PDA

View Full Version : App Spring game this Saturday March 24

appfan2008
March 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
10 am Kidd Brewer Stadium will host the annual Spring football game that will be open to the public
should be fun...
who else will be there?

AppAlum2003
March 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'll be making the long trek up the mountain from Hickory... and this trip has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I also get to eat at Mellow Mushroom... absolutely nothing. xwhistlex

AppGuy04
March 20th, 2007, 10:49 AM
haha, we have a spring game before we even have a schedule, now thats hilarious!

appfan2008
March 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
actually i find it to be rather sad

Jiggs
March 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Why no schedule yet?

I vacation at Sugar Mtn a few times a year, so being a Samford alum, I'm looking forward to seeing my Dogs play in Boone (and Cullowhee) in the near future.

I attended a SU/WCU game a few years ago in Cullowhee a few years ago and liked the CATS vs DOGS on the scoreboard.:)

The Moody1
March 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
"Why no schedule yet?"

Because you guys aren't in until '08. xthumbsupx We actually have two spots to fill. I think we are holding out to find an FCS team schedule before we are forced to add whatever Div-II's we can find. Our scheduling is a problem and when asked about Samford joining the SoCon the only positive comment our AD made was that it would be one less game he would have to worry about scheduling.

catamount man
March 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Why no schedule yet?

I vacation at Sugar Mtn a few times a year, so being a Samford alum, I'm looking forward to seeing my Dogs play in Boone (and Cullowhee) in the near future.

I attended a SU/WCU game a few years ago in Cullowhee a few years ago and liked the CATS vs DOGS on the scoreboard.:)

Lookimg forward to Samford coming up to Cullowhee again and welcome to the SoCon!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Mountaineer#96
March 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Why no schedule yet?

Can't wait for Samford to show up xnodx xnodx we like snacks......... but yes fellas I'll be at the spring game.

appfan2008
March 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
it should be nice that day so there wont be any reason for app fans not to be there
plus it will be a great time for all of us to get up close and personal to the action taking place at the press box

AppStateMan
March 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
When is the ring ceremony and when does the new DVD come out??

SoCon48
March 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Can't wait for Samford to show up xnodx xnodx we like snacks......... but yes fellas I'll be at the spring game.
Umm, not sure but I think we have to drive the 9 hrs down to Alabama first.

gvilleapp
March 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
I can't believe this was scheduled the same day as the Busch race in Bristol. I can't take the chance on missing the start of the race over the mountains to be at Kidd Brewer. I will be in Boone only in spirit. Somebody give us a good report please.

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
I can't believe this was scheduled the same day as the Busch race in Bristol. I can't take the chance on missing the start of the race over the mountains to be at Kidd Brewer. I will be in Boone only in spirit. Somebody give us a good report please.
arent nextel cup races on sunday??? couldnt you be in boone saturday and bristol sunday?

gvilleapp
March 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM
arent nextel cup races on sunday??? couldnt you be in boone saturday and bristol sunday?
I have tixs to the Busch race on Saturday. Hard to get tickets for a Nextel Cup race at Bristol and if you can locate them they are expensive. Heck, the Busch tixs were $67 each, but it's a great show.

appfan2008
March 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
any agsers at the spring game today???

proasu89
March 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Aye

Mr. C
March 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Yes. There was a much smaller crowd this year (probably because of having it on Saturday morning).

The App State offense was incredible, even minus its top three RBs (Kevin Richardson sat out with some minor dings). Armanti Edwards and Trey Elder were both exceptional today (talked to both afterwards). Edwards is doing a great job reading defenses and has learned the other options on the pass routes (he knows more than the first two options now). He is also throwing the ball a lot better. On his first run of the day, Edwards turned nothing into about a 60-yard TD.

Elder was sharp in all aspects and said his arm felt better than it had in two years. Elder's little brother Blake was an eye-catcher as a WR today, particularly as a possession guy and a blocker. James Hill nearly ran a kickoff back for a TD and Dexter Jackson had TWO punt returns for touchdowns. T.J. Courman also had a pair of long runs for TDs.

On defense, DE Tony Robertson had a great day and has had a great spring. He will be Marques Murrell's replacement. Just pass along the mantle, ASU looks like it will be as good as ever at DE. Billy Riddle, Jeremy Wiggins' replacement at safety, had a TD on a return of blocked kick for a TD after Cortez Gilbert blocked it.

Jerry Moore gave his usual talk afterwards about guarding against complancy ...

proasu89
March 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yes. There was a much smaller crowd this year (probably because of having it on Saturday morning).

The App State offense was incredible, even minus its top three RBs (Kevin Richardson sat out with some minor dings). Armanti Edwards and Trey Elder were both exceptional today (talked to both afterwards). Edwards is doing a great job reading defenses and has learned the other options on the pass routes (he knows more than the first two options now). He is also throwing the ball a lot better. On his first run of the day, Edwards turned nothing into about a 60-yard TD.

Elder was sharp in all aspects and said his arm felt better than it had in two years. Elder's little brother Blake was an eye-catcher as a WR today, particularly as a possession guy and a blocker. James Hill nearly ran a kickoff back for a TD and Dexter Jackson had TWO punt returns for touchdowns. T.J. Courman also had a pair of long runs for TDs.

On defense, DE Tony Robertson had a great day and has had a great spring. He will be Marques Murrell's replacement. Just pass along the mantle, ASU looks like it will be as good as ever at DE. Billy Riddle, Jeremy Wiggins' replacement at safety, had a TD on a return of blocked kick for a TD after Cortez Gilbert blocked it.

Jerry Moore gave his usual talk afterwards about guarding against complancy ...

What was your take on the kick returns? It's hard for me to tell (when it's your own players on both sides of the ball) Excellent returns(I hope) or poor coverage? Gilbert's block was extremely loud. I couldn't tell if he got a hand on it or if it hit him in the chest. Either way, it had to have hurt an awful lot. Guarded optimism is the best way to put it. We looked good in several areasxthumbsupx

Mr. C
March 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Obviously, they don't spend as much time on coverage units in the spring as they do on other things. But Dexter Jackson is quite a weapon and so is James Hill (think Rhode Island would like him back now?). Cortez Gilbert got the block with his hand. He was still shaking it sometime after the block. It must have hurt.

I think this is the year that the ASU offense really blossoms into something special. It has been good, but I think it can become even more explosive in 2007. The defense has to show some improvement on the inside, but otherwise I think it will be in good shape, too, with all of those seniors in the secondary and the young talent everywhere else.

Appguy
March 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Already had the ring ceremony -
http://photos-802.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v72/219/104/29716448/n29716448_32125802_1571.jpg
http://photos-672.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v64/158/12/29715960/n29715960_32126672_3511.jpg

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Obviously, they don't spend as much time on coverage units in the spring as they do on other things. But Dexter Jackson is quite a weapon and so is James Hill (think Rhode Island would like him back now?). Cortez Gilbert got the block with his hand. He was still shaking it sometime after the block. It must have hurt.

I think this is the year that the ASU offense really blossoms into something special. It has been good, but I think it can become even more explosive in 2007. The defense has to show some improvement on the inside, but otherwise I think it will be in good shape, too, with all of those seniors in the secondary and the young talent everywhere else.
Mr. C- Would App be your early favorite to win the title again?

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 01:12 AM
No question about that. Someone has to step up and show they are a contender the way UMass did last year. Right now, I'd say Montana is the team most likely to contend with ASU.

Appattk
March 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Already had the ring ceremony -
http://photos-802.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v72/219/104/29716448/n29716448_32125802_1571.jpg
http://photos-672.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v64/158/12/29715960/n29715960_32126672_3511.jpg

Ok... That is Justice Hall. Right?

How do I know?

See the dingy yellowing ceiling tiles
The Yellowing (once white) wall paint
The wiring on the "outside" of the walls going up and down the hallways.
The sink in the dorm room (after years of people not wanting to go in the middle of the night, where does it all end up... Oh yeah.)
The general discontent of students as shown by the "gestures"

Oh yeah... it's Justice Hall.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah that piece of crap dorm is where the two time defending national champs house their players!...

SAD BUT TRUE

proasu89
March 26th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ok... That is Justice Hall. Right?

How do I know?

See the dingy yellowing ceiling tiles
The Yellowing (once white) wall paint
The wiring on the "outside" of the walls going up and down the hallways.
The sink in the dorm room (after years of people not wanting to go in the middle of the night, where does it all end up... Oh yeah.)
The general discontent of students as shown by the "gestures"

Oh yeah... it's Justice Hall.
I spent a year in Purgatory. Man that placed smelled bad. Big rooms though

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
the sink in the room and the location on campus may be the only plus sides to that place...

SoCon48
March 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I spent a year in Purgatory. Man that placed smelled bad. Big rooms though

We were three to a room when I was in it. Snowed in through the windows.

proasu89
March 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM
We were three to a room when I was in it. Snowed in through the windows.
Luckily there was only 2 of us in it. We bunked the beds and had room left over for a couch. This was palatial after spending a year in Coltrane where you could stand in the middle of the room and almost touch both wallsxsmhx

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Luckily there was only 2 of us in it. We bunked the beds and had room left over for a couch. This was palatial after spending a year in Coltrane where you could stand in the middle of the room and almost touch both wallsxsmhx
coltrane was my home freshman year and we bunked the beds because if they were side by side they would basically touch... even bunked we couldnt fit any furniture in coltrane so the room absolutely sucked!xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

SoCon48
March 27th, 2007, 02:13 AM
We bunked two and the other had a cot. One desk, three peeps. One sink, 3 peeps. Two closets.

Black Saturday
March 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
No question about that. Someone has to step up and show they are a contender the way UMass did last year. Right now, I'd say Montana is the team most likely to contend with ASU.

I certainly hope that Montana steps up, because App owes them a game
from the playoffs in Missoula several years ago. Been wanting a chance to even the score. My hopes last year was to meet in Boone or Chattanooga somehow, Montana just did not keep up their end of my bargain. ;) Anyway, UMass had a really good team and offered a heck of a challenge.

Mr. C, I agree with your scouting and assessment of the 2007 team. IMO the defense will have to develop and mature on the line and prove themselves to be as dominant as 2006. Day 1 of 2006, I knew that App had a chance repeat with the defense carrying the load. BCS offenses just could not score more than a time or two on the first team.
Gut feeling is the same in 2007, roles reversed with the offense leading the way. I just don't think that any BCS team has the athletes to stop the spread option with 4-5 receivers each play. The playmakers: When I saw Armanti's wheels against JMU last season I knew that he was special. I haven't seen many with his natural ability in I-AA over the years. How many games above 40 points last year? Could there be more points per game this season? As much of a fan of Kevin Richardson (played high school ball in a nearby town) as I have been since I learned he was playing football at APP (I knew and said he had the ability to be one of APPs best ever and he has) and as much as I would like to see him win the Payton, I am going to say that Armanti (barring injury) will be the first Payton winner from APP.

Sorry for getting OT

Black Saturday
March 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah that piece of crap dorm is where the two time defending national champs house their players!...

SAD BUT TRUE

Justice had the largest rooms on campus when I lived there in 1983. I thought it was pretty good compared to others.