PDA

View Full Version : What Renovations do Certain FCS Stadiums need?

Pages : [1] 2

Zoo
March 25th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Fire away. xthumbsupx

For me, I'd say that all teams should get rid of their tracks, it kind of ruins the feel of getting close to the players, you know?

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Fire away. xthumbsupx

A facility, not just a field and the temporary bleachers.

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM
well we are just getting started but unfortunately our needs are not being met here at app st congratulations to the few hundred people that have thousands to sit in luxury at football games but for the rest of us there is A LOT that needs to be done at Kidd Brewer stadium and if any of you have ever sat on the away side and had to go to the bathroom you would know what i mean... also track, expansion of seating, bowling the endzone lots of improvements!

FlyYtown
March 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I'd love to hear any renovations needed at Stambaugh... because none need to be done. The only change you will see next year is the replacement of a couple thousand chairback seats, which need it. New chairback's will be put in this offseason.

bobbythekidd
March 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I'd love to hear any renovations needed at Stambaugh... because none need to be done. The only change you will see next year is the replacement of a couple thousand chairback seats, which need it. New chairback's will be put in this offseason.
There is not much someone can say bad about the Ice Castle.xnodx

If you could change the weather, well....

rokamortis
March 25th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Coastal needs expansion. They are currently preparing to put in a 43,000 sqft field house along with 2,100 seats for 2008. That'll bring us up around 9,500, but I think we really need to be sitting at 12,000+ to allow for more student seats and accommodate for future growth.

BEAR
March 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I think UCA upgraded Estes Stadium a few years ago but moving to FCS has brought in a few more fans. I personally think horseshoeing the stadium in would be a great idea. It wouldn't necessarily add a ton more seats, maybe double the size, but fans who attended the Missouri State game can tell you a place to sit would have been nice. Currently it holds around 8500 to 9000. It really needs to hold about 15k. That way it will be big enough to be a draw but not too big when crowds get thin.

Here's a picture of one game, the seats are needed. But not too many more. I bet UCA could average about 13 to 15k with good advertising. Just xtwocentsx

http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-estescrowd.jpg

slostang
March 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Cal Poly has got a great start by putting in a 21.5 million dollar renovation to the east side that included new seating, press box, donar suites, a presidents suite, memorial plaza, lighting and new PA system.

They have plans to redo the west side stands and put permanent seating in both endzones which will bring total seating to 22,000. Alex G. Spanos Stadium (Alex kicked in 8 million for the renovation) currently holds 11,750. I think there are also plans to install SprinTurf in the near future. When all is completed (which may take many years) it should be one of the better FCS stadiums.

89Hen
March 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
More seats.

pcguy09
March 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Presbyterian College's football field seats about 6500-7000. And in the next 5 years i think the plans are to make it look like elons.. with the picnic area's on either end. they will drastically increase visitor seating, they are adding lights this summer i think. the only other thing i can think of that needs to be fixed is a better jumbo tron, and maybe larger field house, but right now the field house is pretty nice and brand new(2003)

mainejeff
March 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I would love to see Maine build a new 2 story building in North Endzone area that includes a training facility, home and visting weight rooms, coaches offices, and a function room overlooking the football field.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM

How about expanding the visitor seating so that the home to visitor seating ratio is lower than 5000:1?

Kill'em
March 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
OUR HOUSE is in the middle of a four-year renovation. 2005 saw the seating area bricked. In 2006 the Lupton Building was replaced with the Bishop Building, bricks replacing the chain-link fence around the field and part of the chain-link fence around the stadium being replaced with brick and wrought iron. This year it is expected a major overhaul of the concourse areas and remodeling of the concessions and restrooms. Next, we need an expansion.

UNHWildCats
March 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM
demolition and several million for a new stadium

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I would have said a new playing surface, but since Nicholls State is installing a new field this year I'll leave that alone. I would LOVE to see a screen on the scoreboard capable of LIVE video instead of just computer graphics. Other than that, I think our stadium is pretty sufficient for what we draw week-in and week-out.

FlyYtown
March 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
How about expanding the visitor seating so that the home to visitor seating ratio is lower than 5000:1?

When that happens, the FCS/I-AA will be aDISTANTTTTT Memory; since that is when we will be a member of the Mid American Conference.

21000 seats is a lot, but if we add-on to the East Stands, we will have a capacity of 26-28k.

xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
do any app fans know if during this construction project we will have a new pa system? bc the old one sux and in the student section you can not hear it

ButlerGSU
March 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
OUR HOUSE is in the middle of a four-year renovation. 2005 saw the seating area bricked. In 2006 the Lupton Building was replaced with the Bishop Building, bricks replacing the chain-link fence around the field and part of the chain-link fence around the stadium being replaced with brick and wrought iron. This year it is expected a major overhaul of the concourse areas and remodeling of the concessions and restrooms. Next, we need an expansion.

It will be nice to have upgraded/expanded restrooms but overall Paulson Stadium is one of the best in FCS IMO.

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
It will be nice to have upgraded/expanded restrooms but overall Paulson Stadium is one of the best in FCS IMO.
it is and you arent being a homer about it either

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Nicholls State is installing a new field this year

What kind?

BEAR
March 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Presbyterian College's football field seats about 6500-7000. And in the next 5 years i think the plans are to make it look like elons.. with the picnic area's on either end. they will drastically increase visitor seating, they are adding lights this summer i think. the only other thing i can think of that needs to be fixed is a better jumbo tron, and maybe larger field house, but right now the field house is pretty nice and brand new(2003)

Will PC also increase the size of the Scotsman greeting visitors at the entrance? xlolx (Make your own jokes...but PC fan knows what I am talking about:D ) Loved the visit there, can't wait to see it again!xthumbsupx

ucdtim17
March 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Lights and then more seats

colorless raider
March 25th, 2007, 01:51 PM
At a minimum Gate needs FieldTurf and Lights

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM
What kind?
The field is a GameDay Grass surface, manufactured by AstroTurf. The school is the benificiary of the Manning Passing Academy being located there. Archie Manning will be the new spokesman for AstroTurf and he requested that a new surface be donated to Nicholls State to install in Guidry Stadium. General Sports Venue, the exclusive marketer of AstroTurf, donated the field and the field will be named "Manning Field Presented by AstroTurf" - the stadium name will not change.

NSU Press Release (http://www.colonelsports.com/admin/AstroTurf%20Release.htm)

AstroTurf Info (http://www.astroturfusa.com/archie-manning/) - scroll to the bottom of the page for info on Nicholls State.

GameDay Grass Info (http://www.astroturfusa.com/product/gameday-grass.html)

No word yet on exactly version of the product will be used. There are four variations, some with the in-fill and others without. CLICK HERE (http://www.astroturfusa.com/sport/football.html) to see some of the facilities that use the turf. They include Vaught-Hemingway Stadium at Ole Miss; Ralph Wilson Stadium of the NFL's Buffalo Bills; the Florida State University practice facility and Davenport Field @ Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, TN - home of UT-Chattanooga and the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game.

slycat
March 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
get rid of the track around the field at Texas St.

build a videoboard. (hoping this is coming the season)

build a better pressbox.

Eyes of Old Main
March 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Facility-wise, Wofford is OK. The biggest need is to paint the endzones and put our logo in the center of the field. The solid green endzones look really bad, especially compared to how good they looked painted for the 2003 playoffs.

CrazyCat
March 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think we are raising funds for new skyboxes. It would be nice to expand the endzone seats also.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/celticmoose/msubarry6.png

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I think we are raising funds for new skyboxes. It would be nice to expand the endzone seats also.
Which school are you talking about?

pcguy09
March 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Will PC also increase the size of the Scotsman greeting visitors at the entrance? xlolx (Make your own jokes...but PC fan knows what I am talking about:D ) Loved the visit there, can't wait to see it again!xthumbsupx

HAHA, i think they might be building a family of scotsman around him.. and giving him another 5 foot height burst xlolx

CrazyCat
March 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Sorry I was fooling around with my signature. Montana State.

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry I was fooling around with my signature. Montana State.
Ahhh ok. Thanks.

How many fans do you guys average out there?

CrazyCat
March 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
12,758 Which is 18th in FCS

catbob
March 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ahhh ok. Thanks.

How many fans do you guys average out there?

Last year we averaged 12,758, hurt a little bit by the 3 game home losing streak, and a home playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend. It should be up this year after the successful season we have last year.

I would love to see us bowl in the SE endzone, and increase capacity to 18,000+. But as is, we are adding new pressboxes to the student side. I think the order is something like:

1. New skyboxes
2. indoor practice facility
3. sprintturf
4. more seats

:P

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Last year we averaged 12,758, hurt a little bit by the 3 game home losing streak, and a home playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend. It should be up this year after the successful season we have last year.

I would love to see us bowl in the SE endzone, and increase capacity to 18,000+. But as is, we are adding new pressboxes to the student side. I think the order is something like:

1. New skyboxes
2. indoor practice facility
3. sprintturf
4. more seats

:P
Cool, and indoor practice facility would probably be beneficial in those blizzards huh? Do alot of the schools up there have them?

McTailGator
March 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I just want McNeese to complete this project...

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

CrazyCat
March 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cool, and indoor practice facility would probably be beneficial in those blizzards huh? Do alot of the schools up there have them?

We practice inside the fieldhouse which is our basketball and indoor track facilities. I'm not sure what the griz do.

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I just want McNeese to complete this project...

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg
What would be a GREAT improvement on what is already a really nice facility. xthumbsupx

crunifan
March 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
UNI-Dome

I would like new scoreboards and new turf.

Also, start and finish this project.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/Newside.jpg

BEAR
March 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
HAHA, i think they might be building a family of scotsman around him.. and giving him another 5 foot height burst xlolx

xliarx <-----5 foot----->......... xthumbsupx

(sorry, that was just waaaaay to easy...xlolx

gvilleapp
March 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Facility-wise, Wofford is OK. The biggest need is to paint the endzones and put our logo in the center of the field. The solid green endzones look really bad, especially compared to how good they looked painted for the 2003 playoffs.
Wofford has a top-notch facility in large part due to Mr. Richardson and the Carolina Panther organization. I have wondered if the playing surface lacks Wofford logos because of sharing the stadium with Spartan High. Also, do you have any idea how much $ you guys receive from SHS?

I know Wofford is a small school, but some type of marching band would really help the game day atmosphere too.

FargoBison
March 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
A retractable roof would be cool and perhaps some more seats, field turf will be a must eventually but probably not for 5 to 10 years.

BearsCountry
March 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Missouri State, get rid of the track would be very nice. Move the field closer to the west grandstand. Replace the east bleachers and build that side like the west. New jumbotron on the north end of the stadium, and in the south a football complex building that bleachers could be expanded on top in the future.

PSUVikings
March 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
how about bathrooms :/ turf needs to be changed to

AggiePride
March 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Sac State would like some fans.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
A retractable roof would be cool and perhaps some more seats, field turf will be a must eventually but probably not for 5 to 10 years.

I agree on the open air bit. Can you imagine those people from the south coming up to Fargo in December? Wow you don't know what cold is until you've been there in the winter.

I agree about the field turf too. Saint Cloud State has field turf and the Bison keep using the rejected Metrodome carpet, its a shame.

The Sheriff
March 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I agree on the open air bit. Can you imagine those people from the south coming up to Fargo in December? Wow you don't know what cold is until you've been there in the winter.

I agree about the field turf too. Saint Cloud State has field turf and the Bison keep using the rejected Metrodome carpet, its a shame.
Yes, but St. Cloud State failed in other areas in building that stadium, such as a grandstand on the opposite side of the stadium. That is sort of a large expense to pay for a nice view of the Mississippi River.

Speaking of St. Clown, that is one university that should be making the move up in the near future, but it doesn't look like they are interested. Enrollment-wise they exceed both ND schools by at least 3 to 4 thousand and are located outside of the 13th or 14th largest metro area in the country. They already have a highly successful D1 hockey program. But, that's another topic for another day.

The Sheriff
March 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
When that happens, the FCS/I-AA will be aDISTANTTTTT Memory; since that is when we will be a member of the Mid American Conference.

21000 seats is a lot, but if we add-on to the East Stands, we will have a capacity of 26-28k.

If that's what it takes, I would like to see that happen then. xthumbsupx
Just speaking in terms of, you know, our lack of a conference right now...

BearsCountry
March 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Its part of my dream for Plaster bc I think it would make our stadium better, but we would be in the same boat if we made our east stands like our west. It would be for moving up.

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Sac State would like some fans.
how many fans do you currently average???

ucdtim17
March 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM
how many fans do you currently average???

More than them. But us averaging more than them at Toomey is like if they averaged more than us in basketball (i.e. they have a tiny embarassing facility with a higher quality team). Needless to say, we averaged over twice them in basketball with our 5-win team. We'll finally see how we do next year in a real facility playing games that count xcoolx

JaxStateManager
March 26th, 2007, 01:50 AM
It's not exactly a part of the stadium, but JaxState needs to enlarge and renovate the equipment room. Can you believe that there is only 2 (two) wall outlets in the entire equipment room? I couldn't either....until I saw it for myself.

andy7171
March 26th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Some fans to fill the new stadium would be nice. And not just the temporary ones that pack the house for Morgan State and Delaware.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Presbyterian College's football field seats about 6500-7000. And in the next 5 years i think the plans are to make it look like elons...
Half empty? xconfusedx Sorry Phighting Christians, couldn't resist. :p :o

CID1990
March 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Here is a pic of The Citadel's new stadium. The home stands are finished, and the tower/facade with the private boxes is under construction and should be finished for the upcoming season.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/guinneach/stadium_rendering.jpg

The new scoreboard is nice, with a big jumbotron. It was in use last season, so half the conference has already seen it.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Some fans to fill the new stadium would be nice. And not just the temporary ones that pack the house for Morgan State and Delaware.
how many fans do you average any given saturday...

i couldnt resist xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix :p

The Gadfly
March 26th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Those visiting Brooks Stadium will be pleasantly suprised. Though our stadium is mid-size compared to many FCS stadiums out there, we accommodate our visitors very well (concessions, full bathrooms that are clean, pleasant atmosphere). Hopefully some recent visitors can back me up on that.

We are getting a field house in '08 with continued expansion on the visitors' side in the near future, but the thing I would like to see happen is to have a play back system for our jumbotron. We can't do playbacks on it for some reason.

Pard4Life
March 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
...pass... we are fine thank you! :D

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM
when will montan add an upper deck to their stadium???

Cobblestone
March 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
We just put in a new home side.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/uri/galleries/meade-073106/DSCF3024-lg.jpg

However, our visitors side (former home side)

http://www.uri.edu/home/about/photos/Meade%20Stadium.jpeg

needs to be fixed up, it's a bit of a safety hazard. From what I hear plans are being made to rip those stands down in the near future and replace them.

andy7171
March 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
how many fans do you average any given saturday...

i couldnt resist xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix :p
Just over 5K I think.
The new stadium hold just over 11,200. @9K will show for the Morgan State game, which is a cross town rivalry, Morgan is 4 miles away. The biggest crowd we have on record is 10,778 a homecoming game vs Delaware in 2005.

Grizalltheway
March 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
We practice inside the fieldhouse which is our basketball and indoor track facilities. I'm not sure what the griz do.

Buck up and deal with the cold weather like men. Our players are from Montana, not California, remember? :D :D xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
March 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Buck up and deal with the cold weather like men. Our players are from Montana, not California, remember? :D :D xthumbsupx

Good one. xpeacex I've noticed that an indoor practice field is pretty high on the griz wish list also.

JoshUCA
March 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I think UCA upgraded Estes Stadium a few years ago but moving to FCS has brought in a few more fans. I personally think horseshoeing the stadium in would be a great idea. It wouldn't necessarily add a ton more seats, maybe double the size, but fans who attended the Missouri State game can tell you a place to sit would have been nice. Currently it holds around 8500 to 9000. It really needs to hold about 15k. That way it will be big enough to be a draw but not too big when crowds get thin.

Here's a picture of one game, the seats are needed. But not too many more. I bet UCA could average about 13 to 15k with good advertising. Just xtwocentsx

http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-estescrowd.jpg

I agree with you...horseshoeing would be a great idea for Estes. A Jumbotron would be nice as well, but from what is being floated around that could be coming very soon. I also read in The Echo where Dr. Teague talked about adding "synthetic grass"...
Another possibility that Teague is looking at is adding synthetic grass to Estes Stadium. He said the turf requires much less maintenance than grass and will allow the field to be used for more things such as band practice.
"With [synthetic grass], we can have a lot more traffic on the field," he said. "We can use [the field] for the band to practice there."

LU73
March 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Fisher Field at Lafayette needs restrooms!! Can you imagine........$23 million of renovations, and not enough restrooms!

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Here's what i've heard about JMU's stadium expansion plans --
- Total permanent capacity will increase from 13k to somewhere in the range of 25-30k
- Visitor's side will be torn down, and a larger replacement will be rebuilt closer to the field
- The open endzone will be bowled in
- A new press box (similar to App State's new facility) will be built behind the current home side
- Construction should begin at the end of the 2007 season
- There are also plans for a second and third phase to take us to 40k and 50k seats respectively

The administration is supposed to announce its official plan in May, so we'll know more on the details/timeline soon.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Here's what i've heard about JMU's stadium expansion plans...
I still question this idea. xeyebrowx

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I still question this idea. xeyebrowx
Which idea are you questioning? I think everyone has a lot of questions about exactly what the university plans to unveil at the beginning of May. I'm pretty comfortable that my source knows what's going on, but as he's pointed out in the past, everything is contingent upon funding. At least our administration is finally going to make a public statement, which should finally put an end to years of speculation.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Which idea are you questioning?
25-30k with another 10-20k in another phase. A 75% increase in capacity is silly IMO.

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
25-30k with another 10-20k in another phase. A 75% increase in capacity is silly IMO.
The last time JMU expanded Bridgeforth we went from 5.5k to 13k, which is around 136%. That expansion probably wasn't necessary at the time, but it paid off in the long run. I think our administration is taking the same view of the next round of expansion. You also have to keep in mind that the second and third phases of expansion probably won't take place for another 10+ years, so it's not like this is all happening at once.

The goal of this first round of expansion is to provide us with the minimum capacity necessary, should an opportunity become available in another conference.

andy7171
March 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Unless the second phase of 10-20K is a down the road potential. Towson has a planned phase to increase to 17-18K by putting seats in the bowl end and in the standing room area on the visitor side. It doesn't hurt to have plans ready in case an upgrade is needed/wanted.

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Unless the second phase of 10-20K is a down the road potential. Towson has a planned phase to increase to 17-18K by putting seats in the bowl end and in the standing room area on the visitor side. It doesn't hurt to have plans ready in case an upgrade is needed/wanted.
You've got it right. The expansion to 25-30k is for the immediate future, while any subsequent rounds would be based on demand/opportunities. Or so I've heard.

FlyYtown
March 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
- Total permanent capacity will increase from 13k to somewhere in the range of 25-30k
- Visitor's side will be torn down, and a larger replacement will be rebuilt closer to the field
- A new press box (similar to App State's new facility) will be built behind the current home side
- There are also plans for a second and third phase to take us to 40k and 50k seats respectively

The administration is supposed to announce its official plan in May, so we'll know more on the details/timeline soon.

And 30k is needed why?????????? Let alone 40-50k....
I know you guys pack into your 15000 seat stadium; but I don't think any I-AA/FCS school could handle a 100% increase in attendance; or afford any increase as you have mentioned.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I guess to each his own. I know I wouldn't want the Tub to go to 35,000 in one year... too many empty seats for my liking. Montana has been able to expand at a pace that their fans can keep up with.

Also, sure it's good to have long range plans, but when you announce an aggressive plan like that and then don't end up doing it... I just think it sends the wrong message. (where's that two cents smilie?)

andy7171
March 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I guess to each his own. I know I wouldn't want the Tub to go to 35,000 in one year... too many empty seats for my liking. Montana has been able to expand at a pace that their fans can keep up with.

Also, sure it's good to have long range plans, but when you announce an aggressive plan like that and then don't end up doing it... I just think it sends the wrong message. (where's that two cents smilie?)
Well since you put it that way...xthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
And 30k is needed why?????????? Let alone 40-50k....
I know you guys pack into your 15000 seat stadium; but I don't think any I-AA/FCS school could handle a 100% increase in attendance; or afford any increase as you have mentioned.
I dont like this idea either and as 89 hen has said the empty seats will be all over the place i would much rather have not enough seats compared to too many seats IMO

WUTNDITWAA
March 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I dont like this idea either and as 89 hen has said the empty seats will be all over the place i would much rather have not enough seats compared to too many seats IMO

Yes, but something has to be done quickly about our putting 10,000 fans on a muddy hill. At 16,650 and averaging about 140 percent of capacity, one could make the argument that KBS could double in size and be near to capacity if you take into consideration that there is most likely a large chunk of our fanbase that doesn't want to sit on the dirt in the horseshoe. xtwocentsx

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, but something has to be done quickly about our putting 10,000 fans on a muddy hill. At 16,650 and averaging about 140 percent of capacity, one could make the argument that KBS could double in size and be near to capacity if you take into consideration that there is most likely a large chunk of our fanbase that doesn't want to sit on the dirt in the horseshoe. xtwocentsx
I think you need to wait to see what attendance is like when you're not coming off a National Championship...

2004 - 13,556 (81%)
2003 - 14,661 (88%)
2002 - 12,586 (76%)
2001 - 13,263 (80%)
2000 - 13,016 (78%)

Don't get me wrong, I hope your numbers stay high, but that is still yet to be determined.

Mountaineer
March 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I think you need to wait to see what attendance is like when you're not coming off a National Championship...

2004 - 13,556 (81%)
2003 - 14,661 (88%)
2002 - 12,586 (76%)
2001 - 13,263 (80%)
2000 - 13,016 (78%)

Don't get me wrong, I hope your numbers stay high, but that is still yet to be determined.

Agreed. xnodx The expansion is noted as "based on demand". I personally think it'd be foolish to add a lot more seats at KBS when historically the demand really hasn't been there. Though 2005 attendance was extremely good with no NC, so it's a wait and see game. I think as long as Peacock and Cobb keep the fanbase energized we'll get new seats eventually.

I think there's talk of some temp seating being brought in for the upcoming season. I could see adding another 3 to 4K seats permanently, but nothing like 10K or more like a lot of folks are wanting. xtwocentsx

Peems
March 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
The Griz probably could get up to 30,000 and after that it would start to be not so good...

mcveyrl
March 26th, 2007, 02:54 PM
JMU has been talking about that expansion for years and (as was pointed out) I don't believe it's happening and am dissapointed by this rush to talk expansion (in all fairness, I've never heard any talk of expansion from an official source). Further, I agree that it should be gradual. We need to add about 5K and see how that works out.

But, I would like to see a new "visitors" side and a new press box. We also desperately need to get rid of the "track" that has now been painted over.

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM
JMU has been talking about that expansion for years and (as was pointed out) I don't believe it's happening and am dissapointed by this rush to talk expansion (in all fairness, I've never heard any talk of expansion from an official source). Further, I agree that it should be gradual. We need to add about 5K and see how that works out.
Mcveyrl, JMU is announcing its expansion plans at the DC area stop of the Duke Club spring tour. If you have your doubts about expansion, feel free to stop by the event at Magianno's in Tyson's Corner on May 9. If you don't believe it's going to happen, then you'll be in for a surprise. xthumbsupx

I know the talk has been going on for years, but things will become official this spring. I've been a huge critic of our administration's lack of urgency and short-sighted vision in the past, but I am truly impressed with what they have planned. It's good to see them planning for the future.

Sure, it would be nice to expand in small increments, but the school can realize economies of scale by taking on a larger project. Imagine that once we tear down the old visitors side, we replace it with something comparable to the large side of YSU's stadium. Does it make sense to build just part of that structure to avoid excess capacity? Maybe we could just build between the 20s, and add the ends later. I have to think it would cost us a lot more in the long run, but I guess it's possible.

DTSpider
March 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I really think that JMU is heading towards FBS within the next 10-15 years. The school has continued to expand its student base and has become a big school. It'll just keep happening. It's only an hour & half from DC. I think the potential is there to support another FBS team in that area.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Sure, it would be nice to expand in small increments, but the school can realize economies of scale by taking on a larger project. Imagine that once we tear down the old visitors side, we replace it with something comparable to the large side of YSU's stadium. Does it make sense to build just part of that structure to avoid excess capacity? Maybe we could just build between the 20s, and add the ends later. I have to think it would cost us a lot more in the long run, but I guess it's possible.
It is possible. Scott Stadium at UVA went through several planned expansions over the years. They added an upper deck to the visitors, then the end zone lower deck, then the upper deck connecting the two sides... Bridgeforth does need new sides because of the old track. I assume at 15,000 that is about 12,000 on the sides and they seem pretty even to me, so say 6,000 per side. I'd replace the visiting side with something around 12,000. That would get you to 20,000 total. Replacing the home side with something similar would get you to 26,000. Bowling in the endzone would get you to 35,000. An upper deck on one of the sides gets you to 43,000.... THIS is how I would do it if I were in charge. Going to 25-30 in the first phase? xeyebrowx

walliver
March 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Wofford has a top-notch facility in large part due to Mr. Richardson and the Carolina Panther organization. I have wondered if the playing surface lacks Wofford logos because of sharing the stadium with Spartan High. Also, do you have any idea how much $ you guys receive from SHS?

I know Wofford is a small school, but some type of marching band would really help the game day atmosphere too.

Spartanburg High School contributed money up front for stadium construction with a long (10-15 year lease). I don't think much if any money is paid annually. After building the training facilities with money raised from the community (the Panther's did not put any money up front, but do pay rent every year), there wasn't a lot of money left for the stadium, so the high schools contribution was important.

As far as logos on the field, there were logos in the past, especially for TV games, but for inexplicable reasons, they have gone with a plain field the last couple of years.

As far as upgrades, the sound system is quite sucktacular and needs to be upgraded. There are frequent loud popping noises from the speakers which have been present for years.

The only other thing the stadium needs is a couple of national championship flags to fly.:D

rufus
March 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
THIS is how I would do it if I were in charge. Going to 25-30 in the first phase? xeyebrowx
I fully understand that you disagree with the approach, but it is what it is. I agree that 20-22k seats would probably create a better gameday atmosphere for the next few years, but our administration seems to be thinking long term. You have to keep in mind that these expansion plans aren't designed to simply meet our current needs.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Agreed. xnodx The expansion is noted as "based on demand". I personally think it'd be foolish to add a lot more seats at KBS when historically the demand really hasn't been there. Though 2005 attendance was extremely good with no NC, so it's a wait and see game. I think as long as Peacock and Cobb keep the fanbase energized we'll get new seats eventually.

I think there's talk of some temp seating being brought in for the upcoming season. I could see adding another 3 to 4K seats permanently, but nothing like 10K or more like a lot of folks are wanting. xtwocentsx
I agree as I have already said it is better to not have enough seats (especially with our hill) than to have too many and have empty. I think we shouldnt add seats till both a) demand warrants it which is not yet but could be soon and b) other projects continue to move on so that we can get that track up around the new soccer field and remove it from KBS. Then we can move the field towards the west side and then rip out the east stands and move them much closer and then bowl in the endzone... this will be great but it sure is a long (10 years or so IMO) way off... but it should be nice

PapaBear
March 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I would love to see Maine build a new 2 story building in North Endzone area that includes a training facility, home and visting weight rooms, coaches offices, and a function room overlooking the football field.

All well and good, MJ. But before they do anything, they need to replace that Astroturf with Field Turf, and improve the sound system so the announcer is audible from everywhere in the stadium.xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
March 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM

The only renovation I noticed was maybe some better parking and not putting the visiting fans behind the students.

dbackjon
March 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM
NAU:

1) Build Arena so Basketball is not played in the Dome.
2) Build 15,000 seat OUTDOOR stadium
3) Remove enough seating from Skydome to accomidate baseball field.

DHill
March 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
MOCS...HOME OF THE FCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME....BEST STADIUM IN FCS!!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

TheValleyRaider
March 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Turf maybe, but I'm still a fan of real grass. Lights, no. I'm not a fan of night games, even early in the year when it wouldn't be below freezing at kickoff.

As for what I'd do, cut that visitors side in half. It never comes even remotely close to being filled, no need for it to be that big.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
good call on that one...

but when utc plays you guys need one thing and that is...

FANSxnodx xnodx xnodx

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The only renovation I noticed was maybe some better parking
good point ASU has a lot to do in that area and I dont know if/when it will be addressed

MplsBison
March 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm still a fan of real grass.

This is a point that I'm curious about, because it's obviously not just you.

Quite a few people (on this board at least) share your opinion.

What is it about real grass that does it for you as far as watching the game go?

Why is it that you take join in teams playing in mud and having the surface your guys play on be unstable to make cuts on?

MplsBison
March 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Visiting weight room?

"Go ahead boys, bulk up before Saturday's game, it's your weight room!".

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM

What is it about real grass that does it for you as far as watching the game go?

Why is it that you take join in teams playing in mud and having the surface your guys play on be unstable to make cuts on?
good point and when technology is out there with a better option you have to go for it

MplsBison
March 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM

So does this plan mean that the new visitors side will be normal length from the field while the home side will remain a track distance away from the field?

Obviously once they build the new press box they aren't going to tear down the home side and move it closer.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
good point and when technology is out there with a better option you have to go for it

And I mean, does field turf look that bad?

Does looking out and seeing that the field is real grass somehow increase fan utility?

I just don't get it.

crunifan
March 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
NAU:

1) Build Arena so Basketball is not played in the Dome.
2) Build 15,000 seat OUTDOOR stadium
3) Remove enough seating from Skydome to accomidate baseball field.

We just got our basketball arena this year, so I know EXACTLY how you feel. Basketball was not made to be played in a dome. It was always so akward.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Does looking out and seeing that the field is real grass somehow increase fan utility?

I just don't get it.
No it looks like real grass from the stands...

and honestly from the field it looks like grass and just feels a little spongy which is nice and safer for tackling and cutting

Kill'em
March 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I agree as I have already said it is better to not have enough seats (especially with our hill) than to have too many and have empty. I think we shouldnt add seats till both a) demand warrants it which is not yet but could be soon and b) other projects continue to move on so that we can get that track up around the new soccer field and remove it from KBS. Then we can move the field towards the west side and then rip out the east stands and move them much closer and then bowl in the endzone... this will be great but it sure is a long (10 years or so IMO) way off... but it should be nice
Good point. I would love to see OUR HOUSE expanded but we can't fill it consistently, even when we win Championships. There are too many obstacles: too many suuport uga first xnonono2x, many will not support the school until we are in the BS and upgrade our schedule.

Disclaimer: These views are not necessarily those of the author.

dbackjon
March 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
We just got our basketball arena this year, so I know EXACTLY how you feel. Basketball was not made to be played in a dome. It was always so akward.

It sucks. Basketball Court in one corner of the dome. Temporary stands around 3 sides of the court.

Kill'em
March 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Now that the cow pasture once called a playing field is gone I agree! Finley is a great facility!

mountain man
March 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Finley still needs a sound system. xnodx

FlyYtown
March 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Imagine that once we tear down the old visitors side, we replace it with something comparable to the large side of YSU's stadium. Does it make sense to build just part of that structure to avoid excess capacity? Maybe we could just build between the 20s, and add the ends later. I have to think it would cost us a lot more in the long run, but I guess it's possible.
Good luck getting anything comparable to YSU'S Big side; which is nearly 16,500 seats. You got to admit, that is something drastic for any stadium to build.
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3460/n49101616302704192076za7.jpg

The only renovation I noticed was maybe some better parking and not putting the visiting fans behind the students.
Visiting Fans really have nowhere else to go; either you stay near your team; or you go on the big side where you won't find any seat closer than 30 rows up.

Parking Wise, the campus is right next to downtown. There isn't much room for parking; but there is a deck and lots and open roads to park within 5-10 minutes of the stadium. It's not like we have a huge parking lot like a HS stadium does for their stadiums.

And the room for parking will continue to be cut in the coming years as a new indoor practice facility is built across from the stadium.

WUTNDITWAA
March 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM

2004 - 13,556 (81%)
2003 - 14,661 (88%)
2002 - 12,586 (76%)
2001 - 13,263 (80%)
2000 - 13,016 (78%)

You make a point but remember that Appalachian wasn't coming off a National Championship in 2005. Just a long reign of error in the AD's office.

I still contend that people won't sit on a muddy hill much longer.

WUTNDITWAA
March 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM

An addition of 3-4K temporarily is a good start.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I think that you are very wrong right there...
As a student (who always sits right down front on the fifty/ not on the hill) I firmly believe there are certain students who go to football games for the sole purpose of sitting on the hill and socializing... there is a demand at the moment for more seating but another year is necessary before I would say something must be done immiently...

I just asked my girlfriend what she thought of the hill and people sitting on it and she agreed with me that there will always be thousands of students who go to games just to sit on the hill. We think getting rid of it right now would be wrong... within ten years though when our track is gone than we should bowl it in and then the hill will be gone... time and money are needed...

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
An addition of 3-4K temporarily is a good start.
is that official yet... that we will have temp bleachers this year

WUTNDITWAA
March 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
As a student (who always sits right down front on the fifty/ not on the hill) I firmly believe there are certain students who go to football games for the sole purpose of sitting on the hill and socializing... there is a demand at the moment for more seating but another year is necessary before I would say something must be done immiently...

I just asked my girlfriend what she thought of the hill and people sitting on it and she agreed with me that there will always be thousands of students who go to games just to sit on the hill. We think getting rid of it right now would be wrong... within ten years though when our track is gone than we should bowl it in and then the hill will be gone... time and money are needed...

Okay, allow me to restate my last post:

I still contend that people won't play full price (non-students) to sit on a muddy hill much longer.

I see two solutions then:

1. Add more seats.
2. Put all students on the hill.

It's safe to say that neither of us want option 2.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I will agree with you there paying full price to sit over there is absurd... but I still contend we shouldnt get rid of it yet... if there is someway to charge a different price for the hill then that would be great although unfortunately I am not sure how to do that ... I hope we at least add some temp bleachers this year to see how that works

bobcatfan06
March 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM
A freakin' jumbotron. I'm sure it's already been said by someone from Texas State, but it needs to be said again.

ngineer
March 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Lights?!! Too cold during the day, let alone night games!xeekx :D ;)

Hammersmith
March 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
NDSU-Fargodome

1. Repaint current turf - new turf in a few years
2. Better lighting - currently at about 2/3 of what it should be - important in a dome
3. Rip out all the current red and blue seating and replace with yellow and green - okay, that's not exactly realistic

SO ILLmatic
March 26th, 2007, 11:20 PM
NDSU-Fargodome

1. Repaint current turf - new turf in a few years

Are they going to put FieldTurf down in the Fargo Dome?

In terms of SIU they need to knock the whole mother down before it falls down. We'll probably keep the current FieldTurf whenever they build the new stadium. I would also like to see a video screen in one of the endzones.

Plans have surfaced, but no steps have been taken beyond that. The plan was build a new football stadium and then renovate SIU Arena. But I think that order has been recently reversed by the AD & Admins.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
well with the incredible play of your basketball team that may be needed

BearsCountry
March 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I dunno which dump SIU needs to replace first. :) What the heck am I talking about we got the facilities and they still kick our butt.

gokats85
March 27th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Bowers Stadium at SHSU:

1. Replace the astroturf (field turf will be installed this summer)
2. Get a better sound system (much better audio at Mc Donald's drive thru)
3. Replace the chairback seats (the orange seats have faded terribly, many seats are cracked or chipped, but after 21 years in the East Texas sun I expect that)

We do have a new scoreboard and a great video screen that came in before the '06 season.

There's no need for expansion, we rarely fill the 14,000 seats we already have.

FargoBison
March 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Are they going to put FieldTurf down in the Fargo Dome?

Probably not for a while, the turf at the dome is fairly new and the city installed a custom system that rolls the turf up and stores it when it is not in use. The turf really isn't that bad(besides the paint job), it is a very consistant surface and pretty nice as far the non-field turf goes.

TheBisonator
March 27th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Here's what I think for the Fargodome:

1) New field turf - This is needed
2) Improved lighting
3) Rebuild the oblong-situated press box - Make it one continuous set of windows, and get rid of that huge slab of blank concrete separating it at the 35 yard line. I will never know why they built the thing that way.

SoCon48
March 27th, 2007, 02:09 AM

The only thing social about sitting on it in the mud is that everybody slides down on top of each other.

SoCon48
March 27th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I will agree with you there paying full price to sit over there is absurd... but I still contend we shouldnt get rid of it yet... if there is someway to charge a different price for the hill then that would be great although unfortunately I am not sure how to do that ... I hope we at least add some temp bleachers this year to see how that works

Easy. If your ticket has no seat number on it, it should be cheaper. Or if it says "mud hill."

appfan2008
March 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM
how would they be able to control that though?

SoCon48
March 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
how would they be able to control that though?
Simple. If someone is sitting in your reserved seat, call the ushers.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 08:31 AM
IMO it's what the game is supposed to be played on. The NHL could go to a plastic surface too if you like.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 08:31 AM
On TV at night... yes.

Cocky
March 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
JSU needs:
Luxury Boxes-Which is in the plans along with an 5-7,000 expansion
Interactive Fan Zone
Food Court with more options
Sewage in the RV lot
Sell Beer and Mixed Drinks
New Scoreboard/Jumbotron which is going up now
More Hawkers

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM
FWIW, I've seen it work... at UVA and Navy. Students and kids love it.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I've got one for Towson... they need garbage bag dispensers in the parking lots. xnodx

MarkCCU
March 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM
increase the number of seats for ole Hooters Stadium

MarkCCU
March 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Charleston Southern needs to increase seating, replace the visitor stands, add bathrooms and maybe update thier scoreboard.

andy7171
March 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I've got one for Towson... they need garbage bag dispensers in the parking lots. xnodx
If you stay long enough post game, the Tiger Dance team walks around cleaning up...in uniform! xnodx

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
If you stay long enough post game, the Tiger Dance team walks around cleaning up...in uniform! xnodx
xeyebrowx See, now you're just messing with me. We did stay for the fireworks after the UD game in 2005.

andy7171
March 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
xeyebrowx See, now you're just messing with me. We did stay for the fireworks after the UD game in 2005.
That was a great game and a great ending show.

Let me correct myself, they come around after the day games.
xeekx Check 'em out! (http://www.towson.edu/danceteam/)xeekx

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Let me correct myself, they come around after the day games.
I'll see you on Sunday. xthumbsupx

http://www.towson.edu/~cascella/05-06teamphotos/05-06formalteamphotos/05-06formalteamphoto.jpg

andy7171
March 27th, 2007, 10:15 AM
They ain't no Citadel girls, but they do try hard!

MplsBison
March 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I'm fully convinced that dance teams are always hotter than the cheerleaders.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
IMO it's what the game is supposed to be played on. The NHL could go to a plastic surface too if you like.

No they couldn't.

On TV at night... yes.

BS.

West Virginia at Louisville looked great.

Same with Louisville at Rutgers.

Those are just 2 off the top of my head.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I'm fully convinced that dance teams are always hotter than the cheerleaders.
Usually a little more jiggly too. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM
No they couldn't.

BS.
Wanna bet? http://www.syntheticiceusa.com/

And some of the games look like absolute crap at night. The glare is awful, even under dry conditions. JMU's field looked horrible at night last year.

MplsBison
March 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well I've never seen a game (TV or in person) at night when the field had too much glare.

Maybe you have sensitive eyes.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Maybe you have sensitive eyes.
Mrs89 tells me that all the time. :D :p ;)

MplsBison
March 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
The synthetic ice is interesting.

If that system proved to skate as well as ice (to players, whose opinions are the only ones that matter when it comes to installing surfaces) and it cost less to maintain than ice, it certainly should be used.

mcveyrl
March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Wanna bet? http://www.syntheticiceusa.com/

And some of the games look like absolute crap at night. The glare is awful, even under dry conditions. JMU's field looked horrible at night last year.

Some of that probably has to do with the lighting too. JMU is not really lighted for a night TV game, whereas the bigger schools are.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Some of that probably has to do with the lighting too. JMU is not really lighted for a night TV game, whereas the bigger schools are.
The worst looking one on TV is Giants Stadium xnodx

I think a lot had to do with the striping at Bridgeforth... not a big fan.

mcveyrl
March 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The worst looking one on TV is Giants Stadium xnodx

I think a lot had to do with the striping at Bridgeforth... not a big fan.

You mean the alternating colors?? That is pretty bad. I think we did it that way to take away from the PAINTED TRACK!!xrotatehx xrotatehx

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM
You mean the alternating colors?? That is pretty bad.
Yes. Didn't like it at Autzen either. But I do like coming to games there. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
back to question at hand... I wanted to throw WCU out there and how they have got to get with the times and get a scoreboard with a video screen on it... watching a game with out is pathetic especially being my high school has one!

th0m
March 27th, 2007, 02:05 PM
So does this plan mean that the new visitors side will be normal length from the field while the home side will remain a track distance away from the field?

Obviously once they build the new press box they aren't going to tear down the home side and move it closer.

Here are a couple of facts about Bridgeforth Stadium which can be worked into logical expansion steps:

- We cannot lower the field, without it costing too much $$. There is a small lake literally 50 feet from the stadium that prevents this from happening.

- The JMU logo on our brand new FieldTurf was painted upside down, looking from the current pressbox side

- The parking deck situated behind the side opposite the pressbox site (let's call it hte parkingdeck-side ;)) was built with the capacity to support an upper deck/pressbox.

So what this tell us is, the field will not be lowered (kind of stupid when you got a new field, and a fieldhouse built for the current level), a new press box will be built on the other side of the stadium, and the current parking deck side will probably be knocked down and rebuilt closer to the field so it connects with a new pressbox facility, as well as get rid of the track gap.

catbob
March 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM

As long as there is no mud on the field, right? xthumbsupx

bostonspider
March 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well obviously for UR, the renovations really need to be "move out and build a new one", but I will miss the history of the old place...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/genrel/auto_wide/1017490.jpeg

appfan2008
March 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well obviously for UR, the renovations really need to be "move out and build a new one", but I will miss the history of the old place...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/genrel/auto_wide/1017490.jpeg
how old is that place??

Go...gate
March 27th, 2007, 04:06 PM

I prefer grass and daytime play, and I have had some wonderful days at Andy Kerr Stadium, but I guess you can't hold back progress. xbawlingx

The former "home" bleachers could also do with a renovation which would make them fewer in number, but matching with the much nicer looking "Dunlap Stands" which now serve as home side seating.

Go...gate
March 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Johnny Unitas Stadium is a beautiful ball park - a huge improvement over Minnegan Stadium, which was good for lacrosse but a bit small for FB. Towson should rightly be proud of the place. xthumbsupx

bostonspider
March 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
how old is that place??

Coming up on 80 years old. UR has been playing there since 1929....

Go...gate
March 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Climate and weather have always seemed, at least to me, an important part of the game. Sometimes you play in brilliant sunshine and a blaze of Fall color - other times you play in mist and under an overcast sky - still other times you play in mud and snow.

Go...gate
March 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Lights?!! Too cold during the day, let alone night games!xeekx :D ;)

I can't wait for Colgate's first night game in a snowstorm! Should be right about Labor Day. :D

turfdoc
March 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
No it looks like real grass from the stands...

and honestly from the field it looks like grass and just feels a little spongy which is nice and safer for tackling and cutting

xnonox
It is not safer. In fact 90% of NFL players prefer natural grass over new generation synthetics because they feel it is safer. This is a higher percentage than had a problem with astroturf (which by the way was never statistically proven to increase injuries).

The field turf gets excessively hot, and the sponginess combined with heat increases achilles tendon injuries and plantar fasciitus.

Not to mention that real grass fields sequester carbon dioxide alleviating some of the greenhouse effect (see Qian Yaling's research out of Colorado State University), they also cool urban hot spots associated with stadiums through evapotranspiration. (could help but stick that in there)

CopperCat
March 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well, I can easily say that we DON'T need more skyboxes (but the MSU administration disagrees, I guess the fans lose).

We DO need to close wrap the stands around the south end zone and get rid of those pathetic high school bleachers (which btw have been there since the 1984 championship season).

KJ Eagle
March 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
it is and you arent being a homer about it either

The bricks/fence etc that have been added look great. The only other thing (short of a major expansion) would be to get rid of the sheet metal on the front of the press box and suites. Everything else looks great and then you look up and...xnonono2x

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Coming up on 80 years old. UR has been playing there since 1929....
wow that is getting up there that would be sad to see that go

DrG
March 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
McGuirk Stadium at UMass is showing its age at 42 years. Field turf has solved one problem, and 17,000 seats is plenty at the current time. Hopefully lights are on the way within a couple of years. But it really needs a new press box, including some luxury boxes, and access to the seating areas needs a lot of structural improvement. Those things are unlikely to happen anytime soon barring an unexpected jump to FBS; there are too many other pressing capital needs on campus.

Shockerman
March 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
How about a football team!
http://www.goshockers.com/pics25/640/LI/LIBTSREITWRZQTX.20061012145614.jpg

GOKATS
March 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Well, I can easily say that we DON'T need more skyboxes (but the MSU administration disagrees, I guess the fans lose).

We DO need to close wrap the stands around the south end zone and get rid of those pathetic high school bleachers (which btw have been there since the 1984 championship season).

There is a great demand for additional skyboxes which is a good revenue source. That revenue can then be used for other stadium improvements such as bowling the south end, etc.

GeauxColonels
March 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM
The field is a GameDay Grass surface, manufactured by AstroTurf. The school is the benificiary of the Manning Passing Academy being located there. Archie Manning will be the new spokesman for AstroTurf and he requested that a new surface be donated to Nicholls State to install in Guidry Stadium. General Sports Venue, the exclusive marketer of AstroTurf, donated the field and the field will be named "Manning Field Presented by AstroTurf" - the stadium name will not change.

NSU Press Release (http://www.colonelsports.com/admin/AstroTurf%20Release.htm)

AstroTurf Info (http://www.astroturfusa.com/archie-manning/) - scroll to the bottom of the page for info on Nicholls State.

GameDay Grass Info (http://www.astroturfusa.com/product/gameday-grass.html)

No word yet on exactly version of the product will be used. There are four variations, some with the in-fill and others without. CLICK HERE (http://www.astroturfusa.com/sport/football.html) to see some of the facilities that use the turf. They include Vaught-Hemingway Stadium at Ole Miss; Ralph Wilson Stadium of the NFL's Buffalo Bills; the Florida State University practice facility and Davenport Field @ Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, TN - home of UT-Chattanooga and the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game.
A quick correction on my previous post, per THIS PRESS RELEASE (http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Spring%20Game%20Annoncement%2007.htm), Nicholls State is receiving a PureGrass (http://www.astroturfusa.com/product/puregrass.html) surface from AstroTurf, which will be installed beginnin in April. xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx

89Hen
March 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hopefully lights are on the way within a couple of years.
xconfusedx I thought you guys put them in last year?

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
That would be great to see

CopperCat
March 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
There is a great demand for additional skyboxes which is a good revenue source. That revenue can then be used for other stadium improvements such as bowling the south end, etc.

From who?

Col Hogan
March 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
xconfusedx I thought you guys put them in last year?

My understanding is that project was slipped till next year. :( :(

GOKATS
March 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
From who?

The fans, boosters and corporations with "deep pockets".

Ask anyone involved with the football program or the boosters and they'll tell you that there is a waiting list of folks wanting a skybox. They're the next priority as far as stadium improvements for a reason- they create revenue and for the most part they're pre-sold. They wouldn't be #1 on the list if they were going to sit empty.

College athletics is big business, and big business boils down to $$$$$$$$$'s.

BearsCountry
March 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Bring on the Shox! We need a true all-around sports rival.

AppMan
March 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
well we are just getting started but unfortunately our needs are not being met here at app st congratulations to the few hundred people that have thousands to sit in luxury at football games but for the rest of us there is A LOT that needs to be done at Kidd Brewer stadium and if any of you have ever sat on the away side and had to go to the bathroom you would know what i mean... also track, expansion of seating, bowling the endzone lots of improvements!

Your sour grapes and sarcasm are unwarranted. Those Skyboxes will generate revenue, which will ultimately pay for new seating on the East side. If you go back and review the initial facilities plan you will see additional seating wasn't going to be addressed until AFTER the Athletic Center and indoor practice facility were completed in 2008. Then, skyboxes and additional seating on the East Stands were to be built. However, there was so much demand for the skyboxes (they are sold out) the university saw a great opportunity to help raise the funds needed to build the additional seating. Chancellor Peacock told me he hoped to have some additional seating in place for the '07 season. Yes, the bathroom issue is a bad situation. I don't know the exact plan, but the old bathrooms near the scoreboard were recently demolished and I expect something new to go up fairly soon.

AppMan
March 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Personally I'd like to see the track removed from KBS and the existing West Stands knocked down. New ones erected with the first row far out where the track is now. Keep the same angle all the way up to the new building. Then I'd like to see the field dug up and the crown taken out and new turf installed without all those stinking soccer and field hockey lines! Next, put the same exact stands on the East side as is on the West side. Knock down Owens Field House and make a big open entrance plaza. Stretch seating between the East & West stands in both the North & South end zones. Fill in the area behind the South end zone and make it an open area with picnic tables and Black & Gold umbrellas. Move the scoreboard to up behind the South end zone seating. To finish off the project build a stadium store, restrooms, and concessions around the back of the bank area where the scoreboard is now. Seating would be somewhere in the 27-30,000 seat range and right on top of the field!

proasu89
March 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Personally I'd like to see the track removed from KBS and the existing West Stands knocked down. New ones erected with the first row far out on the track with the same angle all the way up to the new building. Then I'd like to see the field dug up and the crown taken out and new turf installed without all those stinking soccer and field hockey lines! Next, put the same exact stands on the East side as is on the West side. Knock down Owen Field House and make a big open entrance plaza then stretch seating between the East & West stands in both the North & South endzones. Fill in the area behind the South endzone and make it an open area with picnic tables and Black & Gold umbrellas. Move the scoreboard to up behind the South endzone seating. To finish the project off build a stadium store, restrooms, and concessions around the back of the old bank area (where the scoreboard is now). Seating would be somewhere in the 27-30,000 seat range.

Sounds great. Go ahead and write the check:D

89Hen
March 29th, 2007, 08:10 AM
My understanding is that project was slipped till next year. :( :(
Oh, those were temporary lights last year. Don't worry, the Hens did that for a year before installing the permanents lights, it wasn't too bad. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
March 29th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, those were temporary lights last year. Don't worry, the Hens did that for a year before installing the permanents lights, it wasn't too bad. xthumbsupx

Friends of UMass football are still raising $$$$$ to complete a couple of projects. Their first one is done, the new playing surface. Lights are next! xthumbsupx

CopperCat
March 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
The fans, boosters and corporations with "deep pockets".

Ask anyone involved with the football program or the boosters and they'll tell you that there is a waiting list of folks wanting a skybox. They're the next priority as far as stadium improvements for a reason- they create revenue and for the most part they're pre-sold. They wouldn't be #1 on the list if they were going to sit empty.

College athletics is big business, and big business boils down to $$$$$$$$$'s.

Yeah yeah, the money thing makes sense. But when I look up and see half the skyboxes empty on homecoming weekend, do we really need more?

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Personally I'd like to see the track removed from KBS and the existing West Stands knocked down. New ones erected with the first row far out where the track is now. Keep the same angle all the way up to the new building. Then I'd like to see the field dug up and the crown taken out and new turf installed without all those stinking soccer and field hockey lines! Next, put the same exact stands on the East side as is on the West side. Knock down Owens Field House and make a big open entrance plaza. Stretch seating between the East & West stands in both the North & South end zones. Fill in the area behind the South end zone and make it an open area with picnic tables and Black & Gold umbrellas. Move the scoreboard to up behind the South end zone seating. To finish off the project build a stadium store, restrooms, and concessions around the back of the bank area where the scoreboard is now. Seating would be somewhere in the 27-30,000 seat range and right on top of the field!
Sounds great except i would rather have the north endzone with no stands and no owens... just a view toward howard

HensRock
March 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM

How about some Visine!!!

GET THE RED OUT

AppMan
March 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Sounds great. Go ahead and write the check:D

Just waiting for them to call out my winning Power Ball ticket number!!!

GOKATS
March 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah yeah, the money thing makes sense. But when I look up and see half the skyboxes empty on homecoming weekend, do we really need more?

I sit on that side so don't pay much attention to the sky boxes, but I can't imagine half being empty at any game (let alone homecoming). Most folks don't realize that many of the suites (the higher priced ones) have not only indoor, but outdoor seating. So on a nice day the suite may appear empty, but in fact they're sitting ouside enjoying the weather and game atmosphere.

That aside, even if it's a corporate suite that happens to be vacant for a game, it's creating a lot more revenue in the long run than adding a few more seats in the endzone.

I think we all have the same goals, but lacking "Daddy War$$$$'s" we have to take it one step at a time- we'll get there.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I have a feeling a lot of the boxes at App will be empty week in and week out as well... i guess we will just have to wait and see

BearsCountry
March 30th, 2007, 03:08 AM
The thing with Luxury boxes is they are normally paid for in advance so if they sit empty they are still paid for.

Ivytalk
March 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Harvard has field turf and "The Bubble," but they need comfy seats.xnodx

ngineer
March 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Harvard has field turf and "The Bubble," but they need comfy seats.xnodx

Oh come on..Those concrete ledges build characterxrolleyesx :D

Kill'em
March 31st, 2007, 09:07 AM
"Historic" Grayson Stadium, in Savannah, had concrete bleachers for its first 60-or-so years before replacing them. If you didn't have hemorrhoids before the game, you sure did after.

hapapp
March 31st, 2007, 10:19 AM
wow that is getting up there that would be sad to see that go

The old girl has seen some great games and when it hosted the NCAA Soccer Final Four back in the 90's it set record crowd numbers with over 20,000 in attendance. I remember going to the old Tobacco Bowl as well as watching my high school team lose the region playoffs to John Marshall back in 1968.

I Bleed Purple
March 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Can't really think of anything at Weber State.

Got a new press box/sky boxes.
Got a new video board.
Not enough fan interest to expand seating.

Any visitors have ideas?

GOKATS
March 31st, 2007, 04:20 PM

Got a new video board.

Any visitors have ideas?

A beer garden.:D

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM

Got a new video board.

Any visitors have ideas?
I am sure there is something?...

maybe on the field then!

OB55
March 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Roast crow, and humble pie available at concessions.:)

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Roast crow, and humble pie available at concessions.:)
well maybe not that but you know maybe free steaks and beers at concession stands would be nice

OB55
March 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
well maybe not that but you know maybe free steaks and beers at concession stands would be nice
You de man!! Marketing major?

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
naw... community and regional planning... dont ask cuz i dont know what i will do with it problably city planner

I Bleed Purple
March 31st, 2007, 07:50 PM
A beer garden.:D
One of those hard to reply to.

So much I could go to.

In a serious manner, I'm not sure how to increase fan interest other than the obvious answer, winning 10+ a year. Letter to the editor in the paper said he was disgusted he and his family had to pay to get into the stadium when he brought his family AT HALFTIME. That's the mentality here.

Za-KEE-uS
March 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
I would have said a new playing surface, but since Nicholls State is installing a new field this year I'll leave that alone. I would LOVE to see a screen on the scoreboard capable of LIVE video instead of just computer graphics. Other than that, I think our stadium is pretty sufficient for what we draw week-in and week-out.
agreed, that screen is poo. I always thought it was a terrible waste of money, it just shows an N for the games, they could have just painted a big N up there.

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
agreed, that screen is poo. I always thought it was a terrible waste of money, it just shows an N for the games, they could have just painted a big N up there.
I am sure you all already wonder this but why even have a screen if you cant see replays? aint that the point

TheBisonator
March 31st, 2007, 08:08 PM
It's good to see that South Dakota State is going through with a plan to replace that decrepit, splintery wooden east bleacher section. I guess there's also a plan for a new pressbox and donor skyboxes. If they replace the east side with a grandstand that seats like 4,000 or so, and then redo the press box area and then maybe build a grandstand opposite the scoreboard end and add field turf, then they'd have one of the best stadiums in FCS!! xthumbsupx

I really hope SDSU can start up the process real soon.

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM
It's good to see that South Dakota State is going through with a plan to replace that decrepit, splintery wooden east bleacher section. I guess there's also a plan for a new pressbox and donor skyboxes. If they replace the east side with a grandstand that seats like 4,000 or so, and then redo the press box area and then maybe build a grandstand opposite the scoreboard end and add field turf, then they'd have one of the best stadiums in FCS!! xthumbsupx

I really hope SDSU can start up the process real soon.
That process takes a while as i am learning

Za-KEE-uS
March 31st, 2007, 08:39 PM
I am sure you all already wonder this but why even have a screen if you cant see replays? aint that the point
Yeah, but it doesn't show anything, just the N. No stats, player info, other scores, nothing.

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't show anything, just the N. No stats, player info, other scores, nothing.
man that sucks... asu's shows the game live and replays not too man stats and scores but all i need is replays to either booooo more at the refs or cheer a player or go ohhh ahhh over an incredible hit one more time!xrotatehx

Za-KEE-uS
March 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
We are also supposed to be moving the field house or whatever its called behind the South end zone. I dont know when it will start, but i think soon. currently the players have to walk around the building before games and at halftime, and that just wastes time.

AppMan
April 1st, 2007, 07:14 AM
I have a feeling a lot of the boxes at App will be empty week in and week out as well... i guess we will just have to wait and see

It is my understanding all 18 have already been spoken for.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
It is my understanding all 18 have already been spoken for.
well that is great but... the question is will they be full everyweek. but i guess it doesnt matter because what does matter is the fact someone pays for them and i do think that will happen

rmutv
April 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Robert Morris University's Joe Walton Stadium needs a few things immediately:
-Lights.
-Lights.
-Lights.

Did I mention lights?

The stadium was burdened with cost overruns when it was initially built a couple years ago. So they've skipped putting in stadium lights and haven't worried about additional seating (beyond 3,000) since the team hasn't sold out too often. That will change over the next decade or so.

However, the lights need to go in ASAP. Some of the key rivalry games against the likes of Duquesne could be huge attendance grabs if they start at 4 or even 7.

GeauxColonels
April 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
man that sucks... asu's shows the game live and replays not too man stats and scores but all i need is replays to either booooo more at the refs or cheer a player or go ohhh ahhh over an incredible hit one more time!xrotatehx
Yeah, it just shows the logo and then some ads (gotta make $$$$). We all thought we were getting a screen with replay capability when we heard about it. Needless to say, the dissapointment was tremendous when we found out that it couldn't. xmadx

GeauxColonels
April 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
We are also supposed to be moving the field house or whatever its called behind the South end zone. I dont know when it will start, but i think soon. currently the players have to walk around the building before games and at halftime, and that just wastes time.
Where did you hear this?

That's the first I've ever heard about replacing the field house. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

patssle
April 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, it just shows the logo and then some ads (gotta make $$$$). We all thought we were getting a screen with replay capability when we heard about it. Needless to say, the dissapointment was tremendous when we found out that it couldn't. xmadx

We have that same problem with our basketball display board. Only graphics, no video. Nobody is happy about it.

Sir William
April 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Furman needs a new scoreboard (with Jumbotron...nothing less) and above all, a new field house. Please.

GeauxColonels
April 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
We have that same problem with our basketball display board. Only graphics, no video. Nobody is happy about it.
Personally, I can understand the Nicholls State doesn't have high quality cameras on hand at the games (all I usually see are camcorders for the teams and MAYBE one or two sideline cameras for local - Houma/Thibodaux area - tv). But hell....don't waste the money!!! The problem now is that the thing CONSTANTLY has black spots where the LEDS or lightbulbs aren't functioning properly. xbangx xbangx xbangx

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Furman needs a new scoreboard (with Jumbotron...nothing less) and above all, a new field house. Please.
I agree, when I went to furman for the asu furman game there in 05 I was amazed to see no big screen a pathetic field house and most of all a relatively weak crowd... I could not believe they couldnt fill up their stadium for app

thirdgendin
April 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
I agree, when I went to furman for the asu furman game there in 05 I was amazed to see no big screen a pathetic field house and most of all a relatively weak crowd... I could not believe they couldnt fill up their stadium for app

How many I-AA stadiums have you been to? How many in the SoCon?

How many have a jumbotron (not that I wouldn't like to have one)?

And how many around the SoCon typically draw more than 14,138 for ASU games? The answer is 2: App and Georgia Southern, and with the Citadel's recent stadium upgrades, they may become #3.

With App's back-to-back championships, the game should have a higher attendance this season if Furman is 6-1 or 5-2 at that point.

BDKJMU
April 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
I really think that JMU is heading towards FBS within the next 10-15 years. The school has continued to expand its student base and has become a big school. It'll just keep happening. It's only an hour & half from DC. I think the potential is there to support another FBS team in that area.

Its 131 miles from downtown Harrisonburg to downtown DC. hr and a half going 90+ with no traffic. Try 2 hrs. xcoffeex

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Dude, consider yourself spoiled. What's the percentage of FCS programs with jumbotrons?

rufus
April 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Its 131 miles from downtown Harrisonburg to downtown DC. hr and a half going 90+ with no traffic. Try 2 hrs. xcoffeex
JMU is two hours from the middle of DC, but one and a half hours from Fairfax County is completely possible. DC's ever-expanding exurbs grow closer to Harrisonburg with each passing year. It's now just a little over an hour from the DC metro's outer reaches to JMU.

Of course, all of these times assume a Saturday morning drive to a football game. Try making the same trip on Friday afternoon, and you can pretty much double the time.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Dude, consider yourself spoiled. What's the percentage of FCS programs with jumbotrons?
All i know is it doesnt seem like that hard of technology or cost all that much and it adds so much to the game. I have been to five I believe and 3 have it (app, utc, gardner webb) and 2 dont (furman, wcu)

MplsBison
April 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Can we please not refer to stadium video boards as "Jumbotron"?

That's a patented brand name of Sony.

Daktronics now builds close to 100% if not that of all new NCAA video boards.

If you want to use their brand name, it's "ProStar".

But "video board" is more than appropriate.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM

VIDEO BOARDS IT IS THEN!

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM

Do you fuss about people calling the copier a Xerox machine at work too? xrolleyesx If you can't find it in yourself to call it D.I FCS football, I'll won't stop calling it a Jumbotron.:D

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
JMU is two hours from the middle of DC, but one and a half hours from Fairfax County is completely possible. DC's ever-expanding exurbs grow closer to Harrisonburg with each passing year. It's now just a little over an hour from the DC metro's outer reaches to JMU.

Of course, all of these times assume a Saturday morning drive to a football game. Try making the same trip on Friday afternoon, and you can pretty much double the time.
Whether it's an hour and ahalf or two hours, people from DC aren't going to travel that far for a JMU football game. Harrisonburg is not a DC suburb. Whether or not JMU can or could go up to FBS has nothing to do with Washington DC. and everything to do with the close proximity to UVa and VaTech and what conference they'd join.

Za-KEE-uS
April 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Where did you hear this?

That's the first I've ever heard about replacing the field house. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx
Coaches. This is supposed to be the next project after the field and weight room.

rufus
April 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Whether it's an hour and ahalf or two hours, people from DC aren't going to travel that far for a JMU football game.
Have you ever actually been to a JMU football game? The majority of non-students in attendance come from the DC metro area. There is also strong turnout from the Richmond and Tidewater areas. I would guess that less than 10% of those in attendance are Harrisonburg locals.

crunifan
April 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
It's really not too hard to finance a video screen. UNI bought theirs from some other school or arena. Granted, it's not the newest or greatest, but it shows replays and does the little games to entertain the crowd. Works well enough.

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Have you ever actually been to a JMU football game? The majority of non-students in attendance come from the DC metro area. There is also strong turnout from the Richmond and Tidewater areas. I would guess that less than 10% of those in attendance are Harrisonburg locals.
Only time I've been to JMU is when I was playing them and I'd rather not remember that game. xsmhx . I grew up in the DC Metro though.
Maybe specify by saying NoVa instead of the DC metro area. Because half of the DC Metro area is on the good side of the Potomac and I know Marylanders aren't going to JMU games. And the ones coming from NoVa are alums.
Richmond/Tidewater area I believe, but thats hardly DC.
I'm just saying.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Same kind of situation here in Boone... less than ten percent of the crowd is locals as most of the non student crowd comes from charlotte raleigh winston salem and greensboro areas and i think that is true for most really small town schools... the majority of your fans are alums in the big cities in your state or nearby

GeauxColonels
April 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM

And while we're at it...it's tissue NOT Kleenex! :D

GeauxColonels
April 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Coaches. This is supposed to be the next project after the field and weight room.
Well, that's GREAT news. I would LOVE to see something in that endzone to close in the stadium and give it a more college-like atmosphere. With a fieldhouse in the south endzone and the pine trees and scoreboard in the north, I think the facility would have a great atmosphere.

And ideas if they have consulted any design firms yet?

Also, do you know if there are any plans to put pictures updates of the field replacement on ColonelSports.com once it begins?

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I'd love to see UNI have a retractable roof and field turf someday.

aggie6thman
May 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
We need lights. Very, very, very badly.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 12:55 AM
We need lights. Very, very, very badly.

It's hard to believe some teams never play night games.

aggie6thman
May 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's hard to believe some teams never play night games.

We did, but then we built the new stadium and didn't make it a priority to put them in at the new stadium. Great when it is over 100 during the day...xsmhx

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM
We did, but then we built the new stadium and didn't make it a priority to put them in at the new stadium. Great when it is over 100 during the day...xsmhx

yeah....would be nice to play at night when it cools down.

AmsterBison
May 24th, 2007, 05:42 AM
The FargoDome needs more standing room only crowds.

813Jag
May 24th, 2007, 06:29 AM
yeah....would be nice to play at night when it cools down.
In Louisiana it's just as hot in at night as it is in the afternoon. xlolx

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM
In Louisiana it's just as hot in at night as it is in the afternoon. xlolx

that doesn't suprise me. It's all that voodoo magic. xlolx

813Jag
May 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Strange things can happen to visitors in the boot state xlolx

mountaineertider
May 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think that KBS could use a better sound system because I can never hear what the annoucer is saying during the game

ButlerGSU
May 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I think that KBS could use a better sound system because I can never hear what the annoucer is saying during the game

Paulson needs that too

Seahawks Fan
May 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
We have a 10 year old stadium and a new Field Turf surface.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/img_0063-lg.jpg

We don't have lights. That would be a nice addition to switch to night games, especially for the first half of the season when it is still so hot.

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM

If the stand aren't very high on the opposite side of where the sound system is mounted, it doesn't have anything to echo off of. Sometimes that is the problem, but it could be that your sound system is just weak. Won't they be replacing that at KBS with the rennovations?

ucdtim17
May 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
We also need another $20 mil to make the best stadium in FCS

ronpayne
May 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think the press boxes in Kidd Brewer Stadium will be full, especially for homecoming. There's several businesses in the western part of the state with ASU alums, and Charlie Cobb seems to be pretty good at ramping up gameday and season hype. Like others have said, they'll be paid for in advance, so the $$ will be good if it helps fund other improvements. Especially since all that money comes in up front, which is sometimes better than if you only gate paid "per game" at the gate. Now when App is no longer this hot, I doubt it, but I predict the next couple of years will be a golden era for ASU football and expansion plans - I hope they ride the wave while its here! I would be willing to bet that the boxes do sell out though, whether or not people sit in them is a wash for me. It hurts to much to look up to see who would be in them, and besides, if you sit in them, you won't be able to hear the band!

Longhorn
May 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Whether it's an hour and ahalf or two hours, people from DC aren't going to travel that far for a JMU football game. Harrisonburg is not a DC suburb. Whether or not JMU can or could go up to FBS has nothing to do with Washington DC. and everything to do with the close proximity to UVa and VaTech and what conference they'd join.

Wrong. JMU alums living in the NOVA area will travel 1-2 hours to make a Saturday game in H'Burg. They're doing it now...the NC started the rush...and the momentum begun then has done nothing but continue to build on itself.

Season ticket sales are setting records at JMU not because more locals are buying the tickets...its because our alums are traveling...and a good number are making the trip to H'Burg from NOVA and thruout the mid-Atlantic region. Heck, they're even traveling from outside the region...one JMU FB fan from Lousiville, KY bought season tickets for the first time this year and is planning on making a RT drive from KY to VA for all JMU home games.

The simple facts are these: 70% of the in-state JMU student body (or over 8,000 currently enrolled students) come from NOVA. This percentage has stayed pretty constant as JMU's overall enrollment has grown. As the institution continues to chart its growth (from a present population of 17k to over 20k) it's a sure bet that JMU will continue to draw heavily from NOVA for its new students, and that of the 100,000+ living alumni a HUGE proportion will continue to live and work in the NOVA metro area after graduation. The sheer size of this dynamic will assure that alums will be making the trek back to H'Burg in ever increasing numbers over the coming years.

Finally, the growth of JMU fan support (from NOVA or elsewhere) really has nothing to do with UVA or VT and possible "pie-in-the-sky" future conference affiliations. JMU has no realistic chance to join the ACC, nor are there any plans to move to FBS level play for at least the next 10 years. I think most JMU fans, wherever they live, understand those realities. None-the-less, JMU fans living in NOVA have grown increasingly enthusiastic about their alma mater's FB program, and simply want to support "their team" while partaking in a little tailgatin' fun. And the joy produced by those "trips down memory lane" is exactly why NOVA alums will make that 2 hour "trip" from D.C. xthumbsupx

JMU2004
May 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wrong. JMU alums living in the NOVA area will travel 1-2 hours to make a Saturday game in H'Burg. They're doing it now...the NC started the rush...and the momentum begun then has done nothing but continue to build on itself.

Season ticket sales are setting records at JMU not because more locals are buying the tickets...its because our alums are traveling...and a good number are making the trip to H'Burg from NOVA and thruout the mid-Atlantic region. Heck, they're even traveling from outside the region...one JMU FB fan from Lousiville, KY bought season tickets for the first time this year and is planning on making a RT drive from KY to VA for all JMU home games.

The simple facts are these: 70% of the in-state JMU student body (or over 8,000 currently enrolled students) come from NOVA. This percentage has stayed pretty constant as JMU's overall enrollment has grown. As the institution continues to chart its growth (from a present population of 17k to over 20k) it's a sure bet that JMU will continue to draw heavily from NOVA for its new students, and that of the 100,000+ living alumni a HUGE proportion will continue to live and work in the NOVA metro area after graduation. The sheer size of this dynamic will assure that alums will be making the trek back to H'Burg in ever increasing numbers over the coming years.

Finally, the growth of JMU fan support (from NOVA or elsewhere) really has nothing to do with UVA or VT and possible "pie-in-the-sky" future conference affiliations. JMU has no realistic chance to join the ACC, nor are there any plans to move to FBS level play for at least the next 10 years. I think most JMU fans, wherever they live, understand those realities. None-the-less, JMU fans living in NOVA have grown increasingly enthusiastic about their alma mater's FB program, and simply want to support "their team" while partaking in a little tailgatin' fun. And the joy produced by those "trips down memory lane" is exactly why NOVA alums will make that 2 hour "trip" from D.C. xthumbsupx

yup....very true xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM
W&M needs to do the following.

-New press box and scoreboard.
-Renovate and expand bathrooms.
-Close the "cattle entrance" adding seats between the 45s on visitors/student side.
-Get rid of the track (not happening...it's brand new).
-Add boxes on top of home side.
-Raise North endzone seating to original height.

All of this would increase seating to about 15,000 from the current 12,300.

th0m
May 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Tribe4SF, I've never been to Zable, but is that structure behind that endzone your brand new Laycock Center, or is that going somewhere else?

HenFaninKY
May 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I haven't seen too many posts about the Tub, but here are a few suggestions:

1) Expand the North End Zone Seating (possibly close it into a bowl?)
2) Get a new scoreboard with a real Jumbotron (not like JMU's xlolx )
3) Remove the bleachers and put in some seats with backs
4) Build a new pressbox
5) Install a better sound system

Delaware has a fine facility, and though many within the university tout it as one of the finest in the FCS, it is showing some serious age. Maybe the new president will let go of the purse strings a little bit.

NDSUFREAK
May 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
We definitely need a sound quality upgrade....but that has already happened! xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM
We definitely need a sound quality upgrade....but that has already happened! xthumbsupx

I calculated that we could do the following with only 2.5 to 3 million dollars or so:

1) New field turf and cover system for other events
2) New green and yellow seats (Green where the blues are now and yellow where the reds are)

Number 1 would cost about a million, and Number 2 (just replacing the seats) would be about 2 million, if you assume at 25 dollars a seat for 19,300 seats it would equal 500,000 (materials) and labor would be 1.5 million for a few weeks of work for 100 workers or so (and this is a very liberal estimate, it may be more like a million).

With this, the Fargodome would look so much better than it looks now.

MplsBison
May 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
25 a seat seems low to me.

Weren't the leather ones in the team room 500 each?

So I'd think 100 for plastic.