View Full Version : YSU starts spring practice

GoGuins
March 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM
tomorrow 3/29

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2007/springsked.htm

No spring 2007 Prospectus published yet

GoGuins
April 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Haven't added much since I started the thread, but YSU concluded their spring practice with the annual Red-White spring game Friday night

-veteran QB Zetts looked good and his back-up very good also.
-running game big question mark with loss of Mason, who will step up?
-defense will be strength of team with a veteran, solid front seven returning, including OSU transfer DT Sian Cotton. big loss is on the corners
-look for TE's to be utilized more this year

I didn't attend the game but read that Lebron James was in attendance watching his buddy and former HS basketball teammate (& future bodyguard) Cotton play

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/2007/SPRING07.HTM

appfan2008
April 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
any idea how many people showed up?

GoGuins
April 21st, 2007, 11:43 PM
stat sheet said 1853, that's about the norm. It was the first spring game I've missed in a few years.

stuperman17
April 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yes, roughly 2,000 people showed up...and LeBron was in fact there, it was something to see to say the least. He was sitting in the east stands (the short side) by himself, just him and his entourage and 2 bodyguards...that side was closed to fans, except him i guess...

Zetts looked good, rowan looked good (backup qb)..Both defenses looked very strong. The recievers look like the strength of the offense right now, along with the qb obviously.

GoGuins
April 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/sports/articles.asp?articleID=17176

I like the all red uniform combo, I don't think I've ever seen that

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/storyPhotos/b1...R20YSU203.jpg

nmatsen
April 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I wonder what color uniform you guys will use this year in the dome? You don't have to worry about grass stains inside you know, now if you guys could take care of those yellow colored stains running down the middle of your uniform's pants that you guys seem to get every time you guys play UNI that would be a different story.

appfan2008
April 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
thats ridiculous... i know he is a big star and all... but to shut off a side for one guy is crazy

FlyYtown
April 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
There would be no point to open the east stands anyways appfan2008.
Our big side seats 16000; and there was about 2000 there.....

And you have to have people working concessions and such; just makes since to keep it all on one side.

I hope to see the RED on RED uni's this year.. Looks awesome!

stuperman17
April 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
They didnt' close that side off for LeBron to have himself...but he just asked if he could go over there, so they allowed him to. They let him go into the stands from the field, not from behind like usual.

The Red on Red was ugly at first, but once i got used to it i really started to like them. I love the black pants with white jerseys more though. If theres any combo we should consider wearing this year, it's the white/black combo. Red on Red for home games, white/black combo for away games would be sweet.

BDK@YSU
April 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I hate either combination. I hate black pants, and I hate the mono-color tomato look. Why don't we get some white pants, and wear those every game. The tops are fine, but let's go for some pants like these, courtesy of moi...

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6712/ysuiy0.jpg

Pardon my weak Photoshop skills, but damn that would look good.

stuperman17
April 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Well, i dunno about those pants, their fine but i dunno...White pants with white jerseys would be sweet as hell though..

White with red jerseys, not so much imo...Maybe black and red for home games, white on white for away...but i dont think the football team's gonna invest in only 1 set of new pants...they'd just get completely new uni's, which they dont really need right now..

Maybe we can get lebron to buy us some stuff like he did for the OSU basketball team when he bought new uni's for them

GoGuins
April 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Any news on a transfer RB coming in? Whatever happened to Andrew Johnson from Miami, Fl who was rumored?

I've also read Ohio State's Shaun Lane as well. His brother Ben is YSU's FB

Peems
April 24th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Lebron was a pretty good football player in High School. He played WR/TE if i recall correctly. maybe he could have been a dual sport athlete at YSU:D

GoGuins
April 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Lebron was a pretty good football player in High School. He played WR/TE if i recall correctly. maybe he could have been a dual sport athlete at YSU:D

He was a 1st team All-Ohio WR his junior year in football for Akron St Vincent St Mary (Irish). Can you imagine a 6'6 (his height at the time) 230 lb. WR with his leaping ability & speed in high school?

I always wondered if the NBA rule that's in effect now, mandatory one year in college, was in when he graduated high school where he would have went. He always said North Carolina because of his idol Jordan, but I think he would have stayed at home and played for Akron with his 2 buddies from high school (Romeo Travis & Dru Joyce).

stuperman17
April 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
He's also mentioned that he wanted to go to OSU...i dunno though, he'd make a sick TE in the NFL right now, at 6'8"/6'9" with his athletic ability...wow!

Anyway, as for the possible transfer RB...I heard we're getting some kid from California, a JUCO transfer who went to the same high school as reggie bush...i guess he broke alot of bush's records, which i know is hard to believe...

Shaun Lane is a possibility i've heard, but he plays CB now at OSU...He no longer plays RB like he went there to be when he was recruited.

FlyYtown
April 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Andrew Johnson is an Akron Zip... Why is beyond me!

GoGuins
April 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I wasn't at the spring game but YSU has one of the best TE combos (Irizarry/Bush) in all FCS and I think they should be used more in the passing game.

I'm not sold on Jabari Scott at TB yet. He showed some promise a couple years ago in limited action against a couple cupcakes, but his size cannot handle 20+ carries a game. We've been spoiled with Marcus Mason the last couple years, he was the first good, durable back we've had since Adrian Brown in the late 90's.

I can't wait for QB Rowan to get his chance when Zetts leaves. He's got size, mobility, and a strong, accurate arm

stuperman17
April 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Jabari actually has decent size...He's the biggest back we have at least. Jordan Edwards is a little thin, and Brandon Nicholson is just short. Still, after the jersey scrimmage i'd say jordan edwards is the frontrunner, he had a real good showing in that game. Yet, Jabari scott had a good spring game.

Rowan has great size at this level at 6'3", his mobility is good but not as good as zetts. Rowan just seems to lack the quickness, but the speed is there. His accuracy is very good, and his arm strength is a little suspect but shouldnt be anything to worry about. His accuracy should easily compensate for his so so arm.