PDA

View Full Version : Your Spring Game

Longnecker
March 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Just curious, what does your school do to promote the spring game? How about attendance? Are you allowed to tailgate? Thanks.

CSUBUCDAD
March 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Local media coverage is pretty good. Athletic site has the schedule up and made an announcement at the begining of spring training and heck yes they let you tailgate. Attendance has grown yearly since Mills got here and they are throwing a cookout after the game for all the fans to show their appreciation for all the support they get. Should be alot of fun this year. Real interested to see the changes on offense with Price and Drafts gone now.

Peems
March 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
The Griz Spring Game varies around the state. This year it is in Billings(the biggest MT city) and will be a grand time xhurrayx

Coastal89
March 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Coastal's Spring game is this Saturday. Promotion includes the local tv news spots and the Alumni Association mailer. The Alumni will be sponsering a tailgate but individuals are still allowed to have their own party's. Attendance last year was about 1,000 but I expect it to be larger this year, people want to see what we'll have at QB.

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
App's was poorly advertised and poorly attended especially because it was held at 10 am... they could have done much better

Cobblestone
March 29th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Just curious, what does your school do to promote the spring game? How about attendance? Are you allowed to tailgate? Thanks.

ABSOULTELY NOTHING! Our spring game last season was a joke! We had an A.D. who wasn't happy in his job (he has since left) so he decided that because some new stands were being put in on the home side that he'd have the spring game played on the practice field. First, he could have had it at the stadium, all he had to do was have the home side blocked or taped off, and there are never enough attendees to fill the place. Second, he could have had some bleachers put in at the practice field but he didn't so we all had the watch the game at ground level. Then he doesn't even send a press release to the local media so we got zero coverage on any news channels. Add to this that there no fesitivites or promotions of any kind.

Sorry to vent but it was an embarrassing situation for our program and the university in general.

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM
That is a bummer and very similar to app this year... goasu mentioned it once and then the morning of i checked to make sure i was right and there was no mention of it on there

Cocky
March 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Here is the lineup for our Spring Game week:

The week of March 26th is our annual Greek Week, that highlights Jacksonville State’s Greek Organizations, but the weekend brings numerous activities for everyone to enjoy.

Country music star, Sara Evans will be in concert at JSU on Friday, March 30 followed by a Saturday filled with activities such as a cook off, a spring football game, and numerous other musical acts and activities for people of all ages.

The weekend concludes on Sunday when Gamecock Softball plays conference rival Tennessee Tech University at 1:00 p.m. on April 1.

The Spring Fling is a fall homecoming type of event scheduled for the spring! The objective is to bring people to JSU’s campus in the early spring and to have one large event rather than a series of small events.

The secondary objective is to join with the city to help prospective consumers of our products clearly understand where we're located.

Monday, March 26

Greek Week Activities

Tuesday, March 27

Greek Week Activities

Wednesday, March 28

Greek Week Activities

Thursday, March 29

Greek Week Activities

Junior Recital, Marcus Hawkins, Mason Hall, 8:00 p.m.

Friday, March 30

JSU Alumni Golf Tournament, Silver Lakes, Noon - 5:00 ($50 per player)
CLICK HERE FOR GOLF INFORMATION

Student Performance Hour, Mason Hall, 1:45 p.m.

Sara Evans Concert, Pete Mathews Coliseum, 7:00 p.m.

BUY SARA EVANS TICKETS HERE!

Saturday, March 31

“Rib N’ It Up on the Square” Cook-off, Square, 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Music on the Square 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

J Club Golf Tournament, Cane Creek, 8:30 - 1:00 ($25 per player)

JSU “J” Day Football Game, Stadium, 3:30

JSU Soccer 7-on-7 Tournament, JSU Soccer Field, 10:00 a.m.

JSU Track and Field Meet, Track, 10:00 a.m.

JSU Softball Game, University Field, 1:00 p.m. vs. Tennessee Tech

JSU Tennis Match, Coliseum Courts, Noon vs. Birmingham Southern

Youth Activities, Inflatable Games etc., RV area, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Music Performances RV Lot 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Local Individual Music Talent

Dillon Hodges, Tracy & Alan, Winner of JSU Stars, and others

ROTC Program, Battlefield Staff Ride Kennesaw Civil War Battlefield, 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m

Waterfall Tour & Hike, JSU Field Schools, Cheaha Sate Park, 10:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m. $10

Red Wine & Dark Chocolate: an Antioxidant Affair, Houston Cole Library, 7:00 p.m., $15
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

Sunday, April 1

JSU Softball Game, University Field, 1:00 p.m. vs. Tennessee Tech

Junior Recital, DeShawndre Hill, Mason Hall 7:00 p.m.

blackfordpu
March 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
the school doesn't do much to promote it but a bunch of guys from katfans.com are going to party up at the spring game.xnodx

catbob
March 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Our spring game in Great Falls is a big deal. There are usually 3,000-4,000 Cat fans in attendance, and there is a big dinner the night before, with raffles, an auction, and usually a notable guest speaker. Last year was Lee Corso.

I'm not sure but I think one of our scrimmages will be broadcast on Altitude.

CrazyCat
March 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
this year its Rocky Bleier.

proasu89
March 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
App's was poorly advertised and poorly attended especially because it was held at 10 am... they could have done much better
It wasn't a game this year but a scrimmage. Still had over 1500 show up on a Saturday morning. I'm sure the renovations and #'s of bodies available on the defensive line had a lot to do with the scrimmage instead of a game.

PantherRob82
March 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure we really promote the game much. It's in articles in the paper and such. I believe tailgating is fine. Not sure how many people really do it. Ours is scheduled against a baseball game this year. Wish I didn't have to choose since the baseball team doesn't get much support.

CatFan22
March 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Our spring game in Great Falls is a big deal. There are usually 3,000-4,000 Cat fans in attendance, and there is a big dinner the night before, with raffles, an auction, and usually a notable guest speaker. Last year was Lee Corso.

I'm not sure but I think one of our scrimmages will be broadcast on Altitude.

I thought the spring game itself was on Altitude. I could be wrong, unless that's what you are referring to in the first place. I'm going to try to head up there for the game. Are you going to get up there for it?

bjtheflamesfan
March 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ours was more of a scrimmage with scripted plays but we had radio spots, newspaper ads, and we had our largest crowd even for the spring game (4-6,000 somewhere in there...one of the other Liberty guys that rolls through here would probably know better than I would)

TheBisonator
March 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Attendance has been getting better over the past several seasons. It went up from just over 1,000 in 2004 to 1,776 last year. Hopefully we'll have 2,000+ show up this spring. The game gets some mention in the paper, and it's promoted on the local sports radio shows (Coach Bohl talks on those shows, and gives everyone the heads-up). Not a lot of students show, but generally a few hundred show up. Seating is restricted to the east grandstand only, because attendance-wise, we never get above the 6,500 or so that grandstand seats.

The most unique thing for our spring games is the Alumni Auction held at the Fargodome lobby, where they auction off Bison memorabilia.

catbob
March 30th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I thought the spring game itself was on Altitude. I could be wrong, unless that's what you are referring to in the first place. I'm going to try to head up there for the game. Are you going to get up there for it?

I've made the last two, I'll see if I can't get time off for it. I have some buds in GF I like to visit at the same time.

PSUVikings
March 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM
right after spring break

andy7171
March 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
The Towson Black and Gold game is coming up on May 5th. They usually have an alumni touch game before followed by a pit beef/BBQ in a tent in the corner of the endzone before, during and after the game. Spring practice starts up this weekend. Exciting!

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It wasn't a game this year but a scrimmage. Still had over 1500 show up on a Saturday morning. I'm sure the renovations and #'s of bodies available on the defensive line had a lot to do with the scrimmage instead of a game.
1500 was pushing it and i wish they could have come up with a better time than 10 am that was rough getting up that early on a saturday

andy7171
March 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Attendance at the Blacka nd Gold game is dependant on the weather. It has the potential to draw if the sun is out and temps in the 70's. Towson is a beautiful place when the sun is out and the girl are getting sun!

JoshUCA
March 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM
UCA's Spring Game is Friday April 20 at 6:30 pm. I know there is the President's Tailgate and I am sure there are other events. Others will know more than I do as I have not been to a Spring game at UCAxsmhx
I have never heard of having the Spring game at different locations every year...that is an interesting idea to generate more interest around the state.

GOKATS
March 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM

You're both right. It has been reported (but I can't confirm it yet) that the final scrimmage in Great Falls, The "Sonny Holland Classic" on April 28 will be telecast by Altitude.

jessesd
March 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM

http://www.hofstra.edu/Athletics/Football/ath_fb_gameresult.cfm?gameID=7B357335-65B3-F1F2-6DF29E9F34B37B9C

Besides the website announcement ther is no much publicity, there are too many things to do in the Long Island area, not even the students attend the game..

The Northeastern Huskies and Richmond Spiders are slated to hold the first CAA Football spring contests April 7, while Delaware's annual spring game is scheduled for April 14. A week after Delaware's contest, James Madison and William & Mary will kickoff their off-season contest April 21. Villanova will wrap up its spring practice sessions April 22, while Hofstra and Rhode Island will hold spring games April 28. The remaining four schools, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Towson, will wrap up spring seasons with spring games May 5.

ngineer
March 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Lehigh doesn't do any real promotions. There are some media releases leading up to the game and the booster club has hotdogs for the players and families afterward. We generally have a few hundred in the stands, mostly interested alums, players' families, etc. The new recruits who are able to get to Bethlehem are introduced at halftime.