PDA

View Full Version : Any BCS teams played away at FCS schools? (in the last 20 years or so?)

CID1990
March 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
1988- Navy at The Citadel

I don't think this happens very often, so I figured it would be an interesting topic.

appfan2008
March 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
not for app st

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Army has played at Yale (late 1990's) and Penn (1984), and Navy has played at Delaware (1980's). Northwestern played at Princeton in 1986.

GRZZ
March 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Idaho has come to Montana a handful of times. I know, not really the cream of the crop, but we had a regular home and home for a few years but they stopped scheduling us because we were beating them every time.

ChickenMan
March 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM
'85.. '87.. '89.. Navy at Delaware

bostonspider
March 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
UR last hosted a FBS team in 1986, it was Virginia Tech, and the Spiders lost 17-10.

DTSpider
March 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
UR last hosted a FBS team in 1986, it was Virginia Tech, and the Spiders lost 17-10.

Which also was the last sellout of City Stadium.

Zoo
March 20th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I never even knew that FBS teams ever played games at an FCS team's stadium. Good topic. :)

Bearkatpresident
March 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Not in football

CID1990
March 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM
What was it with Navy in the 80s? Maybe since they have a widely dispersed alumni base that doesn't attend home games regularly? Public relations? I'll bet that was the reason.

Maybe the extra PR outweighs the lost ticket revenue from playing a home game. Since they are federally funded, those revenues probably don't matter as much to service academies.

I wonder about some BCS schools with small stadiums, if there would ever be a condition under which they would play at an FCS school. Would it ever be possible to see Wake Forest in Boone? Duke in Charleston? Duke played us in basketball in Charleston when I was a cadet, and they arguably make more money on home basketball games than they do on football games, so maybe it could be done. If Les Robinson could ever get a BCS school into Charleston, I would take back everything I ever said about him scheduling those schools!

CitadelGrad
March 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
The pitch the Citadel gave to Navy was that the Charleston Naval Base would ensure a sellout crowd. Unfortunately, very few Navy fans showed up for the game and those who did were disappointed.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Wake Forest wont play app st in Winston Salem so i see no way in hell that they would come up here... seems we were beating them to much

blukeys
March 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
What was it with Navy in the 80s? Maybe since they have a widely dispersed alumni base that doesn't attend home games regularly? Public relations? I'll bet that was the reason.

Maybe the extra PR outweighs the lost ticket revenue from playing a home game. Since they are federally funded, those revenues probably don't matter as much to service academies.

I wonder about some BCS schools with small stadiums, if there would ever be a condition under which they would play at an FCS school. Would it ever be possible to see Wake Forest in Boone? Duke in Charleston? Duke played us in basketball in Charleston when I was a cadet, and they arguably make more money on home basketball games than they do on football games, so maybe it could be done. If Les Robinson could ever get a BCS school into Charleston, I would take back everything I ever said about him scheduling those schools!

I don't think Navy lost revenue playing at Delaware vis a vis some of the other schools it played in the 80's. The games at Delaware were VERY well attended and the Navy home games of the 80's were not sell outs.

I think there was simply less snotiness back then on the part of certain FBS teams and I would put Navy in that category.

You can forget that level of reciprocity in the future. Temple a team that can barely get 8,000 "fans" in a pro stadium refuses to do a home and home arrangement with Delaware despite the fact that it would be a money maker for them as a home game, which is unique. There is no financial reason for them to do this. There is only the reason that we are FBS and better so we should get the home game.

If Temple of all people can maintain this attitude you can bet no other FBS team will be handing out Home games to a FCS team.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
I wish more teams at the fcs level were able to get home and homes with fbs teams

appst montana youngstownst gasouthern uni and others with big enough stadiums should be able to do it

KAUMASS
March 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
BC @ UMass, 1982...BC 34, UMass 21 ( I believe ) Sellout at UMass, I was a high school sophomore watching the game with my high school football team as we had a friday night game prior..Flutie was the Q-Back for BC..BC used to play Holy Cross regularly, they may have played at Fitton Field @ Holy Cross as well..

KAUMASS
March 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Ball State also came to UMass as well in 1984, Umass won that game and that is the last FBS victory we have had...

ngineer
March 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Last time Lehigh may have hosted a current BS school might have been Rutgers in the 1970's....

CitadelGrad
March 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
blukeys, perhaps you guys should remind Temple that they are requiring Penn State fans to buy tickets to another Temple home game before they will sell tickets for the Penn State game to Penn State fans. It's the same b.s. that caused Penn State to end talks with Pitt for a home/home series a couple of years ago. Any program that needs to resort to that kind of policy has no business demanding concessions from a FCS program.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 01:09 AM

There were reports of Wake Forest and App State talking about a 3 for 1 deal that would include a game in Boone about a year back. There were also some ASU-Middle Tennessee State conversations (though the MTSU folks try to adamently deny those — one MTSU fan actually got banned on here, he was so obnoxious about that).

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
not for app st
App State and the Southern Conference were I-A until the television rights fiasco and reclassification in the early 1980s. East Carolina made its last visit to Boone in 1979 (as a SoCon member). ECU has made many trips to Boone over the years. Marshall, which some people considered already a I-A team when it left I-AA, visited Boone in its last SoCon season of 1996. Transitional FBS school Western Kentucky was last at ASU in 1973. No other current FBS team has ever played in Boone.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
By BCS, did you mean teams from the 6 Major Conferences????

If so....then No.

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
App State and the Southern Conference were I-A until the television rights fiasco and reclassification in the early 1980s. East Carolina made its last visit to Boone in 1979 (as a SoCon member). ECU has made many trips to Boone over the years. Marshall, which some people considered already a I-A team when it left I-AA, visited Boone in its last SoCon season of 1996. Transitional FBS school Western Kentucky was last at ASU in 1973. No other current FBS team has ever played in Boone.
which is exactly what I said... No teams that were at that time IA have played at AppSt thank you for helping my point

Catsfan
March 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Wake Forest played at Villanova in 1988.

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Florida Atlantic came to TxSt. when they were transitional...