PDA

View Full Version : Who's your school's radio announcer?

bjtheflamesfan
March 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM
For all you guys out there, I thought Id try a little something:

Who does play by play for your football broadcasts and how long have they been doing it? For Liberty it would be Jerry Edwards. He will be going into his 27th year as the "Voice of the Flames" this fall

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Kooter Robertson...

Has been PA announcer or voice of the Kats on the radio for ages...

The goat that stands in the couch potatoes section is named after him...

Also does coverage of the local (Huntsvile HS) football team, SHSU basketball team and whatever local teams are in the playoffs in addition to his football duties...

Kooter is the morning show host on the local country radio station, KSAM...

JoltinJoe
March 18th, 2007, 07:36 AM
All Fordham football and basketball games are broadcast by WFUV 90.7 FM, Fordham's 50,000 watt station. Fordham uses student broadcasters for all its games.

In the past, Fordham games have been announced by the likes of Bob Papa (now the NY Giants' play-by-play announcer), Michael Kay (NY Yankees), Mike Breen (lead NBA announcer and NY Knicks), Charlies Slowes (Washington Nationals), Spero Dedes (LA Lakers), Tony Reali (host, ESPN's Around the Horn), Chris Carrino (NJ Nets), and back in the day the guy who has become the gold standard for baseball play-by-play -- Vin Scully.

Cobblestone
March 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Steve Macdonald does play-by-play, Terry Lynch color. They've been doing URI football together for over 10 years.

MR. CHICKEN
March 18th, 2007, 09:05 AM
MIKE COREY/BILL KOMISSAROFF..........94.7 FM WRDX (THE RIVER)...AWK!

WVUD 91.3 FM.........STUDENT STATION......SEAN GREENE/JIM NELSON....USED TA CALL.......NOT SURE IFIN' DEY'RE STILL DERE!

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Kooter Robertson...

Also does coverage of the local (Huntsvile HS) football team, SHSU basketball team and whatever local teams are in the playoffs in addition to his football duties...

I wish our announcer's name was Kooter.

PantherRob82
March 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Gary Rima. He's been there as long as I can remember. Can't find any stats at the moment.

FlyYtown
March 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Bob Hannon: WYTV-33 Sports Director
Play by Play for about 20+ years.

Dick Hartzell: Inventor/CEO/Owner of Jump Stretch Inc, home of the Stretch Bands that so many athletic teams use nowadays.
Color for 5-6 years now.

NDSUFREAK
March 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Scotty Miller "MYYYYY OHHHH MYYYYY"
Steve Hallstrom
Former BISON great Phil Hansen

Piss, i might have forgotten one. That is what happens when I get this withdrawl from FOOTBALL

NDSUFREAK
March 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I wish our announcer's name was Kooter.

"That might hurt em in the end, kooter."

Husky Alum
March 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM

I swear, for the unindoctrinated fan, you'd think that Phil's name was REALLY "Former Bison Great" as they don't mention the guy's name without the lead in. When I was in Fargo for the NU-NDSU game, I chuckled every time I heard it. I think it's funny.

NU's radio guy is Rob "Razor" Rudnick. The Razor has done NU games for at least 25 years.

His color guy is typically Bruce "No, I didn't get the job because my dad used to be President of Northeastern" Ryder.

Rudnick and Ryder used to to all NU sports - football, basketball, hockey.

Now, Rudnick does hockey with a bunch of different color guys.

Our commercial hoops announcer is the legendary Warner Fusselle.

AppGuy04
March 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
David Jackson, one of the best I've ever heard

catamount man
March 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Steve White and Gary Ayers. Ayers is the play by play guy while "Whitey" handles color commentary. White was WCU's SID from 1970-1998 and is known as WCU's official historian. Both are great guys!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The Sheriff
March 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Scotty Miller "MYYYYY OHHHH MYYYYY"
Steve Hallstrom

Piss, i might have forgotten one. That is what happens when I get this withdrawl from FOOTBALL
When's Ed Shultz going to join the team?

blackfordpu
March 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Kooter Robertson...

You forgot about LeRoy. :)

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You forgot about LeRoy. :)

Would you really consider Leroy, the radio announcer? He's more of a side show to Kooter. They're ingrained in Bearkat folklore like none other...

NDSUFREAK
March 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM

:pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke:

NDSUFREAK
March 18th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I swear, for the unindoctrinated fan, you'd think that Phil's name was REALLY "Former Bison Great" as they don't mention the guy's name without the lead in. When I was in Fargo for the NU-NDSU game, I chuckled every time I heard it. I think it's funny.

NU's radio guy is Rob "Razor" Rudnick. The Razor has done NU games for at least 25 years.

His color guy is typically Bruce "No, I didn't get the job because my dad used to be President of Northeastern" Ryder.

Well he was a great player in college and at the pro level. I believe he played 14 years and in 3 superbowls. I don't have a problem with it.:D :D

Btw, did you enjoy coming to Fargo despite the result?

bobcatfan06
March 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Bill Culhane, been the Voice of the Bobcats for a while.

Eyes of Old Main
March 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Mark Hauser has been the "Voice of the Terriers" for 15 years.

GeauxLions94
March 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Mark Willougby (PBP) xbowx xbowx xbowx and Damon Sunde (Color) xbowx xbowx xbowx have been handling ours for the last two years. Both do an outstanding job and are great guys in general.

Mark's regular job is scouting for the Marlins. Great voice for radio and has been involved with Southeastern athletics for years.

Damon also does hoops and baseball broadcasts (home games for both and selected road games).

catamount man
March 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Mark Hauser has been the "Voice of the Terriers" for 15 years.

Mark really gets into the game and that's all I'll say. WCCP was stupid for letting him go back in '05.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

EKU05
March 18th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Greg Stotelmyer is one of the best in the business. He's been calling Colonel football and basketball since 1979...he's had the play-by-play role for 23 years now. He's a news reporter for WTVQ in Lexington, and also hosts and produces the coaches show for both Danny Hope and Jeff Neubauer.

Oh, and by the way...

He graduated from WESTERN Kentucky University.

NU Hound29
March 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Its been Rob Rudnick and Bill Doherty for awhile now. As far as I can tell Ryder is not involved at all these days. Rob and Bill also do hockey together and have for 10 seasons. Rob has been calling NU sports for 29 years now.

Warner Fusselle and Jay Pearlmen do basketball.

Hockey, basketball, and football all on ESPN Radio in Boston.

Football, hockey, and basketball are also on WRBB the student station which has produced the likes of Don Orsillo.

slostang
March 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Randy Scovil is the voice of the Mustangs. He been at it for years but I am not sure how many.

rmutv
March 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Chris Shovlin does play by play while Bill Frederick does the color commentary for the home games and SID Jim Duzyk does the road games.

Shovlin has been the RMU broadcaster since football started in 1993.

bcrawf
March 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM
P-B-P is Gary Rima. Love the guy, really brings the game to you. He has been doing UNI football for 16 years.

Color is Scott Pedersen. He does a really great job and has been doing it for 20 years. He started with former pbp guy Clare Rampton...

JaxStateManager
March 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Jacksonville State is kinda screwed up with the radio situation right now. For some reason, Mike Parris, the only "Voice of the Fighting Gamecocks" I have ever known, was replaced by Matt Coulter in the Football booth. Parris still handles some Men's and Women's basketball, and Carl Brady takes the mic for the home baseball and softball games, we have no coverage for the road games anymore.

Husky Alum
March 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Its been Rob Rudnick and Bill Doherty for awhile now. As far as I can tell Ryder is not involved at all these days. Rob and Bill also do hockey together and have for 10 seasons. Rob has been calling NU sports for 29 years now.

Warner Fusselle and Jay Pearlmen do basketball.

Hockey, basketball, and football all on ESPN Radio in Boston.

Football, hockey, and basketball are also on WRBB the student station which has produced the likes of Don Orsillo.

I thought I heard Bruce do a couple of FB games in the recent past, but yes, Dots does do some football. Billy Doherty was the Assistant SID at Northeastern when I was in school and is one of the better hockey analysts around.

For the uninitiated, Don Orsillo is the TV voice of the Boston Red Sox and in one of his first games he broadcasted for the Sox (maybe even the first) called Hideo Nomo's no hitter against the Baltimore Orioles.

andy7171
March 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM
89.7fm WTMD has Spiro Morekas. Spiros been calling football, basketball and lacrosse for the last 17-18 years.

The Moody1
March 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM

He has improved a lot over the last few years and he is an alum. I hope he stays forever.

spelunker64
March 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I think Ed does a great job in play-by-play. Even though he went over to the 'dark' side. Maybe he'll be back now that clearchannel is out of KFGO again.

I like Scotty Miller, heard a lot of "My ohhh My" last year. xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
March 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Dick Hammer....The Greatest name in broadcasting does Lafayette Games on the AM, and has for about the last 40 years. Our TV guys on RCN cable arent my favorite, Play by Play guy Gary Laubauch is ok, but he is absolutely overwhelmed by the clown John Leone. Leone is the former Men's Basketball coach, he was fired after going 2-29, and he currently works in some capacity in the schools fund raising office. How can a school employee call the games on TV, a little strange I have always felt.

goasu984Life
March 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM

David Jackson and I did our internships with the Appalachian Sports Network. He was the sideline reporter and I did the video for the coaches' show.

ncbears
March 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Troy Coverdale is UNC's. He's somewhat new. Mike Rice was the "voice of the Bears" for quit a while. People around NOCO still are getting used to not hearing Mike on the radio.

http://http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:hwciu10fjzN0kM:http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/ncol/genrel/genrel/auto_original/186656.jpeg

ncbears
March 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I think Ed does a great job in play-by-play. Even though he went over to the 'dark' side. Maybe he'll be back now that clearchannel is out of KFGO again.

I like Scotty Miller, heard a lot of "My ohhh My" last year. xthumbsupx

THE Ed Shultz I hear on Air America radio?

The Sheriff
March 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
THE Ed Shultz I hear on Air America radio?
You are correct. Along with his popular radio show, he has spent some time in the booth for UND and NDSU.

GOKATS
March 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Dean Alexander was the 'Voice of the Bobcats' (FB & MBB) forever, but he stepped down a few years back & we were really worried about replacing him. The 'Cats were extremely fortunate in picking up Kris Attebury as the new 'Voice of the Bobcats' the past few years, but Kris is going to work in an annoncing capacity for the Minnesota Twins and wrapped up his MSU career with the end of MBB.

The search is on for the next 'Voice of the Bobcats', hopefully we'll have another great one come fall ball.

I Bleed Purple
March 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Carl "The Wildcat" Arky has been WSU's for several years now. He's good. He does a show on a sports radio station in Salt Lake (at least I think he's still there, I listen to the other sports radio station). However, when Weber had both a basketball and football game, Steve Klauke, who is the voice of Salt Lake's AAA baseball club and has done a few Jazz games, did the football game, and damn, is he good.

appfan2008
March 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I do not know if i would go that far... sure he is good but not great... I do like him a lot though mainly because he is a APP guy and you can tell he wont jump ship for a bigger job.

chattanoogamocs
March 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Jim "J.R." Reynolds is the Voice of the Mocs (football and men's basketball)...he has now been on the job for close to 30 years (this fall will be his 29th). He came from the State of Illinois, figured he would stay for a couple of years before moving on...he fell in love with Chattanooga and never left.

Below is from when he was inducted in the Great Chattanooga Sports Hall of Fame (last year)...

Jim Reynolds: Known as the Voice of the Mocs, Reynolds has served as play-by-play announcer for football and basketball at UTC for 27 years. He is the dean of Southern Conference broadcasters. A graduate of Illinois State, he served as that school's football and basketball voice before coming to UTC. He also spent time as a play-by-play announcer for the University of Illinois basketball team.

I always like J.R. because he does not get too homerish, he does not say "we", he doesn't go nuts (ok, he did when the Mocs went to the Sweet 16 in 1996)...and he will admit it when the other team gets jobbed on a call.

Bark first then Bite
March 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Justin Firesheets is Samford's play-by-play guy. We utilize different color & sideline guys for various sports. Games are heard on 91.1 FM locally in Birmingham & can be accessed on the web at AL.com. Justin is a young guys & brings a lot of energy. At times, he needs a dose of mellowing - maybe that will come with age & experience. Great name for a journalist, huh?

UNHWILDCATS05
March 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Wildcat football play by play is done by veteran UNH announcer Jim Jeannotte, who has been broadcasting Wildcat athletics since 1973. The color guy is Mike Murphy, I'm not sure how long he has been doing it.