PDA

View Full Version : Respect from Michigan to Appalachian State

KAUMASS
March 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=23758.

Sorry, I do not know how to link the website...

FYI..
I was on Michigan's football website and the article for the opening day game against Appalachian had great respect for our FCS brother and reigning champ. After watching App. State live in person in Chattanooga against UMass, I give Appalachian a fighting chance against Michigan. The experience Armenti Edwards gained last season, especially in the playoffs will be immeasurable against a team like Michigan. He is the real deal, even for a skinny kid. He can take a hit as well. I felt UMass's squad last year had better all around athletes all around than in
'98 when they won the championship. Appalachian last year was so strong in all phases, especially special teams. It was impressive to watch them play.
Michigan will be a stiff test no doubt, but if Appalachian has a team like last year, it will be a game. My other reasoning is this...New Hampshire defeats Northwestern soundly, Northwestern gave Michigan a good game for almost 3 quarters..After watching UMass play UNH twice last year, I feel Appalachian would have beaten UNH by 10-17 points.

Stick it to Michigan and I will be routing for you guys!!xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
March 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Someone outside of the FCS got it right...

The Division I football classifications formerly known as I-A and I-AA are now Division I Bowl Subdivision (FBS - formerly I-A) and Division I Championship Subdivision (FCS - formerly I-AA). The 16-team FCS playoffs are officially known as the NCAA Division I Football Championship.
Many more, read the article. Props to the authors, David Ablauf, Bruce Madej (734) 763-4423. xtwocentsx

proasu89
March 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM

FYI..
I was on Michigan's football website and the article for the opening day game against Appalachian had great respect for our FCS brother and reigning champ. After watching App. State live in person in Chattanooga against UMass, I give Appalachian a fighting chance against Michigan. The experience Armenti Edwards gained last season, especially in the playoffs will be immeasurable against a team like Michigan. He is the real deal, even for a skinny kid. He can take a hit as well. I felt UMass's squad last year had better all around athletes all around than in
'98 when they won the championship. Appalachian last year was so strong in all phases, especially special teams. It was impressive to watch them play.
Michigan will be a stiff test no doubt, but if Appalachian has a team like last year, it will be a game. My other reasoning is this...New Hampshire defeats Northwestern soundly, Northwestern gave Michigan a good game for almost 3 quarters..After watching UMass play UNH twice last year, I feel Appalachian would have beaten UNH by 10-17 points.

xthumbsupx KA, thanks for your kind words and respect. They mean a little more coming from a fan of a title contender. In regards to the article, it was probably written by someone within the athletic dept. (SID) trying to play us up to keep the natives appeased. Thanks should also be given to the Big Blue posters who have come to the MMB bearing no ill will or condescending remarks. Let all of the Mountaineer faithful show the same respect to our opponents who fill our schedule when we are in a bindxpeacex

appfan2008
March 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM
that was a real nice little bit of info i liked it

Mr. C
March 27th, 2007, 10:40 PM
The information that was presented was courtesy of the App State Sports Information Department. But it was nice to see Michigan show some respect to an FCS team.

GoGuins
March 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM
In regards to the article, it was probably written by someone within the athletic dept. (SID) trying to play us up to keep the natives appeased.

You're 100% right on that one

GoGuins
March 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM

FYI..

Oh boy, here we go again. What many don't know is when Michigan played NW last year there were 40+ mph winds/rain and Michigan played it safe and ran all day and held NW to -14 yds rushing. Terrible conditions for football.

IMO ASU will be right there with Michigan for a qtr, maybe a qtr & a half then the depth and experience of Michigan will overcome ASU.

Appstate29
March 28th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Oh boy, here we go again. What many don't know is when Michigan played NW last year there were 40+ mph winds/rain and Michigan played it safe and ran all day and held NW to -14 yds rushing. Terrible conditions for football.

IMO ASU will be right there with Michigan for a qtr, maybe a qtr & a half then the depth and experience of Michigan will overcome ASU.

That is...until Michigan runs into the unstoppable force known as Armanti Edwards. Whatever scrubs they got back in the secondary will immediately be overwhelmed. Michigan is a great program, so I say they hang with the National Champs for 2 1/2 even 3 quarters before we pull away. Damn fine game though.

March 28th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Gotta excuse GoBlueGuins :p because he can't break away from his FBS bias. In fact that seems to be a trend among all YSU folk. When they play ohio state I really wonder how many YSU supposed fans will actually be stifling cheers for the buckeyes. And YSU folk wonder why the rest of the FCS nation look at them quizzically...

JoeNeck90
March 28th, 2007, 02:49 AM
That's not respect, that's a disclaimer. We respect you, they don't and they won't.

Hurt Henne!!!xthumbsupx

AppMan
March 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
My other reasoning is this...New Hampshire defeats Northwestern soundly, Northwestern gave Michigan a good game for almost 3 quarters..After watching UMass play UNH twice last year, I feel Appalachian would have beaten UNH by 10-17 points.

Speaking of New Hampshire, we attempted to schedule those guys this year and their reply was, in a nutshell, "call us back after that quarterback graduates."

GoGuins
March 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM
That is...until Michigan runs into the unstoppable force known as Armanti Edwards. Whatever scrubs they got back in the secondary will immediately be overwhelmed. Michigan is a great program, so I say they hang with the National Champs for 2 1/2 even 3 quarters before we pull away. Damn fine game though.

I have to say I like your optimism & confidencexthumbsupx

GoGuins
March 28th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Gotta excuse GoBlueGuins :p because he can't break away from his FBS bias. In fact that seems to be a trend among all YSU folk. When they play ohio state I really wonder how many YSU supposed fans will actually be stifling cheers for the buckeyes. And YSU folk wonder why the rest of the FCS nation look at them quizzically...

I like that name, maybe I'll change my screenname:p Bias? just being realistic & honest. We're not talking about a bottom feeder Big Ten team here. Michigan will be top 3 in many national polls before the season

You're right, judging by all the Ohio State apparel I see at YSU games, I think many "YSU" fans will be secretly cheering for the Hairless Nuts on gameday

GaSouthern
March 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I think everyone forgets that Armani Edawards almost single-handedly kept GSU in the game with all of his turn overs?!?

89Hen
March 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Speaking of New Hampshire, we attempted to schedule those guys this year and their reply was, in a nutshell, "call us back after that quarterback graduates."
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

89Hen
March 28th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Bias? just being realistic & honest. We're not talking about a bottom feeder Big Ten team here. Michigan will be top 3 in many national polls before the season
Agreed. Rooting for AppSt is one thing, predicting a win is silly. xcoffeex

The Moody1
March 28th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I think everyone forgets that Armani Edawards almost single-handedly kept GSU in the game with all of his turn overs?!?

Armanti did have a bad day, and we still won. Much better to have one bad day and win than to stink for the entire year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM

They had that responce at the ready because that's the one they've been hearing the last couple years.xsmiley_wix

boonedocks
March 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM
They had that responce at the ready because that's the one they've been hearing the last couple years.xsmiley_wix

Nice. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I dont think we can win but i certainly think we can do well and i dont see anything wrong with believing that!

SoCon48
March 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM

FYI..

Good grief, that first UMass drive last December, I thought, oh hell, we're in a heck of a mess this time. it just looked way too easy for UMass.

SoCon48
March 28th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Doubt that will happen again this year or next or the next. The kid was a freshman.
He got over it and you will too.

james_lawfirm
March 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Now, wait a minute. I think GSU had something to do with the quality of game I saw in Statesboro. For whatever reason, it may have been the best game they played all year. And, as for Armanti's turnovers, so what? He has learned a bunch from all of last year, that game included. I also remember a fierce hit Armanti laid on the GSU linebacker for a TD that knocked the LB's helmet off. No fumble there.

It seemed to me that as the game wore on, and Armanti took hit after hit, he just became more focused and determined. He did engineer the winning drives in OT.

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Good grief, that first UMass drive last December, I thought, oh hell, we're in a heck of a mess this time. it just looked way too easy for UMass.

The first drive was an excellent welcoming statement by UMass, but as any good teams do, App. State made adjustments quickly. App. State special teams and their 6-7 minute 4th quarter drive won the game for them. Armenti's fumble on the option on that 4 quarter drive bounced right back to App. State. What could have been..

I hope the Michigan game happens in cool weather as that will help keep the rotation factor down and help App. St. Michigan is a solid 3-4 deep per position plus fresh special teams guys where App. St. will be 1-2 solid and a lot of starters that may have to play special teams, pending depth. When I played against a 1-A team in hot weather, we were usually cooked by midway 3rd quarter. We were looking for a breather and they would send in a guy fresh looking for playing time who would be a bat out of hell and just as good as the starter. The next series there would be another fresh lineman against you. They would just wear you down. 20 full scholarships difference, almost another full offensive and defensive team all together. Heck, Albany beat Delaware last year with only 20-25 scholarships on their whole team!! Ditto for Central Conn. State against Georgia Southern..Georgia Southern was off a bit last year, but they didn't lose many games by alot of points. ( I wouldn't want to be Georgia's Southerns opening opponent in 2007 as they will be sending a message that 2006 was a fluke. I have picked Georgia Southern to be in the FCS 16 team field at the end of the year-time for another thread on that issue) If App. State is a good as last year and they get through camp without any serious injuries, they will give Michigan a game. The odds favor Michigan of course, but it is the first game of the season! I know App. State will show up ready to play and will play Michigan better than any MAC team..If Michigan isn't ready or a bit lax, you never know. AGS..

griz37
March 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Hurt Henne!!!xthumbsupx

Wow what a classy guy. xsmhx

As a Michigan fan I hope the boys from Ann Arbor win 86-0, BUT I don't want any Appy players to get hurt.

Black Saturday
March 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM

As a Michigan fan I hope the boys from Ann Arbor win 86-0, BUT I don't want any Appy players to get hurt.

As an APP fan I hope we meet the Griz in the playoffs.xnodx

CharlestonAppFan
March 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Wow what a classy FCS brother we have here. I can't wait until App plays Montana....................in about 5 more years when Montana makes the playoffs again. xlolx xlolx :) xrotatehx :D xnodx

griz37
March 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
As an APP fan I hope we meet the Griz in the playoffs.xnodx

I hope the Griz meet Appy in the playoffs too. Thats why I don't want Edwards or any Mountaineers hurt. That way if the Griz win we will know they deserved it.

BigApp
March 28th, 2007, 01:19 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-7100.gif

james_lawfirm
March 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM
The first drive was an excellent welcoming statement by UMass, but as any good teams do, App. State made adjustments quickly. App. State special teams and their 6-7 minute 4th quarter drive won the game for them. Armenti's fumble on the option on that 4 quarter drive bounced right back to App. State. What could have been..

I hope the Michigan game happens in cool weather as that will help keep the rotation factor down and help App. St. Michigan is a solid 3-4 deep per position plus fresh special teams guys where App. St. will be 1-2 solid and a lot of starters that may have to play special teams, pending depth. When I played against a 1-A team in hot weather, we were usually cooked by midway 3rd quarter. We were looking for a breather and they would send in a guy fresh looking for playing time who would be a bat out of hell and just as good as the starter. The next series there would be another fresh lineman against you. They would just wear you down. 20 full scholarships difference, almost another full offensive and defensive team all together. Heck, Albany beat Delaware last year with only 20-25 scholarships on their whole team!! Ditto for Central Conn. State against Georgia Southern..Georgia Southern was off a bit last year, but they didn't lose many games by alot of points. ( I wouldn't want to be Georgia's Southerns opening opponent in 2007 as they will be sending a message that 2006 was a fluke. I have picked Georgia Southern to be in the FCS 16 team field at the end of the year-time for another thread on that issue) If App. State is a good as last year and they get through camp without any serious injuries, they will give Michigan a game. The odds favor Michigan of course, but it is the first game of the season! I know App. State will show up ready to play and will play Michigan better than any MAC team..If Michigan isn't ready or a bit lax, you never know. AGS..

Agree with everything here, with one exception. You overestimate Ga. So. You just cannot change head coaches as often as you change your tires and expect excellence. I wish them the best, but this HC will have some hard peddling to do to improve on last seasons' 3 - 8 record. If Ga.So. fans won't crucify him for a similar season this year, they may be OK next year ('08). Furman, Wofford, and maybe even The Citadel will have better season records this year, IMO.

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Agree with everything here, with one exception. You overestimate Ga. So. You just cannot change head coaches as often as you change your tires and expect excellence. I wish them the best, but this HC will have some hard peddling to do to improve on last seasons' 3 - 8 record. If Ga.So. fans won't crucify him for a similar season this year, they may be OK next year ('08). Furman, Wofford, and maybe even The Citadel will have better season records this year, IMO.

Just a gut feeling..UMass was 3-8 in '97 and changed head coaches and won it all in '98..you never know..

Tailbone
March 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I hope the Griz meet Appy in the playoffs too. Thats why I don't want Edwards or any Mountaineers hurt. That way if the Griz win we will know they deserved it.

Not if.
When.

JoeNeck90
March 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Relax. If you don't win, it's always nice to get in some good licks. That gets a little respect. I should have been more specific. Out for a few plays is always good. I guess guys on defense in college football aren't trying to hurt someone(yeah, right) because then they would have no class.

Tailbone
March 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
......... I can't wait until App plays Montana....................in about 5 more years when Montana makes the playoffs again. xlolx xlolx :) xrotatehx :D xnodx

Haven't missed the play-offs in 14 seasons, don't know why you think it'd be 5 years before we make the play-offs again.
When's the last time Appy missed the post season?

2004 xlolx xlolx

Oh, maybe you meant the next time Appy makes the play-offs. :D

CharlestonAppFan
March 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Haven't missed the play-offs in 14 seasons, don't know why you think it'd be 5 years before we make the play-offs again.
When's the last time Appy missed the post season?

2004 xlolx xlolx

Oh, maybe you meant the next time Appy makes the play-offs. :D

Yeah your right......oh wait..when's the last time you guys won 2 National Championships in a row? :D

Relax, not trying to go the smack route....just wanted to throw a jab at grizzer for stating he would rather pull for the enemy FBS team than a FCS team. xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
March 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Just a gut feeling..UMass was 3-8 in '97 and changed head coaches and won it all in '98..you never know..

True. The problem with Ga. So. is that everything down there seems to be in turmoil. This is the second year in a row with a new head coach. The HC two years ago was fired after making the playoffs, but losing in the first round. Van Gorder came in last year and trashed the option attack, which seemed to me to work just fine. Then, he wandered off to be an asst. coach with the Falcons. Apparently, he could not stand the pressure. I don't think folks at Ga. So. or their alums will miss him. I don't know what offense the new HC is going to run. Whatever it is, it will be better in a couple of years.

Further, given the history of the program and the deep traditions (like the 6 Nat'l Championships), I'll guarantee that the alumni are just pissed about everything, and will have very little patience with anything short of a playoff-bound team. All these things together just seem to me to spell "losing season" in '07.

Truth is, except when they are playing ASU, I'll be pulling for the Eagles. I just think they are going to have their hands full this year.

bobbythekidd
March 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM
True. The problem with Ga. So. is that everything down there seems to be in turmoil. This is the second year in a row with a new head coach. The HC two years ago was fired after making the playoffs, but losing in the first round. Van Gorder came in last year and trashed the option attack, which seemed to me to work just fine. Then, he wandered off to be an asst. coach with the Falcons. Apparently, he could not stand the pressure. I don't think folks at Ga. So. or their alums will miss him. I don't know what offense the new HC is going to run. Whatever it is, it will be better in a couple of years.

Further, given the history of the program and the deep traditions (like the 6 Nat'l Championships), I'll guarantee that the alumni are just pissed about everything, and will have very little patience with anything short of a playoff-bound team. All these things together just seem to me to spell "losing season" in '07.

Truth is, except when they are playing ASU, I'll be pulling for the Eagles. I just think they are going to have their hands full this year.
We will have a winning season this year, mark my words. I just don't know how winning it will be.

Col Hogan
March 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Wow what a classy FCS brother we have here. I can't wait until App plays Montana....................in about 5 more years when Montana makes the playoffs again. xlolx xlolx :) xrotatehx :D xnodx

Shots fired, Man down!!!

Col Hogan
March 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
If App. State is a good as last year and they get through camp without any serious injuries, they will give Michigan a game. The odds favor Michigan of course, but it is the first game of the season! I know App. State will show up ready to play and will play Michigan better than any MAC team..If Michigan isn't ready or a bit lax, you never know. AGS..

Got to agree with my UMass brother here...ASU will be the underdog...but has a good chance to bite Michigan in the ass and beat them. If anyone in FCS can beat a top five FBS team, ASU is the team... I for one will be rooting for you all the way.

Tailbone
March 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Relax, not trying to go the smack route....just wanted to throw a jab at grizzer for stating he would rather pull for the enemy FBS team than a FCS team. xthumbsupx

I know, just yankin' your chain too.

dennisdent
March 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM

KAU, UMass was 2-9 in 97--and blown out (33-8) by the 1-10 and final BU team.

The 98 team showed that with the right coach and players, a quick turn around is possible...

AppMan
March 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Touche!

GoGuins
March 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hurt Henne!!!xthumbsupx

What else would I expect from a Neck fanxrolleyesx

GoGuins
March 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Gimme some of that stuff you're smokin cause it must be good!xnutsx

Mich Griz
March 29th, 2007, 05:54 AM
As long as Lloyd Carr is on the Michigan sidelines App St has a chance. Lloyd is Michigan's version of John Cooper. In fact Grand Valley could give Michigan a game as long as Lloyd is under the headset.

GoGuins
March 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM
As long as Lloyd Carr is on the Michigan sidelines App St has a chance. Lloyd is Michigan's version of John Cooper. In fact Grand Valley could give Michigan a game as long as Lloyd is under the headset.

What a way to start my day with a good laughxlolx xlolx xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

griz37
March 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Since this post was made at 4:54am I will just go ahead & assume you were high when you said GVSU could give Michigan a game. xlolx I seem to recall a few years ago a lot of people in Boone had nothing good to say about Jerry Moore, now not a peep.

KAUMASS
March 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM
KAU, UMass was 2-9 in 97--and blown out (33-8) by the 1-10 and final BU team.

The 98 team showed that with the right coach and players, a quick turn around is possible...

Thanks for the refresher, DD..that would make the '97 and '98 seasons the worst and best seasons ever back to back for UMass in the "modern" era..