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I am really interested to see who we start at QB. Our starter or our back up. Our starter was suspended for the game. It was so refreshing to see the back up last week pound yards. He was our FB last year and he likes to plow. Our starter is a bit smaller, and a much better passer. I would not be surprised to see the back up play since Samford will not have as much film on him.

Yeah I would say start the kid from last week see how he does first half, maybe the team rallies behind him especially at home with the crowd support

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Yeah I would say start the kid from last week see how he does first half, maybe the team rallies behind him especially at home with the crowd support

Our season is over, get him game time is a good idea. I say let the regular starter play Alabama, and then play the kid again against CSU for even more game time.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 09:30 PM
First off thank you for getting the answer to this cleared up, much appreciated!

So I think Furman can have a good shot at this one if we can hold VMI down this weekend (very possible) and Mr. Adams puts on a show in the 'Whee this weekend (also possible), does not mean WCU has to win but just get some offense going

That would set up the Dins for a shot at this thing

- - - Updated - - -

Also will the Mercer walk on QB still be starting for them in 2 weeks will be a big question as well

Coach Lamb said in his Press Conference today that "the Mercer walk on QB" may be 'the guy' this week against Chattanooga...but in other news, he also said (for the 1st mention of a possible return, since he was injured on 9/22 (which will be 7 weeks ago this Saturday)) that the QB who won the Mercer Starting QB job this year, R-FR Robert Riddle, is "day-to-day" along with Kaelan Riley, who has started 16 games for the Bears in his career.

So, by the time the FU game rolls around, it could be 2-game Starter, R-FR, Harrison Frost; or it could be 3-game Starter, R-FR, Robert Riddle; or it could be 16-game Starter, R-SO, Kaelan Riley taking the snaps for Mercer...or it could be FUBeAR...always a possibility that must be considered...and reckoned with.

Also, on the Bear's injury front, while you're trying to total up prospective points in a game that will be played 2 weeks from now...

* All SoCon/Mercer's All-Time Leading Rusher, Tee Mitchell is also day-to-day...but an inside source told me that he said on this past Saturday, that he expects to play against Chattanooga...despite wearing such a large & complex brace on his wing that looked as if he must have just had a bionic arm installed. Maybe he did...Mercer has quite a program in their BioEngineering Department - they have provided new limbs for over 10,000 amputees in Vietnam (primarily victims of 'leftover' war era land mines) in the past 9 years. 1 arm for a RB...no sweat!

* Mercer's SuperFrosh WR/ATH/KR/Wildcat & Trick-Play QB/Special Teams Terror/Designated Tackler on INT's/Outfielder, David Durden, left the ETSU game with a concussion when he creamed the ETSU DB, who made the INT in the 3rd quarter. He's day-to-day also. I hope he's OK & back by the FU game, so my FU peeps can see him play. I dare you not to LOVE watching this kid play Football...even if he does play for 'the other Team.' Give me 22 of him - they can all be the 6'2 200, as he is...and I'll win the FCS National Championship. Sure we'd have to do some unique blocking schemes and bow up big-time to stop the power running Teams, but my 22 Durdens would figure out how to git 'r done!

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Coach Lamb said in his Press Conference today that "the Mercer walk on QB" may be 'the guy' this week against Chattanooga...but in other news, he also said (for the 1st mention of a possible return, since he was injured on 9/22 (which will be 7 weeks ago this Saturday)) that the QB who won the Mercer Starting QB job this year, R-FR Robert Riddle, is "day-to-day" along with Kaelan Riley, who has started 16 games for the Bears in his career.

So, by the time the FU game rolls around, it could be 2-game Starter, R-FR, Harrison Frost; or it could be 3-game Starter, R-FR, Robert Riddle; or it could be 16-game Starter, R-SO, Kaelan Riley taking the snaps for Mercer...or it could be FUBeAR...always a possibility that must be considered...and reckoned with.

Hard to believe Riddle would be back. Thought he broke his collar bone. Why push him for a done season. He could be gold for them next year.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Hard to believe Riddle would be back. Thought he broke his collar bone. Why push him for a done season. He could be gold for them next year.

Good point, and I am thinking Lamb is gonna need gold next year honestly

SU DOG
November 5th, 2018, 09:42 PM

It will be Rainey according to The Citadel Game Notes. Of course that can change. I was also surprised to see Lonzo Ward not a starter, as he is listed behind Clay Harris.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 09:55 PM

So we have to pull for the bellhops to win a game? Is there an appeal process for this? That's a HUGE ask!!!

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 10:05 PM
It will be Rainey according to The Citadel Game Notes. Of course that can change. I was also surprised to see Lonzo Ward not a starter, as he is listed behind Clay Harris.

Well shoot, that was out fast.

OK, I guess Rainey will start. Well, Harris did have a 126 yard day last week. Let him run. Ward will see the field if he falters or needs a break.

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 10:06 PM
So we have to pull for the bellhops to win a game? Is there an appeal process for this? That's a HUGE ask!!!

You are a closet fan of The Citadel and we all know it.

gofurman
November 5th, 2018, 10:13 PM

Also, on the Bear's injury front, while you're trying to total up prospective points in a game that will be played 2 weeks from now...

* All SoCon/Mercer's All-Time Leading Rusher, Tee Mitchell is also day-to-day...but an inside source told me that he said on this past Saturday, that he expects to play against Chattanooga...despite wearing such a large & complex brace on his wing that looked as if he must have just had a bionic arm installed. Maybe he did...Mercer has quite a program in their BioEngineering Department - they have provided new limbs for over 10,000 amputees in Vietnam (primarily victims of 'leftover' war era land mines) in the past 9 years. 1 arm for a RB...no sweat!

* Mercer's SuperFrosh WR/ATH/KR/Wildcat & Trick-Play QB/Special Teams Terror/Designated Tackler on INT's/Outfielder, David Durden, left the ETSU game with a concussion when he creamed the ETSU DB, who made the INT in the 3rd quarter. He's day-to-day also. I hope he's OK & back by the FU game, so my FU peeps can see him play. I dare you not to LOVE watching this kid play Football...even if he does play for 'the other Team.' Give me 22 of him - they can all be the 6'2 200, as he is...and I'll win the FCS National Championship. Sure we'd have to do some unique blocking schemes and bow up big-time to stop the power running Teams, but my 22 Durdens would figure out how to git 'r done!

So basically everyone will be available by the time Furman comes to town. Great 😳

You in Mercer need to roll over so as to help the SoCon look better for Furmans playoff chances. Instead you all have been super hurt and then - just as Furman comes to town - you bring back Tee Mitchell and all your QBs and Durden

and there you had me believing the QB was on the shelf for the year. I will say if a QB is gimpy and you aren't making the playoffs I'm not sure why you would bring back a mildly hurt QB

Question. What was Riddle's injury? Broken collar bone ? What was Riley's injury?

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Hard to believe Riddle would be back. Thought he broke his collar bone. Why push him for a done season. He could be gold for them next year.Continuation of employment could be a good reason.

Just kidding (PALADIN FAN!).

I don't think Coach Lamb is at any risk at all this year. Despite the potential of finishing 4-7/3-5, this Team has looked much better Coached, much more talented, and much more prepared to play every game (Memphis blitzkrieg notwithstanding) than prior editions of the Bears. I just can't explain the lack of results on D this year, but that is an anomaly. The D has been, for the must part, very undermanned in the past, and performed above their abilities. This year, that seems to have reversed, quite unfortunately. Special Teams, barring a %)#*$@*%_#ing KOR TD by the #(#)$%& bellhops have been ON POINT! And the O, while, personally, I don't like a lot about the 'philosophy' of it, has been strong...especially considering the injury to Riddle and the injuries to Riley & Mitchell so early in the Woffy game. Jeez - They just took the 2018 SoCon Champions to the wire using a QB-Centric Offense with a QB that hasn't started a Football game since he got his Learner's Permit! Irvin will be a BIG loss, as will Mitchell, and the OLine must continue to improve...but I think with the 8+ Starters returning on both sides of the ball, the Bears will get it together next year. P Shiel and PK Fisher will be HARD to replace though. Hey, I bet Durden can Punt AND Kick!

Also - to your question - beating Furman & Coach Hendrix, despite anyone's claims otherwise, is pretty important to Coach Lamb and others on that Coaching Staff & in that program.

Also2 - to you question - I'm no Medical Doctor (my PhD is in another field), but I've heard that once a bone is fully healed (knitted), it is stronger at that spot than before it was broken. Healing time can vary from 6-12 weeks, but X-Rays and other imaging methodologies can see pretty darn well if a bone is healed or not.

Also3 - to your question - I believe I have heard of 2 instances this season of QB's coming back after only 3 or 4 weeks of being out with broken collar bones. I believe those dudes had surgery and I believe it was on their non-throwing side, so it's different in that respect. I'm sure Riddle's was his throwing-side collar bone, but I don't know if he had surgery or not.

Also4 - to your question - I do know a former Bear, kind of a heavy OL dude, that broke a weight bearing bone, had surgery on it, and came back & played the final game of the season after missing 6 weeks. Played fine...no further complications to this day...3 years later.

If he's ready to play, he should play; not be 'saved for next year.' If he's not ready, he shouldn't play. It's really that simple.

gofurman
November 5th, 2018, 11:20 PM

WCU, I am not saying Furman should be in playoffs. I would be excited if we won SoCon - if win out and Samford beats ETSU we tie as SoCon champs! That would be great Another year as SoCon champs and the players get champ rings !

that said if Furman wins out one factor the committee says is wining a lot of your later games. Like last year we win 7 of last 8. And made playoffs. If we win out we would have won 6 of last 7

anyway no biggie - I would be elated if Furman won (tied) as SoCon Champion.
In Hendrix first year he made playoffs.. And in his second year to win SoCon ? That's AMAZING as he barely has any of his guys playing yet !!! Wait till he gets his work on the OL which is his specialty with two or three more years. Because right now the OL aren't his guys - our OL is a slightly different style than who he is looking for... I hope Hendrix is still with us in a few years- please

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 05:05 AM
I'd be interested to know if Clay Hendrix has conscripted the math department at Furman to run numbers on his fourth-down decision making.

Furman goes for it on 4th down a good bit, and has done so even deep inside their own zone (I think we went for it on our own 12 against WCU). In conference play, Furman converts 70% of their 4th down attempts, outpaced only by--surprisingly--ETSU (on fewer attempts).

Interestingly, three of the teams that go for it the most (Citadel, VMI, and UTC) are the worst at converting it. Wofford, I was surprised to see, has an abysmal 36% conversion rate on 4th down. That is incredibly surprising for an option-based team, which tends to base 4th down conversions as a key part of their offensive strategy.

I imagine there are a lot of factors that get baked into the cake on whether to go for it. Hendrix, perhaps uniquely, appears less aggressive in plus territory than he is on his own side of the field, presumably because he knows he's got a kicker that's consistently good from 50+. No real need to attempt a 4th down conversion on the opponents 27 yard line when you can hit the Grayson Atkins' Button.

Furman's 4th down conversion rate is 70%. Grayson Atkins' field goal percentage is 100%. Not a particularly hard call if you are inside the 35.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I'd be interested to know if Clay Hendrix has conscripted the math department at Furman to run numbers on his fourth-down decision making.

Furman goes for it on 4th down a good bit, and has done so even deep inside their own zone (I think we went for it on our own 12 against WCU). In conference play, Furman converts 70% of their 4th down attempts, outpaced only by--surprisingly--ETSU (on fewer attempts).

Interestingly, three of the teams that go for it the most (Citadel, VMI, and UTC) are the worst at converting it. Wofford, I was surprised to see, has an abysmal 36% conversion rate on 4th down. That is incredibly surprising for an option-based team, which tends to base 4th down conversions as a key part of their offensive strategy.

I imagine there are a lot of factors that get baked into the cake on whether to go for it. Hendrix, perhaps uniquely, appears less aggressive in plus territory than he is on his own side of the field, presumably because he knows he's got a kicker that's consistently good from 50+. No real need to attempt a 4th down conversion on the opponents 27 yard line when you can hit the Grayson Atkins' Button.

Furman's 4th down conversion rate is 70%. Grayson Atkins' field goal percentage is 100%. Not a particularly hard call if you are inside the 35.

I think it may be because so many of Furman's fourth down attempts have been on very short yardage (<2 yards, in some cases one yard). I think you can explain Wofford's poor conversion percentage by the simple fact that we are slowly but surely moving away from the option. Unless we're down points and our OC reverts back to option thinking which can be frustrating.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I think it may be because so many of Furman's fourth down attempts have been on very short yardage (<2 yards, in some cases one yard). I think you can explain Wofford's poor conversion percentage by the simple fact that we are slowly but surely moving away from the option. Unless we're down points and our OC reverts back to option thinking which can be frustrating.

If there is short yardage, I think the math says you virtually always go for it regardless of where you are on the field.

I think Furman would probably go for it more often, but the defense has come on strong recently and Furman is equipped with arguably the league's best punter and kicker (who happen to be the same guy).

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Said it a few times, but I'm really excited about the future with this young stable of running backs. Devin Wynn seems to have a 50+ yard touchdown carry almost every week.

Good example of Devin Wynn's versatility. This play, in my opinion, had no reason to be a touchdown. Furman is in a splitback shotgun look and UTC crashes in from both sides. This looks like an option play and a bad read by Roberts, but it may just be a straight give with a little English carrying out the look of the option.

Not a great block by the RG on Isaiah Mack (who, admittedly, isn't easy to block). I can hear my old defensive line coach, though, screaming about over penetration. Mack gets in the backfield, but he overruns the play and takes himself out.

The rest is just Wynn. I presume UTC has some boys that can run in the defensive backfield. Wynn makes them look like they are running with bricks tied to their feet. That boy can scoot.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058775235149783041

Another nice run by Corey Watkins. Watkins is probably the most punishing of the three backs, and reminds me a lot of a guy that also wore #31, Brandon Mays. Good speed, tough guy to tackle, and runs HARD.

Upon second look, I think this the the same play run to the other side. If you can get 16 yards against 8 in the box, you'll be alright.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058780348694183936
(https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058780348694183936)

ElCid
November 6th, 2018, 08:46 AM

Any meaningful analysis of 4th down conversion decision making must take the actual situations into account. Situations like field position, yards needed, score, time remaining, etc. Most of our short yardage tries have been successful. I have to go see our numbers, but I think we done well in making the tough calls, not the desperate ones.

walliver
November 6th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Wofford's 4th down percentage has been poor this year, but some of it has been a change in philosophy. Mike Ayers would go from anywhere on the field, while Josh Conklin is more conservative. We usually run our 4th down plays out of a shotgun/pistol formation and rarely out of an under center formation which I think limits us. Many of our attempts this year have been 4th and 3 or 4 from just outside of FG range. We also have a young offensive line that doesn't have the push of previous years yet.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I know I may just come off as a Wofford homer and excusing all of our weaknesses and shortcomings, but I can't help but think that the feast/famine nature of our team this year has a lot to do with changes in coaching philosophy. Fourth down is just one measure among many. We're much better on third down this year compared to last year, at least on defense.

I don't think we'll know what kind of coaching philosophy Conklin implements until late next year or 2020.

sudog03
November 6th, 2018, 09:06 AM
We also have a young offensive line that doesn't have the push of previous years yet.

Couldn't agree more. Probably the biggest takeaway I had from the SU/Wofford game. Samford has had it's fair share of good DL group's over the years, but I've never seen us dominate Wofford at the LOS like that. Can't help but think Wofford misses the presence of Eric Nash.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 09:14 AM
The OL play of Wofford this year has been inconsistent. It's worth mentioning that the last 2 weeks we've missed one of our best with a concussion.

But anyway, there have been some games where we've just been dominant, and others where we don't show up. I'm inclined to blame the youth (no seniors at OL this year) and a slight change in philosophy (more passing/RPOS), because FU Bear (who knows more about these things) has good things to say about how they appear to have been coached.

We lost like 3 or 4 OL going into this year and we rotate them more than in years past. We've pivoted our philosophy in ways I hadn't appreciated until we got that second conference loss. We're mostly the same team as last year personnel-wise, but our philosophy is different enough (rotating more young players, more variation on defense, more passing on offense) to expect different outcomes. So I'm pleased with how we've performed thus far.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Couldn't agree more. Probably the biggest takeaway I had from the SU/Wofford game. Samford has had it's fair share of good DL group's over the years, but I've never seen us dominate Wofford at the LOS like that. Can't help but think Wofford misses the presence of Eric Nash.
They were very bad against Furman as well. Have looked very good to me in other games. Youth, of both Players & Coach probably playing major role in inconsistency. But, from what I’ve seen on the ‘good side,’ I think Coach & most of those young’ins are gonna be good’uns.

BTW - I think Woffy was missing a good Starting OT vs. Sammy & I think he’s one of their more exp’d guys. May have missed his on-field leadership as well. I haven’t seen much of the game, but from the limited bit I did see, let’s just say there seemed to be a pretty sizable Performance gap between the injured Starter and his backup.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 09:22 AM
The OL play of Wofford this year has been inconsistent. It's worth mentioning that the last 2 weeks we've missed one of our best with a concussion.

But anyway, there have been some games where we've just been dominant, and others where we don't show up. I'm inclined to blame the youth (no seniors at OL this year) and a slight change in philosophy (more passing/RPOS), because FU Bear (who knows more about these things) has good things to say about how they appear to have been coached.

We lost like 3 or 4 OL going into this year and we rotate them more than in years past. We've pivoted our philosophy in ways I hadn't appreciated until we got that second conference loss. We're mostly the same team as last year personnel-wise, but our philosophy is different enough (rotating more young players, more variation on defense, more passing on offense) to expect different outcomes. So I'm pleased with how we've performed thus far.beat me to it.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 09:23 AM

We lost like 3 or 4 OL going into this year and we rotate them more than in years past. We've pivoted our philosophy in ways I hadn't appreciated until we got that second conference loss. We're mostly the same team as last year personnel-wise, but our philosophy is different enough (rotating more young players, more variation on defense, more passing on offense) to expect different outcomes. So I'm pleased with how we've performed thus far.

The offensive line issue can be a problem. I think that is what hurt Lamb in his later years at Furman. I think it hurt Bruce Fowler. Just way too many misses on offensive linemen.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Clay Hendrix has been, in my view, a little unorthodox in his OL use. He rotates offensive linemen like a lot of teams rotate receivers and running backs.

I think the goal is to keep guys fresh and maybe protect some guys that are a little gimpy. I think the only guy who wasn't routinely rotating against UTC was C Cole Neely.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Said it a few times, but I'm really excited about the future with this young stable of running backs. Devin Wynn seems to have a 50+ yard touchdown carry almost every week.

Good example of Devin Wynn's versatility. This play, in my opinion, had no reason to be a touchdown. Furman is in a splitback shotgun look and UTC crashes in from both sides. This looks like an option play and a bad read by Roberts, but it may just be a straight give with a little English carrying out the look of the option.

Not a great block by the RG on Isaiah Mack (who, admittedly, isn't easy to block). I can hear my old defensive line coach, though, screaming about over penetration. Mack gets in the backfield, but he overruns the play and takes himself out.

The rest is just Wynn. I presume UTC has some boys that can run in the defensive backfield. Wynn makes them look like they are running with bricks tied to their feet. That boy can scoot.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058775235149783041

Another nice run by Corey Watkins. Watkins is probably the most punishing of the three backs, and reminds me a lot of a guy that also wore #31, Brandon Mays. Good speed, tough guy to tackle, and runs HARD.

Upon second look, I think this the the same play run to the other side. If you can get 16 yards against 8 in the box, you'll be alright.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058780348694183936
(https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1058780348694183936)
That’s actually the Center blocking back on Mack. VERY difficult to snap the ball & take a flat enough step to get something on a hard-charging DLman, who is probably jumping the snap count also. Ideally, if he does that, you just get a wee little piece of him & he takes himself out of the play...as you noted that he did. OL WIN! Yay!

The play is a counter-trap with Option motion. The inside-out positioning of the OT’s going up on the LB’s tells me this is a predetermined give / trap...and the option fakes are window dressing. Love this play...and so many others the ‘Dins are running!! BTW - that EXACT play was a staple of the Paladin Offenses of the late 70’s and 80’s. 22/23 Trap - the counter to 32/33 Veer. Everything old is new again! Happy days are here again!

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Clay Hendrix has been, in my view, a little unorthodox in his OL use. He rotates offensive linemen like a lot of teams rotate receivers and running backs.

I think the goal is to keep guys fresh and maybe protect some guys that are a little gimpy. I think the only guy who wasn't routinely rotating against UTC was C Cole Neely.

Wofford this year has alternated between the first/second OL as a group, but never in the middle of series. I have noticed Furman doing it though.

It appears one of Conklin's goals/philosophies is to create more depth, give more players more PT. I think it's the key to success at this level. The DC Siefkis said that it's the philosophy to rotate 25-28 players on defense and I'm 90% certain that wasn't the case last year. From the looks of things, we probably do the same on offense as well

sudog03
November 6th, 2018, 09:43 AM
more passing on offense.

I thought so too when watching Wofford, then I went back and looked at the numbers. Counting attempts and sacks allowed, Wofford is passing 24% of the time, it was 20% last season. Those are league game only numbers. Now there maybe more RPO stuff in there, but that's really hard to know unless you actually know the call. Something could be made to look RPO, when really it's just a called play-action or called run play. In watching, I would have thought the difference in passing plays to be more significant.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 09:52 AM
I thought so too when watching Wofford, then I went back and looked at the numbers. Counting attempts and sacks allowed, Wofford is passing 24% of the time, it was 20% last season. Those are league game only numbers. Now there maybe more RPO stuff in there, but that's really hard to know unless you actually know the call. Something could be made to look RPO, when really it's just a called play-action or called run play. In watching, I would have thought the difference in passing plays to be more significant.

Wofford has already passed for 1000 yards this season. We're probably attempting and completing 1-2 more passes per game. a lot of that is on the dink and dunk RPO and strategic routes (like the one TJ Luther dropped a sure TD against Samford at the end of the first half). The most we've thrown for in the last 15 years or so was 1500 yards twice and 1300 in the last few seasons. We'll probably eclipse that 1300 mark, especially if we make the playoffs.

The difference between this year (and maybe last year too) and years prior is that the passing game was a trick play where we would just throw it deep on 2nd and short. Now, we'll pass on any down, but we more actively try the shorter stuff (~7 yards or so). I personally think our offense would be much better if we didn't run the option so much. We don't have to change our philosophy or our fundamentals, it's just a matter of playcalling. On our first TD drive against Samford, we scored on a trick play, yes, but we moved the ball pretty effectively on that drive with variety in playcalling. Then on some possessions we called 3 options in a row (or something like that) and the reads just weren't there. That's the only explanation for why playcalling seems to be streaky/inconsistent. When you're an option team, a lot of playcalling gets externalized to the field in the middle of the play (as opposed to presnap with a player such as Hodges).

I know in football on some plays you win and some you lose, but the difference between an option team and a team that runs a pro offense is the lack of moving parts. You have to line up and execute with any offense, but there's a lot more variation with option offenses, more susceptible to reads. I hate that. I think that's why we don't execute as well as we could, and why Furman's offense, though similar, is much different and more effective from ours.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 09:54 AM
That’s actually the Center blocking back on Mack. VERY difficult to snap the ball & take a flat enough step to get something on a hard-charging DLman, who is probably jumping the snap count also. Ideally, if he does that, you just get a wee little piece of him & he takes himself out of the play...as you noted that he did. OL WIN! Yay!

The play is a counter-trap with Option motion. The inside-out positioning of the OT’s going up on the LB’s tells me this is a predetermined give / trap...and the option fakes are window dressing. Love this play...and so many others the ‘Dins are running!! BTW - that EXACT play was a staple of the Paladin Offenses of the late 70’s and 80’s. 22/23 Trap - the counter to 32/33 Veer. Everything old is new again! Happy days are here again!

The 31 and 32 counter-trap was a staple of the old high school offense. The ball carrier was almost always the fullback out of the I, though.

I think plays like this are why some seem to think Furman is an "option team." It looks like an option, but it isn't.

If Furman's version is anything like the one I learned, you are hoping for just enough action in the backfield to get the linebacker to make a false step on what he thinks he sees. You can see that on the Watkins run, the MLB starts attacking the QB option which doesn't exist. By the time he realizes he made the wrong read, Watkins is past him.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 10:03 AM
To put things in perspective on Wofford's passing: the most we'd thrown for in a season was 182 times in 2007. Last year was second with 157. We've already thrown the ball about 135 times. If we play 13 games like we did in those seasons, we will probably eclipse those numbers.

The kicker is, we will likely finish the season with a completion percentage 10% higher (or so) than either of those seasons. That's mainly because we throw it more (IMO creates better chemistry between QB and RB) but also because we're throwing it shorter and with quicker routes that have a higher chance of being completion. It also looks like we're recruiting QBs that are more balanced and not just option guys in the future.

Wofford football in 2019 and beyond is going to look different.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I think plays like this are why some seem to think Furman is an "option team." It looks like an option, but it isn't.

that's why I refer to it as a team that operates under option fundamentals. It's what made Furman successful in the early 2000s. Option was one weapon in the arsenal, and perhaps the blocking scheme was based on option fundamentals, but they threw the ball 20 times a game. I think that's a style of play any small private school can replicate and have more success than the raw option. It's what Furman is doing and it's more successful than Wofford's offense. I want Wofford to run that offense, but some of the good ole boys will have an aneurysm if you suggest moving away from the option.

ElCid
November 6th, 2018, 10:35 AM
To put things in perspective on Wofford's passing: the most we'd thrown for in a season was 182 times in 2007. Last year was second with 157. We've already thrown the ball about 135 times. If we play 13 games like we did in those seasons, we will probably eclipse those numbers.

The kicker is, we will likely finish the season with a completion percentage 10% higher (or so) than either of those seasons. That's mainly because we throw it more (IMO creates better chemistry between QB and RB) but also because we're throwing it shorter and with quicker routes that have a higher chance of being completion. It also looks like we're recruiting QBs that are more balanced and not just option guys in the future.

Wofford football in 2019 and beyond is going to look different.

I fully expected Wofford to not do as well this year due to the coaching change. But it appears he has tread softly so far.

Our numbers passing are fairly steady:

Year att/yrds games record
2018 - 94/723 - 8 gms 3-5
2017 - 139/1042 - 11 gms 5-6
2016 - 126/820 - 12 gms 10-2
2015 - 108/964 - 13 gms 9-4
2014 - 147/958 - 12 gms 5-7
2013 - 153/1001 - 12 gms 5-7
2012 - 117/900 - 11 gms 7-4

That averages out to 11.3 attempts per game. And 82 yards a game. We are slightly above that so far this year but have Alafreakenbama yet so we will probably be close to par.

The thing that stands out to me in our numbers is you can tell when we are running well, and winning, and when we actually need to pass. Our best years 7-4, 9-4 and 10-2 are our lowest pass attempt numbers, although this year may be close. The highest attempt are the years with losing records. Kind of makes us predictable huh?

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 10:37 AM
The 31 and 32 counter-trap was a staple of the old high school offense. The ball carrier was almost always the fullback out of the I, though.

If Furman's version is anything like the one I learned, you are hoping for just enough action in the backfield to get the linebacker to make a false step on what he thinks he sees. You can see that on the Watkins run, the MLB starts attacking the QB option which doesn't exist. By the time he realizes he made the wrong read, Watkins is past him.Did you see the PassPro influence by the RG before he goes out to block the OLB on the Watkins run?

So slick - that pulls the DLman deeper upfield thinking he’s gonna rush the passer (those Chatt dudes love stats) and sets him up to have his timepiece bathed by the Trapping OG.

Our good UFFP friend, sluggo, at 5’11” 260; quick as a cat, strong as an ox, and mean as a snake - used to DESTROY DLmen on this play. He made them regret their foolish decisions to play DLine...or, really to play Football altogether. I saw a couple of them asking their Band Directors, after the game, if he had any available scholarships! xnodx

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2018, 02:06 PM
I fully expected Wofford to not do as well this year due to the coaching change. But it appears he has tread softly so far.

Our numbers passing are fairly steady:

Year att/yrds games record
2018 - 94/723 - 8 gms 3-5
2017 - 139/1042 - 11 gms 5-6
2016 - 126/820 - 12 gms 10-2
2015 - 108/964 - 13 gms 9-4
2014 - 147/958 - 12 gms 5-7
2013 - 153/1001 - 12 gms 5-7
2012 - 117/900 - 11 gms 7-4

That averages out to 11.3 attempts per game. And 82 yards a game. We are slightly above that so far this year but have Alafreakenbama yet so we will probably be close to par.

The thing that stands out to me in our numbers is you can tell when we are running well, and winning, and when we actually need to pass. Our best years 7-4, 9-4 and 10-2 are our lowest pass attempt numbers, although this year may be close. The highest attempt are the years with losing records. Kind of makes us predictable huh?See, Wofford is different. Even though this year is shaping up differently than past years, there seems to be a correlation with passing the ball well and good offensive numbers.

The worst Wofford team to make the playoffs was probably the 2012 team. Yes, we had Eric Breteinstein who ran for 2000 yards in 13 games. But that was literally it. We threw it for less times for less completions and less yards (less than 600 for the year I think). I think the rest of our running backs had less than 1000 yards between them.

Because Wofford runs an offense that's as much spread as it is option, passing the ball is important to our success. For some reason our OC hadn't thought of that between 2012 and 2016 or so.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Did you see the PassPro influence by the RG before he goes out to block the OLB on the Watkins run?

So slick - that pulls the DLman deeper upfield thinking he’s gonna rush the passer (those Chatt dudes love stats) and sets him up to have his timepiece bathed by the Trapping OG.

Our good UFFP friend, sluggo, at 5’11” 260; quick as a cat, strong as an ox, and mean as a snake - used to DESTROY DLmen on this play. He made them regret their foolish decisions to play DLine...or, really to play Football altogether. I saw a couple of them asking their Band Directors, after the game, if he had any available scholarships! xnodx

I had not noticed it, but a nifty move. Also an interesting path taken by the TE, who seems to fake a route out to the flat before leveling off to throw a block.

As you note, there's a lot of window dressing to disguise what is otherwise a pretty simple play.

I am anxious to see what some of these play designs look like with juniors and seniors running them instead of freshmen and sophomores.

gofurman
November 7th, 2018, 02:34 AM

If it's one thing I'll trust Hendrix to improve it's OL. That is his forte and why Air Force hired him (sorta like our Fisher DeBerry or whatnot)... even when AF promoted him to associate HC they kept him listed at "associate HC / OL

It will take 2 or 3 years for all of that to take as he wants a different style of OL player.. more athletic... not quite as big (in my opinion) - so right now only one guy Neely is Hendrix guy on the OL and one other walk-on McKinney at Guard is playing.. the other 7 or so are from Fowler and some are quite good but it may be different in 2/3 years when they have Hendrix training AND are guys he recruited for his style.. could easily take 3/4 years. he has a big OL class this year. But that's just OL. other positions should be one or two years from fruition - roles where a sophomore can play. OL really takes two years of weight lifting etc and a redshirt

SU FAN
November 7th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Our games with Citadel usually seem to be close nearly every year, with this one being at their place I would expect it to most likely come down to the wire

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2018, 04:56 AM
Our games with Citadel usually seem to be close nearly every year, with this one being at their place I would expect it to most likely come down to the wire

My concern would normally have been whether the Citadel, with little to play for, would keep the fight hot later in the season. They seemed to answer the bell against WCU.

Home underdogs looking to play spoiler can be dangerous.

SU DOG
November 7th, 2018, 08:38 AM
My concern would normally have been whether the Citadel, with little to play for, would keep the fight hot later in the season. They seemed to answer the bell against WCU.

Home underdogs looking to play spoiler can be dangerous.

That true, and I believe it is their Homecoming. Still IF we play our best, Samford wins.

kdinva
November 7th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Mercer 21 @ UTC 26
Furman 34 @ VMI 31
Samford 35 @ The Citadel 24
Wofford 31 @ Western Carolina 21

Scrappy94
November 8th, 2018, 07:11 PM
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. ETSU
4. Furman
5. Chattanooga
6. Mercer
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

Mercer @ Chattanooga - 28-17
Furman @ VMI - 41-21
Samford @ The Citadel - 35-24
Wofford @ Western Carolina - 42-28

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I had not heard of this award prior to this week (it may have already been posted), but three SoCon players are finalists for the Blanchard-Rogers Trophy, which they call the "South Carolina Heisman." Essentially, the award for the best player with South Carolina ties.

https://scfootballhof.org/membership/vote/2018-blanchard-rogers-trophy-finalists-presented-by-hales-jewelers/

Dawkins, Citadel
Hope, Furman
Stottard, Woffod

Hope is the only freshman.

gofurman
November 9th, 2018, 07:39 AM
I had not heard of this award prior to this week (it may have already been posted), but three SoCon players are finalists for the Blanchard-Rogers Trophy, which they call the "South Carolina Heisman." Essentially, the award for the best player with South Carolina ties.

https://scfootballhof.org/membership/vote/2018-blanchard-rogers-trophy-finalists-presented-by-hales-jewelers/

Dawkins, Citadel
Hope, Furman
Stottard, Woffod

Hope is the only freshman.

Thsi is what I mean about Hendtix recruiting! Here we have THE ONLY Freshman on the list... And he leads the SoCon in sacks despite playing ONE LESS GAME than most guys in the SoCon. AND in our six SoCon games he has faced both Woff and Citadel - the two option teams you aren't exactly going to sack.

IE, we have yet to play VMI and Mercer where Hope could get up to 14 sacks on the year - he already has more sacks than any Freshman in Furman history

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Thsi is what I mean about Hendtix recruiting! Here we have THE ONLY Freshman on the list... And he leads the SoCon in sacks despite playing ONE LESS GAME than most guys in the SoCon. AND in our six SoCon games he has faced both Woff and Citadel - the two option teams you aren't exactly going to sack.

IE, we have yet to play VMI and Mercer where Hope could get up to 14 sacks on the year - he already has more sacks than any Freshman in Furman history

Hope is something else. If he reaches 14 sacks, which is not inconceivable given Furman's final two games against pass happy (and sack prone) VMI and a Mercer team that drops back a good bit, he will finish 6th on the single season sack chart in the SoCon.

Only two players on the SoCon's top 10 single season sack records even played in the last 10 years (UTC's Davis and Tull). So, Hope is having one of the great seasons for any pass rusher in conference history, AND he's doing it as a freshman, AND he's doing it playing fewer games than everyone else, AND he's not even the starter.

We are way early yet, but if Hope keeps up this pace, he is going to obliterate SoCon career records for sacks. Davis Tull had 37, and right now Hope is on pace to fly past that mark.

SU DOG
November 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM
At the risk of offending Furman posters for interrupting this FU publicity thread:), I will get back to the original title and give my thoughts. My choices are:

UTC
Furman
Samford
Wofford

Just looking at the PRESENT level of play, IMO, Samford and Furman are the two best SoCon teams right now. ETSU must be given credit for what they have accomplished, and the stars have certainly aligned themselves in a Bucs formation. Now, this is not to say that Samford will win these last 2 games. Can - YES, and I still think we probably will. If we overlook The Citadel, and are thinking of next week, however, we will be in big trouble in Charleston. That team may have just found some answers. Another factor is the multiple defensive injuries that we incurred against Wofford. Three DL and a FS went down. Those DL that didn't return do include Gooden.:( Samford, as most schools, are closed mouth on injury status, so I know nothing about when. or even if, they can return(except for the FS whose severity of injury was evident).

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 02:36 PM
At the risk of offending Furman posters for interrupting this FU publicity thread:), I will get back to the original title and give my thoughts. My choices are:

UTC
Furman
Samford
Wofford

Just looking at the PRESENT level of play, IMO, Samford and Furman are the two best SoCon teams right now. ETSU must be given credit for what they have accomplished, and the stars have certainly aligned themselves in a Bucs formation. Now, this is not to say that Samford will win these last 2 games. Can - YES, and I still think we probably will. If we overlook The Citadel, and are thinking of next week, however, we will be in big trouble in Charleston. That team may have just found some answers. Another factor is the multiple defensive injuries that we incurred against Wofford. Three DL and a FS went down. Those DL that didn't return do include Gooden.:( Samford, as most schools, are closed mouth on injury status, so I know nothing about when. or even if, they can return(except for the FS whose severity of injury was evident).

I won't accept criticism of Furman's publicity from a Samford fan. Not after whatever this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk6ps7aLBSY

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I won't accept criticism of Furman's publicity from a Samford fan. Not after whatever this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk6ps7aLBSYHe’s got you there SU DOG - that video is now sitting adjacent to Appy’s “Hot, Hot, Hot” display of buffoonery in the SoCon Hall of Shame.

SU DOG
November 9th, 2018, 02:59 PM
LOL! Yeah it always amazes me what marketing people can come up with. Us older folks don't "cotton" to that video stuff, but many younger ones do. That little video has actually brought accolades from across the land - but NOT from me. Wonder if Furman Fans(and others) would agree with me about the 2 teams playing best in the SoCon right now? At least I am making an attempt to steer this thread back to something with a semblance of topic intent.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 03:07 PM
LOL! Yeah it always amazes me what marketing people can come up with. Us older folks don't "cotton" to that video stuff, but many younger ones do. That little video has actually brought accolades from across the land - but NOT from me. Wonder if Furman Fans(and others) would agree with me about the 2 teams playing best in the SoCon right now? At least I am making an attempt to steer this thread back to something with a semblance of topic intent.

I think Samford is probably playing at the level we all anticipated they would at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure what happened early in the year, but it almost seems like the Bulldogs were too busy believing their own hype and forgot to go win football games. Maybe too little too late.

Furman's playing well. The offense isn't the quick strike juggernaut it was last year, and I think some of that is to be expected given the youth on that side of the ball. The defense is currently playing at the level I expected from them all season.

I think Samford is a lot crisper than Furman right now. Furman is grinding out physical wins without a whole lot of finesse. You can see the Paladins gaining confidence with each victory - they are making key plays late to seal wins and hold onto leads.

Sandlapper Spike
November 9th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Harris had a good game last week and is, in my opinion, a more dynamic athlete than Ward. I think he has a better chance of breaking a long gainer from the B-back position.

gofurman
November 9th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I think Samford is probably playing at the level we all anticipated they would at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure what happened early in the year, but it almost seems like the Bulldogs were too busy believing their own hype and forgot to go win football games. Maybe too little too late.

Furman's playing well. The offense isn't the quick strike juggernaut it was last year, and I think some of that is to be expected given the youth on that side of the ball. The defense is currently playing at the level I expected from them all season.

I think Samford is a lot crisper than Furman right now. Furman is grinding out physical wins without a whole lot of finesse. You can see the Paladins gaining confidence with each victory - they are making key plays late to seal wins and hold onto leads.

V M I scares me. Sooooooo close. Lost to ETSU by 3. Lost to Citadel by 2. Lost to Chat 34-27 and lead most game

that said

Rank how teams are playing now -
Samford
Furman
Wofford
ETSU
Chatt
Mercer
Citadel
WCU
VMI

vs

standings
ETSU
Woff
Samford
Furman
Chatt
Mercer
Citadel
WCU
VMI

good job to ETSU on winnin'

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 01:26 AM
PowerPoll

1) Samford - started the season here and I can see them ending here, BUT I think a stumble this week is much more likely than next

2) Furman - playing solid football although a lot of AGS peeps don't seem to want to believe that. Oh well, they'll find out, but it may not be until next year when they do

3) Wofford - Good Team. Not as good as they or the RatDog Faithful think they are, but still formidable. Inconsistent OL Play and an unwarranted (this year) hubris on D seem to be their biggest flaws

4) Chattanooga - Strange that the Team in the SoCon with, overall, the best Players is also one of the least fun to watch. LOVE to see them become the latest SoCon Team to take a P5 scalp next week in Columbia. They may just bore the Cocks enough to go down there and steal a game from them...and make the Playoffs as a result.

5) ETSU - giving them 'their due' by placing them here. Great season for the Bucs and they will probably make the Playoffs, but they lose 4 out of 5 to any of the Teams above them (in this PowerPoll) and maybe 2 out of 3 to most below. They've done a great job at catching other Teams on that "1 out of" day though AND seizing the opportunities that have been there for them. There's a lot to be said for being fortunate AND capitalizing on that fortune. Also, even less fun to watch than Chattanooga

6) The Citadel - Rugged season for a Team that is still trying to 'find itself' in Week 11. Nice win last week and positioned well to rip the hearts, that were just sewn back into, out of the chests of some Alabama Bulldog fans. Then, maybe they can continue their streak of wins over Alabama-based Teams the following week. Not happening...but I wonder if their blocking techniques might end up affecting this year's FBS Championship race.

7) WCU - Tough to find a win when your Team can't play Defense and isn't all that good most anywhere else either, but they do have the most dynamic Player in the SoCon touching the ball every Play on O. As long as Tyrie Adams is healthy and taking the snaps, the Cantamounts are dangerous...well, they are at least fun to watch; a whole lot more fun than watching #4 & #5 on this list.

8) Mercer - Well, when you're down to playing a R-FR walk-on QB that didn't even start for his HS Team; without your #1 RB, who is your Team's All-Time leading rusher; without your 2nd best WR/best KR, who is a SuperFrosh game-changer; and, with a talented Defense that has been bafflingly inconsistent...you don't have to look too far down to see VMI, rising up to meet you.

9) VMI - YAY! - The Keydets beat Tusculum, so they get to stay in 9th place in FUBeAR's Weekly PowerPoll. I know they have been basking in the glory of their 1 game winning streak and par-tay-ing in Lexington all week. Time to call for your Uber, Keydets.

This Week's Pick'ems

Mercer @ Chattanooga - Mercer summons memories of their 2015 upset of #3 Ranked Chatt, accomplished when they were far less talented than the Mocs. Due to a spate of injuries to their Top Play-making Skill Players on O, they find themselves facing the same sort of talent gap this week. And the Bears find a way to channel the spirits of the "Day1's" and to win this game, by the eerie score of 17-14.

Furman @ VMI - Furman has no margin for error and they have no margin to allow VMI to score points. So, they don't. Paladins Defense wins the day and shuts out the Keydets, 31-0...and a new streak begins.

Samford @ The Citadel - PERFECT Opportunity for the bellhops to help the Paladins. They don't. But they give many Samford Fans chest pains. Bama-based Bulldogs win this one 28-27

Wofford @ Western Carolina - RatDogs come into Cullowhee, typically smug & overconfident, despite being neutered, without benefit of anesthesia, by both Furman, earlier in the season, and Samford, just last week. So, they run a Split 8 Front (for maximum edge pressure) and press man on the 3 wideouts. After Tyrie Adams goes up the middle, untouched, on 1st down QB draws for 75 yard scores 3 times in a row, the Woffy-Fan labeled "Mad Scientist of the D" makes an adjustment and goes to a 3-4 alignment and stays in mostly Cover 4. AMAZING...the Catamounts are slowed a good bit, but still moving the ball some. Ultimately Wofford's O tires after multiple trips up and down the Whitmire Stadium turf...and this freaky game comes to an end with the PorchYappers causing the Cantamount Faithful to tear their clothes and gnash their teeth once again. Terriers win 49-35 and prepare to do battle with yet anther tough OOC opponent, the winless against D1 Opponents & soon-to-be-non-schollie, Presbyterian Blue Hose. The AnkleBiters will be psyched up for that slocker-knobber!

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I think it's possible Furman can suppress points, it will just take limiting a few mistakes.

If you look at the last two games, nearly all the points Furman has surrendered in two strong defensive efforts were aided by mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.) The Citadel had a 91-yard play (assisted by a holding call), but other than that their longest drive was 47 yards. I'm not sure UTC would have even scored at all without two Furman turnovers in their own zone.

It's supposed to be cold and windy in Lexington. Those conditions favor Furman and will probably make things tougher on VMI's passing game. Limit mistakes, and I think our defense can hold them down.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Well, Furman is doing exactly what they need to - control the ball, score points, and keep VMI's offense on the sideline.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Furman up 35-7 at the half against VMI.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Wofford will lose to Western Carolina and wade Lang should resign

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Samford @ The Citadel - PERFECT Opportunity for the bellhops to help the Paladins. They don't. But they give many Samford Fans chest pains. Bama-based Bulldogs win this one 28-27

If the current score holds.......? You are the devil. Almost got it.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 03:56 PM
If Samford loses - most disappointing SoCon team in recent memory?

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM
If Samford loses - most disappointing SoCon team in recent memory?

Done, they ain't getting it back. Their wheels came off after FSU and while they came back for a few games, they were never the same. They have no consistency.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Done, they ain't getting it back. Their wheels came off after FSU and while they came back for a few games, they were never the same. They have no consistency.

Congrats dude, and THANKS!

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 04:02 PM
You know that feeling where you are watching your team down 8 to an option team just running the clock down? I do.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Ain’t the SoCon FUN!

SU DOG
November 10th, 2018, 04:08 PM
What a disappointment, but we seem to be consistent with this kind of thing. Congrats to The Citadel, tough bunch of kids.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 04:10 PM
What a disappointment, but we seem to be consistent with this kind of thing. Congrats to The Citadel, tough bunch of kids.

Ain't over yet.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 04:11 PM
If the current score holds.......? You are the devil. Almost got it.i was looking in a mirror & was disturbed during my visioneering session.

BTW - Dom Allen is hilarious. Such an unusual Cali accent on a kid from Augusta, who went to school in Charleston & I’m sure annoying as heck to peeps that never really played the game, but his passion is so on the surface. No way he could be any way other than how he is. Not the greatest Color Announcer, but as an OLineman, I want a guy like that as my QB!

BTW2 - FU peeps, be sure to tip your bellhops today; did us a major solid!

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Citadel screwing the prognosticators on defense and brining the house often against Hodges. Selective, but they've brought a bunch of guys a number of times.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Citadel screwing the prognosticators on defense and brining the house often against Hodges. Selective, but they've brought a bunch of guys a number of times.Nah...that’s the Identity of their D. Have to be true to who you are...and they were!

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 04:16 PM
This is my way too quick hot take. I think Hatcher needs to go back to the drawing board.

He's got the best athletes in the conference and it just never really seems to come together. There are plenty of shotgun spread offenses where you don't throw the ball 70 times a game. Samford seems to stall out in the redzone often, and that, I think, is because they don't run the ball.

When you base your team around a razzle dazzle type of offensive system, you can't go complete halves of football scoring 3 or 10 points. There's just too much pressure on your defense.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I wasn’t watching. Did Woffy open in the Split 8 with Press Man coverage?

ETSUfan1
November 10th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Halfway there for ETSU to clinch

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Halfway there for ETSU to clinchnot today. RatDogs going to win by 1 & WCU gonna score 40+

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM
not today. RatDogs going to win by 1 & WCU gonna score 40+

:D

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I am sorry but Mark Speir at WCU has to be the dumbest coach in the league, he just wasted 40 seconds on the clock when he has 3 timeouts, now only less than 3 minutes left lol, that guy needs to get canned...and that punt may have seriously hurt FU’s Playoff chances. With Sammy win, I calculate FU has to (win, of course, AND) hold Mercer to 16 or fewer. 1 more score by WCU would be VERY HELPFUL!

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:27 PM
WCU needs a new coach badly

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 05:27 PM
wofford pic! 1:02 to play.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 05:28 PM
...and that punt may have seriously hurt FU’s Playoff chances. With Sammy win, I calculate FU has to (win, of course, AND) hold Mercer to 16 or fewer. 1 more score by WCU would be VERY HELPFUL!welp 16 is gonna be the number...check my math. FUBEAR is quite computationaly challenged.

SCPALADIN
November 10th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Wofford wins.

....someone please lay out the playoff auto-bid situation. This conference is nuts.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
...and that punt may have seriously hurt FU’s Playoff chances. With Sammy win, I calculate FU has to (win, of course, AND) hold Mercer to 16 or fewer. 1 more score by WCU would be VERY HELPFUL!

Correct, Furman has 16 points to work with at Mercer next Saturday, that is doable the way Mercer has been doing offensively

Regardless, I think with a win at Mercer, Furman is in the playoffs with an at large xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 05:31 PM
WCU color guy needs to register on AGS, but I guess I shouldn’t expect Catamount peeps to know much about Playoffs. 1983 was a LONG time ago.

...too soon?

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Correct, Furman has 16 points to work with at Mercer next Saturday, that is doable the way Mercer has been doing offensively

Regardless, I think with a win at Mercer, Furman is in the playoffs with an at large xthumbsupxIf they tie in SoCon points surrendered, does it go back to head-to-head (as it should) or to coin flip or ‘Conference Office choice?”

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:38 PM
If they tie in SoCon points surrendered, does it go back to head-to-head (as it should) or to coin flip or ‘Conference Office choice?”

lol xdontknowx

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Man, I’m going to miss watching Tyrie Adams playing in the SoCon next year.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Hodges as well.

woffordgrad94
November 10th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Good riddance to Hodges :D

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Is Adams not coming back? He is a redshirt Junior

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Good riddance to Hodges :D

We were 3-1 against him.:D Sort of. He came in during the game in '15 when we were already ahead.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Is Adams not coming back? He is a redshirt JuniorInquiring minds want to know...

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Well speaking of QBs, get used to seeing Rainey for a couple more years. 206 yards today, 188 yards last week. Plus he was 5/7 for 88 yards and a TD throwing. Not too shabby. And that 206 came against a pretty stiff rush D today.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:22 PM
As I said in another thread: Samford (possibly) beating the top 3 teams in the Socon and losing to the middle tier 3 is extremely on brand for them.

So how many points does ETSU need to prevent Samford from scoring to win the autobid, in the event of a loss?

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:24 PM
As I said in another thread: Samford (possibly) beating the top 3 teams in the Socon and losing to the middle tier 3 is extremely on brand for them.

So how many points does ETSU need to prevent Samford from scoring to win the autobid, in the event of a loss?

-20:D

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM

ETSU is eliminated from the autobid with a loss

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:41 PM
ETSU is eliminated from the autobid with a loss

No they aren't.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:42 PM
No they aren't.

Yes they are, if they lose there is no way they win the Autobid

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:44 PM
They either lose to Wofford in a head to head 2 way tie

Or they lose to either Furman or Wofford on points in a 3 way tie

xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Furman is actually in great shape for an at-large even if we don't clinch the autobid

This is where I have the 24 team field right now

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Idaho St.
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
McNeese St.
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne

Should a team fall then winner of Montana vs. Montana St. is next team in

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM
They either lose to Wofford in a head to head 2 way tie

Or they lose to either Furman or Wofford on points in a 3 way tie

xthumbsupxThey can still get it with points, pending on how the games turn out Saturday

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:57 PM
They can still get it with points, pending on how the games turn out Saturday

How many points has ETSU given up? And how many has Wofford who is done given up?

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Nope, see other thread. ETSU already has more points than Wofford, who is done. ETSU can't hold Samford to negative points. They must win.

FUBeAR

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkCheck my math YT, but it would only go to point in the event of a 3-way...and they’ve already given up more points in their 7 conference games than Woffy did in 8...so the Bucs CAN’T win if it goes to points...no?

Reign of Terrier
Oh, I was going off what Cid said in another thread by -20

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:00 PM
ETSU has already given up 4 more points than wofford, etsu can't win on points with a loss

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Oh, I was going off what Cid said in another thread by -20

Sorry to have misled you. That was a joke. To be more precise ETSU needs like -5 points or something like that. In other words they can't win a tie breaker. Only Furman and Wofford can win a three way tie breaker. ETSU can put the whole thing to bed by beating Samford.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Nope, see other thread. ETSU already has more points than Wofford, who is done. ETSU can't hold Samford to negative points. They must win.

Lol negative points

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Lol negative points

Yeah, I should have clearer on that.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Lol negative points
Mercer almost was able to score negative points on O today. If we subtracted ‘style points,’ they would have...but they did come thru with 2 TD’s when it REALLY counted.

Last year, they ‘gave’ Samford 2 Safeties & only scored a FG...so that’s kinda negative points.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Mercer almost was able to score negative points on O today. If we subtracted ‘style points,’ they would have...but they did come thru with 2 TD’s when it REALLY counted.

Last year, they ‘gave’ Samford 2 Safeties & only scored a FG...so that’s kinda negative points.

I have to go look at the box score on Mercer/UTC. Weird game by the looks of it.

matfu
November 10th, 2018, 07:08 PM
If FU beats Mercer and Mercer scores 15 points or less and Sammy beats ETSU I think FU gets the automatic bid until someone convinces me otherwise.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 07:09 PM
If FU beats Mercer and Mercer scores 15 points or less and Sammy beats ETSU I think FU gets the automatic bid until someone convinces me otherwise.

You would be correct.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:12 PM
If FU beats Mercer and Mercer scores 15 points or less and Sammy beats ETSU I think FU gets the automatic bid until someone convinces me otherwise.What if FU wins & Mercer scores 16 - tied in points, right? Then what?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:13 PM
What if FU wins & Mercer scores 16 - tied in points, right? Then what?

ElCid says coin toss

ESPN is already bidding to air the toss live xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:20 PM
ElCid says coin toss

ESPN is already bidding to air the toss live xthumbsupxShould go back to Head-to-Head...not a freakin’ Coin toss...in Spartanburg. In that event, FU needs to hire some of the Election Lawyers that are camping out in GA & FL to oversee that process. Otherwise, they’ll be using a 2-headed coin with Uncle Jerry on 1 side & Coach Ayers on the other.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Should go back to Head-to-Head...not a freakin’ Coin toss...in Spartanburg. In that event, FU needs to hire some of the Election Lawyers that are camping out in GA & FL to oversee that process. Otherwise, they’ll be using a 2-headed coin with Uncle Jerry on 1 side & Coach Ayers on the other.

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Should go back to Head-to-Head...not a freakin’ Coin toss...in Spartanburg. In that event, FU needs to hire some of the Election Lawyers that are camping out in GA & FL to oversee that process. Otherwise, they’ll be using a 2-headed coin with Uncle Jerry on 1 side & Coach Ayers on the other.
The bottle of 2018 FU Whine has been opened before it's time.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I'm hearing from other people on twitter that the crown is rewarded to the team that gave up the least amount of points *to the other tying teams* as opposed to conference Points against.

Is that correct or do we have a historical counter example?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I'm hearing from other people on twitter that the crown is rewarded to the team that gave up the least amount of points *to the other tying teams* as opposed to conference Points against.

Is that correct or do we have a historical counter example?

ElCid got the info of total points in all conference games from the conference office in a reply

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 08:21 PM
ElCid got the info of total points in all conference games from the conference office in a reply

Correct, there is no doubt it is all conference games.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 08:48 PM
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibilities that Furman can hold Mercer to a low scoring game. The Paladins have given up 17 or fewer in 3 of the last 4.

walliver
November 11th, 2018, 07:58 AM
As much as I would like Wofford to claim a share of the Title, I have grave doubts about Samford beating ETSU. The Bama Pups folded in the 4th quarter yesterday.

Maybe the team will be all psyched up for Hodges’s last game (I haven’t looked forward to a graduation this much since Armani Edwards), but this years team has issues, and I think it very likely ETSU pulls out a 1 point for their first all-time SoCon championship.

As for the SoCon tiebreaker in a three way tie, the current policy was used in 2012, so there is a precedent. I remember adding up a bunch of numbers so I think it was all conference games. The 2013 three-way did not get down to points allowed, and the 1999 three-way was decided by different rules.