PDA

View Full Version : Rams @ Niners

The Boogie Down
August 31st, 2018, 02:37 PM
I get that this ain't the big deal it was in the '80s but c'mon, nothing on the upcoming Rams/49ers game? RAMS are hella young but they could surprise!

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2018, 02:51 PM
When did the Rams and 49ers drop down to FCS??

superman7515
August 31st, 2018, 07:00 PM
When did the Rams and 49ers drop down to FCS??

Fordham has been FCS since 1989, Charlotte just moved out a couple of years ago.

VandalBasher
August 31st, 2018, 07:03 PM
I am much happier on my NFL diet.

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2018, 07:04 PM
Fordham has been FCS since 1989, Charlotte just moved out a couple of years ago.

Had no idea Charlotte were 49ers.

Why are they 49ers?

cx500d
August 31st, 2018, 07:16 PM

Why are they 49ers?

Why isn’t there a 69ers?

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2018, 08:16 PM
Why isn’t there a 69ers?
This is a man that knows how to ask the important questions.

hengeek
September 1st, 2018, 12:26 AM

Why are they 49ers?

"The nickname of the athletic team is the 49ers, indicative of the fact that UNC Charlotte (then Charlotte College) was saved from permanent closure in 1949. The mascot is "Norm the Niner," a gold miner."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_at_Charlotte

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2018, 06:34 AM
Rams pull the ‘upset’ here.

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 08:38 PM
Rams pull the ‘upset’ here.

Not quite an Upset Alert but Fordham's D did the Bend But Don't Break thing for a half and left the field only down 13-7.

Second half being delayed by lightening strikes in the area. ESPN+ has gone to a black screen while WFUV is using the break to play some pretty obscure yet very cool MoTown tunes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 08:59 PM
Any word on how long they'll wait? I just checked the radar and there's another cell over Charlotte. The 49ers Campus is Northeast of downtown.

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 09:07 PM
Any word on how long they'll wait? I just checked the radar and there's another cell over Charlotte. The 49ers Campus is Northeast of downtown.

The ESPN+ screen is still black but WFUV's football programming from Charlotte is back as they ended the on campus music show. BTW, that show w/all the great tunes is called The Boogie Down! No connection but good name all the same-lol

According to them, the game should restart w/the second half kickoff momentarily.

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM
ESPN+ now back as well. Charlotte gives up one first down then stops Fordham who punts. Fair catch fumbled, Fordham ball!!!!!

Go...gate
September 1st, 2018, 09:13 PM
Long delay..... Go Rams!

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 09:17 PM
Long delay..... Go Rams!
Thanks Gate and sorry to the Lehigh Owl about the Nova game.

Fordham again gets stuffed but settles for a FG to get within three. 13-10 Charlotte, two and a half minutes into the 3rd quarter.

TD Charlotte, up 20-10.

All-PL corner Dylan Mabin, who was burned once in the first half, got completely turned around and out of position on a 60 yard wounded duck that became the key play of that drive. Overall, I'm surprised at how well the D-line and LBs are playing but disappointed w/the secondary. On the O side, the line is a work in progress and the running game is only eh. The receiving core looks good although TE Isaiah Searight already has a few drops. Looks like QB Luke Medlock is gonna hafta be the difference but so far not seeing any signs of the next Kevin Anderson in him but we'll see.

Fordham punts.

Mabin again abused on a 3rd and 5 to keep a Charlotte drive alive. ESPN+ screen goes red. Back to WFUV where Charlotte seems to be slowly picking Fordham's D apart.

ESPN+ back up and running. Charlotte still driving, 3 for 3 on 3rd down conversions, twice via complete passes against Mabin, once via penalty. Deep in Fordham territory.

Third quarter comes to an end: Charlotte 20, Fordham 10. Rams gonna need a big stop to start the 4th!

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 09:45 PM
49ers convert on another 3rd down and get the TD to boot. Charlotte up 27-10 early in the 4th. Unless Chase & Anderson can figure out a way to Jerry Richardson Stadium, this one is over.

The Boogie Down
September 1st, 2018, 10:45 PM
Final: 49ers 34, Rams 10

Got ugly late but Fordham's D looked pretty solid for about 2 1/2 quarters. Except for a few broken plays were the secondary was victimized, the Rams hung in there. They wore down towards the end but the O should get partial blame for not being able to stay on the field. Once the lead grew to 20-10 that same O became one dimensional as they passed on just about every play. The O-line is gonna hafta block better for Medlock but, truth be told, he looked kinda awful. He has a great receiving core but his throws were all over the place. I think the O-line will come along in time but not sure about Medlock. As stated earlier, the running game is only "eh." But with better blocking down the road as the O-line grows together, and with a plethora of WRs to throw to, Medlock, more than anyone, is gonna hafta pick it up. If he does Fordham's O won't be too bad and I "think" they'll have enough D to squeak out some nice wins. If he doesn't, this might look like a typical Bucknell type of season. (Ironic since the Rams scored so often during the Chase/Anderson era while, like Lehigh, their horrific D always held them back.)