PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Preseason All-SoCon team

Baldy
July 26th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Football coaches name Preseason All-SoCon team (http://www.soconsports.com/article.asp?articleid=71174)

SPARTANBURG, SC -- The Southern Conference football coaches have named their preseason all-Southern Conference team. The coaches and selected student-athletes are meeting with the media this week in Spartanburg, SC at the Marriott Renaissance Park as part of the Southern Conference Football Rouser presented by the Carolina Ford Dealers.

Richie Williams of Appalachian State was named the preseason Offensive Player of the Year by the coaches. Williams set numerous SoCon records in 2004 including a remarkable 28 consecutive pass completions and four 400-yard passing games in a season. Georgia Southern fullback Jermaine Austin was the runner-up for preaseason player of the year honors.

besting second-place Jermaine Austin of Georgia Southern, who was chosen as the Southern Conference’s preseason player of the year in 2004. Williams set numerous conference and school passing records in 2004.

Furman’s William Freeman, the coaches’ 2004 defensive player of the year, was named the preseason Defensive Player of the Year. The Paladin linebacker was third in the conference in tackles in 2004 with 86 while collecting 4.5 sacks. Elon linebacker Chad Nkang was the runner-up for preseason player of the year.

Georgia Southern, picked to finish second in 2005 by the coaches, had the most preseason selections, with 14 Eagles chosen, including eight first-teamers. Furman had the second-most with nine players, followed by Appalachian State with seven.

Good to see our entire defensive secondary was named either 1st or 2nd team, and one of the 2nd team OG's is actually 2nd on our depth chart.

OL FU
July 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Makes a person wonder how they can pick FU number 1 in the conference when almost the entire GSU team is all conference :confused:

Only thought there is that FU uses three tail backs fairly equally so it is difficult for anyone of them to break in to the all-conference status.

Also, except for tight end Rust, recievers are missing from the list for FU. Shows where the question mark is: No more West and Bratton. We have some good receivers but they all have to step up to fill those shoes.

And another thing, I guess the conference is still expected to be top heavy, GSU, ASU and FU own the list. First team other than those three teams; only 6 of 24 players.

blueballs
July 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Makes a person wonder how they can pick FU number 1 in the conference when almost the entire GSU team is all conference :confused:

Two words explain that to me: Ingle Martin.

OL FU
July 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Two words explain that to me: Ingle Martin.

Yeah, thankfully the road from Gainesville, FL to Nashville Tn passes through G'ville SC.

youwouldno
July 26th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Not to mention Freeman. Furman might have the best all-around player in the conference on both offense (Martin) and defense (Freeman), though Williams puts up bigger numbers than Martin because of the offense App runs. When you consider they are surrounded by excellent players on both sides of the ball, the #1 ranking seems pretty reasonable.

Interestingly, several teams at the top of preseason I-AA polls have serious D-line questions (at least Furman, GSU, and Eastern Washington, and I think some others). How those are answered will have a lot to say with the end result of the season.

WCU LawCat
July 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Don't understand how App had the third most players selected to the teams when WCU had 8. Always getting sold short in Cullowhee!

OL FU
July 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Don't understand how App had the third most players selected to the teams when WCU had 8. Always getting sold short in Cullowhee!

I retract my earlier statement on the other thread. I assumed the writer was correct. WCU has the third most selections. Go Catamounts.

LawCat, are you going to make the FU game on the 10th. Interesting set up early in the season.

WCU LawCat
July 26th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I'll be in attendance for sure. I'm really looking forward to that game.

SoCon48
July 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
LawCat, I missed your point. WCU has 8, App has 7 yet App is picked ahead of WCU in the standings. Makes sense to me (except I'm certainly NOT sure App should be picked to finish as high as third).
Seems to me the one with the higher predicted standing should also have the most All conf players. Thus it seems WCU ought to be in the third place slot.
Of course, they MAY have been thinking ASU has the better over-all balance (less weaknesses) but not the stand-out players. Hard to see that, however, with the porous defense App had last year.

BlackSaturday
July 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
LawCat's point was in reference to the last line of the article at the top of the page stating App had the third most.

WCU LawCat
July 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I'm not upset about anything really or trying to make hateful statements. My main point is that we tend to get overlooked. I understand that you have to show it on the field but someone only counted 3 schools when they counted what teams had the most players selected. We were overlooked...and thats a normal thing at WCU. WCU really only has one question mark this season and its consistant QB play. With solid play at QB, we CAN and SHOULD challenge for a playoff spot.