PDA

View Full Version : Fifth year seniors?

RichH2
March 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Confirmed today for lehigh that Stinson, Campion , Reese and Thomas got their extensions. no mention of Adams.

While 5th year players not uncommon it does seem that they are much more prevalent now than 5-6 years ago.

How many does your team look to return? Does it really make that much difference ?

dbackjon
March 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
What school??

RichH2
March 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Those listed are for Lehigh. My question is how common is it with schools at our level and does it really have that much impact on the success of the team that yr.

At lehigh occasionlly have one or two . this year we have 4 and may have 5 and all either starters or lettermen.

NE MT GRIZZ
March 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think 5th year seniors make a huge difference.
Not many Freshman can contribute right away, so a redshirt year will help them develop.

An extra year of quality strength and speed training will pay huge dividends when the kid is 23years old and just getting into his physical prime.

cosmo here
March 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Those listed are for Lehigh. My question is how common is it with schools at our level and does it really have that much impact on the success of the team that yr.

At lehigh occasionlly have one or two . this year we have 4 and may have 5 and all either starters or lettermen.

I think most schools have a higher number of fifth-year seniors than 4 or 5 . . but that's because they're redshirted medically instead of athletically, which you can't do in our league.

The UMass team Lafayette played in the playoffs last year had a graduate student, 9 redshirt seniors, 5 "natural" seniors, and 11 redshirt juniors. That's 26 players that would be in (or had already exceeded) their final year of eligibility in the Patriot League.

slostang
March 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cal Poly redshirts over 95% of their incoming freshmen so almost every senior on Cal Poly's roster is a 5th year player.

andy7171
March 28th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Towson redshirts almost all of the freshman recruits. With the exception of one player every other year absed on talent or need at a position

I'm pretty sure the Patriot League doesn't allow redshirting. Your players must have gotten the rare medical redshirt. Which is nice for the athlete to play one more year after a season ending injury.

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
It is a system that works... look at wake forest... after years of redshirting everyone the age and experience factor finally paid off last year!

mebisonII
March 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Now, are you talking about seniors who have been in school for 5 years, or athletes who have been seniors for 5 years? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

cosmo here
March 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
It is a system that works...

... if your league allows it !! xlolx

RichH2
March 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Perhaps the Ivy approach to red****s. Have the player with draw from school so he gets the year. very popular with the wrestling coaches .

Peems
March 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The biggest one for the Griz is Hilliard