Oct:
13 @ Wofford
20 @ VMI
27 CSU

Nov:
3 Sav. State
10 @ Coastal Carolina
17 Liberty

G-W will try to pick up another home game.

TheBisonator
April 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Ohio and Appalachian?? Damn... GW will be lucky to escape September at 2-2.

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Ohio and Appalachian?? Damn... GW will be lucky to escape September at 2-2.

With J'Ville and Peay at home...I think G-Webb won't have problems there. They're going to have a tough time climbing out of the Big South cellar though...

Thumper250
April 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Since when is a tie for second place the Big South cellar? Well, there are only five teams, so everybody other than CCU is on the steps looking into the cellar. ;)

In all honesty, Gardner-Webb returns a strong contender in 2007. The only conference team to beat Liberty and their 15 FBS transfers in Lynchburg last year.

Granted, losing to Chuck South twice in two years is embarrasing, but G-W will be just fine.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think Gardner webb will be just fine probably going 7-4 or 6-5 ... they are better than most people think...

GOD DANG it was hot sitting in the sun leading up to the game there last year!

also why do your stands slant the wrong way... steep at the bottom and then get flatter at the top

Thumper250
April 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Built at different times I guess. It is strange.

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Since when is a tie for second place the Big South cellar? Well, there are only five teams, so everybody other than CCU is on the steps looking into the cellar. ;)

I'm predicting G-Webb fighting out of the cellar this year with VMI this year...was not saying they were in the cellar last year...

The Gadfly
April 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM

In all honesty, Gardner-Webb returns a strong contender in 2007. The only conference team to beat Liberty and their 15 FBS transfers in Lynchburg last year.

Granted, losing to Chuck South twice in two years is embarrasing, but G-W will be just fine.

xwhistlex Coastal did too

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

That says a lot right there...two Big South schools...

coastalalum
April 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM

he said in lynchburg....ccu won in conway.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
facts a little off xwhistlex

Coastal89
April 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I still don't understand why GW isn't playing Presby. All the other BS schools are. BTW, is this the year GW joins as an All Sport member?

SuperJon
April 2nd, 2007, 09:39 PM

Hmm, we had 15 transfers? I didn't know that.

Rashad Jennings (1)
Stevie Ray Lloyd (2)
Zach Davis (3)
Eddie Pinigis (4)
Stephen Sene (5)

That's five. Jennings had two carries due to injury, and Davis got beat out for his position so he didn't play.

You played against 3 transfers, one who didn't even play at his first school due to injury (Sene).

Find me 12 more and then you can make stupid comments like that.

For the record, we had two more this year, so it would be 7 total, although it's unlikely Davis wins a starting spot.

adrianb
April 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
BTW, is this the year GW joins as an All Sport member?

Yes

SuperJon
April 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I'm glad G-W is entering. My grandpa's an alum and it's fun to talk crap.

Thumper250
April 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
G-W's first year in is 2008-2009 for everything. Just enough time to get basketball back on track.

As for Presbyterian, I was told the other day by a staffer that the dates on PC's schedule didn't work out for a game with Gardner-Webb. G-W was the only Big South school to offer to play the Hose in Clinton this coming year (2007).

As for battling out of the cellar this year? I'm under the impression that, along with Liberty, G-W will be one of the league's favorites. More firepower returning than many of the other squads.

Thumper250
April 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
And from a fellow alum who attended a few spring scrimmages this year: Watch out for receiver Dobson Collins. Atlantic Sun Conference Frosh of the Year in track last year and apparently the best player on the field much of the time this past month.

I haven't seen him play much myself, but he seems like a burner when he catches it.

SoccerSmells
April 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I think Coastal wins the league this year again, despite all of their losses from 2006. :)

adrianb
April 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes

Oops, thanks Thumper for correcting me, I got my original info from Wikipedia.

Here is a full article (http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.asp?ID=5430)

justsaying
April 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Gardner-webb should win 7 or 8 games this year, I think they will beat Coastal, and if it comes down to Liberty for the championship, since it is their last game and it is at home, I would say GW will win at home also against them, they have big turnouts for big games..

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Rashad Jennings (1)
Stevie Ray Lloyd (2)
Zach Davis (3)
Eddie Pinigis (4)
Stephen Sene (5)

That's five. Jennings had two carries due to injury, and Davis got beat out for his position so he didn't play.

You played against 3 transfers, one who didn't even play at his first school due to injury (Sene).

For the record, we had two more this year, so it would be 7 total, although it's unlikely Davis wins a starting spot.
A little hostile are we? I know he made a wrong comment but damn...

ASU
April 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Always have had a lot of respect for Gardner-Webb....several friends
went there....I feel like they will battle for the Big South championship
this football season.

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
A little hostile are we? I know he made a wrong comment but damn...

Not hostile, just don't like people embellishing their stories by such a big margin. Had there been 3 on the field and he said 5-6, I would just correct him, but 15? That's 5 times as many transfers as was actually on the field.

SoCon48
April 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Rashad Jennings (1)
Stevie Ray Lloyd (2)
Zach Davis (3)
Eddie Pinigis (4)
Stephen Sene (5)

Before you call the guy stupid, add a few more transfers (10 total) to your list (not counting ones who played two full years at JC's,
According to the Liberty website, the following are transfers:

Sene
McWharter
Lloyd
Little
Davis
Duke (10 games)
Horn (all conf)
Hughes
Jennings
Pope

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Before you call the guy stupid, add a few more transfers (10 total) to your list (not counting ones who played two full years at JC's,

Sene
McWharter
Lloyd
Little
Davis
Duke (10 games)
Horn (all conf)
Hughes
Jennings
Pope
uh oh we have a little contradiction this could get ugly xrolleyesx

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
He said FBS transfers, not JuCo.

McWhorter: JuCo
Little: JuCo
Duke: been at LU since he started
Hughes: JuCo
Pope: didn't realize he came from FAU

JuCo transfers are a part of every school.

BestOfBreed
April 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
JuCo transfers are a part of every school.

Nope

Libertine
April 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Sene
McWharter
Lloyd
Little
Davis
Duke (10 games)
Horn (all conf)
Hughes
Jennings
Pope

Horn and Hughes were JuCo transfers. Neither played in the Gardner-Webb game due to injury.
McWhorter and Little were JuCo transfer walk-ons. They only saw the field on special teams if at all.
I will give you Pope. He transferred from FAU to be our long snapper. That's all he does.
Duke on that list is just plain wrong. He's been here all 5 years.

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM
So what you're telling me is there's at most 5 scholarship transfers of any kind on the field for that game, and three from FBS schools, right?

Still nowhere close to 15.

SoCon48
April 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Horn and Hughes were JuCo transfers. Neither played in the Gardner-Webb game due to injury.
McWhorter and Little were JuCo transfer walk-ons. They only saw the field on special teams if at all.
I will give you Pope. He transferred from FAU to be our long snapper. That's all he does.
Duke on that list is just plain wrong. He's been here all 5 years.

Can't read my own scribbling. Substitute Dickerson for Duke.

The Juco transfers, if i read the site correctly, though, they didn't finish at the the JC's, they transferred out.

SoCon48
April 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
So what you're telling me is there's at most 5 scholarship transfers of any kind on the field for that game, and three from FBS schools, right?

Still nowhere close to 15.

I didn't read you guys' initial argument, i was just commenting on the fact that Lib has more than 5 transfers.

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I forgot Dickerson transferred. Ok, we had six on the field. He's still got 9 to go before he gets to 15.

justsaying
April 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I think you have to count the JUCO transfers because, they had one or two full years in a colleges strength and conditioning program, and should be ready go come in and start right away... I agree 10 transfers..
And according to Liberty's website statistics, Hughes and Davis did play against gardner webb.

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not saying the transfers shouldn't count. He specifically said 15 FBS transfers, and that's what I was calling a stupid statement.

Davis is a backup. Hughes is as well and was probably getting time since Horn was hurt.

justsaying
April 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Transfers are transfers, I am not saying it is bad for a school to receive transfers to help their program, but I almost feel that Liberty fans are in denial that they are having any effect on their team, I'm justsaying I know you don't want to be known as transfer university, but it is what it is.

SoCon48
April 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I forgot Dickerson transferred. Ok, we had six on the field. He's still got 9 to go before he gets to 15.

hell, I don't know about "on the field" or against whom, just listing the ones from the Libby roster.

SuperJon
April 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I won't deny that transfers have helped us. Jason Horn was a huge impact on defense. Stevie Ray Lloyd and Vince Redd are going to be two cornerstones of our defense this year.

While Rashad Jennings was good last year, I feel that Zach Terrell was the better running back for us. Jennings made an impact and is good and has all the potential in the world, but Terrell was better last year.

They've effected the team. Some have brought leadership, some have brought talent. Our school has effected them as well (Vince Redd being the prime example) and our school has been a great fit for some of them (see Ausberry).

I'm not denying that they have an effect. I was pointing out we had nowhere near 15 FBS transfers. 15 transfers total is close, but that includes JuCo guys that have either walked on or have been recruited by the former coach.

Most of us expect a player or two from UVA to transfer over the summer. Coach Rocco recruited them to UVA and they enjoyed playing for him and they like him. Like I said in the transfer thread, when the players he recruited there graduate, the pipeline will likely dry up.

If JMU or W&M or Richmond were to get a new head coach who was a top assistant at UVA, they would get just as many transfers. We are an hour away from UVA and an hour an a half from VT. The guys from UVA who aren't happy there and come play for a coach that they respect and enjoy playing for and only be an hour from their friends/teammates at UVA. Most of the guy from the state of VA who went to VT (Lloyd and Hicks) were recruited by Rocco to UVA but chose VT for one reason or another. They had a previous relationship with Rocco before they got here (in Lloyd's case, he's from here).

They have an effect on the team, but if you look at it, in 2006, the biggest impacts came from people who were recruited to LU from high school (Terrell, Brock Smith, Wynton Jackson, Manny Rojas, Ryan Greiser, etc). The transfers brought the hype, but it was the other guys who had the most results.