PDA

View Full Version : Base defense: 4-3 or 3-4?

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Just curious what teams in the FCS use for their front 7, 4-3 or 3-4?

NDSU uses 4-3 like I think most other FCS teams use. But I was curious which teams run 3-4. I only know Cal Poly and Montana State for sure.

slostang
March 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM
You are right that Cal Poly's base defense is a 3-4, but they are starting to work in four man fronts on other downs than short yardage and goal line, something they have not done in the past. A big reason for this is they have brought in some impressive DL recruits the last few years.

PSUVikings
March 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The Vikings will be in 3-4 this year....thanks to Jerry Glanville

AggiePride
March 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
4-3

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM
4-3 for the happy appys

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I didn't know that Glanville was a defensive guy. I thought he big thing was spread offense?

PSU is basically going to be an exact duplicate of Montana State, then. 3-4 defense and 4 WR offense.

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
4-3 in Thibodaux

DTSpider
March 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I think pretty much every CAA team runs the 4-3 except JMU, which is more of a 4-2-5.

Demon Fan
March 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
4-3 in Thibodaux

Most of the time Northwestern State uses a 4-2-5; unless we are going against a team like Nicholls, that runs a Triple Option, in which case the Demons will slide into a 4-3-4.

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Most of the time Northwestern State uses a 4-2-5; unless we are going against a team like Nicholls, that runs a Triple Option, in which case the Demons will slide into a 4-3-4.
Awww, just for us?!?!! :o

Demon Fan
March 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Respect for the strengths of one's adversary, is the purest form of compliment and the first step toward victory.

Mountaineer#96
March 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
ASU uses a hybrid 4-3, that is because it appears to be a 4-4 to the naked eye. Works very well in the SoCon, I guess ;)

catbob
March 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
We started last year with a 3-4, and went 1-3 with it (with the lone win over CU). We then switched to a 4-3 flex, 7-2 with it.

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
ASU uses a hybrid 4-3, that is because it appears to be a 4-4 to the naked eye. Works very well in the SoCon, I guess ;)
What do you do, bring a DB up close to the LB's? Then he can either play the run, rush or drop into coverage?

stonywolf
March 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
stony brook just started running a 4-3 last year

blackfordpu
March 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I believe the Kats run a 4-2-5.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM
4-3 flex

What do you mean by flex?

McNeese75
March 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM

xlolx Everybody changes things when they play the Colonels.xnodx

Cowboys traditionaly run a 4-2-5 but are supposed to be adding some 4-3 schemes this year .

ngineer
March 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Lehigh switched to a 3-4 last year with mixed results. The change in coaching staff led to the change with Dave Kotulski, the new DC, bringing the new look. He has used this with decent success at his previous stops, but it depends on the personnel. I think we were somewhat undermanned in that alignment last year. The recruiting that has taken place shows more emphasis on big bodies on the DL and higher mobility with the LB's. After one year, we're expecting an improved D--especially against the run.

ncguitarplyr
March 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
if it weren't for madden video games i wouldn't know what the hell you guys are talking about lol

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
What do you do, bring a DB up close to the LB's? Then he can either play the run, rush or drop into coverage?
App State brings a safety into the box for run support, but the safeties are quick enough to drop back into coverage. The Mountaineers run a lot of press coverage on the corners, with the DEs having primarily pass rush responsibility. The LBs and DTs do most of the work on the run. One of the keys for ASU's defense are CBs who can handle man-to-man coverage and the defensive line that can pressure the QB. The Mountaineers do not blitz very often, because their DL gets so much pressure on QBs. The safeties are free to make a lot of plays, which is why they get so many turnovers. And you will see the FS and the SS interchange responsibilites at times. When Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch were back there, sometimes Wiggins was coming up close and sometimes, it was Lynch playing in the box.

Southern Illinois is another team that uses the 4-2-5 formation. That seems to be something that Gateway Conference teams like to play.

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I didn't know that Glanville was a defensive guy. I thought he big thing was spread offense?

PSU is basically going to be an exact duplicate of Montana State, then. 3-4 defense and 4 WR offense.
I guess you didn't pick up on the fact that Glanville was the Defensive Coordinator at Hawaii and was also a DC in the NFL before becoming a head coach. His teams when he was a head coach have always run the Run and Shoot, but his forte was defense. He just brought in other people to run the offense.

catbob
March 26th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Flex is alternating where the DL lines up and how far off the line depending on what the D thinks the offense is going to run. Kind of like a zone defense for runs. Everyone has a gap to fill and then a Mike LB read the offense and chooses a gap to hit. I believe, I don't really pay that much attention.

Mountaineer#96
March 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM
App State brings a safety into the box for run support, but the safeties are quick enough to drop back into coverage. The Mountaineers run a lot of press coverage on the corners, with the DEs having primarily pass rush responsibility. The LBs and DTs do most of the work on the run. One of the keys for ASU's defense are CBs who can handle man-to-man coverage and the defensive line that can pressure the QB. The Mountaineers do not blitz very often, because their DL gets so much pressure on QBs. The safeties are free to make a lot of plays, which is why they get so many turnovers. And you will see the FS and the SS interchange responsibilites at times. When Jeremy Wiggins and Corey Lynch were back there, sometimes Wiggins was coming up close and sometimes, it was Lynch playing in the box.

Southern Illinois is another team that uses the 4-2-5 formation. That seems to be something that Gateway Conference teams like to play.

Mr. C, don't forget the "Bandit" position. Monte Smith was likely one of the best of the John Wiley tenure here at ASU. He will be hard to replace, but I know whom ever does step up has some big shoes to fill. For those who are not familiar with the ASU defense the Bandit is like a big safety, or a really athletic LB and is usually lines up to the offenses strong side.

Cobblestone
March 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM
4-3 for us.

Libertine
March 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Liberty is the only Big South team that runs a 3-4. Rocco brought it with him from UVa.

Charleston Southern ran a 3-3 Stack the last few years but that DC just left for Indiana St. We'll see what their new guy brings in.

I believe that Wofford also runs a 3-4.

SO ILLmatic
March 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Yeah, we run a 4-2-5 formation. But it is a soft coverage formation. Our DBs usually line 10-15 yds off the receivers. And the Nickelback is typically a yard or two behind the LBs. Its prolly the reason that successful passing teams have a field day against our D, esp. ILL ST. Every time I see our DBs that far off the ball, I just shake my head.

Mr. C
March 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Real soft coverage. App State's coaches were shocked by some of the things that SIU did defensively in the 2005 quarterfinals. "They do some very unsound things defensively," was a quote from one of the offensive coaches at ASU. Richie Williams and the Mountaineers tore up the Salukis pass defense in much the same way as Luke Drone and Illinois State have in recent years.

Mr. C
March 27th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Mr. C, don't forget the "Bandit" position. Monte Smith was likely one of the best of the John Wiley tenure here at ASU. He will be hard to replace, but I know whom ever does step up has some big shoes to fill. For those who are not familiar with the ASU defense the Bandit is like a big safety, or a really athletic LB and is usually lines up to the offenses strong side.
Didn't forget anything. ASU has been almost as good at the LB slots as they have been at DE over the years. The thing that made Monte Smith good was that he was a former DE, so he was strong enough to fight off blocks and had the speed to cover receivers. The Mountaineers have been blessed to have good players at that position through the years. Don't be surprised if the recruit from Georgia STARTS at that position as a true freshman. That is the word from the coaching staff. He is THAT good.

BTW, ASU runs, with a few tweaks here and there, basically the same base defense as it has since Ruffin McNeil came in as defensive coordinator in the early 1990s (he brought Wiley back to Boone as his DB coach). McNeil is now the assistant head coach at Texas Tech.

CopperCat
March 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
What do you mean by flex?

If you can find some tape of say the Furman game or even the PSU game, you can see what the flex 4-3 does. It makes the offense think you're going one way, but then the linebackers go the other way. Its almost like the d-line and linebackers are in opposition in where they are moving, but they are working together to create chaos. It worked pretty well. Like catbob said, we were 7-2 with the flex defense. I'm a believer.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
If you can find some tape of say the Furman game or even the PSU game, you can see what the flex 4-3 does. It makes the offense think you're going one way, but then the linebackers go the other way. Its almost like the d-line and linebackers are in opposition in where they are moving, but they are working together to create chaos. It worked pretty well. Like catbob said, we were 7-2 with the flex defense. I'm a believer.

In short....

A Defenses version of "misdirection"

Confusing to implement but is worth it for the teams with the athletes...

JMU_Fan_2007
March 27th, 2007, 11:03 AM
except in Goal line situations, JMU runs a 4-2-5 almost exclusively. When your defensive backs know strategies besides simply tackling the other teams receivers before the ball arrives, this works well. especially with good linebackers, JMU was able to have a very, very effective run defense this past year. But as all the YSU fans will remember, our backfield was quiet choppy at times and I'm convinced that Evan McCollough has never actually seen a football but instead has a bet with several friends that he can have 100 pass interferance penalties called against him during his JMU career. Next year, though, we will have some very good freshman recruits starting in the backfield. Hope it works!

MplsBison
March 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
How about the Purple Swarm, Frosty?

4-3?

Didn't SFA get one of your assistants for DC?

Are they going to switch over to NSU's D?

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM
How about the Purple Swarm, Frosty?

4-3?

Didn't SFA get one of your assistants for DC?

Are they going to switch over to NSU's D?

Sorry for da delay....Just got out of Database Class xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

As far as I know....We're strictly a 4-2-5...unless Corbin made changes I wasn't aware of....I know Stoker is back to coaching QB's now instead of DB's...

(That is...if we have the people to run it....It's not a good sign when a scrimmage gets postponed until Thursday due to players being banged up)

CopperCat
March 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
In short....

A Defenses version of "misdirection"

Confusing to implement but is worth it for the teams with the athletes...

Damn straight.xnodx

dawwggboy
March 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Lehigh 3-4

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Damn straight.xnodx

Ya welcome...

^^^^^^^^^

(This coming from a Colorado fan also...cuz that D confused the **** out of our O-Line xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx )

colgate13
March 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
4-3

PSUVikings
March 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
JG will be coaching the 3-4, planning to be the HC and DC

CopperCat
March 29th, 2007, 05:02 PM
JG will be coaching the 3-4, planning to be the HC and DC

Interesting. Remind me what PSU has used in years past, I forget (and I don't have any film at the moment)....