PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary List of Top 25 FCS football Recruiting Classes as of Oct 21, 2018

World
October 24th, 2018, 12:38 AM
For the Class of 2019

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-recruiting-classes-national-top-25-oct-2018-ajaj (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-recruiting-classes-national-top-25-oct-2018-ajaj)

THE TOP 25 CLASSES

RK
FCS TEAM
TOP RECRUIT

Harvard
DL Nate Leskovec

James Madison
LB Julio Ayamel

NDSU
LB Luke Weerts

Tenn-Martin
WR Jaden Gibbs

Yale
RB Josh McKenzie

Holy Cross
OL Patrick McMurtrie

Furman
LB Josh Slay

Princeton
TE Luke Gibson

Richmond
TE Ben Castellano

Howard
DB Elijah Coleman

Cent. Arkansas
OL Drew Vest

Delaware
TE Will Bowen

UC Davis
WR Blake Thorpe

Elon
DB Bo Sanders

Indiana State
DB Ethan Hoover

Wofford
LB Jack Scroggs

Mercer
QB Dylan Fromm

Montana State
WR Jaden Smith

Alabama State
OL Aric Harris

Villanova
OL Billy Hambrook

Albany
WR Jordan Irizarry

Fordham
DB Prince-Elijah Degroat

SDSU
DB Diamond Evans

Montana
LB Alex Hurlburt

Illinois State
DL Dallas Culpepper

JUST MISSED: Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, Kennesaw State, McNeese, Morgan State, Penn, Southern Illinois.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I agree. Morgan State’s team is way better than their record indicates.

clenz
October 24th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Oh no.

People thinking recruiting rankings matter, rape silly at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Oh no.

Beyond that at this level where most all the All-Americans are upperclassmen and the vast majority of All-Conference guys are upperclassmen the value of a recruiting class is more about retention and development. The schools that are the best at retaining their recruits throughout their 4-5 years and developing them from raw FCS level recruits to guys who "look the part" on a field with FBS level recruits will have the best teams.

It's an admirable effort by Hero Sports but they're trying to paint a complex picture with busted crayons.

clenz
October 24th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Beyond that at this level where most all the All-Americans are upperclassmen and the vast majority of All-Conference guys are upperclassmen the value of a recruiting class is more about retention and development. The schools that are the best at retaining their recruits throughout their 4-5 years and developing them from raw FCS level recruits to guys who "look the part" on a field with FBS level recruits will have the best teams.

It's an admirable effort by Hero Sports but they're trying to paint a complex picture with busted crayons.

Generic, off brand, comes with a kids menu at Perkins level crayons at that.

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Is the Dylan Fromm kid for Mercer Jake Fromm's brother?

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2018, 09:56 AM

It's an admirable effort by Hero Sports but they're trying to paint a complex picture with busted crayons.Yeah, and with all due respect to the Patriot league, any list that has multiple teams in the top 25 is...problematic.

As a fan and observer of a team that was at D2 level talent ~20 years ago and has steadily improved recruiting raw talent (FWIW at this level), recruiting classes aren't predictive of success. The wofford team that progressed farthest in the playoffs was likely the least talented of all our playoff teams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
October 24th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Is the Dylan Fromm kid for Mercer Jake Fromm's brother?
Yes...and his taller Twin brother, a TE, is committed to Auburn

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Yes...and his taller Twin brother, a TE, is committed to Auburn

So how did little Dylan end up with the short straw?

World
October 24th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Yeah, and with all due respect to the Patriot league, any list that has multiple teams in the top 25 is...problematic.

As a fan and observer of a team that was at D2 level talent ~20 years ago and has steadily improved recruiting raw talent (FWIW at this level), recruiting classes aren't predictive of success. The wofford team that progressed farthest in the playoffs was likely the least talented of all our playoff teams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

the success of less talented teams might underscore the abilities of the Coaches to develop these successful teams

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2018, 10:50 AM
the success of less talented teams might underscore the abilities of the Coaches to develop these successful teams

Which means the Patriot League has terrible coaches?

World
October 24th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Which means the Patriot League has terrible coaches?

If FCS coaches start off with less talented players and consistently develop those teams into successful teams, what does it tell you about the coaching abilities of these coaches?

Or...maybe these coaches have special abilities to determine which high school players would perform better in college, even if rated lower than others?

combination of both?

The Yo Show
October 24th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Generic, off brand, comes with a kids menu at Perkins level crayons at that.

I agree with you here. Separate topic, but from reading this article and seeing the comments from Rick D'Abreu, I noticed a trend. YSU also just got a 3 star defensive back and his comment was he committed to YSU despite being pursued by Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse and Indiana. His reasoning provided was two fold, he wanted to play sooner AND "They showed me the most attention. They were genuine. That’s what made me pick YSU." So it seems to be a common theme when looking at Rick's comments in the article, " But the reason why we go this route is because FCS schools like JMU make us feel valued and we’re not just another player. "

From this I hypothesize that FCS schools express more individual attention with their recruits.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I agree with you here. Separate topic, but from reading this article and seeing the comments from Rick D'Abreu, I noticed a trend. YSU also just got a 3 star defensive back and his comment was he committed to YSU despite being pursued by Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse and Indiana. His reasoning provided was two fold, he wanted to play sooner AND "They showed me the most attention. They were genuine. That’s what made me pick YSU." So it seems to be a common theme when looking at Rick's comments in the article, " But the reason why we go this route is because FCS schools like JMU make us feel valued and we’re not just another player. "

From this I hypothesize that FCS schools express more individual attention with their recruits.
I think you're right when it comes to that tweener FBS/FCS recruit but not recruits in general. I'm sure Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse had guys they pursued just as vehemently as YSU pursued this guy but they weren't recruiting against YSU for those guys, they were recruiting against other ACC/SEC/Big 12 teams. It would be similar to a fringe FCS prospect picking a D2 school over an FCS school because the coaches from the D2 schools were more excited about him and were talking to him earlier and longer. Great recruiters have a tendency to move up the coaching ranks pretty quickly so I don't think that FCS coaches are any better at it than FBS coaches.

Go Green
October 24th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Then Dartmouth must have the best developers ever. Every year we're at the bottom of the recruiting rankings and most years finish at the top of the standings.

Personally, I don't think our recruiting has been all that bad. Most of our starters had FBS offers...

Sycamore62
October 24th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Oh no.

some days you will take any positive news.

bonarae
October 25th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Meanwhile...

Can they even dare to re-evaluate these recruiting classes after 4 or 5 years? Now that's challenging enough... xrulesx