PDA

View Full Version : Big South Schollies

stonywolf
March 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hey, does the big south allow the 63 maximum scholorships like the CAA and alot of other conferences do? Do all the teams have the full 63 scholorship players?

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yes they allow 63...no clue if all the teams issue the full allotment.

rokamortis
March 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Do all the teams have the full 63 scholorship players?

I believe they all do, but not too sure. Liberty, Coastal, and Chuck South do from what i've gathered. I believe that the league is pushing for all teams to provide the full number of scholarships.

March 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Only the MAAC and the PFL give no schollies/aid etc. to football players. Only the NEC restricts the amount of schollies given to football players. Only the Patriot and Ivy Leagues use the grants in aid system (both without restrictions) for football players.

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM
VMI for years gave less than 63 scholarships. The Keydets had improved their numbers since the SoCon days, but I don't think they are at 63. I think its closer to the 50s.

vmifan
March 26th, 2007, 06:37 AM
VMI for years gave less than 63 scholarships. The Keydets had improved their numbers since the SoCon days, but I don't think they are at 63. I think its closer to the 50s.

VMI has the money to fund fully the 63 scholarships. However, it has been down some the last couple of years due to graduation and some unexpected attrition. That situation has righted itself with Reid's leadership, but it will take him a couple of years to get the numbers back to where they should be.

DetroitFlyer
March 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Every PFL team provides aid to football players. The aid is in the form of aid that is available to all students at the university. UD recruited a lineman this year that had a 4.0 gpa in highschool and good ACT scores. He was also being recruited by the Ivy League. I imagine that UD was able to put together an attractive aid package, based on his academics, that made his decision to attend UD viable from a money perspective. The idea that 100 kids are paying full tuition to play football at PFL schools is simply not true. Call it what you will, but PFL schools can offer competitive aid packages relative to the rest of FCS. We just cannot call the aid "football scholarships".

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Every PFL team provides aid to football players. The aid is in the form of aid that is available to all students at the university. UD recruited a lineman this year that had a 4.0 gpa in highschool and good ACT scores. He was also being recruited by the Ivy League. I imagine that UD was able to put together an attractive aid package, based on his academics, that made his decision to attend UD viable from a money perspective. The idea that 100 kids are paying full tuition to play football at PFL schools is simply not true. Call it what you will, but PFL schools can offer competitive aid packages relative to the rest of FCS. We just cannot call the aid "football scholarships".
do you provide to those who do not fall under the "need based" category?

DetroitFlyer
March 26th, 2007, 09:12 AM
The aid has to be available to all students.... So a kid with a 4.0 that happens to be a football player and a kid with a 4.0 who happens to be strictly an Engineering student could both receive "full rides" with a President's Scholarship or something similar. Of course there is "need based" aid as well based on FAFSA. The bottom line is that PFL schools do have tools at their disposal to recruit student/athletes, ( especially if they can recruit the academically gifted student athletes ). That is why more and more you see PFL schools recruiting againt the Ivy league and the Patroit League, in addition to other FCS conferences and other levels of football. It is also a reason that so many PFL athletes receive recognition for outstanding academic achievement. In fact at Dayton, the average grade point average of every student / athlete, ( male and female ), is about 3.12 / 4.0. Not too shabby!

Libertine
March 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I believe that Rok is correct in that CCU, CSU and Liberty all give the full 63. I am pretty sure that Gardner-Webb only gives 55.

March 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Only the MAAC and the PFL give no schollies/aid etc. to football players. Only the NEC restricts the amount of schollies given to football players. Only the Patriot and Ivy Leagues use the grants in aid system (both without restrictions) for football players.When I wrote football players here it meant only to football players. Of course they are students as well and can get what every student can get.

CSUBUCDAD
March 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Chuck South only gave a little over 40 scholis a year until Mills got there. Now they give the full 63. One of the things Mills demanded as part of him taking the job.

adrianb
March 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Gardner-Webb gave 57 in 2005. We play Ohio this year so I assume the Scholarships have either stayed the same or risen.

Libertine
March 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Adrian raises a good question. I'm really curious as to how the rule works in determining whether or not an FCS is a "full-schollie" team in regard to playing FBS money games. Does every single one of the 63 have to be accounted for? And how do APR schollie losses factor into that?

dbackjon
March 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Adrian raises a good question. I'm really curious as to how the rule works in determining whether or not an FCS is a "full-schollie" team in regard to playing FBS money games. Does every single one of the 63 have to be accounted for? And how do APR schollie losses factor into that?

For money games you have to give a minimum of 57 for two years - below that for any reason, you are no longer a "counter"

March 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
For money games you have to give a minimum of 57 for two years - below that for any reason, you are no longer a "counter"Yeah I think it is 90% of allowed schollies over a three year rolling period... anyone care to post the NCAA bylaw?

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Bylaws (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf)

It won't let me copy but check out Section 15.

I'M your helper!

March 28th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah I think it is 90% of allowed schollies over a three year rolling period... anyone care to post the NCAA bylaw?"Each year, a Division I FBS institution may count a victory against a Division I FCS opponent that has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in Division I FCS over a rolling two-year period." There you go!