PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Rankings (10/14/18)

World
October 14th, 2018, 10:35 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Sagarin FCS Rankings:

1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Illinois State
5. Northern Iowa
6. Eastern Washington
7. Princeton
8. Kennesaw State
9. Jacksonville State
10. Elon
11. Weber State
12. Dartmouth
13. Delaware
14. Colgate
15. UC Davis
16. South Dakota
17. Missouri State
18. Samford
19. Towson
20. Wofford
21. Idaho State
22. Stony Brook
23. North Dakota
24. Villanova
25. Sam Houston State

Go...gate
October 14th, 2018, 10:49 PM
Nice showings by Princeton, Dartmouth and Colgate.

TheKingpin28
October 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Sagarin FCS Rankings:

1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Illinois State
5. Northern Iowa
6. Eastern Washington
7. Princeton
8. Kennesaw State
9. Jacksonville State
10. Elon
11. Weber State
12. Dartmouth
13. Delaware
14. Colgate
15. UC Davis
16. South Dakota
17. Missouri State
18. Samford
19. Towson
20. Wofford
21. Idaho State
22. Stony Brook
23. North Dakota
24. Villanova
25. Sam Houston StateSo the 4 teams I said would beat you are rated ahead of you? So as I said, middle of the pack team in The Valley.

/thread

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

World
October 14th, 2018, 11:18 PM
So the 4 teams I said would beat you are rated ahead of you? So as I said, middle of the pack team in The Valley.

/thread

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

actually, this is what you very specifically said when discussing the #3 v #7 teams in the Sagarin rankings:

" I told you SDSU could name the score against Princeton and it would not even be close. It would in fact, be extremely ugly for Princeton and I know they would be ran off the field, both literally and figuratively."

cx500d
October 15th, 2018, 12:21 AM
actually, this is what you very specifically said when discussing the #3 v #7 teams in the Sagarin rankings:

" I told you SDSU could name the score against Princeton and it would not even be close. It would in fact, be extremely ugly for Princeton and I know they would be ran off the field, both literally and figuratively."
Oh, so kingpin is right

World
October 15th, 2018, 01:10 AM
You just have to love those FCS Power Rankings

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16656

BisonTru
October 15th, 2018, 01:19 AM
You just have to love those FCS Power Rankings

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16656

I like computer rankings and I think the good ones do a good unbiased job of sorting out teams, but this one is ****. When I see simple (SRS xrolleyesx) or basic it's pretty much always just a lazy mathematical formula that usually produces crap results.

JSUSoutherner
October 15th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Oh, so kingpin is right

If you think he's stupid now, wait till they go 11-0 and try to claim a National Championship like UCF.

Its a real shame Ivies aren't in the playoffs. They'd be an easy way for JSU to start getting second round dubs.

Daytripper
October 15th, 2018, 05:52 AM
If you think he's stupid now, wait till they go 11-0 and try to claim a National Championship like UCF.

Its a real shame Ivies aren't in the playoffs. They'd be an easy way for JSU to start getting second round dubs.

At least UCF would have played for the championship if they were invited. So I won't compare the two situations. They got snubbed and I don't blame them for claiming championship. Ivies has no such right. They choose not to prove it on the field.

Cocky
October 15th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Must not have watched Princeton or Dartmouth play. Neither would be an easy out for JSU.

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2018, 08:46 AM
The general consensus nationally about Ivy League football equals bad football doesn’t always pertain to some Ivy League teams in certain years. Princeton & Dartmouth are as good as any CAA team this season. Yale dismantled Maine 35-7 as an example. (who many here have in the top 15 or so).

I get it that they tick off the FCS fans by choosing not to participate in the playoffs. You may exclude them from your Top 25, but make no mistake about some Ivy League teams in a particular year are loaded with FBS & high FCS level talent, but those players chose the 40 year path of success on Wall Street or a CEO/CFO path at a Fortune 500 company that a Ivy League education assists in getting an edge in those type of mega paying jobs.

All colleges give the overachiever a chance to succeed, but IVY League schools have a history of success in delivering those types more than non-Ivy. Schools like Princeton, Dartmouth, & Yale have put together strong recruiting classes lately that can compete against any FCS conference out there.

Congrats to Princeton & Dartmouth for playing high level competitive football this season. You would be a handful for most FCS programs on AGS. Too bad they can’t get a chance to see it in November/December. xpeacex

McNeese72
October 15th, 2018, 09:11 AM
We suck again!! :(

Doc

centennial
October 15th, 2018, 09:21 AM
The general consensus nationally about Ivy League football equals bad football doesn’t always pertain to some Ivy League teams in certain years. Princeton & Dartmouth are as good as any CAA team this season. Yale dismantled Maine 35-7 as an example. (who many here have in the top 15 or so).

I get it that they tick off the FCS fans by choosing not to participate in the playoffs. You may exclude them from your Top 25, but make no mistake about some Ivy League teams in a particular year are loaded with FBS & high FCS level talent, but those players chose the 40 year path of success on Wall Street or a CEO/CFO path at a Fortune 500 company that a Ivy League education assists in getting an edge in those type of mega paying jobs.

All colleges give the overachiever a chance to succeed, but IVY League schools have a history of success in delivering those types more than non-Ivy. Schools like Princeton, Dartmouth, & Yale have put together strong recruiting classes lately that can compete against any FCS conference out there.

Congrats to Princeton & Dartmouth for playing high level competitive football this season. You would be a handful for most FCS programs on AGS. Too bad they can’t get a chance to see it in November/December. xpeacex

This is the problem. We can't watch many Ivy games, and cross division games are limited. They might have good teams but it's hard to prove it with one off CAA wins. I still don't think Ivy's would come near the very top of MVFC, CAA, Big Sky.

JacksFan40
October 15th, 2018, 09:38 AM

If the Ivy started scheduling premier MVFC, Big Sky or CAA teams, it’d tell us more. If Ivies could play competitive or beat teams like NDSU, SDSU, JMU, EWU etc. They’d be given more respect. It’s a shame the Ivies won’t participate in the playoffs, they’ve had some teams over the years who could’ve made deep runs or possibly win it.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2018, 09:39 AM
If the Ivy started scheduling premier MVFC, Big Sky or CAA teams, it’d tell us more. If Ivies could play competitive or beat teams like NDSU, SDSU, JMU, EWU etc. They’d be given more respect. It’s a shame the Ivies won’t participate in the playoffs, they’ve had some teams over the years who could’ve made deep runs or possibly win it.No they haven't.

semobison
October 15th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Yale beat Maine but lost to Holy Cross?
Ive got the two Ivies in my top 25, not enough evidence to rank either in the top 15 though.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2018, 09:49 AM
A better view:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-sagarin-fcs-top-25-oct-13/

centennial
October 15th, 2018, 09:49 AM
No they haven't.

I think they could've gone up to the quarters. Semis are a little harder.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I think they could've gone up to the quarters. Semis are a little harder.I would agree with this, I think they might hit a brick wall at the quarters but who knows, some pretty marginal teams have made it to the semi's in the past. xcoffeex

World
October 15th, 2018, 10:09 AM

What?

11-0?

who would be the stupid one now?

World
October 15th, 2018, 10:15 AM
If the Ivy started scheduling premier MVFC, Big Sky or CAA teams, it’d tell us more. If Ivies could play competitive or beat teams like NDSU, SDSU, JMU, EWU etc. They’d be given more respect. It’s a shame the Ivies won’t participate in the playoffs, they’ve had some teams over the years who could’ve made deep runs or possibly win it.

Didn't Harvard have some great teams in the last ten years that broke the top 10 in the rankings?

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Didn't Harvard have some great teams in the last ten years that broke the top 10 in the rankings?
The highest Harvard ever got in the AGS Poll was 13th but that was in 2005. Recently they got as high as 16th in 2015. Yale got up to 10th towards the end of 2007. That's the highest any Ivy League team has ever gotten in the AGS Poll.

World
October 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM
A better view:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-sagarin-fcs-top-25-oct-13/

Excellent, thanks

I see that the Conference rankings are also included:

1. Missouri Valley
2. Colonial
3. Big Sky
4. Southern
5. Ivy League
6. Ohio Valley
7. Southland
8. Big South
9. Mid-Eastern
10. I-AA Independents
11. Northeast
12. Patriot
13. SWAC - West
14. SWAC - East
15. Pioneer

World
October 15th, 2018, 10:25 AM
The highest Harvard ever got in the AGS Poll was 13th but that was in 2005. Recently they got as high as 16th in 2015. Yale got up to 10th towards the end of 2007. That's the highest any Ivy League team has ever gotten in the AGS Poll.

Ok, thanks

Must have been the Coaches Poll that had Harvard in the top 10

Gangtackle11
October 15th, 2018, 10:29 AM
This is the problem. We can't watch many Ivy games, and cross division games are limited. They might have good teams but it's hard to prove it with one off CAA wins. I still don't think Ivy's would come near the very top of MVFC, CAA, Big Sky.

Dont disagree with this. They can beat the next level teams in those conferences in years they have the talent. I’ve seen Princeton. They are a handful. Haven’t seen Dartmouth, but people I respect & know the FCS game say they are good also. No one is saying they are NDSU or JMU good, but a Maine or pick a middle of the pack MVFC would have a fight with these teams.

Ironically, Rutgers & Princeton are coming up on the 150th anniversary of The Game. General consensus Princeton would get crushed most seasons.Given the rise of Princeton & the lowly depth of Rutgers football this would be a tough game to call this season for sure. xpeacex