PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Generating Serious Press Throughout the Nation!

G.S.Green
March 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Hampton U. now on NFL's radar

Division I-AA program had five players at combine in February

01:35 PM CDT on Friday, March 30, 2007
By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The NFL knows the road to Charlottesville and Blacksburg. Scouting treks to the campuses of Virginia and Virginia Tech over the years have produced the likes of Ronde and Tiki Barber, Mike Vick, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, DeAngelo Hall and Thomas Jones.

Scouts needed to learn the road to another Virginia campus in 2006, as well.

Every February, the NFL invites the 325 top draft prospects to Indianapolis for its annual scouting combine. The invite list in 2007 included five players from Hampton University, a Division I-AA power on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

That didn't match the seven invitations bestowed on the prospects at Virginia Tech – but Hampton received as many as national powers Arkansas and Penn State and more than BCS participants Southern Cal (four), Wisconsin (two) and Wake Forest (two).

"I take a lot of pride in that," Hampton linebacker Justin Durant said. "There's a reason the Hampton guys were invited."

Good football players can't hide from the NFL – and Hampton has some good football players:

• Durant was a three-time Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year from his middle linebacker spot. On tape, the NFL saw his 353 career tackles. At the combine, the NFL saw his 4.56-second speed over 40 yards.

• Alonzo Coleman was a four-time All-MEAC selection at halfback, becoming just the eighth player in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 in all four of his college seasons.

• Marquay McDaniel was a four-year starter and a two-time All-MEAC selection as both a wide receiver and punt returner. He caught 151 passes in his career and set NCAA I-AA records with his 144 punt returns for 1,907 yards.

• Travarous Bain was a two-time All-MEAC selection at cornerback. He transferred to Hampton from Miami (Fla.), where he doubled as a defensive back on the football team and a sprinter on the track team.

AP
Alonzo Coleman had four 1,000-yard rushing seasons at Hampton. • Onrea Jones started opposite McDaniel at wide receiver and caught 96 career passes. As a high schooler in Virginia, he was a state champion in the 110- and 300-meter hurdles. The NFL likes speed.

All five Hampton standouts are hoping the NFL can correct mistakes that occurred several years ago during the college recruitment process.

"I wanted to go Division I," Durant said. "That's everyone's dream coming out of high school – to play for a Division I team. But a couple of us didn't have any offers, so we had no choice but to go where we went.

"But I knew I could be one of the better players in the nation if I worked hard to get better."

Hard work sent middle linebackers Willie Lanier from Morgan State and Harry Carson from South Carolina State to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Hard work also sent rookie safety Antoine Bethea from Howard into the starting Super Bowl lineup of the Indianapolis Colts last February.

The NFL has an open-door policy for small schools such as Hampton.

"The NFL has always been an aspiration," Durant said. "I realized there was always a path. Some of the bigger names in the league today came from smaller schools. I knew there was always a way."

slostang
March 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Way to go HU. I am looking forward to seeing them play on Sundays.

WildcatFan
March 31st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Congratulations to those players and the entire Hampton Football Program - class act!!

R.A.
April 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Way to Rep Pirates.

Hansel
April 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
"I wanted to go Division I," Durant said. "That's everyone's dream coming out of high school – to play for a Division I team. But a couple of us didn't have any offers, so we had no choice but to go where we went.

He didn't? Where is ralph at :p

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
It is always great to see fcs players do well... I will be rooting for all of the on draft day and on sundays

April 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
He didn't? Where is ralph at?Yeah, what can you say? The writer should have fixed that. But even the writer called Hampton, I-AA. Email sent. xnodx

PrinceofJSU
April 2nd, 2007, 03:06 AM
Congrats HU. Hope you guys can keep it up!

JMUFortier
April 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Congratulations! Though the writer got your location wrong...

Every February, the NFL invites the 325 top draft prospects to Indianapolis for its annual scouting combine. The invite list in 2007 included five players from Hampton University, a Division I-AA power on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

:-0