PDA

View Full Version : McNeese Announces 2007 Football Schedule

McNeeserocket
March 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032007aaa.html

McNeese 2007 Schedule

9/1 Portland State
9/8 Open Date
9/15 at University of Louisiana at Lafayette (FBS)
9/22 at Southern Utah
9/29 University of South Dakota (Division II)
10/6 at Texas State
10/13 Sam Houston State
10/20 at Nicholls State
10/27 Southeastern LA
11/3 at Stephen F. Austin
11/10 Northwestern State
11/17 University of Central Arkansas

GannonFan
March 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Good schedule! xthumbsupx

BigApp
March 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I find myself liking that schedule! xthumbsupx

slostang
March 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Nice schedule. I would like to see Cal Poly and Mcneese State play in the future. I hear the tailgating there is some of the best in the FCS.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I find myself liking that schedule! xthumbsupx
Even with Appalachian State missing from it? More schools are announcing schedules and the Mountaineers are running out of scheduling options.

Peems
March 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Good schedule and that D2 game isn't really even D2 with SD getting ready to make the move.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Nice schedule. I would like to see Cal Poly and Mcneese State play in the future. I hear the tailgating there is some of the best in the FCS.
Best tailgating I've seen in FCS. Also the most variety of food you will see. Where else would you have folks serving alligator, or giving use samples of elk sausage, or venison?

Mountaineer
March 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Great schedule NcNeese! xnodx xrotatehx

Guess that's another one we won't be able to schedule. xbawlingx xoopsx

McNeeserocket
March 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Good schedule and that D2 game isn't really even D2 with SD getting ready to make the move.

FYI: The Univ. of South Dakota Coyotes should not be confused with South Dakota State Jackrabbits. South Dakota State Jackrabbits are in transition to Division I FCS, but I do not know if U. of SD is moving up anytime soon.

buckp
March 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM

McNeese 2007 Schedule

9/1 Portland State
9/8 Open Date
9/22 at Southern Utah
10/6 at Texas State
10/13 Sam Houston State
10/20 at Nicholls State
10/27 Southeastern LA
11/10 Northwestern State

We usually play Nicholls at the end of regular season. I don't remember how many years we done that....xconfusedx :o

89Hen
March 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
9/22 at Southern Utah
10/27 Southeastern LA
11/10 Northwestern State
Should have had Southern this year. :p

RabidRabbit
March 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
FYI: The Univ. of South Dakota Coyotes should not be confused with South Dakota State Jackrabbits. South Dakota State Jackrabbits are in transition to Division I FCS, but I do not know if U. of SD is moving up anytime soon.

USD is on the same schedule as UND. 2007 is last year eligible for D-II championships. 2008 is purgurtory year (UCA in '06, Presby BluHose '07) and 2009 transitional, but counting as a DI game.

Thank God SDSU is about DONE with transition! xthumbsupx One more xbawlingx year!

PSUVikings
March 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
look foward to opening day

AZGrizFan
March 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM

McNeese 2007 Schedule

9/1 Portland State
9/8 Open Date
9/22 at Southern Utah
10/6 at Texas State
10/13 Sam Houston State
10/20 at Nicholls State
10/27 Southeastern LA
11/10 Northwestern State

Jesus, it continues to grate on me to see open dates on 9/8 and/or 9/15 for FCS teams and the Griz playing Fort Lewis. xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

McNeeserocket
March 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM
We usually play Nicholls at the end of regular season. I don't remember how many years we done that....xconfusedx :o

The addition of UCA into the Southland Conference causes every conference team's schedules to be re-arranged. In addition to the change of date of Nicholls game, McNeese must go to SFA again this year (two years in a row) and SELA returns to Lake Charles to play us at home (two years in a row). This is a small price to pay in return for adding a quality conference team. I look forward to playing UCA now and in years to come.

GeauxColonels
March 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing. xconfusedx
But I don't think that just adding one team is the only reason that the traditional season-ending match-up was changed, it looks as though Nicholls State will finish the season against Southeastern Louisiana (a budding rivalry).

GeauxColonels
March 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM

McNeese 2007 Schedule

9/1 Portland State
9/8 Open Date
9/22 at Southern Utah
10/6 at Texas State
10/13 Sam Houston State
10/20 at Nicholls State
10/27 Southeastern LA
11/10 Northwestern State
That game against ULL is definitely winnable. Take it to 'em Cowboys!!

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
That game against ULL is definitely winnable. Take it to 'em Cowboys!!

Yup - and all of the FCS Nation will be Cowboy fans that day.

PSUVikings
March 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm pulling for McNeese all the way.....after september 1st

McNeese75
March 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
look foward to opening day

Those of us that visited your house in 2004 are certainly looking forward to it as well xnodx

boonedocks
March 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx I was hoping to see a game with ASU on the schedule. Nevertheless, good luck on the upcoming season.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
March 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM
First game of the Glanville Express on Sept 1. I'm sure the Cowboys will have the welcome mat out. Still trying to see if I can make it there. Anyone know, if I am not working, whether I could write off the trip as a job hunting expense? :D xlolx

Seriously, I still think that the opening game will have playoff implications. I still say the loser will probably have to win their conference in order to get a berth in the playoffs. Hard to imagine...

PSUVikings
March 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm sure we will win this game, McNeese will have no clue what to so with the R&S, we don't play shootouts, so we should win this game

NSUDemon98
March 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
The addition of UCA into the Southland Conference causes every conference team's schedules to be re-arranged. In addition to the change of date of Nicholls game, McNeese must go to SFA again this year (two years in a row) and SELA returns to Lake Charles to play us at home (two years in a row). This is a small price to pay in return for adding a quality conference team. I look forward to playing UCA now and in years to come.

NSU vs. McNeese SHOULD be last game of the season EVERY year.

March 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM
hey rocket,great schedule! i was wondering why...........not playing any huge FBS teams thats why! wish the rest of our league would take notice! our teams records look bad every year because we seem to be the conference that is taking on the big boys. glad one AD out of the league is not trying to make a name for himself by playing any big team that will play them for the money. did your out going AD do this years scheduleing or did coach "v" actually get to do it. if the AD did it, throw him a huge retirement party! 9 or 10 win season is possible this year and that would be awesome for the SLC. maybe we can get one of the at-large bids this year intead everybody scraping it out at the end of the season and have two teams in playoffs.

Bearkatpresident
March 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'll be rooting for ya'll against ULL.

Our FBS game is against Oklahoma State this year.

McNeeserocket
March 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM
I'm sure we will win this game, McNeese will have no clue what to so with the R&S, we don't play shootouts, so we should win this game

I am sure whatever "brand or type" offense you run is not unknown to McNeese. You are aware McNeese has been playing football a long time, and that we have great success through the years playing against every kind of offense and defense out there?

I think your statement, "McNeese will have no clue what to do with the R&S, is very disrespectful to a long standing FCS (formerly I-AA) powerhouse football program. While I will not state that we will definitely win the game, I will say that we will have more than "a clue" on how to prepare for your team.

McNeeserocket
March 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM
hey rocket,great schedule! i was wondering why...........not playing any huge FBS teams thats why! wish the rest of our league would take notice! our teams records look bad every year because we seem to be the conference that is taking on the big boys. glad one AD out of the league is not trying to make a name for himself by playing any big team that will play them for the money. did your out going AD do this years scheduleing or did coach "v" actually get to do it. if the AD did it, throw him a huge retirement party! 9 or 10 win season is possible this year and that would be awesome for the SLC. maybe we can get one of the at-large bids this year intead everybody scraping it out at the end of the season and have two teams in playoffs.

I believe we could have played a second or third FBS school this year if we had chosen to do so. However, McNeese football needs home games to re-energize our home fans. Playing away games for money can be good, but we need to get our fans in our stands. So scheduling a 6th home game was preferable to an away game.

Things are still very tough around here after Hurricane Rita. We only had a couple of home games in 2005 after Hurricane Rita. Those two games in 2005 were not well attended, as many fans were still trying to find a place to live or repair their damaged homes and offices. In 2006, we had 6 home games, but we are still trying to re-capture our fans that are still, even after 19 months, trying to put their lives back together. Many homes, businesses and educational facilities are still not repaired or replaced to this date. McNeese State University suffered over 30 million in building damage and many buildings are still closed, waiting for repairs from the state and FEMA.

Our outgoing AD is responsible for our schedule and yes, he does deserve the credit. McNeese will still look forward to playing FBS money games in the future, but we also want our fans to have home games to attend, especially right now while we are all trying to rebuild Southwest Louisiana.

McNeeserocket
March 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM
NSU vs. McNeese SHOULD be last game of the season EVERY year.

I agree with you. I think that a McNeese-Northwestern season finale each year would be great, but then I believe that the Demons and SFA play for the Chief Caddo during that last week. I think that tradition would be a hard one to break and maybe even shouldn't change after all these years.

BigApp
March 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
xbawlingx xbawlingx I was hoping to see a game with ASU on the schedule. Nevertheless, good luck on the upcoming season.xthumbsupx

eventually, we'll find another one!

McNeeserocket
March 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
eventually, we'll find another one!

I know McNeese was very interested in playing Appalachian State this year (or any year for that matter). However, McNeese wanted a home game this year and the details could not be worked out. Many of us here at McNeese remain hopeful that a game between our two teams will happen in the very near future. Until then, I am sure that your A.D. will eventually put together a good schedule for this year. Whoever is eventually on your schedule will need all the help they can get, as it appears that your team is looking to win a third National Championship!

McNeese75
March 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM

:D I bet we have a better idea of what to do with the R&S than your team does at this point in time. I love it when clueless predictions are made xlolx

NSUDemon98
March 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
I agree with you. I think that a McNeese-Northwestern season finale each year would be great, but then I believe that the Demons and SFA play for the Chief Caddo during that last week. I think that tradition would be a hard one to break and maybe even shouldn't change after all these years.

That is just the thing about it. Other than the Chief, it really isn't a big rivalry like it use to be. Back in the 70s-90s NSU vs. SFA use to be big but I think the Lumberjacks would rather channel all of their energy towards SHSU these days. On the flip side, I think more fans from NSU get up for playing McNeese these days too...especially from about 1998-2003 when every year we were battling it out for the SLC and both came into the game ranked. xthumbsupx

PSUVikings
March 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
:D I bet we have a better idea of what to do with the R&S than your team does at this point in time. I love it when clueless predictions are made xlolx

So far Brian white and the WR's have been learning from mouse every day since he arrived in portland

JohnStOnge
March 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM

Well, if the Vikings win you'll look like a genius. I think the likelihood depends on whether or not I'm right in thinking that McNeese is going to be back to the general level it was at prior to 2004. If they are, Portland State will have its hands full and the risk of losing at Lake Charles...especially in early September when the temperature and humidity is high...will be very real.

I'm looking forward to this game. I think Portland State is a solid test and will provide the opportunity to see where McNeese is.

McNeese75
March 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
So far Brian white and the WR's have been learning from mouse every day since he arrived in portland

xrolleyesx
I'm sure our defense has been sitting on the porch sipping mint julips the last week and a half of spring training. You act like this R&S is something new to football. xrotatehx

Now if you had our receivers, we might be worried :D

BEAR
March 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM

Nice Schedule! ULL is doomed. When I first read your post, I thought, geez sorry to ruin everyones' schedules! xnodx Then I read it all and thought, wow! Nice compliment! xbowx Looks like next year will be (I hate this term) a rebuilding year for the Bears in my opinion. But it will get better. I'm realistic about our chances. But I can't wait to visit the Mighty McNeese U! xpeacex

PSUVikings
March 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
Now that is a funny comment, our starting WR's are all former I-A athlete's one was a 4-star WR but your WR's are better then ours lol

We will see what happens, we don't have much to base this game on, I know we played the griz to the end and you guys were made a new a$$hole but....comparitive scores never tell the truth

time will tell

McNeese75
March 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Now that is a funny comment, our starting WR's are all former I-A athlete's one was a 4-star WR but your WR's are better then ours lol

We will see what happens, we don't have much to base this game on, I know we played the griz to the end and you guys were made a new a$$hole but....comparitive scores never tell the truth

time will tell

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh xeekx

Sorry, we are not scared of your so called 4-star WR and yes, I will stack our stable of receivers up against yours (and we will in Sept)

Be sure and come down in September. If you can handle the heat, you will have a good time before the game xnodx

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 22nd, 2007, 01:28 AM

I was wondering the same....

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
xrolleyesx
I'm sure our defense has been sitting on the porch sipping mint julips the last week and a half of spring training. You act like this R&S is something new to football. xrotatehx

Now if you had our receivers, we might be worried :D

No Offense....but I'm curious about this one????

Which Receivers ya talking about....last year some of your own fans wanted to run onto our field and kick a certain WR's @** for dropping so many passes (said he had one good year then got the big head and hasn't done well since).

PSUVikings
March 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Our starting WR's are all former I-A players, Tarver was a 4-Star out of HS, if your WR corps is better then ours......wow!

McNeeserocket
March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Which Receivers ya talking about....last year some of your own fans wanted to run onto our field and kick a certain WR's @** for dropping so many passes (said he had one good year then got the big head and hasn't done well since).

Quinten Lawrence had a bad year, but he is only one of several that were pretty good. How about Steven Whitehead and Carlise Franklin? Do either one of those names ring a bell? Both will be back. Whitehead's name ought to be somewhat familiar; as he took conference, state and national honors in multiple positions. I will take Steven Whitehead any day of the week over any other back in FCS. He is a great All Purpose back. He can run as RB, return kicks, receive passes and on occasion has actually thrown a touchdown for the Cowboys. But hey, next year is a new year and you never know who will step up to the plate and be a star. Truth is, it is just fine with the Cowboy faithful if anyone/everyone wants to think that playing us will be a cake walk.xnonox

McNeese75
March 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Our starting WR's are all former I-A players, Tarver was a 4-Star out of HS, if your WR corps is better then ours......wow!

Sorry, but being a "former" I-A player or having stars by their name out of high school just does not impress me. I have seen too many transfers over the years that never lived up to the hype and actually screwed up the team chemistry (often there is a reason they are "tranfers"). If they played for PSU last year and were all conference or all american then obviously they are pretty good players. Otherwise, they are still unproven.

You certainly are not impressed with McNeese and that is fine (you won't be the first person that has made that mistake before ;) )

I am sure you will have a fine team and the game will be a good one.

Hope you can make it down for the game. xnodx

McNeese75
March 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM

The receiver in question had a stellar year in 2005 (I do not remember him dropping a pass) but did have problems holding on to the ball last year. He is a speed merchant and most of the passes that were dropped last year were down field and behind the secondary (including at least one against the Demons). Hopefully he will return to his 2005 form. Irregardless, there are a half-dozen other receivers on the team that can fly and will cause problems for the opposing team.

Pokes14
March 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hammond Thomas was a 1-a tranfer if i remember correctly. Never turned out as well as i hoped

PSUVikings
March 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
We will see what happens....long ways to go until the game

GeauxColonels
March 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong....but receivers can only have an impact if the QB can get the ball to them. There's no guarantee about ANYTHING in football

GeauxColonels
March 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Nicholls State and McNeese State have been SCHEDULED to play the final game of the season every year since 1993 (that's 14 years in a row). Prior to 1993, the schools played mainly in the beginning to middle of the season (with the exception of 1987 which was the final game) and even opened the season against each other in 1990.

Since 1993, Nicholls State has only closed out its regular-season against a team other than McNeese State twice (both due to rescheduling of games) because of weather: 1998 vs Texas State (the reason the whole "Battle for the Paddle" got started) and 2001 vs Arkansas State.

McNeese75
March 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong....but receivers can only have an impact if the QB can get the ball to them. There's no guarantee about ANYTHING in football

That would be true, but McNeese is not the one running the R&S :D

McNeeserocket
March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Nicholls State and McNeese State have been SCHEDULED to play the final game of the season every year since 1993 (that's 14 years in a row). Prior to 1993, the schools played mainly in the beginning to middle of the season (with the exception of 1987 which was the final game) and even opened the season against each other in 1990.

Since 1993, Nicholls State has only closed out its regular-season against a team other than McNeese State twice (both due to rescheduling of games) because of weather: 1998 vs Texas State (the reason the whole "Battle for the Paddle" got started) and 2001 vs Arkansas State.

In 2001, Nicholls played someone other than McNeese the last game of the season because of 9-11-01, not because of weather.

McNeese had to play their make up conference game at Jacksonville State on November 24, 2001. This game had been originally scheduled for 9-15-01 (the events of 9-11-01 caused nearly all college football games to be postponed or canceled). The outcome of this makeup game would determine the Southland Conference Championship. It was a very long game, as the game was stopped for about two hours right before half time to evacuate the stadium because of tornados. Fans were moved to a building near the stadium while air sirens went off many times. The lightening was the worst I have ever seen and it lasted for over an hour. Electricity was lost and twice police ran in and told us to take cover against supporting walls and cover our heads.

Eventually the game re-started in a mud hole. The fans (mostly McNeese fans by now) returned to their seats to find thousands of pecans in the stands and on our seats. It seems that the tornados stripped the pecans off the pecan trees in the area and deposited them in the stadium. I wish I had pictures of the fans picking them up to use in deserts for the upcoming holidays. McNeese won the hard fought game and won the first of three conference championships in a row (sharing this one in 2001 with Sam Houston State).

PSUVikings
March 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
That would be true, but McNeese is not the one running the R&S :D

I'm sure Brian White will be able to do so, he nearly beat the Griz after being in portland for only 4 daysxnonox I'm sure he will be able to get it done

McNeese75
March 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I'm sure Brian White will be able to do so, he nearly beat the Griz after being in portland for only 4 daysxnonox I'm sure he will be able to get it done

xrolleyesx Bring money when you come xcoolx

McTailGator
March 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Jesus, it continues to grate on me to see open dates on 9/8 and/or 9/15 for FCS teams and the Griz playing Fort Lewis. xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Yea, that 2nd week open date wasn't our first choice either, we typically like to schedule that for the week just prior to opening conference play, but we also needed a 6th home game.

Would be great to see McNeese and the Griz schedule a home and home.

McTailGator
March 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Believe me, our outgoing AD is not up to the challange of an actual "Thought Process" therefore one should not read much into it.

If we could have gotten a BCS type of payday, we surely would have. Our budget has needed that type of infusion ever since Hurrican Rita beat us and our facilities up. STILL have lingering effects from that.

The UL-Lafayette game comes with a $95,000 minimum guarantee, plus McNeese gets to keep all revenue from tickets we sale at the Cowboy Box Office. Expect about 10,000 McNeese fans to make that game so our revenue could be as much as $245,000+ for a 75 mile trip.

We already have 6 home games so that $245K is all extra revenue for us.

Plus our fans have not enjoyed the pleasure of kicking some Ragin Cajun @$$ for 23 years now! WE ARE DUE FOR THIS SIMPLE PLEASURE IN LIFE.xthumbsupx

McNeeserocket
March 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I believe McNeese had been hopeful to schedule Cal Poly this year with the first of two games in Lake Charles, but I believe Texas State got the inked signed and dried first with you guys. Perhaps we can line something up in the future. I know I would like a tirip to California!

And yes, your fans will be treated well at our tailgating park where you will have your choice of all kinds of food and drink. Come hungry when you come here because you won't be hungry when you leave.

slostang
March 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I believe McNeese had been hopeful to schedule Cal Poly this year with the first of two games in Lake Charles, but I believe Texas State got the inked signed and dried first with you guys. Perhaps we can line something up in the future. I know I would like a tirip to California!

And yes, your fans will be treated well at our tailgating park where you will have your choice of all kinds of food and drink. Come hungry when you come here because you won't be hungry when you leave.
If we are fortunate enough to get McNeese on a future schedule, I will be the first Mustang fan to purchase an airline ticket to Lake Charles. I have heard nothing but good things about the tailgating and would look forward to it. I also hear that your football team is not as hospitable, but I think it would be a good game and the Mustangs would look forward to the challenge.xthumbsupx