PDA

View Full Version : Something i've been pondering.

Pageoner
April 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hi! to all.ive been lurking for about a year and a half.and finally decided to post. because this one question has come to my mind.

I'm not debating the passion of the fans, but do you guys feel as if your team is playing FCS as a big step up for your school.IE smaller schools with poor locations. or do you feel it as a cop out on your schools part to fully fund a BCS school?

i know UNH has success in the past few years.but if you look at their big athletics in general(minus hockey of course) it seems almost comical. Mainly seeing a majority of their scholarship mens BB players deciding to transfer.

so do you think FCS is the highest level of competition your university could field. Or if it is going the route of Duke and just having a team for the heck of it.and seeing what prospers.

not intended to be smack.just wanted to get honest opinions.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
I believe App could move up at all levels as a schools that has always done well in all sports and growing rapidly

crunifan
April 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
I don't quite get what you are saying, but I will take a stab.

I think UNI is FCS because financially we cannot support a larger program. UNI has around 12,000 students. We have a 16,000 seat domed stadium with no room for expansion. At the moment, we don't have enough money or fan support to be a competitive BCS team. But, we are extremely competitive at a FCS level.

Also, it is important to note that UNI is also extremely competitive in MANY other Division I sports. Our men's basketball team has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 times in the past 4 years. Our track team finished 8th in the nation. We have a consistent top 25 wrestling team. And our volleyball team consistently makes and performs well in the NCAA tournament.

FCS is a level of football for Division I schools that don't want to spend even more millions of dollars on a team that wouldn't be competetive on the BCS level.

PrinceofJSU
April 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Pageoner, I "lurk" too but never post! xlolx But to answer your question, I believe FCS in Jackson has been a huge step up. Although I think we should consider actually competing in the playoffs to fully benefit, FCS fits JSU just right. :D

Fresno St. Alum
April 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM
I think that App St., Ga Southern, Montana, Youngstown St. and others could field FBS teams but want to be FCS. While Butler, Drake, LaSalle and others have teams to give students that may not have had a chance to play except at the D-III level a chance in D-I.

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Presumably the original post was intended for the foreign-language AGS but inadvertently wound up here.

proasu89
April 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
xrotatehx
I believe App could move up at all levels as a schools that has always done well in all sports and growing rapidly
I understood the original post. This is the one that I don't understand. Appfan, what do you mean by move up at all levels? We're DI in every sport.

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
xrotatehx
I understood the original post. This is the one that I don't understand. Appfan, what do you mean by move up at all levels? We're DI in every sport.
Yeah, I thought that was a weird response too.

Towson competes at the highest level in all sports other than football. Some programs, lacrosse, volleyball, and gymnastics have regular success against "big time" BCS schools. However, the football team doesn't have the local following nor the school have the financial funding to even think of a move up to FBS football.

And then you could get into conference affiliation problems.

OL FU
April 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Pageoner, a little confusing but welcome aboardxnodx

I like the fact that Furman competes at the top of the level it has chosen to compete in. Many years we have a chance at the national championship in FCS football. We could not have that at the FBS level.

lucchesicourt
April 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
As for UC Davis, I am not sure the FCS is a good fit for our football program. The GWFC does not look to be a conference for long and, if it does survive, it will have only 5 members, there will be no autobid for years, and it would be difficult to make a football schedule without a fair number of guaranteed conference games, which doesn't look likely to happen.
I think UC Davis could easily fund a BCS team, but facilities would need to be built to support such a team. UCD is one of the largest UC's, right there with Berkeley and UCLA. We just lack the facilities that they have.
We have a new stadium that is planned to be expanded in two additional phases as funding becomes available.
Funding for these facilities would be the largest problem for UCD to overcome. The additional schollies would be a minor investment from the increase of student fees (probably less than $25/year/ student).

AppGuy04
April 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I don't think anyone actually realizes how much of a financial burden FBS football is. Another example is DII Grand Valley St. They could compete with the top 25 FCS teams but financially, they can not support an FCS team, thus they stay DII and dominate year in year out

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
xrotatehx
I am not an idiot and am well aware that we are at the highest level in all sports... what I am refering to is that I believe we could support moving up to a higher level conference in all sports... I dont know what that would be but maybe cusa or mac just as examples...

Pageoner
April 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
yeah sorry for the muddled language.
i guess i was just saying since most of you guys seem totally passionate about your schools and teams.but some of the schools themselves who could financially field an FBS team chose not to.not out of the shear factor they love FCS.but the fact the university doesnt care if their school competes at the top level.
looking forward to posting around here though.

TheBisonator
April 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
As for being the land-grant institution of the State of North Dakota and being (beginning next year) the largest university in the state, and being in a metro area of over 210,000 people and growing, I think that FCS is fine for NDSU right now, but that may change in the next 20 years or so. We have a stadium that would be questionable for FBS in terms of capacity (only 19,000), and our university has only about 13,000 students. But if we can raise our enrollment to past 15,000 and maybe build a new outdoor stadium, then I think it would happen.

In the present time, FCS is a good fit for us.

rufus
April 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
I think that JMU could probably support a FBS football program, but I think we'll only move to FBS when our administration believes there is a viable FBS conference possibility. With plans to expand our stadium to 25-30k over the next two years and long-term plans for an expansion to 50k as needed, I think it's safe to say the university is positioning itself for a move at some point in the future.

With over 17,000 students and a projected enrollement of over 25,000 students by the year 2020, I think it makes sense to at least consider our options. We're already spending more on football than any other FCS school, with an annual football budget of $4.2 million. That's more than most schools in the MAC, WAC, or Sun Belt are spending.

I don't think an eventual move to FBS is a sure thing, but I think it's a strong possibility.

Cobblestone
April 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Pageoner,

I understood you the first time. In my school's case I couldn't see us going FBS, the support just isn't there. We have enough room on our campus to build an FBS sized stadium but ours is a basketball school and little attention is given to football. Plus New England is not exactly a hotbed for college football anyway. For years BC was the only FBS team in the region, now UCONN makes two. Big deal, two schools in a 6 state region playing FBS football is laughable at best.

With the level of high school hockey talent in R.I. we don't even have a D-I hockey team at URI. Our club team is the defending national champions of club hockey, they play in a beautiful (although small) new ice arena on campus yet there is no talk of stepping up to D-I level. Everything as far as URI sports are concerned is basketball. Couple that with the expense involved of going to FBS (bigger stadium, higher coaching salaries and more scholarships) and as I previously mentioned, little to no support and we'll be playing FCS for the life of the program; this BTW, is not a bad thing.

UNHWILDCATS05
April 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
i know UNH has success in the past few years.but if you look at their big athletics in general(minus hockey of course) it seems almost comical. Mainly seeing a majority of their scholarship mens BB players deciding to transfer.

I fully agree that UNH men's bball is going through a period of change which will hopefully lead to them being a contender in America East (hardly a joke now though - going to conference semifinals last year and quarterfinals this year with a brand new coach), but I am really curious as to why you feel that UNH athletics in general is "comical"???

Pageoner
April 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
i'm not saying its "comical"
but it would be nice to see the same support given to hockey
to other sports as well.

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
i'm not saying its "comical"
but it would be nice to see the same support given to hockey
to other sports as well.
Yeah, but I think thats the case in most schools. Other than football, basketball and for a few schools hockey, baseball and lacrosse, the other sports are poorly attended. Barring national recognition, non-"big money" sports are supported by friends and family of the players and alumni of that particular sport. The fan support of those sports IS comical. But I think thats a universal regardless of football classifcation

Pageoner
April 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
ehhh i guess i wasnt really talking about those type of sports.field hockey and what not.
i guess maybe more so UNH basketball.and not the skill.but the funding of UNH football.
especially when all the UNH apparell is no name garbage.that looks like it would fall apart after a few washes.especially the ball and santos jerseys.that were charging 50 bucks for.but looked like practice pennies. but with hockey you can get Nike jersey and hats.kind of odd.

sorry to sound rude.dont mean for it to come across that way.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but I think thats the case in most schools. Other than football, basketball and for a few schools hockey, baseball and lacrosse, the other sports are poorly attended. Barring national recognition, non-"big money" sports are supported by friends and family of the players and alumni of that particular sport. The fan support of those sports IS comical. But I think thats a universal regardless of football classifcation
I agree other than football and occasionally basketball this university really doesnt come out to the other sports... my honey and i were watching the softball players leave the stadium after a game the other day and they were all walking away with their parents and only their parents... no fans whatsoever. she said it reminded her of high school and got a laugh out of that because it is like high school... it is comical

CopperCat
April 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox
I am a little confused what is so funny about that?

Everything I said is the truth!

The school is growing... we are building new facilities as I speak... we have dominated the southern conference in the overall standings for more than 20 years... why couldnt we move to a bigger and better conference???

CopperCat
April 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I am a little confused what is so funny about that?

Everything I said is the truth!

The school is growing... we are building new facilities as I speak... we have dominated the southern conference in the overall standings for more than 20 years... why couldnt we move to a bigger and better conference???

Truth eh? In this case, I would say that truth is a subjective thing. But I digress. Let me hold my side a little more. It hurts from laughing so much.xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

JALMOND
April 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hi! to all.ive been lurking for about a year and a half.and finally decided to post. because this one question has come to my mind.

I'm not debating the passion of the fans, but do you guys feel as if your team is playing FCS as a big step up for your school.IE smaller schools with poor locations. or do you feel it as a cop out on your schools part to fully fund a BCS school?

so do you think FCS is the highest level of competition your university could field. Or if it is going the route of Duke and just having a team for the heck of it.and seeing what prospers.

Being the largest state university enrollmentwise in Oregon (yes, even bigger than Oregon and Oregon State), there are always those who want Portland State to move on. Originally, our move to the Big Sky and FCS (I-AA at the time), was seen by most as a stepping stone to the "big time" and the WAC. Our success in DII gave most of our fans a "delusion of grandeur" in that it was assumed that, after a few years of dominating the Big Sky, we would move on. That assumption, of course, has been proven wrong and the Big Sky is a much tougher conference. Now its been 10 years and much of that talk has quieted down, although it does gain some momentum at the end of the football season. However, our facilities have not improved to a FBS level and no one is really stepping up to the plate. I honestly do not see us leaving the Big Sky for FBS any time soon, unless the conference as a whole goes FBS.

PSUVikings
April 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Being the largest state university enrollmentwise in Oregon (yes, even bigger than Oregon and Oregon State), there are always those who want Portland State to move on. Originally, our move to the Big Sky and FCS (I-AA at the time), was seen by most as a stepping stone to the "big time" and the WAC. Our success in DII gave most of our fans a "delusion of grandeur" in that it was assumed that, after a few years of dominating the Big Sky, we would move on. That assumption, of course, has been proven wrong and the Big Sky is a much tougher conference. Now its been 10 years and much of that talk has quieted down, although it does gain some momentum at the end of the football season. However, our facilities have not improved to a FBS level and no one is really stepping up to the plate. I honestly do not see us leaving the Big Sky for FBS any time soon, unless the conference as a whole goes FBS.

Well said JALMOND, Also personally I'm not in a hurry to leave the BSC anyway

lucchesicourt
April 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
It seems people seem to think only FBS football is profitable and then say what a financial burden it is in the same sentence. FBS football has BIG TIME money if you can win, FCS football has little to none even if you win. The key to making money at the FBS level is winning, getting facilities, and having a good draw. UCD has 30,000 plus students, near Sacramento (a population of greater than 400,000), and in need of FBS facilities if they choose to go that direction (need to complete the build out of the new stadium if that is where we are heading). I am pretty sure UCD is the largest FCS institution, and has miore resources than most other FCS universities.

LetsGoNova
April 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
lucchesi, I am from Sacramento, and my sister is an Aggie twice over (undergrad and law school). When I graduated from high school (96), I saw UCD as a decent local option not much better than Sac State, but I have been very impressed by the strides they have made in the past decade. FBS football is a huge undertaking, and I'm not sure it's one that Davis is ready to undertake for some time. While Davis is the size of Berkeley or UCLA, it has nowhere near their endowments or traditions. I am still under the impression that Davis has huge capital projects to undertake (renovate/construct dorms, renovate some of the older academic buildings), before any thought will be given to more athletics programs, especially since the new football field is just opening this week.
It will be interesting to watch what happens.

proasu89
April 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
I am not an idiot and am well aware that we are at the highest level in all sports... what I am refering to is that I believe we could support moving up to a higher level conference in all sports... I dont know what that would be but maybe cusa or mac just as examples...
Sorry for the inference. Just didn't understand where you were going w/ your postxpeacex

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Most fans are totally ignorant of the financial aspects of collegiate athletics. I'm no expert myself. But mid-major FBS is NOT a money-maker, even for successful (insofar as a mid-major FBS team can be successful) programs. Marshall has had a lot of problems, for one. MTSU, Troy, etc. have not benefited from a financial standpoint. Obviously there are windfalls for BCS conferences... but no current FCS team has any chance of being in a BCS conference anytime soon, or ever.

Keep in mind, the people on top always want to stay on top. So the big-time programs, who run the NCAA, are not going to allow parity at the FBS level. Aside from that, many fans have totally irrational views of what their university is actually capable of. Student enrollment is irrelevant. Tulsa is a solid mid-major FBS program and is the size of Furman. The only thing that matters is money and most people have it backwards; programs need financial resources to go FBS, they do not go FBS and then make lots of money.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Most fans are totally ignorant of the financial aspects of collegiate athletics. I'm no expert myself. But mid-major FBS is NOT a money-maker, even for successful (insofar as a mid-major FBS team can be successful) programs. Marshall has had a lot of problems, for one. MTSU, Troy, etc. have not benefited from a financial standpoint. Obviously there are windfalls for BCS conferences... but no current FCS team has any chance of being in a BCS conference anytime soon, or ever.

Keep in mind, the people on top always want to stay on top. So the big-time programs, who run the NCAA, are not going to allow parity at the FBS level. Aside from that, many fans have totally irrational views of what their university is actually capable of. Student enrollment is irrelevant. Tulsa is a solid mid-major FBS program and is the size of Furman. The only thing that matters is money and most people have it backwards; programs need financial resources to go FBS, they do not go FBS and then make lots of money.
Screw Tulsa... If you want to make your point... use Wake Forest with less than 5,000 students it has the least enrollment of any fbs school and look what they did last year going to the orange bowl

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the inference. Just didn't understand where you were going w/ your postxpeacex
Hope you got it know and it makes since... GO APP xpeacex xnodx

LetsGoNova
April 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
no current FCS team has any chance of being in a BCS conference anytime soon, or ever.

You are absolutely correct with most of your points, and this one is a huge thing to keep in mind. If you can't get into a BCS league (i.e. where the real TV and bowl money is), going FBS isn't going to lead to more $$$.

BTW, Villanova (and I guess G'town, though they're a weaker FCS program) is probably the only FCS school with basically a standing invite to a BCS conference. Too bad we'll never accept it. xbangx xbangx xbangx

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Screw Tulsa... If you want to make your point... use Wake Forest with less than 5,000 students it has the least enrollment of any fbs school and look what they did last year going to the orange bowl

Not really. Wake has 4300 and Tulsa has 2800. I made the correct comparison.

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
You are absolutely correct with most of your points, and this one is a huge thing to keep in mind. If you can't get into a BCS league (i.e. where the real TV and bowl money is), going FBS isn't going to lead to more $$$.

BTW, Villanova (and I guess G'town, though they're a weaker FCS program) is probably the only FCS school with basically a standing invite to a BCS conference. Too bad we'll never accept it. xbangx xbangx xbangx

I'm not sure about those standing invites. UConn had one but it was a special clause from what I understood, not a standard policy. Villanova could have one also, but I doubt G'town does.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Not really. Wake has 4300 and Tulsa has 2800. I made the correct comparison.
My bad I thought wake was lowest but I am just saying wake was actually good last year

youwouldno
April 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
My bad I thought wake was lowest but I am just saying wake was actually good last year

I know. But comparing Furman to Wake is like comparing App St to NC State, not a realistic comparison. Furman to Tulsa, App St to ECU are more realistic, though obviously counterfactual, comparisons.

Golden Eagle
April 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Tennessee Tech couldn't survive a move up. I'm not talking about "survive" as in "move up and be a bottomfeeder forever", I'm talking about "perhaps never win a game ever again".

LetsGoNova
April 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure about those standing invites. UConn had one but it was a special clause from what I understood, not a standard policy. Villanova could have one also, but I doubt G'town does.

Oh, I don't think it's anything official, but it's no secret that the Big East football conference would like to add another school, and organic growth would be easiest. If VU wanted to go FBS, the Big East would embrace a ninth team with open arms. It would probably keep the league together in the long term.

G'town is a weak program even for the Patriot League, but if some alum hypothetically dropped $100MM on the program and they wanted to go FBS, they'd receive the same warm reception.

UNHWILDCATS05
April 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
especially when all the UNH apparell is no name garbage.that looks like it would fall apart after a few washes.especially the ball and santos jerseys.that were charging 50 bucks for.but looked like practice pennies. but with hockey you can get Nike jersey and hats.kind of odd.

As mentioned in another post...it seems that all of UNH athletics will be upgrading their equipment... (http://www.unhwildcats.com/index.cfm?id=CA3EDF91-9FA6-204F-EC218BE338622C03&pid=9E64EF90-DC86-8212-EE240AD04B9F58A2&archive=0)

Yes, funding is often an issue, but there aren't many schools that don't have these issues and I think UNH does pretty well considering the extremely low financial support they get from the state (one of the lowest in the country)... they are almost always competitive in each sport they participate in are often competing at the national level... that's all you can really ask for in my book...

ngineer
April 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Lehigh is D-I in all sports. The Patriot League's approach to football is clearly not to be in the BCS arena and all the problems that go with trying to play at that level. It's a matter of priority for spending you money.

Pageoner
April 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
thanks for the link.didnt realize that.
hopefully then can put out some quality merchandise for the fans.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I think the patriot schools are right at the level that they belong at

AppMan
April 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Truth eh? In this case, I would say that truth is a subjective thing. But I digress. Let me hold my side a little more. It hurts from laughing so much.xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Let's see... Football wins its second straight National Championship, Men's Basketball sets a school record for wins, logs wins against teams from the ACC, SEC, CUSA, and Missouri Valley, just missed out on the NCAA and is chosen for the NIT, Baesball is currently tied for 1st place in the conference, track is always is at the top of the league, golf & tennis doing well, and soccer has its best season in years. As of right now ASU could pull every team off the field for the rest of the year and still win the Comissioner's Cup by a wide margin. Our ladies programs are also leading the way for the German Cup. Facility wise ASU is putting the finishing touches on a new 2000 seat baseball stadium complete with a state of the art Field Turf surface, the old baseball facility has been transformed into one of the top softball facilities in the Southeast, the 7 year old 8500 seat Holmes Center is as good as it gets for basketball & volleyball, a new 80 yard X 60 yard indoor practice facility is curently under construction, and of course we are in the process of building an incredible six story athletic center that contains an 8,000 sq ft weight room, state of the art training facility with hydro therapy stations, a first class locker room, 18 luxury boxes & a Presidents Box, athletic scholarship club room with club level seating, new restrooms, concession stands, and a state of the art press facility. On the East side of Kidd Brewer Stadium approximately 5000 additional seats will be installed - possibly by next season. So..... yep, I'd say things are looking up at ASU! BTW, you may be laughing, but the joke is on you!

GeauxColonels
April 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
For Nicholls State, the answer is easy: FCS is the best fit for the school. There is no way the enrollment, academic/athletic budgets and fan support could validate anything more. The athletic department is already one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) funded programs in the Southland Conference and, sadly, several of the sports teams have not been very competitive for several years.

However, I have noticed improvements in funding - and subsequently spending - and fan support for the Colonel football team over recent years which can hopefully translate to more conference titles and playoff appearances.

For a school of only about 7,000 students, FCS is right.

rufus
April 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
When talking about whether a school belongs in FBS, FCS, DII, etc, people never put enough emphasis on the financial aspect. There's no doubt that on-field success and attendance are important, but when thinking about whether your school can afford FBS you have to ask whether they're willing and able to spend the money. The average FCS budget is $2.0 million, while the average non-BCS FBS (MAC, WAC, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt) budget is $5.2 million. To put it another way, there isn't a single school in FCS that spends the $5.2 million average.

Sure you could go FBS with a smaller budget, but you may want to look at past results before making that jump. The schools with the three smallest football budgets in FBS are UL Monroe, UL Lafayette, and Idaho. That's not company I would want to keep.

Bobcat in NC
April 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Let's see... Football wins its second straight National Championship, Men's Basketball sets a school record for wins, logs wins against teams from the ACC, SEC, CUSA, and Missouri Valley, just missed out on the NCAA and is chosen for the NIT, Baesball is currently tied for 1st place in the conference, track is always is at the top of the league, golf & tennis doing well, and soccer has its best season in years. As of right now ASU could pull every team off the field for the rest of the year and still win the Comissioner's Cup by a wide margin. Our ladies programs are also leading the way for the German Cup. Facility wise ASU is putting the finishing touches on a new 2000 seat baseball stadium complete with a state of the art Field Turf surface, the old baseball facility has been transformed into one of the top softball facilities in the Southeast, the 7 year old 8500 seat Holmes Center is as good as it gets for basketball & volleyball, a new 80 yard X 60 yard indoor practice facility is curently under construction, and of course we are in the process of building an incredible six story athletic center that contains an 8,000 sq ft weight room, state of the art training facility with hydro therapy stations, a first class locker room, 18 luxury boxes & a Presidents Box, athletic scholarship club room with club level seating, new restrooms, concession stands, and a state of the art press facility. On the East side of Kidd Brewer Stadium approximately 5000 additional seats will be installed - possibly by next season. So..... yep, I'd say things are looking up at ASU! BTW, you may be laughing, but the joke is on you!

Source? This is the first I've heard of 5,000 additional seats. I know that they eventually want the visitor side of the stadium to look like the home side but, last I heard, the only planned seating additions are the 1,000 club-level seats (and even those may not be completed until the 2008 season). Don't get me wrong, I agree that things are really motoring along in Boone, I just think that 5,000 additional seats by 2008 is a wild exaggeration.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Thank you for the backup FTG just doesnt get how well round our program is. Winning the commissioners cup and german cup nearly every single year is amazing... We are not just a football school... we excell at every sport and FTG cant understand that than that is his problem... we are the class of the Socon as far as overall sports and there is no debate on that...
xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Source? This is the first I've heard of 5,000 additional seats. I know that they eventually want the visitor side of the stadium to look like the home side but, last I heard, the only planned seating additions are the 1,000 club-level seats (and even those may not be completed until the 2008 season). Don't get me wrong, I agree that things are really motoring along in Boone, I just think that 5,000 additional seats by 2008 is a wild exaggeration.
I would agree with that... I would rather wait on the expansion of the east side so that we can find a place to put that track so we can move the field closer to the west and then move the east stands over... but if we go ahead and expand then we cant do that...

youwouldno
April 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Not really. There are a number of sports in which App St is not too great. Normally horrible in baseball, inconsistent in basketball (some big years but also numerous down years), definitely not at the top in tennis, golf, women's bball, and other non-revenue sports.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
wait a minute... lets look at the overall picture... our sports consistently win the two cups that represent overall first place in all mens and then all womens sports... that sounds like consistency to me... yes we have some SOME sports that do well but overall in the socon we dominate some as well!

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM

We are said to be adding temp searts for the '07 season.
But of course if you haven't heard it, it couldn't possibly be true.xrolleyesx

youwouldno
April 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
wait a minute... lets look at the overall picture... our sports consistently win the two cups that represent overall first place in all mens and then all womens sports... that sounds like consistency to me... yes we have some SOME sports that do well but overall in the socon we dominate some as well!

I would like to see some stats on the cup wins. I don't think App St is even close to being tops in terms of all-sports awards.

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Dude, we have won it for men's and women's for like the past 18 out of 20 years. Presently leading for men's by 12 points for this year's.

2006-07 Cup Standings (through the winter championships)

Commissioner’s Cup Standings

Commissioner's Cup

(Men’s)

1. Appalachian State 59
2. UNC Greensboro 47
3. Davidson 41
4. Chattanooga 39
5. Furman 36
6. The Citadel 29
7. Western Carolina 24
T8. College of Charleston 21
T8. Georgia Southern 21
10. Elon 20
11. Wofford 18
12. VMI (wrestling) 9

Germann Cup Standings
Gernann Cup

(Women’s)
1. Appalachian State 41.5
2. Chattanooga 41
3. Davidson 39
4. Western Carolina 37.5
5. Furman 34
6. College of Charleston 33.5
7. UNC Greensboro 32
8. Georgia Southern 26.5
9. Elon 25
T10. The Citadel 12
T10. Wofford 12

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
I would like to see some stats on the cup wins. I don't think App St is even close to being tops in terms of all-sports awards.

I really don't think SoCon sports is your forte.

It's like 25 out of the past 28 years.

PAST CHAMPIONS

1977-78 Appalachian State

1978-79 Appalachian State

1979-80 Appalachian State

1980-81 Appalachian State

1981-82 Appalachian State

1982-83 East Tennessee State

1983-84 Appalachian State

1984-85 Appalachian State

1985-86 Appalachian State

1986-87 Appalachian State

1987-88 Appalachian State

1988-89 Appalachian State

1989-90 Appalachian State

1990-91 Furman

1991-92 Appalachian State

1992-93 Appalachian State

1993-94 Appalachian State

1994-95 Appalachian State

1995-96 Appalachian State

1996-97 Appalachian State

1997-98 Appalachian State

1998-99 Appalachian State

1999-00 Appalachian State

2000-01 Appalachian State

2001-02 Appalachian State

2002-03 Appalachian State

2003-04 Appalachian State

2004-05 Chattanooga

2005-06 Appalachian State

youwouldno
April 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Dang. My bad. Are all the sports weighted equally?

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Dang. My bad. Are all the sports weighted equally?
wow i knew it was impressive but that is silly good... that only increases my opinion on the matter that we could move up to a better conference for all sports!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Bobcat in NC
April 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
We are said to be adding temp searts for the '07 season.
But of course if you haven't heard it, it couldn't possibly be true.xrolleyesx

I absolutely hate it when people do this, but I'm going to break my own rule. Let's just say that I brought up the 5k seat question this morning to someone who would definitely know of any plans like that and he had heard nothing of the sort. Temporary seats are one thing, adding 5,000 seats to the east side of Kidd Brewer is another thing entirely. Did I mention temporary seating anywhere in my post?

xeyebrowx

Bobcat in NC
April 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Anyway, back to the recent direction of this thread, I'm completely blown-away at that listing of all-sports championships. Very, very impressive. xthumbsupx

OldAggieAlum
April 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
UC Davis is right where it belongs for now. It outgrew Div. II long ago, but doesn't have the facilities for FBS, and is just finishing the transition to FCS. Time is needed to finish adjusting to the current move.

However, I expect the move up will occur in 5-10 years. The FCS conference situation does not look promising. The school is continuing to grow rapidly (With 5,300 acres there's lots of room to grow and ongoing pressure to take on more students.). If the need is demonstrated by fans filling the new stadium and sponsorship money becoming available, plans already exist for expansion to 30,000 seat capacity. It is only a matter of time before the situation will dictate a move upward.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I absolutely hate it when people do this, but I'm going to break my own rule. Let's just say that I brought up the 5k seat question this morning to someone who would definitely know of any plans like that and he had heard nothing of the sort. Temporary seats are one thing, adding 5,000 seats to the east side of Kidd Brewer is another thing entirely. Did I mention temporary seating anywhere in my post?

xeyebrowx
I do not know what he is talking about either... as someone who I believe is in the know and walks by KBS on a daily basis... I really dont think we are adding 5k anytime soon... after about 3-5 years would be my best guess before we add that or even more to our stadium... but I do know of the temporary seats and that is for certain at this point just like you thought Bobcat

lucchesicourt
April 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I am sure the budget at the FBS levels include tuition for schollies. So, when you include tuition (for schollies) in the athletic budget, some schools charge huge amounts for tuition, like Stanford U, which is over $30,000/year while UCD is under $8,000/year means Stanford's schollie part of the budget would be over $2,550,000 while UCD for the same number of schollies would be less than $680,000. So, Stanford's budget would be, for schollies alone, about 2 million dollars higher than UCD's just because of tuition. So, if UCD would just raise tuition would that mean our bigger budget would help us compete- I think not.
A better way to look at how much more FBS costs are compared to FCS, would be to remove schollie dollars from the budget, and see what is actually spent on things like, coaches, facilities, equipment, etc.
Also, since UCD is part of the same system as Berkeley and UCLA, and has to get money from the same people (the students-who already have funded the new football stadium, the regents, and alumni), in order build facilities
and expand programs, I see no reason why UCD cannot grow in 5 years to the FBS level, especially since FCS does not seem to be a good fit right now.
Being D2 or FCS seem about the same as far as finding an established conference in which to compete. The left coast only seems to have an FBS option at this time.

Bobcat in NC
April 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I do not know what he is talking about either... as someone who I believe is in the know and walks by KBS on a daily basis... I really dont think we are adding 5k anytime soon... after about 3-5 years would be my best guess before we add that or even more to our stadium... but I do know of the temporary seats and that is for certain at this point just like you thought Bobcat

The way the school and the program are growing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an addition in excess of 5k (maybe up to 25k total?) started in that 3-5 year range, of course assuming that the Mountaineers don't move up. God knows I've been to a couple of games already where App could have had almost 25k butts in the seats (as opposed to rolling down the hill, standing under the scoreboard and hanging from the trees). For any of you who haven't experienced it, being in a stadium at 140% of capacity is a trip. I highly recommend it.

SoCon48
April 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM

That number was thrown out during the winter by the admin. At this point, I don't see any signs of it, though and it wasn't mentioned at last night's Yosef rally in Charlotte.

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM
The way the school and the program are growing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an addition in excess of 5k (maybe up to 25k total?) started in that 3-5 year range, of course assuming that the Mountaineers don't move up. God knows I've been to a couple of games already where App could have had almost 25k butts in the seats (as opposed to rolling down the hill, standing under the scoreboard and hanging from the trees). For any of you who haven't experienced it, being in a stadium at 140% of capacity is a trip. I highly recommend it.
I know it is truly an amazing feeling and I am just getting goose bumps now thinking about how it was at homecoming last when we were actually at 160% of capacity for the all time record:D :D :D hey bobcat... could you imagine with me for just one second, what would happen if we played uni for homecoming? on a pretty day? asu undefeated? uni top 5 or so? OH MY GOD! It could get ridiculous... can you say 200% and double capacity? that would be insane if it all happened

and by the way even though i dont agree with it i do think we will probably move up in the 5-10 range once we get our seating to around 25k

NSUDemon98
April 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Northwestern St has always competed well against I-A competition[beat TCU, beat UL-L twice, beat UL-M twice, went OT with Tulane, etc] and could compete with a full I-A schedule if it were in the SunBelt or one of the other lower conferences. Same thing can be said for McNeese, too.

However the big thing is money and support and location for Northwestern St.

We are middle of the pack as far as budget goes in the SLC. We haven't averaged very well in the attendence category the past few years, but who's to say it wouldn't spike up if we played home games against UL-L, UL-M or LaTech. We always have a good crowd for McNeese.

Location. Louisiana, what more can I say. If it ain't LSU people don't give a *****. LaTech, UL-L and UL-M struggle to get 16,000 to their games...of course I am of the opinion that if ULM, ULM and LaTech were ALL in the same conference they would have better attendence.

Pageoner
April 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
hey you guys did knock off Iowa right? in the mens NCAA tourney last year...

youwouldno
April 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
One thing many FBS wannabes forget is that, to be successful as an FBS mid-major, you need to draw well even in losing seasons (though obviously winning will always bring more people in). Look at GSU's attendance drop last season. App St certainly drew less fans prior to their recent run. Oftentimes, FBS programs suffer shortfalls that have to be covered by boosters (i.e. every time Marshall or Troy goes to a bowl game, since they can't sell their allotment of tickets). However, App St has not brought in a lot of booster money at this point and a move to mid-major FBS would not mean an automatic surge.

Though many GSU fans are of the fair weather variety, their boosters are probably closest to being 'FBS-ready' of FCS programs.

NSUDemon98
April 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM
hey you guys did knock off Iowa right? in the mens NCAA tourney last year...

Yeah...

appfan2008
April 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah...
unfortunately i believe this thread was about football... actually that maybe my bad

NSUDemon98
April 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
unfortunately i believe this thread was about football... actually that maybe my bad

You're right, but there is nothing wrong with answering his question...

Keeping it in football, we did beat TCU in 2001...

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM
that is pretty good... isnt that about the time that tomlinson was there?

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
So do you think FCS is the highest level of competition your university could field. Or if it is going the route of Duke and just having a team for the heck of it.and seeing what prospers.

Among all I-AA schools, Georgetown and Villanova could pursue Big East-level football if it had the institutional commitment and financial support to do so. Neither does at this time.

appfan2008
April 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Among all I-AA schools, Georgetown and Villanova could pursue Big East-level football if it had the institutional commitment and financial support to do so. Neither does at this time.
I have always wonderded why they havent... they should IMO