PDA

View Full Version : Samford part of historic loss to Georgia Tech

james_lawfirm
March 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Samford Univ., the newest member of the Southern Conference, is part of an historic loss to Georgia Tech. Remember the 212 - 0 blowout that was discussed on this board within the last year? I don't remember the year of this game, but it was between Cumberland College and Georgia Tech.

According to the senior partner in my lawfirm, Cumberland College was in Tennessee (near the Alabama border), and it had a law school. CC is apparently closed now, but the law school moved to Samford in Alabama.

So, Samford's history may be otherwise unblemished, and it may be a fine school, but it does seem to have an interesting connection to the biggest blowout of a football game ever on record.

For the record, I have no bone to pick with the Samford folks, and I think we should at least give them a warm welcome to the SoCon. The obvious solution to ASU's scheduling woes this year is to get Samford in advance of their joining the conference.

dbackjon
March 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Cumberland of the football fame is alive and well - Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee.

Bark first then Bite
March 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
James_lawfirm is partially correct. Dbackjohn is 100% correct. Lebanon is near Nashville, not the Alabama line. It used to be a private college but experienced huge financial problems. It sold the lawschool to Samford back in the 1960's where it is still known as the Cumberland School of Law. At some point Cumberland scaled back to a Junior College. I also believe (not sure) that it became a public institution at some point. In recent years it has returned to four year status & even got football going again. It still needs to avoid Tech (not to mention the Big Three). xthumbsupx

dbackjon
March 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
James_lawfirm is partially correct. Dbackjohn is 100% correct. Lebanon is near Nashville, not the Alabama line. It used to be a private college but experienced huge financial problems. It sold the lawschool to Samford back in the 1960's where it is still known as the Cumberland School of Law. At some point Cumberland scaled back to a Junior College. I also believe (not sure) that it became a public institution at some point. In recent years it has returned to four year status & even got football going again. It still needs to avoid Tech (not to mention the Big Three). xthumbsupx

Cumberland is still private. Competes on the NAIA level.

Bark first then Bite
March 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Cool, I didn't know they were still private. I have a cousin, now deceased, who was an alum.

Fresno St. Alum
March 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Samford Univ., the newest member of the Southern Conference, is part of an historic loss to Georgia Tech. Remember the 212 - 0 blowout that was discussed on this board within the last year? I don't remember the year of this game, but it was between Cumberland College and Georgia Tech.

According to the senior partner in my lawfirm, Cumberland College was in Tennessee (near the Alabama border), and it had a law school. CC is apparently closed now, but the law school moved to Samford in Alabama.

So, Samford's history may be otherwise unblemished, and it may be a fine school, but it does seem to have an interesting connection to the biggest blowout of a football game ever on record.

For the record, I have no bone to pick with the Samford folks, and I think we should at least give them a warm welcome to the SoCon. The obvious solution to ASU's scheduling woes this year is to get Samford in advance of their joining the conference.
Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland 0 (1916)
There is also a Cumberland in KY which changed it's name to Cumberlands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_v._Cumberland,_1916
Rushing: Cumberland, 27-(minus 42)-0TD; Georgia Tech 28-440-18TD

james_lawfirm
March 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you all for the info. I stand corrected.

WLU78
March 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM

....and do you remember what provoked such wrath?

chattanoogamocs
March 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM

Not sure how Samford was a "part of the historic loss". Though I guess it does make for an interesting conversation from the standpoint of, how often does one school sell a branch to another school.

Unless the Samford law school played the game, I am not sure what the two really have in common...especially since the game took place in 1916 and Samford obtained the law school 45 years later (1961).

...though, by the outcome, the Samford law school might have given Tech a better game ;)

That would be like saying that Chattanooga had a part in Mississippi State beating Ole Miss in 1915 and '16 by a combined 101-0 because in 2002 Chattanooga took over the department of Computational Engineering from MSU and moved it to Chattanooga. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
March 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
1916 ! Man thats really carrying it to the extreme. Lose a game 91 years ago and it still haunts them.

Eyes of Old Main
March 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
There have been attempts to avenge that loss, though. My father-in-law attended Cumberland School of Law in the 70's and a group of law students sent a formal letter to the Georgia Tech athletic dept. asking for a rematch. Unfortunately, as he tells it, they never got a response.