PDA

View Full Version : Towson for real

etiger
October 7th, 2018, 08:15 AM
The Towson Tigers put 52 points on Stony Brook. They were the 13th ranked team with the best defense in the CAA. Not anymore! This Tigers team is for real. Tom Flacco is a superstar! Time for some respect in the polls now!

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2018, 08:44 AM
They should've gotten that respect after beating Villanova 2 weeks ago IMO. I have a feeling they'll still be in the high teens in the STATS and Coach's poll though which is grossly underrated. They're obviously in the top 10 for me and I hope they make that jump in the AGS Poll this week (they were 18th last week).

ElCid
October 7th, 2018, 08:46 AM
The Towson Tigers put 52 points on Stony Brook. They were the 13th ranked team with the best defense in the CAA. Not anymore! This Tigers team is for real. Tom Flacco is a superstar! Time for some respect in the polls now!

He is a very good player with outstanding situational awareness. We shut down his passing fairly well, but he knew when to take off running and burned us with some long runs. He knows where his pocket nooks and crannies are as well. They will contend for the CAA with him at the helm. But I never like to see one man bands. Anything happens to him and they are just ok. Good, but not a contender.

WestCoastAggie
October 7th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Put some respeck on Elon's name too.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I was wacthing some of Towson's game without sound vs Wake Forest early, the Towson QB stood out as a playmaker, I had no idea it was Joe's lil Bro.... shame on me...

katss07
October 7th, 2018, 09:48 AM
There good, but I’m not sure if they are top 3 in the CAA. They’ve played well, but I’ll take Maine or JMU and of course Elon over Towson.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
There good, but I’m not sure if they are top 3 in the CAA. They’ve played well, but I’ll take Maine or JMU and of course Elon over Towson.

fair, but also fair to say all three would be #1 rated in the southland....Noted not at the same time

Preferred Walk-On
October 7th, 2018, 10:54 AM
They should've gotten that respect after beating Villanova 2 weeks ago IMO. I have a feeling they'll still be in the high teens in the STATS and Coach's poll though which is grossly underrated. They're obviously in the top 10 for me and I hope they make that jump in the AGS Poll this week (they were 18th last week).

With all due respect Professor, would that be the 0-3 in the CAA Villanova we are talking about, and the same Villanova that Stony Brook beat by 2 points last week and Maine beat by 3 this week? Towson did get some respect after their Villanova win (they got votes, didn’t they?). Let’s take one foot off the Towson soapbox for just a minute and realize that sometimes it takes a team a few weeks to “earn” the recognition it deserves. I realize this is a bit unfair, as there are definitely teams that receive recognition that have not yet "earned" it. Full disclosure, I am one who did not put Towson in my poll until last week (@ 21), and it is likely they will not be in my top 10 just yet. Beat Elon or James Madison (or Maine?), then we'll talk about "grossly underrated", and I will certainly appreciate your "I told you so" posts about Towson much more at that point. That said, great job thus far Towson, and I really do hope you prove the Professor to be a soothsayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2018, 11:13 AM
With all due respect Professor, would that be the 0-3 in the CAA Villanova we are talking about, and the same Villanova that Stony Brook beat by 2 points last week and Maine beat by 3 this week? Towson did get some respect after their Villanova win (they got votes, didn’t they?). Let’s take one foot off the Towson soapbox for just a minute and realize that sometimes it takes a team a few weeks to “earn” the recognition it deserves. I realize this is a bit unfair, as there are definitely teams that receive recognition that have not yet "earned" it. Full disclosure, I am one who did not put Towson in my poll until last week (@ 21), and it is likely they will not be in my top 10 just yet. Beat Elon or James Madison (or Maine?), then we'll talk about "grossly underrated", and I will certainly appreciate your "I told you so" posts about Towson much more at that point. That said, great job thus far Towson, and I really do hope you prove the Professor to be a soothsayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After Towson beat Nova the consensus was Nova was still a top 15 team (they were #15 in the AGS poll the week after that game) yet Towson wasn't even in the top 25 (they were #26). Two weeks after that Towson beat The Citadel by 3 scores. That's the same team that Wofford, an AGS top 10 team since week2, squeaked by by 7 points yet Towson was ranked 11 spots below Wofford after that. Now they have a beatdown of Stony Brook, ranked #12 in last week's AGS poll and probably still ranked in the top 20 this week. What else more do they have to prove in comparison to what other teams have proven? What has a team like say UC Davis proven, who was #9 in the AGS poll last week, that Towson hasn't? UC Davis certainly doesn't have any "rep" from recent years to fall back on. Towson has been overlooked for several weeks now, hopefully that ends this week.

katss07
October 7th, 2018, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;2687601]fair, but also fair to say all three would be #1 rated in the southland....Noted not at the same time[/QUOT
Not a shot at Towson they are a good team. Why bring the SLC into this? And now that you have, no they wouldn’t win the Southland.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2018, 11:31 AM
In Week 3 I had Towson at 17. In week 4 I made the mistake and kept Towson at 17. This week I had Towson at 14 and after the beatdown, I moved them up from 14 to their current spot. Now If they keep winning, they will keep climbing.

Imagine if they had Terrance West at back this year. I would not want to try and defend that.

November 10th and 17th could be the CAA title game. Towson @ Elon and JMU vs Towson. What a way to end the schedule.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 7th, 2018, 11:48 AM
You never know what teams will get better and which worse as the season moves along but as of now I'd put CAA teams in 4 groups where I wouldn't be surprised if within the group the teams finished in any order:

1) Elite: JMU, Elon, Towson (have best QB in CAA)
2) Playoff Teams: Stony Brook, Maine, Delaware (for now, one of these 3 will be a bubble team)
3) Wake me up if one of these goes on a run but otherwise in my mind they are out: UNH, Albany, W&M, Richmond, Villanova
4) Team I have no idea what to do with because we are so used to treating them like the league doormat but can't do so this year off as they make their way across the northeast marauding and embarrassing proud Ivy League institutions and in the back of my mind I still think will return to old form and hope it will happen on 10/20 at Stony Brook Homecoming: Rhode Island

I bet when Stony Brook scheduled the Rams for homecoming they weren't planning on a team that beat Brown 48-0, scored 49 points against FBS UConn and 45 against Albany.

GoBlueHens83
October 7th, 2018, 11:59 AM
You never know what teams will get better and which worse as the season moves along but as of now I'd put CAA teams in 4 groups where I wouldn't be surprised if within the group the teams finished in any order:

1) Elite: JMU, Elon, Towson (have best QB in CAA)
2) Playoff Teams: Stony Brook, Maine, Delaware (for now, one of these 3 will be a bubble team)
3) Wake me up if one of these goes on a run but otherwise in my mind they are out: UNH, Albany, W&M, Richmond, Villanova
4) Team I have no idea what to do with because we are so used to treating them like the league doormat but can't do so this year off as they make their way across the northeast marauding and embarrassing proud Ivy League institutions and in the back of my mind I still think will return to old form and hope it will happen on 10/20 at Stony Brook Homecoming: Rhode Island

I bet when Stony Brook scheduled the Rams for homecoming they weren't planning on a team that beat Brown 48-0, scored 49 points against FBS UConn and 45 against Albany.

Delaware isn't making the playoffs. They have very little margin of error, and have Elon, Towson, Stony Brook & Villanova left on the schedule. With 2 losses on the season already, I just don't think they come away with the wins needed for a playoff spot. I hope I'm wrong though.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 7th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Delaware isn't making the playoffs. They have very little margin of error, and have Elon, Towson, Stony Brook & Villanova left on the schedule. With 2 losses on the season already, I just don't think they come away with the wins needed for a playoff spot. I hope I'm wrong though.

I understand what you're saying but I'm pretty sure Stony Brook (with Rhode Island, JMU, and Delaware left) and Maine (with Rhode Island and Towson) kind of feel the same way. 2/3 of these teams will be in, 1 will be out. Delaware has the toughest path but they could still make it.

Schism55
October 7th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Shout out to Towson for having as many non football bull**** lines/markings on their field as possible xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Poor Citadel. They're 1-3 and will probably not make the playoffs, but their 3 losses are to teams that will most likely make the playoffs, 2 of which will compete for a seed.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;2687601]fair, but also fair to say all three would be #1 rated in the southland....Noted not at the same time[/QUOT
Not a shot at Towson they are a good team. Why bring the SLC into this? And now that you have, no they wouldn’t win the Southland.

Well Tommorow Never Knows and we won't either

GoBlueHens83
October 7th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I understand what you're saying but I'm pretty sure Stony Brook (with Rhode Island, JMU, and Delaware left) and Maine (with Rhode Island and Towson) kind of feel the same way. 2/3 of these teams will be in, 1 will be out. Delaware has the toughest path but they could still make it.

Stony Brook & Maine both have quality wins under their belt at this point. Delaware has wins over 3 bad teams. That URI loss, even though we know now that they are a solid team, is going to come back to bite UD at the end of the season.

MR. CHICKEN
October 7th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Shout out to Towson for having as many non football bull**** lines/markings on their field as possible xeyebrowx

.....ER........UH..........UMMM..........FIELD.... .SURROUNDED BAH TRACK......xthumbsdownx.........BRAWK!

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Towson is for real. Wrote it here 3 weeks ago. Bet against them. They will break your heart. Flacco should be on the short list for Payton award.xpeacex

WestCoastAggie
October 7th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Another question is will the CAA get more seeds than the MVFC? If both teams win out, Elon and JMU will be seeded, along with both XDSU's from the MVFC.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Another question is will the CAA get more seeds than the MVFC? If both teams win out, Elon and JMU will be seeded, along with both XDSU's from the MVFC.

I do not think this will happen. My reason for that is, let's say you take these 4 teams and put them as seeds. Now you've got the following problem:

The winner of JSU/KSU at the end will get a seed.
----If JSU wins, they will have the "good" NCAT loss and recovered to go on a 10 game win streak to end the season
----If KSU wins, they will have the "good" GaSU loss (FBS) and recovered to go on a 10 game win streak to end the season
The winner of the SoCon, likely Wofford OR ETSU, will get a seed
The winner of the Big Sky, likely EWU, ISUo, and/or UC-Davis will get a seed
---EWU and ISUo do not play each other
---EWU: NAU, WSU, UC-Davis, and a FBS Loss to Washington St
---ISUo: GFCC, NAU, UC-Davis, WSU, and a FBS loss to California
---UC-D: SJSU (FBS), ISUo, UM, EWU, NAU, and a FBS loss to #9 Stanford
The winner of the Southland, likely McNeese, will get a seed as they beat NSU and avoid SHSU

Assuming EWU and ISUo win out, and McNeese, Wofford/ETSU, KSU/JSU win their conferences as well, you will have 9 teams with a resume that is deserving of a seed. I believe ISUo will have a better reason for a seed over EWU due to who they played, but EWU is a "household name" and the committee could make a push for both teams to get it. My seeds NOT poll, going into this week, are as follows:

1: NDSU
2: Elon
3: EWU/SDSU
4: EWU/KSU/SDSU
5: EWU/KSU/JMU/SDSU
6: JMU/KSU/Wofford
7: JMU/McNeese St/Wofford
8: JSU/McNeese St/Wofford

katss07
October 7th, 2018, 06:00 PM
No, not with the way the CAA schedule is and the other potential seeds set up.

Lets say its a given that the only MVFC teams that get seeded are SDSU and NDSU (although if Illinois St makes a run they could have a shot). Thats 2 seeds right there. Winner of KSU/JSU gets a seed. There we have 3. Winner of the SLC and Big Sky get seeded. That makes 5. So we have 5. Then Wofford (who, even with one slip, should win the SoCon) should get a seed. 6 nearly sure thing seeds without the CAA included.

The only candidates for a seed out of the CAA at this point are
-Maine (would need to win out, including wins over Elon and Towson, which would eliminate the Tigers from seed contention)
-Towson (need to win out, including wins over JMU, Elon and Towson, which would eliminate the Dukes and Black Bears from seed contention).
-Elon (can have one slip up, but wins over Towson or Maine would kill those respective teams).
-JMU (need to win out, including win over Towson, which would eliminate the Tigers from seed contention).

So the way the schedule sets up, it looks like only 2 CAA teams will get a seed. If things get wild, Elon could end up being the only team with a seed. That would require a JMU slip up, which isn’t going to happen. Here is how I see the seeding right now.

1. NDSU
2. Elon/EWU
3. Elon/EWU/KSU
4. Elon/EWU/KSU
5. SDSU/Wofford/JMU/KSU
6. SDSU/Wofford/JMU
7. Wofford/SLC Champ/JSU
8. SLC Champ/JSU

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I definitely see XDSUs, Elon and JMU as possibly the top-4 seeds. Than you'll have the Big Sky winner, Southland winner and Wofford. That final seed could come down to either JSU/KSU, Towson, ISUr, EWU/ISU non-Big Sky winner.

With EWU getting into #3 this week likely, I would have to believe SDSU or JMU is getting that 5 seed as of right now.

WestCoastAggie
October 7th, 2018, 06:09 PM
With EWU getting into #3 this week likely, I would have to believe SDSU or JMU is getting that 5 seed as of right now.

That is true.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I do not think this will happen. My reason for that is, let's say you take these 4 teams and put them as seeds. Now you've got the following problem:

The winner of JSU/KSU at the end will get a seed.
----If JSU wins, they will have the "good" NCAT loss and recovered to go on a 10 game win streak to end the season
----If KSU wins, they will have the "good" GaSU loss (FBS) and recovered to go on a 10 game win streak to end the season
The winner of the SoCon, likely Wofford OR ETSU, will get a seed
The winner of the Big Sky, likely EWU, ISUo, and/or UC-Davis will get a seed
---EWU and ISUo do not play each other
---EWU: NAU, WSU, UC-Davis, and a FBS Loss to Washington St
---ISUo: GFCC, NAU, UC-Davis, WSU, and a FBS loss to California
---UC-D: SJSU (FBS), ISUo, UM, EWU, NAU, and a FBS loss to #9 Stanford
The winner of the Southland, likely McNeese, will get a seed as they beat NSU and avoid SHSU

Assuming EWU and ISUo win out, and McNeese, Wofford/ETSU, KSU/JSU win their conferences as well, you will have 9 teams with a resume that is deserving of a seed. I believe ISUo will have a better reason for a seed over EWU due to who they played, but EWU is a "household name" and the committee could make a push for both teams to get it. My seeds NOT poll, going into this week, are as follows:

1: NDSU
2: Elon
3: EWU/SDSU
4: EWU/KSU/SDSU
5: EWU/KSU/JMU/SDSU
6: JMU/KSU/Wofford
7: JMU/McNeese St/Wofford
8: JSU/McNeese St/Wofford

Unpopular opinion, but if Wofford and Kennesaw are both 10-1, Wofford would deserve a higher seed. Socon is lightyears better than the Big South, and though a win against Jacksonville State would be impressive, Wofford with an undefeated Socon record would be a better overall resume.

katss07
October 7th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Probably JMU. A home loss to Elon probably means more than an away loss to the 6 time champs and number one team.