PDA

View Full Version : Princeton @ Butler 9/15

Model Citizen
September 10th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Princeton's best move would be to kneecap Butler's #4 before the game. Second best move is double coverage on #4.

Game will be an opportunity for a lesser known Butler receiver to shine.

Lehigh'98
September 10th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Why is Princeton playing this game at Butler? Is this an area they are trying to recruit? Doesn’t make sense, they have a whole bunch of teams out east that would make for interesting games.

bulldog10jw
September 10th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Why is Princeton playing this game at Butler? Is this an area they are trying to recruit? Doesn’t make sense, they have a whole bunch of teams out east that would make for interesting games.

They want to go head to head with ND for those top Indiana recruits

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2018, 10:39 PM
This game is a disgrace; if Princeton wants a cupcake, schedule a traditional Patsy.

Model Citizen
September 10th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Princeton already has about 20 players from the Midwest. Like other Ivies, they recruit nationally and internationally.

P alumni are also found outside the east coast. These games are dog and pony shows for them.

Don't ask why P has chosen to play a game in a midwestern area of two million people. Ask what took them so long.

Model Citizen
September 10th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Drake is the only private school member of the PFL that has never played an Ivy League team.

A scheduled visit by Cornell was scrapped when Bob Blackman left Ithaca.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 01:15 AM

Princeton is going the route of Harvard and watering down their non-conference schedule. However, Butler may truly bite the Tigers on the backside.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Princeton already has about 20 players from the Midwest. Like other Ivies, they recruit nationally and internationally.

P alumni are also found outside the east coast. These games are dog and pony shows for them.

Don't ask why P has chosen to play a game in a midwestern area of two million people. Ask what took them so long.

Princeton was supposed to play Northwestern in 1987 after the Wildcats came to Palmer Stadium in 1986 and won, 37-0. Princeton bought out the return game and substituted at game at Davidson, which the Tigers won handily. Except for a game at San Diego, Princeton has not ventured west since.

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Princeton is going the route of Harvard and watering down their non-conference schedule. However, Butler may truly bite the Tigers on the backside.

I'm afraid so... xsmhx let's hope this will be another close game for them both... xprayx

As for "going the route of Harvard", I am afraid Murphy set the trend for the other Ivies to follow several years back, which I don't like at all.

Go Green
September 11th, 2018, 05:14 AM
This game is a disgrace; if Princeton wants a cupcake, schedule a traditional Patsy.

Stetson beat Brown last year.

Go Green
September 11th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Princeton is going the route of Harvard and watering down their non-conference schedule.

They also play Lehigh and Monmouth, which usually are nothing to apologize for.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 12:45 PM
They also play Lehigh and Monmouth, which usually are nothing to apologize for.

Perhaps, but there are no more stretch games like Hampton or The Citadel. Butler comes to Princeton next year. Lehigh is off the sked after this year in favor of Lafayette and Bucknell. VMI comes on in 2020 with another visit from Monmouth. Hardly challenging.

Lehigh'98
September 11th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Good for Butler, bad for Princeton.

Evolution Prime
September 11th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Is the issue they are playing outside the Northeast? If so, was there an issue with them playing at San Diego in 2014?

Model Citizen
September 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Is the issue they are playing outside the Northeast? If so, was there an issue with them playing at San Diego in 2014?

If the east coasters had an issue, it was that Princeton got beat.

Lehigh'98
September 11th, 2018, 02:03 PM

They are starting new series with teams like Butler in lieu of more traditional rivalries with schools they have a long history playing. If these were one offs, you could say ok, but it seems to be trending heavily in that direction for a lot of the Ivies.

Model Citizen
September 11th, 2018, 02:12 PM
If these were one offs, you could say ok, but it seems to be trending heavily in that direction for a lot of the Ivies.

Could be, Doc.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/index.ssf/2013/09/ivy_leagues_distaste_for_football_scholarships_may _sunder_scheduling_ties_with_patriot_league.html

Go Green
September 11th, 2018, 02:23 PM
but it seems to be trending heavily in that direction for a lot of the Ivies.

Traveling *is* fun. The players seem to enjoy getting out of the NE once a year.

With the Ivies collectively understanding that we're bringing in more talent than we were a generation (or even 10 years ago), I would not be surprised to see more games against teams outside of the NE that are more competitive than the PFL. Yale, for one, has been turning it up a notch with the OOC scheduling.

Evolution Prime
September 11th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Could be, Doc.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/index.ssf/2013/09/ivy_leagues_distaste_for_football_scholarships_may _sunder_scheduling_ties_with_patriot_league.html

I didn't know the Ivies had such a distaste for scholarship football they would risk loosing traditional and local rivalries.

Model Citizen
September 11th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I didn't know the Ivies had such a distaste for scholarship football they would risk loosing traditional and local rivalries.

The sky is not falling.

Go Green
September 11th, 2018, 02:36 PM

This year, I don't think we're missing much. The Patriot League is currently 4-10 this year, And they could be 4-16 after Saturday (assuming Colgate-Furman gets canceled).

The PFL is 10-7 thus far.

Lehigh'98
September 11th, 2018, 03:11 PM
This year, I don't think we're missing much. The Patriot League is currently 4-10 this year, And they could be 4-16 after Saturday (assuming Colgate-Furman gets canceled).

The PFL is 10-7 thus far.

This is true. We currently aren’t that good. Still, historically the top of the PL vs top Ivy makes for some really good FCS games. Some of those were very long standing rivalries. No reason to give that up.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 08:56 PM
This is true. We currently aren’t that good. Still, historically the top of the PL vs top Ivy makes for some really good FCS games. Some of those were very long standing rivalries. No reason to give that up.

+1

Son of Eli
September 11th, 2018, 09:17 PM
As for "going the route of Harvard", I am afraid Murphy set the trend for the other Ivies to follow several years back, which I don't like at all.

Yale has been following a different path in OOC scheduling. Besides scheduling Army Yale attempted to schedule UConn, but their overture was rebuffed. They have continued to schedule the best of the Patriot League, as well as CAA and Southern Conference opponents.

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 09:19 PM

The question is, are they going to reverse this within our lifetimes? They should realize that some of their traditional rivalries have gone down the drain due to the P5 conferences' greed as well as their usual regional opponents dropping football for good.

Now they should find new scholarship football opponents (i.e. south of the Potomac and west of the Alleghenies) to possibly diversify Ivy football recruiting bases. Else, they should go NESCAC - style and I'll be a bandwagon fan for good. xbawlingx

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Yale has been following a different path in OOC scheduling. Besides scheduling Army Yale attempted to schedule UConn, but their overture was rebuffed. They have continued to schedule the best of the Patriot League, as well as CAA and Southern Conference opponents.

Question is, can Yale schedule HBCU, MVFC, Big Sky (besides Cal Poly), Big South, OVC and SLC teams? That way, they are going to show the rest of the nation that Ivy football still exists, despite on a lower division.

Son of Eli
September 11th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Question is, can Yale schedule HBCU, MVFC, Big Sky (besides Cal Poly), Big South, OVC and SLC teams? That way, they are going to show the rest of the nation that Ivy football still exists, despite on a lower division.

Hope for Yale vs Georgia in 2029 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Sanford Stadium. The nation will then be reminded of Yale’s prominent place in football history, and at the same time be reminded that they still have a football team.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrDQ3JEephbo0YAFOO5mWRH;_ylu=X3oDMTEwcT dpNG0wBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDQTA0NjMEZ3BvcwM4 ?p=bulldog+vs+bulldog&vid=673c531efe0499a691087a48 06987448&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth% 3Fid%3DOVP.B3OoXkas07Uu5FK7s9qa8QEsCd%26pid%3D15.1 %26h%3D157%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3 A%2F%2Fwww.pbs.org%2Fvideo%2Fbulldog-vs-bulldog-lr1hkt%2F&tit=Bulldog+vs.+Bulldog&c=7&h=157&w=300& l=1610&sigr=11kt9ulrp&sigt=10j1l0t9l&sigi=12rj6pbg d&age=1511337600&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=ipad&tt=b

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 10:22 PM

You guys still play Colgate, and it is greatly appreciated on our end.

Go Green
September 12th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Dartmouth's future OOC opponents include Colgate, UNH, Towson, Army, and various PFL teams

We do have an opening in 2022. Maybe Merrimack? :)

World
September 12th, 2018, 04:53 PM
and now this is the first year in 300 years that neither Yale or Harvard will play at Princeton...usually designated as the "Homecoming Game"...this fall it will be Brown, yes Brown

bulldog10jw
September 12th, 2018, 05:34 PM
and now this is the first year in 300 years that neither Yale or Harvard will play at Princeton...usually designated as the "Homecoming Game"...this fall it will be Brown, yes Brown

I remember that 1718 season very well.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Dartmouth's future OOC opponents include Colgate, UNH, Towson, Army, and various PFL teams

We do have an opening in 2022. Maybe Merrimack? :)

Dartmouth goes both ends of the spectrum which is fine, as long as a challenging opponent is played at least once a year.

Sometimes, even the opponents that seem to be cupcakes when scheduled turn out to be tough opponents by the time the game is played. Rhode Island, Butler and CCSU are examples of that this season. The opposite is true of Cal Poly, which is now a cupcake but was very strong five years ago. Merrimack could be the best team in the NEC five years from now.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2018, 07:08 PM
I know CCSU is willing to travel South on I-91 to the Bowl literally anytime they get an invite. :)

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I know CCSU is willing to travel South on I-91 to the Bowl literally anytime they get an invite. :)

Out of curiosity, would CCSU travel well for such a game? What do your think the attendance would be? Would such a game draw better than say, Sacred Heart?

i really want Yale to schedule teams that can boost attendance. The Bowl looks very empty with 7,000 fans. Not many options out there that can draw 15,000. Maybe James Madison and Delaware.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Out of curiosity, would CCSU travel well for such a game? What do your think the attendance would be? Would such a game draw better than say, Sacred Heart?

i really want Yale to schedule teams that can boost attendance. The Bowl looks every empty with 7,000 fans. Not many options out there that can draw 15,000. Maybe James Madison and Delaware.

I think we'd absolutely travel a lot better than most FCS teams could. CCSU has about 65,000 alumni and approx. 85% are in Connecticut, so we certainly are one of the best positioned FCS teams in the area. I'd have to think we'd bring as many and likely more fans than Maine or Mercer will this season.

If properly promoted by CCSU and the local media (which it will be), I would expect a very good turnout by students, family, and alumni. I don't think we could match the attendance of UConn in the 1980-90s, but I think we would draw a very good crowd and the vibe would be somewhat similar State U. vs. Ivy. We just got over 5k for our home opener against an unknown D-II last week, so I'd imagine we'd get about the same number to for a 30 mile drive for a game in the historic Yale Bowl.

Son of Eli
September 12th, 2018, 10:23 PM
I think we'd absolutely travel a lot better than most FCS teams could. CCSU has about 65,000 alumni and approx. 85% are in Connecticut, so we certainly are one of the best positioned FCS teams in the area. I'd have to think we'd bring as many and likely more fans than Maine or Mercer will this season.

If properly promoted by CCSU and the local media (which it will be), I would expect a very good turnout by students, family, and alumni. I don't think we could match the attendance of UConn in the 1980-90s, but I think we would draw a very good crowd and the vibe would be somewhat similar State U. vs. Ivy. We just got over 5k for our home opener against an unknown D-II last week, so I'd imagine we'd get about the same number to for a 30 mile drive for a game in the historic Yale Bowl.

Ok. You sold me. If we can’t play UConn anymore I guess it’s the next best thing. I miss those days.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Ok. You sold me. If we can’t play UConn anymore I guess it’s the next best thing. I miss those days.

Yes, they were good times. Outside of Whaler games and the GHO, that was one of the great sporting event for the State. Even as a CCSU student, I would head to those games with friends from and Southern and UConn. It was all all-day party in New Haven.

Central will never have that kind of draw (and I imagine the tailgating has become a lot tamer since those days), but I bet there is a little nostalgia for that type of event. IMO - it would certainly draw better if UConn is on the road that week.

Model Citizen
September 13th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Butler may truly bite the Tigers on the backside.

Very apropos comment, considering the origin of Butler's Bulldog nickname. xthumbsupx

Here (http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/files/2015/02/Bulldog-cartoon-1024x947.jpg) is the 1919 cartoon that started it.

Model Citizen
September 13th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Offshore sports book has Princeton favored by 10 1\2.