PDA

View Full Version : 1 p.m. kickoff for football games

JayJ79
October 4th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Do you (and/or your team's fanbase in general) think that having a football game scheduled to kickoff at 1 p.m. on a Saturday is a totally unrealistic and inconvenient scheduling decision?

JayJ79
October 4th, 2018, 10:42 AM
wow, I totally messed this poll up. oops. The question should be "is 1 p.m. an unreasonable time for a football game to start"

veinup
October 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM
1 PM is too late. give me 11 AM.

POD Knows
October 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM
1 PM is too late. give me 11 AM.You Godless Heathen

McNeese72
October 4th, 2018, 10:47 AM
To McNeese fans, it is blasphemy to have day home games. It cuts into our all day tailgating time. Hell, McNeese fans are still bitching about the change implemented years ago changing kickoff times from 7PM to 6PM.

Now, day games on the road are okay. ;)

Doc

Daytripper
October 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Maybe 1 pm games in November. But it's too damn hot in September and October.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Lehigh use to have their home games at 1 before moving them to 12:30 about 7 or 8 years ago. I personally hate the early season 12:30/1 PM games at Goodman Stadium because it's so damn hot.

lionsrking2
October 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Do you (and/or your team's fanbase in general) think that having a football game scheduled to kickoff at 1 p.m. on a Saturday is a totally unrealistic and inconvenient scheduling decision?

Day games are crowd killers in the south. An occasional late afternoon start is fine (3pm or later) but 1 pm is way too early.

ASU33
October 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Our late November games will usually have 1:30pm kicks.

kdinva
October 4th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Until VMI gets off their checkbook and installs lights, should be 12:30 or 1 PM in Lex.....

Panther88
October 4th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Maybe 1 pm games in November. But it's too damn hot in September and October.

Bingo. The gulf coast has no chill in Sept/Oct.

ASU33
October 4th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Bingo. The gulf coast has no chill in Sept/Oct.

Exactly. All of our games are usually 6pm kicks until the mid October. That's when we get the 3:30 and 4:00pm kicks.

CHIP72
October 4th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Provided there is shade somewhere, 1 PM or even 12 PM game starts aren’t a problem IMO, especially later in the season. A lot of people do think 12 PM is too early to start games but IMO that’s BS. An early game start allows you to do something else in the evening.

The bigger issue schedule-wise is weeknight games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semobison
October 4th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I like 1:00 games. Not so much waiting around. Back when I was in college they were usually at 1. We would go to Chubs around 9:00 then off to tailgate around 10:00- 10:30. Good times!

Iridebikes
October 4th, 2018, 11:49 AM
EWU has all their home games between noon and 2:00 PM. Early afternoon games are great. The afternoon sun can take off some of the chill later in the season. Plenty of tailgating ahead of time and more afterwards. Much prefer early afternoon, especially when compared to an evening game time.

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Night games at Wa-Griz, especially playoff ones, are on a whole other level. Part of it is the novelty of it I think, as we don't have very many of them, and didn't have permanent lights until 2012 or so.

JayJ79
October 4th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Provided there is shade somewhere, 1 PM or even 12 PM game starts aren’t a problem IMO, especially later in the season. A lot of people do think 12 PM is too early to start games but IMO that’s BS. An early game start allows you to do something else in the evening.

are you talking about shade inside the stadium, or out in the tailgate lots?
What if the stadium is a dome? (then being "too hot" isn't ever an issue, as long as the AC is working)

ASU33
October 4th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Most schools in the deep South stay away from 1:00pm games until late October or November

Gil Dobie
October 4th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Bison games that start at 2:30, are about right for a 3.5 hour drive one way, then drive back in the evening. 1pm is just a little early, cuts into tailgating too.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Most schools in the deep South stay away from 1:00pm games until late October or November

This. You risk heat stroke for the players and the fans playing in 100 degree weather.

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2018, 02:06 PM
At A&T, our games towards the latter half of the season start at 1 PM. For homecoming (GHOE), that’s good because it’s a party atmosphere from Thursday- Sunday and having the game early gives us time to leave the campus by 6:30 to rest up and get ready for the evening’s festivities.

UNHWildcat18
October 4th, 2018, 02:15 PM
UNH has 12pm vs holy cross (the students will be going to breakfast around 1030-1) so having games at 12pm is way too early

330 the next two games and
1pm the last two games.

if in a normal year you have 5 home games I'd like to see
1 at 6 or 7pm
3 at 3-4pm
1 at 1pm

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Like most have said, depending on the location and time of year, 1 PM is just too hot. For us, generally that means that September games need to start later in the day...ideally 6ish. October is better and can start whenever it needs to be, but usually afternoon is fine. November you need to start early enough to be done by the time the sun is going down, so really 1....maybe 2 PM at the absolute latest.
I'm a fan of 6 pm in September, 2 or 3 PM in October, and 1 PM in November, personally. Then again, I don't have much in the way of travel time to/from the stadium.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I'm getting old and I wake up at 7am. It can be a long day waiting for football from 7am to 6pm. Bring on the early games for this far too early bird for my age.

That's one of the best part of the later season, earlier games and then you can go on with your day and not let the game BE your day.

Laker
October 4th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Growing up I always followed the Gophers. They had no lights in Memorial Stadium, so their games started at 1:30, except the last game of the season where they started at 1:00. MSU-Mankato would avoid head to head with them and would kick off at 7:30 except for Homecoming and the last game of the season. Remember that teams played a ten game schedule back then so they didn't start so early or end so late in the fall. Now MSU starts most games at 1:00 except the only night game at 6:00 and Homecoming at 2:00.

I love night games. Even late in the year, the wind usually went down at night so it might be better than an afternoon game.

Hood
October 4th, 2018, 03:59 PM
In 08 our stadium lights were destroyed by Hurricane Gustav, so rationally all games were moved as early as possible. Once the lights were fixed in subsequent seasons there were still an unnecessary amount of 1-3pm games.

There's more night games now, but I hear a lot of the motives behind our scheduling at home hinges on what's going on in Baton Rouge and I don't mean our FCS friends at Southern.

fmftballmgr
October 4th, 2018, 04:02 PM
At Murray they start the games at 6 till October then it is at 1 unless it is HC then it at 3.

I like the early start cause I live 2 hours away. I get up head up. On the evening game I will get doing something lose track of time and have to bust tail up there.

Big Dawg
October 4th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Day games that start before 4pm absolutely suck

dewey
October 4th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Bison games that start at 2:30, are about right for a 3.5 hour drive one way, then drive back in the evening. 1pm is just a little early, cuts into tailgating too.

I have done that drive from MSP to Fargo, watch the game and drive back to MSP too many times as well. It is worth it though.

IMHO 230 is perfect for regular season games at NDSU. However a Friday night semifinal game is also pretty awesome.

Dewey

McNeese72
October 4th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I'm getting old and I wake up at 7am. It can be a long day waiting for football from 7am to 6pm. Bring on the early games for this far too early bird for my age.

That's one of the best part of the later season, earlier games and then you can go on with your day and not let the game BE your day.

That is what all day tailgating is for. Sitting around visiting with friends, eating and drinking, and watching football games on TV and online.

Doc

Pard4Life
October 4th, 2018, 05:01 PM
1PM is the perfect game time... over by 4PM, head to dinner, then catch the big games on TV at prime time.

Lafayette does 6PM games mostly. It's ok. Awful when they had them in November.

Big Dawg
October 4th, 2018, 05:16 PM
In Florida, games that start during the day are ridiculously hot. FAMU had a couple 5pm games in early September and between the heat and typical Florida thunderstorms that occur because of the heat, it just makes sense for us to play at night. Our game two weeks ago started at 6pm and it made a huge difference with teampertures of 95 degrees.

This week we have a 4pm game and the forecasted high is 92. It’s Homecoming and we usually play that game during the day...but Homecoming is also typically held during late October.

CHIP72
October 4th, 2018, 05:29 PM

The bigger issue schedule-wise is weeknight games.

are you talking about shade inside the stadium, or out in the tailgate lots?
What if the stadium is a dome? (then being "too hot" isn't ever an issue, as long as the AC is working)

Shade in the stadium.

CHIP72
October 4th, 2018, 05:34 PM
1PM is the perfect game time... over by 4PM, head to dinner, then catch the big games on TV at prime time.

Lafayette does 6PM games mostly. It's ok. Awful when they had them in November.

I think Lafayette only does the 6 PM games early in the season due to heat concerns. (One bad thing about those 6 PM games is the sun glare is bad in the home team/south stands for part of the game before the sun sets.) I agree that later in the season earlier start times are better.

One good thing about those 6 PM Lafayette home games (and Lehigh's lack of lights at Goodman Stadium) is that there usually is at least one opportunity per season in September to attend a Lehigh home game at 12:30 PM and a Lafayette home game at 6 PM. You can even grab a quick dinner in between games. I've done that probably a half-dozen times at least.

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Shade in the stadium.

We have a tree in our stadium, does that count?

TheKingpin28
October 4th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Need those 230 games so I can get my sleep, watch my Swans at 9am, as well as see the crew up in Fargo.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

neverobeyed
October 4th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Makes it very difficult for families - Saturday mornings and early afternoons are booked solid with kids' soccer, school activities and the like in the Fall.

And it hurts tailgating.

DFW HOYA
October 4th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Tailgating is a foreign concept when there is no place left to do so.

clenz
October 4th, 2018, 08:09 PM
I’ve got a real strong feeling this thread didn’t go over lien Jay wanted.

“Inside” reason for starting a thread from a topic on UNIs board that Jay didn’t seem to grasp complaints of.

As I said. This really didn’t go how he would’ve wanted it too

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Tailgating is a foreign concept when there is no place left to do so.

Thats gotta suck.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Makes it very difficult for families - Saturday mornings and early afternoons are booked solid with kids' soccer, school activities and the like in the Fall.

And it hurts tailgating.

Soccer needs to be a spring sport for this exact reason.

Gate83
October 4th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Big 1 PM fan for Northeast games. Next weekend we'll be in the lot early for Cornell at 1 & will stay planted in the same spot for hockey vs. UNH at 7. The best kind of double dip, where you don't have to move...

McNeeserocket
October 4th, 2018, 10:14 PM

If McNeese scheduled games anytime before 6pm, about half their fan base would be dead from heat stroke or permanently disabled from severe heat exhaustion. It is now the first week of October and day temperatures are still in the 90s with 90% or higher humidity. Night games will only begin to have PLEASANT temperatures by November. It won’t be cold until maybe late late November. When/if it gets cold, that’s when our fan base loves to come to night games as we consider it perfect football weather!

LSU with their 100,000 plus fans would not attend day games in Baton Rouge until late October and even then TV would have to pay a lot of money to LSU to offset the lose of fan attendance.

ngineer
October 4th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Lehigh use to have their home games at 1 before moving them to 12:30 about 7 or 8 years ago. I personally hate the early season 12:30/1 PM games at Goodman Stadium because it's so damn hot.

I think the move was strictly at the request of SE2-TV.

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Soccer needs to be a spring sport for this exact reason.

I'm sure it's worse up at the Dakota schools, but we can't play soccer outside until at least mid-April around here. Not sure how well that'd work.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2018, 11:48 PM
1pm is pretty early. Earlier than that is horrible. I hate waking up at 9am to watch football because of the time difference. I've liked NDSU's 2:30 games which are 12:30 for me. That's pretty reasonable. Even more of a fan of night games.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 06:48 AM
I'm sure it's worse up at the Dakota schools, but we can't play soccer outside until at least mid-April around here. Not sure how well that'd work.This isn't Europe where it was meant to be played from September-June with July and August for random friendlies and offseason.

It sucks being October/November and trying to play outside on a true grass surface. This is why artificial surfaces are popular since you can just brush it off with a power sweeper.

JayJ79
October 5th, 2018, 07:15 AM
I’ve got a real strong feeling this thread didn’t go over lien Jay wanted.

“Inside” reason for starting a thread from a topic on UNIs board that Jay didn’t seem to grasp complaints of.

As I said. This really didn’t go how he would’ve wanted it too
How I wanted it to go, was to get the opinions of other fanbases about 1 p.m. starts. And it accomplished that.
Currently the poll sits at 62% of responders saying that 1 p.m. is an acceptable time for a football game to kickoff.
With the main reason against being day games being too hot in southern climates.

So I think it has gone just fine.

uni88
October 5th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Soccer needs to be a spring sport for this exact reason.Youth soccer is a fall and spring sport. At the HS level boys soccer is in the fall and girls in the spring with club play the opposite. You don't adjust youth sports schedules to accommodate college football.

GAD
October 5th, 2018, 07:43 AM
It wouldn't work in this part of the country Its just to hot in Sept and Oct

ElonFirefighter
October 5th, 2018, 08:06 AM
its early but doable. I live 2 hours from Elon in Charlotte. Add in 4 hours for Tailgating (min) a 1 PM game means hitting the road 7 at the latest. Usually shoot 6-630. If I lived further 1 pm games would be harder to properly do

ElCid
October 5th, 2018, 08:23 AM
It really depends. You do not want to be at a game at 1PM in Charleston over the labor day weekend. WAAAAY too hot and humid in the low country to be playing or watching, especially around the third or fourth quarter. Now, in mid Oct or Nov, no problem, or rather not as big of a problem. Our visitor's side gets pretty hot even in Oct during the afternoons. I like night games though. 7 pm is a great time to start. Our two big weekends usually have 2PM starts but are in Oct and sometimes Nov. But I would rather be in a sweatshirt and be watching with it at 40-50 degrees given a choice. That's football weather! I went to a VMI game a few years ago and it was in the 30s with the windchill. Blanket time. As far as tailgating goes, it doesn't matter.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM
I personally think the time frame some in this thread has posted is wrong.

Early games are terrible because of heat, but that pretty much subsides by late September/early October. Wofford's strategy is to play our games at night or on the road at an FBS team with hotter record. At Wyoming, apparently they were complaining that it was "unseasonably" 80 degrees up there. It was a dry heat, which is much better than a humid heat (I wasn't at the game, but I've been in the dry heat of death valley/the southwest and I take the dry heat every day). Heck, some said it was possibly an equalizer for Wyoming's altitude: Wyoming players not used to the heat, Wofford players not used to the altitude.

Panther88
October 5th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I cannot lie. :( One year we scheduled a game @ 11am, in Houston-TX, on a Sat where air temps were ~92-94 degrees, thundershowers were near so the humidity was rocking 83-84+% at times. Coach and staff called it the "man-up" game, intentionally moved the game time up to 11am, and thought our conditioning wast greater than our opponents. We won the the game true enough but we didn't account for the fans in the stands who would be miserable, especially the (opponents) elderly, who were passing out and were uncomfortable from heat exhaustion.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Youth soccer is a fall and spring sport. At the HS level boys soccer is in the fall and girls in the spring with club play the opposite. You don't adjust youth sports schedules to accommodate college football.That is wrong. Boys and girls are both in the fall here in Minnesota.

uni88
October 5th, 2018, 11:18 AM
That is wrong. Boys and girls are both in the fall here in southern Canada.

Fyp

MSUBobcat
October 5th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Obviously, time of year and location are major factors in this debate for many of the posts. Those of us in the northern parts of the country clearly do not want a 6 pm game in early November, but during the early season, sure. It's a no-brainer that the South doesn't want to play in the afternoon heat of September and even into October, but may be acceptable in later October and November. That's kind of a DUH. I'm not sure if that was the original intent of the question, but I read it as more of a question regarding logistics for travel and/or tailgating so we're talking apples-to-apples, as clearly the North and South are going to be on opposite ends of the comfort spectrum at different times of the year. If the question was in fact, hey southerners, how do you feel about sweating your balls off and northerners, how do you feel about freezing them off..... well... I don't think that's much of a question and if you're okay with losing your testicles to watch a game, I question your sanity and/or intelligence.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 11:39 AM
FypNah, that's North Dakota

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I think purely from a "timeframe" perspective, ignoring various weather considerations which would be different around the country, 1 PM is probably about ideal. It might impact some of the people that like to show up early and spend hours tailgating beforehand, but for travel to and from a game, 1 is going to give most people enough time. I know that if I lived, say, 2 hours away from Macomb and wanted to come back for a game, it would be much easier for me to hit the road around 9ish, get to town around 11, grab some early lunch somewhere, then head to the game. Game would be done around 4-5, can get dinner, then drive home and be back before it gets late.

I went to our game at Illinois earlier this season (~3 hours away), and it was around a 6:30 PM kickoff, if I remember correctly. It was ~1:30 AM when I finally got home.
Going to Illinois State this weekend though (~2 hour drive)...game starts at 2 PM, so I can leave here around 9-10 AM and have plenty of time for food when I get there, game will be over around 5-6, and I'll get home by 8 PM.

MSUBobcat
October 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM
I think purely from a "timeframe" perspective, ignoring various weather considerations which would be different around the country, 1 PM is probably about ideal. It might impact some of the people that like to show up early and spend hours tailgating beforehand, but for travel to and from a game, 1 is going to give most people enough time. I know that if I lived, say, 2 hours away from Macomb and wanted to come back for a game, it would be much easier for me to hit the road around 9ish, get to town around 11, grab some early lunch somewhere, then head to the game. Game would be done around 4-5, can get dinner, then drive home and be back before it gets late.

I went to our game at Illinois earlier this season (~3 hours away), and it was around a 6:30 PM kickoff, if I remember correctly. It was ~1:30 AM when I finally got home.
Going to Illinois State this weekend though (~2 hour drive)...game starts at 2 PM, so I can leave here around 9-10 AM and have plenty of time for food when I get there, game will be over around 5-6, and I'll get home by 8 PM.

That's my thoughts also. I know some have said they need more time for tailgating but honestly.... I don't think most people want to see me on a 6 hour bender AND THEN going to the game. I can have my mind heavily altered by the 1 pm kickoff without much difficulty and, in fact, usually gotta tell myself to take it easy. I know people say you don't gotta drink to tailgate, but... yes, yes you do. I like to party.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Now let me give everyone a scenario that Jay is leaving out

You, as a program, have spend decades building 4pm as your kick time.

You have a game this weekend. A big game. Literally the only game your program has labeled “premium” on the season. It’s the single most expensive ticket for the year (and it’s not family weekend or home coming)

You decide to move your game from 4pm to 1pm because you decide that putting your 7pm volleyball match behind the ESPN+ paywall is more important than tradition and building a real premium atmosphere

Would that be “acceptable” to your fan base?

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2018, 12:58 PM

You have a game this weekend. A big game. Literally the only game your program has labeled “premium” on the season. It’s the single most expensive ticket for the year (and it’s not family weekend or home coming)

You decide to move your game from 4pm to 1pm because you decide that putting your 7pm volleyball match behind the ESPN+ paywall is more important than tradition and building a real premium atmosphere

Plot twist: there are only about 2000 people in my team's fanbase, if you even want to call it that.

(but otherwise no)

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Ah...see that changes things. I think 4 PM is an odd time to have a game kickoff with regards to when people eat, although I suppose if there's enough food options in the UNIDome, it's less of an issue. If they've been doing 4 PM kickoffs for a long time already, then a lot of fans likely have a routine that they're in...they drive in at a certain time, go eat/drink afterwards at the same place, etc. If the fans are used to one thing and it's switched without a really good reason, then that could mess up some of the regulars' schedules.

GAD
October 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I cannot lie. :( One year we scheduled a game @ 11am, in Houston-TX, on a Sat where air temps were ~92-94 degrees, thundershowers were near so the humidity was rocking 83-84+% at times. Coach and staff called it the "man-up" game, intentionally moved the game time up to 11am, and thought our conditioning wast greater than our opponents. We won the the game true enough but we didn't account for the fans in the stands who would be miserable, especially the (opponents) elderly, who were passing out and were uncomfortable from heat exhaustion.
I remember:(

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Ah...see that changes things. I think 4 PM is an odd time to have a game kickoff with regards to when people eat, although I suppose if there's enough food options in the UNIDome, it's less of an issue. If they've been doing 4 PM kickoffs for a long time already, then a lot of fans likely have a routine that they're in...they drive in at a certain time, go eat/drink afterwards at the same place, etc. If the fans are used to one thing and it's switched without a really good reason, then that could mess up some of the regulars' schedules.
Ah....so the context of the question matters.

Jay knows this, and it's why he left it out. Here's the full reason Jay asked - and purposely worded the questions, and the small number of options, the way he did

98% of UNI home games have kicked off at 4PM for 20+ years. Farley became the head coach in 2001 and he wants 4PM kicks. They have been the primary kick time for UNI home games since then. Before Farley took over UNI played a fair number of night games. Morning and early afternoon kicks at UNI has not been a "thing" for many many decades. So much so that only the older half of the UNI fan base would actually remember them being "the norm".

I can see, to an outsider, why 4 would be a unique kick time. However, Cedar Falls has built itself around it. UNI has long sold itself as the family destination and we have to fight for eyeballs with Iowa and Iowa State. The 4PM kick allows for all family functions, even for almost every out of town family, to get kids functions done in the morning and still get to the game. I can tell you I live 2 miles from a 18 field soccer complex that has thousands of kids at it every Saturday and Sunday, sun up to sun down, April through October. My metro area has 3 or 4 complexes running soccer over the seasons. Couple that with youth football leagues. Dance/gymnastics classes, etc. and you have hundreds to thousands of families that, if they wanted to/normally do go to UNI games can't for early kicks. Cedar Falls doesn't have the same number of people that my metro does, but the same type of set up for youth football and soccer leagues.

It allows for families that don't want to tailgate all day to eat lunch at home and have a nap time for younger kids. Show up at 2:30-3 and find friends that have been tailgating. Grab some food there. Eating at 3-3:30 is pretty sufficient for almost everyone. The UNIDome also has pretty decent selection for concessions. Games are over by 7-7:15. This is where the build in with the city helps.

Ending a game at 7 gives students plenty of time to get back to their dorm/apartment and change/pregame for the bars. It also allows for families to go to one of the plethora of restaurants/bars to eat before going home/to the hotel. It's actually really great to get out of a game at 7 and meet up with your tailgate group at Toads, Mulligans, Becks, The OP, after for some pizza and beers.

Those that live out of town (almost everyone is from Cedar Rapids/Iowa City or Ames/Des Moines area that comes from out of town) are home by 8:30 for the CR/IC area and 9:30-10 for the DSM area if they want to drive home. From a tailgate side of things, you don't have to be in the lot at 7:30-8 AM to get set up and still have 4 hours of actual tailgating. Showing up at 10 or 11 is easy. Allows for a more leisurely morning.

Also, there has been us fighting with Iowa and Iowa State for eyeballs. Iowa is a traditional 11a kick off. Their games are usually done by 2:30. We get a ton of people that do both games and drive to Cedar Falls after the Iowa game. Playing at 4 allows for them to do that. They'll miss part of the first quarter, but not a huge issue. It also allows for people who wanted to watch the Iowa game on TV to do so at home, a bar, or in a tailgate lot. Iowa State is typically a 2:30 kick so not a ton we can do there.

As you can see, the 4PM kick off time for UNI is pretty ideal - though honestly a 6 or 6:30 kick should be looked at being brought back as the primary kick off time. The only weekend that 1pm kick makes sense at UNI is family weekend - for pretty obvious reasons.

So far this season UNI has kicked at 8, 6:30, 4, and 6.

Now, as to why Jay posed the question - it's important to keep in mind this NDSU game is $60 a ticket to get into the UNIDome. It's not homecoming, it's not family weekend. It's literally the only game listed on the schedule as "premium". It's the most expensive game UNI has ever had at home.

UNI has home volleyball games Friday/Saturday this week - the MVC plays Friday/Saturday with travel partners. Volleyball is a 7pm first serve and the MVC has a conference rule of 24 hours between games - so Friday and Saturday at 7p are first serves all over the conference during conference play.

UNI football also has a home football game. This isn't new in Cedar Falls, it happens a lot and UNI has almost always gone 4p kick and 7p serve with a football ticket getting you into the the volleyball game.

For some reason that wasn't going to work this weekend - and maybe at all moving forward because of ESPN+ (?). UNI has every home volleyball game on ESPN3/+/local TV. This hasn't really ever been an issue in the past to do both, but apparently it is now.

Due to the MVC rule of 24 hours between games volleyball can't serve earlier than 7 - but they could serve at 7:30 or 8.

So, rather than play football at the normal 4PM and build an all day atmosphere, like we usually do, the AD picked volleyball over football. The importance of putting volleyball on ESPN+ (not 3...+) took precedence over the single most expensive football ticket UNI has ever sold.

This is why UNI fans are so upset. We billed this game as premium. We made it expensive. Then we put it at a completely messed up time (by UNI standards) all so we could have volleyball play behind a paywall. Also keep in mind a football ticket gets you into the game for free. So those that would have gone home to watch the game on TV now get in free, and since they are in town they can just go.

So, Jay's question should have read

"How would your fanbase react if your AD decided to move your game time to an earlier time that is almost never used all so that volleyball could be broadcast behind a paywall?"

So, I'd like responses based on the real question Jay should have asked

"How would your fanbase react if your AD decided to move your game time to an earlier time that is almost never used all so that volleyball could be broadcast behind a paywall?"

1. Completely okay with it. Who cares? If a player can't adjust to a 1pm kick off they desrve to lose. And if fans don't like it then so be it
2. Find it pretty annoying but have zero impact on attendance
3. Probably going to annoy many and have an impact on attendance
4. My school wouldn't do something like that

POD Knows
October 5th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Jay knows this, and it's why he left it out. Here's the full reason Jay asked - and purposely worded the questions, and the small number of options, the way he did

98% of UNI home games have kicked off at 4PM for 20+ years. Farley became the head coach in 2001 and he wants 4PM kicks. They have been the primary kick time for UNI home games since then. Before Farley took over UNI played a fair number of night games. Morning and early afternoon kicks at UNI has not been a "thing" for many many decades. So much so that only the older half of the UNI fan base would actually remember them being "the norm".

I can see, to an outsider, why 4 would be a unique kick time. However, Cedar Falls has built itself around it. UNI has long sold itself as the family destination and we have to fight for eyeballs with Iowa and Iowa State. The 4PM kick allows for all family functions, even for almost every out of town family, to get kids functions done in the morning and still get to the game. I can tell you I live 2 miles from a 18 field soccer complex that has thousands of kids at it every Saturday and Sunday, sun up to sun down, April through October. My metro area has 3 or 4 complexes running soccer over the seasons. Couple that with youth football leagues. Dance/gymnastics classes, etc. and you have hundreds to thousands of families that, if they wanted to/normally do go to UNI games can't for early kicks. Cedar Falls doesn't have the same number of people that my metro does, but the same type of set up for youth football and soccer leagues.

It allows for families that don't want to tailgate all day to eat lunch at home and have a nap time for younger kids. Show up at 2:30-3 and find friends that have been tailgating. Grab some food there. Eating at 3-3:30 is pretty sufficient for almost everyone. The UNIDome also has pretty decent selection for concessions. Games are over by 7-7:15. This is where the build in with the city helps.

Ending a game at 7 gives students plenty of time to get back to their dorm/apartment and change/pregame for the bars. It also allows for families to go to one of the plethora of restaurants/bars to eat before going home/to the hotel. It's actually really great to get out of a game at 7 and meet up with your tailgate group at Toads, Mulligans, Becks, The OP, after for some pizza and beers.

Those that live out of town (almost everyone is from Cedar Rapids/Iowa City or Ames/Des Moines area that comes from out of town) are home by 8:30 for the CR/IC area and 9:30-10 for the DSM area if they want to drive home. From a tailgate side of things, you don't have to be in the lot at 7:30-8 AM to get set up and still have 4 hours of actual tailgating. Showing up at 10 or 11 is easy. Allows for a more leisurely morning.

Also, there has been us fighting with Iowa and Iowa State for eyeballs. Iowa is a traditional 11a kick off. Their games are usually done by 2:30. We get a ton of people that do both games and drive to Cedar Falls after the Iowa game. Playing at 4 allows for them to do that. They'll miss part of the first quarter, but not a huge issue. It also allows for people who wanted to watch the Iowa game on TV to do so at home, a bar, or in a tailgate lot. Iowa State is typically a 2:30 kick so not a ton we can do there.

As you can see, the 4PM kick off time for UNI is pretty ideal - though honestly a 6 or 6:30 kick should be looked at being brought back as the primary kick off time. The only weekend that 1pm kick makes sense at UNI is family weekend - for pretty obvious reasons.

Now, as to why Jay posed the question - it's important to keep in mind this NDSU game is $60 a ticket to get into the UNIDome. It's not homecoming, it's not family weekend. It's literally the only game listed on the schedule as "premium". It's the most expensive game UNI has ever had at home.

UNI has home volleyball games Friday/Saturday this week - the MVC plays Friday/Saturday with travel partners. Volleyball is a 7pm first serve and the MVC has a conference rule of 24 hours between games - so Friday and Saturday at 7p are first serves all over the conference during conference play.

UNI football also has a home football game. This isn't new in Cedar Falls, it happens a lot and UNI has almost always gone 4p kick and 7p serve with a football ticket getting you into the the volleyball game.

For some reason that wasn't going to work this weekend - and maybe at all moving forward because of ESPN+ (?). UNI has every home volleyball game on ESPN3/+/local TV. This hasn't really ever been an issue in the past to do both, but apparently it is now.

Due to the MVC rule of 24 hours between games volleyball can't serve earlier than 7 - but they could serve at 7:30 or 8.

So, rather than play football at the normal 4PM and build an all day atmosphere, like we usually do, the AD picked volleyball over football. The importance of putting volleyball on ESPN+ (not 3...+) took precedence over the single most expensive football ticket UNI has ever sold.

This is why UNI fans are so upset. We billed this game as premium. We made it expensive. Then we put it at a completely messed up time (by UNI standards) all so we could have volleyball play behind a paywall. Also keep in mind a football ticket gets you into the game for free. So those that would have gone home to watch the game on TV now get in free, and since they are in town they can just go.

1. Completely okay with it. Who cares? If a player can't adjust to a 1pm kick off they desrve to lose. And if fans don't like it then so be it
Wouldn't care, 4:00 p.m. game times suck balls but I get your point about the other Iowa schools and FB.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't care, 4:00 p.m. game times suck balls but I get your point about the other Iowa schools and FB.
This is equivalent to NDSU moving your game from 2:30 to 11 because Volleyball has a first serve time of 5pm

Imagine your AD moving your football game time up 3 hours because your volleyball team has a home game at 5

POD Knows
October 5th, 2018, 03:07 PM
This is equivalent to NDSU moving your game from 2:30 to 11 because Volleyball has a first serve time of 5pm

Imagine your AD moving your football game time up 3 hours because your volleyball team has a home game at 5No, it is not the same because 11 is not 1, 11 a.m. sucks more balls than 4:00 p.m. Also, it is hard to imagine the unimaginable so I can't really relate to your statement. :D

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 03:09 PM
No, it is not the same because 11 is not 1, 11 a.m. sucks more balls than 4:00 p.m. Also, it is hard to imagine the unimaginable so I can't really relate to your statement. :D
So you answered the the corrected poll question while trying to not answer it

"It's unimaginable" that you're AD would do such a thing

Thus it's option 4

POD Knows
October 5th, 2018, 03:21 PM
So you answered the the corrected poll question while trying to not answer it

"It's unimaginable" that you're AD would do such a thing

Thus it's option 4Actually. the 11 am game wouldn't bug me as much now because we don't set up a tailgating dealer anymore. An 11 am game back in the day would have required that you get in line to get a GA spot and you would have probably had to get in line at 3 am. Long day. To me, 4 pm to 1 pm one time is not that big of a deal but what do I know.

We had a couple of 11 am games in Frisco, I was just getting to bed by the time we had to leave for the tailgate.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Actually. the 11 am game wouldn't bug me as much now because we don't set up a tailgating dealer anymore. An 11 am game back in the day would have required that you get in line to get a GA spot and you would have probably had to get in line at 3 am. Long day. To me, 4 pm to 1 pm one time is not that big of a deal but what do I know.

We had a couple of 11 am games in Frisco, I was just getting to bed by the time we had to leave for the tailgate.

What your missing in the “this time to this time” is the reasoning and everything that goes with why it happened. And why jay intentionally worked his question to be the way it was.

“Is 1pm too early”

Sure. I’ll go with no.

However adding context to 1pm rather than 4 makes a big difference.

POD Knows
October 5th, 2018, 03:25 PM
What your missing in the “this time to this time” is the reasoning and everything that goes with why it happened. And why jay intentionally worked his question to be the way it was.

“Is 1pm too early”

Sure. I’ll go with no.

However adding context to 1pm rather than 4 makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep, I thought the question was kind of weird, a little context often helps. So basically the poll results were a south vs. north deal and was weather related.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2018, 03:51 PM
So, obviously there's a whole lot of extra "baggage" involved in UNI going with an earlier start time than there would be with some other schools, which is understandable if it's been that way for a while.

I'm not sure what we'd do in that situation, but then again, most of our athletics aren't at the level that UNI's are and the 50-100 people going to a volleyball match aren't really going to make an impact on our football crowd. Outside of 1 match we have in November (on ESPN3), TV scheduling isn't really a thing.

How much warning was there before the time was set? Is this something that was set when the schedule came out originally, or something that was decided recently? I wouldn't be too happy if I'd planned on a late afternoon/early evening game and they moved it to 1 PM a week or two before.

JayJ79
October 5th, 2018, 04:26 PM
How much warning was there before the time was set? Is this something that was set when the schedule came out originally, or something that was decided recently? I wouldn't be too happy if I'd planned on a late afternoon/early evening game and they moved it to 1 PM a week or two before.
It has been set for 1 p.m. for months.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 04:26 PM
It’s been set a whole so people have had time to plan. I grant that.

Iowa is also a 230 kick for one of their 2 or 3 biggest rivalry/trophy games of the season.

There are many factors that will lead attendance to being lower this week than it should be. Intentionally putting this game at a time that makes it difficult on families and at a time that they knew 100% would overlap with Iowa and Iowa State games certainly leads the charge.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 04:27 PM
It has been set for 1 p.m. for months.

Meaning the athletic department has had months to either ask Bradley to move volleyball to 8pm or find a way to show volleyball behind a paywall another way.

They’ve shown both before.

JayJ79
October 5th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Both Iowa and Iowa State play at 2:30 tomorrow. So a 4 p.m. kickoff would do jack **** for getting those fans anyway.

So you list a bunch of reasons why having a game end by 7:30 is good (so that students can still make it to the bars, and so that families don't have to keep their kids up late), then propose that they should go back to having 6:30 kickoffs.
And you rant on and on about how 1 p.m. kicks don't make sense for families, yet say that 1 p.m. makes sense for "family weekend".

yeah, okay.

But anyway, I'm done. Sick of all this ****.
Done on AGS. Done on PN. Hell, I don't even find UNI football entertaining anymore (yes, partly because of the decline on the field, but mostly because of the fanbase and primarily you).

So, does any NDSU fan wanna buy a ticket for tomorrow? Fairly cheap? (okay no, I can't do that. Others in my group are still likely to go, and they wouldn't like sitting next to opposing fans. But at least they'll have some extra elbow room now)

Grizalltheway
October 5th, 2018, 04:47 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/33ac1d3d429cda1835eca2992d0f9c88/tenor.gif?itemid=5112090

JayJ79
October 5th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Meaning the athletic department has had months to either ask Bradley to move volleyball to 8pm or find a way to show volleyball behind a paywall another way.

They’ve shown both before.

No, they haven't. Not with overlapping events.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Thought you were leaving.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 05:18 PM

If NDSU did that, I can tell you that some boosters with serious $$$ would be "requesting" a meeting with Matt Larsen. I'd be mad that NDSU felt the need to eliminate the 2:30 slot to satisfy volleyball when Football is the moneymaker of the school.

clenz
October 5th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Since you have let me ask you this.

Why is this volleyball game against Bradley so important to put on ESPN+ that in past years has Allowed UNI to keep the 4/7 split and not force football to an earlier kick time so it could be in ESPN3/+?

Bisonoline
October 8th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Both Iowa and Iowa State play at 2:30 tomorrow. So a 4 p.m. kickoff would do jack **** for getting those fans anyway.

So you list a bunch of reasons why having a game end by 7:30 is good (so that students can still make it to the bars, and so that families don't have to keep their kids up late), then propose that they should go back to having 6:30 kickoffs.
And you rant on and on about how 1 p.m. kicks don't make sense for families, yet say that 1 p.m. makes sense for "family weekend".

yeah, okay.

But anyway, I'm done. Sick of all this ****.
Done on AGS. Done on PN. Hell, I don't even find UNI football entertaining anymore (yes, partly because of the decline on the field, but mostly because of the fanbase and primarily you).

So, does any NDSU fan wanna buy a ticket for tomorrow? Fairly cheap? (okay no, I can't do that. Others in my group are still likely to go, and they wouldn't like sitting next to opposing fans. But at least they'll have some extra elbow room now)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29216&stc=1

woffordgrad94
October 9th, 2018, 12:12 AM
I wish all games could be night games. I love being under the lights!