PDA

View Full Version : MSU Spring Prospectus

catbob
March 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.msubobcats.com/upload/pdf1_200703281175105515.pdf

Interesting to see one of our star LBs (King) move to S. He was always reported to be one of the fastest guys on the team, and we lost a lot in the S position due to the graduation of Ryan Force, Marcosus LeBlanc (App fans favorite Bobcat) and Tyrone Henderson.

We return every TE, RB, QB and LB from last years team.

I find it interesting that very few are picking the Cats to make the playoffs this year. This is an experienced, talented team that came into their own last year, and I don't see any reason why we can't expect at the very least a repeat season.

My biggest concern is the secondary, but we have brought in a 4 star JC transfer at S and a couple DBs as well. We lose a lot of receiving power, but the Cats always land quality transfers - Kramer can pick WRs.

Peems
March 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Interesting to see one of our star LBs (King) move to S. He was always reported to be one of the fastest guys on the team, and we lost a lot in the S position due to the graduation of Ryan Force, Marcosus LeBlanc (App fans favorite Bobcat) and Tyrone Henderson.

We return every TE, RB, QB and LB from last years team.

I find it interesting that very few are picking the Cats to make the playoffs this year. This is an experienced, talented team that came into their own last year, and I don't see any reason why we can't expect at the very least a repeat season.

My biggest concern is the secondary, but we have brought in a 4 star JC transfer at S and a couple DBs as well. We lose a lot of receiving power, but the Cats always land quality transfers - Kramer can pick WRs.

Have you heard anything about transfers for WR yet?

CrazyCat
March 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Have you heard anything about transfers for WR yet?

DeAndre Green, WR
6-1, 170, Jr, Concord, CA -- Contra Costa JC/De Anza
Player Notes: Transferred to MSU at the semester from Contra Costa College in California... caught 43 passes for 437 yards and four TDs as a sophomore... earned First Team All-Bay Valley Conference honors as a freshman, when he was also his team’s MVP... caught 72 passes for 839 yards and seven scores that year.

From MSU Coach Mike Kramer: “DeAndre is a tall, willowy wide receiver with definitive speed and tremendous productivity at Contra Costa. His 3.1 grade point average indicates his academic efficiency, and he is intent on graduating from Montana State in three semesters. DeAndre brings us experience and production.”

CopperCat
March 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yes Catbob, it was interesting to see King move from LB, because when I read the signings, it looked like safety was something that was well taken care of. It makes me wonder if King might take on a rover kind of role, going in and out of LB and S in different defensive looks. But check these new S recruits out.
http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=1866
Abraham Muheize, S
5-10, 191, So, El Cajon, CA -- Grossmont JC/El Cajon
Player Notes: Joined the Bobcats in January from Grossmont Junior College, where he registered 40 tackles, picked off two passes and blocked four punts last fall as a freshman... earned First Team All-Grossmont League and All-East County honors as a senior at El Cajon, nabbing Union Tribune and East County Offensive Player of the Year honors... EA Sports Second Team All-America... one of 30 athletes from across the nation chosen for Red Zone Player of the Year honors by Old Spice...
(This guy is legit! Good size (bigger than Fuller and Austin) and has a history of success.

Ramon Lewis, S
6-2, 203, Jr, Macon, GA -- Butte JC/Southeast HS
Player Notes: Transfers to MSU from Butte Junior College in California, where he was a team captain and two-time letterman... earned First Team All-California honors and All-NorCal honors... a four-star recruit by JCFootball.com and an Honorable Mention JC Gridwire All-America... registered 60 tackles with four picks and 20 pass breakups last year.

Maybe not quite as hallowed as Muheize, but is bigger than most safety's we've had recently. Defense just got better!!!

GOKATS
March 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Yes Catbob, it was interesting to see King move to LB, because when I read the signings, it looked like safety was something that was well taken care of. It makes me wonder if King might take on a rover kind of role, going in and out of LB and S in different defensive looks. But check these new S recruits out.
http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=1866
Abraham Muheize, S
5-10, 191, So, El Cajon, CA -- Grossmont JC/El Cajon
Player Notes: Joined the Bobcats in January from Grossmont Junior College, where he registered 40 tackles, picked off two passes and blocked four punts last fall as a freshman... earned First Team All-Grossmont League and All-East County honors as a senior at El Cajon, nabbing Union Tribune and East County Offensive Player of the Year honors... EA Sports Second Team All-America... one of 30 athletes from across the nation chosen for Red Zone Player of the Year honors by Old Spice...
(This guy is legit! Good size (bigger than Fuller and Austin) and has a history of success.

Ramon Lewis, S
6-2, 203, Jr, Macon, GA -- Butte JC/Southeast HS
Player Notes: Transfers to MSU from Butte Junior College in California, where he was a team captain and two-time letterman... earned First Team All-California honors and All-NorCal honors... a four-star recruit by JCFootball.com and an Honorable Mention JC Gridwire All-America... registered 60 tackles with four picks and 20 pass breakups last year.

Maybe not quite as hallowed as Muheize, but is bigger than most safety's we've had recently. Defense just got better!!!

King will be the rover, he's the fastest guy on the team & will be an integral part of the flex 'D'.

CopperCat
March 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
King will be the rover, he's the fastest guy on the team & will be an integral part of the flex 'D'.

He reminds me at times of Kane Ioane. The hair does it too. The guy is a beast!

CatFan22
March 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM
This got me all excited today. I can't wait until spring practices start on the 5th!

GOKATS
March 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
This got me all excited today. I can't wait until spring practices start on the 5th!

Weather permitting, but we haven't had any snow since the 4" yesterday.:D

CatFan22
March 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Weather permitting, but we haven't had any snow since the 4" yesterday.:D

That snow ruined my day :(
Damn Montana weather. Specifically the reason we start on the 5th. But oh well, it will give me a chance to actually get though some exams until Thursday. xthumbsupx

OB55
March 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM
That snow ruined my day :(
Damn Montana weather. Specifically the reason we start on the 5th. But oh well, it will give me a chance to actually get though some exams until Thursday. xthumbsupx
How bout them tumbleweeds up there? Wow! I got some 4' drifts in my yard down here in lil' ole' wyo.

GOKATS
March 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
How bout them tumbleweeds up there? Wow! I got some 4' drifts in my yard down here in lil' ole' wyo.

Yea,that was a funny story that made national news. It was a helluva wind throughout the valley that night, but the tumbleweeds affected about 4-6 houses clustered together out in a mostly undeveloped area of the Gallatin valley next to a 160 acre farm piece that lost its crop last year and went to seed- the wind just happened to be headed smack their direction and those houses were the only thing around that could stop those tumbleweeds.

It doesn't take much out of the usual for Montana to catch some press.:D

Tod
March 29th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I, for one, have not even begun to think about my top 25. It's too early, at least for me. I think the 'Cats will be excellent this year.

Odd how Lulay graduates and then the 'Cats make the playoffs. xconfusedx xconfusedx

xtwocentsx

GOKATS
March 29th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I, for one, have not even begun to think about my top 25. It's too early, at least for me. I think the 'Cats will be excellent this year.

Odd how Lulay graduates and then the 'Cats make the playoffs. xconfusedx xconfusedx

xtwocentsx

Lulay was a major, but one man piece, of building the 'Cats program under Coach Kramer. In many aspects Travis was the offense, but with his graduation the 'Cats 'O' is much more balanced because they lost the 'go to' guy.

BTW, Lulay (under contract with the Seahawks) is playing NFL Euro ball for the Berlin Thunder which kicks off in a couple weeks.

Tod
March 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Lulay was a major, but one man piece, of building the 'Cats program under Coach Kramer. In many aspects Travis was the offense, but with his graduation the 'Cats 'O' is much more balanced because they lost the 'go to' guy.

BTW, Lulay (under contract with the Seahawks) is playing NFL Euro ball for the Berlin Thunder which kicks off in a couple weeks.

Yeah, he was (and is) one helluva talent! xbowx xbowx xbowx

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, he was (and is) one helluva talent! xbowx xbowx xbowx

And they think we have nothing but hate for each other.................., my thanks for recognizing a true athlete.xthumbsupx

Now,................spring ball is coming up (yea the griz already started and the 'Cats may start next week depending on the weather), so let's get back to the usual hate stuff.xpeacex

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 09:51 AM
After watching Rolovich choke last year vs. ASU, I really hope that Rasmussen gets his chance to show that he is the better QB of the three we currently have. Carpenter wasn't bad when he got his rhythm going. He had some moments that were memorable, but I still think there is something better in Rasmussen. He's got size and speed, and can move around alot better than Rolo can (that guy is like a brick after he gets the ball). Maybe Rasmussen is the next Lulay? Who knows. I just know that if I have to watch Rolovich destroy the offense's rhythm again, I won't be happy.

Peems
March 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
After watching Rolovich choke last year vs. ASU, I really hope that Rasmussen gets his chance to show that he is the better QB of the three we currently have. Carpenter wasn't bad when he got his rhythm going. He had some moments that were memorable, but I still think there is something better in Rasmussen. He's got size and speed, and can move around alot better than Rolo can (that guy is like a brick after he gets the ball). Maybe Rasmussen is the next Lulay? Who knows. I just know that if I have to watch Rolovich destroy the offense's rhythm again, I won't be happy.

What year is Rasmussen and where is he from?

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
What year is Rasmussen and where is he from?

Rasmussen burned his redshirt last year as a true freshman. He's from Curtis High School in University Place, WA. I think we're going to see some great things from him.

catbob
March 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
When did he burn his redshirt?!?

The reason many Cat fans are high on him is:
A) "supposedly" some people thought he was either the #1 or #2 QB in WA, but injury kept him from getting offers. I've heard that a million times so I don't put much stock in it. Also word has it that WSU and UW were set on QBs and weren't recruiting.
B) This one I put a little stock in. There was a recruiting video circulating on BNation (though I think the site has since been removed) of Rasmussen. He is a very athletic QB (reminds me a bit of Swogger, but a bit quicker feet I think), and is a good 6'4-6'5. It was just him and a WR without pads, but he had a good arm and good feet.

According to scouts, he is a 2 star recruit.

"Limited by injury all season, still threw for 839 yards with 12 TDs and only 3 INTs with a quarterback rating was 146.7.

Had 105 yards and 3 TDs in the second quarter of season opener before suffering a broken ankle. Returned after missing only three games and with team at 1-3, led team into playoffs. Lost only one game he was able to complete, despite limited mobility."

Here is an article feature on Rasmussen from scout, showing just how much interest he was receiving in his junior year, because they expected a huge senior year, which he did not have, partly due to injury.
http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/358194.html

Peems
March 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Sounds exactly like someone I will hatexsmiley_wix

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Rasmussen burned his redshirt last year as a true freshman. He's from Curtis High School in University Place, WA. I think we're going to see some great things from him.

I don't know where you got this from, but he NEVER burned his redshirt.

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I don't know where you got this from, but he NEVER burned his redshirt.

I got it from the 2007 depth chart in the spring prospectus which is the title of this thread- the link is in the first post.

#17 Jordan Rasmussen 6-4 222 Fr^ Redshirted in 2006

^= used redshirt season

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I got it from the 2007 depth chart in the spring prospectus which is the title of this thread- the link is in the first post.

#17 Jordan Rasmussen 6-4 222 Fr^ Redshirted in 2006

^= used redshirt season

Your interpretation is a little off I think. What that means is that he "used a redshirt season," it doesn't mean he burned his redshirt. If you look at the rest of the depth chart, there are alot of other guys that have that symbol next to their names as well. That simply means they took a redshirt season to sit out. "Used redshirt season" does not imply that they burned their redshirt to play.

catbob
March 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Phew, I was thinking he was thrust into a game last year sometime, and I just didn't remember it. Used and burned are two completely different things man!

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Your interpretation is a little off I think. What that means is that he "used a redshirt season," it doesn't mean he burned his redshirt. If you look at the rest of the depth chart, there are alot of other guys that have that symbol next to their names as well. That simply means they took a redshirt season to sit out. "Used redshirt season" does not imply that they burned their redshirt to play.

My bad.:o Busy day at work- I did not intend to say 'burned'.

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
My bad.:o Busy day at work- I did not intend to say 'burned'.

No prob. That boy is good to go for four years now.......It is the second coming......xthumbsupx

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
No prob. That boy is good to go for four years now.......It is the second coming......xthumbsupx

I agree he has a great future ahead of him- I was at a practice during fall ball last year and Rasmussen definitely caught the attention of an NFL scout who was in town checking out Jefferson. The scout was really impressed with his throwing mechanics and said he'll be keeping an eye on him the next four years.

I remember how concerned many of us were last year when Carpenter got hurt hoping that Rolovich didn't get hurt because we were worried that they might have to 'burn' his redshirt. I think he'll give Rolo and Carp a run for their money thru spring and fall ball- great situation to have.

CatFan22
March 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think we need to focus more on Josh Lewis. I think he's going to have one of the better receiving season we have seen at MSU in awhile. I think he is really going to be a surprise this year and he is going to open up our running game a lot. xthumbsupx

GOKATS
March 31st, 2007, 01:19 AM
I think we need to focus more on Josh Lewis. I think he's going to have one of the better receiving season we have seen at MSU in awhile. I think he is really going to be a surprise this year and he is going to open up our running game a lot. xthumbsupx

I think Lewis (speed and great hands) will have a great year, but a real sleeper could well be Deon Toliver- he really impressed me last year with similar size to Jefferson.

CopperCat
March 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think Lewis (speed and great hands) will have a great year, but a real sleeper could well be Deon Toliver- he really impressed me last year with similar size to Jefferson.

I can't remember which game it was in, but I remember Toliver making that diving catch in the end zone for a TD where he broke his collar bone. Helluva catch, helluva player.

And yes, Josh Lewis I think will have a good year. He has talent out the wazu, and he's got decent speed and size.

Receivers should actually be a strong point, even though two of our most talented receivers in recent memory are gone (Wheaton and Jefferson).

CatFan22
March 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
I can't remember which game it was in, but I remember Toliver making that diving catch in the end zone for a TD where he broke his collar bone. Helluva catch, helluva player.

And yes, Josh Lewis I think will have a good year. He has talent out the wazu, and he's got decent speed and size.

Receivers should actually be a strong point, even though two of our most talented receivers in recent memory are gone (Wheaton and Jefferson).

I want to see how well transfer WR DeAndre Green is as well. I will check him out when spring practice starts this week. Also, Derek Green is penciled in as one of the starting WRs going into this spring so I expect him to show some stuff as well. He is pretty tall and has good hands. I would expect our receiving core to show they are not as thin as people think.

grizband
April 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
I want to see how well transfer WR DeAndre Green is as well. I will check him out when spring practice starts this week. Also, Derek Green is penciled in as one of the starting WRs going into this spring so I expect him to show some stuff as well. He is pretty tall and has good hands. I would expect our receiving core to show they are not as thin as people think.
Green should be a good WR, since he played in Sulser's fun and gun offense over at Senior High.xrotatehx

CopperCat
April 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Green should be a good WR, since he played in Sulser's fun and gun offense over at Senior High.xrotatehx

Was he originally supposed to be a tight end? I might be way off, but I seem to remember hearing something like that.

CatFan22
April 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Was he originally supposed to be a tight end? I might be way off, but I seem to remember hearing something like that.

I don't think so. He was a WR at Senior High and I'm pretty sure he came here as one. He is a bit small for a TE and has too good of hands and speed to be one.

CatFan22
April 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Well I awoke this morning to see it snowing with no signs of it letting up. The forcast all week is for less than desirable weather so it might be that MSU's spring practice will be delayed. :(
I hope it lets up for once and we can get spring practice in when it's suppose to be.

CopperCat
April 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Well I awoke this morning to see it snowing with no signs of it letting up. The forcast all week is for less than desirable weather so it might be that MSU's spring practice will be delayed. :(
I hope it lets up for once and we can get spring practice in when it's suppose to be.

Why don't we just make it snow on someone else's party? Like that town that is about 3 hours west of bozeman?xthumbsupx

CopperCat
April 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
I don't think so. He was a WR at Senior High and I'm pretty sure he came here as one. He is a bit small for a TE and has too good of hands and speed to be one.

Yeah, I looked at the recruiting chart from last year and you are right. I don't know what I was smoking to think that.

We don't need TE's anyway. There are still three solid players returning to that position, including Barnhart and Bostick.

CatFan22
April 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I looked at the recruiting chart from last year and you are right. I don't know what I was smoking to think that.

We don't need TE's anyway. There are still three solid players returning to that position, including Barnhart and Bostick.

Wait until Barnhart graduates, then you get to see the best tight end we have in Joe Schreibeis. :)

TulsaBobcat
April 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Wait until Barnhart graduates, then you get to see the best tight end we have in Joe Schreibeis. :)

Oh, come on 22, we know you're just a Billings West homer! xlolx xlolx

CatFan22
April 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, come on 22, we know you're just a Billings West homer! xlolx xlolx

Hey now, you know I'm right! xnodx

Bobcat in NC
April 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM

And let's not forget a certain MVP of this year's state AA basketball tourney. I figure he's a near lock to redshirt with all that the Cats have coming back at TE. Next year, however, whoooooooo!

catbob
April 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Anyone heard anything on Begger? He redshirted last year, correct?

CrazyCat
April 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
He is listed as a returning red-shirt. Here is a link to the spring prospectus.

GOKATS
April 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
He is listed as a returning red-shirt. Here is a link to the spring prospectus.

And this link was posted by catbob in the first post in this thread.xsmiley_wix

CrazyCat
April 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I realize that now.:D

CopperCat
April 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Looks like spring drills are going to be put off for another couple days at least (local news reported this, so it wouldn't surprise me if I drive by tomorrow and see a practice going on). It is supposed to warm up this weekend quite a bit, so maybe that will help dry out the bog known as the practice fields (the news said that too, so they could be wrong on all accounts, it wouldn't be the first time).

CrazyCat
April 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
MSU to start soon
By SCOTT MANSCH
Tribune Asst. Sports Editor

It won't be long now until the fur flies, instead of the snow, in the Montana State football camp.
But not today. Coach Mike Kramer's Bobcats were originally slated to open spring drills this afternoon, but recent wet and chilly weather in the Bozeman area has pushed back opening day.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/graphics/ad_arrow.gifKramer said his team, which is scheduled to conclude spring practice with a full-scale scrimmage on April 28 at Memorial Stadium in Great Falls, is ready to go.
"I think we're going to be a substantial football team," he said, noting that 13 starters return from a squad that finished 7-5 last fall and advanced to the second round of the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) playoffs.
Graduation losses were heaviest at receiver and in the secondary, but other than that the Bobcats are loaded with veterans. Recent minor surgeries to tight end Elliott Barnhart (knee), tight end Brandon Bostick (thumb), receiver Deon Toliver (collar bone) and offensive lineman Chris Smith (chest muscle) were all successful, and all but Smith are expected to participate this spring.
"We're very, very healthy and we have great numbers," said Kramer, who said 80 players will dress this spring. "We're at a stage in our program's history where we can have a really productive spring because most of the major characters are here. We are missing a cadre of safeties — we're very shallow there — so we need to recruit two safeties into our program who are varsity-level guys. And the same is true at wide receiver."
The Bobcat defense, a 3-3-5 "flex" alignment, is loaded with returning starters in the front seven. Senior linebacker Epikopo King, who Kramer said ran in the 4.4-second range when timed recently by pro scouts in the 40-yard dash, will be moved to safety this spring.
Many familiar faces return to the offensive front, as well. Kramer said a Made-in-Montana trio of Jim Verlanic (Anaconda), Jeff Hansen (Great Falls) and Adam DeCock (Harlowton) are all running with the top O-Line unit. But DeCock, a senior, faces a challenge from freshman Mike Person of Glendive, "who I think," said Kramer, "will be a great player."
Quarterbacks Jack Rolovich and Cory Carpenter are both back, along with halfbacks Aaron Mason, Evin Groves and Isaiah Taito. Mason rushed for 645 yards and Rolovich threw for 1,674 yards and 10 touchdowns in seven starts.
"Jack had a nice year and a good finish," said Kramer. "He rides with the numbers 1s to begin with, but, breathing down his neck and fighting for playing time is a guy who beat Colorado and had a record-setting day against NAU in Cory Carpenter. It should be a helluva battle between two good quarterbaks in the spring."
Mason is a returning starter in MSU's one-back set, although Groves finished the 2005 campaign as the go-to guy.
"At running back, that's an area we've made the most improvement physically," Kramer said. "All three of those guys ... are bigger, stronger, faster and more durable. And that's an issue for them, because none of those guys has shown a propensity to be healthy ... Mase is in front right now, but Evin is very, very capable."
All-Big Sky Conference receiver Michael Jefferson has graduated, which has to be a big concern for MSU fans.
"The big issue is, can we replace Mike Jefferson?" said Kramer of the 211-pounder who caught 66 balls for 1,023 yards last fall. "It's easy to see that over the last couple of years we've become a been pretty wide receiver-heavy team, going from Mike through Rick Gatewood through Scott Turnquist through Junior Adams. We've got to have at least one one guy ... who's gonna be our go-to guy at receiver and then we need a secondary go-to guy. That's the biggest question in the spring, besides our safety depth."
Kramer understands that fans, like always, will be focusing in on the QB position.
"We'll find out if Cory's closed the gap between he and Jack and whether Jack's made improvement," Kramer said. "If Jack's improved, we've become the team I think we're capable of. Ultimately our success will be determined on whether we can find a go-to wideout, and certainly Rolovich's got to play better."
If there are a lot of familiar faces in pads, there are many more with the whistles around their necks. "For the first time in my (13-year head) coaching career I've brought back all 10 assistant coaches," Kramer said. "We are pretty calm and pretty confident about where we are and what we're capable of."

CopperCat
April 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh God. Please tell me that Carpenter will take the #1 spot.

catbob
April 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Oh God. Please tell me that Carpenter will take the #1 spot.

I hope not. ;)

CopperCat
April 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I hope not. ;)

Ok, then Rasmussen needs to step up.

Let's think about this. You have a redshirt QB that clearly showed a lot of potential in previous practices. He has four years of eligibility left, just like Lulay did when he took over. If the offense is put in the hands of Rasmussen, the team will benefit in the long term moreso than if we put the ball in Rolo's hands.

On the flip side, Rolo and Carpenter both have a year of experience behind them, with Rolo having the edge since he finished the season. What I see as a nice option would be to give the #1 guy some snaps, but also to incorporate Rasmussen to give the defense a new look, and to get him some experience. Kramer will probably go with Rolo or Carp, but god I hope Rassmussen can see some time this year. He is after all, the future of the offense, along with Mason in the backfield.

GOKATS
April 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ok, then Rasmussen needs to step up.

Let's think about this. You have a redshirt QB that clearly showed a lot of potential in previous practices. He has four years of eligibility left, just like Lulay did when he took over. If the offense is put in the hands of Rasmussen, the team will benefit in the long term moreso than if we put the ball in Rolo's hands.

On the flip side, Rolo and Carpenter both have a year of experience behind them, with Rolo having the edge since he finished the season. What I see as a nice option would be to give the #1 guy some snaps, but also to incorporate Rasmussen to give the defense a new look, and to get him some experience. Kramer will probably go with Rolo or Carp, but god I hope Rassmussen can see some time this year. He is after all, the future of the offense, along with Mason in the backfield.

Rolovich will be # 1 going into spring ball- the QB job is his until he loses it. I hope to see a good battle between he and Carpenter with Rasmussen definitely in the mix. Nice situation to be in. Lulay was forced in (and it worked out great). I don't see Rasmussen in that situation with two vets, barring injuries, but I do hope he gets some playing time.

I think everyone in the FCS, not only the BSC, will know who Rasmussen is before his days at MSU are over.xthumbsupx

CopperCat
April 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Our win at CU last year had me thinking, so I took a peek at A&M's spring roster. The first thing that caught my eye was size. Their team is full of those big Texas boys (naturally, after all they are eating that Texas BBQ every day) who are over 260 lbs. easily. But do they have speed? MSU certainly has the speed to compete, but not really so much on the size. We do have a few bigger guys, like Siataga and Papich, but overall our strength is our speed. I really don't think we will even come close to winning that game, but it might be interesting for a quarter or two.

catbob
April 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
You can't give the keys to the offense to an unproven freshman especially when you have a QB returning who went 5-2 and led us into the second round of the playoffs. I said it after we signed Rasmussen that he would be a solid three year starter for us, and I still think that will be the case. I don't see him seeing the field this year unless it is in mop-up situations or if Rolo and Carp both go down.

GOKATS
April 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM
You can't give the keys to the offense to an unproven freshman especially when you have a QB returning who went 5-2 and led us into the second round of the playoffs. I said it after we signed Rasmussen that he would be a solid three year starter for us, and I still think that will be the case. I don't see him seeing the field this year unless it is in mop-up situations or if Rolo and Carp both go down.

Like I said, it's a great situation to be in, but if nothing else I hope Rasmussen gets some pt. We should be real solid this year, but I don't want Ras to start out '08 like Carp had to last year (no pt time backing up Lulay).

CopperCat
April 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM

But do you really think that Rolo is the better of the two right now? That game at UM last season was HORRID largely b/c of Rolo. He wouldn't keep his scan moving, which is why he got hammered from his blind side (twice) and sat on the sideline for the 4th quarter. I think he has the size and the arm, but Carp is much smarter than Rolo is, which is huge. I say give the start back to Cory like it was last year before he got hurt.

catbob
April 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Practice cancelled again... we might start before summer hits. Hell, the triangle classic might be the first time we suit up this year!

Bronco
April 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
You need to say Bozeman weather not Montana weather.
Griz haven't missed one day of spring drills.

catbob
April 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
You're right, Bozeman is the only town in Montana that has weather that isn't acceptable for football. It wasn't pouring in Helena when I left this morning or anything.

Besides, I think Kramer is using this "bad" weather to force the issue of a indoor practice facility.

GOKATS
April 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM

True- a couple thousand feet difference in elevation does make a difference.

CopperCat
April 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM

And screw them for it too.

Indoor practice facility? Anybody? Bueller?

GOKATS
April 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Cats finally did start spring ball this afternoon.

CopperCat
April 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Cats finally did start spring ball this afternoon.

Yeah, I was walking back to my car and Aaron Mason went sprinting out in front of me. Said he was going to practice!!xthumbsupx Hopefully it doesn't snow too much tonite so that they can get out there again tomorrowxrotatehx xrotatehx