PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Spring game

Coastal89
March 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ugly

The Teal squad scored 15 fourth-quarter points, including a two-point conversion with 31 seconds to play, to come from behind for a 15-14 win in Coastal's annual spring football game
Box Score
http://www.goccusports.com/football/2007stats/SPRING07.HTM

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 08:33 PM
that sounds extremely exciting... how many people showed up?

zilla
March 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'd say more than 1,000 CCU fans showed up to Brooks Stadium today.

As for the game, yeah, it was ugly at times (most Spring Games are). We've gotta find someone to replace All-American QB Tyler Thigpen. Look out for true frosh Jamie Childers. He looked pretty good today. His first pass attempt this afternoon was a 75-yard TD to Jerome Simpson. He has all the skills to operate our offense (strong arm & mobile).

We have a good core of skill people coming back at RB/WR. We should be fine there.

We do have to replace 4 of 5 starters on the O-line (cause for concern).

Defensively, I thought we played decent. We have some speed on that side of the ball. There were some big hits today! IMO, we have a chance to be better on defense in 2007.

The Chants will be OK this year. We won't regress too much, even though we lost 30+ seniors from last year. We may not be a playoff-caliber team this season, but we will be competitive. Only time will tell....

rokamortis
March 31st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Defensively, I thought we played decent. We have some speed on that side of the ball. There were some big hits today! IMO, we have a chance to be better on defense in 2007.

We need to be better on defense as I don't think we'll be quite as good on offense as last year. Do you think our defensive speed has increased over last years team? Is it enough to compete with the extremely fast offenses of the top FCS teams?

bobbythekidd
March 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM
We need to be better on defense as I don't think we'll be quite as good on offense as last year. Do you think our defensive speed has increased over last years team? Is it enough to compete with the extremely fast offenses of the top FCS teams?
You need to worry about replacing Thigpin. Is the Freshman capable?

rokamortis
March 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM
You need to worry about replacing Thigpin. Is the Freshman capable?

too early to tell at this point. I think we have two pretty good true QBs, but I don't know if they'll be as productive as thig was last year. neither have started in college yet.

But I'm not so worried about replacing Thigpen as I am with making sure we have a better defense and a solid o-line. The positions I'm not worrying about are WR and RB/FB.

rokamortis
March 31st, 2007, 10:37 PM
Video from game thanks to WPDE.com

mms://206.139.32.70/wpde/news/~ccuteal.wmv

Coastal89
March 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
mms://206.139.32.70/wpde/news/~ccuteal.wmv

zilla
March 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM

From what I saw today, I'd say our overall defensive speed has improved. I don't know if it's where it needs to be to compete with the top FCS teams, but it's better than '06.

I may be in the minority among CCU fans, but I truly believe we'll be better defensively this season.

rokamortis
March 31st, 2007, 11:16 PM
From what I saw today, I'd say our overall defensive speed has improved. I don't know if it's where it needs to be to compete with the top FCS teams, but it's better than '06.

I may be in the minority among CCU fans, but I truly believe we'll be better defensively this season.

I honestly ahve no idea what to expect - but I do hope we are improved. I know we bring back some good players.

Dabnus Brickey
April 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM
Learn the name Jamie Childers

Defense is much improved by the way.

MarkCCU
April 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
We'll be a good team this year but it is too early to tell. Let the boys get some pratice games under their belts and we'll see in the summer.

The Gadfly
April 2nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think the O-line will suprise some people this season. I honostly think we'll be fine.