PDA

View Full Version : Favorites on gameday

PaladinFan
March 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
I realize that at homegames the idea is to get up early and do some tailgating. When your team is on the road, however, reality is that you just go to your favorite resturant on the way in, grab a bite, then go cheer your team on.

I want to know, what are your top places to eat on the road?

1. The Beacon: Wofford (chheeeezzzeee buger, plenty!)
2. Jestine's: The Citadel (nothing like seafood before a football game)
3. Dillsboro bbq: Western Carolina (car tags anyone?)

Sir William
March 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Duke's BBQ, Orangeburg (SC State)

thirdgendin
March 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
The Dan'l Boone Inn in Boone, NC

Coolhandluke
March 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
While they are not playing football currently, I always enjoyed going to the Firehouse in Johnson City when Furman played ETSU.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Don't remember the name, but there was a great Southern Breakfast joint in Boone that I loved! It was at the bottom of some kind of big hill that had what I gathered was Boone's main grocery store (and a few outlets). Kind of reminded me of a Cracker Barrel, only without the thousands of gifts to buy and the food was more homemade than corporate chain style.

Sadly, I missed out on the library, but I hear they have some good sweets there! xnodx xsmiley_wix

Bulldog87
March 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
I usually try to take some tailgate supplies with me and share with the fans of the home team to atttempt to soak in their home game atomsphere. The folks that I travel with are so conservative that we rarely stray away from the better known "Chain Resturants" that I can name any local places. Any of the All you can eat Calabash seafood places seemed to have popular when we went to CCU last season.

HiHiYikas
March 23rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Don't remember the name, but there was a great Southern Breakfast joint in Boone that I loved! It was at the bottom of some kind of big hill that had what I gathered was Boone's main grocery store (and a few outlets). Kind of reminded me of a Cracker Barrel, only without the thousands of gifts to buy and the food was more homemade than corporate chain style.

Sadly, I missed out on the library, but I hear they have some good sweets there! xnodx xsmiley_wix
I believe you're talking about the Mountain House. Good stuff.

89Hen
March 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Every game is an away game for me and I hate to say it, but my kids have made it kind of a habit of wanting to go to an Applebees whenever we go to away games. We never go at home, so it's their special deal and whatever keeps them happy before and during the game is OK with me. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
March 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
While they are not playing football currently, I always enjoyed going to the Firehouse in Johnson City when Furman played ETSU.

Great choice!! That's a frequent lunch spot for me!

appfan2008
March 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM

As HiHiYikas has pointed out you are talking about the mountain house and that is a great place to eat even when you live here... the rocking chairs out front are wonderful

AndrewFU21
March 23rd, 2007, 12:28 PM
I'll second the Dan'l Boone Inn, a great family style country diner in Boone. We also usually go to this breakfast place, I believe its called something like the Sunrise Inn, whenever we are in town.

PantherRob82
March 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I like to try different places. On the way to WIU we like to hit up Little Caesar's pizza in Galesburg. Our LC's have been closed for years.

Everyone out east told us we had to hit up Bob Evans on our YSU road trip. It's not much different than Denny's or Perkins. I like non-chain places personally.

CCU97
March 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
I tend to take my grill and all the tailgating supplies with me even for the away games since I live 6 hours from our home games some of the away are closer....Statesboro was fun and looking forward to Greenville for the Furman game this year!

PantherRob82
March 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
This year I plan to tailgate just about everywhere, depending on what the home crowd is like. At Drake you're not allowed to have alcohol. (didn't exactly stop us), and at YSU we couldn't really find any parking.

NDSUFREAK
March 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Northtown Grill.
Exit off 1-29

proasu89
March 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
The Big River Grille in Chattanooga has become a favorite spot around the middle of Decemberxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

McNeese75
March 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Black's oyster House on the way to Nichols State in Abbeville and of course the Baptist Church in Huntsville for BBQ when playing the SHSU Kats xbowx

The Gadfly
March 24th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Eatin' oysters at Bowen's Island between Charleston and Folly Beach. My dad and mom's name was scatched in the wall back when my father attended the Citadel. Sadly, it burned down, but will be rebuilt. xhurrayx

Also like to eat breakfast at the pharmacy in downtown Boone.

Mr. C
March 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'll second the Dan'l Boone Inn, a great family style country diner in Boone. We also usually go to this breakfast place, I believe its called something like the Sunrise Inn, whenever we are in town.
It's funny, but local folks rarely eat at the Dan'l Boone Inn. By the way, it just reopened a few months back, after about a year or more of renovations. It is a restaurant that is much more geared towards tourists. Also, I'd prefer not to have to stand in a long line to even get in th door.

AppGirl
March 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
We try to tailgate, even at away games. After most home games, we head to either the Mellow Mushroom or Makotos.

Kill'em
March 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM
We try to tailgate, even at away games. After most home games, we head to either the Mellow Mushroom or Makotos.
We have a Mellow Mushroom in Savannah and in Hilton Head. It is the best pizza I have ever had. We eat there regularly. My first experience was in Athens before the game in '04.The pizza was great but the georgia fans are not. As we were getting ready to walk in, a group of knuckleheads rode by and yelled "Southern sucks!"

HiHiYikas
March 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
We have a Mellow Mushroom in Savannah and in Hilton Head. It is the best pizza I have ever had. We eat there regularly. My first experience was in Athens before the game in '04.The pizza was great but the georgia fans are not. As we were getting ready to walk in, a group of knuckleheads rode by and yelled "Southern sucks!"
The Mellow Mushroom franchise started in Atlanta in the 1970's by a couple of Ga Tech students. A UGA student became their partner soon afterwards.

My family usually visits the one in Blowing Rock after App State home games. It's on our way down the mountain, and the crowds usually aren't as bad.

It was the best pizza I ever had before I moved to Richmond and tasted Bottoms Up. Both places are phenomenal for pizza joints, though.

The Gadfly
March 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM
The Mellow Mushroom in Boone used to be an Italian restaurant my whole family would frequent when visiting Boone either for football or skiing. That was the first place I can recall karaoke. The owner would sometimes get up and sing Dean Martin or Frank. Good memories. xnodx

Death Dealer
March 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Mellow Mushroom is great! My favorite is the one in Asheville, but the one in Athens has alot of memories. We eat at the one in Clemson almost once a week. My kids love pizza!

Death Dealer
March 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM
We tailgate at every game...away or home....our cooking is generally better than anything you can get at a restaurant.

catamount man
March 25th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I realize that at homegames the idea is to get up early and do some tailgating. When your team is on the road, however, reality is that you just go to your favorite resturant on the way in, grab a bite, then go cheer your team on.

I want to know, what are your top places to eat on the road?

1. The Beacon: Wofford (chheeeezzzeee buger, plenty!)
2. Jestine's: The Citadel (nothing like seafood before a football game)
3. "Dillsboro bbq: Western Carolina (car tags anyone?)"

The bbq joint with all the car tags is in Cashiers, NC not Dillsboro, NC. It's called Carolina Smokehouse and it's the bomb! Do NOT ask for hot sauce if you think it is only warm. Believe me, it really IS hot. Learned my lesson.

There is a Dillsboro Smokehouse, but I've never been in there so maybe they do have car tags everywhere. But the one in Cashiers is notorious for having them. The owner has already asked me to hook him up with Catamount car tags as well.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
March 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Usually the Catamount Club will cater in a big meal for WCU folks before the games on all road trips, so I really don't hit any of the local establishments.

We do, however, make T-BONES our home away from home whenever we play UTC. Right across the street from UTC's stadium and they love to see us come in there so they know we're gonna drop some money before and after the game.

After a game at Paladin Stadium, I might hit downtown Greenville and go to Barley's for an hour or two.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SeattleGriz
March 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
When I used to live in Phoenix, it was a round of disc golf, then beers and food at Dukes Bar right next to the course. The owner of Dukes is from Montana, so he would show everygame during the season via satellite.

When in Missoula, I usually am busy getting my brother to get his rear in gear so we don't miss the first 10 minutes of the game.

Now, here in Seattle, head to Sluggers, the local satellite bar in Kirkland for what else - beer and food.

HiHiYikas
March 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Mellow Mushroom is great! My favorite is the one in Asheville, but the one in Athens has alot of memories. We eat at the one in Clemson almost once a week. My kids love pizza!
Mine, too - the old house is very cool. I ate there frequently when my brother was a UNCA student.

He's a Mountaineer now, so we get the same pizza, different ambience.

Has anyone else ever tried everybody's pizza near Little 5 points in Atlanta? I seem to remember it being incredible, but it's been 7 years since I ate there.

proasu89
March 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The Mellow Mushroom in Boone used to be an Italian restaurant my whole family would frequent when visiting Boone either for football or skiing. That was the first place I can recall karaoke. The owner would sometimes get up and sing Dean Martin or Frank. Good memories. xnodx
That would be Sollecito's. Mr Sollecito, or Pops as we called him, was and I guess still is ASU's #1 fan. Sollectito's had good food and was a great place for live music on Friday and Saturday nights. "When the moon in the sky is like a big pizza pie, that's amore" was his signature tune. Thanks for the memories Gadflyxthumbsupx

JALMOND
March 26th, 2007, 02:20 AM
The Pressbox in Missoula serves up some really good food. Also, a trip to Montana (Missoula or Bozeman) would not be complete without a stop at MacKenzie River Pizza. Then its Taco John's on the way out of town.

Peems
March 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
The Pressbox in Missoula serves up some really good food. Also, a trip to Montana (Missoula or Bozeman) would not be complete without a stop at MacKenzie River Pizza. Then its Taco John's on the way out of town.

Isn't there taco john's in oregon?

HiHiYikas
March 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM
That would be Sollecito's. Mr Sollecito, or Pops as we called him, was and I guess still is ASU's #1 fan. Sollectito's had good food and was a great place for live music on Friday and Saturday nights. "When the moon in the sky is like a big pizza pie, that's amore" was his signature tune. Thanks for the memories Gadflyxthumbsupx
Sollecito's was at the corner of 321 and 105 when I was living in Boone. Of course, when I was a kid, Rax was there. One of the best lunch buffets in town.

I really miss Rax. It was one of the highlights of visiting Boone for me as a kid.

proasu89
March 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Sollecito's was at the corner of 321 and 105 when I was living in Boone. Of course, when I was a kid, Rax was there. One of the best lunch buffets in town.

I really miss Rax. It was one of the highlights of visiting Boone for me as a kid.
Trust me, my roomates and I loaded up on the Rax mexican buffet. Good milkshakes too. The only other one I recall was in Mt. Airy. I imagine they lost their a$$ w/ the students and decided it was just better to close.xnodx I believe Sollectio's moved soon after I left around the early 90's. The Highlands Union Bank sits now in Sollecto's final location. xsmhx

Kill'em
March 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Another place in this area that is a "must visit" is Zaxby's. This is really good. xthumbsupx

ngineer
March 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM
WE pack our own--no place makes as good a hoagie as around here...;)

74AppState
March 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM
An App State Guide to the road........

Wofford--Wade's
U Richmond--Joe's in the Fan
Western Carolina--Ammon's Drive In in Lake Junaluska/Waynesville
JMU--New Yorker deli in Roanoke on the way up I-81
Gardner Webb --Bridges BBQ in Shelby--5 STARS-- (the only reason to make any trip to GW)
Furman--Charlie's Steakhouse (in operation since the 20's-5 STARS)
Elon/Wake Forest--Village Tavern in Reynolda Village
UTC--Krystal Burger--hey it started there
Citadel--Shem Creek seafood joint in Mt Pleasant
Ga Southern--Maurice's BBQ in Cayce before the heading down the long 2 lane road to Stateboro
Boise State (dont guess we'll be back there) --Milford House
U New Hampshire--Lobster in Kittery Maine (a Victory Lobster at that)
Chattanooga in December--Big River and Tailgate all Day!
ASU home games--Pepper's Fried Mushrooms for the Tailgate

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Where's Charlies? I've lived in Greenville and never been there!

lizrdgizrd
March 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I remember when Sollecito's was across Bodenheimer from Walker Hall. The Mellow Mushroom moved in when they left.

HiHiYikas
March 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Trust me, my roomates and I loaded up on the Rax mexican buffet. Good milkshakes too. The only other one I recall was in Mt. Airy. I imagine they lost their a$$ w/ the students and decided it was just better to close.xnodx I believe Sollectio's moved soon after I left around the early 90's. The Highlands Union Bank sits now in Sollecto's final location. xsmhx
And my roomates and I loaded up on the Sollecito's lunch buffet. The eternal dance continues...

I guess it's just a fact of life in a town that is home to a growing college community. Several of my favorite places from my own student days (which weren't long ago at all) are closed or out of business. The Charlie Horse is gone, Savannah Joe's/Rafters is gone, BeansTalk is gone, Caribbean Cafe is gone, Caroline's Soft Pretzels is gone, Apps Grill is gone. There was an Itallian place out near Wal-Mart that had some kind of riduculously-huge pizza (around 30-something inches, as I recall) - it's gone. My brother is living in a huge apartment complex that didn't even exist when I was there (as are thousands of students, I imagine). He's taking classes in the Holmes Center - I don't think he's ever even been in Varsity Gym.

And I graduated in the 21st century! It's not like I've been away for 25 years. All the change makes me feel pretty old. When I'm in Boone, I just drive around muttering "none of this used to be here," like I'm 70-something and confused.

The best McDonald's toy I ever got came from the McDonald's that sat where the McKinney Alumni Center is today. It's funny how things change and how some things just stick in your mind.

dbackjon
March 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Rax was great - my first job in H.S. was working at one.

74AppState
March 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Charlies Steakhouse has been downtown Greenville SC since the 20's,on a side street just off Main, near Sticky Fingers,between BiLo and Peace Center.

thirdgendin
March 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that SoCon fans love to eat! xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that SoCon fans love to eat! xthumbsupx

I learned that just staring around at the games.

DuckDuckGriz
March 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
On Griz road games...

Lewiston (U of Idaho) - Effie's Burgers, good stop if you take that route to Moscow.
Bozeman (Montana St) - The Pickle Barrel
Spokane (E Washington) - Cyrus O'Leary's
Chattanooga - STICKY FINGERS!!

Also I know this is BCS but if you ever go to a game at Oregon stop at Taylor's Bar & Grill on the UO campus.

Kill'em
March 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
On Griz road games...

Lewiston (U of Idaho) - Effie's Burgers, good stop if you take that route to Moscow.
Bozeman (Montana St) - The Pickle Barrel
Spokane (E Washington) - Cyrus O'Leary's
Chattanooga - STICKY FINGERS!!

Also I know this is BCS but if you ever go to a game at Oregon stop at Taylor's Bar & Grill on the UO campus.
They opened a Sticky Fingers in Savannah about a year ago. That is good BBQ and the best wings I've ever had.

Go...gate
March 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I try to tailgate at all games - it's part of the fun!

Kill'em
March 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I try to do the same. I love tailgating. It is far better than getting to the game 15 minutes before kickoff and leaving right at the end.