PDA

View Full Version : Big South Expansion News Conference

Pages : [1] 2

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
After all of the speculation, we'll find out Tuesday afternoon at 2pm ET what the Big South has done to work its way toward the auto bid.

We've discussed ad nauseum the possibility of two NY schools coming into the league as affiliate members in football as a scheduling convenience. Tomorrow we'll find out the details.

(Cue the incendiary derision from the FCS Nation)

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
This member of the FCS nation thinks it makes perfect sense.

Go...gate
March 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
This member of the FCS nation agrees. Change is certainly in the air.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Gateway SoCon Big South.

I can't take anymore.

I need a vacationxrotatehx xsmiley_wix

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
How is New York in the fall?

BigApp
March 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
it's very Placid!

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Depends on when the game is scheduled....if it is late Oct on...you will get cold SJ....but then again you moved to colder weather when you left MB.

CoastalFan2005
March 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling the two previously mentioned teams will be saying "Bye-Bye" to the NEC. xnodx xwhistlex xthumbsupx

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Basically I need to pray that the game up there is scheduled to open off the conference season.

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
yep...Jerry wouldn't like too many of the other options to stay warm....

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I have a feeling the two previously mentioned teams will be saying "Bye-Bye" to the NEC. xnodx xwhistlex xthumbsupx

Stony Brook already did - they are Independent this year.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Assuming the combination is announced it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be from the NCAA regarding the AQ

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Any of you mathematics wizards won't to see what the GPI says about this combinationxeyebrowx

and since I am not one you can give us the answer when you are donexsmiley_wix

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
This wouldn't be going down without some discussion between the parties already.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
This wouldn't be going down without some discussion between the parties already.

Which Parties?

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
If this goes down...you bet your asses that the NCAA has been contacted by the schools, and the league, to "feel out" an auto-bid. Again, there would be zero reason for SBU and Albany to join if they felt an autobid would not be given, considering the cost increase for travel.

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
This hasn't gone down quickly.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I was one of those that thought the idea was not a good one. But that was because I did not see any guaranty of getting the AQ. If that happens, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and the idea is a good one.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
The NCAA would be hard pressed to deny a full-scholarship league an auto-bid.

Again, from a legal standpoint say hello to "ANTI-TRUST." Only one league, Major League Baseball, is exempt from the Sherman Act. The NCAA would sully its rep if the Big South applied in 2010...and was denied. It would get REALLY REALLY UGLY!

Go...gate
March 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I was one of those that thought the idea was not a good one. But that was because I did not see any guaranty of getting the AQ. If that happens, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and the idea is a good one.

I'm surprised - adding SBU and Albany would seem like an expensive and unwieldy stopgap measure just to get an autoqualifier. Travel costs certainly are not going down for athletics in general.

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'm surprised - adding SBU and Albany would seem like an expensive and unwieldy stopgap measure just to get an autoqualifier. Travel costs certainly are not going down for athletics in general.

For the BSC teams it is only one away trip to NY per year. Not too bad. It is more of an expense for Albany and Stony Brook - but it appears that they really want in the playoffs.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM

And I agree, but the alternative may be to wait a very very long time.
My concern was the combo would be done without a committment and the conference would have to wait. I see the benefits with getting it quickly. Is 2010 the year with respect to Albany and Stoneybrook have the right number of scholarships?

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Any of you mathematics wizards won't to see what the GPI says about this combinationxeyebrowx

and since I am not one you can give us the answer when you are donexsmiley_wix

Ask and you shall receive my friend.

The BSC average this year was 46.866. Adding Albany and Stony Brook would drop it to 50.064 - but the BSC would still be in 7th place - just barely though.

With added scholarships and a tougher schedule for the NY teams the GPI should do nothing but improve if the BSC schools stay the course, but many are predicting that the core 5 will improve as well.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Think about the recruiting as well. Albany has proven it can recruit in Texas, Georgia, Virginia, and Florida...with very limited rides. Full rides and a very good school (huge public research university within a 2.5-3.5 hour drive of Boston, NYC, and Montreal) is a selling point.

Toss in two new stadiums (Albany's is on the way...hopefull a fall ground-breaking) and you are going to tap in the Southern market.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
So are we thinking an AQ is added or a conference is dropped?

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Ask and you shall receive my friend.

The BSC average this year was 46.866. Adding Albany and Stony Brook would drop it to 50.064 - but the BSC would still be in 7th place - just barely though.

With added scholarships and a tougher schedule for the NY teams the GPI should do nothing but improve if the BSC schools stay the course, but many are predicting that the core 5 will improve as well.

With OOC games against the likes of Montana, the cream of the PL, and the CAA schools, plus the Big South schedule....UA and SBU would easily have a major GPI boost.

As for the schollies, SBU will be at 63 in two years...Albany can get to at least 45 by that time...maybe more...but we would have to get some sources of funding.

Our rise in hoops has given us access to more $$ than in previous years, from alumni.

OL FU
March 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
For the BSC teams it is only one away trip to NY per year. Not too bad. It is more of an expense for Albany and Stony Brook - but it appears that they really want in the playoffs.

xthumbsupx

Go...gate
March 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Will this mean the end of our upcoming series with both schools due to necessary scheduling changes?

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I am thinking added. I really believe...you will see some min requirements rule...plus an added 8 bids (24 total).

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Is 2010 the year with respect to Albany and Stoneybrook have the right number of scholarships?

A conference has to be together for two years before they're eligible.

The thing to remember is that no conference is GUARANTEED a playoff bid. The SoCon, CAA, etc are not guaranteed a bit. It just so happens that there are currently 8 conferences eligible and 8 bids. Just because you're eligible doesn't mean you are going to be picked. My dating life is evidence of that.

With that being said, it may come down to a year by year basis. The NCAA may say, "If your schools compete like you say they can, they'll get the bid, but if another conference is more deserving, they'll get it."

DTSpider
March 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Quick question, is this just for football or all sports?

Just for football this is a great idea IMO. However, for all sports it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dane96
Yes...agreed SuperJon. Problem is...do we REALLY THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN? Do you really see the NCAA wanting to deal with phone calls and perceived slights on the issue.

The easiest thing to do is add bids...solves the worries. The "losing" conference could simply say "WELL...if you guys can do it in DII and DIII, adding the extra bids should be no problem in FCS.

Forgetting the arguments posted ad nauseum here, those proponents would be correct (the Bowl and Christmas arguments are futile).

Dane96
No...if UA and SBU are indeed joining, it is for football only. UA is pretty dominant in the AE since we have joined.

mcveyrl
March 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
The thing to remember is that no conference is GUARANTEED a playoff bid. The SoCon, CAA, etc are not guaranteed a bit. It just so happens that there are currently 8 conferences eligible and 8 bids. Just because you're eligible doesn't mean you are going to be picked. My dating life is evidence of that.

With that being said, it may come down to a year by year basis. The NCAA may say, "If your schools compete like you say they can, they'll get the bid, but if another conference is more deserving, they'll get it."

I don't understand that first paragraph. I thought that the winners of the AQ conferences got bids, regardless.

Also, I think the auto bids need to at least be set by the beginning of the year, otherwise, they might as well all be at-large's.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Here is the BIGGER question: What is the Big South buyout for this marriage. We all know that SBU and UA would like to position themselves (and they are in other sports) for what we all think will be a Big East, CAA, Conf-USA, Patriot (Richmond, W &M, Villanova possibility) A-Ten (this league is doomed as is), and potential move up by some teams in these leagues, shakeup.

If the shakeup occurs and the football schools in the A-Ten and CAA conferences wish to align in some new style Yankee Conference, what will the Big South require Albany and SBU to pay?!

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM
After all of the speculation, we'll find out Tuesday afternoon at 2pm ET what the Big South has done to work its way toward the auto bid.

We've discussed ad nauseum the possibility of two NY schools coming into the league as affiliate members in football as a scheduling convenience. Tomorrow we'll find out the details.

(Cue the incendiary derision from Mr. C and the rest of the FCS Nation)
And what is that suppose to mean? What a dumb comment. Let's keep the smack on the smack board, please.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I don't understand that first paragraph. I thought that the winners of the AQ conferences got bids, regardless.

Also, I think the auto bids need to at least be set by the beginning of the year, otherwise, they might as well all be at-large's.

Correct, they are chosen before the season.

Jon's first paragraph is deceiving, but correct. As of now, the BIG SOUTH, GWFC, SWAC, and IVY are in different positions. The BIG SOUTH adn GWFC are not eligible period...for an autobid.

THE IVY and SWAC ARE...but choose not to particpate. SO, out of the eligible conferences, there happens to be 8 ELIGIBLE CONFERENCES for 8 AUTOBID SPOTS.

The 8 AUTOBID requirement is mandated by NCAA by-laws which state, in part, that the FCS division must feature HALF OF THE NUMBER OF PLAYOFF SPOTS AS AUTOBIDS. 16 playoff spots...8 autobids.

Currently, there happens to be 10 leagues eligible for 8 spots, however 2 choose not to be included, thus the 8 bids fulfill the required number.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
So are we thinking an AQ is added or a conference is dropped?
There cannot be an additional auto bid given out without a major rules change and there is a process for doing that. Like someone else pointed out, conferences have to be together for two years to be considered. Any announcement by the Big South is just getting themselves ready for the future.

walliver
March 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if the NCAA, when the Big South becomes eligible, will 1) expand to 32 teams in the playoffs (too many IMHO), 2) expand to 24 teams (A fairer number, but still too many unworthy teamsxtwocentsx ), or 3) start a play-in game.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
You are not hijacking...I stated the same above. I really believe that it goes to 24.

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
http://thesunnews.typepad.com/beach_chicken_chatter/

Albany coach stating he doesn't know anything about a move to the BSC and doesn't believe it will happen.....so that being said any guesses as if there is a 2nd team and if so who?

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if the NCAA, when the Big South becomes eligible, will 1) expand to 32 teams in the playoffs (too many IMHO), 2) expand to 24 teams (A fairer number, but still too many unworthy teamsxtwocentsx ), or 3) start a play-in game.
The calendar doesn't allow for a 32-team playoff, or a play-in game at this point. And moving the start back by a week isn't something that most institutions are interested in, because of increased costs. There are hurdles to overcome to make for a 24- or 32-team playoff.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
The calendar doesn't allow for a 32-team playoff, or a play-in game at this point. And moving the start back by a week isn't something that most institutions are interested in, because of increased costs. There are hurdles to overcome to make for a 24- or 32-team playoff.

Hurdles to overcome, but not impossible. D-II does it, so it is feasable.

And even if Stony Brook was added as an affiliate of the Big South for the 2008 season, the Big South wouldn't qualify until the 2010 playoffs, so there would be plenty of advance notice for scheduling.

As far as increased costs, are you refering to having to house players one additional week in the summer?

I know in past years, NAU finished it's regular season two weeks before Thanksgiving - to fit the current 11 game schedule in the current time frame is possible, it would require giving up a bye week though. If NAU addes the 11th game on Sept 15th, they will be done two weeks before Thanksgiving again this year.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM

I have heard this argument for years...and it is weak. Every division does it...but ours.

It can be done.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I have no idea what this is......

.... but you have to enter

Delaware State, South Carolina State or Hampton

in this discussion

xtwocentsx

walliver
March 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Albany coach stating he doesn't know anything about a move to the BSC and doesn't believe it will happen.....so that being said any guesses as if there is a 2nd team and if so who?

My guess would be no second team, unless they want to bring in Savannah State. I assume the conference really only needs one team to bring it up to 6 teams (until PC counts).

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have said for a long time...Albany didnt figure in this. If it happened...I would not be shocked.

That being said, Ford's announcement that he was unaware of this...does not shock me either.

Partially depressing...but it may keep us open for a CAA invite...something I think is more important. The costs just dont make sense.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
My guess would be no second team, unless they want to bring in Savannah State. I assume the conference really only needs one team to bring it up to 6 teams (until PC counts).

SSU would love that, even if it is just as a football affiliate.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I'm not at all sure that this involves Albany OR Stony Brook... let me reiterate that I have no special knowledge here, but I think that MEAC schools need to be thought about here (and not just Savannah State).

Put it this way. Hampton and South Carolina State want to be in the playoffs, while a lot of the MEAC wants to play "classics" and not play in the playoffs. Might not a Hampton or SC State move make sense for playoffs, or a Delaware State move make sense in order to distance themselves from MEAC which is embracing their HBCU heritage more closely lately?

If I'm a betting man, I'd say the two schools are Delaware State and Stony Brook. xtwocentsx Those are the two schools that would be happiest in the Big South while waiting to get an autobid.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Do not be surprised if there is a school in the south that says they're adding scholarships and joining in football. It's a LONG shot, but possible.

MplsBison
March 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM
And if MEAC doesn't want the playoffs anymore, the Big South will take their autobid no questions asked.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Do not be surprised if there is a school in the south that says they're adding scholarships and joining in football. It's a LONG shot, but possible.

Jacksonville looking to jettison the A-Sun?

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I would love that. I have no knowledge whatsoever about it, but it seems logical. If they were to add scholarships it would be a great fit.

bigsouth39
March 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
The two new york schools have been announced as Albany and Stony Brook University

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I would love to see Del St., SC St. or Hampton added or all three....just not sure that is the case...maybe Del St. but until the MEAC announces they are going to a classic format and getting out of the playoffs SC St. and Hampton will stay where they are.

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
The two new york schools have been announced as Albany and Stony Brook University

Who announced this and when? Do you have a link?

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
EXACTLY....where is this "announcement."

Maybe the expansion is bigger than 2 teams...maybe 4. That would cover the BIG SOUTH if the two NY schools left.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I would love that. I have no knowledge whatsoever about it, but it seems logical. If they were to add scholarships it would be a great fit.

The A-Sun is not the best league to be in. With G-W leaving for the Big South, ETSU wanting to go elsewhere, the stability of the league retaining their auto-bid is in question. They have two transitional members, and are adding two more next year. Jacksonville adding schollies to get into the Big South in all sports would seem to be a winner.

CoastalFan2005
March 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I would be absolutely ecstatic if one of Hampton, Delaware State or South Carolina State (or all three) moved to the Big South either as football affiliates or as all-sports members. xnodx

I doubt all three of them moving would happen - but it's a nice thought. :D

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
The A-Sun is not the best league to be in. With G-W leaving for the Big South, ETSU wanting to go elsewhere, the stability of the league retaining their auto-bid is in question. They have two transitional members, and are adding two more next year. Jacksonville adding schollies to get into the Big South in all sports would seem to be a winner.

I'd be very, very happy if JU decided to add football scholarships and join the Big South.

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
For the record, I've not had it confirmed that more than one school is involved in tomorrow's announcement. That's just an assumption on nearly everyone's part.

That said, I wouldn't rule out Albany just because the coach hadn't heard it was happening. It wouldn't be the first time admins didn't keep the coach in the loop. I'm not saying that is what happened here, just saying it is a possibility.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
EXACTLY....where is this "announcement."

Maybe the expansion is bigger than 2 teams...maybe 4. That would cover the BIG SOUTH if the two NY schools left.

As it stands right now, the only team we know for sure about is Stony Brook, and that's because their coach said so.

Other than that, the only thing we know is a press release was sent to the media earlier today about a teleconference regarding Big South football membership expansion.

We've got this same conversation going on 4 or 5 message boards right now.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Just a thought: Would Jacksonville come in on all sports?

Here's what we're looking at starting in 08:

Liberty
VMI
Radford
HPU
UNCA
G-W
Winthrop
CSU
Presby
Coastal

That's ten teams with one being transitional and not eligible for post season play. Jacksonville would give ten teams (two five team divisions?) that are eligible for post season play.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM
which boards?

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Liberty
VMI
Radford
HPU
UNCA
G-W
Winthrop
CSU
Presby
Coastal
That's ten teams with one being transitional and not eligible for post season play. Jacksonville would give ten teams (two five team divisions?) that are eligible for post season play.

Eleven is a tricky number, as the OVC found out. You still need to schedule Presby, even if they are transitional.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
This one, CoastalFans (http://www.coastalfans.com), FlameFans (http://www.flamefans.com), VMI's board, and BigSouthTalk (http://www.bigsouthtalk.com).

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Eleven is a tricky number, as the OVC found out. You still need to schedule Presby, even if they are transitional.

I was thinking the same thing. I had actually typed "Is there another team thinking of makng the jump?" but erased it.

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Liberty
VMI
Radford
HPU
UNCA
G-W
Winthrop
CSU
Presby
Coastal

I see this as a football move and the other sports would be a bonus....currently the BS has Liberty, VMI, G-W, CSU, Presby and CCU....Preby isn't elligible until 2010 I believe....two 5 division teams isn't out of the question for sports like basketball....but would think we would need to get to 12 before we split into divisions.....

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
That's why I added the "I wonder if there's someone else" deal. That would give us 12 all together.

CCU97
March 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
we were both typing at the same time....I imagine that there is at least two teams....who they are I don't have a clue....we'll find out at 2 tomorrow....

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Liberty
VMI
Radford
HPU
UNCA
G-W
Winthrop
CSU
Presby
Coastal

That would put the conference at 11, two 5 team divisions? Even though PC doesn't count they are still a part of the conference.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Read the part I added after that.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
If the HBCU's join from the MEAC wouldn't they become all sports members? How would a FCS conference allow one of their schools to be in another just for football when they already have it. Delware St. and Hampton as full members? Is Stony Brook a football only foresure? If Jacksonville joins as full members I'd think the A-Sun would take Sav St. to have a counter to replace them along with Longwood.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Read the part I added after that.

Super, wouldn't The Big South want 12 and not 11 full members. I think so. If any of these members being added are in the south I figure it would be all sports

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Exactly. That's why I added the "I wonder if there's someone else?"

Stony Brook would be football only.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Super, do you think that Stony Brook as an affiliate plus 2 new full members? I hope so. Even if it is Sav St. and whoever. There are no D-II teams in the south that have been rumored to move up right now so I figure these will both be D-I qulifiers.

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
We have no need for any emerging DIIs. Any additions would have to be existing DIs to be considered.

If Albany is not involved in this announcement, my guess is that it is either just SB or it is SB & one other school. That other school could be JU or somebody else. I'd love to think its ETSU but that would too good of a move to expect at this point.

As for the MEAC schools, that potential may be slipping if we bring in more than just SB tomorrow.

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I would love to see Del St., SC St. or Hampton added or all three....just not sure that is the case...maybe Del St. but until the MEAC announces they are going to a classic format and getting out of the playoffs SC St. and Hampton will stay where they are. I'm not sure about Hampton but I'm quite sure that SCSU,A&T and Del State would certainly move if the MEAC left the playoffs. Hampton wanting out wouldn't surprise me at all but politics might keep them in the conference for awhile. SCSU,A&T and Hampton would bring great attendance to the Big South or Socon FWIW. No smack but I'm not sure that Albany,Stony Brook or Del State could say the same.

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
The MEAC schools are all long shots. Del State probably has the best chance, but any of the others are just extreme wishful thinking at this point IMHO. I think there is just as much of a chance for them with or without the NY school(s) - about 0%.

I doubt ETSU would be ready to make a move unless they are ready to announce that football is a done deal. They said that they will stay in the A-Sun until their contract expires in 2011.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM

The Dolphines of Jacksonville? Delaware State?

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I know Albany is out. There is a second school, and it's south of Stony Brook. I just don't know how far south.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
My picks are Delaware State xoopsx and SUNY @ SB. Is Jacksonville interested in increasing to full schollies? Who ever it is, WELCOME TO THE BLACK SHEEP CONFERENCE: Home of the Unwanted and Down-trotted. xbeerchugx

Dabnus Brickey
March 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
This CCU fan is opposed to the NY schools. I'm not a NY hater, but I think we could find more practical possible candidates.

gr8ness97
March 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Take WSSU...PLEASE!

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Take WSSU...PLEASE!

really? why? You guys just joined the MEAC. The big negative is that you are still in transition, we need current FCS teams.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I have heard this argument for years...and it is weak. Every division does it...but ours.

It can be done.
I didn't say that it couldn't be done. Just presenting the facts as they are. There is a lot of resistance among the schools for increasing expenses. You can call the argument weak (it's not really an argument), but you must realize that a lot of schools don't want to do anything that will increase expenses. It would entail starting the season a week earlier and would also entail, possibly (depending on whether you go 24 or 32 teams) an extra game for two of the playoff teams. The potential of a 16-game season isn't going to go over very well with many either.

Yes, I happen to be one of those who thinks that the playoff are great at 16 teams and that 24 or 32 teams would water things down and make the playoffs less competitive. But the reality is most schools and most conferences do not want an expansion of the playoffs.

Dukie95
March 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Does Radford have football?

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM

No. Are you giving a hint?

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Oddly enough, no. Public school with around 10k attending, you would think it should happen.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM

No, but they have chlamydia.

Dukie95
March 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM
No. Are you giving a hint?

No, but it was mentioned in the previous page, and I thought we were talking about football. Radford football would have been new to me and I wasn't sure if I missed something.

Nothing to see here. :)

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
No, but it was mentioned in the previous page, and I thought we were talking about football. Radford football would have been new to me and I wasn't sure if I missed something.

Nothing to see here. :)

figured ... but I'm always looking for an angle xreadx

Sly Fox
March 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Radford already has a stadium they use strictly for soccer. But alas, they don't seem to have football in their plans.

IaaScribe
March 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Radford is very much like Winthrop, many, many more women than men there.

Hey, Lynchburg College is exploring adding football. Maybe they're the other team. xlolx

March 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't say that it couldn't be done. Just presenting the facts as they are...Fact: We know the FCS Committee has been looking at expansion. Fact: We know their study is for 24 teams, would cost $1.5M more, would seed eight teams and would have 12 AQs. On WAVES I talked about this with Dougherty, Coulson, Fullerton, I forget whom else. So they are talking about it and have some prelims done. There are also things to be voted this year including the 6 teams/50 equivs, etc.

**** MEDIA ADVISORY ****

The Big South has called a special media teleconference for Tuesday afternoon, March 20 at 2:00pm ET. The call is in regards to Conference Football Membership.

I'll be on the call and hopefully have it on WAVES tomorrow night.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM
No, but they have chlamydia.

How would you know Jon? Was she your first ;) ? Oh, and it's awefully weird to see you all painted up in teal and bronze on our website THEN see you decked out with the flaming eagle on the tailgating thread.

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
That's what I hear. I haven't made my way over that way yet.

I always wore teal and black, I didn't really like the bronze. Am I still on the Coastal webpage? Haha, yes I am.

pcguy09
March 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Jacksonville will make an announcment tomorrow that they will move to the big south

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Jacksonville will make an announcment tomorrow that they will move to the big south

hell yeah - daddy likey xsmiley_wix

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Source?

If so, dang, I am good!

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
That'll be a better trip than Albany.

Looks like I may be in for an 8+ hr trip every year.

pcguy09
March 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I read it on another board... bluehosesports.com

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Fact: We know the FCS Committee has been looking at expansion. Fact: We know their study is for 24 teams, would cost $1.5M more, would seed eight teams and would have 12 AQs. On WAVES I talked about this with Dougherty, Coulson, Fullerton, I forget whom else. So they are talking about it and have some prelims done. There are also things to be voted this year including the 6 teams/50 equivs, etc.

**** MEDIA ADVISORY ****

The Big South has called a special media teleconference for Tuesday afternoon, March 20 at 2:00pm ET. The call is in regards to Conference Football Membership.

I'll be on the call and hopefully have it on WAVES tomorrow night.

Thanks Ralph...I didnt want to have to be the one to break this to Mr. C.

Another fact: schools from the Gateway and CAA are ALL FOR EXPANSION (whether they admit it publicaly or not). They want more teams from their conference in...and right now...they dont get them.

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Jacksonville...as from the PFL?

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yes sir. They're adding scholarships.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Source?

If so, dang, I am good!

So am I xthumbsupx . I like the addition. Now if we can just get a school from Georgia.

Jacksonville University's Website (http://www.ju.edu/)

JU Sports (http://judolphins.cstv.com/)

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 10:22 PM
What is your deal, Dane? I never said that expansion wasn't being looked at, just that there were a lot of obstacles to overcome for it to be implemented. And maybe, if you talked to more folks, you would see that there is more support against expansion than for it right now. That doesn't mean that things won't change. I know plenty of folks in the CAA, by the way, who adamently against expansion, because of increased costs. What are you trying to break to me?

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I read it on another board... bluehosesports.com

Thanks!

Dane96
March 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
What is your deal, Dane? I never said that expansion wasn't being looked at, just that there were a lot of obstacles to overcome for it to be implemented. And maybe, if you talked to more folks, you would see that there is more support against expansion than for it right now. That doesn't mean that things won't change. I know plenty of folks in the CAA, by the way, who adamently against expansion, because of increased costs. What are you trying to break to me?

My problem: You stated MOST SCHOOLS ARE AGAINST THIS. I say your absolutism is wrong.

Period.

Move on...nothing to see here.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Jacksonville in the Big South for all sports?

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM
The announcement tomorrow is just football.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM
My problem: You stated MOST SCHOOLS ARE AGAINST THIS. I say your absolutism is wrong.

Period.

Move on...nothing to see here.
Most equals anything more that half. If you have evidence that proves otherwise, share it with us.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Most equals anything more that half. If you have evidence that proves otherwise, share it with us.

xlolx xlolx Did you really say that?!?!? xeekx xlmaox xlolx xlmaox :pumpuke: Now look at what you made me do. . . and I just ate.

Is ETSU being considered?

appfan2008
March 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I am looking forward to exactly who will be added later today, should be interesting

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Maybe it's the SoCon public schools jumping ship due to the Samford thing xrotatehx

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Jacksonville football only, I wish it was all sports. The BSC should just put them in for all sports like they eventually did with G-Webb.

March 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM
... There are also things to be voted this year including the 6 teams/50 equivs, etc...Of course that would leave the MAAC, PFL and the NEC out (and IVY + SWAC + GWFC still not in) to bring the possible AQ conferences at 9 (if the Big South gets there)... not much different than now. So how could it go to 12 AQs? Anyway, enough talk about that... Big South expansion twice within a year! xreadx

SuperJon
March 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM
That may be down the line, but the plan for tomorrow is just football.

appfan2008,

We're 99.9% sure it's Jacksonville and Stony Brook. There's been a ton of digging done tonight.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Campbell? What about them? If Jax can do it so can San Diego right. Duqusene added 30 schollys and is moving from the MAAC to the NEC.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Campbell? What about them? If Jax can do it so can San Diego right.

Campbell is adding non-schollie football.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I know that. But what does that have to do with the BSC adding Jax? CU was going to get in the PFL anyway.

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I know that. But what does that have to do with the BSC adding Jax? CU was going to get in the PFL anyway.

That was never formally announced, has it? Everything I've heard is that Campbwell wants into the PFL but the conference has never committed. I think that the hint that ralph gave that Campbell will take Jacksonville's spot in the PFL.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah but with Jax and CU they'd have 9 with CU 8 either way it would work, and no formal announcement has been made.

rokamortis
March 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I'm not against Campbell - just that they have been dead set on non-scholly football.

MylesKnight
March 19th, 2007, 11:54 PM
What are the odds of the Big South giving Savannah State a spot as a All-Sports Member?

By the way, unless JU was planning on playing their Home Games at a Off-Campus Site, how would that work? Has anyone ever seen the Field on the JU Campus? You can't really call it a Stadium, it's a field, plain and simple. It would be nice to see JU Athletics make this happen though.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
collegesportsinfo.com says that Campbell is a member of the PFL. It also mentioned on the Big South expansion that Stony brook was in. Nothing about Jax. Plus it said something about ETSU and W.Georgia.

March 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
collegesportsinfo.com says that Campbell is a member of the PFL...Campbell is not a member of the PFL. They do not even have a football team yet. xnodx

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
What are the odds of the Big South giving Savannah State a spot as a All-Sports Member?

I think slim to none. The best chance for SSU was is as a football associate member and maybe all sports down the line, but I don't think that will happen. SSU wants in the MEAC.

By the way, unless JU was planning on playing their Home Games at a Off-Campus Site, how would that work? Has anyone ever seen the Field on the JU Campus? You can't really call it a Stadium, it's a field, plain and simple. It would be nice to see JU Athletics make this happen though.

If they are adding scholarships hopefully they'll make a commitment to improve facilities as well.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Campbell is not a member of the PFL. They do not even have a football team yet. xnodx
Well, were they already invited. I'm aware they don't start until 2008. Don't post crap that is pointless, or I'll get us banned.xthumbsupx

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Well, were they already invited. I'm aware they don't start until 2008. Don't post crap that is pointless, or I'll get us banned.xthumbsupx

They won't be back in the Big South anytime soon. They burned some bridges on the way to the A-Sun.

3 possibilities with Stoney Brook: Jax U, Albany, or Delaware State. I'm hoping for Jax U. I just hope it's not another D2. xnonox

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
We were talking about if Campbell was already invited to the PFL not the BSC.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
W. Georgia...they are DII, correct?

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Thats correct...I do remember reading that they would like to go d-I, but not this soon....

Sly Fox
March 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM
West Georgia was discussed prior to PC coming into the fold. There is no way we'd go that route now. It would serve no purpose.

And with Delaware State focused on trying to go FBS, its not likely they'd be making the move either.

By process of elimination it has to be SB & Jacksonville.

I was talking to a sports guy in Jax tonight and he was surprised by the possible move. He thought the school was in too bad of a financial condition to be adding scholies. But told me they just sold a 100 acres of land on the river that probably is paying for this move if it goes down tomorrow.

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
West Georgia was discussed prior to PC coming into the fold. There is no way we'd go that route now. It would serve no purpose.

And with Delaware State focused on trying to go FBS, its not likely they'd be making the move either.

By process of elimination it has to be SB & Jacksonville.

I was talking to a sports guy in Jax tonight and he was surprised by the possible move. He thought the school was in too bad of a financial condition to be adding scholies. But told me they just sold a 100 acres of land on the river that probably is paying for this move if it goes down tomorrow.

Del St. trying to go FBS? thats news to me....I dont think they will be giving up the Autobid conference though..

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 12:40 AM

It's been corrected. . . someone had said W. Georgia earlier :o

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Personally, the Jax move would shock me. They have shown a complete lack of commitment at the PFL level. They have terrible facilities. They play in the shadow of an NFL team. They are a huge baseball town (tons of pro ballers come out of there...I am actually shocked they dont have a pro team).

Additionally, not a peep on any of the Jax or PFL boards.

Very fishy. Pun intended.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM
DB MILNE FIELD...home of the Jacksonville Dolphins.

http://cirrus.ju.edu/tour/map.asp?page=ashley

Seats 5k my ass. I have been there. If they include all the SRO...yep...5k.

This place makes CSU's facility look like Neyland Stadium

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Personally, the Jax move would shock me. They have shown a complete lack of commitment at the PFL level. They have terrible facilities. They play in the shadow of an NFL team. They are a huge baseball town (tons of pro ballers come out of there...I am actually shocked they dont have a pro team).

Additionally, not a peep on any of the Jax or PFL boards.

Very fishy. Pun intended.

Jax U, like W. Georgia, was just thrown out there. I agree with you. I want Jax U to join, crappy facilities and all, but I have to say, with the way their president has been acting lately and their scheduling of Black Sheeps for OOC games, Delaware State may be that 2nd mystery program to join tomorrow with Stoney Brook. xtwocentsx

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 12:55 AM
If its Delaware St. won't they get kicked out of the MEAC. You leave a conference that has football for another, why would they let you play the rest with them.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM
they're not in a conf cuz they don't have football. You know schools get invited before the program starts from time to time. If you look back I said they weren't in the PFL yet but collegesportsinfo says yeah. CSI also say NCCU is already invited to the MEAC but I haven't seen that yet either.

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 01:24 AM
OH MY GOD . . . IT'S TEMPLE!

J/K

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
OH MY GOD . . . IT'S TEMPLE!

xlolx xlolx xlolx They still wouldn't win the conference title

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
So what's your guess Fresno?

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Stony Brook and nobody. What do you have Gadfly, temple doesn't count they don't play football they only pretend

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
You shot'em all down . . . bastard! :D

Albany = no: "coach said so" vs. who gives a rat's ass waht he thinks

Jax U = no: bad facilities vs. just sold land lately for some odd reason

Delaware St. = no: why would you want to leave MEAC? Because your white president wants to push away from the stereotype HBCU to attract a more diverse student body.

Did I miss any?

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Valdosta St. and Wingate. Still no autobid with them. Shoot that down

The Gadfly
March 20th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Valdosta St. and Wingate. Still no autobid with them. Shoot that down

I can see Wingate in a couple of years b/c their alumni are screaming for the move. VSU's facilities SUCK and their fan base would rather go see UGA or FSU play on Sat.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:49 AM
They also talk about UNC-Pembroke moving to the BSC after a couple years of D-II football, on the D-II board.

DFW HOYA
March 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM
It's Stony Brook, per Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sbufootball0320,0,3207967.story?coll=ny-collegesports-headlines

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
It's Stony Brook, per Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sbufootball0320,0,3207967.story?coll=ny-collegesports-headlines

I think that's great. I'm really hoping for 2 to be annonced today though. *crossing fingers*

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Wow, Steven Marcus managed to write TWO whole paragraphs on the subject in Newsday. It will be interesting to learn the particulars of the move today. Is Stony Brook going to pay for travel expenses of Big South opponents, etc.?

Sly Fox
March 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I highly doubt it. If you can't spring for one roadie every other year then you shouldn't be in FCS in the first place.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 08:02 AM
From Marcus..."The conference is expected to have an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs by 2010."

Hmmm...what's the NCAA going to do?

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Potentially weird move by SBU, especially if Coastal or Liberty leave sometime between now and 2010.

BTW, that thud you heard was the sound of the America East Football League falling back to Earth. My guess is that Stony, like Delaware, Hofstra, Towson & Northeastern before them, came to the realization that the AEC was never going to be able to build enough concensus to put together its own league.

If I'm Albany, I'm looking for a way to get out of the AEC sooner rather than later.

I've heard nothing recently about DSU leaving the MEAC. DSU has the opportunity to play for an autobid RIGHT NOW in the MEAC. I be surprised if they left unless they were sure that the MEAC was moving towards a bowl set-up. At that point, yup, DSU moves all of its sports out of the MEAC.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I highly doubt it. If you can't spring for one roadie every other year then you shouldn't be in FCS in the first place.
The Gateway Conference hinted that part of North Dakota State and South Dakota State's entrance fee into the league would be used to help with costs, so the Big South could do something similar. While it may not be an issue with Liberty or VMI, it is much more travel for teams like Coastal Carolina, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
From Marcus..."The conference is expected to have an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs by 2010."

Hmmm...what's the NCAA going to do?
Marcus probably doesn't even know how the NCAA determines who gets bids.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Marcus probably doesn't even know how the NCAA determines who gets bids.

Marcus doesn't know much about anything when it comes to championship level Division I football...xcoffeex

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
As I was saying.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM
A well informed poster (also an AGS member but not Dane96) on the America East Forum has said that Albany is also joining the Big South. He went on to state that there are significant buyouts to leave the conference for Albany and Stony Brook.

If this all proves true later this afternoon, I'd have to say that America East Football is far from the slam dunk many of you anticipated.

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
If this all proves true later this afternoon, I'd have to say that America East Football is far from the slam dunk many of you anticipated.

And, competitively speaking, that's a good thing for UNH and UMaine.xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
BTW, that thud you heard was the sound of the America East Football League falling back to Earth. My guess is that Stony, like Delaware, Hofstra, Towson & Northeastern before them, came to the realization that the AEC was never going to be able to build enough concensus to put together its own league.

Of course, the other conclusion could very well be that Stony Brook's president and AD are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. I mean, they are really really impatient about getting into the playoffs - and are joining the Big South in football for the HOPE that they're getting an autobid, which is HARDLY a sure thing. An AE conference with UNH, Maine, and other 63-scholly schools would be a near slam-dunk for an autobid. But the Big South, with a cobbled membership, their best schools being looked at for membership in other conferences or going to I-A? IF the league holds together, and manages to withstand the snickers about having a Long Island school as a part of the "Big South", it's still not clear that their schools are all paying the minimum $$ numbers (or offering the right number of counters) required for an autobid. And that's not even talking about what would happen to the playoff system if they get an autobid or any of those questions.

I somehow doubt that rational thought about an AE conference came into their thinking. xtwocentsx

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Agreed. And it is not like it is a LONG roadie, anyways. Charleston to LI would be a short trip for a Western team.

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=IaaScribe]Radford is very much like Winthrop, many, many more women than men there.

They sound like great places to go to college!!! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

More seriously, I hope the Patriot League is paying attention to this. Plainly, the tectonic plates are beginning to really move as to conference affiliation and I don't want the PL to be weaker at the end of the movement.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I have been told, and I could be getting misinformation, that Albany is out.

As for SBU...they are COOKOO. Fiore has called them "THE EVIL EMPIRE OF THE AE." Are you for real?

This move is necessity...not for smarts.

Part of me wanted Albany to be a part...the other realizes the money is better spent endowing rides at Albany and prepping for what I personally believe will be an eventual call to join the CAA in whatever form takes place in 2011.

As stated numerous times, I think the only way the Big South gets a bid is via an expansion of the playoffs. If that occurs, the NEC most likely will get a bid.

Rumors are hot that the NEC members (particularly CCSU, MONMOUTH, RMU, DUQUENSE, and ALBANY) are pushing for 45 rides.

If Albany can get to 45...and the shakeout occurs with the CAA...we will be well positioned to join if the CAA came calling...with some endowed scholarships allowing money to be diverted for the remaining 36 that would need to be added (football and women's.)

Just my 2 cents.

Seahawks Fan
March 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Just my opinion, but Stony Brook must be desperate to do this. There is no fit at all with the other schools.

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Just my opinion, but Stony Brook must be desperate to do this. There is no fit at all with the other schools.

The only parralels to this in recent times are when LaSalle's BB team moved to the Midwestern Collegiate Conference for a while in the early 1990's (which was a disaster for that program), and Boston College's all-sports move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (which I predict will be a disaster for that program).

mcveyrl
March 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I know that ETSU was shot down several threads ago, but how about this argument...

$300,000 needs to be raised by the end of the month (I honestly don't know where they are in this). Plus, students vote in April on the fee increases. Why not have the Big South announce that ETSU is joining the conference in 2010 to help spur the campaign?

Of course, there's several problems. The Big South probably wouldn't want to announce a speculative member and it could create apathy among donors and students. Also, the BSC (or any conference) would probably want ETSU to have a couple of start-up years before joining and right now, football is projected to be back in 2010.

Regardless, I think it's a small possibility that the announcement has something to do with ETSU.

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'd agree that SBU's AD appears to be off his rocker, however... timing is everything when it comes to conference moves. Maybe SBU's latest move was the result of rolling the dice and not have the odds work in your favor. Maybe it is a move done out of necessity, as Dane suggests.

My guess is that SBU tried in vain to get the AEC to host its own FB league. Knowing that league as I do, that's no small feat. This is a league that continues to allow itself to get raided because particular members are so steadfastly against the league sponsoring FB. So, despite their requests, SBU gave the AEC more incentive by calling its bluff, announcing it would go independent. When it became apparent that the AEC couldn't garner enough support to get its own league together, SBU may have had no other choice but to go to the Big South. The NEC wasn't taking them back.

Just my opinion, of course, but, if you look at the CAA's footprint, schools like Albany and New Hampshire are already well suited for that conference. I think those 2 schools would be among the first places the CAA will look if it ever decides to expand the number of core members to 14. The AEC doesn't appear to be well-suited to serve the interests of those 2 schools, especially with regards to FB.

OL FU
March 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I know that ETSU was shot down several threads ago, but how about this argument...

$300,000 needs to be raised by the end of the month (I honestly don't know where they are in this). Plus, students vote in April on the fee increases. Why not have the Big South announce that ETSU is joining the conference in 2010 to help spur the campaign?

Of course, there's several problems. The Big South probably wouldn't want to announce a speculative member and it could create apathy among donors and students. Also, the BSC (or any conference) would probably want ETSU to have a couple of start-up years before joining and right now, football is projected to be back in 2010.

Regardless, I think it's a small possibility that the announcement has something to do with ETSU.

I like others doubt it is ETSU but I don't think the BSouth would have to require a couple of play-in years. but I do think they would require most of the speculation be over. xnodx

mcveyrl
March 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I like others doubt it is ETSU but I don't think the BSouth would have to require a couple of play-in years. but I do think they would require most of the speculation be over. xnodx

Just thought of another problem. A lot of locals are hoping to rejoin the SoCo. This could put a big dent in the momentum to date.

OL FU
March 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Just thought of another problem. A lot of locals are hoping to rejoin the SoCo. This could put a big dent in the momentum to date.

I am looking for to watching them begxlolx and then us graciously exceptingxsmiley_wix

Libertine
March 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I am looking for to watching them begxlolx and then us graciously excepting xsmiley_wix

Soooo, still keeping them out? God, you're mean! xthumbsdownx xlolx

mcveyrl
March 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I am looking for to watching them begxlolx and then us graciously exceptingxsmiley_wix

Yea, I don't think a lot of people around here realize the hurdles that have to be jumped before ETSU gets back in...

OL FU
March 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Soooo, still keeping them out? God, you're mean! xthumbsdownx

Freudian Typo Slip:o xlolx

CSU BUCS
March 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I was talking to Hank Small (AD at CSU) and he was hoping to be able to schedule both NY schools in sept.............. Play one at home and one on the road in September.............. for obvious reasons.

CCU97
March 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
So is Smalls confirming that it is Albany and SB both coming to the conference?

CSU BUCS
March 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
He told me that during a conversation in November when he told me that Albany and SB are joining the Big South in '08............................. That's when I brought the "anonymous" information to this board.

CCU97
March 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
great news to know since the Big South doesn't have anything on the website and even if they did we may not find it for days....

Libertine
March 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
great news to know since the Big South doesn't have anything on the website and even if they did we may not find it for days....

That's why you got us, baby!xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Here's an article...no mention of anyone outside of Stony Brook...

Big South to add Stony Brook for football

The Big South Conference will announce today the addition of Stony Brook which, along with Presbyterian College, will give the conference seven football-playing members.

Stony Brook, a State University of New York, is located on Long Island and played in the Northeast Conference this past season, going 5-2 in league play and 5-6 overall.

The Seawolves are coached by Chuck Priore and will be able to compete for the conference title upon arrival since it already is a Division I-AA member.

Presbyterian, coached by former Byrnes coach Bobby Bentley, will join the conference but will not receive full Division I status until the 2011-12 school year.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/16937219.htm

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Word around here is that East Tennessee State is not happy in the Atlantic Sun. Conference officials have told me that, despite Paul Stanton pyrotechnics on every available bridge, that the rest of the conference would take them back in a heartbeat.

Nothing was mentioned about begging, OL FU.

OL FU
March 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Word around here is that East Tennessee State is not happy in the Atlantic Sun. Conference officials have told me that, despite Paul Stanton pyrotechnics on every available bridge, that the rest of the conference would take them back in a heartbeat.

Nothing was mentioned about begging, OL FU.

We're too easyxmadx

aceinthehole
March 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Here's an article...no mention of anyone outside of Stony Brook...

Big South to add Stony Brook for football

The Big South Conference will announce today the addition of Stony Brook which, along with Presbyterian College, will give the conference seven football-playing members.

Stony Brook, a State University of New York, is located on Long Island and played in the Northeast Conference this past season, going 5-2 in league play and 5-6 overall.

The Seawolves are coached by Chuck Priore and will be able to compete for the conference title upon arrival since it already is a Division I-AA member.

Presbyterian, coached by former Byrnes coach Bobby Bentley, will join the conference but will not receive full Division I status until the 2011-12 school year.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/16937219.htm

Seems like the 2 teams are Stony Brook and Presbyterian (previously announced).

CSUBUCDAD
March 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
This news conference being webcast anywhere? Would like to listen in.

CCU97
March 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Nope and nothing on the Big South Web site either....will be getting it from the sun news ASAP...www.myrtlebeachonline.com....they will place it on the front page as soon as announced....

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
its Stony Brook officially

Sly Fox
March 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Now that the Jacksonville speculation is out int he open, I wonder if that hasten their decision.

Stony Brook is all we really needed to make this work even though I'd like to have had Albany along for the ride.

SBU - Ya'll come on down.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Why Stony Brook? Kallander: Not a lot of options in the area, but Stony Brook is a good fit competitively and academically.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Kallander on travel: "We weighed the pros and cons"

CCU97
March 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the Big South Stony Brook! Join the rest of us red headed step kids....

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Kallander is explaining petitioning for an auto bid in 2010. Vote was unanimous on Stony Brook.

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
What is SBU's commitment to the Big South?

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Kallendar: "We feel confident we will be one of the top eight if there continues to be only eight bids. We have proven we are a quality conference"

GannonFan
March 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Now that the Jacksonville speculation is out int he open, I wonder if that hasten their decision.

Stony Brook is all we really needed to make this work even though I'd like to have had Albany along for the ride.

SBU - Ya'll come on down.

While Stony Brook is nice, getting Albany too would've been a huge coup.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Stony Brook had budgeted for additional travel. going up to 63 scholarships in football. Will try to play one FBS game per year for budget reasons.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a great move!

Question is what will happen with the auto-bid issue and the Div I playoffs...that's the next big question.

There's bound to be some additional movement over the next few years in FCS which is going to mean some NCAA legislation needs to be written up...

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Kallander: Big South is trying to get away from playing Division II games. "It's a priority to play good non-conference games"

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Whoa...now that more details are out...this is even more ridiculous than I thought.

Basically SBU is making this leap of faith:

1. An autobid is going to be taken from another league (I'll believe it when I see it.

2. They will not get an invite to the CAA

As a person associated with the Buffalo fiasco...I see nothing but the same for Stony Brook.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Kallander: "it's more than the auto bid, it's about exposure in the northeast."

"We are looking at further expansion in football in the near future."

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
in case it hasn't been made clear, Stony Brook is coming in for football only.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Kallander: "It's been a week of unparalleled exposure for our conference with Winthrop in the NCAA basketball tournament. Our conference has never been in a stronger place."

mainejeff
March 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Whoa...now that more details are out...this is even more ridiculous than I thought.

Basically SBU is making this leap of faith:

1. An autobid is going to be taken from another league (I'll believe it when I see it.

2. They will not get an invite to the CAA

As a person associated with the Buffalo fiasco...I see nothing but the same for Stony Brook.

I agree. Stony Brook has obviously thrown "strength in numbers" out the window and has decided to venture out on its own.......BIG mistake IMO. I guess that someone at SB is a bit delusional. Oh well, probably makes it easier for Albany to differentiate itself and break any umbilical cord (real or imaginary) that it had with SB. As an outsider, this Big South conference really seems like a bunch of no names (excluding Coastal)......and how does a large public university on Long Island fit in with a bunch of small Southern schools.......there has to be something more to this. Maybe SB is just calling the Big South home for just a few years?

blackcaesar3k5
March 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I personally believe South Carolina State and Florida A&M University would make find additions to Big South Conference..

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM
KK: "We have had conversations with a number of schools, I'm not going farther than that." BSC contacted Stony Brook first. "We've been active and aggressive about membership."

"We're looking forward to television in the northeast. Great exposure in the northeast."

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Stony Brook has signed a new agreement with MSG for televising different sports, including football. Also podcasting all sports.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM
The infamous Steven Markus asks a question about scheduling CAA schools and increasing the power rankings.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Schedule is being improved

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
xrotatehx xlolx
Marcus wants to know if the BSC will maybe merge with the CAA? KK says no.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Four-year agreement between Stony Brook and BSC, with a buyout (KK doesn't say how much the buyout is).

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
And the teleconference has ended after nearly 40 minutes. They will be posting the teleconference on the Big South website sometime this afternoon.

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Four-year agreement between Stony Brook and BSC, with a buyout (KK doesn't say how much the buyout is).

Four-year agreement - makes sense.

So that would be 2008, 09, 10, 11

Presby is eligible in 2012. ODU will be in the CAA in 2011.

Very interesting.

Not sure why everyone is so negative on this. Helps all with scheduling, doesn't block AE from getting football in the future.

March 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Marcus wants to know if the BSC will maybe merge with the CAA?What an idiot. xsmhx

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM
20 team conference? hell no!

Go...gate
March 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM
xrotatehx xlolx
Marcus wants to know if the BSC will maybe merge with the CAA? KK says no.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

This guy Marcus reaches new vissisitudes of stupidity every time he opens his yap!!! xrolleyesx

gr8ness97
March 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
WHY DOES THE BIG SOUTH want to improve Northeast exposure? Wouldnt the rather improve in their core market first? Stony Brook is only gonna stay the 4 years and then leave....It doesnt make sense to me...they just dont want to be an Independent...It would have made more sense to scoop up Sav St. than Stony Brook...

Fresno St. Alum
Why does ODU have to wait 2 years to be in the CAA FB?

danefan
I don't think its necessarily bad for SBU. They obviously realized that filling an Indy schedule isn't as easy as it looks. They couldn't go back to the NEC and the Big South came calling.

I think Albany and SBU have very similar goals. 63 rides in a AQ league with national prominence.

SBU is taking one path to get there and it appears as if Albany is taking another route. I do believe they will end up in 2011 in the same league, no matter what the name.

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM

They don't have to, but are doing it to build up the program slowly.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
That's when they are starting to actually play games.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't Stony Brook come on board as a 14th member for FB in the CAA if Ga St. takes too long to start football.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
That's when they are starting to actually play games.
I thought ODU's first season is in 09.xeyebrowx

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't Stony Brook come on board as a 14th member for FB in the CAA if Ga St. takes too long to start football.
They just joined the Big South and you already have them moving somewhere else? xsmhx

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
when their 4 year contract is up, yes. if the CAA wants them.

CCU97
March 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
WHY DOES THE BIG SOUTH want to improve Northeast exposure? Wouldnt the rather improve in their core market first? Stony Brook is only gonna stay the 4 years and then leave....It doesnt make sense to me...they just dont want to be an Independent...It would have made more sense to scoop up Sav St. than Stony Brook...

We've discussed this many times on the CoastalFans website...There are several issues with Sav St. First they are on probation for the 2nd time in 10 years.....The FB program is horrible right now and wouldn't help the conference in the near future....and 3 it is Sav St. they have worse academics than most of the BSC teams and nothing going in the right direction currently...how would the conference benefit from them other than geography....

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
when their 4 year contract is up, yes. if the CAA wants them.

Stony Brook will not be in the CAA FB league in 4 years or 40 years, unless unexpected and dramatic changes occur within the league membership. Book it.

As for ODU, it's been discussed ad nauseum here that ODU begins FB in '09. The Monarchs will not be eligible to compete in the FCS post-season for 2 years (according to NCAA regs), while they work on building up their equivalancy numbers. They will join the CAA in '11 and will be immediately eligible for that conference's autobid.

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
henfan, you saying don't worry about the 13 member league beacuse Ga. St. will be there sooner or later?

BobbyMo
March 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Well good luck to Stony Brook. xthumbsupx I wish they would have hung around the NEC to see what happens as far as scholarships go. In that vein, I am glad that Albany is staying put for the time being. xnodx

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Henfan....do you say the same about Albany? Or is the SBU diss (well...booking that they will never be in the CAA) based on what I believe: HOFSTRA.

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
henfan, you saying don't worry about the 13 member league beacuse Ga. St. will be there sooner or later?

I'd suggest not worrying about the number 13, I suppose. The world won't end if the league has to play with 13 for a period of time. I don't necessarily buy the idea that ODU's entry in 2011 will signal a cataclysmic change in CAA FB membership, especially since it's apparent that America East schools still aren't on the same page with respect to FB. The CAA is in no hurry to part with its FB affiliates, though I'm sure they are prepared to act if any of those schools eventually leave on their own.

IMO, FB is inevitable at both GSU and GMU, particularly if they anticipate long-term membership in the CAA. It may not occur anytime in the near future, however, and certainly not soon enough to impact the 2011 season.

henfan
March 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Henfan....do you say the same about Albany? Or is the SBU diss (well...booking that they will never be in the CAA) based on what I believe: HOFSTRA.

Dane, I didn't intend to diss the Evil Empire with my comment. They're doing a lot of great things out there.

As far as membership issues go, I just believe the CAA has more pressing expansion needs than landing another all-sport school on Long Island. Yeah, I'd have to think HU wouldn't support SBU's inclusion, especially if there are other reasonable options a little further from LI.xsmiley_wix

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Wasnt attacking you...I just couldnt find the right words.

I have been saying for a long time that SBU and Hofstra in the same league would not work for Hofstra. Competition for the same recruits, same market, and same fans.

In an area not known to support sports...that would dillute everything.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
For the BSC, this move was a no-brainer. This basically keeps the football conference alive should Liberty ever choose to tilt full-time at the FBS windmill or should the SoCon give Coastal Carolina a ring about joining their conference in all sports. Six permanent members theoretically could apply in the future for an autobid, whereas if they did nothing they could do nothing until 2011 (when Presbyterian becomes fully eligible). The league can take the inevitable jokes about taking a NYC commuter school into a conference that is completely based south of the Mason/Dixon line since for *them* it's all about survival.

For Stony Brook, it smacks to me as an emotional decision that will do nothing for their short-term goals (getting to 63 scholarships, getting a playoff berth) and probably won't do anything for their long-term goals either (getting into an autobid conference). They will expose themselves to the inevitable jokes about joining a league that has "South" in its name while doing little to increase their national profile. They are joining a league with no autobid, and itself is on shaky ground as two of their members have made noises about leaving ever since the founding of the conference. Think of how this move looks in 2009 or 2010 if Coastal moves to the OVC or SoCon - it actually sets the program back from their goals.

Furthermore, they will now either have to take 10-hour bus trips (or, more likely, flights) three to four times a year for league games alone. That's rough on the budget, though as an independent they may have had to do that anyway.

What I'd love to know is if Stony Brook made this move in an effort to try to force Albany's hand. It makes a lot more sense if both schools made the plunge together. Perhaps this was a game of chicken, and Albany pulled back in the eleventh hour. What this means is that Stony Brook will get the jokes, and Albany will remain in the NEC and slowly ramp up to scholarships - while still playing a league schedule that is easy on the budget. I think Stony Brook played a game of chicken, and got squashed.

89Hen
March 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
If Albany can get to 45...and the shakeout occurs with the CAA...we will be well positioned to join if the CAA came calling...
A little far fetched IMO. If and when the 'shakeout' occurs, it will be because one or more all sports-members have added football. The CAA won't be looking for even more teams.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
No...but a 13 team conference isnt going to work...we know this.

89Hen
March 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM
No...but a 13 team conference isnt going to work...we know this.
It's ugly, but we did it with 11 before Towson arrived.

youwouldno
March 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
This is smarter than it might appear on the surface. As a football-only member, Stony Brook is essentially signing a contract with the current Big South members to play them on a yearly basis, for four years. It's a matter of scheduling convenience (though not geographic, obviously) for all involved. They still will have OOC opportunities closer to home. That is time SB obviously intends to use to build up their program... facing non-power programs makes plenty of sense.

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's ugly, but we did it with 11 before Towson arrived.

Not what I was getting at. No way the CAA teams are going to be happy with 3, sometimes 4, bids wth 13 teams.

89Hen
March 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Not what I was getting at. No way the CAA teams are going to be happy with 3, sometimes 4, bids wth 13 teams.
But if the breakup occurs, I doubt they will be looking to add anyone who isn't already there.

Libertine
March 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
What I'd love to know is if Stony Brook made this move in an effort to try to force Albany's hand. It makes a lot more sense if both schools made the plunge together. Perhaps this was a game of chicken, and Albany pulled back in the eleventh hour. What this means is that Stony Brook will get the jokes, and Albany will remain in the NEC and slowly ramp up to scholarships - while still playing a league schedule that is easy on the budget. I think Stony Brook played a game of chicken, and got squashed.

Doesn't Albany have a year remaining on their contract with the NEC?

UAalum72
March 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Doesn't Albany have a year remaining on their contract with the NEC?
Albany's contract with the NEC runs thru 2010. Of course Stony Brook had signed the same contract.

Polywog
March 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Well if the "Big South" can include a team from New York, perhaps they have room for Cal Poly and UC Davis as well. xlolx

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Well if the "Big South" can include a team from New York, perhaps they have room for Cal Poly and UC Davis as well. xlolx

That would immediately improve the BSC GPI greatly. It could work, but I think some of the CCU and VMI fans heads would explode.

rokamortis
March 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I was really hoping for 2, but 1 will do. There's nothing to say that we don't add anymore schools this summer or next year.

As far as CCU or Liberty leaving, I believe that this move makes the BSC more attractive to the current members to stay as it provides a shed of stability and a shot at an autobid in the near future.

mainejeff
March 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Four-year agreement - makes sense.

So that would be 2008, 09, 10, 11

Presby is eligible in 2012. ODU will be in the CAA in 2011.

Very interesting.

Not sure why everyone is so negative on this. Helps all with scheduling, doesn't block AE from getting football in the future.

Agreed. Stony Brook would oonly have to buy out 1 year at the most if AE Football started up in 2011.

mainejeff
March 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
But if the breakup occurs, I doubt they will be looking to add anyone who isn't already there.

Are you talking a break-up of the CAA along football/hoops lines? If you are, you currently have 7 football members......is that really enough for an all-sports conference?

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
No...and that is the point 89Hen is missing.

If that breakup occurs, guarantee you Dr. McElroy will be receiving a phone call from the CAA football schools.

Right now we have a prominent NU professor and the AD of Athletics at William and Mary on our University Review/Athletic Review board.

They have first hand knowledge of what is happening up in the Capital District.

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
No...and that is the point 89Hen is missing.

If that breakup occurs, guarantee you Dr. McElroy will be receiving a phone call from the CAA football schools.

Right now we have a prominent NU professor and the AD of Athletics at William and Mary on our University Review/Athletic Review board.

They have first hand knowledge of what is happening up in the Capital District.

So UA is part of the America East inability to add football problem?

Dane96
March 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
No...the proponent of the AE football. Albany, was the school that came up with the plan.

They designed the "slide show", etc.

We are sitting tight. If the AE doesnt happen...and the CAA split happens...there will be no need for AE football...as you may see a re invention of the old Yankee conference, essentially the AE and CAA schools plus Albany and a few others.

DFW HOYA
March 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
First, congratulations to Stony Brook. I'm surprised this topic has surpassed 25 pages of comments in the off-season, but good for them.

Albany comparisons aside, this is a win-win for SBU and the Big South. Stony Brook has ambitions beyond Wagner and St. Francis, and being a I-AA independent wasn't going to cut it. The move positions SBU as a credible candidate if the AEC (or even Atlantic 10) choose to add football in the coming years.

A win for the Big South, too. While SBU's short-time may be along the lines of Towson in the Patriot Legue, it gets the league to the minimum six schools to at least start the discussion of an autobid, provides a little extra press for those schools visiting New York every other year, and sends a message to other schools that the Big South is a big tent for aspiring programs (read=Morehead St., Kennesaw St., Jacksonville, Campbell, etc.) Clearly not all of these aspire to 63 scholarships just yet, but the Big South is now an option.

To the concerns of some PL fans out there that this is a temblor for the Great Eastern Earthquake to come, I don't think so. Much like Buffalo going to the MAC, it's more a marriage of convenience than a seismic shift and I hope it works out for both of them.