PDA

View Full Version : Five football questions for SCSU

bosshogg
March 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Bulldog dilemmas

Five football questions for SCSU

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Monday, March 19, 2007

The start of spring practice at Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium at 8 p.m. tonight does not mark just 166 days before South Carolina State's historic season-opener against Air Force.

It also means the official start of ongoing speculation about the prospects of the upcoming season following a 7-4 campaign which could best be described as a disappointment. Entering his sixth season as head coach, Oliver "Buddy" Pough has put together arguably the most challenging non-conference schedule in school history with two contests against Division I-A foes Air Force (Sept. 1) and the University of South Carolina (Sept. 15).

At the same time, Pough has created excitement and increased expectations by recruiting his most heralded freshman class headlined by "Mr. South Carolina Football" quarterback Malcolm Long of Gaffney.

So let the questioning begin:

1. How much pressure is on SCSU head football coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough to reach the postseason?

For all his success in recruiting and leading the Bulldogs to a 40-17 record, Pough has attained a co-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship and two consecutive Top 25 rankings in Division I-AA poll. Last season's 7-4 mark was clearly a disappointment given the high expectations Pough and the team set for themselves in settling for nothing less than a Division I-AA playoff berth. Instead, SCSU was unable to rebound from a 1-3 start and Pough's admission he should have been more aggressive in his play-calling in the one-point road loss at Delaware State brought increased vocal criticism from even the most patient Bulldog fans.

A formidable early-season schedule with Bethune-Cookman sandwiched between the program's first-ever Division I-A contests against Air Force and the University of South Carolina could mean another slow start. The Bulldogs can assuage Pough from feeling additional heat by avoiding another 0-1 conference start.

2. Of the slew of returning running backs, who will replace MEAC Offensive Player of the Year DeShawn Baker?

The Charlotte, N.C., native left big shoes to fill as the second-leading rusher in school history and fifth all-time in the MEAC. More than just his versatility as a pass-catcher and blocker, Baker epitomized leading by example with his ability to play through injury and willingness to put his body on the line for tough yards.

With "Thunder" gone, the "Lightning" tandem of last year's dynamic backfield, MEAC Rookie of the Year William Ford would appear to be heir apparent as the primary ball carrier. Whether Ford can equal his 6.7 yards per carry average last season will depend on his durability and the health of the offensive line, especially junior Nygel Pearson, who's coming off a foot injury and is expected to replace All-American offensive tackle Clyde Reed.

Speaking of health, bruising running back Jonathan Woods will need to demonstrate an ability to stay injury-free for an entire season. If healthy, the Copperas Cove, Texas, native could fill the power back void left by Baker.

There's also redshirt sophomore Travil Jamison, who showed glimpses of potential when used sparingly by the Bulldogs. A potential wild card is North Carolina State transfer Octavius Darby (6-2, 256) unless he's used at the tight end position.

3. What to expect this season from quarterback Cleveland McCoy?

The 2006 campaign was truly a "Jekyll/Hyde" affair for the preseason All-MEAC first-team selection. A year after breaking the 21-year-old single-season school record for efficiency, the Baptist Hill native's play last season marked by strong starts and diminished effectiveness after the first halves of each game. Despite completing 10 touchdown passes, McCoy was intercepted nine times and took a large share of the team's 26 sacks.

The progress of wide receivers Terrence Smith, Trey Young and Dustin Dubose, as well as the arrivals of Phillip Smalls and incoming freshmen Antonio Ferguson and Tray Williams, will provide McCoy with his best assortment of deep weapons in three seasons as a starter. While Pough has remained steadfast behind McCoy, he's made it clear the program's future -- Mr. South Carolina Football Malcolm Long -- will be worked into the mix this season. Capable backup Bryan Hardy is also expected to push McCoy during spring and fall practices.

4. Who will handle the kicking duties?

Back in August 2005, Stephen Grantham was seen as the future of the program as the then-freshman more than filled in for an injured Michael Gaston by making 45-51 PATs and 9-15 field goals.

Nearly 19 months later, the Bulldogs have decided to go "Back to the Future" by reinstating Grantham after he was ruled ineligible last season for academic reasons. He joins fellow sophomore punter Aaron Haire of Orangeburg-Wilkinson, who earned the starter's job from the now departed Chris Dupree.

5. What changes will new defensive coordinator John Hendrick bring to the SCSU defense?

For the second straight year, the starting defensive line was hit hard by graduation. Given Hendrick's past success at Mississippi State and Benedict College, which ranked consistently high in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference defensive categories, don't be surprised if the Bulldogs shift back to a 3-3-5 defense. This is especially true since SCSU's top defensive players can be found in the secondary with the "Lamar Connection" of BANDIT Marshal McFadden and defensive backs Laquinn Ellerbe and Markee Hamlin, as well as a talented linebacking corps with David Erby and Tony White.

If the secondary can sustain the improvement shown after its early-season struggles and Hendrick can round his young defensive line into form, the Bulldogs could have a special form on its hands in 2007.

OL FU
March 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I hope the only hotseat Pough is on has been placed there by himself.

Nice write up. I think it has become fairly clear that SC State is going to have to win the MEAC to get in the playoffs so I don't think the two BCS schools will adversely impact playoff chances.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Nothing but best wishes this upcoming season Bulldogs!!! xthumbsupx

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Does South Carolina State think they are suddenly Georgia Southern or something? It's not like the Bulldogs were in the playoffs every year BEFORE Buddy Pough got the job in Orangeburg. When you belong to a one-bid conference and you have Hampton in your league, auto bids are going to be hard to come by. Any pressure being put on a coach who is doing a great job is just plain dumb.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
South Carolina State has done an admirable job. That's a conference that has a great program in Hampton and really, as Mr C stated, is a one-bid conference.

South Carolina State has to take care of business and win the conference to get into the Div I playoffs for the time being, but the fact is even pre-Pough, they had problems getting over Hampton in the MEAC. Pough has atleast made the competitive against Hampton and put them in a position to win.

Hampton is 11-2 against SCSU with two of those losses (2002 and 2006) coming in the last few years.

BigApp
March 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM
40-17 is a pretty good record

andy7171
March 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I find it hard to believe that a coach that has gone 40-17 is in a hot seat from SCSU's administration. Almost as absurd as Tubby Raymanod being on the chopping block at Kentucky.

blackcaesar3k5
March 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Bill Davis won four meac titles and sbn national title in 80's at SCSU.. I think he was forced to resigned or fired back in mid-80's, after having losing season.. The program did wane under Davis's successor Dennis Thomas.. But the program made major comeback under Willie Jefferies in the 90's.. SCSU's alummuns and fans are accustomed to winning conference titles and competing for national titles..

I agree Buddy Pough has done an excellent over the past five seasons.. But Pough hasn't won many big games at SCSU either.. Yea, he did beat FAMU, North Carolina A&T, Alabama State, BCC and even beat Hampton in 2006..

SCSU problems pre-Pough was not only Hampton.. It was the Rattlers of Florida A&M University.. When the Coach Billy Joe was running all over the MEAC conference with his verison of K-gun offense nicknamed the Gulf Coast Offense...

bosshogg
March 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Don't misunderstand this article

Pough is not under any pressure from our administration...they love him....the pressure is from the fans....and not to "get rid of him"

since pough has been there, he has gone

2002 - 7-4
2003 - 8-3
2004 - 9-2
2005 - 9-2
2006 - 7-4

we have finished no worse than second in the conference....but with us doing so well, our fans want more than a 9-2 season where we don't make the playoffs...we want to go to the playoffs..and challenge for titles...

I love pough....we all do..but the we want more than a 9-2 season....

with the talent we have, its a realistic goal last year to win 10 games.......so 7-4 was a let down

nobody is pushing pough out...but there is a difference in the level of where scsu is, and where a furman or georgia southern is....

we are trying to get to that level....and to do so, we have to get to the playoffs, and make noise....

basically, bulldog fans are spoiled now...9-2 and no playoffs is not good enough anymore....which, in the growth of our program and the success pough has had, its not a bad thing to want more than 9-2, or to expect it

bobbythekidd
March 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
2002 - 7-4
2003 - 8-3
2004 - 9-2
2005 - 9-2
2006 - 7-4

we have finished no worse than second in the conference....but with us doing so well, our fans want more than a 9-2 season where we don't make the playoffs...we want to go to the playoffs..and challenge for titles...

nobody is pushing pough out...but there is a difference in the level of where scsu is, and where a furman or georgia southern is....

basically, bulldog fans are spoiled now...9-2 and no playoffs is not good enough anymore....which, in the growth of our program and the success pough has had, its not a bad thing to want more than 9-2, or to expect it
Welcome to the world of spoiled fans. There has been a recognized swelling of fan support on your side of the river in recent years. What do you think about trading home games in the very near future?

Ya might want to pick another team when describing greatness on the field for just a bit. Let us get back on out feet.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I've always thought that Georgia Southern and South Carolina State would be a great series, when you consider how close Orangeburg and Statesboro are to each other. If I could pick a team I'd like to see in the SoCon, it would be South Carolina State. James Madison, William & Mary and Hampton would be nice also.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Don't misunderstand this article

Pough is not under any pressure from our administration...they love him....the pressure is from the fans....and not to "get rid of him"

since pough has been there, he has gone

2002 - 7-4
2003 - 8-3
2004 - 9-2
2005 - 9-2
2006 - 7-4

I love pough....we all do..but the we want more than a 9-2 season....

with the talent we have, its a realistic goal last year to win 10 games.......so 7-4 was a let down

we are trying to get to that level....and to do so, we have to get to the playoffs, and make noise....

Give Pough time and he may get you there. Expectations were unrealistic last season. The Bulldogs had very noticeable weaknesses to prevent you from being better (those things showed in your losses). SCSU had weaknesses on special teams and the Bulldogs were one dimensional on offense (and have been for some time). You need to develop a better passing game (never was a big Cleveland McCoy fan) and that starts by developing a QB who can pass. A couple of years ago you had one of the most dangerous receivers in I-AA and couldn't get Darby the ball. Running the ball has never been much of a problem. The teams that make it deep into the playoffs have balance and that is the biggest thing missing right now with the Bulldogs.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I find it hard to believe that a coach that has gone 40-17 is in a hot seat from SCSU's administration. Almost as absurd as Tubby Raymanod being on the chopping block at Kentucky.
You mean Tubby Smith, the basketball coach. Tubby Raymond was the very successful Hall of Fame football coach at Delaware (one of the few to win 300 games).

bobbythekidd
March 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
The teams that make it deep into the playoffs have balance.
Unless you are running the TO Offense a la Adrian Peterson.:D

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM
SCSU's alummuns and fans are accustomed to winning conference titles and competing for national titles..

Outside of a semifinal appearance in 1981 and a quarterfinal appearance in 1982, South Carolina State hasn't been a factor at the national level. The Bulldogs haven't won a MEAC title since 1994. If Bulldog alums think that their team should be playing for national titles, they are over-reaching quite a bit. Start by making the playoffs first and move up from there. And let's be serious, Florida A&M is the ONLY team to win a national title from the MEAC and the Rattlers did that in 1978. The MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999, when FAMU and North Carolina A&T won first-round games and FAMU advanced to the semifinals. The MEAC has a lot of work to do to compete for national titles again.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Unless you are running the TO Offense a la Adrian Peterson.
True enough, but in the past two seasons, the only teams that have won national titles at ANY level of the NCAA have had the balance of the no huddle spread. That appears to be to modern college football what the option was in years past.

One thing to remember about the Georgia Southern option, the Eagles won titles when they had a fantastic frontman to lead the way (Tracy Ham and Raymond Gross in the early years and Adrian Peterson in the late 1990s).

bobbythekidd
March 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
True enough, but in the past two seasons, the only teams that have won national titles at ANY level of the NCAA have had the balance of the no huddle spread. That appears to be to modern college football what the option was in years past.

One thing to remember about the Georgia Southern option, the Eagles won titles when they had a fantastic frontman to lead the way (Tracy Ham and Raymond Gross in the early years and Adrian Peterson in the late 1990s).
Mr. C,
I picked ASU to finish in the 2 or 3 position before the season started. I saved the email I sent to friend b/c we had a bet on it. (Montana was #1). I don’t claim to be a FCS expert but I can run numbers with the best of them. What scares me even more is that ASU stands a great chance of being even better than last year. Skill positions are still in place and the LOS is only getting more experience (at least on the point scoring side of the ball).
I would not be afraid to say there just may be the first 3 peat in our history. You scare the crap out of me, and everyone in FCS.

I hope am wrong for OUR sake, but if it comes to fruition, may it be a SoCon brother.

bobbythekidd
March 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
My apologies,

I did not mean to hijack the thread.:o Please continue with SCSU disscusion...xnodx

bosshogg
March 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the world of spoiled fans. There has been a recognized swelling of fan support on your side of the river in recent years. What do you think about trading home games in the very near future?

Ya might want to pick another team when describing greatness on the field for just a bit. Let us get back on out feet.

GSU will be back on their feet in no time at all.

I would love for SCSU and GSU to trade home games....actually, most of our fans would want that as an annual game.

We'll see what happens

R.A.
March 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Give Pough time and he may get you there. Expectations were unrealistic last season. The Bulldogs had very noticeable weaknesses to prevent you from being better (those things showed in your losses). SCSU had weaknesses on special teams and the Bulldogs were one dimensional on offense (and have been for some time). You need to develop a better passing game (never was a big Cleveland McCoy fan) and that starts by developing a QB who can pass. A couple of years ago you had one of the most dangerous receivers in I-AA and couldn't get Darby the ball. Running the ball has never been much of a problem. The teams that make it deep into the playoffs have balance and that is the biggest thing missing right now with the Bulldogs.

I agree Cleveland McCoy should have really stepped it up last season, it was supposed to be the season where he emerged as a top player in I-AA football... but it didn't happen.

The first game of the season, if coaching wasn't getting it done in the second half versus Wofford then Cleveland should have stepped it up and assume the leadership role... samething versus SCSU and Del State, you need to be able to communicate with your head coach and tell him when to go for it, and when to kick the field goal. Those were 28-21 & 10-9 loses where I believe the Bulldogs had the lead at halftime.

If anything, they should have finished 9-2 again... the Coastal and Bethune Cookman games, I understand that they were defeated soundly coaching wise in both.

This season, 9-2 is wishful thinking. If they're luck... 8-3, and the committee might just let them slide in because of their strength of schedule.

Bulldog87
March 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I agree Cleveland McCoy should have really stepped it up last season, it was supposed to be the season where he emerged as a top player in I-AA football... but it didn't happen.

The first game of the season, if coaching wasn't getting it done in the second half versus Wofford then Cleveland should have stepped it up and assume the leadership role... samething versus SCSU and Del State, you need to be able to communicate with your head coach and tell him when to go for it, and when to kick the field goal. Those were 28-21 & 10-9 loses where I believe the Bulldogs had the lead at halftime.

If anything, they should have finished 9-2 again... the Coastal and Bethune Cookman games, I understand that they were defeated soundly coaching wise in both.

This season, 9-2 is wishful thinking. If they're luck... 8-3, and the committee might just let them slide in because of their strength of schedule.We wre either tied or losing to Coastal by 1 point at halftime. CCU's staff made adjustments and we didn't. A fumble at the goal line that could've tied the game that we lost killed any chance that we had and it became "A tear in my Beer time" in the 3rd quarter for me. We were leading BCC 14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and their staff changed from the "Wyattbone" to the passing game and our HC admitted that he didn't adjust to BCC"s change out of fear that the running game(That we had shut down) would kill us. Sounds like lack of countering to ypou opponents adjustments to me. You make the call. SCSU had at least as much talent if not more than each oponent that we faced last season. This is the reason that the Bulldog faithful were disappointed with a 7-4 finish.xmadx

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Having seen the SCSU-CCU game, I thought it was more a matter of the better team winning. If CCU hadn't had some special teams breakdowns, the game wouldn't have been that close.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM

This season, 9-2 is wishful thinking. If they're luck... 8-3, and the committee might just let them slide in because of their strength of schedule.
I never thought McCoy had an accurate enough arm to be a top-shelf FCS QB. He was good at other things and had nice mobility, but he was always suspect as a passer.

Bulldog87
March 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Having seen the SCSU-CCU game, I thought it was more a matter of the better team winning. If CCU hadn't had some special teams breakdowns, the game wouldn't have been that close. They may have had an evn or slightly better team. All I'm saying that lack of adjustments on our part took any chance that we had to win the game away in the 2nd half. Your example is proof of that. CCU corrected the special teams mistakes that you're referring to. We made no adjustments at all and turned what should've been a great 2nd half into a massacre.xmadx